PDA

View Full Version : HOW LONG CAN YOU KNIT?

dusty
01-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I was wondering what the average length of time is for knitting without getting tired. I find I can onlly knit for about 45 minutes to an hour and then I have to stop. I would like to go longer but I find I get tired easily.

boo1
01-01-2008, 01:48 PM
1) if the pattern is mindless, I can go for a while BUT it makes me sleepy. 30-40 minutes?

2) if the pattern requires attention, I have to knit in short spurts or I'll start making errors.

But either way, I tend to pick it up again relatively soon. I hate sitting still and doing nothing.

suzeeq
01-01-2008, 02:16 PM
It's good to take a break and not knit continuously for hours. If you don't stop and move around every little bit, you can end up with tendonitis or an RSI.

Rhea
01-01-2008, 02:28 PM
When i'm doing mindless knitting in front of the TV time flies. I can get through several shows before stopping.

With difficult patterns though I can only work for about half an hour before I need a break, like Boo1 said, i'll start messing up.

Knitting_Guy
01-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I take frequent breaks. I tend to knit in relatively short spurts, usually 10 - 15 minutes at a time and then set it down for a couple of minutes to allow my tendons and fingers a break. Avoids the risk of repetitive motion problems.

vaknitter
01-01-2008, 02:40 PM
If puppies are sleeping and the hubby is occupied I can knit for a couple of hours. I typically have more than one project going at a time so I can go for an hour or so on a prayer shawl (somewhat mindless) and then switch to my Irish Hiking Scarf (more counting) for 30-45 min. I did knit on/off for an 8 hr car ride to and from NY for Christmas.
I have noticed as I get more comfortable knitting I can go for longer periods of time.

bip
01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
About 6 hours. And then after a short break, 6 more hours. Gosh, why does my body hurt all over? I have had a lot of time off over the holidays, so I have been knitting a lot and my pecs hurt! I wish that meant they were getting buff.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-01-2008, 02:47 PM
if i'm watching a movie and the pattern is mindless, then as long as the movie is (last one was 2 hours).. same goes for car trips where dh is driving (i make him nervous when i knit in the car LOL)

if it's a complicated pattern, until i get frustrated with it or keep making the same mistake and then i set it down, grab a drink, stretch, etc.....

The.Knitter
01-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I try to force myself to stop about once every hour to stretch out and walk around a bit. This way I prevent repetitive motion troubles. It does not have to be for long, a couple of minutes will do and then back to the knotting I go. Having said that, when I am marathon knitting, I have been known to sit and knit for 8 hours at a stretch if I am trying to meet a deadline. I DO NOT advise this!

redheadrachel
01-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I go for several hours at a time. I'm learning to take breaks though, becuase in the past couple weeks, I've started knitting so tightly and keeping such a death grip on my needles that my right ring finger actually goes numb...
And I'm only 20. So I'm really learning to take breaks and also try and loosen my hold.

GinnyG
01-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I've been knitting today for 7 hours straight, I take a break about once an hour to get a drink, check my email or stretch. I could knit all day and night if I had nothing else to do.

Newbie2Knitting
01-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I can knit for a *long* time if I had nothing else to do. I tend to be one of those people that tells themselves, "Ok, I'll stop when I get to this point in the pattern." Then once I get there, it's like, "Well, since I'm this far, I'll just knit to *this* part of the pattern since it's not that much to get there." It goes on and on like this. I do this with a lot of areas in my life, though...:aww:

suzeeq
01-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I have had a lot of time off over the holidays, so I have been knitting a lot and my pecs hurt! I wish that meant they were getting buff.

Yikes no. They're getting too contracted which means pretty soon you'll get a burning sensation between your shoulder blades. To stretch out your pecs, stand in a doorway with your arms out and bent up at the elbows, forearms resting on the doorjamb. Lean your body through the doorway and hold it a minute and feel the pecs stretch. Another one that feels good is to lie on floor, put your arms out to the side and bend your elbows like above. They should look like this - |__0__| Hold it there and relax a couple minutes. You get even more stretch if your head, neck and upper shoulders are on a folded towel or blanket so your arms can drop down to the floor more.

bip
01-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Suzeeq, I've been doing that stretch (shoulda started BEFORE it started hurting though!) Also, DH offered to massage them which actually really helped, even though I don't think that was his main concern :roflhard:

suzeeq
01-01-2008, 05:19 PM
A good rub never hurts anyone! ;)

Jaxhil
01-01-2008, 06:13 PM
ROFLOL-sounds like my hubby's idea of helping :teehee:

laptop_knitter
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
It's because I have nothing else to do that I can go for so long - I wake at about 10am, and knit solid from then til about 10pm. Once I start my home learning it'll change, obviously, but for now I'm just keeping myself occupied.

becjo
01-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I can knit longer with bigger needles - but small needles for socks - I can only do about 15 minute spurts. I have nerve damage in my shoulder that affects my hands so I wish I could knit longer than I do. Oh well - small doses are better than no doses!

mdog182
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
i worry about the same thing! sometimes after i've been knitting, for not that long even, i do notice my right arm will start to feel sore. i'm 22 and i worry about the stress this will cause over time.
And I'm only 20. So I'm really learning to take breaks and also try and loosen my hold.

brendajos
01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
wow I am a little surprised by this thread. I figured I was one of the few who couldn't just sit and knit straight without stopping. Even when I am watching a movie I will put the work down for a few minutes while I watch. I get very easily distracted. The only time I sit and knit for long stretches of time is when I can see the end of a project. The problem is that it ALWAYS takes me longer to finish it than I think it will. And that is because I get easily distracted...lol. So, anyway, the most I can go without having to stop, or getting distracted is about 15 minutes.

It used to bug me that people put out so much more knitting than I did. I figured I should be getting faster... then I realized that I have but that I DO get distracted by other stuff pretty easily. And I also realized that it reeeeeeally doesn't matter how fast I put stuff out. I don't promise gifts to people for that very reason. I can knit at my own pace and not worry about disappointing someone. I gift almost everything I make, but it is more of a surprise because I did it when I was good and ready...lol

scout52
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I can knit for several hours if i am watching tv and the pattern is not too complicated. but if the pattern is complicated i tend to take breaks to make sure there are no mistakes. I knit ALOT over 4-day weekend. i basically woke up had breakfast, turn the tv on and began knitting. took breaks to eat or play Wii. It was such a nice break from work.

Plantgoddess+
01-02-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm an intermittent knitter. Sometimes I go for several hours at a time, but mostly it's 15 minutes to half an hour at a go in between cleaning and taking care of animals and of course visiting here.

Kels Joy.
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM
it depends on what kind of project i'm working on. if it's something that requires mind power, it can keep me busy for hours at a time as long as nothing else comes up. but if it's mindless and easy, i tend to get bored and take breaks every 20 minutes or so.

knitgal
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Generally I knit for short periods of time, about 30-60 minutes. Sometimes I knit for hours and hours on end, like today. I think I knit for about 5 hours? I do take breaks though. Sometimes, when I'm knitting dishcloths especially, my wrists hurt. I had carpal tunnel damage as a child and even at 22 I'm aware that this hurting could mean future troubles if I'm not careful.

Louisa
01-03-2008, 02:35 PM
If my husband leaves me alone I can go for hours. But I'm like others that is usually is in front of the tv. However, lately my DH has been getting fedup that I"m not doing anything helpful and so guilts me into doing other stuff. Maybe I can chock that up to being easily distracted? If I were truely committed I could just tune him out!

rachejm
01-03-2008, 03:09 PM
I generally knit for an hour or two but with regular 5 minute breaks. I knit watching the tv or dvds so I knit about 2 or 3 rows and then put it down for a few minutes before picking it back up again. I have a short attention span unless I'm doing something new, my first sock I did for about an hour at a time without putting it down.

Rorshach
01-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I usually knit for about 90 minutes before taking a break. Though it depends on the project I'm working on. I'll either knit for 90 minutes or go until x pattern repeats. Unfortunately, I can't knit all day even if I want to. So a little each day helps get things done.

lelvsdgs
01-03-2008, 03:24 PM
I can knit for long periods of time, but I've never really timed myself. I get lost in it as it is a great source of comfort, stress release and satisfaction for me. I try to put it down periodically but haven't made a real conscious effort to do so. The cat needs letting out, dinner needs to get done or I get on the computer, those are the things that are breaks for me.

I work with the public all day long and the knitting is a way for me to regain some peace. (wow, this is sounding really flaky...) I do occasionally overdo it but I think my problem with hand issues is due more to my constant computer usage at work. (like now :) ) Breaks are a good habit to get into and reading this thread has made me more aware of needing to take them.

dawnk777
01-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I can probably knit for a couple of hours, if I have the time! LOL! However, between jobs, making meals and my dog needing to go potty, makes sure I never sit all that long! I like going to the knit nights, at the local LYS, since there are fewer distractions! Some nights are pretty chatty and other nights people are quieter and knitting more! LOL!

Crycket
01-03-2008, 05:05 PM
I guess it would depend on what I am knitting. Stamina wise, I have gone all day, but those days, I usually put myself out of commission for a few days.

Generally, I will knit and hour or two, stop for a half hour, rinse, repeat....

knitpurlgurl
01-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I would love to knit for hours, but after about an hour, my elbow hurts and my neck is stiff. I must really knit funny. Plus I tend to curl up and knit and my knees ache after sitting for an hour like that. So usually, 30 - 60 minutes at a time.

Braden
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I can usually knit for about 2 hours at a time, but then my hands and fingers start to hurt.

Cristy
01-03-2008, 09:17 PM
I could probably knit indefinately if the pattern was interesting and I wasn't interrupted. Finding the right pattern is do-able but no interruptions??? I have two kids....
My knitting tends to go in bursts of about 30 minutes--typically at night after the kids are in bed (although I admit that kh eats up some of that time too) or when in doctor's offices, etc.

remclave
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Hmmm. I've never really thought about it. I'm probably average. (30 to 45 minutes with a few minutes break in between.