PDA

View Full Version : Should I let my 16 yr old daughter get her navel pierced?

Pat in Ca
12-26-2007, 06:29 PM
OK.. you guys always have great imput on things.. my 16 yr old daughter wants to get her belly button pierced.. at first I thought well.. OK,, it's fairly harmless.. but I looked on web md and they said you can get hepatitus and even HIV ..She is now mad at me for being such a fuddy duddy..Do any of you have experience with this? Thanks for helping me be a better mom.

Eccie
12-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I dopn't have any piercings but several of my friends do and they've had no bad experiences ( well one had an allergic reaction to the metal used but that doens't count:P ) I think as long as you go to a reputable piercer and make sure they use clean instruments there shouldn't be a problem.

Mrs. Columbo
12-26-2007, 06:54 PM
My daughter had hers done when she was fourteen. I was out here visiting my now husband for a month and she was back home. It wasn't done right the first time and had to be redone but it was due to the positioning of it. The only trouble she had with it was from ME!! :tap:

Knitting_Guy
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I have no piercings, but do have several tats. If it's done in a clean shop that uses FRESH UNOPENED needles, it shouldn't be a problem. Steer well clear of any place that sterilizes and reuses their needles and other tools that pierce the skin.

cdjack
12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
My step-sister's piercing got infected. And she was very careful and meticulous about keeping it clean. It was really disgusting. It took awhile to heal.

Lucy78green
12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
I think the navel is the worst for getting infected, make sure she cleans it properly or else she could get blood poisoning. Personally I am allergic to anything other than silver or gold, even surgical steel makes my skin react so make sure she knows if she is allergic to any metals as well. http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/body_piercing_information/body_piercing_faq.cfm

auburnchick
12-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I would be inclined to say no (bet you're not surprised) but only because of what I've read about infections. I would also be inclined to wonder why she wants it pierced. I tend to be pretty conservative. I have no problem with piercings...my dd has two in each ear as well as one higher up on her ear, but I would question exactly "who" she's doing the naval piercing for.

I would tell my dd that she can pay for it when she's on her own...but not now.

Just my .02. :hug:

mwhite
12-26-2007, 07:22 PM
NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Oh, come now, modern science and cleanliness can probably make it okay and keep her from getting an infection but do you really think she's old enough to make this kind of a decision? And think about it, who's she gonna be impressing with it and why? Believe me, I'm not standing here being negative because I never did anything like this but I did eventually decide that it was just a phase and was glad I'd lived through it or glad I decided not to do it....

Lord, help me, I'm my mother! :teehee:

Okay, I'm off the soapbox, just another opinion! MARY

annomalley
12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
This subject has never come up in my household, but if it did, I'd tell my 16 year old son no you're not getting a belly ring/earring/nose ring/eye brow/tongue piercing, but when he's 18, then he's legally an adult and can get one without my permission.

boo1
12-26-2007, 07:45 PM
I think she would have to pay for it and she would DEFINTELY have to make good grades before I'd let her.

I just worry about how boys see that sort of thing. I'm sure many think nothing of it, but what about they ones that think she's sending a message.

I do think girls with flat bellies (NOT me) look great in them, but there is NOTHING wrong with being a 'fuddy duddy'. You just want what's best for her.

tough decision. Good luck!

scout52
12-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Is she a good student? is she a responsible child? Has she been having discipline problems? Does she have a job to pay for the piercing herself?

If she is a good student, a responsible child, has a job to pay for it herself and has not had any discipline problems I would say let her have it. Why? because its not permanent. They can be removed. Having a peircing doesn't say anything you are not telling the boys by your behavior. I have a tattoo and 8 piercings. I didn't drink, or do drugs while in high school or mess with boys. I paid for my tattoo and piercings myself. I also paid for college and law school myself. Just because you have piercings and tattoos does not say anything. The message is the one you give by your actions. If she is giving a message that she is a good responsible girl, then having a navel ring is not going to change that.

My navel piercing did not get infected. It looks pretty. she has to take care of it for 1 year EVERY day. Be sure she knows that. its just like your earrings. if you do not want an ugly hole you have to take care of it. they also sell rings that are nude so it wont show if you don't want it to.

I have a good job and no one knows that I have a navel piercing or am tattooed. At the company retreat some people saw my navel ring at the pool and were shocked because they thought I was so prissy. :rofl: :rofl: So if she is a good responsible girl, I say let her. It didn't do me any harm.

Pat in Ca
12-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Wow, I really appreciate all the imput here..I am still feeling undecided..Yes, some info about my daughter would be helpful.... she is getting straight A's (except one B in Chemestry).. she works very hard at her school work, she takes dance and excels at that.. She does not drink (Sophores in HS now mostly all drink alcohol)..
She wanted me to buy her a "purity ring" which she wears proudly
to school ("True Love Waits"), so she is a good girl..active in a church group.. that is one reason I was considering letting her do it, because teenagers need to rebel in some way, and I would rather her do something like a body piercing than drugs, cigs, sex. etc, etc etc!! It does worry me though the message it would send... she has a date for a dance coming up that I think she wants to impress him.. But, I really don't understand what the message a navel piercing sends? Look at my belly?? I am too old to have a teenager..

auburnchick
12-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Your daughter sounds awesome!

Here's the thing, though. If you have reservations about the naval ring, just tell her no. Who cares if she thinks you're a fuddy duddy. Teenagers naturally think that of their parents. It sounds like you are doing a great job raising her, but when you give the ocassional no, it should mean just that.

:hug: to whatever you decide.

Knitting_Guy
12-26-2007, 10:43 PM
The difference between a teenager and a puppy is after six months the puppy stops whining.

alleusion
12-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Absolutely not!! If you're in the US, they have very strict restrictions on piercing and tattoing. I have a friend that went to jail for 6 months for working on a girl two days shy of her 18th birthday.

Besides the fact that the navel is slow to heal, constantly gets irritated due to the rise of clothing, and easily infected. Should she desire to obtain such a piercing when she is of legal age, I say more power to her. I've already told my daughter I'll drive her there myself....when she's 18.

I've got tats, and have had my tongue pierced twice, so it's not like I'm totally against the idea. Just take into consideration that it's illegal for her to have body piercings done before she's 18 and she can risk the person doing it their freedom.

Silver
12-27-2007, 12:05 AM
I am all for tats and piercings. I have 6 tattoos and 2 (non earlobe) piercings.

It sounds like she's a good girl. Ultimately the decision is yours on wether she's old enough or responsible enough. So I'll stay out of that argument.

As far as infection and risk goes, if you go to a reputable tattoo/piercing shop, the risk of AIDS or Hepatitis is practically nil. Make sure they use a new needle out of a steril package. They should open it right there in front of you. If they don't, then refuse it and ask for a new PACKAGED needle. I would NEVER go to a shop that wasn't WELL known and reputable in my town. Never. Ever. Ever. Even for a free tattoo. :noway:

However, the naval piercing is one of the most notorious for infections due to clothing, sweat, and germs. But theres no reason that she can't take good care of it and keep it clean and healthy. Again, depends on her responsibility... your call.

Even if it does get infected, with proper care, it's like any other wound. She may need to take it out, and it'll heal, leaving a tiny if any scar. Sure, under bad circumstances, it could turn into a nasty infection and not heal, leaving a gaping hole in her belly. But Mom, are you really gonna let that happen?

Piercings are NOT permenant. If you think she's old enough, and responsible enough, I say let her have her fun while she still has a flat tummy. :thumbsup:

Chikky
12-27-2007, 12:22 AM
I have no piercings, but do have several tats. If it's done in a clean shop that uses FRESH UNOPENED needles, it shouldn't be a problem. Steer well clear of any place that sterilizes and reuses their needles and other tools that pierce the skin.

This is true, if you decide to let her get it. Do research on the place, make sure it's reputable, take a look around. I only have ear piercings and one tattoo, and boy did I agonize over that.

Though personally I think she's too young. But that's just me, maybe.

Krystal
12-27-2007, 01:28 AM
My mom always said "So long as it isn't permanent, illegal, or dangerous go ahead" lol.

I had my eyebrow peirced when I was 16, and LOOOVED it. I ended up removing it a few years later. My mom made me check up on all the proper care, and I of course payed for it myself.

Tattoo's had to wait till I was 18. She wanted no part in any permanent additions.

While the potential for an infection could be dangerous, so long as she goes to a good peircer, with you there, pays for it herself, and keeps it clean, she should be ok.

She may also not really want to impress anyone but herself. My mom thought I was trying to impress my friends with my eyebrow, but I truly just thought it looked really neat and fit with my personality. As I got older I decided that it didn't fit anymore. Same for my cousin actually. She has had tonge, bellybutton, nose and eyebrow done when she was 14-17. She ended up ditching them all at some point or another, except her bellybutton until recently when she became pregnant.

hummingbird
12-27-2007, 03:32 AM
She sounds like a good and responsible teenager. A piercing like that doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. She can always take it out later if she changes her mind.
I wouldn't worry about who she's trying to impress. It could easily be nobody. I had my ears pierced at 14 and wanted it for myself. It's much better that she's talking to you about it than sneaking off and just having it pierced on her own, like some people I know or getting in trouble with the other things you mentioned.
As for the dance comming up is she planning on wearing a dress? because it wouldn't show anyway, or is she planning on wearing one of those skirt and tank top looking things (its been a while since I went to a high school dance...)
If you're still worried about somthing, talk to her about it.
I would let her get her belly button pierced.

knitncook
12-27-2007, 09:28 AM
OK,, it's fairly harmless.. but I looked on web md and they said you can get hepatitus and even HIV ..She is now mad at me for being such a fuddy duddy..

Yes; she can tget hepatitis or HIV if she has her friend do it for her in a bathroom at school or in the mall. If you take her to a tattoo and piercing studio then the chances of that are greatly reduced as long as they are using clean needles that are opened in front of you from their sealed packages. I will NOT get a piercing from a mall kiosk or store that offers "free piercings with a purchase of earrings." Despite their "safety training" it is not sanitary!! My girls have both gotten their ears pierced at a tattoo studio. I must have looked like the worlds biggest weirdo mom taking my 8 yo into a tat place :)

The only concern about a navel piercing is that it can migrate with weight fluctuation. This generally isn't a big deal. I did have a friend who had to remove her piercing after she got pregnant as it was trying to migrate out of her navel as her belly expanded.

larudden
12-27-2007, 09:35 AM
My youngest pierced her navel with a safety pin in her bedroom! I think she was 14. It didn't last long. She did it again when she was a couple years older (I took her) and that stayed in for a few more years. She's now 22 and has a nose piercing and a lip (don't like that) piercing that comes in and out depending on her mood.
When I had mine done, all I remember was that the healing process hurt soooooooooo much! It seemed like, every time I moved my body, it pulled. I kept it for a few years and then took it out. I was over it.
Personally, I would let her get it done. You can take her yourself and go all "mother hen" on the person doing the piercing. There's all kinds of "stuff" to help the healing process too. And, if it gets infected, you either take it out or go to a walk-in and get an antibiotic (did that!).
It sounds like your daughter is on the "right track" so I would say she may be deserving of the perk, despite the fact that you may not agree with her choice. Frankly, it could be worse. My oldest pierced her nose like a bull when she was 17 w/out my knowing. When I saw the ring tucked up in her nose, I FREAKED OUT! Yup, she took it out 5 minutes later.
Things like piercings and crazy hair color are definately negotiable, in my opinion. Hair grows back and piercings can come out. A belly button piercing is very very common in girls of this age group, so I say "why not?" She may decide, after 6 months, that it hurts too much and take it out.
On another note, my oldest (26) is now in NC as we speak completing the tattoed "sleeve" on her left arm. After that, she'll go back to Chicago and finish up the other arm. Good Lord! Now THOSE are permanent! It's her "thing," though, so who am I to judge.
I'm done now.........................

knitncook
12-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Absolutely not!! If you're in the US, they have very strict restrictions on piercing and tattoing. I have a friend that went to jail for 6 months for working on a girl two days shy of her 18th birthday.

As long as there is signed parental consent this is not an issue! Some studios will request that the parents come in. Some will simply ask for a parental signature on a waiver. Some will require a notary signature.

treehugger14
12-27-2007, 07:58 PM
I know i might only be 15, but my older sis, who is turning 18 this weekend actually, got hers done when she was 15. She was exactly the same way your daughter is now. Made good grades, was very active in sports. In fact she still is. She is a very good kid for kids her age. I know that this might not be right, but she had her friends dad do the piercing. He is a piercing and tat artist though... She just put on the bacitracin on everyday, and I think it only got infected once. But, it wasn't bad, she didn't even have to go to the doc to get antibiotics. I think my sis likes it though, because it show's off her flat stomach when she goes swimming and stuff. Which is why i never got a belly button ring.... My mom said that the belly button was fine, because no one saw it on a daily basis, unlike the nose i want to get pierced. Oh, well.

jess_hawk
12-27-2007, 09:11 PM
My parents would have flipped if I had suggested it, but I have a different opinion.
I never liked piercings (ears not included) or tats before I got to college - hey, that was how I was raised. My roommate had her navel pierced and a tattoo on her belly, and she opened my eyes - she had gotten both because she has a large scar and felt less conscious with people distracted from it (as an actress, she often changes clothes in front of fellow actresses). Since then I've realized that even if a person doesn't have such a good reason to get piercings or tattoos, they really aren't as bad as my parents made them seem.
I say let your daughter get the piercing, as long as, as others have suggested, she is responsible and mature, and you get a good place to do it. Also - I'm going to assume that your daughter wears other jewelry and is aware of any metal allergies she has? I'm allergic to "probably nickel" (we had no idea what was in the watch) and only wear sterling silver or gold for that reason.

jcmom
12-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I would be inclined to say no (bet you're not surprised) but only because of what I've read about infections. I would also be inclined to wonder why she wants it pierced. I tend to be pretty conservative. I have no problem with piercings...my dd has two in each ear as well as one higher up on her ear, but I would question exactly "who" she's doing the naval piercing for.

I would tell my dd that she can pay for it when she's on her own...but not now.

Just my .02. :hug:
Guess I would agree with this. My question would be why?

starburst
12-28-2007, 01:39 AM
If you aren't against the idea of piercings, I would say that there are a few things to take into consideration:
1. Where it will be done. Make sure that the place you go to has good reviews. Maybe go in and check that they are using sterile, wrapped needles

2. Find someone who has been a customer and ask them what they think of it

3. Make sure your daughter knows how to take care of the piercings. A lot of people don't know that with body piercings you are supposed to soak the hole in hot saline water for ten minutes every single day, which can be particularly difficult on navel piercings

4. Who will pay? piercings are expensive and the sterile jewellery comes at no small price either.

I have my nose pierced and before I went in to have it done, my mom sent me an absolute ton of pictures of horror story piercings and a video of the process. In the end I decided that I was mature enough to research the shops (It took a while, but I found a surgically-sterile shop), pay for the process, and take care of it. I got it done as a birthday present to myself last year and I haven't had any problems.

PCwombat
12-28-2007, 02:37 AM
My thoughts are that if your daughter is a good, responsible girl, and is willing to pay/help pay and take care of the piercing, let her do it.

The decision, of course, is up to you. If you do say no, try to give your daughter a solid reason. Not just "I don't think you should" but also why you think that. A good, true reason should hopefully let her understand your thoughts better.

Lucy78green
12-28-2007, 07:43 AM
When he was ten my (male) cousin once came home from the mall with his ear pierced. My aunt was surprised how he'd managed to convince someone to do it considering he was so young but she decided it'd probably get infectected or he'd get bored of it in the end and take it out - dunno if he still has it now he's 21.

Nobones
12-28-2007, 08:10 AM
I would say as long as you check the place out first, and she promises to keep to the cleaning rules I would. But I'm not a Mum.

I have a navel bar myself, but I am one of those flat tummy people you were speaking of! Sorry, tried to fatten up didn't work! I had mine done when I was 18, my mum hadn't let me when I was 16 and she said I might change my mind, I didn't I have always liked mine and haven't regreted it. On the other hand my Dad HATES it, so I enjoy teasing him with it!

I want a 'tat' done but at the moment my hubby is dead set against it. Maybe I should do a bit of this.... :flirt:

GinnyG
12-28-2007, 09:19 AM
I believe in picking your battles and fighting over a pierced belly button is not worth it. If you give some freedom on the little things then youcan stand firm on the big ones.

A pierced belly button can be removed at anytime and grow in without scarring.

When my daughter wanted hers done I lloked around and was not happy with the places that were doing it so I did it myself (I am a nurse). Your family Dr might be willing to do it to insure sanitary conditions.

Jan in CA
12-28-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with picking your battles. What seems bizarre to many of us older folks is now very common among kids. You could make a deal such as allowing her to get her naval pierced, but nothing more till she's an adult and over 18 and it can only be done by a reputable place, or have her wait 6 mos and if she still wants it then the above applies...or some such thing. As for infections... sure they are possible, but considering the number of piercings I think the incidence is pretty low if you take care it as you are supposed to.

My DD2 has her naval pierced and it's actually kind of cute. Maybe I'm just used to it living in an area where minimal clothing is worn a lot of the year. The one that freaked me out was the tongue piercing...:ick: She was over 18, but had it removed when she started working in preschool and felt it wasn't professional. :yay:

As long as there is signed parental consent this is not an issue! Some studios will request that the parents come in. Some will simply ask for a parental signature on a waiver. Some will require a notary signature.

Exactly.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
i wouldn't.

if it's still important to her in 2 years (when she turns 18) then she can get it done herself.

this is another thing that dh and i agreed would be on the list of "no daughter of ours" :)

saracidaltendencies
12-28-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, I'd be a total hypocrite if I said no, considering I have 9 piercings and 9 tattoos. 2 of the piercings I got when I was 17...my parents signed for them, and were in the room when I got pierced.

I also agree with the picking choosing battles. I mean for god's sake, it's a belly button piercing.

If one of my children asked for a tattoo at a young age, that would be different. I would want to make sure they were positive they wanted to have their bodies permanently inked. However, a piercing can be taken out at any time and usually heals without any scarring.

Out of all my piercings, only one ever got infected and that was my lip piercing, which I ended up having to remove altogether when I found out I was pregnant with my son...I couldn't keep taking antibiotics all the time. However, the infection cleared and I've had no problems since taking my lip ring out.

I don't know, maybe it's just my outlook but I don't see a piercing as a big deal and especially nothing to get upset over. There are so many BAD things children can do such as drugs, crimes, violence, etc. that a piercing absolutely pales in comparison. In addition, when you have a child who asks their parent/s first instead of doing on their own without parental knowledge or consent, I think that speak volumes of the child.

I also seriously doubt she's trying to send any message to anyone with a belly button piercing. I could care less what people think of me and what I do. I didn't get pierced for anyone but myself. Hubby, after all these years, still isn't crazy about my septum piercing, but oh well, take it or leave it. I'm not taking it out just because he doesn't like it! He met me with it and fell in love with me with it and if he doesn't like it, too bad.

Personally, I'd say go for it. For some people piercings are a passing phase others, they are permanent.

I never have understood why people think nothing of allowing a child to get their ears pierced, but any other piercing is seen as taboo. No piercing is permanent and as long as you go to a sanitary, reputable piercer, the chance of contracting a serious illness is just about none.

KnittingNat
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
I had my belly button pierced when I was 22, except for that I don't have any other things (not including ears). Oh, I had a second earring in one of the ears and I removed it in the army. Anyway, I agree with said above about a reputable place and needles etc. I don't think it's such a big deal. Your daughter sounds like a good girl and I don't think it's the issue to start a battle about. My piercing was done as a bet with my younger sister. She was 17 and bet I didn't have the guts to do something this wild (he he), because I've always been such a good girl. So we went together and did it. My mom freaked out when she saw the band-aids, but got used to it. We took care of it and it healed ok and only few people saw it on me. It's not for someone, it's only for me. I'm going to be 27 and still not bored with it. I guess I'll have to take it out whenever we'll decide to go for adding another lunatic to our family :teehee:.

Pat in Ca
12-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Well, she hasn't talked about it for 3 days now.. I am hoping she will forget about it.Last year, I originally said "maybe in the future", then "no" after I saw that you can get diseases...Now I am reconsidering because it is not a permanent thing.... but it is funny how I let her pierce her ears and thought nothing of doing it at the mall..I am going to gather info about "bad piercings" and try to look for the video of the actual process (to scare her).... it is so wierd, cause she is needle-phobic when it comes to getting a shot at the Dr..
She is so close to being on her own (less than 2 years), and she is making "life decisions" now really.. I just don't want her to do something impulsively without looking into it... I may show her this post when she brings it up again..I'll have to read it over again to make sure there is nothing "incriminating"..I put up this post because I thought I would hear if anyone had a really bad experience.. thanks for all the info..

auburnchick
12-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I think it would be wonderful for both of you to research the topic together, if she brings it up again. It will show her that you respect her enough to listen to her, and if she's as mature as she seems, she'll reciprocate by listening to your advice.

:hug:

KnitClickChick
12-29-2007, 07:39 AM
I don't think 16 is too young for that, and she seems like a very mature responsible person. Like others have said, just make sure to go to a reputable/clean place to have it done. A few years ago, my MOTHER got hers done. I gave her a small lecture :teehee: Anyway, she never had any problems with it and I have to say, it does look kind of cute in the summer when she wears a shirt that just shows her navel. Not something I would do though, I only ever had my ears done twice when I was younger, but I haven't worn ear rings since high school, I don't even think the holes are still open. Besides, I'm too flabby to go around showing off my navel. :rofl:

willowangel
12-30-2007, 08:15 AM
From my point of view - as long as she's a responsible girl and chooses a good place to get it done, then it would be better for her to get it done while you're around to make sure she cleans it every day than later on when she's away from home and might forget. I knew a few people at uni who had it done because they hadn't been allowed to at home, but they got infected because they'd also never really looked after themselves before.

I don't have mine done, but that's because I don't think I've ever had a flat stomach ;-)

Good luck, hope you can find a balance,
Fi xxx

knitncook
12-30-2007, 08:28 AM
it is so wierd, cause she is needle-phobic when it comes to getting a shot at the Dr..

Not weird at all. I have horrible needle-phobia from a very very bad childhood experience. I have several piercings and love tattooes although I don't have one yet myself. I've been to a tat studio several times with friends who were pierced and/or inked and had no trouble watching. I get squeamish just watching a tv show where someone is using a medical needle, though! Getting light headed just thinking about it! :teehee:

susi
12-30-2007, 09:53 AM
hi

yes you can get all sorts of nasties from piercings, as long as what others have said you find somewhere that uses new needles and is clean and your daughter feels comefortable there as i am imagine it would flipping hurt like crazy having it done (she says wanting it done at 26 lol). i like piercings even though i only have my ears done at the moment. and it is at the moment.

my mum wouldn't allow me to get my ears pirced when i was 15/16 i never really forgave her (it wasn't the ears it was the fact of her haveing total un natural control over me).
i would be inclined to say yes as she can hide it when needed. check school policy's as some schools have stricked rules on piercings other than ears though in the uk.

if she does she will need some pain killers lol

susi

starburst
12-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh, there is one thing that she might want to consider--navel piercings get stretched waaaaay out during pregnancy and can become a little unsightly. So if that is something that she may be considering for her future, she should know.

My sister had her navel peirced when she was 21 and when she had her first child at (eep, I should know this!) 24, I know her piercing stretched way out and displaced itself a bit. It was just getting back to normal when she got pregnant again, so who knows how it looks now

knitgal
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Personally I think they're a little (I hate to say this and no offence to anyone who has one- it's my opinion) slutty looking. I don't think you're being a fuddy duddy because I'm 22 and I would NEVER get one. A lot of teenagers want a piercing, but they don't realise what it will be like when they're a bit older. A friend of mine had it done when she was 18 and it was fine, until it started migrating. It moved UP her belly and now she has an ugly inch long line from her belly button up. So, although it may be removable, it will still be visible when she decides she doesn't like it.
That said, she sounds like a good girl, and it's clearly your decision. I would find out why she wants it. Does someone else have one? Does she think it's "hot"? What are here reasonings for this?

tarrentella
01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
one thing i always remember with piercings is that they are not permanant. you could argue, 'well she might like it know but what about when she's older' well if whe shes older she doesnt like t she can take it out.

at one point i had 12 different piercing(including ear lobes) now i have 9. one day i may have less.

a navel piercing is fairly discrete (she doesnt sound like the sort of girl who wears super revieling clothes) is a small bit of rebellion and can look pretty, cute or sexy ... but that depends on the girl and her attitude, not the jewelry! Personally i dont think a navel piecing would suit me so i don't have one.

navel piercings do have a reputation of being slow to heal or getting a bit infected, but we are talking minor infections here. You are only at risk of major infections like hepatitis if you go to a bad piercer, who is not clean and re-uses the tools and needles. they are hard to find these days (thank goodness) and it only takes a little research to find a suitable piercer. as with all piercings including ears,it is essential to clean regularly and follow the care instructions given by the piercer. i made the mistake once of not taking the advice and ended up wih a gooey ear. my fault not theirs.

i would talk to her about your concerns, listen to her opinions on the subject, tell her that if she is getting it done, she will be responsible for it and will pay for it, and then see if she still wants it. if yes then at least you know it is a responsable and reasoned decision. but of course you still get parental veto!

Jen17
01-08-2008, 12:10 AM
I vote no. My dd had it done several years ago after her first child. She certainly was of legal age. She had baby number 2 and had to remove the jewelry when she got big. It then moved out of place after the baby and she put it back in and it got infected (and she is an RN nurse). That was the end of the belly button ring!

16 year olds want the going fad. I remember well. But, I also remember that it is very hard to talk one out of something she/he wants. See if you can dig up some awful gross photos online of piercings gone wrong, THAT might work,lol!

kemp
01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't know about the age thing...everything is so different now.
Anyway I had one done about 8 years (I was in my late 20s) ago and the healing process is long and it really does require daily care for it to do so properly. Even then I had an issue called "migrating" where the piercing wanted to keep getting closer and closer to the surface. I wasn't sorry I did it, but I just tired of it after a while (but you know how that is...best to let them come to their own realization). If it doesn't bother you and you think she will be responsible for the after care, I don't see any reason not to. I certainly wouldn't be worried about HIV or hepatitis...that would never happen in a reputable establishment (as knitting guy said). It CAN become infected after the fact though (not very prevalent), even with proper after care. Just one of the risks of piercing in general.

I think tarrentella has a good point about it being a safe minor rebellion. Doesn't necessarily mean shes trying to be sexy or attract a certain sort of attention.

Jen17
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I had written yesterday and half kidding around suggested you could possibly find a site online that might have pictures of body piercing gone wrong....well...I guess I'm bored, because I googled

"body piercings gone wrong pictures"

and up came a couple of sites that actually have pictures...have her look at these!
But I know teenagers..:) they think that it would never happen to them, they will take care of it, they will follow the instructions after the piercing, etc. Sorta like when they beg for a dog and say they will walk it and take care of it! LOL

Good Luck and let us know the outcome