PDA

View Full Version : It's COLD!

Silver
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
It's currently 29 degrees here. In FLORIDA. We had a high of 44 today, and it'll be cold again tomorrow!

I got to wear my Palindrome set today. Outside! And socks! And a sweater!!! And the best part is, I didn't look like a dork wearing all that knitted stuff!:woohoo:

Why yes, I AM easily amused. :eyebrow2:

boo1
01-03-2008, 12:06 AM
and I'm in south Louisiana.

That is TOOOOOOO cold!

Rorshach
01-03-2008, 12:06 AM
Sounds like Global warming in action, :lol: And there's nothing wrong with being easily amused. But shoot, 29 degrees in Florida? is that with, or without the humidity factored in?

Silver
01-03-2008, 12:09 AM
That's without the humidity. With, it FEELS like 17 degrees.

This is totally weird. I swear, it was 80 degrees like 5 days ago.

fibrenut
01-03-2008, 12:14 AM
k just a little hint for all you southern belles n gents. Turn your water on so that it drips just a wee bit and open the bottom door of your bathroom sink cabinet so that your pipes won't freeze. Ya'll don't want to wake up to a flood of biblical proportions in yer house.
Just a wee tip from one of them that live in the antartic regions of colorado lol.

figaro
01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_63.gif

I just checked the weather online (you think I am going out there?) and it says it is 17 and with the wind chill it is 6!! It was real windy today, but this weekend it is supposed to jump up to the 40's and 50's! Nice little warm spell there...

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 01:01 AM
It's cold in Charlotte too. 17 degrees today, and the wind was cutting right through me when I was going from my car into homes to teach piano lessons. I wore my big winter coat, and had to actually wear the hood. Made me laugh out loud.

misha rf
01-03-2008, 01:11 AM
My computer says it's 16 outside right now. No idea about the wind chill. Earlier today, I went out without the coat--had on a heavy sweatshirt & a scarf. But tonight? Got out the heavy-duty coat for the trip out for dinner. The cats don't want to sleep on the sun porch tonight--too cold out there!

ladyjessica
01-03-2008, 01:15 AM
I'm in MD up in the mountains, and it's 12 degrees with 25 mph winds. I took the dogs out earlier without my hat and after about 5 minutes I literally could not feel my ears. It's cooooold. hehe.

Rorshach
01-03-2008, 02:02 AM
wow, 80 degrees to 29? that's quite a cold snap. Well, do yer best to keep warm, Silver. Hopefully warm weather will come again soon.

alleusion
01-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Ahhh, currently, it is a balmy 3 degrees F. New Year's day it was -8 F (that would have been about -22 C according to the weather site I went to). The kids and I were out and about yesterday because it wasn't as cold as the day before, but yet I think the liquid in my eyeballs still froze.

This from the California girl who is used to it being about 60-75+ right now.

Silver
01-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, I love this treat of cold weather. I know it's no picnic when you live it months at a time, but it's so rare here, I do appreciate it when it happens. It would be even sweeter if we were treated with some snow, but there's no precip on radar. :verysad: (BUT, we'll be in Ohio the weekend after next for a mini ski trip so we WILL be playing in the snow soon enough!:cheering:)

But... just one night of freezing temps can be completely devastaing to local farmers. Orange trees will have certainly frozen last night if farmers didn't take extreme precautions. A frozen orange is a worthless orange and we are having freezing temps for 10 to 12 straight hours. It's still only 25 here this morning. :eyebrow2:

Songbirdy
01-03-2008, 09:42 AM
I hear you, last night I was so cold!

I too don't mind near freezing temperatures. But last night was -22 C or -7F (I think I read some one posted that conversion, how lucky am I!).

I normally have 3 quilts, 1 thermal blanket, and 1 other blanket on our bed. Last night I added a double Queen sized sleeping bag and both my children crawled in with me because they were too cold as well. Then we all slept.

I love wearing layers but can't do that with regular fall weather around here. I enjoy a slight cold. Occasionally I can appreciate 'sucking your breath in cold.' But I hate 'I can't sleep I'm so cold' cold!

[btw, I'm in Ontario, but farther south than several Michiganders]

bethany
01-03-2008, 09:46 AM
my mom is in FL too and she took in the herbs and poinsettias and all, and I saw a headline that farmers were icing the oranges over...definitely chilly there! But I'm in MI and have to take the kiddos out in the snow and I have no snow pants for me....brrr! Cold knees! Need knee warmers! :)I think a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and a nice pile of yarn sounds so much better!

knitgal
01-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Enjoy it while it lasts Silver! I can see how cold weather would be fun when you don't get much of it, especially if you're a knitter. Maybe you can come visit us up here in Canada and enjoy the cold weather???
I just left Manitoba, where my parents are living, and the day I left it was -24.5 (celsius) which is -12 (or so- fahrenheit). It's not so bad here in Southern Ontario. Today it's -13 (celsius) which is about 8 degrees fahrenheit.

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 10:33 AM
I remember another colder winter we had here in Charlotte. It was the day of my first wedding. I guess that God was warning me. :teehee: It was 12 degrees.

HollyP
01-03-2008, 10:37 AM
It's 24 here today with a high of 32.This is the first real cold we've had. On Christmas eve it was 79. This past week it's been in the high 60's My poor dog hasn't really gotten his winter coat yet as it's been so warm. Needless to say our trips out to potty are quick!

msoebel
01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
BRRR! It's was -10F here this morning when we were leaving for work. It will warm up to about 19F. We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. East of us, they have 24 inches! But, we live in Michigan, so we're used to stupid winters like this.:teehee:

kbagel
01-03-2008, 11:13 AM
You guys in Canada are scaring me! I'm headed to Calgary for a week on Tuesday. I wasn't too worried originaly, I grew up in Detroit and now live in NYC, but now I'm totally freaked out. Oh well, I guess I'll have to whip up an extra thick hat this weekend. :shrug:

cindycactus
01-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I am in North Florida along the Gulf coast and it was 26F here this morning. We went for our usual coffee katch at 7am and at the resturant there was a car parked in front with a Maine tag which was covered with ice. Even icicles hanging from the bumper. :passedout: The wind is blowing 25 to 30 today. A good day to cover up and stay inside. Supposed to go up in the 40's this afternoon. Yeah!!!:knitting:

Sanibelle
01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
It is cold here too... it was 11 while I was driving to work this AM.... high today will be 22. I don't mind the cold though as long as it does not snow... I hate driving in snow more than anything....

cdjack
01-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I live in North Texas and it was 18 here overnight. It was 26 this morning. It's supposed to warm up to the mid 40's this afternoon.
And, then is going to be near 70 this weekend. I really wish the weather could just pick a season and stick with it!

fibrenut
01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Aww man, It's been downright frigid here. right now it's 13*f and the low was like -2 it's been that way for the last week n a half, actually since December started. It's gotten down to I think it was -13 last week and that's without windchill figgered in. In Gunnison this past Sunday it got to -49 with the windchill figgered in. It's c-c-c-c-c-c-c-o-o-o-o-lld everywhere!!!! Dang!!!

auburnchick
01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Yep...I'm in FL too. It's pretty darned cold...for us, that is.

My daughter was at Disney playing in a soccer tournament. Yesterday, she had an 8:00am game. Dh said that it was FREEZING! They were playing a team from MN, but even they were cold. Guess it was unexpected weather...coming to FL to get away from the cold. :teehee:

knitncook
01-03-2008, 12:48 PM
:woohoo: Finally some cold weather in Florida!! I've been all excited about getting to wear my hat and mittens I made this fall (the Hermione bauble and cable mittens and hat from Charmed Knits) I'm also wearing my scarf and my socks and my Norwegian wool sweater. We get silly here in the south when the temperatures drop. I woke up this morning at 21F with a wind chill factor of FIVE!!! I actually consented and turned the heater on last evening. Something I haven't done in three years!!

I'm just giddy!! :woot: We Floridians don't get to play dress up in our wool knits for long nor often!

knitncook
01-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love this treat of cold weather. I know it's no picnic when you live it months at a time, but it's so rare here, I do appreciate it when it happens. It would be even sweeter if we were treated with some snow, but there's no precip on radar. :verysad: (

They were saying in the news that there were snow flurries in Daytona Beach. Uh, road trip? :cool:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
When I went to bed last night, the temp was -8 and with the wind chill it "felt" like -21.

illinois sucks. :grrr:

Jan in CA
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Holy crap people, that's cold! We got down into the upper 30's at night a few weeks ago, but that's not too unusual for winter nites here. I do love it when it gets cold in winter though. I'm a California girl and our weather is boring. :evil:

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 02:51 PM
This morning, I went to work out at the gym with my hubby. When we were leaving the house, I grabbed the pink alpaca hat I knit recently, as well as my big coat with a hood. He was wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, and a light jacket.

I told him, "Honey, it's cold outside!" But, he acted like he was Mr. Tough Guy. :roll:

Whatever.....

I went to the computer, and grabbed the down comforter I usually use there. Then I walked to the car, with my hood up over my head, and the blanket in my arms. When I got in my seat, I put the blanket over my legs, and scrunched up real tight. It was COZY!

My hubby acted like he was okay, but I could see him shivering. :teehee:

I told him that I felt like I was going on a sleigh ride.

Then, I noticed that he didn't have the heat turned on. Weird.

So, I turned it on, and we finally got warm.

I am DEFINITELY a southerner.

monzogary
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't want to hear how "cold" it is in Florida!! It got below 0 F here last night, was 1 F when I got up this morning, and has been a high of 16 so far today. I refuse to go out more than to get the mail and let dogs in & out lol. I haven't even factored in any wind chill yet either. BBBRRRRR!!
Oh, and we got a foot of snow for New Year's.

Shandeh
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I used to date a guy who grew up in the Illinois, Iowa area. He told me LOTS of stories of cold weather. I would NEVER want to live up there! You guys are a LOT tougher than I could ever be.

spectorkitty
01-03-2008, 03:29 PM
It's 1 degree where I am in Vermont right now, with a feels like of -12...

trust me, it feels like -12.

The high is supposed to be 3, with an overnight low of -5.

I hate cold.

Sharly
01-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Here in central Alabama, it was 18 degrees F this morning when I left for work! I'm with Silver, though, I'd love to see some of the white stuff! The best thing is the city just closes down because everyone is in a panic and we all stay home if there is snow!!

I'm really worried about the animals, though. There are so many here who don't get treated to warm houses like my brood does. Heck, I don't even like for the cows to be out in this weather!

I don't want to hear how "cold" it is in Florida!! It got below 0 F here last night, was 1 F when I got up this morning, and has been a high of 16 so far today.

Monzogary, we'll be glad to send you some of our 102 degree days next summer! :) Really though, take care and try to stay as warm as possible!!

stitchwitch
01-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Figures it would freeze when we leave. I have 10 frozen palms and numerous frozen dead tropicals. Luckily, a good friend/neighbor brought my orchids in. Normally, when it looks like it's going to be a cold one we cover up the planties and put out heaters. I'll have some work cut out for me when we get home.
Anyway, I'm in Tennessee, it was 4 this morning when we got up and warmed up to a balmy 17. We're estatic and have been walking around the mountain stomping in the snow, wearing our winter stuff. :happydance: I even got the chance to make a snowman!!!:happydance:

bethany
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Holy crap people, that's cold! We got down into the upper 30's at night a few weeks ago, but that's not too unusual for winter nites here. I do love it when it gets cold in winter though. I'm a California girl and our weather is boring. :evil:

I'm thinking your weather isn't so boring after all the wind and storms today...I hope everyone in CA is ok?!?

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-05-2008, 02:50 AM
and turn off the water to the outside fawcet too... you don't want your basement to flood.

Silver
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
We don't have a basement, or any exposed pipes. But DH insists on dripping the kitchen sink when it freezes, so no worries there.

When I was little, my dad learned the hard and valuable lesson about wrapping your exposed pipes and letting them drip. We woke up one morning to an inch of water throughout the house. :help: Um.. that wasn't any fun.