PDA

View Full Version : Any Aussies?

jacquiw
12-28-2007, 06:44 AM
Any Aussies out there? I am in Qld and am a crocheter ,spinner, loom knitter. I am wanting to do a little hand knitting in the continental style so this site has some great videos to help me learn.:thumbsup:

winterblues
01-07-2008, 12:24 AM
Well hello there! :waving:
I'm from Perth in WA and have been knitting for over 20 years. I love knitting sweaters and summer tops and I tend to design most of my own stuff. :flirt:

tasknitter
02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm about as far away from both of you as I think it's possible to be, in Tassie, I've often wondered how many other Aus knitters had found this site, I find it so helpful!

Hscmum40
02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, it's nice to see other Aussies on this site. I'm in Queensland as well and am just getting into all this knitting stuff! Have nearly completed a jumper for my daughter and have just started a plain vest for my DH to wear to work. I enjoy using this site and am finding it really useful.

miss_molly
02-22-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm in NSW. Perhaps we can get all the states covered!

helenmarie
03-02-2008, 06:02 AM
hello, i'm helen in bendigo vic. slowly finding my way around the site

Gunnadoo
03-07-2008, 01:20 AM
Hi. Gold Coast here. New to this site, just wandering around at present getting my bearings.

Firey Vixxen
03-08-2008, 03:21 AM
I'm from Melbourne, Victoria

mrsgrumblebum
03-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi :waving: I'm from Melbourne also.

Dorcas_au
03-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi all,

Although originally from the U.S., I have been living in QLD for nearly 10 years now.

I'm looking for a cardigan jumper/sweater pattern, with at least two types of cables and short sleeves to knit for my DH. The patterns I have at home are either long sleeved cardigans or they only have one type of cable stitch. My husband can get quite specific in what he wants in his jumpers/sweaters. :knitting:

I look forward to talking with more of you. I don't get here often, but do check in from time to time...especially when I get the reminders that I haven't been seen in a while. I do like that reminder.

Is there a set chat time for people? So far there has been no one in chat when I have been online. I didn't know if it was me, or if that resource is under-utilized.

I hope to talk to many of you soon.

wannabe
03-19-2008, 03:40 AM
Oh dear--maybe I shouldn't be here--but, I just could not resist. We made our first trip to Australia in 1993, and have been back twice. Last time in 2004. We love the people and the place. I am wearing my wool sweater as I type. It was made for/purchased from one of those "tourist" destinations around the gold mining area outside of Melbourne. It is an old wool shed with demonstrations, and foods. I loved our experience there. My husband is from a small cattle ranch in the west. He thinks he hates sheep. The guy giving the sheep shearing demonstration called my hubby up from the audience as a 'volunteer" (wonder who arranged that ;-) ). We had great laughs. Last trip included 3 days on Kangaroo Island and several days outside of the wine growing region south of Adelaide. We loved meeting the farmers at Apsley, Benayeo and Langkoop. Ok, I am off to bed g'day!

Lynaire
03-26-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm from Canberra :-P

mrshr3d
05-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Logan Reserve QLD, male here :-)

Kazbone
06-01-2008, 04:09 AM
Hi Everyone I am from Sydney NSW love this site.
Karen

KnitNess
06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
:cheering:

And great to see all the Australian knitters.

If you haven't already, check out the Lincraft website. I just picked up their "How To" magazine recently which had some good knitting patterns (slippers, scarves etc) for free in it and it had links to their website which had a stack more.

wannabe
06-17-2008, 02:35 AM
Hello again:

Do you folks have links to a producer of fine Australian Merino Yarn? Is there an Aussie yarn/wool company that you particularly like?

Second question: What is a DH?

KnitNess
06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I have mostly been knitting acrylic lately ... but I have in the past used Bendigo Woollen Mills, who have a wide variety of wools available ...

http://www.bendigowoollenmills.com.au/

and DH could be Dear Husband ..? or the head of a piece of male anatomy

I looked up a few more suppliers .. (haven't used ...)

http://www.organicwool.com.au/index.html
WOOLganic yarns are made from 21.5 micron merino fleece wool

http://www.theknittery.com.au/c/24749/1/handpainted-yarns.html

http://www.urallawoolroom.com.au/woolroom/gallery/index.asp

http://www.oneplanetyarnandfiber.com/Wooldancer_Yarns_Australia_s/78.htm

wannabe
06-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Dear Knitness:

Thank you so much for your response--it is wonderful! The sweater I bought in 1995 and still wear every evening is from Ballarat. The name of the company is Wilabaa--you cannot imagine how much comfort and pleasure this lovely cardigan has given me over the years. I would love to find this wool to knit a cardigan for my husband. I only like to work with Merino--ok, ok, I know it is a little pricey--but, I love the feel.

Take care and thank you again.

wannabe
06-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Dear Knitness:

Thank you for the definition of DH !!!:wink:

I do have a dear husband. We have been married 26 years and I still love to see the guy walk into the room! That does not mean that there have not been moments in which I would not have run him down with my vehicle if he had been so unfortunate as to cross in front of me. But--he never broke my heart! We are in our mid 60's now and I want very much for him to have a cardigan as lovely as the one he bought for me in Ballarat. The label says Waillabaa--any information about that wonderful yarn will be much appreciated.

Best,
Wannabe

bombayblue001
10-24-2008, 09:50 PM
:knitting:
I'm in Melbourne ... just found this site .... so wandering around at the moment, seeing what it's all about.
HelenMarie in Bendigo - we must be twins ..... my first + second name too!
I'm a returning knitter - haven't made anything for ages and ages .... but with a new great-nephew in Detroit - and a bitter winter coming on for them - I thought I'd give the pins a whirl!
Hope to talk to you some more!

bombayblue001 ... a.k.a Helen

neen1meatloaf
11-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Hi I am from south Aust I love knitting Would love to learn to spin It is great to find other Aussies here Hope to chat soon How do i get smilies

Artylady
12-02-2008, 04:26 AM
Hi, I'm from Melbourne too:cheering:
Liz

knittedclown
12-04-2008, 02:52 AM
G'day I'm in Bendigo victoria too......

got a couple of projects on the go.....

I've been told I should sell my stuff ......... how do you go about that...... ? what if people buy online such as ebay and hate it?

i guess I shouldn't asked that on this thread but I must run off and cook dinner

Cheers

knittedclown

Patty

Kerrie227
05-19-2009, 08:58 PM
I am from Penrith Sydney, I have just found this site. I hope someone reads this - I notice it is a while since there was a comment on this thread.

I have just started knitting again after a long hiatus. I did a lot when I was 16 and early 20's when my nephews were born & when I used to wear jumpers & cardigans. I stopped when I found that all my knitted stuff just sat there taking up space in the wardrobe. In the meantime I have dabbled at long stitich and cross stitch with many UFO's on the go.

Currently with some time on my hands ( retrenched Dec 2008) I have taken it up again. I have knitted one afghan rug, 3 cushion covers ( still needing to be sewn up & filled) & well on my way to completing another afghan which I am very excited about.

I have provided the link to the afghan that I am currently doing.
I am doing all the colours of the rainbow

www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/afghans/st_st.htm

regards
Kerrie

Napoleon
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
I am in Brisbane and have difficulty getting wool here so I buy from bendigo where they have a good range and great service. I have also tried some of the online stores but they work out very expensive for me.
I have just finished a pile of baby knitting and now am going to try to reduce my stash.

trishknitz
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm from Sydney. Not much call for winter wooliies here, but my family in NZ are feeding my habit by having babies!!

theguywhoknits
06-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi..Perth W.A. here...a fascinating website indeed...always looking for new ideas and hints/tips

Ikip
09-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,
I'm Shellie from Penrith. I am an obsessed knitter :X: who spends waaaay to much time on Ravelry. Have been knitting for three years and am learning continental style, lace techniques and spinning.

My DH is an enabler who lets me go pat the pretty yarns even though he knows that always means yarn will follow me home.

I've been looking at the help videos from this site for a while now but didn't realise that there was a forum here.

kjac014
09-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Im from Northern beaches in Sydney. I have sort of knitted on and off for years - but not very well. I have just learnt to spin my Alpaca fleece so now have a new excitement for kntting. :knitting:

BasketCase29
10-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi all,
Just discovered this site in my quest for European style knitting-- a roundabout wandering journey.
I'm in Creswick, near Ballarat.
Like most knitters and sewers I have large stashes of yarns and fabrics, added to substantially at the Morris & Sons sale a couple of weekends ago!
Happy needling.

nitn2day
06-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Hi Aussie Knitters :muah:
i'm in qld, south burnett to be exact. found this site by looking for something else :teehee: i'd love to get together with fellow knitters in my area. I'm nearly 50 :rofl: (something I can't believe) and I have been knitting since I was 6 years old. Had a long break from the needles:knitting: but now have really got back into it - love to chat, drink coffee and knit!!