PDA

View Full Version : An Invitation to KAL a lace shawl

PrisKnits
01-07-2008, 12:33 PM
I have had numerous difficulties getting into the Lion Brand website to get one of their free patterns this morning, but I was victorious at long last and invite you to click on my blog to look at the photos and pattern, but here is the pattern to whet your appetite (quite simple really)

WRAP
Cast on 89 sts.
Row 1 (wrong side): K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 2: K3, *yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1, yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 3-10: Rep Rows 1 and 2 four times.
Row 11: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 12: K3, *yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 13-20: Rep Rows 11 and 12 four times.
Rep Rows 1-20 until piece measures 80 in. [203 cm] from beg, end with a Row 20. Bind off.
FINISHING
Weave in ends.

GiddyKnitter
01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
I would love to join your shawl KAL. What yarn are you going to use?

PrisKnits
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Pauline,
Well, it's Lion Brand pattern and they recommend Cotton-Ease. I tried it with Cotton-Ease and I personally hated the yarn--it splits something terrible on me. Maybe you'd have better luck with it. I finally found a beautiful yarn that has just the right drape--Berroco Touche'. Please click on my blog below and you'll get the photos and pattern.

GiddyKnitter
01-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi PrisKnits
I have the pattern now thank you...not sure about the yarn though...living here in England we can't always get what you guys have over there! I have emailed my knitting buddy on Kansas to see if she would like to join us and she is away for a couple of weeks then she said she would be happy to KAL with us.x

PrisKnits
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
sounds good-hope you can find some yarn that will work for you. For a shawl, I just wanted to to have drape, but it's quite a long shawl, so the weight of any worsted yarn will probably do. I'll be posting pics on my blog as I progress, and you can leave coments there and I'll be in this forum, too! So far I haven't had any problems, but I DO keep my place marked on the pattern since it changes every 10 rows!

PamJ
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm going to give it a try with Caron Simply Soft. I've been looking for a pretty pattern like this--thank you! Your yarn texture and color are absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to see it progressing. What size needles are you using?

knitpurlgurl
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Count me in! The Berroco yarn you are using - how much is needed?

knitpurlgurl
01-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I am using Caron's Simply Soft as well in Off White. As soon as I get it from JoAnn's, I'll start on it. This would be perfect as a gift for my MIL for her B-Day in March. If I work hard, I can get it done by then!

PamJ
01-10-2008, 07:49 PM
It looks like the pattern calls for 5 balls of Cotton Ease--3.5 oz each--and size 8 needles. I'm guessing Simply Soft will be comparable.

PrisKnits
01-10-2008, 08:17 PM
PamJ--I'm thinking that the length would be comparable but not the weight as cotton is heavier. But I have knit lots of Caron Simply Soft and that will probably make a lovely choice. Post some photos if you can. It knits up much quicker than I thought. Let me know how it goes for you!

PrisKnits
01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi KPG, The Caron Simply Soft should work nicely. I bought 12 skeins of Berroco Touche' as they are sort of small skeins (89 yds and 50 gms). Please post some photos if you can once you get going. I've knit 3 skeins so far (couldn't knit today cuz I had doctor appts all day) :( but i plan on knitting some tonight. However, I have knit enough to start seeing the waves--they are simply lush! Yummy!

PrisKnits
01-10-2008, 08:32 PM
There are a few of us who are knitting the Lace wrap I posted a couple of days ago, but there is still time to get in on the fun. I'm using Berroco Touche', but there are a few using Caron Simply Soft. Someone asked me what size needles--I'm using 8 (5.00mm), but I think it might be really pretty if you used a larger size and got the lace pattern to open up a bit.

Once again, here's this really simple pattern taken from Lion Brand free patterns called "Lace Wrap." Also, click on my blog in my signature to see pics. It's quite pretty and for a lace pattern, it's not difficult, you just have to keep track of which of the two sections you are in. Please join us and please post an tell us howit's going for you!

Lace Wrap
Lion Brand® Cotton-Ease (new)
GAUGE:
16 sts + 20 rows = 4 in. [10 cm] over pattern. BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you less stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

WRAP
Cast on 89 sts.
Row 1 (wrong side): K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 2: K3, *yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1, yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 3-10: Rep Rows 1 and 2 four times.
Row 11: K2, purl to last 2 sts, k2.
Row 12: K3, *yo, k3tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, k3tog, yo, k1; rep from * across to last 2 sts, k2.
Rows 13-20: Rep Rows 11 and 12 four times.
Rep Rows 1-20 until piece measures 80 in. [203 cm] from beg, end with a Row 20. Bind off.
FINISHING
Weave in ends.

PrisKnits
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Hi again PamJ, Forgot to answer your needle size question. I'm using 8 (5mm), but I also think it would be very pretty if larger needles were used--it would probably open up the lace more and be quite pretty. I might even try that after I finish the one I'm doing for myself.

PamJ
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Thank you! I was thinking of trying size 9 or 10 needles. We'll see how it looks. I'm finishing up a scarf and can't wait to get started.

suzeeq
01-10-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm trying it out with some thick scrap yarn and I think I like the pattern. I have some laceweight on its way from KPs; I may combine one of the yarns with a complementary colored fingering yarn I have and do this one. Along with another pattern or two with the other yarn.

PrisKnits
01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
I responded before, but the moderator merged the info which I still don't see. But to answer some questions., I am using 12 skeins of Berroco as they are small - only 89 yds, 50 gms. But as I said earlier, I think using Caron Simply Soft will be very nice. I am using US size 8 (5mm) needles. I've posted new photos on my blog - please check it out! www.prisknits.blogspot.com

Let me know how it's going for any of you who are KAL. As for me, I'm having a great time with it because although it is lace, it is very simple. :knitting:

PamJ
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Oh, your shawl is lovely! The cotton does make a big difference with stitch definition and texture.

So far I've done the first 20 rows and have to concentrate to keep the pattern right. It took me a while to realize that the yo areas have either k3 tog or k 3 on both sides and that it alternates. That has been tricky, but I bet it will get easier as I continue.

I'm doing it on size 10 needles with Simply Soft, and it looks like it's about 18 or 19 inches wide. The color is Dark Country Blue--harder to see what I'm doing. Next time I'll use a lighter color.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll post a picture soon. My daughter has to show me how to do that!

The.Knitter
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Right now I am knitting the Cameo Shell Stitch Shawl on Caron Simply Soft using 10.5 needles. I am 4 rows from starting the final pattern. It is quick and easy. I'll post pictures when I am finished!

knitpurlgurl
01-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I just got my yarn in the mail today. I will probably not cast on until this weekend because I have a horrible schedule this week. I can't wait!!

PrisKnits
02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Good day knitters of the lace wrap!

I wish I could report that I have finished, but it's not to be as I've gotten side-tracked with other projects. You can check out those projects on my blog http://prisknits.blogspot.com/

I still love the pattern, but after awhile it almost puts me to sleep, so I can't knit on it for long. But it is over half-way done and I do love the way it looks.

Please don't ask me to post pictures here as I have the darndest trouble when I try to post pictures on this site. I suspect it is my resolution that is set too high or something.

Anyway, I thought I would just check in and see how everyone else is doing? Let me know, let us all know!

PrisKnits
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Fellow knitters,
Just wanted to let you know that the lace shawl is officially off the needles and I'll be taking a couple of photos of it in the next couple of days. I have trouble posting photos to this site, so check out my blog!

How are y'all doing with the pattern? Anyone else have photos or tidbits to share?

gingerbread
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I have looked at that shawl for a long time. Now with the Kal I am going to give it a try. I don't have any cotton yarn but I have a lot of worsted weight yarns. So here goes and hope for the better.

:waving:

PrisKnits
04-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I have finished it, except for the blocking. I think only the ends will require a little fanning. I've posted photos on my blog. I swear I think I will never be able to post photos on this site, I've tried.

I would love to know how all of you are doing. Any photos of work-in progress?

PamJ
04-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Your wrap turned out so beautifully! The color and texture are really lovely. I was also most interested to hear you have used Microspun for socks. I've wondered for a long time if there was any sock yarn to be found in "regular" stores. (Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann, etc.)

PrisKnits
04-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks PamJ, I am really pleased with it.

And yes, that Microspun is great--feels fabulous on your feet!

I see you are located in Texas--where might you be specifically?

suzeeq
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Hobby Lobby's baby yarn Sweet Delight, is about sock yarn weight. And they're going to be carrying Lion's new Sockease yarn when it comes out.

PamJ
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Excuse my tardiness in replying! I'm in the suburbs just north of Dallas. I was trying to pinpoint your location from the new yarn store you mentioned--near Austin??

Sue, thanks for these additional sock yarn suggestions! Maybe now I'll try socks again. Hobby Lobby once carried Bernat Sox, but I bought navy blue and couldn't see a thing I was trying to do. I'll try it again after successfully making a pair with a lighter color.

I didn't know Lion was coming out with a sock yarn. That's great news!

Any suggestions for what to use for a first try? Did you both learn on your own or take a class?

PrisKnits
04-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi PamJ,
If you are north of Dallas, then you must have been to the Wooly Ewe? I hope to make a trip up your way to visit that store, I've heard it's great.

The new knitting store close to me is Yarnorama in Paige, which is a little town on the road from Austin to Houston. It also has a cafe in it. Maybe you'll make it down here someday.

Yes, the Lion microspun is fabulous, and if you want to knit socks I would recommend taking a class or getting Ann Budd's book. But sometimes you just need to have it in three dimensions and that's why I'd take a class. Socks aren't really hard, but there is alot to wrap your mind around.

Hope you'll knit the lace shawl and post pics.