PDA

View Full Version : knit flat on circulars?

sayhellotoerin
12-29-2007, 10:23 PM
Hello! Can I knit something flat on circular needles? I'm knitting a gigantic poncho on straight needles and it's getting tough on the wrists!!!...not to mention it's hard to keep all those stitches on the needles!

RoseFairy
12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Yup you can knit flat on circular needles, instead of continuing to knit in a round you would just knit back the way you came when you reached the end of your rows.

cmhoover1
12-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I actually find it easier on circulars. The straight needles put a strain on my wrist. I am especially fond of my Addi turbos and the new Fiddlesticks circulars. Once I found those, I just want to burn the stiff cables of the old ones.

Quiara
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I only ever use circs anymore. I don't think I even own any straight needles... I use them for everything. ^_^

ironmaiden
12-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Hello! Can I knit something flat on circular needles? I'm knitting a gigantic poncho on straight needles and it's getting tough on the wrists!!!...not to mention it's hard to keep all those stitches on the needles!

I knit almost everything on circs (unless it requires dpns) - they're easier to hold (I knit English so when I let go of the needle to wrap the yarn, it doesn't drop and I don't have to balance it somehow) and can hold more stitches.

The.Knitter
12-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Absolutely! I don`t ever use straights anymore. The circs let the weight of the knitting rest in your lap, not on your wrists. Once I started knitting with the circs I never went back to straight needles. Good luck and happy knitting!

vgemini
12-30-2007, 01:47 AM
Circulars are the only way to go! They also are great for knitting in tight quarters (subway trains/buses) becqause your elbows are not sticking directly out. With circulars your elbows are closer to your body.

ignora
12-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Ditto what everyone else said. I don't even own any straight needles...

starburst
12-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Yup--I gave all of my straights to my sister because I have my denises and don't need much else other than dpns

knitpurlgurl
12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I only ever use circs anymore. I love them so much. I can't remember the last time I used single pointed needles.

starburst
12-30-2007, 03:50 PM
My dad saw me knitting flat on circs the other day and he asked me "So, is that like wearing mittens with a string that runs through your coat?"

oy vey:teehee:

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Well it is, sorta..... you don't tend to lose one of your needles.