PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Opinion on This WIP Please - UPDATED PHOTO - Still Need Advice

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
I need some advice.

I just cast on for this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/planetjanet/1545722053/) pattern, but I don't think that my project is looking much like the pattern's photo.

Here's a photo of what I've done so far...two repeats.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2177/2149541093_7b3b6f6d99.jpg

I'm confident that I've done the pattern correctly, and I'm using laceweight yarn, but it almost seems too..."airy?" for the pattern.

Please advise. I don't want to continue if it's not going to turn out right.

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Lace is supposed to be loose and airy, and doesn't show the pattern well until it's blocked which will also even out the stitches.. You could experiment and go down a needle size and see if it looks better to you.

vaknitter
12-30-2007, 07:38 PM
I am famous for casting on and not liking things and ripping them out. In fact my husband sees me do this so much that he laughs at me everytime I start a new project. So I resolved to make myself knit at least 6-10 inches before I frog. I feel like that gives the pattern a chance to show-up - your work so far looks lovelyb and the color is wonderful. Maybe you need to get further along so that it pulls in and tightens up a little - kind of like with ribbing and cables.?

knitpurlgurl
12-30-2007, 07:39 PM
The picture actually looks as though the yarn is a bit heavier than what you are using. The pattern looks the same, but the weight of the yarn will change it slightly.

Spikey
12-30-2007, 07:40 PM
I think it looks quite a bit like the smaller WIP photo they have posted. It will be beautiful!

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 07:45 PM
The picture actually looks as though the yarn is a bit heavier than what you are using. The pattern looks the same, but the weight of the yarn will change it slightly.

You know...I was thinking the same thing. It does look thicker, although the picture supposedly used Mmmmm, lace weight.

I'm concerned that when blocking, it's going to stretch even more, causing stitches to lose their definition.

I do appreciate all of the warm responses though. Y'all are truly the best! :muah:

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 07:48 PM
Ok. So here's another thought. What if I doubled the yarn? Would that make a difference? How would I go about doing that? pull from both ends?

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 07:54 PM
If you have only the one skein, you'd knit with both ends. But you need larger needles and more yarn. If you have 2 or more skeins, knit 1 strand from each.

Abbily
12-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Can you try blocking the bit you've done so far, to see what happens? Then if you still don't like it, you can frog it...

Yup, you can double the yarn by pulling from both ends. Just make sure you'll have enough yarn.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 07:59 PM
Hmmm...i have 850 yards of yarn. pattern calls for 470. would be close, eh?

WildMountainHoney
12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
I'm a fairly loose knitter, and no way would lace weight on size 4s by me look anything like the pattern link. I would have to go down needle sizes.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Ok. I'll try size 3's. We'll see how it goes. Thank you!

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Will going down to 3's be enough? Or should I use 2's? Will it make enough of a difference?

fibrenut
12-30-2007, 08:25 PM
auburn,
for some reason her yarn looks a little bit thicker than yours???
That could be the prob right there. Definitely go down a size in needle and see if that helps ya at all.

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Maybe not. In using larger needles you may want to cut down on the number of sts to cast on. The pattern is in multiples of 18 plus 2 sts, so you can see what gauge you get on the larger ones with the yarn doubled and adjust.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Suz,

What do you suggest...go down in needles or double up? I'm not sure how to improvise the pattern...

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 08:55 PM
You can go either way. It may be that you're a looser knitter, so going down a size would work out. If you double the yarn, you could try it on a size 8 or 9 and CO 38 sts for only 2 pattern repeats instead of 3. Try both and see which you like better.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 09:02 PM
So you would go up to an 8 from a 4 if the yarn is doubled?

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
It's a thought, maybe only 7s. I've knit tripled laceweight on size 10.5s, and one strand of lace with a strand of fingering on 7mm and they came out nice. But with this pattern you'll just have to experiment.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Ok. Thought you had a crystal ball there...I'm not very patient.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Cristy
12-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey Auburn,
I think your work is beautiful as is but I swear that yarn in the pic isn't lace weight unless it is quadrupled! Let us know how it turns out!

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Also the patterns I used the big needles on weren't really lacy lacy ones, not quite as open as this one.

auburnchick
12-30-2007, 11:35 PM
What I've done is cast on again on size 2 dpns, since I discovered that I don't have size 2 options interchngeables. I did not want to mess with the pattern, and I thought that maybe going down two sizes would tighten up the stitches.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cristy, thanks for the nice compliment. :muah:

Cristy
12-30-2007, 11:39 PM
np. Don'tcha hate that...when are they going to start making options below a size 4?!?!? :tap::hair:

suzeeq
12-30-2007, 11:42 PM
No 3s huh? Let us know how it goes...

fibrenut
12-31-2007, 12:18 AM
cristy,
that's what I said, I knew I wasn't seein stuff when the flickr pic yarn looked thicker than the lace weight auburn was using. Hmmm, could be that one manufacturers lace weight is another manufacturers sport or even dk. I guess that's why every one is always hollerin, "gauge, gauge, gauge....:thumbsup: :knitting:
Personally, auburn I like the laciness of a finer yarn knitted in a bigger gauge for lace anyway. Makes is sooo wispy n light n airy!!! More delicate!! Personally, I like yours better anyway is more lacy!!!

suzeeq
12-31-2007, 01:01 AM
True, some laceweights can be thicker or thinner than others, and the same holds true for other labels - DK, worsted. You just have to figure out what you have and how best to use it in a pattern.

Cristy
01-01-2008, 01:31 PM
yep yep yep. I know this all too well...:( It always amazes me to look through the drawers of my yarn cart at the different "weights" that are supposed to be the same!

suzeeq
01-01-2008, 02:11 PM
You must have some really thin laceweight; I worked up the pattern in some scrap knitpicks lace yarn on size 9s. Didn't look quite as loose as yours. Or maybe you knit much more loosely than I do, though I'm not a tight knitter. Did you use the size 4 needles too?

auburnchick
01-01-2008, 02:37 PM
You know...I've always been a tight knitter. Then I switched to Continental, and my knitting loosened up quite a bit. I'm finding that I can get gauge on the needles recommended in the pattern.

So, I used size 4, like the pattern suggests.

I haven't had much time to work on it since recasting it on the size 2, though.

I have a feeling that this yarn is just not ideal for the pattern. If not, I'll just have to find something else to make with it. It's such beautiful yarn...

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok...wise knitters...here's the latest photo. I cast on again, using size 2 dpns. I finished two repeats, as before, but I'm still not sure if it's turning out right.

I've got a good mind to give up on this pattern...save it for when I have the proper yarn.

So, two questions remain...

1) Should I totally frog...size 2 needles and a scarf? Will take forever! Plus, yarn seems too light for the project.

2) Do you have any suggestions for a pattern for this gorgeous yarn?

Oh, here's the picture:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2280/2160153964_f6f30fb113.jpg

Jan in CA
01-02-2008, 07:47 PM
It's going to be beautiful! Lace needs blocking to look it's best so you could block the little bit you have to see how it looks then.

scout52
01-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I think it looks pretty. before you give up try blocking what you have to see if the yarn blooms. it may bloom up nicely and you won't have to frog

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 08:22 PM
It's going to be beautiful! Lace needs blocking to look it's best so you could block the little bit you have to see how it looks then.

Ok. You're suggesting that I block it to see how it looks that way? How should I do this. It barely fits on the dpns.

Thanks, y'all. I feel like such a newbie! :muah:

Sanibelle
01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
I think it is beautiful... do not give up on it - you will love it when it is done.

I don't think you can block it till you are done with it... but have a little faith... it will be awesome!

chrislt8
01-02-2008, 09:03 PM
I think this will be lovely! I do like it more on the smaller needles and think it will block very nicely. Don't give up on it!!

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
You know...y'all are just the best. I'll probably just keep at it. I can't seem to find another pattern to use with the yarn...unless I made another branching out...which calls for equally light yarn. But, after making two of those, I'm kind of branched-out, so-to-speak.

The yo's are much smaller than before, so the leaf appearance is more defined, when you look at it properly. It was kind of hard to get the picture to show that.

Thanks again! :muah:

kayrun
01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
just out of curiosity, what brand of yarn are you using?
You said you have 800 or so yards?
and how much does that skein weigh?
I looked up the Malabrigo, and it comes in a 50g skein of 470 yds.

I do like what you are doing on the tiny needles, but you are right, it may take you awhile! (LOL)

robynbird
01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I think it's beautiful but if you want it to look just like the original, you would probably need to use malabrigo lace.

auburnchick
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
just out of curiosity, what brand of yarn are you using?

It's Verde Manzana lc (http://handpaintedyarn.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Verde+Manzana+ lc&osCsid=3e3268d28aa8e294638dacf7bf146661&x=0&y=0) from handpaintedyarn.com. It's 100% wool, with 850 yards per skein (I have one skein).

suzeeq
01-02-2008, 11:15 PM
It looks better than the first try; do block it and I think you'll be really surprised how it evens out. You can put the sts on a thread and block it that way if the needles aren't long enough to spread it out.