PDA

View Full Version : Alternate skeins?

redheadrachel
12-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Hey everyone! I've always wondered but have been afraid to ask because I thought it was stupid (I know... when people ask a question that I know the answer to I'm like You shouldn't be afraid to ask! It's not a stupid question... but whaddaya gonna do? lol)

How do you work with two skeins at once? A lot of hand-dyed yarns and stuff say you should work with two skeins at once, alternating rows or something, to minimize pooling or making it look really obvious when you switched to a new skein.
But how do you do that? I mean, do you have to cut the yarn and rejoin every single time? That's can't be right, because NO ONE WOULD EVER, EVER DO THAT. lol Ever. But, do you carry the other one up the side when you're not using it? Or what?

I have tried to figure it out but I just have no clue. lol Thanks!

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Hi'ya little redhead! :waving:

I had to do that for ALL MALABRIGO yarn! It is never consistent! Even if it LOOKS consistent in the hanks, IT ISN'T!

Anyhoo, to answer your question: yes, you are right. You just knit rows 1 & 2 with SKEIN A...drop skein A and pick up SKEIN B and knit rows 3 & 4.

So, every right side row, you will be transferring to the other skein.
I try to kinda wrap them around one another once, too, just to keep them snug along the sideline. When you seam the garment, you will hide the "carries".

If it is for a scarf, that is a different matter. The edges can't look messy.

Here is a little bit about what I said when I had to alternate skeins for my Malabrigo Irish Hiking Scarf (and you can read the full NOTES in my Ravelry Projects):

"Rows 1,2,5,6: use Skein A & Rows 3,4,7,8: use Skein B
A Helpful Hint: when carrying a yarn up...most times you carry it along the edge...it is messy looking...but on most items, the edge will be hidden within the seam. Not so with a scarf. Here is the tip: Tie in your new skein on the 3rd or 4th stitch from the edge. It will be invisible."

Hope this helps, little redhead! Don't be shy about asking for additional help! Knitting Help is our name! :thumbsup:

redheadrachel
12-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I'm going to be working on a lace shawl. So I definitely need it to be invisible. Thanks for your help :muah:

ArtLady1981
12-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I'm going to be working on a lace shawl. So I definitely need it to be invisible. Thanks for your help :muah:

OK! So if it were my shawl, I would definitely try to alternate the skeins a few stitches from the end of the right side rows...to maintain a clean edge.

It is tricky, but it is do-able. It is a matter of using that same technique that you use when alternating colors in Intarsia knitting.

I will check later to see if Amy has a video clip about Intarsia knitting. It is a technique that prevents a hole...and with our shawl project, it helps carry UP the other non-working yarn invisibly. It kinda "tags in" the non-working yarn, so that she climbs the ladder up and is ready to be used as the working yarn next! It is as if the two yarns are 'holding hands' from row to row, if you get my drift. The working yarn gives a 'leg up' to the non-working yarn, so that the non-working yarn isn't just dangling there while the working yarn is doing her two rows.