PDA

View Full Version : A promise to myself

Debkcs
12-23-2007, 02:35 PM
In 2008, any 'gift' not done by November 30th will be substituted for and given the next year. I'm not going to stress myself out next year trying to finish last minute items.

Mmmmm

:roflhard: :mrgreen: :roflhard:

Who am I kidding? Seriously though, why do we do this to ourselves? I have one thing left, for my DGD, she won't know if it doesn't get done, but I want it done!

Knitting_Guy
12-23-2007, 05:12 PM
:rofl: I am taking a short break from my own gift knitting. Next year I am starting in Feb.

I'm on the last one though, and it's almost finished. :cheering:

iwouldratherbeknitting
12-23-2007, 05:27 PM
I think it's like putting too much food on your plate when you were a kid... The saying in the south was: "Your eyes were bigger than your plate."

Our knitting desires.. sometimes far outweigh our realistic abilities to finish all that we want to do for others. But, we do not work in a knitting factory.. and sometimes 'life' gets in the way of getting everything finished in time.. much less.. sometimes I think that 'more was wanted to be knitted'' than could possibly get finished anyway.

Your plan sounds like a good one. Or how about alternating 'knitting gifts' to every other year w/ the people that you knit for? I don't knit for that many.. and fortunately had knitted some this summer while on an International flight (I'm a teacher and tend to have more time to knit in the summer anyway) and it's a good thing that I did- because, I got a tendon injury in my hand in Oct that was 'unexpected' and halted all knitting projects until recently. So, this year.. there were 2 knitted gifts ONLY sent out to loved ones.. (and those two gifts went to two individuals who had never received a hand-knitted gift from me) and the 7 knitted hats, that I already had knitted, for donation to Afghanistan.

I only got these things finished because I had already started early for my holiday knitting- or I would have had almost nothing to give/donate. It wasn't much the way it was.. but, I couldn't help that. And, I stll felt bad about it. Sigh

Debkcs
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Your plan sounds like a good one. Or how about alternating 'knitting gifts' to every other year w/ the people that you knit for?

Great idea! And I will have to start in February, also, Mason.

My family and friends say they love my handmade gifts, so I continue to believe them and sew and knit and crochet for them. :grphug:

Lisa R.
12-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I think it's like putting too much food on your plate when you were a kid... The saying in the south was: "Your eyes were bigger than your plate."

We were always told, "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach!" :)

I decided I was finished knitting gifts about the first week of December, and began relaxing. Then thought of a few more I could "whip up quickly." So I just finished my last one last night!

I felt better when I took a couple hours off to put in an appearance at a party, and found a friend who brought her knitting so she could finish up!

Lots of that last minute knitting going on!!!

knitncook
12-24-2007, 11:19 AM
:cheering: That sounds like an excellent plan! Way less stressful!

lelvsdgs
12-24-2007, 01:08 PM
February is the perfect start date! :happydance: I have done pretty well this year considering I didn't really start until October. I have one last gift to finish (a hat for a male co-worker) but I don't see him until the 26th so it's all good.
I am already planning my list for next year... :roflhard:

Debkcs
12-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Done! :woohoo:

Just put the finishing touches on the little sweater for my DGD. It's CottonTots, so I'll give it a wash, dry it, and wrap it up with a bow!

Hope all of you have a wonderful Christmas Day!

GinnyG
12-24-2007, 01:19 PM
I'm on the last sleeve of a sweater that is a gift...... waiting for the mail today because there is supposed to be a skein of yarn in it that I need to finish the sweater!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be up late tonight!!!! (if it comes of course).