PDA

View Full Version : The Knitting Diet Challenge/KAL

Pages : [1] 2

knitpurlgurl
12-30-2007, 06:23 PM
:knitting: I used to be a svelt size 4 before I had two children. Now, I'm a whopping size 14 and SICK of it! I need to lose 50#. My goal is to lose 1 pound a week. I plan to do it with the help of WW and knitting. :aww:

So here's the deal:

To join, you have to pledge the following:
1.) To work on an UFO at least 1/2 hour each day
2.) To pick up an UFO instead of nibbling
3.) To decrease your stash along with your weight
4.) To post pics of your FOs
5.) To share your joys and frustrations whether weight or yarn
6.) To share links to free patterns you are working on that are terrific!

There will not be a set project or set sign up date. Who's with me?!

mommydearest
12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm in. Just posted in the other section but will add...

I have 100 lbs to lose but will start with 1-2 lbs a week and exercise. I will post my UFO's tomorrow after taking pics.

Thanks for the KAL - it will be a tremendous help.

Mary

Kels Joy.
12-30-2007, 06:38 PM
count me in! :thumbsup:

Spikey
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I'm in! I am very inspired by Shandeh's terrific 30lb weight loss on her low carb diet.
I would like to lose 20lbs and finish my lace shawl. It keeps getting put to the bottom of the WIP pile...
Thanks for starting this, Knitpurlgurl!!:hug:

alleusion
12-31-2007, 12:38 AM
What's funny, is I remarked to my DH tonight that knitting kept me from munching.

I'm joining this, but in a modified way. Because, as we know, being pregnant, is NOT the time to go on a diet. However, I'm at the point in my pregnancy where all I want to do is eat! And not always good things either. See, Emily wants me to eat every 2-4 hours. If I don't, she makes me nauseous and I start gagging. It's not pretty. But, if I'm bored, I tend to get snacky. So tonight, I started a new sock pattern. It's a little lacy and a bit complicated. Before I knew it, 2 hours had gone by and it was really time to eat.

Here's a little about myself, and why I'm obsessed with my weight, even though I'm not supposed to be....

In high school, I was never tiny. I stopped growing at 5'9", and graduated high school around 175 lbs. I also graduated pregnant, although I didn't know it. I gained almost 50 lbs with that baby and lost all but 5. Of course I gained it back and got pregnant again. That pregnancy only netted me 11 lbs, which after my son's birth, was gone and then some.

Long story short, up until 2 years ago, I topped the scales at 300 lbs. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery in Oct 05 (took my knitting with me to the hospital too). I lost 158 lbs total. This past July, after finding out I was pregnant again, I lost 10 more pounds due to the nausea and just plain feeling icky (included in the 158 total :p). So far with this baby I've gained about 10-15 pounds...perfectly normal. However, I'm terrified of gaining too much and not being able to lose it.

So...I'm going to watch what I put in my mouth and when it goes in there. If it's not feeding time, it's knitting time.

I hope that even while pregnant, I can be part of this..../beg

Liliyarn
12-31-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm in! I had similar ideas...here's my yarny fitness plan.
I set goals each week. Right now they are 8 servings of water & 30 minutes of exercise each day.
I cannot go to my weekly knit meet until I've worked out and had a healthy meal (no eating at Starbucks).
I reward consistency with non food items. I put star stickers on my wall calendar for each goal I met ever day. Something splurgy and small like a manicure, hair cut, spa visit and all the girlie stuff I never do.
I reward pounds lost with knitty/spinny stuff.
So far I've lost 6 pounds and that was during the holidays!! What a miracle.
Healthy tip I have learned recently: Drink lots of water, even flavored water like Crystal light. Your body holds on to water if it does not get a steady supply because it is trained into thinking it will not get water soon. Once you retrain it, it will get rid of the excess water it has been storing. Also, lack of water slows your metabolism. Your liver doesn't function properly and stores fat instead of processing it. I have started drinking two servings of water first thing in the AM. Juices, colas, coffee, and such do not count as water. They contain ingredients which can aid in water retention. Plus they contain significant calories. Don't drink your calories.
I hope that helps someone.

mom2hancj
12-31-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm in!!! I need to reduce my stash and my waistline. I don't have many UFO right now but I do have a huge stash that needs to be worked up into something.

I too want to begin eating healthier and exercising regularly. This will be a fun challenge to work on both at the same time :)

Dark Hippy
12-31-2007, 06:17 AM
This sounds like a great idea. Count me in! I have my own little reasons for wanting to lose weight- I'm getting married in October on the twenty sixth! My family (everyone minus one brother and an aunt) died over the last year, and needless to say it left me a little depressed. So I gained weight. I think dieting with other people (and being rewarded with knitting stuff, not food) will help me actually stay consistant. I shall happily begin tomorrow!

psquidy
12-31-2007, 09:43 AM
This is great. I'm starting right now. So far so good. I think i'll do weigh ins on Mondays an see how i'm doing. Anyone want to do a Monday weigh in and report with me? Track our progress? We can do it everyone!

miccisue
12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!! Only problem I have is the pics part....don't know how to post pics.:verysad:
Don't know when I'm going to fit everything in - 11 hour work days, 30 min. exercise, fixing a meal, knitting, laundry........ah well, where there's a will, there's a way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW, I need to lose 65 pounds. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing how that stuff creeps on a year at a time.

Spikey
12-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Hi Gang,
Shandeh and I were talking about exercise on her blog, and I thought I post the suggestions here as well:
I try to find creative ways to exercise, as it is difficult for me to get to the gym. There are so many things you can do around the house, that I can't believe I still find excuses not to work out. :??

Anyway, according to the Yarn Harlot, knitting burns 90 calories an hour! :woot: Knitting while walking or doing alternating leg extensions while kntting would certainly burn more (and help keep blood from pooling in my legs which is a problem for me),

Vacuuming, mopping, etc are all very aerobic. Anything that gets the body moving and the heart rate up is good for us. Video games can be a great workout if you really get into it! DH and I play Wii tennis and bunch of other Wii sports, which are a surprisingly good workout - and it is so much fun that you don't realize how long you've been doing it.

A workout partner can also be a great motivator. Arranging to meet a friend at the fitness club, or for an exercise walk, will make me do it, but I won't if I have to do it on my own.

The support from this group will be a great motivator for me.

Dark Hippy - Congrats on your engagement! I am so sorry about all of the loss you have suffered over the past year. All the best for a MUCH happier 2008, with treasured memories of those loved ones.

Liliyarn
12-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Little ways to get tasks done:
Work out as you can. Break it up. Do 10-15 minutes at a time.
Focus on moves that will target the most muscles. Crunches, Squats, lunges, push ups.
Take a lunch walk break.
Wake 20 minutes earlier if possible to get it done first thing.
Plan meals and do as much cooking and preparing ahead of time. I do it over the weekend. Also when I am pressed for a work lunch I go by Publix and get one of their salads.
Keep healthy snacks at work. No vending machines.
I do laundry almost every morning. Start a load then toss in dryer when I get home from work. Next morning take out clean clothes and fold as much as I can in fifteen minutes.
I knit mostly at night or at work lunch break.
Start small. Don't make yourself work out 30 minutes at first, start with 10 minutes then next week go for 20 minutes. Build good habits. Same with diet changes.
I keep a food journal & work out journal. I'm also in a cardio team challenge where we compete to see which group gets the most cardio minutes.
Right now I use knitting & spinning as a reward when I work out and eat healthy. However, I think I may use it for when I want chocolate =-)
Today I'm off to grocery shop and meal plan for the week. Then I come home and measure everything out & put into containers to grab.

Liliyarn
12-31-2007, 11:03 AM
I do my weigh in on Saturday, but will post my progress. This week 0 pounds lost total of 6 pounds lost since I started keeping track.

DQ
12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
I want to say I'm in...but I've already started my own personal challenge and reward system.

Basically it's just cutting portions, trying to eat healthy, and at least 30 mins of extra (ie not including housework) exercise at least 5 times a week. I'm on week 4 and I've lost 5lbs, and I didn't put any on over Christmas week! :cheering: I weigh myself each week (usually Fridays) and my reward is that for every lb I lose my DH gives me 1 to save towards whatever I like! At the moment I'm planning on taking at least some of the reward money along to the Stitch and Craft show that my mum and I plan to go to in February. That's if there is any money...for every lb I put back on I have to give 1 back!

The exercise I'm doing is either I use my manual treadmill, or I use one of my Rosemary Conley workout videos. I'm loving the videos so far :yay:

So can I join in a little bit even if I don't do the exact KAL? :hiding:

gargoylelib
12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
What a neat idea! Dh and I are starting back up on our South Beach
Diet after the first of the year and I love the idea of using my
knitting as a way to keep the nibbles away! I have already lost
20 pounds just following the diet but I hope to add some more
regular exercise when we start back up and hopefully get some more
weight off. I want to lost at least another 20 pounds and I have a
ton of knitting projects I want to do this coming year so what a perfect
partnership! :) I'm in!

Libbie :)

eladine
12-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Fantastic stuff!

I'm in also... 50 pounds to go, and that's a modest estimate - but lets see how that goes first!

I'm signing up, don't have that many ufo's, but i have to say my stash pile is remarkable!! I didn't know I'd stashed so much yarn here and there!!

Will try and post picx of me plus stash plus ufo (2 at the moment!) soon!

Happy New Year, and happy knitting!

El.

knitpurlgurl
12-31-2007, 12:30 PM
psquidy - I'm in for Monday weigh ins. Why don't we report our progress for our weigh in as well as any finished projects or progress toward finished projects?

Our first official weigh in will be on Monday, January 7th. You don't have to report your weight, but the anound lost or gained. We'll post in this format:

(Example)

Weight: -2 lbs
Project/Progress: Baby Blocks Baby Blanket/Finished 20 rows
Non-Scale Victories This Week:Exercised 3 times this week!

Whoever wants to start the post on Mondays, can start it. We can do this together!! :)

raykia
12-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I am IN!!!!

Well ladies I think that we all share the same goals here. And that is to Knit and To Lose some poundage here. lol Well I know for a fact that i completely lose track of time when I knit so, this is a great idea. Now how can I do my crunches and knit at the same time. mmmmmm. guess I have to put the needles down sometime.

But let's do it ladies. I have 17lbs to lose and a bin full of stash to help me stay away from the munchies.

Current WIP is a sweater that I started that has tried to defeat me time and again, but i am stubborn as we all are, when we want to finish a pattern that is just to pretty to let go. Other than that i am looking at socks, more socks, an afghan and more socks.
Til then , lets KNIT!!! and SWEAT!!!:knitting: :grphug:

DQ
12-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Weight: -2 lbs
Project/Progress: Baby Blocks Baby Blanket/Finished 20 rows
Non-Scale Victories This Week:Exercised 3 times this week!

:)

I like that...maybe I will try and include my knitting, I AM trying to de-stash after all!

aprildavis99
12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I'd like to join as well, but I also have the problem of posting pics. I haven't joined the most recent decade when it comes to gadgets and a digital camera is not among my posseesions. I can sometimes have a friend take pics for me but it's not very often since we see each other only once in a blue moon. :pout: But I can commit to everything else. As we speak, I am having a snack of 10 baby carrots and 32oz of plain ice water....and I have my crochet hook in hand. I am working on a baby blanket as I sit here at the computer. I have dial-up so I can crochet or knit in between pages loading.:aww: I am going for a walk with my boys later in the day. At least 30 min. I recently lost 8 lbs in 12 weeks on WW so I plan to keep that momemtum going.:woohoo:

tgwillis
12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
I would love to join in. The only part I can't do is de-stash. I am new to knitting and am just starting to build a little stash. Instead I will commit to trying a new project with a new skill (you will here my screams for help) and knit at least 30min to an hour every day. I have about 60lbs to lose. Hopefully knitting in the evening will keep me from snacking. I will try to figure out the picture posting.:aww:

I love the idea of money for each pound, maybe my husband will agree to a skien per ever 2 pounds. I just found out there is a LYS only 40 minutes from here and only 5 minutes from my daughters dance class.

New Girl
01-01-2008, 12:23 AM
I'm in! I have 100+ pounds to lose, a treadmill, and 6 totes of yarn. My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds per week, excercise at least 45 minutes 5 times per week, and have at least 4 of those totes empty by next December. This will be so helpful to have the support of the KAL.:knitting:

dip's mom
01-01-2008, 11:04 AM
i would like to join. Thursday weigh-ins work for me. I have 3 projects going now and alot of others planned. Setting 10% goals is a doable way of losing weight. You may have 50 lbs to lose but if you set 10% goals it doesn't seem as intimidating. I think one could walk a tredmill and knit a simple project. Also a stationary bike would work. and i have seen the idea of knitting with wrist weights which sounds like a great suggestion. Could be hard to knit 30 min a day and exercise 30 min a day as I still have to work, care for family etc. But I will remember too that a smaller person can wear a smaller size and that is very helpful in knitting garments!!

PamJ
01-01-2008, 11:11 AM
This is a great idea! I'm joining in and trying to lose 20 pounds.

Samsam
01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but yesterday I was thinking that winding hanks into usable skeins is excerise. I put the loops over my knees and sit on the carpet. I have to lift my legs up slightly as I wind them. And when you have to ball up 400 yards of sock yarn..that's quite a work out. So when you buy a hank at your lys.. wind it up yourself at home. And it's fun too...funny more like it, seeing me trying NOT to knot up my pretty pink sock yarn.

knitpurlgurl
01-01-2008, 04:27 PM
DH just agreed to buy me a skein or EACH pound lost! DH is also giving me a reward: For every 15 minutes I exercise, he will give me 15 minutes of kid-free knitting time!

Those of you who weigh in on days other than Mondays - post on the days you weigh in. The premise is to knit instead of eating. You can set goals as personal and intricate as you like. I think we should all fill out the mini-questionaire I posted when we post our weigh ins. If you can't post pics, don't sweat the small stuff! We're here to motivate one another!

FYI: Those of you without a stash to decrease - you're already a step ahead! Although, I must tell you, as knitters - you will eventually have a stash. It's a hobby hazard! :)

Jaxhil
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm excited to do this!! I need to lose at least 60, maybe 65 pounds. My DH has promised me $1000 for a WHOLE NEW WARDROBE :balloons:once I lose the weight, *plus* he would quit using tobacco!!

:woohoo:WOW -what a great guy :heart: :mrgreen:

I have been trying to lose this weight -albeit half-heartedly- for *years*. I was once VERY tiny (we're talking size one-i am really petite, not anorexic!! lol) and I am really sick of being so overweight. I really like the idea of going at it 10% at a time, that's a great idea! That seems much less scary-not to mention much more DO-able! than looking the whole dreadful amount at once!

I am really ready to get serious. I have been working out regularly for over 3 weeks now-4 x a wk. I'd like to up that to 6x a week, plus get my diet under control. I am doing a very simple (so that I can manage it! lol) diet called the No S diet (here's the website for it if anyone wants to look it up! nosdiet.com ). I've been trying for almost a year but really haven't put in the effort from my heart. So needless to say I haven't gotten far.

Thanks so much for starting this thread! This is going to be much easier knowing we're in this together!

Piratedogmama
01-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi there! I still have about 45-55 pounds to shed and really want to be 20 pounds down in addition to the 15 already gone before DD turns two at the end of March. I am trying to work on one project at a time this year.....so far, so good:thumbsup:

Weight:
Project/Progress: Combination knit and crochet pants for DD out of wool/Done with the ribbed waist band and onto the crocheted body about 3 rows.
Non-Scale Victories This Week: I did not buy any new yarn!

Thanks all!

Holly
01-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi all :-) This challenge is coming at the perfect time for me. I have been working out with a partner 2X a week, and we recently joined WW where she is doing awesome, and I'm doing terrible :-P In a nutshell: she stays committed to the eating plan, and I don't. I want to change that, and this challenge will help me :thumbsup: (I'm a night time knibbler and need to become a night time knitter!!) My goal is to lose 50#, but my first goal is to reach my 10% weight loss goal of 20#. Our weigh in is on Sat, so I can easily report on Mondays.
My niece asked me to maker her a Slytherin Scarf from the Charmed Knits book, so that is the project I will stay committed to on a daily basis so that she can have it to wear while it is still cold! (It is knit in the round so that it will all be striped stockinette, so it is a lot of mindless knitting.)
DK - do you watch Gillian McKeith's show You Are What You Eat? I love that show and catch it on BBC America. I'd like to incorporate her holistic eating plan, and have 2 of her books. It is an ambitious diet to undertake, though.
Holly

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-01-2008, 11:53 PM
i'll join in...

I've already managed to reduce my overall size by 92 pounds over the past year.... without fad diets, without pills, without shakes, etc....

I still have another 110 to go by this time next year (I have a personal trainer who has given me an eating and exercise plan that I do)... which means that i have to lose just over 2 pounds a week...

I do have a few UFO's...

2 weasley sweaters (1 1/2 sleaves to go on one, i've only done about 4 inches of the back of the second) and a pair of ankle socks.

craftymumnz
01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm in also as since the birth of my daughter Ive managed to gain an extra 30lbs on top of my pregnancy weight:aww: , I'm relatively new to knitting but already have a small stash, its such a great idea but I'm going to take it one step further that every time i feel like eating ill have a glass of water and do a bit of knitting to keep my fingers busy and away from the fridge/pantry:wink: .

UFOs
Lilly in pink bolero (for daughter)
button bolero ( " " )
bamboo singlet ( " " )
vest for D's
2 dishcloths

jeanius80
01-02-2008, 02:24 AM
i am joining.. (i am also posting FOs on the 2008 stashie KAL)

I have 20 month old dd, and i had lost 20 lbs (from 240lbs) before i got pregnant. during our pregnancy, i ate healthy and gained a total of 12lbs (i am sure my body was donating lots of calories too ;) ) After having my daughter, i shot back up to 220 and have since lost 20, then gained back 10 in the last few months :/

My goal is to be healthy and hopefully get back down to 160#. The sooner the better. I have a few issues i need to get under control in order to get to my goals

1. Don't eat crap! (hard cause i have no self control. AT. ALL.)

2. Get in exercise! (this is hard- i can't afford a gym, and am the type to need someone to workout with.. no one in my house is interested :(

3. Knit up the stashed yarn that i bought for specific projects (this encompasses most of my stash)

the last one isn't hard, i just need to knit more and be online less (i do more reading about knitting than actual knitting)

Thanks for the "knit"-along :heart:

Jaxhil
01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
wow! LilHFM, that is GREAT! Can you tell a little more about how you've lost 92 lbs in a year? What an inspiration! you should be very proud :woot::woohoo:

HamaLee
01-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm still in! I'd say I have about 50 lbs to lose. My goals are:

1. NO FAST FOOD (keep snacks in the car for the ride home for work, my weakest point)

2. NO SODA, NO JUICE (I don't even like it that much! What a waste of calories)

3. Get back into regular yoga practice, starting with an easy 20 minutes a day and walk the dog even when it's icky out.

4. Every time I'm "hungry," have a glass of water and knit for 15 minutes first to see if I'm actualy hungry or just bored.

5. Knock out some of my queue items!

Yay!
I don't have a scale at home and I'm not going to obsess, I'll gauge things by how my clothes fit. I know my weight as of the beginning of December since I went to the doctor. So when I go back at the end of January for another vaccination I'll ask them to get my weight again and see if it's changed.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2008, 10:09 AM
wow! LilHFM, that is GREAT! Can you tell a little more about how you've lost 92 lbs in a year? What an inspiration! you should be very proud :woot::woohoo:

i'm happy with the progress so far but far from satisfied. I'd like to run in a marathon in 2 years (everything i've said says to take it easy the first year to give your joints and bones time to get stronger.. as well as stamina, then the second year i plan on working on speed). I haven't decided which one to do yet but I know there are more than a few around us, my ultimate goal with that is to do the big one in NYC that goes through the 5 boroughs... we have friends that live down there :)

i use fitday.com to keep track of what I eat. I was torn a new one by my personal trainer when he saw what i'd been doing to myself (consuming approx. 700 calories a day, my body has been in starvation mode). So he told me to consume 1500 calories, no more than 20 net carbs (i can eat what i want, just don't go over my net carbs... and yes, in that what i want includes places like Panera Breads when we go out to eat!) and i walk quite a bit at a pace of 3 1/2 to 4 miles an hour. Times when I can't go out to walk (like the last couple of weeks thanks to crappy weather up here and I don't own a treadmill YET) I take advantage of the Exercise TV on demand channel that we get with Digital Cable so i can change it up. I also drink no less than 128 ounces of water (1 gallon) a day. It's one of those things where when I started, i ended up gaining 5 pounds while my body figured out that it was going to be getting food 5-6 different times a day (approx. 300 calories at each smaller meal) then the excess weight started falling off. the only annoying part (which i will gladly take) is i have to go buy new pants every month to month and a half because they no longer stay up :)

and of course, knitting prevents snacking :)

knitpurlgurl
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Anyone know how to create a button (picture) to illustrate our challenge so that we can put it in our sigs?

JamOKnit
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
What a great idea for a KAL! It's been so hard for me to learn to eat better and fit in more exercise....I spent all of last year making excuses like "I'm too tired" or "I have too much to do". Well, this year is going to be different! I know it's hard to commit to too many things at once, so I'm going to start with going to Jazzercise 3 days a week (I am paying for it anyway, so it's a motivator) and drinking more water during the day. I also plan to work on my diet but with a hungry husband at home, it's hard to always have dinners made of vegetables and such...he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I think, though, I can focus on smaller portions and use a small plate instead of a large dinner plate.
I don't have too far to go...but sometimes that's the hardest! Ideally I would like to lose 15 lbs and get back into a size 8 pant! :) I'm 5'6" and all my weight is in my hips and waist...I'm actually very petite on top and not too busty so I look pretty disproportional. Noticing more and more tummy bulge and I know that's not healthy. Also, no scale at home so we'll see if I notice any change in how my clothes fit. I need to keep reminding myself that the results will take TIME. Much longer than I expect.
As for knitting, it was SUCH a relief to finish all my Christmas presents....it really came down to the wire! So for 2008 I am stash-busting and hoping to finish some projects for MYSELF.
Glad to join in!

HamaLee
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
I forgot to add another goal:
Eat at least one salad a day.

I have a great salad bar at work, I should take advantage! I love veggies but I never eat enough.

Water drinking is so important, I feel much better when I'm getting at least 8-10 glasses a day (more if it's hot or I exercise). I have a Nalgene on my desk at all times and I sip throughout the day. I try to make sure I've finished between 1.5 and 2 bottles by the end of the work day. Then I've always got a glass at my computer desk at home.

I just joined FitDay, thanks for the rec. I think I'll try to use it at first for basic exercise and nutrition goals and not worry so much about calorie counting right off the bat.

I'm still in! I'd say I have about 50 lbs to lose. My goals are:

1. NO FAST FOOD (keep snacks in the car for the ride home for work, my weakest point)

2. NO SODA, NO JUICE (I don't even like it that much! What a waste of calories)

3. Get back into regular yoga practice, starting with an easy 20 minutes a day and walk the dog even when it's icky out.

4. Every time I'm "hungry," have a glass of water and knit for 15 minutes first to see if I'm actualy hungry or just bored.

5. Knock out some of my queue items!

Yay!
I don't have a scale at home and I'm not going to obsess, I'll gauge things by how my clothes fit. I know my weight as of the beginning of December since I went to the doctor. So when I go back at the end of January for another vaccination I'll ask them to get my weight again and see if it's changed.

Holly
01-02-2008, 11:52 AM
LilHSM - thanks for the details...what an inspiration you are! :muah: My exercise goal is to run a 5K in the Spring. My workout partner and I were just starting to do more jogging w/ our walking when the weather turned too icey/snowy to really jog outside. We've since switched to workout DVD's, etc... However, I am a member of the YMCA, but only contributing financially -- not actually going to the gym for many months now :aww: . I will change this and use the Y when I'm not meeting w/ my workout partner and start to really train so that I can run a 5K. I walked (fast :wink: ) in a breast cancer fund raiser in the fall, but I really wanted to be able to run it. I can't even imagine running a marathon!!

HamaLee
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh I forgot to mention: SparkPeople (http://www.sparkpeople.com)is another great free site that's like Fitday, it just has a slightly different set up. So check them both out to see which one organizes things in a way you like.

And anyone who's thinking about starting to run for exercise, CoolRunning (http://www.coolrunning.com)is a great site with advice and a daily log, etc (you just have to ignore some of the running snobs). And there's a GREAT beginner's program called "Couch to 5K" which will have you running for 30mins or 3 miles straight in about two months. One of the CR members made a podcast that puts music (and words of encouragement) to each of the workouts. It was awesome when I did it last year and I think I'll plan on doing it again.

Lisa1216
01-02-2008, 12:30 PM
And anyone who's thinking about starting to run for exercise, CoolRunning (http://www.coolrunning.com)is a great site with advice and a daily log, etc (you just have to ignore some of the running snobs). And there's a GREAT beginner's program called "Couch to 5K" which will have you running for 30mins or 3 miles straight in about two months. One of the CR members made a podcast that puts music (and words of encouragement) to each of the workouts. It was awesome when I did it last year and I think I'll plan on doing it again.
I did the Couch to 5k program also in the beginning of the year. I loved it. (I then had vein surgery on my legs and had to stop for a few months). Cool Running is a great site, but it was just taken over by Active.com. There was mention that the free running programs, like Couch to 5k, would cost after the switch over, but I haven't been back to see if they are still free or not. If you stay in the Newbie section of the forums, most people are pretty helpful and will answer all of your questions.
I'd like to join this group too, although I don't have much weight to lose. It would be more for fitness and health reasons. I also have some UFO's and a lot of stash I could be knitting up. My goals, which I started 2 weeks ago, are to get back into the running and finish a 5k in the spring. (My BIL has run a half marathon and is now training for his first marathon). I'm also trying to increase my water intake and am adding in some fruit and veggies each day. I usually lack on those two.
Great job to all of us that have started working toward being healthier! Happy New Year to everyone!

knitpurlgurl
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
To all of you who have posted awesome weight losses already - you inspire me to do this. Your hard work and dedication will be such an inspiration to those of us just getting started. It's really nice that we'll have such a diverse group of people - all at different points in their weight loss and at different fitness levels. It will keep us newbies motivated and on our toes!

Here are my personal goals (1st set of goals): Goal Deadline April 1st
1.) Lose 10% - 18#
2.) Drink water instead of other high cal beverages. Drink at least 1 glass of water for each caffeinated beverage I consume.
3.) Exercise 15 minutes a day, 3 times a week
4.) Cut out the crap from my diet: limit sweets and processed foods to a minimum and only occassionally! This means more fresh produce and ACTUAL cooking on my part!
5.) Don't think of it as a diet. Diets fail. Reprogram my brain to think of it as a lifestyle change.
6.) Don't make changes to my lifestyle that I cannot keep up forever. No more crash diets. No eliminating foods. It never works in the end. Limit the crapola, but don't eliminate it. Everyone needs a piece of chocolate cake every great once in a while.
7.) Get my family involved in a healthier lifestyle. Even though I am the only one overweight, I want my family to develop healthy eating and exercising habits. If I am surrounded by people who are all doing the same thing, it won't be so hard.
8.) When I feel the urge to nibble (usually out of boredom, habit, or anxiety), pull out the knitting and do something constructive, not destructive.
9.) Meet with my knitting group at LEAST once a month. I need other adult interaction. I need some me time. Without it, I start to get bored and resentful and then I EAT!
10.) Remember that EVERYONE slips up. It's not the end of the world. Get back on the wagon and try again. Don't throw in the towel over a brownie.
11.) Don't forget the NON-SCALE victories. There will be weeks when the scale is not favorable. Remember to celebrate my healthier lifestyle, my renewed commitment to knitting (my passion), and my commitment to enjoying and more importantly, LIVING life.
12.) WEIGH IN once a week (and no more than that) and be accountable - no matter WHAT the scale says. Lying to myself or hiding isn't going to make the pounds go away.
13.) Thank God every day that He gave me this life and that I should do my best to continue living it fully.

Lisa1216
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Here's another link for anyone interested in beginning walking/running for exercise. It's from the Runner's World web site.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381--678-1-1X2X4X5X6-6,00.html

I'm going to try this one and see how it goes. :thumbsup:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
6.) Don't make changes to my lifestyle that I cannot keep up forever. No more crash diets. No eliminating foods. It never works in the end. Limit the crapola, but don't eliminate it. Everyone needs a piece of chocolate cake every great once in a while.
7.) Get my family involved in a healthier lifestyle. Even though I am the only one overweight, I want my family to develop healthy eating and exercising habits. If I am surrounded by people who are all doing the same thing, it won't be so hard.
11.) Don't forget the NON-SCALE victories. There will be weeks when the scale is not favorable. Remember to celebrate my healthier lifestyle, my renewed commitment to knitting (my passion), and my commitment to enjoying and more importantly, LIVING life.
12.) WEIGH IN once a week (and no more than that) and be accountable - no matter WHAT the scale says. Lying to myself or hiding isn't going to make the pounds go away.

#6:
you can still do things like eat out. When we go to Mc Donald's i get a side salad and a grilled snack wrap, then don't eat the tortilla. Also check online to see which places you like to frequent have the nutritional information up so you can make your choice BEFORE you get there and binge on high calorie and high carb foods :)

#7:
you'll find the kids will adapt to it easier than the spouse... I'll go and post a site that i use frequently for low carb recipies :)

#11:
remember that muscle weighs more than fat. In addition to using a scale don't forget about a tape measure. So even on the weeks when the scale doesn't move, you still have inches to measure and see results in.

#12:
They've actually done studies that show weighing in daily is more beneficial... it allows for an immediate correction if the numbers start going up as opposed to waiting after a week and having to work even harder the following week.

HamaLee
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Cool Running is a great site, but it was just taken over by Active.com. There was mention that the free running programs, like Couch to 5k, would cost after the switch over, but I haven't been back to see if they are still free or not.

Oh noes, this is so sad :verysad: I haven't been back to the site in ages so I didn't know. I prolly shoulda done that before recommending it, sorry!

Lisa1216
01-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh noes, this is so sad :verysad: I haven't been back to the site in ages so I didn't know. I prolly shoulda done that before recommending it, sorry!

I just went and looked and it's still free!:cheering: :cheering:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

knitpurlgurl
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Lilhuskiesfootballmom:

I don't give up eating out. I belong to WW. It's just that I want to live healthier - Processed foods are just as bad for you whether they are low-cal, low-carb or full-fat. I want to eat whole foods for the most part. Like I said, I won't eliminate any foods. I'm just going to limit them. Portion control and whole foods are the way to go (for me).

When I was working in a cardiologists' office and giving patients dietary instruction, I always found that they would eliminate foods and then eventually binge. The cardiologists wanted them to eat more simply: whole foods, limit portions, and limit processed and junk foods. The patients who followed that advice had the most success. They never felt deprived and found they could enjoy a meal at any time at any location. I hope to emulate that. :)

Also, I HAVE to limit my weigh ins. I tend to get obsessive otherwise. I want to know if I'm making progress, but I don't want the scale to be my whole focus.

I would love any recipes you send! Thanks!! :)

mommydearest
01-02-2008, 09:35 PM

I had a nice chat with my dh and asked him how long he wants me to live... 2yrs, 5, 15, 30? And explained that I need his help as much as I need exercise and good foods. He does most of the cooking (he's a cook and he does such a great job of it) but sometimes he thinks he's being kind by making up my plate with potatoes and bread but I explained it isn't helpful to me and my health. I think he finally understands the consequences of being so overweight. My biological mother was diabetic so there is a very good chance of me becoming diabetic with all the extra weight.

I am very happy with this challenge and all the encouragement from y'all.

I have had two very good days with exercise and food. My first goal is 12 lbs. by Feb 1. Any pound lost is free to stay lost forever!:lol:

Mary

Jaxhil
01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Everyone is so inspiring already :hug:

LHFmom-thanks so much for posting more about your weightloss so far-I'm glad to hear you aren't starving yourself anymore!! And more power to you on your goal to run a marathon (that will be an amazing acheivement!!).

KPGurl, I feel like I could have written the list you wrote myself :teehee:
I agree with all your goals. I feel the same way about not eliminating food groups or any thing, rather, chose whole foods-unprocessed, real food, including lots more veggies and fruits,the vast majority of the time but allowing for that piece of cake or soda at the movies-but let those be the exceptions, not the rule! You put everything so well. I think I'm going to print out your list and read it for inspiration! :mrgreen:

Well, I did well today-met my goals, except my veggies I was planning with supper had an accident on the way to the plates-I dropped the WHOLE pan of them in the sink accidentally :doh: Unbelieveable! Oh well. I also managed to get my cardio in this morning; I did an hour on my stationary bike, and I am getting up now to do my shortish weight training "circuit". Takes about 30 -40 min depending on how energetic I feel, lol.

SO here I go!! :passedout: (me at the end of my workout, :teehee:)

gargoylelib
01-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Thanks everybody for the great ideas and websites to help along with all this! Just wanted to post a little progress report for myself. I spoiled myself yesterday in the post holiday sales and bought some
little snack plates that are covered in pictures of bon-bons and chocolates. I figured if I can't eat those things anymore I can still
have them "on my plate" :roflhard: hehe.... Another thing I discovered is that when learning a new knitting technique I must be burning extra calories because I am forcing myself to learn stranded colorwork using
both hands (I've always knit continental so the english style is alot of
work) and by the time I was finsihed with my knitting session last night I was sweating bullets! hahaha....good thing is I'm just use practice yarn as I know the fo is nothing more than a giant swatch so not like I will be gifting someone a sweaty knitted gift! hehehe.....

Anyway, my goals are as follows:

1. Lose 20 pounds for this first round hopefully at a rate of 2 pounds a week. (seems slow but that is what I did last year and even after I completely stopped being careful and just went wild again I never gained a single pound back so seems to work for me!)

2. Get in some exercise! I need help with ideas for this one because I can't afford a gym and while I usually get out and walk everywhere with my dd (don't have a car) the weather this time of year here makes it hard for me to get out with her and stay for very long. Any ideas??

3. Learn stranded colorwork even if it kills me!! <---I already told dh that means putting a fair isle motif on my tombstone :)

4. Knit an adult sized garment for myself...I've only ever knit toddler sized clothes.

I'm sure some more goals will pop up as I go along! I'll do my first weigh in on this coming Monday and post it to the group because once it's in black and white and in front of witnesses there is no going back!! hehe...

Libbie :)

HamaLee
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Ok, I know there will be a lot of redundant posts in the beginning but I'm holding myself responsible here!

I've set up my SparkPeople goals:

1. Eat At Least One Salad a day
2. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water a day
3. Walk the dog every day
4. Do yoga every day (even if it's just 15 minutes of an evening relaxer)
5. Eat a high fiber breakfast at least 3 times a week.
That's how I'm starting, realistic. And I'm focusing on my goals beinig things that are added to my life rather than taking things away. I figure if I'm reaching my water drinking goal, then I won't be thirsty for the soda...and if I'm reaching or surpassing my salad goals then I won't be hungry for extra bread, snacks, etc. So my hope is that by fulfilling my added goals I'll naturally be "restricting" myself in other ways but I won't feel...I dunno, penalized or like I'm "dieting." Let's see how that psychology works!

Ok so anyway, I've met all 5 goals for the past 2 days. Yay!:cheering: Regularly walking the dog is showcasing one of the more annoying traits of American infrastructure. We are not, for the most part, set up for pedestrians and it drives me nuts. Between snow, lack of sidewalks and lack of streetlights in my area I'm going to end up having to DRIVE somewhere to go take a WALK and that makes me insane! :!!!: grrr, what a waste of time and gas. And I live in a well populated Boston suburb too; it's not like I'm out in the boondocks.

Anyway, that's my rant for the morning. I still plan on getting out for the walks though! And this morning I've already had a high fiber breakfast and 2 glasses of water.

JamOKnit
01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hamalee, sounds like a great list of goals, and extremely reasonable too. It's much easier to get started, I think, when the goals start small and you can feel some sense of accomplishment.
So, Day 1....no knitting yesterday, but I did drink 60 oz. of water, and went to Jazzercise for an hour (phew, that kicked my butt after two weeks of skipping it!!!) and had my dinner on a small cake plate rather than a large dinner plate. Still had one cookie, but ONLY one! :)

DQ
01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Weigh in...

Weight: -1 lb
Project/Progress: finished my first pair of socks!
Non-Scale Victories This Week: Managed to get a resonable amount of exercise in.

I'm so surprised and pleased that I lost a lb! I have had a couple of big meals this week and more puddings than I normally would allow myself due to it being new years. My goal was only to make sure I didn't put on any!

aprildavis99
01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm starting off good. I have gotten back into drinking at least 48oz of water a day. I want to soon up that to 64oz.
I haven't started walking too much yet. I just can't seem to get motivated. Maybe I should see a hypnotist. LOL:shock:
I have been good at eating smaller portions and also I haven't eaten out this past week. :woot: I also have been using the smaller plates to make it seem like more food. Seems to work.
I did finish a baby blanket I was crocheting. I only need to tuck in the ends. :star: I have started a pair of socks for DH. Between knitting and reading several different "how to make socks" books, I have not had a craving for "bad" snacks. My DH actually has to pull me off the needles and force a handful of baby carrots at me.:aww: I guess I'd better be careful and not unintentionally starve myself.....yeah right...like that's going to happen!!!:chair:

HamaLee
01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
I've hit all my goals this week, woo! And I've made some knitting time each day a priority...my Lucy Bag is trucking right along.

I think I'm probably still eating too many calories, but right now I just want to focus on making them useful calories and NO FAST FOOD! I've been tracking my food on SparkPeople, but I'm having trouble coming up with a good calorie estimate of my lunchtime salad. Hmmm...it's tough cuz it's a salad bar.

Just a few days back into regular exercise and I'm soooo much happier (but tired!). I've gotta say it's disheartening to realize just how out of shape I am when I try to get into yoga positions. I'm nowhere NEAR where I used to be. It'll come back though.

I've also inadvertantly gone vegetarian, only because vegetables are easier to cook than meat! I still get plenty of protein, but I may need to keep an eye on iron consumption.

I'm trying to change my shopping/cooking habits too. I'm trying to buy food for only 2 dinners at a time and go shopping almost every day...breakfast/snack foods I can still buy more than a week's worth (bulk oat groats, cheese sticks, nuts, etc) but I have this bad habit of loading up on veggies and then letting them rot :sad:

So here's what I've done the past day or two and I hope to continue: I get home from work and walk the dog and maybe have a small snack. Then I go out to the grocery store for dinner. I stay in the produce section and just look around for a few vegetables that seem like they'd hit the spot...something to roast or stir-fry, for example. And I buy just one (or two) of each. On top of that I make sure I have a head of romaine in the house and a cucumber, a pepper, a tomato. So then I get home and cut up the veggies to start them roasting or whatever, get my grain on the stove, and then I sit down to have a nice big bowl of romaine lettuce/cuke/pepper. Then dinner's ready and I end up with leftovers...so on lazy days or weekends when I don't want to shop I've still got good cooked meals at home.

It's working well so far and I'm sort of learning to cook! Last night I roasted up some butternut squash and asparagus in a little extra virgin olive oil and I ate that with some green lentils cooked in spices. The bulk food section of my supermarket is great--I got nuts, oat groats, lentils, etc that will last a long time for cheap. I'm building up my staples slowly.

psquidy
01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Knitpurlgirl-Format looks good to me. To the rest of you who don't know how to post pics- I DON'T KNOW HOW EITHER!!!! HAhahaha. Maybe we can figure it out together. That'll take our mind of eating.

Holly
01-04-2008, 11:04 AM
HamaLee - can you share some ideas on what and how you cook some of those bulk grains? (i.e. what kind of spices, etc...). I've tried quinoa, and really like that, but I've never really cooked many other grains/beans.

JamOKnit
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Not such a great day yesterday. Had a headache when I left work to go get my hair done, then DH and I went to get dinner at an Italian restaurant. I DID order chicken instead of pasta and ate just the salad and half the chicken, but had one yummy roll too. :shifty: Came home and crashed on the couch, watched some football and went to bed. So no knitting either!
But, I am on a quest to find a great baby hat to make for my friend's little girl (6-8 mos) since her original baby hat I made doesn't fit anymore! Hope to cast on tonight.

HamaLee
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
HamaLee - can you share some ideas on what and how you cook some of those bulk grains? (i.e. what kind of spices, etc...). I've tried quinoa, and really like that, but I've never really cooked many other grains/beans.

To be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing! I've never tried quinoa but it's on my list. I looked in the cabinet and pretty much tossed whatever seemed like a good idea into the pot of lentils...I think I ended up with some garlic powder, onion salt, and then chili powder (I'll put chili powder into ANYTHING!). I would have added cumin or maybe some Indian spices if we had any. I'm not so good with spices and they're so expensive...something to learn though.

There's gotta be some good online resources for cooking up these bulk grains, but I haven't found 'em yet.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-04-2008, 09:09 PM
here's that website i've been using the low carb recipes from...

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/

knitpurlgurl
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
:oops: 'Having a really bad week. I have modified my eating habits this week - but only slightly. I have yet to exercise. I've been so exhausted this week, that I just plop into bed shortly after dinner. I have forced myself to knit MORE. I have really cut out nibbling between meals, but my meals haven't been too terrific. I'm really disappointed in myself this week, but will work on having a better week next week. I will officially weigh in on Monday, but am sure I have not lost any weight this week. Baby Steps..

NYcarrie
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm in on this one. (And buying a digital camera is one of my rewards to myself after I lose 25 lbs.)

I'm 5'10", and I've never been exactly skinny, but between the ages of 18 and 27, I weighed between 160 and 190 lbs, which isn't exactly huge for someone my size and build, either. I was a size 10-14, pretty much. But then when I hit 27, I made some serious (and very emotionally positive) life changes that unfortunately resulted in some very unhealthy physical changes, and I turned 30 years old a few months ago and found myself 240 lbs.

So here I go. Like Holly, I'm a night nibbler. So I pledge to substitute knitting for food at night.

I've also always been a pretty healthy eater. I became a vegetarian several years ago and just kind of naturally drifted away from processed foods. BUT. I eat too much. So my New Year's Resolutions are:

1. No bread
2. No refined sugar

These two things have been my diet downfalls, and I just need not to eat them any more. I'm not low-carbing, exactly. Just getting rid of plain old bread, which has a lot of calories, few nutritional benefits, and is way too easy to eat too much of.

For those of you looking for ways to stave off hunger: my diet savior has been egg white omlets. An egg white only has 16 calories, so on days when I just want to eat a TON of food, I make and ENORMOUS omlet with peppers, onions, and spinach and a little bit of olive oil. It's extremely filling, has a lot of protein, and is only about 250 calories. I have overeating tendencies, so it's good for me to have one dish that I can eat until I'm stuffed without racking up too many calories.

I'm so glad someone started this thread! I've been knitting scarves for the past 3 years because I've never wanted to knit anything "nice" for myself in the size I am now because it would be like accepting that this weight gain has been permanent. So several of my planned rewards for myself have been yarn to knit myself things in a size I don't mind wearing!

Spikey
01-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Right there with you, knitpurlgurl. I was so excited about getting back on track with the help of this group but I had such a crappy week! So busy at work that I had no time to eat and ate next to nothing during the days. Thankfully had some South Beach meal bars in my desk, but I'd come home so hypoglycemic and shaky that I'd reach for the first thing I could cram in my mouth. Totally sucked.

DH usually cooks dinner, but he's been sick all week. Stopped at Boston Market last night and did get some veggie sides, but only ate the stuffing, red potato, and cornbread when I got home...so much for being low carb. And we have our big office party tonight...ugh. Not really looking forward to weighing in on Monday.

On the positive side (so as not to be just bi***ing here), I did get a good head start on the mittens I've decided to knit for my Dad's birthday next weekend. I'm using stashed yarn, and modifying a pattern I'd already bought, so no $$ spent. It's been so cold here that I have gotten a bit of a workout every morning, scraping the car windows, and taking out all of the trash and recycling since DH has been sick. It doesn't sound like much, but we have loads of recycling and a very long driveway so I did manage to work up a sweat after all those trips. Every little bit helps, right?

Plantgoddess+
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm in also. I lost 20 lbs by getting out with a girlfriend twice a week in the summer and bike riding or hiking long enough to burn 1500 calories each time. Unfortunately she moved away and life is busier anyway. I'm managing to maintain by using my dogs as personal trainers. Fortunately I live in a rural area and have over 40 acres of hillside so I have 1 1/2 mile loop I walk every day with the dogs, rain, shine, snow, etc. I have snow shoes for winter and I use ski poles year round to work upper body. I love to eat though and can't exercise enough to make up for calories consumed. I need to lose 30 more lbs to be at my ideal weight and hope this will help. I gave up M&M's which were my worst demon and trying to substitute apples.
I'm starting at 160 lbs. and want to get within spitting range of 130. I'm also fighting menopause and joint problems and hope both will improve with weight loss.

JamOKnit
01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Yesterday was an OK day for me. I went out for lunch with some friends but before we went, I did a little internet searching to see what I should order at a Mexican restaurant...so instead of my usual fried chimichangas with cheese and sour cream and guacamole, I had chicken fajitas and salsa, no sides. Drank 60 oz. of water yesterday too.
This morning I did an hour of Jazzercise and just now, when I got the snackies during the first half of watching the football game, I had a few cups of light popcorn rather than the chips and cheese I really wanted. :) Off to cook a low-carb shrimp scampi dinner.
Oh, and I still haven't knit anything this week. But there's another game after this one, so I've got everything in front of me for making a baby hat.
Glad to have everyone in the same boat, cheering each other on!

HamaLee
01-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Everyone!
I kow it's only a week, but I'm proud of myself. I've hit every goal, every day this week. I'm tired, but I feel good. I'm HUNGRY too, but it's ok. For this first month while I make this a permanent habit, I think it's goig to be really important to continue my current mindset of ADDING things to myself instead of taking AWAY. Once I get over the first hump it'll be easier for me to specifically limit things. My first official weigh in will be on January 28th (when I go to the doctor's for a shot). My last visit was the end of November, so I"ll use that as my starting weight.
Here's to positive changes, good days, and bad! Oh and I've made time for knitting every day. Hooray!

Debkcs
01-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Hello! Finally cleared by my doc, I can start to do some very gentle exercises and make some changes in my diet. A few of my friends are using Alli with great results, so I'm going to do that also. They said that the side effects are not as gruesome as I'd heard. I need to lose 31 pounds, but more, I need to get some muscle tone back and build up the areas where I've had surgeries. This should be fun in a way, I'll have two support groups. Keeping my hands busy has always been a good way to keep them from filling my mouth, so more :knitting: is in order.

aprildavis99
01-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, I have been doing good portion-wise and ok on the exercise. I even got out and walked 1 hour yesterday. Drinking water regularly. :heart: But...
I worked until 2 am last night and I couldn't go straight to sleep. So I decided to read, then I felt hungry. So I ate 2 big bowls of cereal and bananas! Granted it was whole grain wheat flakes and 1% milk, but it was so much. And of course after I was done I went straight to bed. I woke up this morning gassy, bloated and had awful indigestion. :pout: Well duh!!! I should know not to eat that much then go to bed. Ugh!! I feel terrible. I am on my way to church and I can feel the fiber from the cereal threatening to do it's job. Oh I hope it happens before I leave the house. I don't want to be in church wondering when I'm going to explode. :shock: So I'm kicking myself right now.
No more right-before-bed snacking!!!!!:!!!:

Jaxhil
01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, it really sounds like everyone is doing well for the most part!! Congrats, HamaLee! I love the notion of adding things instead of taking away-sneaky :teehee: but effective! :thumbsup:

And even if we haven't done so well, its ok because we want to make a change for life-and we can start fresh every moment of EVERY day.

I am really happy to report I've done well the past few weeks, especially at making excercise a habit. Last week I did 4 weight training/circuit workouts and at least 2 hours on my stationary bike-and I need to hop on today at some point and do some more. Plus I'm due for a weight training session too.

I weighed in today too-I started at 175.6 the last time I weighed, which was probably 3-4 weeks ago, and today I weighed in at 172.2 :woohoo::happydance:

That is the first *loss* I've seen in probably a year :woot:

I am very excited, even though its small, its going in the right direction for a change!!! YAH!!!!

I am trying to concentrate on changing my habits rather than focusing on my results. I find if I focus only on my results I give up way to easily, as the results NEVER come as fast as I think they should! My goals are to do the things I know I need to :

1: Drink water!! Luckily, I actually like water! Soda only occassionally on weekends.

2: Exercise; 4-6 days a week for at least 30 min, preferably 45min.

3: Avoid snacking, except on weekends, and again, only occassionally!

4: No obvious sweets during the week-yogurt, fruits, teeny bit of honey in tea is ok.

5: Add healthy choices to all meals-either fruits, salads, nuts, spinach, beans, etc.

6: to learn to ENJOY these healthier choices, and to set a better example to my children.

and # 7, most important, to leave the results to God :pray: through Him we can do all things :mrgreen:

I hope everyone is having a GREAT day!

DQ
01-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I weighed in today too-I started at 175.6 the last time I weighed, which was probably 3-4 weeks ago, and today I weighed in at 172.2 :woohoo::happydance:

That is the first *loss* I've seen in probably a year :woot:

Well done!! :woot: I like your goals, I'm trying to do similar ones to yours :)

I've not really exercised this weekend, I have been feeling a bit under the weather but I think I'll be ok to do some tomorrow.

PamJ
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Knitpurlgurl, I feel the same! I did exercise and drink water this week, but I sure haven't cut down my food enough to make me want to weigh in tomorrow. We will keep trying!!!

Liliyarn
01-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Congrats to everyone meeting their goals!
My weigh in has 0 pounds lost this week. That's not my focus anyway. I didn't get in knitting, but instead I did lots of spinning. I'm over halfway through 10 ounces of wool.
I've meet my daily goals of , 8 servings of water, 30 minutes min of work outs, eat breakfast. stay in calorie range.
Listing my work outs for the week.
Goal = 1000 minutes
Total minutes = 240
Minutes left until goal = 760
Dec 2007 Minutes = 1085 (try to beat)
01/01 - strength training at home 4 exercises (20 minutes)
01/02 - 20 mins treadmill, 15 mins elliptical, 30 mins treadmill
01/03 - 30 mins treadmill,15 mins elliptical, 30 mins treadmill, 9 strength exercises
01/04 - 25 mins treadmill, 10 mins ellip, 30 mins treadmill
01/05 - off
01/06 60 mins treadmill core strength training

Lisa1216
01-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Progress so far:
Weight: 0 lbs
Project/Progress: finished my daughter's socks, worked on a baby afghan for co-worker (she's due in April), started small project for my swappee in the New Year 2008 swap.
Non-Scale Victories This Week:I really increased my water intake per day this past week. Added at least one piece of fresh fruit a day (I was eating none!) I only walked on the treadmill twice last week, so my goal for this week is to increase walking to at least 4 days.
Congrats to everyone for making some positive changes!! Way to go!

NYcarrie
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Congrats to everyone who made a positive change in her life this past week!

Lilyarn, how do you like the vintage velvet scarf? That's been on my list to make forever, once I get finished with this darn scarf I've that's been a UFO for over a year.... but which this challenge is going to help me finish!

I don't have a scale, so I don't know how much I've lost, but I've finally gotten over the "hungry all the time" feeling that I always get when I transition from eating way too much into eating a normal, healthy amount, so that is good. And I feel pretty great, too. I met my specific goals for the week:

1. Knitting at least 15 minutes a day. I make myself do 15 minutes because usually when the 15 minutes are up, I'm enjoying what I'm doing so much that I do more. But making myself commit to the 15 minutes has always been the challenge for me. I've made good progress on the scarf I've been working on for about a year now. I have faith it will actually get done this month. Finally.
2. No bread
3. No sweets

This week I hope to add in exercise. I live in a city and don't own a car, so I get a fair amount of exercise just by living my daily life, so I'm not totally concerned if I don't make it to the gym all the time, but I would like to start going to the gym this week.

Spikey
01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Progress so far:
Weight: +(can't admit) lbs. It was a bad week...
Project/Progress: Finished one of the stash-busting mittens for my Dad's birthday this weekend. Casting on for the other tonight.
Non-Scale Victories This Week: Finished a chapter I've been putting off. Huge weight off my shoulders.

Was hoping for a better start to the week, but someone I've been mentoring just gave me a little holiday gift of six Godiva chocolate bars! :zombie: Can't bring them home because DH doesn't need to be eating them either...

primaknittermom
01-07-2008, 12:42 PM
edited

Holly
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
POUNDS LOST: 0 -- Stayed the same over the two weeks between Xmas and New Years, so am feeling very positive about that!
UFO PROGRESS: Managed to work on the Slytherin scarf every day , but didn't really track progress.
NON SCALE VICTORIES: My workout partner returned from vacation, and we got back on track Thursday with a pretty tough workout video :-)
This is turning out to be a very inspiring group for me! I've had a so-so week as far as food goes. I've also had the "didn't eat enough at work go home with the hypoglycemic shakes " problem that has caused me to go into an eating frenzy. I'm combating that this week by adding protein to my lunch. I grilled some chicken this AM, and brought ckn on a bed of quinoa (that I made in a big batch so I can bring throughout the week) & leftover roasted vegis from last night's dinner for my lunch today.
I'm currently struggling with the guilt of putting aside time for me to get to the gym. (I meet my walking partner on Tue and Thur, and I need to get myself busy on the other days.). I'd like to go to the YMCA right after work (3ish), but my DS (who is in 6th grade) is not keen on staying home alone for any length of time. If I wait until DH gets home, it's harder to make myself go to the gym (just before dinner or in the early evening). It is easier to workout at home, but I don't have a treadmill, and I'd really like to train for a 5K race. I need to make a decision, because I'm tired of paying for a gym we barely use :wall:
Holly

JamOKnit
01-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Yesterday was a good day. I finished about 3/4 of the baby hat from my stashbuster list, even though I had to stop every 15 minutes or so to detangle the yarn. Darn those center pull skeins!
I don't have a scale so I can't weigh myself, but foodwise, I did good yesterday too, considering I spent the day watching football! The munchies didn't really hit since I had a good fulfilling lunch (love the Progresso soups at 100 cals per serving!) and for a snack instead of chips I had an apple with low-fat caramel. Yum!
No exercise yesterday but I did drink lots of water and I'm up to 40 oz. so far today! Jazzercise tonight.

psquidy
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Okay so i said i'd wiegh in on Mondays but i actually forgot to weigh myself initially so today is my official weigh in
Weight 162 lbs! OH MY !
OTN: ANOTHER pair of thrummed mitts
I've given up bread and cheese (aaaaaa i miss it!) and i've also given up drinking wine thru the week which i'm ashamed to say had become a problem all its own. I can't imagine the amount of empty calories consumed in a bottle of wine alone (a bottle a night was pretty common for me ) I think this KAL is really going to help guys! We can do it!

psquidy
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm currently struggling with the guilt of putting aside time for me to get to the gym.

HOLLY! I have the same problem. I know it sounds silly but for me it's my little pug dog. I know she stays home all day by herself and she's lonely and waiting for me by the door and i just feel like i have to rush home and let her out and play with her or im not being fair. But i mean health is more important right? I know it is but i just FEEL so bad! What can we do?!

HollyP
01-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Hi! I've just read through this whole post and am very inspired by all of you!
I am starting WW tomorrow. I have a little over 100 pounds to lose. My personal goal is 110 pounds gone.( I hate the word lost in connection with weight because normally when you lose something you eventually find it and I am determined to get rid of this weight forever) I also have so many ufos that I just need to finish. I hope it's all right if I join in.
Right now I am starting a new semester so things are a little wonky but I have decided that I need to do this for me. I am so afraid of what will happen if I don't lose the weight! I belong to the Y and was really good about going before the holidays. I need to get back into the habit of going. I am a big night time nibbler too. The knitting instead of nibbling will definitely help move things in the right direction on the scale and in my life.

Thanks KPG for starting this!

Piratedogmama
01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Hello there all!Progress so far:
Weight: -3 pounds!!:woot:
Project/Progress: Working on DD's hybrid knit and crochet wool longie pants, well into the body of the pants now, doing my short rows and making up the pattern as I go along...so far....so good.
Non-Scale Victories This Week: Finished reading "Water for Elephants", started reading "Kiterunner" and went to see the "Kiterunner"movie without having any goodies while in the theater! Also, I worked out three times last week!

Here's to another good week and next week I better be done with at least one of the legs!

psquidy....how bout taking the pug for a walk? I have been trying to do that with my furbabies (we have 4 dogs) some but is is cold sometimes it is just hard not to mention it gets dark so early right now-come on spring! Sometimes we play "tag" in the house though...gets kind of crazy but we all have fun. One of the dogs will even "exercise" with me when I put in a DVD. I will be moving around and she will jump up and move forward and back, it makes it all go more quickly and she thinks it is a fun game.

Have a great week everyone and thanks for the support!

mommydearest
01-08-2008, 08:04 AM
We've been unfortunate friends for far too long but I'm not sad to say goodbye to these ugly pounds...

Weight: -5 lbs :cheering:

Project/Progress: Sock No.1 for ds but it's too big for him (it fits me though:teehee: ) It doesn't look the greatest but I still think I'll finish it and do the 2nd. Did a swatch to felt - Very Cool how that works so now I'm doing a felted needle holder pattern from Lion Brand.

Non-Scale Victories This Week: Exercised like a maniac this past week - 6 days for a total of 7 times (twice in one day) I'm going along with the Biggest Loser workouts (cardio M,T,W,F,Sat - burn min 205 cal. and core M,W,F). I'm not killing myself, just getting in more cardio and I feel better already. My personal trainer whom I see once a week was impressed with my new attitude.

I've been eating great even when I allowed myself a slice of pizza and a frosted cupcake for ds 10th b-day on Sunday. Felt really good when I didn't want the whole cupcake and through 1/2 away. :woot:

I was thinking about starting my Central Park Hoodie - bought the yarn last week as incentive but I think I will use it as further incentive to lose more weight. I don't want to wear something that fits me now when I lose 50+ lbs. Once I reach -30 I will start a sleeve so I can make adjustments to the actual size while I continue to lose. I'm going to go slow on this project so it will fit my less "full" figure.

I'm so grateful to have you all as additional support and now I finally have my dh's too.

Mary

psquidy
01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Good morning everyone! Unfortunate night last night but it's back on the wagon with all of you today! HAvE A GOoD DAY EVERYONE!

HamaLee
01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
So I have a failure that I'm actually looking at as a success :teehee:

Sunday night I was at a get together for a friend who's back from London for a week or two...I did alright at the restaurant--but then on the ride home I somehow wound up in the Burger King drive thru. How did that happen? My car has a mind of it's own! hehe.

Anyway, I ordered and ate the food. About halfway thru I started feeling gross--like really really disgusting and stopped eating. That's a MAJOR victory for me! It's been a loooooong time since that kind of fast food has made me feel physically ill. Sure I always felt guilty when I ate it, but I was strangely addicted to the mouthfeel and the comfort of this nasty food. Not anymore! After just a week of eating actual, real, whole food that crap actually tasted like crap and made me feel like it too.

So, it was an expensive lesson calorie-wise...but I'm kind of thrilled to have that temptation gone so quickly. I know I still haven't been the greatest with my food/calorie intake, but like I've mentioned I'm starting slow so I can be successful. Even with my exercise. It's hard for me to hold back from going cardio-crazy, but I know I won't be able to keep that up if I do it.

So I'm continuing to hit focus on my daily goals and I've still hit them every day:
1. At least 8-10 glasses water,
2. At least one salad
3. Yoga every day (even just a few minutes)
4. Dog out for a walk (we're extending our time now!)
5. High fiber breakfast (amazing what a difference this makes)

Yay!!!
As far as knitting goes: I didn't knit last night, but I'm already to the straps on the Lucy Bag I started last week. I hope to work on a WIP lap blanket tonight.

I'm enjoying reading this thread, I think we're going to be good motivation for each other!

JamOKnit
01-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Way to GO, Hamalee! :) To realize that you don't even WANT fast food anymore is a major accomplishment! I am also finding that I'd rather choose things like take out sushi or Subway instead of burgers and fries. It's the first step in our total lifestyle change!

Holly
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Megan, my guilt is actually double: I have the same problem with my Golden Retriever!! LOL! On Tue and Thur I walk/jog with a workout partner. Trigger loves going on long walks, and is actually not a bad jogging partner, but he's a pain in the butt when you want to just concentrate on working out (as when I'm with my workout partner). A great solution would be to make a habit of taking him on an AM walk every day in addition to whatever else I'll do for fitness...the big problem with that plan is actually getting out of bed in the morning ;- !! (especially in the cold of winter...brrrr!)
Seriously though, I don't know what to do about my son & the workout problem. If I had two around the same age I could make them go with me and swim/shoot hoops/whatever. Since he is an only child, I'd feel equally bad to drag him to the YMCA to hang out while I workout (or expect him to have fun swimming alone, etc..)

HollyP
01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Holly, My Y has an lots of kids classes and programs after school maybe you could find one he would like. A friend of mine works out at the Y while her daughter is at her basketball practice there .

psquidy
01-08-2008, 03:01 PM
HAMALEE
I agree about the high fiber breakfast. It's rolled oats for me with Flax Seed Oil mixed in.

psquidy
01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Holly
I've thought about that before-the AM dog walks but i just CAN"T seem to manage it. I don't know how you do it with kids and all but i know we can do it! We'll all loose so much we'll make the news!

HamaLee
01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
HAMALEE
I agree about the high fiber breakfast. It's rolled oats for me with Flax Seed Oil mixed in.

Yup I've been eating steel cut oat groats in skim milk, sometimes with a small handful of raisins thrown in. It's a great hot breakfast for winter. I like making them right before I eat if I'm going to eat them on the weekend, but they take foreverrrr to cook up.

Here's how I adjust for weekday mornings:
Before I go to bed at night I set up my coffee maker. Then I measure out 1/4 dry oat groats into a tupperware, pour almost a whole cup of skim milk over them (or sometimes half milk/half water, sometimes less than a cup) and set a loose lid on it. Stick the bowl in the fridge to soak over night. I put the bowl right near my lunch/snacks and in the morning remember (for the most part) to grab everything. When I get to work I pop the oats into the microwave for 2 minutes and voila! Quick cooked *real* whole hot oats for breakfast! :thumbsup:

eta--that's 4 grams of fiber and 6 grams of protein just in the oats!

PamJ
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
You are all such an encouragement. Congrats on all the big changes and lovely projects. I didn't cut down eating enough last week, but I'm working on that this week.
Weight: 0
Projects: finished Tilted Blocks baby blanket, made one crocheted fan bookmark, started Ribs & Ruffles scarf for daughter.
Non-scale victories: walked 16 miles on treadmill and indoor track at city rec center, started drinking more water.
Holly, I hope you can find some classes for your son to take at the Y while you are exercising. Or bring a friend to shoot hoops?? And Megan, from one animal lover to another, maybe an exercise video on working days if it's too cold to walk together??

saracidaltendencies
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
I saw someone asked about a button for this and, if one is still needed, I whipped one up real quick for anyone interested!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/MistressDemonica/kdc.gif

knitpurlgurl
01-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Weighed in yesterday.

Weight loss: -2.5#
NSV: I have been knitting more and nibbling less
Progress: I haven't started exercising yet. I am not eating as well as I should be. I have basically lost water weight. On a positive note: I have set up my blog and knitted alot on my baby blocks blanket and knitted 1/2 of my sexy little scarf.

knitpurlgurl
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Demonica - That's AWESOME! How did you do that?

tgwillis
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
I didn't get to post yesturday, everything was busy with it being our first day back with homeschooling after the Christmas break. I did remember to weigh though.

Progress so far

Weight: I lost a little over a pound.

Project/Progress: I finished a blue and green stripped garter stitch scarf for my middle ds. I started a scarf for my oldest ds. a K2 P2 rib in a pretty brown tweed.

Non-Scale Victories This Week: I learned to pearl this week.:woot: I picked up 2 knitting books (I had been having a hard time deciding which ones to get, with limited funds i didn't want to get a dud)

Goals:
Increase water, and get out to take a walk every day. Keep watching my portions, and knit instead of nibble.
Plan to finish my son's ribbed scarf, and pick a shawl/wrap pattern to start as soon as I am done. I have a really pretty steel gray alpaca yarn my dh got me for Christmas. Hope everyone has a good week.

Blessings

saracidaltendencies
01-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Demonica - That's AWESOME! How did you do that?

Thank you! I made it in Paint Shop....Found a pic on Google of a bag of chips and recreated it so there would be no infringement of any kind...lol...I have a picture tube I made, of knitting needles, and threw 'em in the bag of chips, found a nice looking background in PSP and added some text :)

tgwillis
01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Sorry to sound dumb. What do you do with a button? Is it for linking to a ulr?

saracidaltendencies
01-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Yeah, you can use it for links, or, you can just add it to your sig, minus a link, to show you're participating in something. Like the people who have joined Ravelry on here...Many of them have a small "button" in their signature that reads, "Ravelry." I assume most of them also include links, but, it doesn't have to include a link. Hope that helps!

batregre
01-09-2008, 05:58 AM
I just found this tread and I am SO in! A lil bit o info. I have 2 broken feet. Recovering fine but cannot exercises per dr's orders. Also, 20 days after I broke my feet, I ended up with a pulmonary embolism due to inactivity. So, alot of health issues right now that are preventing me from getting out there and doing much of anything, including driving!!!! Talk about BORED. Therefore, I knit!!!!! I knit about 6 hours a day. That's right, 6 hours a day. You'd think I'd finish a project wouldn't you?? NOT! Too many on the needles to discuss, but it's keeping me occupied. I am not eating though, which is a good thing or I'd be big as a house now. I have 50# to lose. So, I'll knit until doc says I can walk and exercise, then start doing that as well. Good luck to all!

HamaLee
01-09-2008, 09:42 AM
I just found this tread and I am SO in! A lil bit o info. I have 2 broken feet.

Yikes! I'm sorry, but we're happy to have you!!

As far as my update goes: I had another good day yesterday. I got in my yoga and my dog walk, ate a salad, had a high fiber breakfast, drank lots of water, etc. And I made a really yummy chicken curry for dinner last night. Only problem is I think I still smell like coriander and turmeric :teehee: Buying spices can be expensive, but once I buy them I've got them in my cupboard for future adventures.

And here's a major non-scale victory for this morning: Today is free bagels and donuts day at work. The cafeteria is filled with Dunkin Donuts bagels, cream cheese and donuts (and this happens EVERY WEDNESDAY!). Guess what I'm eating? Hot oat groats and an apple! Woo!

It's kind of liberating to realize "Hey, just cuz there's free food there doesn't mean I have to eat it!" :teehee:

Happy Wednesday everyone.

JamOKnit
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Happy Wednesday!
Yesterday was tough. I managed 2 bottles of water and ate a ham sandwich on whole wheat (gotta get those whole grains) for lunch with an apple...no snacking all day long. But hubby had an awful day at work yesterday and so at home we ended up making grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner and not doing any exercise. Will be better today hopefully. No knitting yesterday either. Boo!

HollyP
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Good Morning and happy Wednesday! Batregre that sounds awful but being able to knit six hours a day sounds great.
Way to go Hama! I am not sure I could have been so strong!
Hope today goes better for you Jamoknit. I hate when life gets in the way of our trying to do something good for ourselves!
Yesterday was my first day on WW and I am pretty happy with how it went. I drank a lot of water got all of my fruits and veggies in, and stayed on points. I got quite a bit of knitting in while I watched the Biggest Loser. I was able to complete another 3 inches or so on my brothers never ending scarf. If this keeps up I might actually finish it while it's still cold out! I only have 15 more inches to go. The best part was I normally snack while watching tv but the knitting kept my mind off of food. I really need to get back into exercising so I am going to do a workout video this afternoon when I get home from school.

Hope everyone has a great day!:hug:

DQ
01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Batregre you poor thing! :hug:

I had a bad day yesterday food and exercise wise but I've been very good today so far (apart from one little chocolate). I've found a programme on Sky Sports called 'Aerobics Oz Style' so I recorded a couple and tried them out. They're quite good! Nice to have another thing to add in to my exercise choices.

:hug: everyone!

Liliyarn
01-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Yesterday I chose the right foods, I just indulged in them a bit too much. Other than that I did great. Got in a good mile walk and met all my other daily goals.
Today is also off to great start. I'm about to do an hour of walking/jogging.

I have a premontion that the scale will not budge again this week. Phooey on it. I'm still gonna win. I am definitely enjoying this new healthier life style and finally squeezing in some work outs despite my work hours.

HamaLee
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Hooray to Lilliyarn and everyone else! I'm feeling good about my changes too, thus far. It's tough to get 25-35 grams of fiber in ever day! That's been an entertaining challenge for me and I'm discovering new foods.

I need to remember to take my measurements so I can track those, and I may pick up a scale after work on Friday so I can have one consistent device that tracks my weight.

Lisa1216
01-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Great job everyone on all of the healthy changes!! I've done well the past few days with my water intake and trying to choose more fruits and veggies. (I even had broccoli in my scrambled eggs yesterday morning...I thought my DH was going to :ick: ) Today I chose applesauce over the french fries at lunch, and ate the tomato on my sandwich instead of picking it off, and I hate tomatos! Tonight I have a date with the treadmill.

Knitting wise~I'm almost done with my swap partner's project and I knit for 20 min on the baby afghan. Once the partner gift is done, I'll finish up my DD's socks.

Congrats to everyone for keeping at it and making the small changes!

scout52
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I just want to congratulation and encourage you all for doing a great job.

I had gained weight when i went on a month and a half business trip. Eating out for 3 meals a day can do that. its amazing how fast it goes on and how long it takes to take it off. i did budokon to take it off. its yoga and martial arts put together. so you get the flexibilty of yoga with the cardio burning of martial arts.

http://www.amazon.com/Cameron-Shayne-Budokon-Beginners/dp/B00068RZ18/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1199908142&sr=1-1

I did and still do 1500 calories a day with no more than 15 grams a fat a day. I eat whatever I want as long as i don't go over the calories or fat grams. I could never give up bread or chocolate cake. if i want cake i just make sure i don't eat fat elsewhere.

I usually have oatmeal for breakfast, and a lean cuisine for lunch (its just easier at work (they order lunches for us here from 5 different restaurants including my favorite chinese food place. its just too tempting) and I'll make whatever I want for dinner and have a dessert.

I was able to get back down to my normal weight in about 4 months. Can you believe i put the weight on in a month and a half and it took 4 to come off? I've maintained now for about 1 year.

primaknittermom
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
edited

DQ
01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Ooh, I've been naughty...I had a nice healthy dinner (lots of veggies) but I really wanted something sweet after so I had a bowl of breakfast cereal (honey puffs). I just keep telling myself it's not as bad as having a bowl of ice cream or something :oops:

Mulderknitter
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
OK, I'm in.
DH bought me Dance dance revolution for xmas, super fun, lots of good songs which makes it more fun to play. The darn thing even has a mode for exercise where you enter your weight and how many calories you want to burn and it does the rest! So here goes! At least 1/2 hour 3 times a week. (If I'm having fun keep going!) It's the motivation to do it that kills me.
I also have a bad vice. I drink beer. I have switched to light beer though.
And I eat bad. On Friday's at work we order out. But I did good so far. I have gotten a salad and a sandwich the past 2 fridays, so I am trying. I just hate cooking, so I have to watch that the things I do eat aren't just potato chips and crap. Lean cuisine has helped a lot for my lunches at work. They have really I'm not kidding good food that doesn't leave you hungry. I love their panini grilled sandwiches.
I also have to remember to eat yogurt or a banana for breakfast otherwise I overdo myself at lunch.
Ok. so here goes. I'm 5'2" and 130 today. I have a yucky "muffin top" that I want to get rid of. 10 pounds. That's all.
Too much yarn. Can't stop buying yarn. must knit things with the yarn I have.
Here is the plan:
Body:DDR 3 times a week at least. Cut back on beer, even if it is light :( Eat better lunches at work and don't eat a bag of potato chips for dinner (don't laugh-easier said than done) Do not drink soda!!!!!!! (If I get weak only 1 a week)
Yarn: make the socks I have been promising DH for years now. I have the needles and the yarn. :roflhard:
Ok. that's all I can commit to. Even that is a lot. So if I slip, don't hurt me.:pout:

knitpurlgurl
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Hamalee-

What a GREAT NSV!! It's those NSVs that get us to our goals! :woot:

HamaLee
01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone, hope you're all doing well!
I'm happy to be hanging in there, eating lots of high fiber foods. I'm still *ahem* adjusting to the fiber content and I still feel hungry a lot of the time. I'm hoping that subsides some...anybody have any tips for the always hungry feeling? Everyone always says how high fiber foods keep you feeling full, but I don't find that the case quite yet...

I'd also to know how you all deal with the 3pm hungry-snackies. I totally crash around that time and just get ravenous and nothing seems to tide me over, I want a full-on meal and obviously can't quite get that on the car ride home (this was my major fast food failing). I usually finish up my carried to work snacks--baby carrots or high fiber cereal, by around 3 or 330 and still feel starving when I leave work (usually right around 4). I've got a bag of nuts stashed in my glove compartment to eat while I drive...it helps to have the hand-to-mouth motion to distract me enough so I don't pull through a drive thru, but it really does nothing for the hungry.

This is a perplexing problem for me, and has been one for a long time. I just don't know how to solve it...it will feel like a huge accomplishment if I ever do. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Oh I keep forgetting to mention my knitterly pursuits:
*I'm working the tedious strap of my Lucy bag
*my lap blanket has be staring, forlorn, from the bottom of my bag. I must get back to that.
*I left my knitting at a friend's house the other night so last night I cast on a fun hat for an upcoming ski trip!

knitpurlgurl
01-10-2008, 04:56 PM
'Had a bad day. Ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I feel so awful. :( Tomorrow's another day.

Sunshine's Mom
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm in too! I don't need to lose a lot of weight, but I'd like to lose 15 pounds. I love going home after work and dinner and sitting down to an evening of knitting. But, now....no knitting until I walk the dog first!! Since I'm not a big snacker I must move!!!!

Lisa1216
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
'Had a bad day. Ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's. I feel so awful. :( Tomorrow's another day.

:hug: You're right...tomorrow's another day. Sorry about the bad day. Hope you have a better one tomorrow. Hang in there!

Mulderknitter
01-10-2008, 05:30 PM
No DDR for me today because the living room is torn up from painting the walls. So instead I painted a wall. Only took 15 minutes, but I broke a sweat, so I feel ok about it.
Off to hit the Tivo and the sock!

DQ
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM

I had a bad day too so don't feel so bad you're not the only one! :hug::hug::hug:

NYcarrie
01-10-2008, 06:40 PM
HamaLee, I know they say high fiber foods keep you full, but honestly, what works best for me is protein. A cup of high-fiber cereal fills me up longer than a piece of white toast, but protein fills me up more than both.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but eggwhite omlets are my lifesaver. There's 16 calories in an egg white. You can eat 6 of them and still be under 100 calories!! I buy eggwhites by the quart--they sell them just alone, yolks already removed. Sometimes I'll make myself one right when I get home from work, before dinner, just to take the edge off and to keep me from overeating at dinner.

I'd watch out for snacking on the nuts. I was a vegetarian for several years and became a great lover of nuts during that time. Then two years ago, I bought myself a food scale, and oh my gosh, 1 serving of nuts (200 calories) turned out to be, like, 20 nuts or something. It really is something ridiculous like 10 calories per nut. And I'm sure I would eat 50 just as a "snack."

I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but I used to solve my fast food drive through temptations by not carrying any cash with me in the car. I kept some locked in my desk at work, and I kept some at home, so I'd have some in each place, but I wouldn't have any in my wallet as I was driving around. I bought gas (and anything else I legitimately needed to pick up at the store on the way home from work) with my credit card. No cash = no fast food.

Good luck!

Spikey
01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
I agree with NYcarrie. Nothing fills me up like protein. I freely admit my low carb bias.

In one of the Atkins books they use the example of eating a whole loaf of bread vs eating a whole meatloaf. I'll admit it, I could eat a whole loaf of bread, or a whole pan of banana bread :mmm:, but there's no way I could eat a whole meatloaf! :ick:

As far as snacking suggestions, cheese cubes or sticks of string cheese are really filling, especially with a handful of nuts to satisfy the need for something crunchy. :biting:

Of course, this won't work for those trying to follow a low fat lifestyle, so how about a nonfat yogurt as an afternoon snack? They are pretty filling, and as a bonus give you good protein, and some calcium and vitamin D. The new "active ones" even have fiber, which makes them even more filling. The downside is the need for refrigeration, but a thermal bag with an ice pack should keep it pretty cool all day, if a fridge isn't available.

:psst: Also, we should all be remembering to take vitamin and mineral supplementation if our diets are not very well balanced (mine sure isn't), also calcium (for all ages) and folic acid (for those of child-bearing age).

HamaLee
01-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still getting plenty of protein and I do use cheese sticks, etc as snacks....but they don't fill me up either. I really think a BIG part of it is time of day. I think there's a mental block going on that's telling me "4 oclock--stuff your face!", cuz snacks that DO satisfy me in the morning? Same snack is like eating air in the afternoon.

I'm just gonna stick with it and hope that after a few weeks the hunger subsides. Thanks for the suggestions--I'll definitely use 'em! And I hear you about nuts--but they're there and I do make sure that I never eat more than 10 at a time (and only eat them once on the ride home).

I looooove egg white omelets stuffed with veggies, or with some salsa on the top. And you're right NYCarrie they ARE filling! But I just don't have egg whites in the house right now and with the stocking up and the "new" cooking...it just hasn't been on my to-do list yet. I'm sure it will be soon.

Today was not as bad...and I had a serving of high fiber cereal in a baggie for the car ride home; it helped. I had leftover lentils and quinoa with some scallops/asparagus for dinner, yum! I've been snacking on baby carrots and cucumbers and green peppers. I've also been indulging in one square of ghiradelli 70% dark chocolate when necessary :mrgreen: .

According to SparkPeople I had 50 grams of fiber today! And that was without really trying (though I do question the validity of the calculator). I've been hovering around 1500 calories a day--which seems reasonable. Not great for losing weight but certainly significantly lower than "usual." I also assume that I actually ate a couple hundred more calories than the SparkPeople calculator says I did...too account for portion inaccuracies or forgetting an ingredient.

I've replaced the salad dressing my daily salad with 2 tbsp hummus or cottage cheese (depending on what's available) and that is saving me a LOT of calories and fat! I find throwing some garlic paste or ginger chutney and chili powder into just about everything I cook for dinner helps me feel full longer as well (and my breath smells yummmmmy:teehee: )

Next week I think I'll be ready to get some "real" exercise...the past two weeks I've gotten out for a walk with the dog every day, but it's usually a 2 mile stroll. I think I'll start walking faster and longer soon. And I'll also start doing the more cardiovascular yoga routines and adding some very basic weight training a couple times a week.

I'm content for now. :cool: And I think I will pick up a scale tomorrow. Now I'm off to knit (INSTEAD of munching!)

HamaLee
01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I'll admit it, I could eat a whole loaf of bread, or a whole pan of banana bread :mmm:, but there's no way I could eat a whole meatloaf! :ick: .
Oh man--I could do a loaf of either!! Heheeh, I never said I wasn't a glutton:teehee: .

I did also want to mention that my desire to keep with whole, natural foods is going well and I feel better just with that alone. No HFCS, no syrups, artificial sweetners, etc...just whole, real food. That's part of why I stay away from many of the packaged "diet" yogurts and things--they often replace the fat/calories with sugar, chemicals, HFCS, and things like that. So when I choose a yogurt, cheese, packaged thing I read through the ingredient list and toss it back if it has anything like that in it.

I'd rather enjoy a natural yogurt with some of the fat left and be satisfied, than eat a "lite" yogurt with crap my body doesn't need and still feel "cheated."

Spikey
01-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I'd rather enjoy a natural yogurt with some of the fat left and be satisfied, than eat a "lite" yogurt with crap my body doesn't need and still feel "cheated."

Good for you! (literally and figuratively) :cheering:

I used to live on diet coke and low fat stuff, but it is just all chemicals and can't possibly be without harmful long term effects, IMHO.

We try to go with organic dairy and produce, and grow many of our own herbs, but it is a challenge. Doesn't it always seem like it is easier to buy crap? The convenience stores around here have gotten a bit better with their options, but it can still be so hard to find something nutritious for lunch at work. In theory, I should be able to pack a lunch, but in practice I just can't make it work.

Liliyarn
01-11-2008, 04:28 AM
Hama - Beef Jerky fills me right up. 1-2 ounces and I'm good to go for a while. Not high fiber, but it is low fat and is portable. Fruit is also an option. Not a banana though. A pear or apple. Something really solid and I have to chew a lot. Nothing like grapes or berries.

Speaking of calories and counting. I usually hover around 1200-1400 per day. I'm trying to increase my calroies with healthy food mind you...and I ate the entire day was absolutely stuffed and only hit 1500 something. Ugh....So much for increasing my calroies to help fuel my body. My recommended calroies for a day are over 2000! No way I can do that with out sugar, chocolate, or fast food. Not even gonna try. So, I'll just do what I can to keep it around 1500.

mommydearest
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Fiber One Bars are good, filling and of course very portable. 9 gm of fiber, 140 cal per bar. I work in a restaurant and can't eat my lunch until 3pm so I always have one in my purse when and if I feel extremely hungry or feeling like my blood sugar is low. Clementines (like mandarin oranges) are in season in Florida and I keep one in my purse as well. They're easy to peel and eat.

You could also try some of the 100 cal packs. The 100 cal Oreo's are good and have been known to satisfy my sweet tooth without overdoing it.

Hope this helps.

Mary

HamaLee
01-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone! I think finding a good bar to have around for emergencies might be a good idea...I'll have to test some out. I like Luna Bars, and Kashi GoLean Crunch bars, and Lara Bars...maybe I'll check out ingredient lists and stock up.

I had a Non Scale Victory today--I'm at work wearing a pair of pants that I haven't worn in months because they're always just a weeee bit too tight in the waist and I hate uncomfortable clothes. Today: they fit! Huzzah! So I have probably lost a pound or two.

I also forgot to set up my oat groats to soak last night. Normally, that would have set the ball rolling for me to say "well, shoot no breakfast...I might as well roll through DD and get a coffee and donut." Which immediately goes to "Well I already blew it, might as well eat pizza for lunch....and french fries for dinner" etc etc etc.

So instead of doing that I threw some dry high fiber cereal in a baggie on my way out the door and I'm eating it here at work instead of one of the monster muffins in the cafeteria. That seems silly and small, but it's a significant change of mind for me! :mrgreen:

JamOKnit
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
The Luna bars are sooo good and really fill me up during that midday "munchie" time. I try only to eat 100 calorie packs if I need something crispy...like today I have the cheese nips to go with my soup. Soup is my new favorite lunch to bring to work... cause the cans of Progresso and Healthy Choice only have like 100 cals per serving and 200 if you eat the whole can (which I usually do). That plus a piece of fruit and maybe carrot sticks or yogurt is a great lunch for me, and so easy to put together in the morning rather than having to run around and assemble sandwiches, etc.

Still on track with my Jazzercise...haven't missed a class yet this year! :)

And last night I finished up the second hat for my friend's baby, and am now ready to cast on for my second-ever pair of socks! (Enjoyed a prosciutto/mozzarella/roasted red pepper panini too, since we were out at a cafe knitting, but a little give and take now and then is ok! Passed up dessert!) :)

Holly
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Great ideas! I'm definately going to look for the carton of egg whites, and an omelot before dinner would be an excellent idea for me.
A couple of snacks I like are FF plain yogurt 1/2 C (I use an organic one they sell at Walmart that includes some fiber) mixed with 1 C frozen fruit (a berry mix is good). I mix together with a little splenda and let sit a bit so that the berries are only semi-frozen. The yogurt gets thick like an ice cream.
Another treat I like is to blend 1 C frozen mixed berries with light vanilla soy milk. Instead of a drinkable smoothie, I add only enough liquid to make it more like a sorbet I eat with a spoon.
I've also been peeling a sweet potato, cutting it into approx 1/4 inch rounds, sprinkling with pepper and baking in a hot oven (425 or 450) until it is crunchy on the outside but soft on the inside. Kind of like chips, but not quite as thin. They are a delicious finger food to have with a cold salad, and baking them with pepper makes them tasty w/out needing butter, brown sugar, etc...
Holly

NYcarrie
01-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Oooh, I'll have to try sweet potatoes with pepper. I like them with taco seasoning!

Mulderknitter
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I have a workout victory already today! We are moving at work and sending a bunch of stuff to storage, so I spent 3 hours boxing and moving 30 - 50 # boxes of files. I am pooped but what a work out! I've had about a gallon of water too, so I'm on a good track for a friday!
I didn't knit much last night, so will do that today after work with the tivo and greys from last night! :yay:

DQ
01-12-2008, 06:58 AM
I've lost another lb this week :woot: I was so sure I wouldn't lose anything because I had a few bad days and less exercise :shock: Oh and I started and finished a hat :mrgreen:

I've been a good girl and done my exercise straight away this morning so now I can relax and be HAPPY today! :woot:

My goal for this week is to try and replace at least 2 glasses of juice a day with water.

jeanius80
01-12-2008, 04:34 PM
so i have only started to make changes this last week (I KNOW!!)

my good feats have been making sure i drink at least 32 ozs of water in addition to my daily drinks. I have also startee eating a generous portion of organic regular oats, with 4 spoonfulls of flax seed added. This has greatly reduced my desire to eat crap!

MaleKnitter
01-13-2008, 05:27 AM
this sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been working on losing weight for a few years now. So far I have lost 45 pounds in 2 years :woohoo: which is a nice even pace to lose weight (maybe a little slow). I am no longer overweight. For my height I am within the appropriate weight spectrum but I would still like to become a bit more noticeable to the girls in my school. Earlier this year some very mean !@#$%!'s made it abundantly clear that I was not as good looking as several students in my class. I guess being polite and a gentleman (i.e. opening doors for ladies and NOT burping and passing gas in public) is no longer appreciated, because none of those "hot" people this particular group of !@#$%!'s mentioned are gentlemen.
So, I would just like to lose a little more weight and perhaps become more fit. I also have a trip coming up soon (I am accompanying my father on a business trip to Florida) and I would like to look nice for a swimsuit.
Luckily, I am at the age where I don't have to make any heroic efforts to lose weight. I just have to cut back on my snacking and work out a little more. so... yeah. I hope to lose a few pounds. That's about it, but it's always nice to lend and get support.

knitpurlgurl
01-13-2008, 07:03 AM
so i have only started to make changes this last week (I KNOW!!)

my good feats have been making sure i drink at least 32 ozs of water in addition to my daily drinks. I have also startee eating a generous portion of organic regular oats, with 4 spoonfulls of flax seed added. This has greatly reduced my desire to eat crap!

Don't feel bad. These last 2 weeks have been lackluster at best for me. I've been contemplating quitting my job to be a SAHM for my Asperger's Syndrome son. And the pressure to tie things up at work as not to leave them hanging; the anxiety over what life will be like with a single income (can we pay all of the bills?); the thought of losing adult contact and stimulus each day; and the pressure to do this quickly because ultimately my son needs me right now and HE comes first... is enough to make me want to eat a chocolate cake DAILY! I haven't. I have modified my eating..some. I have been able to cut the junk food back to a minimum (meaning no more eating out.. I cook now. Who knew?) and to increase my water intake and decrease my snack food intake. Other than that, I have been sorely lacking in my healthy lifestyle efforts. I am going to have DH dust off the treadmill and bring it into the living room (was located in our dank, dark basement). I am also going to sign back up with WW and work a little harder. My family DESERVES a healthier mommy! And I wouldn't mind wearing something that doesn't look like either a giant potato sack or a sausage casing! :eyes:

Holly
01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Great goals everyone! I went to WW Sat AM to find that I GAINED .6 :-z. Ok, no big surprise...I didn't actually follow the program! My awesome workout partner has hit a 15 lb loss since we started to my meager 1. 4. I guess actually following the diet helps!! (there's a goal for me ;-)!! )
WEIGHT GAINED/LOST: GAINED .6 OF A POUND
PROGRESS ON KNITTNG: MADE IT PAST TH 1/2 WAY MARK ON THE SLYTHERIN SCARF
So, seriously, my goal this week is to follow the WW flex plan, and to exercise every day - even if it is just 20 minutes of doing something. I want to establish a daily exercise habit. I think I turn my nose up at a quick walk w/ the dog if I don't have time for a full-out workout, but every little bit will help.
I'm also going to make a point of PLANNING - that old 7 P rule: proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Most of my really off program days were because I didn't have a plan and ended up needing to find a meal or snack on the run.
I'm looking at this week as a fresh beginning. I'm going to my niece's wedding in one week (Sat), and a really good week will help me look and feel my best. It will springboard me to FINALLY achieving my goal of losing a significant amount of weight before another summer is upon me :-)

birdwomn
01-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok, I just found ths thread and think this is the perfect diet for me!
I have been having trouble getting back on track after the holidays and my birthday is tomorrow.
So, I have 50 lbs to lose and probably 50 projects to finish or frog and re-knit.
OTN: Brown mohair mini-skirt for my daughter, secret pocket headband for the gym & beach, tan afghan
In line: socks, another skirt, another afghan, and another, and another (I love afghans!)

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
I just got back from shopping (clothes)....

I'M DOWN TO A SIZE 16/18!!!! I bought a new shirt, size 16/18... it fits but it's a little loose (which is GOOD). I tried on a pair of 22 jeans, they were too big (didn't stay up).... the size 20's i had the same issue as the other pants i own... the last place they touch on my body is hip area.... the 18's were an ALMOST on getting them closed... as in a few more inches and they should fit so i didn't buy any pants (i'll have to make do with what i have for now).

On the stash i was doing ok... However... mom stopped by and gave me more YARN... check the post on the general knitting board :)

mommydearest
01-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone, hope you all had a great weekend. I just returned from a killer workout with my personal trainer, whom I work with once a week. She works me hard, which I want and need, and really motivates me to keep working hard even without her. She really makes me see and feel who I will be sooner rather than later. I know all this hard work and eating right will pay off.

I'm going on a cruise with my mom at the end of May and I really want to feel great. I'm even planning to workout on board, something I always say I'm going to do but don't. I feel by then if I don't exercise I'll just feel crappy.

I weigh in tomorrow morning so I will post my weight loss then. I'm pretty much finished with my felted needle holder. I decided to make it a little wider by crocheting around the edges, but it should be going into the wash for felting in the next hour. I've also finished two bandanas which are both in the wash now so when they're finished I'll take some pics and try to post. Need to start on my dd beanie.

Think Positive... Be Positive...

Mary:blooby:

PamJ
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Here's a favorite breakfast recipe from South Beach. It's so satisfying to have once in a while. Otherwise, I cook 1/2 cup of oats with a chopped apple and add ground flax at the end. Or a smoothie made in the blender with fatfree milk, frozen banana, and a scoop of Spirotein. What do you all like for breakfast?

Oatmeal Pancakes (changed slightly from the book by members on a South Beach forum)

For each serving, place in the blender:

1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup cottage cheese
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)
vanilla to taste (about 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon or to taste
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I omit)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
sprinkle of salt
sweetner to taste (I use half a pack of Sweet N Low)

Blend and cook in a small amount of butter. This makes 4 nice pancakes.

Weight loss this week--3.5
Knitting progress--finished light purple Ribs and Ruffles scarf, started Lacy Wrap KAL.
Exercise--14 miles on the treadmill.

HamaLee
01-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Weellll.....this was not a great weekend. Football games, birthday parties, snowstorms and excuses abound! But it's ok, every day is a new one. Even my "badness" wasn't as bad as my old normal diet! I'm feeling back on track.

I bought a scale over the weekend to weigh in and I've lost 6 lbs! Granted--this is using my end of November weight as a starting point (even I continued eating crap through the new year) AND it's not the same scale...so my doctor's appt at the end of the month will be more accurate. But I'm happy.

I also measured my neck, waist, and hips to have a starting point. Then I can keep tracking progress through those frustrating weight plateaus.

And I finished a project! My spanky new ski hat.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2193339418_ffaff65b59.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2212/2192552321_ee4edbc2b8.jpg

Threads are always better with pics, right? :teehee:

Spikey
01-14-2008, 03:45 PM
I weighed myself in the middle of the week, and it said that I'd lost 5lbs, then I weigh myself this morning and it says I've gained 4 lbs. :zombie: Not 4 lbs since my midweek weigh-in, but 4 lbs since my last week weigh-in.

I am not a tall person and I don't have that much weight to lose, so there is no way I could have a 9 lb swing in one week. :shrug: All weigh-ins were under the same conditions (first thing in the morning without much clothing), so it can't be that.

The pants I put on this morning were quite loose. It is just not possible that I lost 5lbs in three days, then gained 9lbs in 4 days, even if some of it was water weight! :hair: I give up on the scale. I'm switching to just a tape measure.

On a positive note, I finished the peekaboo mittens for my Dad (he loved them!), and finished one fingerless mitten for myself. I've also placed a small bag with dishcloth linen and old needles in the car, so as never to be without a project when stuck in bad traffic.

psquidy
01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Are you useing your scale on carpet or maybe on a floor that is uneven? Either way it's a good idea just to measure! I bet you lost so be happy!
I just did my Monday weigh in and I LOST 1 POUND!!!!!!! I know it sounds small but that was my goal. A pound a week. As the knitting goes-not so good. HAHAHA but i'm still happy. Thanks for the support everyone!

Jaxhil
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
Hi all! It's been awhile since I posted my progress, and honestly I'm afraid to get on the scale. Last week my husband got a tooth pulled and got sick at the same time. Then each of our four kids got sick too, throwing up, fever, etc, the whooole nasty she-bang. I got the cough but not much else. But having to take care of everyone (not to mention my worry streak!) really took the fight out of me and I need to start fresh. Ugh.

Just wanted to check in and see how y'all are doing, and confirm that I haven't given up.

Its reaally cold here today! Okay, I'm a Texan. :p The thermometer says 61 but it feels WAY colder, honest!! :teehee: I have a wool sweater and a turtleneck on (nope I didn't make it, too bad! LOL) and my hands are still cold.

Anyhoo, I am hoping to jump back on the wagon. Any minute now! :wink:

psquidy
01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome back!
I'm currently fighting the urge to go make a pot of Kraft Dinner! I'm at work and i didn't bring my knitting! Oh and i feel you for the cold. I'm in Nova Scotia Canada and it is really cold here too!

Liliyarn
01-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Somone asked me about my WIP, vintage velvet. I'll post my knitting notes at the bottom of this.
Knit Progress: About a ball and half of yarn to go on the scarf and I am done. The end is near...

Rated as Difficulty medium due to having to use a cable needle and keep track of knit/ purls.
The yarn is a bit pricey. It usually retails for about $16/ ball. I got it on sale for $8.00/ ball. That makes this scarf cost about $64.00 in materials in stead of $126.00. Please also note that the pattern calls for 5 balls of this yarn and I am using 8. Several people had commented that they wished the scarf were longer. Since the yarn was on sale, I gobbled up all the store had.
If you plan on knitting this scarf as directed in the pattern, then be prepared to pay $80.00 for the 5 balls of yarn. A little too much for what I am usually willing to pay for a yarn that isn’t a luxury fiber.
The yarn loves to wrap around itself, so knitting isn’t as fluid as it could be. So far, it is worth the hassle.
Added 1/14/08 Please know the yarn sheds a good bit. Also, I will probably be happy with 6 balls of yarn instead of 8. Will decide when I get to the end of ball 6.
The name Touch Me is well deserved. Knitters and Muggles swarm around this scarf as if it were divine. They sneak up on me while I'm knitting to pet the pretty scarf & yarn.

mommydearest
01-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Today is weigh in day for me...

Weight loss: -4.5 lbs :cheering:

FO: 2 bandanas for me to work out in made from Cotton, it's on the diagonal and I'm going to make a dishcloth from the same pattern with some obvious changes - I just need to figure out which decreases to use.

WIP: Started a scarf someone from KH posted a while back: Row 1 - Knit, Row 2 - Purl, Row 3 - Pattern, Row 4 - Knit, and repeat. I'm using Lion Brand Microspun that I've had in my stash for several months.

I didn't get to felt my needle holder yesterday - ran out of time to sit, wait, and check every 5 min to see how it was coming along. Of course that means my towels didn't get washed yet either... I should have time tonight after the gym with dd.

Hope everyone will have a great day. My personal trainer told me not to worry so much on the calories but to pay attention to what I'm eating and cut back on portions if needed. Exercise is crucial.

On another note: My dh noticed my arms are showing some muscle and definition, he also noticed after giving me a hug his arms fit around me better. That means as much as loosing weight and inches. :woot:

HamaLee
01-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Congratulations on the great work everyone!

I've started this week off right with my high fiber breakfast. I've made another change in my "good habits": I've decided to switch to soy milk for my coffee and cereal. Since I still eat a good amount of dairy due to cheese stick/yogurt snacks, I thought I should probably cut milk if I could. Even the low/no-fat dairy products still have some cholesterol and that's a concern given my family history.

So I'm on to soymilk and it's fine! I really don't mind it in my cereal or my coffee. I'm using a vanilla flavored one for now; it's got a good amount of calcium still, it has fiber (milk does not), protein, and although it has some fat it has no cholesterol. Hooray!

I worked on my Lucy straps again last night at a meeting, they're coming along. I think I'll be stopping by the LYS this afternoon for some mmmmmmmM to make a hat/scarf set for a friend.

Have a good week everyone!

JamOKnit
01-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Morning all! Hamalee, great hat!

I've cast on for my next project, a pair of socks using Silver's tutorial and KP Felici Hummingbird sock yarn...it's gorgeous stripes of turquoise, green, fuschia and purple. My DH calls them "clown socks." :)

Yesterday things went well....I drank my 60 oz. of water and stuck to a bowl of cereal and skim milk for breakfast and a cup of chicken gumbo and half a turkey wrap for lunch. I think I need more variety in my breakfasts though, with protein involved, since I still tend to get hungry around 10 am. Yesterday I was in a meeting and my stomach was growling so loud that I had to leave to find a snack! (wanted chips but stuck with a handful of nuts). I don't really have time to cook in the mornings, though....maybe smoothies with protein powder is the way to go. Will see what my grocery store has this evening....

Holly
01-15-2008, 11:11 AM
So much for good intentions, I haven't yet exercised this week :sad:. However, I'll meet my friend for a walk/jog at 5 tonight, and I'll get a shot of exercise motivation. It makes such a difference to be accountable to meet someone for exercise. If I exercise the rest of the week, I'll still get 4 good sessions in before that wedding on Sat!
As for food, not doing too bad. I overcame the desire to just order out last night and made a big salad, baked sweet potato and grilled salmon. I'm not very experienced at cooking fish, and I overcooked the salmon, but it was still pretty good :-).
As for knitting, I didn't get hadly anything accomplished on my project, but I did teach a group of 4 people how to cast on, knit and purl! I am trying to get a stitch n bitch started at work, but I have to start by teaching people to knit!! This did a felted booga bag before Xmas, and now are starting on a ski hat in the round (from The Knitting Workshop with EZ)
MommyDearest - Can you describe the workout you do with your trainer? I'm thinking of joining a gym down the street from my office, and need workout ideas.
Hamalee - I just tried lite vanilla soymilk for the first time, and I really like it also! I mainly use it in cereal and for smoothies, but I did make DS hot cocoa using it, and he didn't know the difference :thumbsup:
JamOKnit - for some reason, no matter what I have for breakfast, I am hungry at 10:30 :?? I do feel more full with this bfast, though: a light english muffin with an egg and 1/2 slice cheese (4 WW pts) You could also add the canadian bacon for not many more calories. Also, my friend told me that the Quaker weight control oatmeal is very good and filling (it has the protein in it.) I haven't tried it, but I'm told it does get thick (a big reason I don't like instant oatmeal is the thinness).

saracidaltendencies
01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Don't mean to butt in...lol...but, the Quaker Weight Control oatmeal really is good, and, super filling. I usually put in the microwave and add a little less water than recommended. If it's too thick, I just add hot water until I get the consistency I like. I don't like it either when oatmeal is too thin.

Holly
01-15-2008, 11:28 AM
LOL - that's not called butting in, that is called contributing!! Thanks for the tip
:-).

saracidaltendencies
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
lol...Glad I could help!

JamOKnit
01-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks Holly and Demonica! Unfortunately, I have never liked oatmeal. The only kind I would eat was the Quaker Oatmeal with the crunchies you could sprinkle on top....and they stopped selling it at my local store! It's a texture thing, I guess....

Does anyone have any good smoothie recipes? I think I can handle the blender in the morning. That and maybe half an english muffin with peanut butter? Sound like a smart choice?

HollyP
01-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a great Wednesday! Here is my first weight check in.
Weight:-4.2
Project/Progress:Finished: Mom's Calorimetry, my crocheted log cabin block and another repeat on Craig's scarf(- I may actually finish it before 2009)
Non-Scale Victories This Week:Made sensible choices when I went out to lunch with my sister.

I ended up not exercising, except for taking my dog for 25 minute walks every night, at all this week due to a pretty bad chest cold. I'm finally feeling better and am excited to get back to the gym.

HamaLee I love that hat!
Mommydearest - WTG!
Jamoknit - one of my favorite breakfast is an English muffin with pb. I usually pair it with a glass of milk and an apple. But the smoothie idea sounds great!

Everyone else keep up the good work. I love reading this thread every day and seeing all the positive changes everyone is making!

psquidy
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
DemonicaWhat's the diff b/t normal rolled oats and the quaker weight control?

mommydearest
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi Holly,

I have my personal trainer once a week on Mondays and she does something different with me every week even if it's the same body part, ie. arms. For instance when she first started with me we went to the basketball court (indoors and part of LA Fitness) and she had me doing suicides along the width (thank God), kicks - both front and side, and these things called iggies - it felt like Irish step dancing in a way. These were all done along the width of the court and repeated 3x. Another week we worked me with cruches, pushups, situps with a ball, then we did a few machines. Yesterday we worked on arms again: biceps and triceps and with each set the weight was increased but reps decreased.

I usually do the machines 2x/wk once with arms the other for legs, excluding the time with my pt. She really pushes me in a very good way - even to the point I want to... (doing something that would embarass me :-( ). Although it isn't cheap I really need someone that will get me out of my comfort zone and push. I get nervous to use the free weights but she's had me doing bicep curls and tricep extentions with the free wts.

I do the elliptical or another machine 10 min before weights, etc. and after my work out I try for 30-45 min on the elliptical.

Hope this helps...

Someone mentioned Protein Drinks. I went to GNC Saturday for some and bought Nitro-Tech for no other reason than the sales girl said she liked this one better for taste and low carbs. I usally eat cereal with milk for breakfast but after working out I've been drinking the Protein shake with water. Sometimes I add a banana and the girl even suggested peanut butter with the chocolate - I'll have to try that tomorrow. I also add 4 oz of Mona Vie and 4 oz of water with 2 scoops. So far it keeps me satisfied until I eat lunch at 3pm.

Mary

saracidaltendencies
01-15-2008, 06:46 PM
DemonicaWhat's the diff b/t normal rolled oats and the quaker weight control?

Hmm, now on that, I am not sure...Maybe they think people will spend more money on it because it reads, "Weight Control?" :teehee:

As for smoothies (mentioned above), Hubby and I make these smoothies that are delicious! The amount of each item used really depends on how many smoothies you want, and the consistency you prefer...we just put Vanilla Soymilk, bananas, and fresh strawberries in a blender with some ice, blend it until it's nice and smooth yet still thick and pour it in a glass! It is soooo good! Or, if you're feeling frisky, you can use Chocolate Soymilk...lol

Samsam
01-15-2008, 07:11 PM
As for smoothies (mentioned above), Hubby and I make these smoothies that are delicious! The amount of each item used really depends on how many smoothies you want, and the consistency you prefer...we just put Vanilla Soymilk, bananas, and fresh strawberries in a blender with some ice, blend it until it's nice and smooth yet still thick and pour it in a glass! It is soooo good! Or, if you're feeling frisky, you can use Chocolate Soymilk...lol

Soymilk smoothies are one of my favorite things to make this way! yummy

Sahmlocke
01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Check out www.sparkpeople.com great site to help people reach their weightloss goals!

I think your idea is EXCELLENT!

knitpurlgurl
01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Another STRESSFUL, crummy week.

wt loss: -0.6lbs
Progress: Finished the knitting of my daughter's simple shrug; worked on baby blanket - but wasn't paying attention because I was yapping at knitting group and now have to frog 6 rows or more. :(
Non-Scale Victory - Increase water intake. Resisted fast food. No exercise yet, but making better (not great) choices.

FYI: The weight control oatmeal is low in sugar. It is also instant, quick oats. Conversely, rolled oats are old fashioned oats that take longer to cook. They are better for you because they contain all of the fiber and complex carbs your body needs. If the oats are quick oats, they have broken down the oat (take away alot of the fiber and complex carbs) to make it cook up faster. Do yourself a favor - buy the old fashioned oats; cook them on the stove; add 1-2 tsp of brown sugar and enjoy. It's much better for you than the prepackaged, quick oats.

Piratedogmama
01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I second the sparkpeople.com site. Maybe someone could start a team for us there if we have enough interest? I just renewed myself there. Originally signed up in October and kind of forgot about it. The last two days have gone well. :cheering:

I am 1 pound heavier but AF started today so I am not stressing.
Still working on DD's wool pants and have started one leg.
Overall happy with the past week as I have been working out more and also writing what I am eating AND being honest about it. Have a good week all!

Liliyarn
01-16-2008, 12:04 AM
One more ball to go on the Vintage Velvet....so glad to be near the end of it....back to knitting

Lisa1216
01-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Weight:-2
Project/Progress:Finished ankle socks for DD and did 4 more inches on the baby afghan. (I really should have started with bigger needles, size 7 is just not going fast enough for me). I also have a braided cable scarf I need to do some work on too.
Non-Scale Victories This Week: Did okay with increasing my water intake. I did make some better choices when out to lunch, but it is so easy to slip back into old habits.

Congrats to eveyone on their successes!! Even the smallest of changes are good for us!!

Suziblues
01-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi,
I know I'm kinda late, but can I join? I need to get fit so bad! I'm about 50 lbs. overweight. I never really had a wieght problem before, I mean growing up I was always skinny and I could eat 10 White Castles (blah) or a whole pizza without any problems.
WELL, all that bad eating must have caught up with me now that I'm 'older'. I'm 52 yrs. and had 3 kids and lots of life stuff happen that has a part in my gaining all this wieght and becoming so unfit. I hate it.
My main problem, I think, is that I always like to eat at night, in bed! It is almost part of my bed time ritual. Wash up, put on PJ's, get my knitting books, say good night to hubby and then get a bowl of ICE CREAM or CEREAL or WHATEVER and get into bed!
SO, if I could, can I ask a question here? What is the SINGLE most important thing in your wieght/fit program? If you had to pick, what one thing has been the most help?
I'm thinking maybe it's drinking water? excercise?
I KNOW I need to excercise more. Plus I dont like drinking plain old water, I know I need to drink more of it for sure.
Anyway, this is such a great idea here. So, if I can: I'm in! :muah:
sue

JamOKnit
01-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Suziblues, I think you are right on with the water thing. Not only do you stay hydrated, but it helps you feel more full so you don't eat as much. I still try to drink 60 oz. per day (1 bottle in the am, 1 after lunch and 1 in the evening) and sometimes I forget to have my afternoon snack because I'm already full! I alternate between plain water (best if it's really really cold) and the Crystal Light packets to flavor it up a bit.

Good luck!

So I made my first smoothie this morning and it was pretty good! I used a banana, plain non-fat yougurt, OJ, frozen strawberries and some ice! Still needs a bit of tweaking (maybe a teensy bit of honey?) but still good and filling. I bought this V8 Fusion juice in peach mango so I think I'll try that next instead of OJ. I'm planning to alternate smoothie mornings with Special K mornings (since I am a variety seeker!) LOL

Liliyarn
01-16-2008, 11:20 PM
What has made the difference for me so far:
8 servings of water period. No falvorings no sports drinks, it must be plain water.
Eating a healthy breakfast every day
30 minutes of work out every day even if it is a slow walk.
Logging everything I eat & exercise. Makes you think about what you do when you put it to paper.

Liliyarn
01-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Knitting progress:
I've finally finished Vintage Velvet! Now to felt it. Pics when I am able & when it is dry.

DQ
01-17-2008, 06:22 AM
SO, if I could, can I ask a question here? What is the SINGLE most important thing in your wieght/fit program? If you had to pick, what one thing has been the most help?

I think at the moment the most important thing for me is exercising. I've been gradually making changes to my diet for quite a while but the weight only really started coming off when I started exercising.

Good luck with your mission :hug:

mommydearest
01-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Hi,

I've always been a big water drinker but it really is important to stay hydrated. I drink way more than needed because I really hate feeling dry lips and skin. I like the humidity in FL and with the cold front it's so dry for me. Don't know how I survived so many 30+ yrs in Northern Illinois.

Exercise is doing it for me this final time. I have so much more energy and look forward to going to the gym and see what I can do. There are days I have to make the cardio shorter than 30 min but I will still do 10 min before core and machines and 20 min after. It makes me feel GREAT. You can still have a snack at night but make it a Skinny Cow or something light. Cottage cheese with some fruit is good too. I've done that several times with fresh cut pineapple. Makes me think of eating ice cream. Try ff pudding or sf jello with ff whipped topping, that makes a nice treat too.

Glad you're making this journey with us.:yay:

Mary

psquidy
01-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Most important for me has been a high fiber breakfast!

HollyP
01-18-2008, 01:29 AM
The most important thing for me has been being truly honest with myself about what I eat during the day and why. I am a big emotional eater and I also eat a lot when I am bored. Knowing this has really helped me to curb it a little. I've started a food journal where I right down everything I eat good or bad. The knitting instead of eating has so far ended my boredom eating. Now I just need to work on the overeating when I am stressed.

Kels Joy.
01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
i definately agree with the diet diary. i keep mine in my purse and write down EVERYTHING that i eat, good or bad. and then i write down what my exercise was that day, and then i evaluate how i'm doing and what i need to do better. it also really helps me see actually how much i ate when i write it down.

knittingymnast
01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
but, I am already a very dedicated gymnast
i will work out harder, though! :teehee:

knittingymnast
01-18-2008, 05:38 PM
actually,I change my mind
i'll motivate you into losing weight!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Liliyarn
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
It was my birthday. I finished a Red Vintage Velvet scarf from Scarf Style. I ate 1.5 ounces of red velvet cake. Oh my gosh, I think I'm going to be sick. Waaaaaay too much sugar. Waaaaay too sweet. I haven't had anything like this in at least 7 weeks. I chose to splurge on my b day.

Ugh, as good as it tastes, it isn't worth the shock to my stomach and blood sugar.

There's another 1.5 ounces in the fridge. It can stay there.

NYcarrie
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Lilyarn, I saw the Vintage Velvet in your blog. It looks AMAZING! You've inspired me to make it my next scarf project!

I'm still here and still on track. I get to weigh myself in 2 weeks and will see how much I've lost then. I can tell my pants fit better, though. Yay!
For me, it's no bread. Bread in all its forms--bread, crackers, pretzels, pizza crust, cereal, cookies, etc. I'm not low-carbing. I still eat potatoes, oatmal, bananas, yogurt and plenty of other things that have carbs in them. But I cannot control my consumption of bread. I just eat too much of it. Honestly, I've found that on the "no bread, no sweets" diet that I don't really have to worry about what I'm doing or what I'm eating. As long as I'm not eating bread or candy that everything else pretty much takes care of itself.

Liliyarn
01-19-2008, 12:46 AM
The pic doesn't do it justice. It really comes out wonderful. Be prepared to spend some $$$ on the yarn though. It is pricey to me at least. Worth it for the FO though.

Thanks!!

and keep up the no bread...I can totally feel you on that. Grains in general get me. I can live on them whole grain or not. I have to really watch myself.

Good luck!!

DQ
01-19-2008, 06:05 AM
0lbs lost this week :pout: I'm a little bit disappointed but there's also 0lbs gained so that's something to be thankful for. I must try harder next week.

birdwomn
01-19-2008, 12:39 PM
On the last row of the skirt I am knitting.
So, I have to go to the yarn store. Fortunately it is only cascade fixation, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've had a tough week getting into the diet thing, but I am working on it. I am hopeful that I will be back in the swing by Monday. Gotta kick the Starbucks habit!

knitpurlgurl
01-21-2008, 06:44 PM
This week:

Weight Lost: -1.1#
NSV: I ate alot of good foods, upped the water, and started drinking green tea in place of nibbling.
Knitting Progress: Frogged several rows of knitting in my Baby Blanket due to yapping at knitting group instead of paying attention to my knitting. Almost finished with the toddler shrug I am making.

knittingymnast
01-21-2008, 07:11 PM
where do you guys get "the knitting diet" green buttons? i want 1! i'll diet for it!!:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

mommydearest
01-22-2008, 07:10 AM
I can't figure out how to have the KDC button and the Ravelry button at the same time...

Progress: Lost -.5 lbs

I have exercised by butt off so much that I keep wanting to go back. It feels so good to work hard and I'm getting so much stronger too. My push-ups and chin-ups can be done without hesitation, at least until I get to 20, ok maybe 15 :teehee: . Now that I can work hard I'm planning to train and enter a 5K Easter run/walk in March. I hope it's enough time.

Knitting: Finished a diagonal dishcloth and started another with leftover yarn. Using two or three colors if need be. I also started scarf but I think I need to frog a couple of rows since I messed up. I have a hard time watching TV and knitting that scarf. Maybe tonight during commercial while watching The Biggest Loser.

NSV: Maybe the same as above? I was gone overnight this past weekend and still managed to eat well. Went to Chili's and instead of getting something I would not be happy with I paid a few dollars more for the Guiltless Salmon. It was delicious and I was extremely happy with my choice.

This week will be a very lo-carb week. According to my personal trainer it helps to change a persons diet to jump start the weight loss again. I haven't been going crazy with carbs but I've been eating cereal for breakfast. This week it will be omelets, with lots of veggies, turkey bacon and cheese.

Hope everyone will have a good weigh in. Just keep positive thoughts. It won't always be weight loss since the weight comes in inches as well.

I can fit into an old pair of jeans again. And while they are tight at the moment, I'm hoping they'll be too lose to wear in another month.

Mary

Spikey
01-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Forgot to weigh in yesterday...

Finally some progress, -2 lbs!!!! I have been working very hard at keeping a strict low carb diet this week. Now I just have to keep it up.

Knitting: Finished my fingerless mitts and most of a dishcloth. Cast on and got about halfway through the first mitten for a friend.

NSV: DH and I at least talked about playing Wii as a fun together workout. Since I'm working tonight, we'll hopefully start today. Also did some major housecleaning.

Hope everyone has a good week.

HamaLee
01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I didn't have the greatest week food-wise, although my "bad" choices are better than they used to be...if that makes sense. I have still been sticking with the daily salad, high fiber breakfast, etc etc. I'm still hunnnngry at the 3-4 o'clock time, but it HAS improved. So, yay.

I've been a little lazy with exercise with the cold weather, but I've gotta get hopping on that again too. Some of my clothes fit a bit better; my mom thought I lost weight when I went home for a visit this weekend (and um, celebrated my birthday with chicken wings and brownies! :teehee:).

My scale, or my body or both are nutso. I can weigh myself several times a day and always get a different reading, which I know is normal. But it varies by up to 10 lbs sometimes!! That can't be right. I dunno...Right now I'm just taking the most friendly number as fact. :mrgreen: I'll find out at the doctor on Monday if I've actually lost any weight.

Great job everyone!

Knit-wise I :heart::heart: my Lucy Bag, but I need to make a lining for it. And I knit up a Boy Hat (pattern via Ravelry) and a brioche stitch neck warmer the other day. I've been commissioned to make more Endpaper Mitts and I'm deciding if I actually want to do that, and I'm nearing the end of the yoke on Mr. Greenjeans. Whew!

saracidaltendencies
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
where do you guys get "the knitting diet" green buttons? i want 1! i'll diet for it!!:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Here it is again, I don't remember which page I originally posted it on....lol...If it gets lost in the posts again and anyone still wants it, just send me a PM and I can send you the image :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/MistressDemonica/kdc.gif

DQ
01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I don't think I'm going to have a very good week this week :oops: I've got a cold that's gone into my sinuses and it's giving me headaches. I've not really felt up to exercising for the last few days :pout: I did manage take the dog for a walk around the block and did ten minutes or so of marching on the spot today though so that's something I suppose :oops:

Congratulations to all who have lost something :hug:

JamOKnit
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Hope you feel better soon, DQ.

I have sorta fallen off the wagon too....not that I've been eating poorly, I just haven't been as conscious about it this week and I missed two Jazzercise sessions because I've been helping my husband with his job search and we spend most nights on the computer....I know I shouldn't neglect my exercise but sometimes there are just other priorities, ya know?

But, as long as I get back to my original plan, I can start again...there are no failures, only small slides...and all is forgiven. :)

Knittingwise, I am almost done with sock#1, and since I have to sit in the waiting room at the car dealer today while my car is serviced, I think I can get it finished!

Lisa1216
01-23-2008, 11:20 AM
I too have been a little off the wagon with trying to eat more fruits and veggies. Over the weekend DH and I went out to dinner and also to a friend's benefit to help with fire damage/loss of their home. Ate all the wrong foods, mostly high sodium type foods and beer. I did pretty well with my water intake last week, so there is a positive.
Weight: +3 pounds
Knitting: Made more progress on the baby afghan. I signed up for a faire isle knitting class at my LYS. I really want to learn continental knitting.
Non-knitting victories: Started cleaning out my basement/laundry room. Moving heavy boxes and alot of bending & squating. (I'll take exercise where I can get it, lol). We also got 2.5 feet of snow Sunday, so Monday afternoon DH and I shoveled off our roofs (house and 4 car garage) and back deck.

DQ~Hope you feel better soon. Nothing is worse than trying to exercise, let alone breathe, with a stuffed up head.

Hamalee~Good job sticking with the "better" choices and salads/high fiber breakfasts.

JamOKnit~Good luck with the job search! Hope everything works out for DH.

Spikey, knitpurlgurl, & mommydearest~:cheering: on the weight losses. Keep up the good work!

Everyone have a great day!

Jaxhil
01-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Everyone is doing so well! And for those of us that have fallen off the wagon (myself included) lets grab the tail gate and climb back in! LOL

I haven't weighed myself lately because I'm a chicken and I haven't been all that great with my eating. But I exercised 3 times last week, 1 hour on my stationary bike each time. I did my bike for an hour yesterday and today as well. Now I just need to make myself start up my circuit training weights and abs too.

I bought a swiss ball, has anyone ever tried that? I am picturing myself rolling all over the place and I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet :teehee: Hopefully its not as hard as it looks-I've heard its really good for whittling the core! I could use some whittling for sure :mrgreen:

Knitting wise, I've started a pair of Log Cabin socks from Hand Knit Holidays. I've gotten the leg done on one so far, and am about to start knitting the heel flap. This is only my second pair of socks so I am a bit nervous! But I love this pattern, so I am going to stick it out and hope for the best. It's a really pretty pattern-I'm using Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds in Sea Ice.

Keep up the good work everyone! We can do it!!

Nikkilc
01-24-2008, 07:54 AM
I use a swiss ball well i did till my cat accidentally got her claw into in just the right angle.Make sure u buy a anti bust one, it means if it does get a hole in it will slowly deflate and not go bang like a balloon.
Am just off to order a new one had the 1st one nearly a yr before it deflated.
I have knitted while sat on mine before and i used to use it instead of a chair at the pc makes you sit upright and wobble. :rofl:

DQ
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I've been to the Pharmacy and the lady there thinks I probably have Sinusitus :pout: It's not the worst thing in the world to have but I feel miserable!! :cry: Makes me want to eat!

I am trying to be good though...apart from being a little naughty and leaning towards the more comforting rather than healthy meals. I've not been snacking, which is good. Exercise is more difficult. I tried to do 20 mins with one of my workout videos yesterday and the floor exercises really hurt my head.

Weigh in will be either tomorrow or Saturday. I just hope I haven't put anything on Crossed Fingers

JamOKnit
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Well, the good news is that DH got a call yesterday to set up an interview, so we are supremely happy right now! :) Thanks for all the well wishes.

Got a few inches of the foot done on my sock #1 yesterday while I waited for my car to be serviced...should be on to sock #2 by this weekend!

Diet wise...not so good. But I'm back to drinking lots of water and snacking on apples instead of chips. Baby steps, people!

starburst
01-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Anyone mind if I join you guys?

I've been wanting to lose weight for a while now. When I was 16 I was a size 12/14ish and while I lived in Germany for my junior year in high school, I was really good about my eating and exercise. Up until that year, I didn't think I was capable of losing weight, but I came home and found that I was a size 8. I didn't keep up my regime, though, and at the end of the year when I went prom dress shopping, I left the store with a size 16. I'm back to a 12/14, but knowing that I could be healthier and that I am not is really upsetting.

It's my goal to lose about 40lbs by the summer. I'm trying to start small--this week I'm working on drinking more water and going to our school's fabulous gym at least once. I'm going to build my way up to working out three times a week. I pay $90 a quarter for that gym, so I might as well use it!

Right now I'm in search of a work out buddy. I need someone to go with me to the gym because it always makes me so self conscious. Plus, I know that I won't go if I don't have someone else who is relying upon me being there.

DQ
01-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Well, the good news is that DH got a call yesterday to set up an interview, so we are supremely happy right now! :) Thanks for all the well wishes.

Good luck to him! :)

Weigh in = -1lb!!! :woot:

Yes!! I was so worried that I'd gain this week :passedout:

Knitting goals - I finished the scarf I was making for my MIL. This week I'm worrking on a toy for my son and a pair of socks for my mum. If I could finish either or both of those I'll be happy!

Other goals - I haven't been doing well on my water drinking this week so I really need to get that back on track :oops: I think I'll set it at 1 pint glass or more of water a day. I'm not a very good water drinker, I prefer juice. I try to have water when I'm exercising but I haven't been doing much exercise this week.

mommydearest
01-25-2008, 07:01 AM
We only need to be good one day at a time...

Think small (no pun intended). Instead of thinking we have 50+ to lose, think of 10 lbs at a time. So far it has worked for me. My first goal was 12 pounds for the month of January (1-31). Since I've lost 10 of those 12 I've changed it to 7 more pounds by Feb 18 (my 43rd B-day). I'm hoping to lose that before that date but if not I won't have to feel like I've failed. I'll go 10 lbs at a time. I know there will some months that I'll plateau and I can feel good about the past 10 lbs I've lost. The pounds add up and then we can all feel great about saying good-bye to them.

In the past I've said I have to lose ?? lbs every month and set the whole year up, but then I wouldn't make the goal and fail.

I feel so positive this year will be the beginning of a new "life" for me. I just hope the rest of my family will recognize me at Christmas.

Mary

mommydearest
01-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Sorry I forgot something.

NSV: I frogged the sock and scarf I was making yesterday. Sock was supposed to be for ds but fit me and I just didn't like it - I need to do a pattern on the instep for me, and the scarf I just wasn't happy with either.

BUT... I started on a Beanie for dd and I did so much on it yesterday that I am starting to decrease today. I should finish it tonight. :woohoo: The pattern is from Charmed Knits but I'm using purple and black instead of Gryffendor colors.

Mary

NYcarrie
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Congrats to all those sticking with it! For those who have fallen off, don't worry. Just pick yourself up and get back on with it. Our health isn't in danger because we ate Cheetos one day... or even every day for a week. It's in danger because our week turns into months, which turns into years.

I'm still doing pretty well. I had exams last week, and the last couple of days were really rough, and i just couldn't be bothered, and that wasn't so great. But I'm still proud of myself for two things: 1) I kept my bad days to two, and when exams were over, I got right back on track, and 2) even on my "bad" days, I didn't go way overboard. I ended up ordering in because I was too busy studying to cook, but I made healthier choices (brown rice instead of fried rice) and didn't take it as an excuse to stuff myself--I ate until I was full, and then I stopped.

Knitting also suffered during exams, but I'm back on track. Have one UFO I really, really need to work on and one other I'm about to finish. I got some remainder cashmere at a really low price that I'm dying to work into a scarf, but I have pledged to finish my 1-year UFO scarf before I touch it. That should be motivation enough!

Good luck to all the knitting dieters! Keep at it! Even if yesterday didn't work out like you planned, that doesn't mean today can't.

JamOKnit
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Welcome, starburst!

Great job, mommydearest and NYcarrie!

Holly
01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi all! I haven't had time to catch up with the thread yet this week, but here is my stats:
LOST: .6 LBS
KNITTING PROGRESS: Hardly any -- we had a big family wedding last weekend. I'm hoping for some quality knitting time this weekend :-)
NON WEIGHT CELEBRATION: A couple of times this week, I've eaten out and put aside approx 1/2 of the meal! I'm trying to be more conscious of only eating until I'm satisfied, and trying to get a handle on the whole emotional eating thing. Oh, and how could I forget the trip to the movies WITHOUT buying popcorn or candy!! :cheering:
I

meekmary
01-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Is it me or are you a Flybaby???? The fifteen minute rule! I love it! I am trying to talk myself into this "knitting diet". God knows I need it! LOL!!
Otn: a sweater for my mom

Holly
01-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm a flybaby wannabe -- I keep falling off the fly wagon and having to start over :blush: !

Jaxhil
01-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I feel so positive this year will be the beginning of a new "life" for me. I just hope the rest of my family will recognize me at Christmas.

Mary

Mary, I love your positive attitude! I just turned 43 on Jan 13th and I'm hoping the SAME thing for this year :cool:

I've done pretty good in exercising this week-4 days on the bike/1hr each time. Plus I am working on lining up some Firm workout tapes to add some weight training to the mix. I haven't been doing great on the eating, but I guess not horrible either. Unfortunately I have eaten fried foods (the bad bad fast food kind!) several times this week. Man, I am just so addicted to the stuff! I really want to stop but I don't *love* to cook and it's just so much easier. I had gotten better for a few weeks there, I just need to rally myself up and DO IT.

I finally got on the scale again today and I haven't lost any more, but I haven't *gained* any either, so while it isn't ideal, it could be worse.

I haven't done much knitting wise. I did finish the sweater for my son last week, and worked a bit on the Log cabin Socks I started. I really like the pattern but I put it down when I got ready to start the heel flap and haven't picked it back up in several days. Need to get back on it! And this isn't even SSS-its the first sock!

mommydearest
01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Hilary, don't beat yourself up over the fried foods. Wean yourself off by ordering less each time or better yet go to a healthier style fast food place. Subway had some really good choices and are NOT totally high in calories even with the bread - just order from the Fresh Fit section. I've told my kids that Subway and Quiznos are the only Fast Food Restaurants on the agenda should we want to get something quick.

My dh did, however take ds to McD's without me and dd. I told him to NOT bring it home - no and's, if's, or but's!!!

If it wasn't for my dh cooking almost everynight for us I know I wouldn't be doing as well as I am. I eat a lot of chicken and fish with veggies or a salad but he goes out of his way some nights to make the kids or himself something different. He has been extremely supportive of me - this time! In the past he hasn't been for whatever reason. This time I made him understand that if I don't lose weight I may not be around in another 5-10 yrs.

Just keep working on the eating. Keep a Fiber One bar or 100 cal bar or even the powder for a protein shake in a cup so you just need to add water or milk for a quick meal.

We are all here for you.

Something else besides this forum that has been helping me is the Biggest Loser Club and a 40 something Newbies forum.

Mary

mommydearest
01-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Just had to let you all know I finished the beanie for dd on Friday and gave it to her - SHE LOVES IT!!!:woohoo: I started one for ds yesterday but had to use smaller needles and more stitches so I wouldn't have to start with dpn's. Taking a little longer than I wanted but it's coming along.

I'll see if she'll model it so I can post a picture.

Mary

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 10:18 AM
how do you put more than 1 button on your signature?!?!!!

birdwomn
01-27-2008, 05:23 PM
well, somehow.... I managed to lose 5 of the 10 lbs I had regained this week, so that is moving in the right direction.
I also finished everything but the casing on a skirt for my daughter. (She wanted to wait to assure the elastic is right)
So, I started on another skirt for her and also am working on finishing a little nothing bath math for the powder room that I started knitting last summer when I was recuperating from a broken arm. I was mostly just trying to get my fingers to move, so it isn't anything special.
The plan for this week: Exercise daily, finish both skirts

NYcarrie
01-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Some tips about avoiding fast food if you're a non-cooker... I make sure I ALWAYS have something at home that doesn't need to be cooked. Canned soup, fruit and yogurt and nuts, whatever. I generally like to cook, but I go through periods of time when I'm working 80+ hours a week, and I just can't. I avoid the temptation to order out by making sure I always have something at home that I can eat rightaway. Canned soup is high in sodium and not the most nutritious thing in the world, but it beats McDonald's hands down!

The other thing about fast food... I swear if you stop eating it, it will become disgusting to you. I was raised on fast food. As kids, we probably ate it 5 times a week. My dad was sick, my mom was depressed, there was no one shopping or cooking and... well... it wasn't pretty.

But immediately after college, I lived abroad for a year where there just wasn't any fast food around, and when I came back to the US, I swear I couldn't even stand the smell of it anymore. I've eaten fast food maybe three times in the last 5 years (every time because I was with other people in a situation I could not control and was just too hungry to eat nothing), and I really, really find it gross. This is definitely not how I was raised!

So the bottom line is that I think if people can make a pledge to stay away from processed food for a while that it really loses it's appeal. That's my theory, anyway.

Congrats to everyone who is doing so well... and congrats to the people who are struggling but sticking with it! I'm still on track. I haven't been able to weigh myself, but I will at the doctor next week.

My knitting needs to get back on track. I ordered yarn for a new sweater even though I still haven't finished this :wall: scarf yet. It was a moment of weakness and the yarn was on sale.... I have to pledge not to start the sweater until the scarf is done, though. 1 year for 1 scarf is just too much!!

knittingymnast
01-28-2008, 05:14 PM
im in!
i managed to lose 1 lb! its nothing though....

Liliyarn
01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Weigh in: Still 0 lbs lost (why break that streak?) Something really has to give on this eventually! Two months and no more weight has come off....

The Good: I'm now doing the couch to 3k training program - shaking up the cardio routine
I do crunches every day now.
Lifted weights at least three days this week.
I'm still eating very well (except that 1 home made chocochip cookie at work)
I have stayed in my calorie range & have eaten less than 30 grams of fat each day (except the cookie day).

The bad: I really had time to work out more, but I've been sick
The cookie
NSV: 4 different people say I've lost weight despite Mr. Scale and they don't know I'm trying to be healthier
I bought new slacks today for work as some of mine are just too baggy
Knitting: I've finished Vintage Velvet
Embossed leaves socks
Fixed a cable & lace scarf & started knitting on it again
Started some Diagonal rib socks

Everyone keep up the great work! Don't give up and just keep adding a healthy habit each month - it will make a difference!
I'm thinking Feb's healthy habit will be for me to do the cooking on weekends. I too work ridiculous hrs and have no time to cook (that would mean giving up knitting). So, I am considering doing batch cooking on the weekends again.
Anyone have a healthy habit they'd like to add tot heir routine for next month?

eladine
01-29-2008, 05:13 AM
Liliyarn,

Hope you don't mind me saying, but if you're starting to do the exercise, then you are probably turning some fat into muscle - so, where you might not see any loss of pounds, you might notice a more toned tummy/body! (Muscle weighs more than fat does!)

I know this is one thing I suffer with.

I've taken to just using the scales as a small indicator, but more using the tape measure as a better more motivating indicator!

BTW... weigh in after 3 week diet.... loss 7 pounds.... #sigh#

More exercise needed!!!!

mommydearest
01-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Lilyarn - don't be hard on yourself. I will also agree that you are gaining muscle - the new smaller size clothes is proof of that. You could try less carbs (breads and cereals) and eat more protein. Unless you've been doing that already. You can try changing the way you eat. Are you eating the same amount of calories you did a month ago? Try eating less calories or maybe you need to add some because of the exercise. You may not be getting enough calories to compensate for the calories burned from doing weights and cardio.

Lost -4 lbs :woot:
Finished one Beanie for dd and still working on ds's
NSV: Went to a friends house on Sunday and ate 3 small slices of pizza and stopped. Ate lots of raw veggies before and finished off with ff pudding and sf jell-o with ff cool whip... YUM

Mary

Keep going everyone - we are doing this for OUR health.

Liliyarn
01-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone. I am not dependant on the scale or I would have given up a month ago. It'd just be nice for the scale to reflect the too big for me pants now. Not even one itty, bitty pound shed.
Get this...I started eating higher protien to help with the muscles when I started doing strength training. It is also low fat...which makes it difficult to do low carb. I'm still going at it though.
I can't see where I can eat less. So, I tried to increase calories a while back and my gosh...that is a lot of food. With out dipping into fast food, sugar, or chocolate, I can't do it. I usually eat around 1200-1550 calories a day.
During working days I just can't add a fourth meal to help me bump up the calories. Plus, I'm also following my hunger. I'm not hungry, so I don't eat. I want chocolate, but it isn't b/c I'm hungry.
So, I'm hanging in there until I make time with a personal trainer. See what s/he says.

HamaLee
01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Everyone is doing great work! Yay! You guys keep me motivated, even when I have crappy days.

According to the scale this morning, I've lost 11 pounds. WOO! I've never stuck with a lifestyle change long enough to lose 10lbs on purpose, so I'm proud of myself (even if the scale will likely give me screwy readings going up and down all over the place). I haven't noticed a difference in the way I look or feel, but my mom and roommate think I've lost weight. And I can squeeze into a pair of jeans from last year.

I'm doing better with that 3-4pm hunger pang, it's still there but dissipating. I had a feeling I just needed to get used to it. My February goal is to really be exercising regularly, I haven't been at all. I'm just sooooo exhausted and run down I can barely do anything but sleep after work, it's a bummer. My doctor is aware, but doesn't really have any advice. I may shake up the diet and go low-carb for a week or two, just so my body doesn't get complacent.

My knitting has been slacking a bit, but I am up to the cable/rib portion of Mr. Greenjeans. :mrgreen:

JamOKnit
01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Great job, Hamalee! If you can just get a little bit of exercise into your routine, it will be amazing how good you will feel. Even when I REALLY don't feel like going to work out, as soon as the music starts, I am so excited to be there, and afterwards, I feel SO energized.

I'm back on the smoothie kick this week after a not-so-healthy last week. I just wasn't paying attention to what I was eating. This week, so far so good...drinking water, exercising, getting lots of sleep.

Finished sock #1 but no time last night to CO for sock #2. Hopefully tonight during AI I can get some done!

HamaLee
01-29-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I know I really need to just suck it up and get outside. I'm just sooo exhausted, I can barely drive my car home without passing out. Plus I have headaches every day, siiiigh. I just mostly feel like crap all the, I hope it passes.

Jaxhil
01-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Hamalee, I know how you feel-I was feeling like C*** for MONTHS and just couldn't make myself do the exercise-even getting up out of chairs was hard, walking around was hard, *everything* seemed hard. Even getting out of bed.

But I have to tell you, I've been exercising the last couple of months (not even eating that great, but I am trying to improve!) and just adding the exercise (mostly the stationary bike, but I am adding some Firm workouts now) is making a MASSIVE difference in how I feel. I can get up, walk, and do so many things so much easier!!

It is hard to make myself do it, I really can sympathize! I have 4 kids, I am a SAHM (homeschooling too) so I am tired a LOT.

But I have a neat little trick that helps me get my exercise in almost everyday. When I don't feel like doing it (and that's FREQUENTLY, LOL) I just tell myself, okay I'll do it but only for 20 minutes (or however long will work to get me going). I always mean it too, I really will stop at that point if I feel like it...and I have *yet* to stop at the little amount of time I promise myself. Even if I say I'll only do 10 or 15, by the time I'm up to that I always say well, I can do more, I'm already here, it's not so bad! And usually I end up doing a whole lot more than I said I was going to.

Anyway, even if you tell yourself-5 minutes!- remember, its a start, and thats a good thing! It's mainly making the habit stick at first, not so much what you do or how long you do it.

Well I hope I haven't butted in, but I just thought it might help. I really do feel a whole lot better, it's soo worth it!

And for my own check-in, I did my 1 hour on my bike again yesterday, plus a Firm video today (my legs and rear-end are gonna feel like jelly tomorrow! lol).

I haven't done so well in the eating though.. I had four home-made chocolate chip cookies today!! EEK! bad girl, will have to eat rabbit food the rest of the day :p

Jaxhil
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh, and congrats Mary!! Four lbs down, that's great!! Hooray! :thumbsup:

Jaxhil
01-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I just read through the posts I missed and want to thank Mary and NYCarrie (btw, my sis's name is Carri-great name! :)) for your most excellent advice!! I wish I could live abroad for a year-what a great way to get off the fast food! LOL.

But barring that, I think you are both right-have alternatives to the fast food ready, even canned soup is better-I agree. And I really have got to stop it. I think you're right, if I just can get away from it for a good long while, I am sure it will be nasty to me. Especially the fries!! I will try to stop eating them, I really want to, but sometimes they just smell soooo good!

I have an oven fries recipe that's really good and I should just make those instead. Much healthier, and much better tasting too!!

I am really enjoying this thread, everyone is so helpful and supportive! It's much easier knowing y'all are in this too!

:grphug:

Hugs to you all! :teehee:

knitatsunnyknoll
01-30-2008, 03:30 AM
Hello from snowy Oregon.
I am a newbie to this site and have just introduced myself on the Introduce Yourself Thread.
I think I did it right. This is all a little new to me!
I love this thread of TKDC! I was just thinking of this the other day that I need to keep my knitting a little closer to me at all times as it does help when I want to eat!!!
I am doing WW and love to sit in class and of course, knit.
My weigh in is on Wed. I am having a hard time facing the scales and do not even want to get on mine at home!
I got down 15lbs and of course instead of picking up my needles, I picked up homemade pumpkin scones (better than Starbucks) that my girls made and celebrated! Now I am having a hard time getting going again!
I really want to use from my stash this year and not bring anymore home. However:) , last week I was at a resale store and there calling to me the moment I walked into the place where two Huge sacks full of lovely Lopi brand wool in beautiful colors, and the other full of a wool blend yarn of a brand I did not recognize but it feels wonderful!
I pushed my cart quickly to the sacks, put two into my cart, left a questionable 3rd sack on the rack and wheeled my cart around. There, standing behind me was this sweet older lady.. who then preceded to take the third sack from the rack that I left behind. She turned to me and very sweetly told me that she teaches her granddaughters how to crochet and that she hoped that her sack would be enough!!! Now mind you, it held between 20-25 skeins! I smiled sweetly back and told her how wonderful it was that she was passing this craft along to them. It is a noble cause but alas , All is fair in love and Stash building! So now I have around 50 skeins of yarn to add to my others. I only have 3-5 large plastic tubs full, and a few sacks of acrylic in various colors and weights that my moms friend gave to us. Great for my friends who would never care for anything wool.
O.K. Really I would have shared with her but her sack really was full and she said she comes there weekly::aww: X:

I also have 4 ufo's that I will finish before I start anything else.
1.Hubby's EZ mobius vest-from Christmas 2yrs ago. need to do I-cord all around to sew together...need to just do it!
2.Baby Sweater for last baby who is now 3yrs old.
3.slippers 1 knitted need to find pattern, knit the 2nd, and felt.
4.The First cardigan cable sweater I ever made started 15yrs ago. need to to knit second button band and its done, oh and then loose 65 lbs to fit into it!
Right know I am working the Baby Sweater as it is small and portable!
Well that is all for now. The support from this group will be a big help! Thanks- in advance!

HamaLee
01-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Welcome! And nobody said anything about stash-reducing when it comes to working on UFOs :teehee:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-30-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm in! Taking pics of the UFOs may be a challenge until I find the charger for the camera :neutral:
I'm working on Tomato from No Sheep for You, and starting you on a diet next week.

:cheering:

Lisa1216
01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm doing well with the water intake, but still lacking in increasing fruits and veggies. I'm only getting 1-2 serving a day of each, if that. I may also need to do what Hamalee is doing and increase my fiber.

Weight: 0 lost or gained
Knitting: Still working on the baby afghan. Also started another pair of socks. I need to dig out some long lost UFO's and see if I really want to finish or frog them.
Other victories: I did start running some more on the treadmill. I walked 1/4 mile, then ran 1/4 mile, and repeated this 2 more times. I usually run for time, but I'm going to try running distances this time since I'm a pretty slow runner. I really want to run in a 5k this spring. I did finish cleaning out the main part of our basement this past weekend. A lot of bending and lifting, I was actual a little sore on Monday.

Keep up the great work everyone! Welcome to everyone new who has joined our group!

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 06:04 PM
lol lisa

i have managed to gain 0 lbs lose 0 lbs...grr

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-31-2008, 02:41 AM
i've gone down another couple of pants sizes... from a 24/26 yoga pant to a 16/18 yoga pant (jeans are just between a 22 and a 24!... tops are down to a 16/18 as well).

I also finished my first pair of socks tonight :)

Liliyarn
01-31-2008, 04:39 AM
I can't recall if I've posted these or not so forgive me for being lazy and not checking...
Red Vintage Velvet - horrible picture, but I'm not a photographer...
And my Embossed Leaves Socks
I haven't made much knitting progress this week. I'm working on a new pair of socks and the Cable & Lace cashmere scarf (pics of that later...) Just no time to knit on them. Will report on my healthy habits & (lack of) results this weekend.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2183/2199863327_79461d59eb.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2253/2199863099_f7053945a0_o.jpg

mommydearest
01-31-2008, 06:42 AM
Beautiful scarf and I love the sock. Might have to try one like that. There's more detail to it that would keep my mind and hands interested.

Thanks for the photos - I don't remember seeing them before either (or at least not here) so I'm glad you posted them.

Mary

DQ
02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Weigh in = -1lb!!

Knitting goals - Well I've not completed the toy or the socks but I've got one of the oddball charity blankets to work on so I don't care :mrgreen:

Other goals - I've gone down a size in trousers pretty much! The next size down is slightly tight but not as tight as I thought it would be. :woot:

I've been a bit slack and naughty this week so I need to start working a bit harder again.

knitatsunnyknoll
02-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi all,
I am so encouraged by all of you guys! I bit the bullet and weighed myself.. up 3.5lbs. thats o.k. i am so glad it was not the whole 15! O.K. so now back in the saddle again;)
I have now journaled my food for 3days in a row.. new record for me! I even journaled my disastrous dinner last night with hubby. Red Robbins resturant, and even though I ate very little it was a whopping 15pts in WW language! But I journaled it and I am not going to repeat it. it was not worth it!! Break through aha moment...Journaling is working:lol:!
I was able to knit more on the Baby sweater and have stopped myself(several times) from purchasing the new Vogue Knitting Mag., sigh...to much temptation!
How do you all deal with temptations to eat when you are out and about?
I also got all of the new stash put into a newly purchased container and put out of site and out of mind...
I am going now to try a new low fat pumpkin scone recipe... and then looking forward to a knight of knitting and listening/watching Christmas in Connecticut, the old version!
Have a great weekend!

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 06:08 PM
oh! i like the sock and scarf! good job every1!

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 06:23 PM
here are pix.

like them?

HamaLee
02-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Nice sox! Those'll keep your tootsies toasty between events. :thumbsup:

Well, I've been hit-by-a-mac-truck, wish-i-got-a-flushot sick since late Thursday night. :ick: The only upside is I've barely eaten since then :teehee:. Ok, ok I kid...but yeah I've been feeling naaaaasty. Went home early from work on Friday and there's no chance in :!!!: that I'll be going in tomorrow!

I've been too sick to knit! :verysad:

knittingymnast
02-04-2008, 08:23 PM
poor hama! hope you feel better soon!

knittingymnast
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
O-k. Here goes.

Weight: -1.3 lbs!! :woot: :woot: :woot:
FO's: 4 squares for church afghan, beaded rolled brim hat, ipod armband
OTN: loooooooong garter/stockinette/elongated stitch scarf, square for church afghan

Well, I'm glad I actually did something. Even though I lost little, it issomething. So, I can't complain.

mommydearest
02-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Good Morning everyone, hope you will all have a wonderful day today...

Checking in with ya'll all my weigh in

Weight: -2 pounds:woot:

Knitting: finished a pair of wrist warmers for ME (for a change) - they are nice and soft and warm. After I finished the 2nd at swim practice last night I wore them - it was a bit chilly once the sun set. I will take a picture and get them posted along with the beanies.

NSV: Wore a pair a capri's yesterday that I haven't worn in a couple of months (they're white) and they are too loose. Felt great to wear them but that will be the last time. I may keep them just to see the difference when this bad weight has gone bye-bye.

Have my pt session today since my dd had a dr. appt yesterday so I am excited to tell her the great news.

Mary

Arielluria
02-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm in! Does it have to be UFOs or do WIPs count??? :hug:

I have to lose at least 30, preferably 40 lbs. I'm a size 10 but 165 lbs and it's affecting my health.

Currently I have OTN: Oblique cardigan, plain socks, Lionbrand's Comfort Shawl, Touch of Whimsy Scarf, a dog sweater I am designing and probably one or 2 other things I can't think of right now. They're all on my Ravelry page..........I'm Arielluria on Ravelry (http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Arielluria).:waving:

ArtLady1981
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
You go girl! Lose that weight, use that yarn! :thumbsup:

I've lost 20# with WW the past 13 weeks. Ida lost more if it was good walkin' weather! (aka: excercise!)

Arielluria
02-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Here's a tip for losing weight..........start knitting something NOW one or two sizes smaller than you are......like a cardigan or something fitting & which will take lots of work. I'm making Veronik Avery's Oblique (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATToblique.html), it's a fitted lace cardigan.

Then, each time you think of cheating, think of that cardi you are putting all the work into that you WANT to fit into in a few months ;)........that helps me a lot.
:flirt:

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
i weighed myself tonight.... 295!! which means i broke the 300 mark and got out of the 310-320 range that i've been stuck at for a few weeks!

i also made a stop at walmart and checked out sizes in the baby section... they seem to have gotten so much bigger now! The purpose (NO! i am NOT pregnant! thankt he gods! LOL) is because I'm making a baby sweater from Daddy's Little Girl and it looked WAY too long for the 6 month size.... apparently it's not LOL

knittingymnast
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
you go LHFBM! keep losin' that weight!

DQ
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Weigh-in (Saturday) = -2lbs! :woot:

Knitting goals - Not finished any of my WIPs yet, but I've finished the first of my mums socks and am working on sock 2.

Non-scale goals - I've finally been drinking more water and less juice!

knittingymnast
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
yay DQ! good job!

mommydearest
02-11-2008, 07:47 PM
How is everyone doing? This thread has been pretty quiet the last few days. Come on everyone we need to do this together. Don't give up this very important lifestyle change.

I weigh in tomorrow and I'm looking forward to seeing what weight I can say goodbye to. Even if it's only a little weight I know I'm doing well. I was measured last Friday and I've lost 12" since mid Dec, 2007. I've lost 16 pounds as well so I'm very happy with my progress so far. I go to the gym 5-6 times per week and also walk/jog with my ds in the evening if it's not too late. I'm training for a 5k (3mi) walk/run Easter weekend and I can't believe the difference two weeks make.

Hope to "hear" from you guys. Please don't give up!

Mary

knittingymnast
02-11-2008, 07:49 PM
yay Mommydearest! good for you on losin' that weight!

Piratedogmama
02-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Hello! I haven't checked in for a few weeks but am back. I have finished the capri pants I was knitting and crocheting for my DD.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Gauerkefamily/DSC_0071.jpg

:woot:

I have been knitting and sewing up a storm but it has been hard to get to the gym lately....snow, below zero temps, dd had croup then got a resp. infection and ear infection. I have been staying on track just not losing anything but not gaining either. I need a swift kick! I am going to the gym Tues., Thurs. and Sat. this week. Hope everyone has a great week! Next week I hope to be two pounds lighter!!!

mommydearest
02-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Michele: I love the pants and undies? They are so cute. Do you have a pattern for the undies or wing it.

You'll get to the gym. I have faith in you!!! Keep your gym bag in the car if you need to for those days that you have an extra 45 min and just go - don't think about it. 30 min of cardio is all you need but if you have the extra time for strength training just do it. Or do those at home and do cardio at the gym.

I will post weigh in in just a few minutes when I get dressed.
Mary

mommydearest
02-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok. Here goes my weight loss: -3.5 lbs:woot:

Knitting: After I finished the 2 beanies and my wrist warmers, which I absolutely LOVE, I haven't done anything else yet. I decided to do some reading which I haven't done in a while. So I'm taking a week off. As soon as I'm done with my current book I will doing another (maybe several) beanie.

NSV: Starting to need new pants as they are getting too loose. Buying cheap until I reach my goal weight.

Mary

knittingymnast
02-13-2008, 08:58 AM
yay mommydearest! :woot:

Piratedogmama
02-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the encouragement mommydearest! That is a great idea about keeping a gymbag ready to go! The capris are my own pattern, first try and made up as I go but the other items in the picture are from Mile High Monkeys. It is their cover/pull up trainer pattern for cloth diapering and potty learning. My plan is to attach two snaps in back and make a snap in soaker pad to catch any accidents for when DD starts potty learning. She can just pull them up and down like pull ups and still be protected. Probably TMI....:teehee: . Have a great day!!!

kellycarr05
02-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm in, I need to lose 80 pounds and have several UFO's!!! I am also doing a biggest loser couples weight challenge with my parents.....maybe that will help. Only one problem I work at at great tea shop that sells great chocolates. I will have to stay away from that section.
Good Luck Everyone!!!:cheering: :cheering:

mommydearest
02-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Lost .5 pounds since last week for a total of 20 lbs since New Years Day. I still have 90 to go.

Not getting discouraged since muscle factors in and I know my clothes are getting way too big on me. Went through my drawers yesterday and will be getting rid of about 1/3 of my clothes. Lucky for me I have clothes in various sizes, of course some of these are still too small - so far :wink: I will fit in these soon enough.

Finally started on another beanie yesterday. Haven't knitted in about 2 weeks since I decided to take a break and do some reading. My books were lonely.:shrug:

I'm doing great with my cardio and still training for a 5k walk/jog over Easter weekend. I am so proud of myself for how far I've come in such a short time.

Hope to hear from y'all - looks like a lot of you dropped out. It doesn't matter if you fell off the wagon, you can start again. Remember you are doing this for YOU!

Mary