PDA

View Full Version : Look what I bought yesterday!!!!!

aprildavis99
12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.lornaslaces.net/images/color/64_Somerset_SMALL.jpgIt's lace weight yarn by Lorna's Laces. It called Helen's Lace in a color called Somerset. It's the first time I bought anything so extravagent. 50% silk and 50% wool. cloud9 I am still using Lionbrand Woolease mostly, so this was "crazy" for me. :aww: I had never been to a "real" yarn shop before. I just went to Michael's or ordered on line. :roll: But I wanted to take a lace knitting class so I looked on line for a shop in Albuquerque. I found a small yarn shop that just opened recently. :woot: I was stunned and drooling within 3 seconds of walking in. I was there for at least 3 hours talking to the owner and workers about classes and then walking around touching everything. :heart: Then this skein called out to me. I almost peed my pants when I saw that it ws $55!!!:shock: I just had to have it...for my lace class of course. :mrgreen: I probably won't be spending that much on yarn in the future, but what the heck!! I needed a Christmas/birthday present for myself, right?:woohoo:

But don't tell my hubby. He doesn't know he bought it for me yet. I think I will let the Visa statement speak for itself.:oo:

Spikey
12-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Gorgeous!!!! Totally worth it. You'll make something spectacular out of it, to be sure.
Congrats on finding a new LYS. That's always a good thing

mhansen
12-28-2007, 12:08 PM
[IMG]But don't tell my hubby. He doesn't know he bought it for me yet. I think I will let the Visa statement speak for itself.:oo:

A womans gotta do what a womans gotta do!! lol

It's beautiful yarn. I have never used yarn that expensive either. So far the most I've paid is $6.99 a skein. But I am looking at yarn that is between $10 and $16 a skein. Just looking so far.

Shandeh
12-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter. cloud9

Don't worry about your hubby. If he gives you a hard time, just ask him how much he spent recently on HIS favorite thing. (golf, hunting, fishing, team sports, video game, etc.)

knitncook
12-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Lovely yarn! And you will love knitting with it! Beautiful and textural-rich yarns make knitting all the worth it!

cinnamon_girl
12-28-2007, 01:04 PM
It's absolutely beautiful!! :inlove: And a lace weight project will not whip up quickly so if you think of the hours of knitting pleasure you'll get from that $55 it is so worth it! Anyhow, that is how I rationalize my sock yarn.
Keep us posted on the class and your progress!!

mdog182
12-28-2007, 01:37 PM
everyone needs to splurge on themselves after the holidays....congratulations!:yay:

knitasha
12-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Beautiful.

Unless it means feeding your kids scraps or raiding their college funds, why not spend money on something that will give you hours of pleasure while you're knitting and years of pride when you're finished?

And if buying beautiful yarn right now simply isn't possible, why not spending an hour exploring the beautiful treasures in a good yarn shop. Think of it as feeding your soul.

agnes
12-28-2007, 01:53 PM
That's gorgeous! You'll have to post pics of the finished project.

I've knit for yrs, but just this yr found 'real' yarn shops locally--the selections can boggle the mind--a true sensory experience!

jberry16
12-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm in RR NM too-what lys did you go to? There's village wools off Paseo & then Lavendar Lamb in Corrales....where'd you go???? I want some of that purty yarn-or at least pet it. tia

threesmom
12-28-2007, 06:40 PM
And a lace weight project will not whip up quickly so if you think of the hours of knitting pleasure you'll get from that $55 it is so worth it! Anyhow, that is how I rationalize my sock yarn.

EXACTLY!!!! And how happy does it make you to pet something so pretty? It [I]is[I] beautiful :inlove: - Enjoy it!

aprildavis99
12-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Jberry -- It was Village Wools. I thought it was a new store, but I was bragging to a lady I met in the library and she said it has been their for a while. I used to live in that area and don't remember seeing it. Of course, that was 8 years ago.:aww: Anyway, it was great. They have lots of stuff and they are so nice. They even showed me how to use their swift and ball winder. :star:
I didn't even know about the one in Corrales. I will have to check that one out too!
I broke down and told my hubby about the yarn....I can't keep a secret for the life of me. He wasn't upset, but he wasn't impressed with the yarn either. I kept saying, but it's silk and hand dyed....he still didn't get it. Oh well. He'ill be happy as a clam when he gets his Bowflex for his birthday. Now that is something I don't get.

starburst
12-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Congrats! There is nothing better than new yarn. I think that I want to sign up for a lace class someday, but I'm also saving up for improv classes, so we'll see which I get into when push comes to shove

Lady Violet
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Beautiful yarn speaks to the soul of a knitter. cloud9

i LOVE that. in fact, i'm going to put it in my sig. :)

april, don't worry about spending that much on one hank of yarn. if you hadn't bought it, you'd probably end up spending at least that much on therapy to help you get over your regret anyway. :teehee: trust me. if you fall in love with it right away, you'd better buy it right then because if you don't, either you'll regret for a very long time or it won't be there when you go back to get it. at least you won't be kicking yourself! it truly is a gorgeous colorway. :inlove:

OT: sandy, when did you get promoted to mod, and what rock have i been living under?!?!? CONGRATS!!! :woot:
it's been a long time coming. :wink:

Shandeh
12-29-2007, 07:50 AM
i LOVE that. in fact, i'm going to put it in my sig. :)

OT: sandy, when did you get promoted to mod, and what rock have i been living under?!?!? CONGRATS!!! :woot:
it's been a long time coming. :wink:
Thanks for quoting my quote! :hug:

And thanks for the congratulations also! :) I'm proud to be a moderator. Amy designated all of the new mods on December 1st. :thumbsup:

Sissy
12-29-2007, 08:09 AM
:woot: Your yarn is wonderful.ENJOY IT! We deserve to splurge on us sometimes.............

WandaT
12-29-2007, 09:25 AM
April, it's gorgeous! I can see why you couldn't resist it. I'm in the same boat ... desperately wanting to do some lace. I'm sure when I finally decide to go to one of my yarn shops to drool over some beautiful lace yarn, I'll spend that much too. I can't wait to see how it works up!! Congrats!

GiddyKnitter
12-29-2007, 10:32 AM
April that yarn is beautiful...I feel a yarn and if it feels soft and sensual then I have to have it...I dont care about the price!!! After all knitting is my only vice!

aprildavis99
12-29-2007, 10:51 AM
And it does feel soooooo soft. cloud9 Ok, guilt gone. I am just going to enjoy my investment and hold my needles up high and be proud to be a KNITTER...and a yarnaholic!:woot:
I gotta say that that store will be my new home if I like the classes as well as the yarn. They haven't set up their schedule for 2008 yet so I'm still waiting for the lace class...please be soon, please be soon.:pray:
In the meantime, I'm going to have to check out that other shop Jberry mentioned...Lavender Lamb...it sounds so peaceful.:teehee:

annomalley
12-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Lorna's Laces is my absolute favorite splurge yarn. :) Have fun knitting with it. It's an absolute joy to knit with.

Dark Hippy
12-29-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.lornaslaces.net/images/color/64_Somerset_SMALL.jpgIt's lace weight yarn by Lorna's Laces. It called Helen's Lace in a color called Somerset. It's the first time I bought anything so extravagent. 50% silk and 50% wool. cloud9 I am still using Lionbrand Woolease mostly, so this was "crazy" for me. :aww: I had never been to a "real" yarn shop before. I just went to Michael's or ordered on line. :roll: But I wanted to take a lace knitting class so I looked on line for a shop in Albuquerque. I found a small yarn shop that just opened recently. :woot: I was stunned and drooling within 3 seconds of walking in. I was there for at least 3 hours talking to the owner and workers about classes and then walking around touching everything. :heart: Then this skein called out to me. I almost peed my pants when I saw that it ws $55!!!:shock: I just had to have it...for my lace class of course. :mrgreen: I probably won't be spending that much on yarn in the future, but what the heck!! I needed a Christmas/birthday present for myself, right?:woohoo:

But don't tell my hubby. He doesn't know he bought it for me yet. I think I will let the Visa statement speak for itself.:oo:

Sometimes you just see the most beautiful yarn and you can't resist. I have a yarn like that too- laceweight silk in a color called marble. White with handpainted pinks and purples in it- but I have know idea what I'm going to do with the 26 $ a hank yarn. And you say it's just a splurge and you won't do it again, but you wait, oh, you wait...:teehee: You'll be eyeing the silk llama next, which is eight dollars a hank, but oh so beautiful and silky soft. Then the boomerang yarn (I got a hank for christmas in fiesta!) which is something like thirty three dollars a hank.. You'll be addicted to high end yarn! I've worked with the Lorna's laces stuff before, and it's just a dream to knit with. You have great taste and I can't wait to see what you knit with it! Don't forget to post finished project pics!:cheering:

knitrageous
12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
I think Village Wools moved to another location. I've been there but it was a while back and they were talking about their new store. I used to live in Albuquerque, my sis still does and my parents moved to Bosque Farms. You'd think there'd be more LYS in a town the size of Albuquerque, wouldn't you? And maybe there are. That's just the only one I've been to.

jberry16
12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I think Village Wools moved to another location. I've been there but it was a while back and they were talking about their new store. I used to live in Albuquerque, my sis still does and my parents moved to Bosque Farms. You'd think there'd be more LYS in a town the size of Albuquerque, wouldn't you? And maybe there are. That's just the only one I've been to.
Yes it used to be on San Mateo.

April did you find Lavendar Lamb? It's part of the Quilts Ole shop.
And you know village wools has a web site right? keep checking it because they will post sales sometimes that are not in their emailing list emails...sneaky. I'm curious to know what you think of Lavendar Lamb-I like it, very small but very very friendly. And they have a great after hours knitting group-free on either tues or thurs night...ask 'em. I haven't gone since I've got a 6 week old that's attached to the breast for a while...

Northknitter
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Gorgeous color and yarn...what will you be knitting with this lovely purchase.

aprildavis99
01-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I did find Lavender Lamb. It was great. The lady there was so nice. She was a big help and was very nice to my boys. I found some great sock yarns that I want to get some day. :teehee: She took my email address so I can be sent information about sales and classes and new yarns. I liked it and also liked that it was soooo much closer to where I live. I didn't ask about the knitting group but know I know for next time I go...because you know I will go again.:teehee:
So far, I haven't found a lace class. Village Wools hasn't posted their new class list yet online. So I'm planning to make the Garden Path Shawl on elann.com. I think I can figure it out. I just thought it would be nice to do it for the first time in a class setting. I'm still keeping my eyes open for any other interesting classes, though.
Jberry, where in Rio Rancho do you live? I live near Northern and Rainbow.

jberry16
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
accross from the Target, just east of it. 528 & Leon Grande
I like how the ladies in Lavendar Lamb are nice to my kids too-mine are young and want to explore everything. They have a drawer of little toys for kids to play with while Mom/Grandma look around the store-& my kids know which drawer it is, and they've only been there 3 times.

Debkcs
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
I used to live in RR, spent a lot of time in Village Wools. Feels like 'old home week' on this thread.

Yarn that pleases is not an extravagance, just think of all you'll get done when your husband is putting together his Bowflex. (I've heard that a lot of them become over priced coat racks :teehee: Hope your DH uses his.)

becjo
01-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I cant wait to see the finished project! Hey - we understand that connection with yarn - when it calls your name - there's no turning from it - you just have to get it. I hope your husband understood that (hehe!)

aprildavis99
01-02-2008, 04:51 PM
He seems ok with it now that I have started a pair of socks for him. :roll: He has been wanting a pair since I finished my first pair a few months ago. So now he went with me to Lavender Lamb and picked out a nice ball and I tried not to giggle when he looked at the price, then put it back then picked it right back up again.:teehee: I may convert him yet....if not to actually knitting, then at least to the great yarnaholics world that I love so much.:pray:

Wow, Jberry, your way close to Lavender Lamb...:p It's so strange and cool "meeting" so many people from Rio Rancho on line. I never thought anyone would even know where it is. I guess with Intel being here, it brings people from all over.
I'm really not enjoying the wind. I just broke the glass on my screen door when it flew out of my hands.:!!!: Seems like it's windy season all year round.

jberry16
01-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I know, haven't clocked it yet but I'm guessing it's around 4 miles away, I go the back way through Corrales, that way I don't have to go down 'the hill'. I only found it last summer and hate to say I've only been 3 times :-(...need to go again. how old are your kids? I'm finally knitting dh a pair of socks too! However I started them just before Caitlin was born, and well with a nb there's not much knitting time. I can nurse and type, but not knit-hurts my wrist. I want to knit myself a pair of socks that fit-the two pair I've knit have been either too small (Mom's socks) or too big (Grandma's socks). O well...soon I hope.

aprildavis99
01-02-2008, 11:31 PM
My daughter is about to turn 16, one son is 8 and the other is 6. The older boy wants to learn to knit. He can do the knit stitch ok. He understands how to do it. Now he just needs to work on making his stitches even. He doesn't pick up his scarf all that often. Once in a while he will pull it out and ask me to help him. cloud9 My younger son wants to learn, but I haven't sat down with him yet. My daughter has no interest whatsoever to learn. She knows basic crochet, but has refused to do it since she was about 14.:nails:

Shandeh
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
She'll probably come back to it later. Right now, her priority is probably her friends.......and BOYS. :teehee:

aprildavis99
01-03-2008, 01:58 AM
Ugh!!!:pout: :!!!: :roll: :wall: :ick:

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I feel the same way about one of my sons. He can't perceive the real world, because he's lost in the world of girls and the internet. :roll:

Spinto
01-03-2008, 02:17 PM
That's a beautiful yarn, and with those 1250 yards on the skein, you can probably make a shawl and a little capelet, too! Whatever you make will be lovely, I'm sure. And don't worry if your lace looks a little wacked-out and crumpled while you're knitting it; everyone's first lace project does. Just block the h*** out of it, and all will be okay. :P

aprildavis99
01-03-2008, 07:11 PM
:teehee: :teehee: Thanks Spinto!:mrgreen:

jberry16
01-04-2008, 11:54 AM
April have you looked at any patterns for it yet?
Dont worry about your dd, I learned to crochet when I was 6 and did it until I was about 16 and then priorities change and when I was pg with my ds at age 20 I picked it up again, and remembered why I didn't like it-b/c I can never seem to keep my rows even on thngs like blankets-they become parallegrams. sigh. Anyway then I taught myself to knit & still have my first scarf-what I learned on, and I still use it-I made it out of jiffy thick n quick on size 17 needles all k st. and was surprised it looked like a scarf! Anyway, just give her time, she'll come back around.

aprildavis99
01-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Jberry, I was hoping to make the Garden Path Shawl http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=126024

I haven't started yet. I'm still working on finishing up a few other things first so I can devote my time on the shawl. :heart:

jberry16
01-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I understand the ufos. That will be very pretty-cant wait to see the pics as you go & whan its done

Sknitter56
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
The yarn is gorgeous! Did you wind it into a ball yet? Since it's in a hank and I noticed you'd never bought the expensive stuff before, just make sure you use a swift or the back of a chair or someone holding it to wind it into a ball. I'd hate for you to mess up $55 worth of yarn. I've seen where others on here have mistakenly tried to wind their hank into a ball and ended up with a huge twisted tangle.

aprildavis99
01-06-2008, 11:24 PM
The wonderful ladies at the lys let me use their swift and winder free of charge. It was so much fun watching it turn into this little round center-pull "cake".
I cast on for that shawl. I actually got to row 11. But my days off consisted of UFOs and reading. I am trying to read 100 books in 2008. So it will be a while before the shawl is actually done. But it's fun to pull it out once in a while and do a row then put it away oh so carefully.

jberry16
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM
100 books in 2008! wow! I dont think I've ever read that many books in my life-good for you. What kind of books do you like? I'd love to read more, but just haven't found anything interesting.

aprildavis99
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Well, I like mostly very light mysteries, like the series by Maggie Sefton...Knit One, Kill Two. Mysteries where the amateur detective really has no detective skills but finds herself in a murder mystery. Sefton's amateur detective owns a knitting shop..so it's doubly fun for me. cloud9
But part of the challenge for myself is to read a number of books by authors I have never read, therefore forcing me to read other genres. I do this by picking an author for each letter of the alphabet. It sends me on a hunt through the library shelves. I'm about as addicted to those shelves as to the shelves of yarn at the shops. :mrgreen: I've all kinds of different genres that way. Some I liked, some not so much.
I listen to lots of audio books while I knit also. Multi-tasking is great!!:woohoo:

jberry16
01-07-2008, 05:43 PM
what a neat idea-I need/want to go to the library-just hard to do so with 3 littleones. Will have to wait for a night that I can go after dinner and before bedtime once dh is home to watch the kids.

starburst
01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I used to be able to do 100 books a year, but with school lately I've been swamped. Plus, the last book that I decided to read was Infinite Jest which is about 1000 pages. It's so dense that I just can't get through it.

Quiara
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
I read constantly and listen to audiobooks all the time. Audiobooks bug me, though, because I read really fast and they dont' *go* really fast. I enjoy them when I have eyestrain or when I'm knitting, but for the most part, I want a physical book. I was an English major for my first degree, so I got plenty of reading done then. Then I heard how some people don't read as much anymore when they leave college and was determined that it wouldn't happen to me. Helps that my first apartment roommate had also been an English major/bookworm. ^_~

Anyway, I used to log the # of books I read in a year, but the numbers don't mean a lot to me. I consistently read more than 200, but what does that really *mean*? I have eclectic taste, so they come from all over the spectrum, but still - what does it *mean* to say that you've read x# books? I'd almost say that if one had to quantify, a certain number of pages would be a more adequate measure. But even then, it's sketchy as to what that actually means in concrete terms.

I dunno. For a liberal arts person, I'm kinda analytical. ^_~

aprildavis99
01-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I keep track of the books I read only because having a number of books to read gets me back out in those shelves looking for something new. Just like getting tons of patterns just to look at potential yarns. :teehee:

VictoiseC
01-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh wow April! That is amazing yarn! I have some lorna's lace but just regular, not silk (I mean merino). I guess you got a good amount of it for that price? I hope to see what you make of it.
I'venever gone that high on yarn yet! but talk about regret... a woman had a large skein of hand dyed hand spun wool at the Rhinebeck festival last year. It was around $55 or $58. I kept going back over and over to look at it but I just couldn't afford it (well, my DH was with me!:roll:) and I've never seen anything that beautiful since.

Btw, how did you get that little picture there... usually they are at the bottom. Can't wait to see what you make with it...

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
aprildavis99- Your yarn is breathe-takingly beautiful! What a find! I am finding that each time I am near yarn I have to touch it....it is so soft :) Right now, I can't buy anything. I spend $60 on two knitting DVDs last week. I am so desperately wanting the Denise circular set. I was very excited my hubby wanted to learn to knit UNTIL last night. It was his second attempt and he was doing well. Then, to my shock, he made and mistake on his swatch and CUT it with scissors. I was hoping my sharp inhale would discourage this. By the third time, I HAD to ask him to let me help. I taught him how to tink and frog. Then, I left the room and was able to relax with my knitting. Unfortunately, when I returned after he went to bed, he left the yarn and needles on the couch! We have cats.....they love to play with yarn and bite on needles! I put the yarn back in it's bag and the needles in the case. I figured out how to talk to him about those two things.....just calmly explain that the cats can ruin the WIPs. However, how do I explain that he is going to have to purchase his own yarn to work with. My stash is beautiful. I put lots of thought into each purchase....touching the material.....figure out what to make with it.....and protecting it in bags. He feels I could just go buy more yarn and does not understand. Do you have any advice PLEASE. I love that he wants to learn to knit and I look forward to shopping in our LYS and knitting with him. Unfortunately, I see knitting as an art to be LOVED and CHERISHED.....he sees it as a hobby.

jberry16
01-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Jenny-buy him some cheaper yarn at Michaels-some of their stuff feels nice-but is much cheaper than the lys-OR tell him he has to learn on red heart. I would cry if anyone cut my yarn. I have red heart esp for the kids to 'knit/crochet' with when Im doing my own. & I use it to practice new techniques on. Caron Simply Soft is nice too-for learning/practice.

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 07:41 PM
jberry16- thank you so much for replying. I am so glad someone understands my situation :) I will do that immediately. I have been so anxious over this situation that I had trouble sleeping last night. Thanks again :)

Lucy78green
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
umn, ball of string and two sharpened dowling rods! that and the receipt for the stuff he ruined - maybe that'll make him realise...

aprildavis99
01-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Jennyloves2knit---I'm so sorry that happened. I hope that as he gets more into knitting and learning about the different fibers that he will come to understand what each is worth...monetarily as well as emotionally. But :woohoo: that he wants to learn at all.

VictoiseC---while I was at the Lorna's Laces site I just right clicked on the picture and then clicked on copy picture and then pasted it to my post. The yarn that I bought was 1200 yards. Enough for a pretty large shawl.

Jennyloves2knit
01-09-2008, 06:10 AM
aprildavis99 UPDATE :)
What a difference a short amount of time makes! First, all the wonderful support made me be able to think instead of being anxious I went to Michaels and purchased him two beautiful skeins of yarn. I was amazed at how excited he was about having his own yarn.....he is realizing that knitting is an art Then, he completed his first knitted swatch with his new yarn We discussed, calmly, that WIPs could be ripped out by our cats and what would happen to the bamboo needles after the cats teeth marks. He completely understood. Further, after realizing I only have one pair of needles from size 7-11, he said we could go to our LYN and purchase my first set of circular needles I am so excited!:knitting: :woohoo: :woot:

Shandeh
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Wow! EXCELLENT news! :woohoo:
It all worked out in the end, didn't it? :)

jberry16
01-09-2008, 02:42 PM
yippeeeee & youre welcome Jenny

April-did ya ever think that your post would turn into discussing the things we have?

aprildavis99
01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
No, Jberry. It's crazy how things take off. It's just like real life. :teehee: And on a Rio Rancho note...I hate that there are no good knitting books in Hastings. I haven't check Albuquerque yet, but ours is blah. Ugh!!
Jennyloves2knit---That's great. I'm so glad he is starting to get it. And now you'll be shopping for tons of stuff.....for 2 knit-a-holics!!!:woohoo:

NewYearsSwapScouter
01-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, I like mostly very light mysteries, like the series by Maggie Sefton...Knit One, Kill Two. Mysteries where the amateur detective really has no detective skills but finds herself in a murder mystery. Sefton's amateur detective owns a knitting shop..so it's doubly fun for me. cloud9
But part of the challenge for myself is to read a number of books by authors I have never read, therefore forcing me to read other genres. I do this by picking an author for each letter of the alphabet. It sends me on a hunt through the library shelves. I'm about as addicted to those shelves as to the shelves of yarn at the shops. :mrgreen: I've all kinds of different genres that way. Some I liked, some not so much.
I listen to lots of audio books while I knit also. Multi-tasking is great!!:woohoo:

One of my favorite new sites is goodreads.com It's neato browsing around and building up your own shelves, but it's even more fun when you get a few friends (or make a few friends) and see what they're reading, what they recommend, etc.

Check it out! It's given me a longer to-read list than I could get to before my eyes go bad!

jberry16
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
No, Jberry. It's crazy how things take off. It's just like real life. :teehee: And on a Rio Rancho note...I hate that there are no good knitting books in Hastings. I haven't check Albuquerque yet, but ours is blah. Ugh!!

Well I dont know about any in RR, but down the hill, borders and barns & noble both have some. I like borders more because they're cheaper and I think their staff is friendlier. What are you looking for? Lavendar Lamb has some.

aprildavis99
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I really want the Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Sock Book. I checked it out at the library and loved it.:heart: So I want my very own to pet it and hug it and kiss it and love it and call it George!!! cloud9
I will check out B&N and Borders, and of course Lavender Lamb.:mrgreen:

jberry16
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
check amazon.com and buy it used for cheap! They have new ones (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1933027193/sr=8-1/qid=1200079791/ref=olp_pg_new?ie=UTF8&coliid=&startIndex=0&me=&qid=1200079791&sr=8-1&seller=&colid=&condition=new) for $17.18 + 3.99 s&h.

aprildavis99
01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I was looking at Amazon but I wanted it right away. So I went and got it at B&N. They had a nice book on shawls too. But I can wait for that one. I think it was called Arctic Lace. I still went to Lavender Lamb looking for reinforcement thread for my DH's socks. They don't carry it. So it's going to be a field trip to Village Wools next. :teehee:
So I am off of work today and I am going to take the kids to see the new Veggie Tales movie. I think I am just as excited as they are. I loved Jonah. I can't wait to see Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. :woohoo:

jberry16
01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
sounds like fun-let me know what you think-my kids are asking to go...they've never been to the movies

starburst
01-12-2008, 02:46 PM
If you want cheap books, I would also check out Half.com. that's where I buy all of my books now because the prices are just unbelieveable sometimes

aprildavis99
01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
We enjoyed The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything. Not as much as Jonah, but it was good (I don't know if you have ever seen Veggie Tales' Jonah). It had a few slow parts that weren't very funny, but still lots of good parts. My boys had a good time and talked about it all the way back to the car...even my 9 year old.:teehee:

jberry16
01-13-2008, 12:18 PM
we'll probably rent it or wait for the $1.00 movie

going to check out 1/2.com

Shandeh
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I LOVE the pirates on my "Silly Songs with Larry" video.
:teehee:

aprildavis99
01-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I love the Silly Songs. They get stuck in my head...especially "Barbara Manatee":aww: Those Veggies just crack me up.:teehee:

jberry16
01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
they get stuck in my head too & the kids love 'em

aprildavis99
01-16-2008, 04:24 PM
So I finally got to work on my shawl. I am at about row 15 now. Next week I'm going to break down and buy a digital camera so I can share the beauty of the yarn with you all. It is so soft and smooth to work with. If I ever (not likely at this point but whatever) buy extravagent yarn, Lorna's Laces is the first one I'm reaching for. cloud9
I finished one of my son's socks and started the other. It's so fun to see how quick the small socks work up. It is almost addicting. Who am I kidding...it is addicting!:mrgreen:

jberry16
01-16-2008, 08:39 PM
o yes you have to get a camera! My favs have been canon & fuji film ones- didnt care for the kodak easyshare...You can get a nice one for under $200 @ walmart. And I wouldn't go smaller than a 4 megapixal. Cannot wait to see what you've been working on!

starburst
01-17-2008, 04:46 AM
I suggest casios--they're inexpesive but they are high quality. I have one and my friend just got the newer model and we agree--they're the best cameras we have ever had.

aprildavis99
01-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the camera ideas. I'll keep them in mind. I'm on my way to Village Wools to sign up for a lace class.:woot: They finally emailed me their class list.:star: They have so many other classes that I found myself making a list of classes I want to take all the way through May.:teehee: I'll have to decide on only a couple though. It's not like they're free.:roll:

jberry16
01-18-2008, 06:36 PM
lucky duck!
I want to take the top down reglan one-mainly for the pattern, but dont want to spend $60 on that...

tokmom
01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
gorgeous!cloud9

knittingymnast
01-19-2008, 09:25 AM
wonderful!! :yay: good choice!

aprildavis99
01-20-2008, 11:20 PM
So I ended up signing up for the Introduction to Lace :mrgreen: , but it's not until the end of April.:pout:
But I have tons of socks to hold me over until then.:teehee:
I can't believe how nice everyone is there. I was looking for those tube thingies that you can put you dpns with you WIP socks in so that the points are covered (and you don't stab the heck out of your purse) and the sock is hanging out of the side of the tube. They didn't have any, but put it on a list and said they would call me when it came in. Yay!! Another reason to go there.:woot: I wanted to join the on going afghan square club, but I work Tuesday nights.:roll:
Jberry---I agree. $60 is too much if you only really want the pattern. Maybe you could ask them what pattern they will be using and get it some other way.

jberry16
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
cool I don't think I'd seen those, is there a website with a photo of them?

aprildavis99
01-22-2008, 02:35 AM
They're called DPN WIP tubes. Knit Picks has some.
http://www.knitpicks.com/DPN%20WIP%20Tubes_AD80510.html

jberry16
01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Those are really neat-did Village Wools tell you what the cost would be?

aprildavis99
01-22-2008, 08:29 PM
No. I didn't even think to ask. :aww: I was just so excited about signing up for a class.:teehee:
So, how are the kiddies? Keeping you busy? I am :pray: for warmer weather. I'm tired of chasing after runny noses.:ick:

Starburst -- I was looking at the Casio's and think that will be the kind of camera I get. Come on, payday!:mrgreen:

jberry16
01-22-2008, 09:37 PM
yea for a new camera!
have you seen this one (http://www.costco.com:80/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11238942&cm_mmc=BCEmail_263-_-Banner-_-5-_-NikonL14), its on costco.com if you belong it'd be a great buy.
kids are fine, dh is sick-stayed home today, men are such babies when they're sick. o well, maybe he'll go to work tomorrow. At least I got to run my errands today with just the baby, the other 2 stayed with him.
I really want warm weather, like nothing below 50-and no wind...I hate runny noses.

aprildavis99
01-24-2008, 01:45 AM
My friend at work has that camera. It's nice. I don't know anything about them so I will have to really look around and ask lots of questions. I have no idea what they are capable of now. My last camera was one of those old Polaroids from a million years ago that spit out the picture and you watched it magically develop.
:aww: