PDA

View Full Version : FO! Central Park Hoodie for DD!

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi'ya! :waving:

I finished this hoodie for my DD! Yeah! I was so inspired by the CPH's I saw here at KH that I just HAD TO knit one for my DD!

I used the yarn recommended in the pattern: Tahki Donegal Tweed, in the color shown in the model, a leafy green. I found the best price at www.yarn.com (WEBS) They delivered the yarn fairly quickly. The yarn was scratchy feeling, but after I washed and rinsed the swatch...the scratchiness disappeared. BTW, I used hair conditioner in the 2nd rinse. I hand-washed and rinsed the swatch using UNICORN FIBRES Wash and Rinse. It is a high quality fiber wash and rinse that works wonderfully!

My modifications: I handstitched a zipper into place rather than buttons/buttonholes and made the sleeves 2" shorter than the pattern specs. DD is 5'3"...and shorties like her & I have arms that are shorter than taller women. I am so happy with the fit! It looked like I actually made it just for her figure! It fits perfect in all aspects! I made the size 40 for roominess. Afterall, it is a hoodie jacket. Ya gotta leave room for clothing underneath!

Well, here are some photos of my beautiful, green-eyed, big-hearted daughter in her Central Park Hoodie! She's wearing it tonight to the movies with her husband and friends!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3724.jpg

Hood down!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3725.jpg

Outside in the yard!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3730.jpg

Trying a different camera angle!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3729.jpg

Zipper application (handstitched close to the teeth)
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3723.jpg

Back View
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3720.jpg

Side View
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3718.jpg

pineapplesnowballs
12-21-2007, 07:16 PM
OMGosh, it's BEAUTIFUL!

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 07:20 PM
OMGosh, it's BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks pineapplesnowballs! :waving: I really worked hard on perfecting the appearance by careful, meticulous blocking. It really did improve the overall look!

dustinac
12-21-2007, 08:24 PM
:happydance: It looks great!!! :thumbsup:

Mariblue
12-21-2007, 09:13 PM
:cheering: Simply beautiful!

tootie44
12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
It is beautful, and looks perfect on her! She really looks a lot like you!

mhansen
12-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Absolutely beautiful. Your daughter looks like you.

ArtLady1981
12-21-2007, 09:39 PM
:waving:Thanks everyone!

My daughter is my kindred spirit! Unconditional love! How nice is that!!?? :thumbsup:

Pat in Ca
12-21-2007, 11:03 PM
What a beautiful sweater on an equally beautiful girl..I can only dream that some day I could knit something that wonderful

ChrissyB
12-21-2007, 11:24 PM
WOW!!! Do you need another DD? :roflhard:

callmesusan
12-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Wow! that turned out awesomely. WTG :thumbsup: Great choice in the tweed yarn.

ah
12-22-2007, 12:28 AM
Fabulous!

ArtLady1981
12-22-2007, 12:46 AM
Wow! that turned out awesomely. WTG :thumbsup: Great choice in the tweed yarn.

Ah, t'anks! :notworthy:

I bought the yarn that the model sweater was knit with! My DD just loved it, and it is hard to find that shade of leaf green tweed anywhere else! I had to send away for the yarn...at WEBS...and got a good discount for spending over a certain $$ amount.

My DD!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3724.jpg

The model sweater as seen in the magazine!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/13-central-park-hoodie.jpg

CindyH
12-22-2007, 01:19 AM
The sweater is beautiful, and it looks great on your beautiful daughter!

soobeeoz
12-22-2007, 05:44 AM
It looks fantastic, and I love the colour. You and your daughter look so much alike. :)

ritaw
12-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Beautiful work :)

lauraknits
12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Beautiful job as always! You shame me, I haven't touched mine since I commented on yours on ravelry!!

Suziblues
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
That hoodie is beautiful, and so is your green eyed daughter! Nice knitting.
I was wondering how to put a zipper in something knit. I made my grand son a red hoodie and need to put a 6" zipper, but haven't a clue how.
ANYWAY: GREAT JOB!:thumbsup:

KnittingNat
12-22-2007, 03:24 PM
That is sooooo beautiful and your daughter is :passedout: beautiful also! What a colour.... Hey, I'm green eyed too and green is my favourite colour:?? ... Would you consider adoption :teehee:? Honestly, that is just a perfect knitting!

dreamsherl
12-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Wow! Your CPH looks great. I hope that the one that I'm working (for DD also) on looks this good.

Jan in CA
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
I've been eyeing that sweater now that you can get the pattern on Knitting Daily. It's beautiful and so is your daughter! :thumbsup:

Slim
12-22-2007, 07:07 PM
It's absolutely beautiful! The yarn is ideal for that pattern and the cable work is perfect. Your daughter is lovely in it. She looks so much like you. She's very fortunate to have a mother who is willing to work so hard to create the perfect gift!

MerigoldinWA
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Great sweater ArtLady. You did a wonderful job of choosing the size and altering it to fit your daughter. Your daughter is a beauty. I thought the picture was of a professional model when the picture first started coming in. You do show the model from a book or pattern sometimes. :) Then I realized that it was your daughter. The hoodie is perfect for her.:thumbsup:

Debkcs
12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
As usual, Dollyce, you've created something truly beautiful, and the sweater looks great too! ;)

Your daughter does look like you, and the sweater fits her perfectly. Wonderful Hoodie!

mdog182
12-22-2007, 10:56 PM
:inlove: :inlove: :passedout: that is sooooo beautiful!

mks22300
12-23-2007, 01:31 AM
Beautiful job! :heart:

GiddyKnitter
12-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Artlady your work is very professional ... The fit and the colour choice is perfect.
I bought the pattern on Knitting Daily last week...I haven't decided on the yarn yet.
I have to say I think I prefer it with a zip rather than buttons its a neater finish.
I bet your beautiful DD was really pleased with her hoodie.

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 10:23 PM
That hoodie is beautiful, and so is your green eyed daughter! Nice knitting.
I was wondering how to put a zipper in something knit. I made my grand son a red hoodie and need to put a 6" zipper, but haven't a clue how.
ANYWAY: GREAT JOB!:thumbsup:

Hi Suziblues!

To install a zipper:
1) place the sweater on a flat surface, face up
2) place the closed zipper, face up, under the ribbing
3) take a very sharp needle with bright contrasting thread and baste the zipper to the ribbing
4) take two strands of DMC floss (exact color match) and begin to hand stitch the zipper to the ribbing, in and out along the last row of the ribbing, not counting the bind off row
5) remove the basting

The hand stitching I use is just teeny straight stitches in and out.
Because the DMC floss is an exact match, the stitches are invisible from the public side.

This method is sturdier than you'd imagine! It works!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3723.jpg

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Artlady your work is very professional ... The fit and the colour choice is perfect.
I bought the pattern on Knitting Daily last week...I haven't decided on the yarn yet.
I have to say I think I prefer it with a zip rather than buttons its a neater finish.
I bet your beautiful DD was really pleased with her hoodie.

Hi Pauline!

Thanks! :waving: I appreciate your kind words, and everyone's!

It is a really easy pattern! If I were going to make a CPH for myself, I would use Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran Tweed. It has a 5% cashmere content, and would be so much softer to work with and to wear! Jo Shark Silkroad Tweed (either Aran or DK) have great colors to chose from! However, my DD loved the leaf green tweed of the model CPH...hard to find elsewhere, so I just ordered the Takhi Donegal Tweed from WEBS.

Yes, I think a zipper is most appropriate for a hoodie, too!
I would rather have no closures at all rather than buttons. Buttons take away from the hoodie/jacket look IMHO.

Ravelry has a CPH knitalong still running! Lots of knitters using lots of different kinds of yarn. And, lots of knitters changing the designer's directions. Most of these knitters, IMHO, are just trading one problem for another. Mostly, they are knitting the CPH all in one piece (the fronts and back together) for the reason of avoiding the seaming process. Some are even talking about knitting the sleeves 'in the round' to avoid seaming the sleeves! So! Can you picture this: seaming a "sleeve tube" into a "body hole" (the sleeve hole)??? Tee Hee! I'd love to see those sleeve insertion seams! ;)

The only modification I made is: I picked up about 35 extra stitches for the "button bands". I noticed that several finishing CPH's seemed to have button bands that were warped, like they didn't have enough stitches. That was my warning. So I tried adding extra stitches to my picked up stitches, and it was perfect.

I block, block, block. I can't overemphasis that enough. Blocking your pieces before seaming makes all the difference. It "polishes" the stitches!

Anyways, thanks for your interest in my work. I am really just a good "pattern follower"! There are so many accomplished knitters that design their own patterns here at KH! I am in awe of my fellow knitters! I feel like a kindygartner in this world of knitting!

ArtLady1981
12-23-2007, 10:46 PM
One of the nicest things about my DD: she writes (and mails!) thank you letters/cards for every thing I have ever knitted for her and her two girls! She takes the utmost care of the fine knits I have given them! If is acrylic, she will machine wash/dry...but she will take teeny scissors and snip off the pills...if it a fine non-washable yarn, she will handwash and lay flat to dry!

In other words, she shows her appreciation! Lovely girl! :heart:

This is DD, modeling a 3/4 coat I made for her last year. It is an Elsebeth Lavold design (using Elsebeth's signature yarn "Cable Cotton"! A simple coat that turned out to be a PITA! :teehee: Pattern errors!
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/FullLength.jpg

WandaT
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow! I can't imagine the work that went into this! And I'm a knitter! LOL Incredible finished project - I know your DD just loves it!

cmhoover1
12-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Wow! that's really beautiful! I could never do a zipper!!:woohoo:

BlueEyezz
12-24-2007, 12:09 PM
hello? gorgeous!!!! i can't wait until i'm good enough at knitting tp make this....

Itsabtme
12-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Love it!!!!

tropicallie
12-24-2007, 05:30 PM
ArtLady, that is a gorgeous hoodie. And a gorgeous daughter as well. Congrats on both. From her smile, I can tell she loves it.

Dangles
12-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Wow, what an excellent job, Artlady! :yay:

Jaxhil
12-24-2007, 07:09 PM
:inlove::muah::cheering:

WOW!! That is *GORGEOUS*!! And I have to say (like so many others, lol) that your DD is beautiful, and she really does look just like you!

Now I really can't wait to make one too-thanks so much for all the great tips!

bethany
12-24-2007, 09:23 PM
It's lovely. I love seeing your FOs! Thanks too for the modifications info and the softening tips!

dmknits
01-01-2008, 06:45 PM
:inlove: So beautiful! Thanks for the zipper installation instructions too.

Indygirl
01-01-2008, 07:14 PM
What a beautiful model. You did a great job on the sweater. I love it, Love the color too :heart:

dawnk777
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I can totally relate to short arms! It looks great on her! You did a beautiful job knitting it for her!

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks thanks and many thanks to all of you who love my DD's Central Park Hoodie! I don't think I have ever worked so hard on a sweater, even more complicated sweater! The blocking was a real challenge, and had to be done in so many stages! Phew. Anyhoo, I am so glad it FIT HER so well! :cheering: I have worked long and hard on sweaters for myself that haven't fit half as well as hers does on her!

Jen17
01-01-2008, 10:10 PM
and the hoodie is gorgeous! I just got home and I'm on the site for the first time in 2 weeks and this was the first post I started reading..and I read through the whole thread!
Thanks for sharing the zipper application and the washing and rinse.
You mentioned that the blocking took a lot of work. I block almost everything by misting with water and pinning it and letting it dry. How did you block your hoodie?
Thanks again...beautiful work!
Jen

ArtLady1981
01-01-2008, 11:47 PM
and the hoodie is gorgeous! I just got home and I'm on the site for the first time in 2 weeks and this was the first post I started reading..and I read through the whole thread!
Thanks for sharing the zipper application and the washing and rinse.
You mentioned that the blocking took a lot of work. I block almost everything by misting with water and pinning it and letting it dry. How did you block your hoodie?
Thanks again...beautiful work!
Jen

Hi Jen! Aw shucks :aww: thanks! We aren't sisters, but WE ARE kindred spirits!

Regarding the blocking: I usually block with the use of blocking wires, pinning to a blocking board, and laying almost soppy wet towels on top, and leaving til bone dry.

However, this Tahki Donegal Tweed was so icky and scratchy...that I did a trial blocking of the 4"x4" swatch like this: I washed it in UNICORN Fibre Wash, then rinsed it in UNICORN Fibre Rinse, then rinsed again using just hair conditioner in the water. Then, pressed out the excess water between towels and pinned out to dry. Not only did the yarn become soft, it also "bloomed" nicely. By that I mean, the stitches 'filled in' and weren't a holey looking. A lot of green dye came out into the water, too. Maybe that excess dye made the yarn feel hard and scratchy.

The blocking process had to be done in stages:
1) the Fronts and Back by themselves
2) the Sleeves by themselves
3) the hood, by itself, after being attached to the body, but before the sleeve insertion...while sleeves are still drying
4) the ribbing, after the side, sleeve and hood seams were finished
5) finally, a general misting/blocking of the sleeve seams and the
'zipper ribbing' after the zipper was installed

Here is a photo of my hood laying out, trying to dry, attached to the already blocked-and-dried body pieces! (I washed/rinsed it like a little girl's head of hair...leaning over into the basin, without getting the body wet!)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3630.jpg

merryknitter
01-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Your daughter looks just like you and she's beautiful!

I love your work...it's always amazing!

Would you like to adopt another daughter? Please?

Thanks for sharing!

msoebel
01-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Your daughter is so pretty! That green was a great choice for her!

I don't know how you do it...but your projects are always gorgeous!

Jen17
01-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi, Thank you so much! I'm going to print this out and save for future reference. Can I bother you with another question?? LOL!
When you say you lay sopping wet towels on top, you mean you take some towels get them sopping wet, put it on top of the piece you are blocking and let the WHOLE thing just sit there and dry? That must take days!?
Also, the blocking wires..where do you buy them and how are they better/different than just using pins and a misting bottle?
Thanks for letting me "pick your brain"! Ewh, that sounds yuck!, but you know what I mean, lol!
Jen

auburnchick
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
First of all, I have no idea how I missed this thread.

:passedout:

Ok...that said...ArtLady, I've submitted the paperwork for adoption into your family (sorry folks, but I called it first). You'll never notice one more gal in the fray...except that my locks are a tad lighter than your girls'. However, I'm willing to dye my hair to fit in.

Thanks for all of the helpful information you provided. I absolutely hate blocking, but I can see from your efforts that it truly finishes a piece.

You are an inspiration to struggling knitters like myself.

:muah:

Kithic
01-03-2008, 12:54 PM
That is absolutely gorgeous and you daughter is beautiful! Thank you for your detailed posts as I''ll be starting on the CPH as soon as my yarn arrives.

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi, Thank you so much! I'm going to print this out and save for future reference. Can I bother you with another question?? LOL!
When you say you lay sopping wet towels on top, you mean you take some towels get them sopping wet, put it on top of the piece you are blocking and let the WHOLE thing just sit there and dry? That must take days!?
Also, the blocking wires..where do you buy them and how are they better/different than just using pins and a misting bottle?
Thanks for letting me "pick your brain"! Ewh, that sounds yuck!, but you know what I mean, lol!
Jen

Hi Jen!

The wires are called "Lace Blocking Wires", and they are available from Knitpicks.com Click HERE (http://www.knitpicks.com/Lace+Blocking+Wires_AD80315.html)
And the blocking board with grids is called the Space Board. It is also available at KnitPicks.com Click HERE (http://www.knitpicks.com/Space+Board_AD80012.html) to see it, too.

At Patternworks, the wires are called BLOCKERS. Click HERE (http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/900013.htm) to view and compare pricing.
And, HERE (http://www.patternworks.com/productdetail/900020.htm) is the Spaceboard at patternworks for price comparison.

I don't know if Patternworks offers free shipping on orders over $45 like KnitPicks does. Free shipping is sweet, and may offset the slightly higher prices at KnitPicks. Compare Patternworks shipping policies. I didn't see FREE SHIPPING advertised on their homepage.

The wires and blocking boards are the same thing on each website.
I love my blocking board, and sometimes wish I had two, and another set of the wires!

Well, I have special towels set aside and dedicated for blocking. They are washed and dryed by themselves, with no fabric softeners, no bleach, etc. This is to prevent any contaminants in the towels from affecting the yarn color. Other than that, they are just white towels. To prepare for blocking, I soak them in a sink full of cool water, and squeeze out the water as best I can. The towels don't drip on the floor when I carry them to the be placed on top of the sweater pieces that are "wired" and "pinned down" on the blocking board. Yes, I let the whole mess sit til bone dry. Yes, it does take a couple days (less in summer!) but while they are drying, I start a new project! :cheering: You know, the planning, the notebook, the charts, the swatching, and maybe the cast on! :cheering: But as soon as the pieces are dry, I stop my new project and get to seaming the garment.

The blocking wires are a quicker, more uniform way to spread out and pin down your garments, and scarves! The wires thread into the side 'edge stitches' of the garment pieces. I still need to pin a few things like the shoulders, the ribbing, etc. Blocking wires prevent pin 'pull marks' in scarves especially! Although, with scarves, I usually just mist the tar out of them, and let sit til bone dry. (no towels on top of the scarves)

Here are some closeups of my CPH whilst it was still on the wires & blocking board. Notice, when the side edges are threaded with the wires, it is only necessary to pull the wires out to the right width, and pin the wires down. No pins in the sweater at all really.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3629-1.jpg

These garment pieces were already dry, and ready to be removed from the blocking board, but I stopped and took a photo for some Ravelry CPH/KAL folks. I can't say enough about how much proper blocking improves on the appearance of a sweater. Maybe a sweater looks nice BEFORE BLOCKING, but it always improves AFTER BLOCKING, almost to a professional level. That's why I take the time.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3628-1.jpg

Here is a photo of the wires:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/ArtLadyDMB/100_3626-1.jpg

ArtLady1981
01-03-2008, 08:18 PM
First of all, I have no idea how I missed this thread.

:passedout:

Ok...that said...ArtLady, I've submitted the paperwork for adoption into your family (sorry folks, but I called it first). You'll never notice one more gal in the fray...except that my locks are a tad lighter than your girls'. However, I'm willing to dye my hair to fit in.

Thanks for all of the helpful information you provided. I absolutely hate blocking, but I can see from your efforts that it truly finishes a piece.

You are an inspiration to struggling knitters like myself.

:muah:

You're a hoot! :rofl: Yeah, I'd adopt you in a heartbeat :heart: if I didn't already have 3 daughters and 8 granddaughters! :eyes:

Thanks for your kind words! :hug: I needed a big ole hug today!

There is also a CPH-KAL going here at KH. I'm not participating in it actually, but every now and then, I poke my nose in and see if I my 2 cents worth will help them out! :eyebrow:

I am also kinda helping in the same way in 1st Sweater KAL. Two knitters revived it recently, on page 29 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57668&page=29) of the KAL...Rhea and Abbilly posted about halfway down the page...but they seem to be doing just fine on their own. One is designing her first sweater as a top down raglan pullover, using basic sweater principles. The other is knitting a cabled pullover by Zimmerman....it is a simple dropped shoulder pullover, very easy to seam...and the cabling is just to die for. She posted a link for the FREE PATTERN, and I am inspired to do it myself sometime in the future.

Right now, I am working on a dozen little girl's sweaters for two of my granddaughters. I have one completed, and the next one is 90%.

I must also get my BORGHILD seamed, and the I-cord straps attached to the matching cami-tank top. I have been sick with this virus (for the first time in 8 years)! I got 8 year's worth in 30 days. Sigh. I haven't had the motivation to seam BORGHILD.
I don't know why I am putting her off. :shrug:

Again, little auburnchick, thanks for the pick-me-up! :muah:

Ronda
01-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I expect nothing but perfection from you, and you never disappoint me! It's beautiful, and so is your daughter.

Arielluria
06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
:muah:Beautiful! And she's beautiful too!

GirlChris
06-14-2008, 07:57 PM
First of all the hoodie & coat are perfection itself

Your daughter is both beautiful and kind which I have a feeling she gets both from you (I bet your kids are your best FOs LOL)

I have learned from this thread why my knitting stinks. Don't get me wrong, I mean learned in a good way. The things I have seen from you are always really great and I can now see why. It is your organization and attention to detail that does it. I don't have either so I can see some place to improve upon and it is inspiring to me.

Crafty_Mel
06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
I am GREEN with envy of your talants!!! :yay: and I totally want that sweater!!!:heart:

jberry16
06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Great job, & your DD is beautiful!

domiknitrix
06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
BEAUTIFUL!!! So inspiraring. I put my CPH down months ago and when I get home, I will be picking it back up. I only have to do the arms and the hood. THANK YOU! Your daughter looks great in it.

ArtLady1981
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!! So inspiraring. I put my CPH down months ago and when I get home, I will be picking it back up. I only have to do the arms and the hood. THANK YOU! Your daughter looks great in it.

Hi!

I hosted a KAL for a blue Central Park Hoodie.(I liked hers so much that I made one for myself as well! The KAL has a lot of tips and and step-by-step photos and stuff!

You might find something of use!

Artlady's Central Park Hoodie KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77877)