PDA

View Full Version : Could you do away with dpns?

bethany
01-07-2008, 08:57 PM
By no means am I against dpns--using some for a sock right now, but technically, could you ONLY use circs and magic looping? I'm thinking about it from a purchasing perspective, buy circs or dpns? Would I just end up with both anyways? Especially since the KP Harmony sets are so pretty?

Ingrid
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
You could manage without dpns. I find that although I love working with 2 circs for sleeves and such, sometimes dpn's are just the thing for mittens and socks. If there aren't a lot of stitches, I don't like having to fiddle with extra needles and loops.:shrug: But that's just me.

Quiara
01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I never use anything but circs anymore. I have a drawer full of DPNs, but I never use them. I make everything from toe to top - socks to hats. ^_^

knitqueen
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I don't use dpns either. Magic loop all the way for me!

starburst
01-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I don't know--I think dpns are just easier for me. Maybe if I had KP or another cable that was easier to magic loop with, but since I don't have the Options, I'll stick to dpns. I am, however, considering buying this (http://www.knitpicks.com/Learn+to+Knit+Socks+on+Two+Knit+Circulars+Kit_AD40 041.html) kit which comes with two fixed kp circs.

bethany
01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
oh--nice. Does KP NOT have interchangeable size 2? Or anything smaller than 4? I'll have to look again!?

starburst
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
in the interchangeables they have 4-17s and in the fixed, they have 0-11. I understand that they can't do the interchangeables down to 0, but you would think that they could do the fixed up to 17. Weird

suzeeq
01-07-2008, 11:42 PM
I have 1 set of dpns I bought several ages ago because they were on sale and I wanted to learn how to use them. I do occasionally, but they're in a size I don't use often. Mostly they make good cable needles. I use circs for everything and have duplicates in nearly every size I do use so I can use 2 if ML is too fiddly.

kellyh57
01-08-2008, 01:02 AM
You'll need them for i-cords, won't you? That's a little difficult with ML :)

Kelly

Quiara
01-08-2008, 01:04 AM
You can do an i-cord without DPNs. Say you want a 3-stitch i-cord: knit 3. Swap which hands the needles are in. Knit 3 again. Repeat as necessary. Clumsier, possibly, but I haven't noticed much of a time loss due to not digging out a DPN. ^_^

Rhea
01-08-2008, 01:09 AM
I also much prefer circs. I think dpns are just too much to hold. My boyfriend has promised me the harmony wood set of knitpicks for my birthday and i keep going back to the website just to oogle them. My birthday is in march...

suzeeq
01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
You can do I cord with circs too; they're just a dpn with a cord...

Pudify
01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
I ONLY use Magic Loop :)

I use it in place of things that DPN's are 'supposed' to be for, and it makes ICord just fine as well ;)

:yadda:

Mirl56
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
I could easily do away with straight and dbl pt needles - I can't remember the last time I used them. I make socks & i-cords all the time w/circs.

Yarnlady
01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I never use anything but circs anymore. I have a drawer full of DPNs, but I never use them. I make everything from toe to top - socks to hats. ^_^
I love my DPNs...so...you wanna give yours a new home??? :teehee:

I don't particularly like Magic Loop but use two cirs for fair isle socks and such. I feel so much more connect to past generations of knitters with my DPNs...and it always mystifies muggles! :-P

Debkcs
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Since I feel no need to be connected to generations past, I thoroughly enjoy using two circs or Magic Loop for anything, including i-cords. DPN's are too much to handle, and I love not have to worry about dropping stitches off them.

dustinac
01-08-2008, 09:32 AM
You could manage without dpns. I find that although I love working with 2 circs for sleeves and such, sometimes dpn's are just the thing for mittens and socks. If there aren't a lot of stitches, I don't like having to fiddle with extra needles and loops.:shrug: But that's just me.

I feel the same...although I use magic loop instead of 2 circs...sometimes I think the dpns work better...I haven't used any straight needles though since I got my first interchangeable set :teehee:

Debkcs
01-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I haven't used any straight needles though since I got my first interchangeable set

Exactly, Jan, I should have just waited for you to post!

Spikey
01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't own a single dpn. I have a few Addi turbos from when I first started knitting, and have the KPO and Harmony sets, as well as the smaller fixed options. They are all I need for any project.

I can't remember where I read it (I thought it came from Amy but I can't find the video now), when using two circs you don't need 4 tips of the same size, as long as the needle you are knitting onto is the correct size, you can be knitting off of one a size smaller...

starburst
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I can't remember where I read it (I thought it came from Amy but I can't find the video now), when using two circs you don't need 4 tips of the same size, as long as the needle you are knitting onto is the correct size, you can be knitting off of one a size smaller...

The Denise needles come with a brochure of helpful hints and that was one of the tips on it

MAmaDawn
01-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Yarn lady, I agree! I LOVE knitting with my double points.

If you have any that need a loving home, I'll give them one... :teehee:

Lisa R.
01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
You'll need them for i-cords, won't you? That's a little difficult with ML :)

Kelly

You can do i-cord with circs...you just pull it all the way through...longer than a dpn, but it still works. (I just knitted a work off my circs onto dpns to do i-cord before it occurred to me that it was an unnecessary step).

Plantgoddess+
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I love knitting on dpns. I haven't tried magic loop yet as I don't have any circulars small enough and long enough to try it and I still won't after getting Harmonies. I really enjoy handling all the needles.

Crycket
01-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Although you could do away with DPNs, I am a big fan of mine. I have taken a new found liking to circs over straights, however I like my dpns for socks and small projects.

For me though, I will use two dpns for little projects (like I have a tiny 4 inch bear pattern, as an example) so that I am not using a huge needle for a max of 10 st.

VictoiseC
01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Well I have to agree with you YarnLady/Lizzie! I'm in love with all my dpns! I have many metal, many wood and now some plastic Bryspuns. Sometimes I just dump them all over a coffee table or my desk and leave them there to look at. I love working with them, in fact I have socks on Size 1s and leg warmers on size 7s.

Of course, I never tried the magic loop thing.. I will one day...but I think I'll always use my dpns. You should see the looks I get on the subway!

iza
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
I love my dpns too! :teehee: I think I'm just more used to them. I tried the 2 circs and magic loop, it worked ok, but I wasn't in love with the methods. Maybe with more practise I would get better, but since dpns work fine for me and I'm lazy, I end up just using my dpns all the time. :teehee:

Slybella
01-08-2008, 07:19 PM
I have no problem knitting with my DPN. I haven't actually done magicloop yet but have used a too long circular and just pulled out the extra length of cable every so often. But I have a question in magic loop since the needle with the working yarn end is on just the cable. Can't that stitch get tight since it is on just the cable not the needle keeping it to size?

bethany
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
i did magic loop to finish a hat and didn't have any trouble with that...but the loops were big to start out with. It just slides along like it usually does on circs

cgd
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I never learned to do magic circle, tried a time or two but couldn't get it. OTOH, DPNs make sense to me so I'll stick with them. So far I only need them when decreasing a hat--haven't tackled socks yet.

Mulderknitter
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I got an entire set of bamboo dpns from a person here, and I have to say I LOVE them. There really is something about knitting the way others have always knitted that makes me feel a bit on the "special" side. I am not against learning new and better ways, but I do like the going back to basics thing.

And, if I pull out 5 dpns on the couch next to my DH, I INSTANTLY get more room. Nothing better than that!:roflhard:

starburst
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
I've just walked into dangerous territory--I bought that knitpicks kit for two circ socks. I'm afraid that I'll like the KP needles so much that I'll want the set...EEP!

suzeeq
01-08-2008, 11:52 PM
I have no problem knitting with my DPN. I haven't actually done magicloop yet but have used a too long circular and just pulled out the extra length of cable every so often. But I have a question in magic loop since the needle with the working yarn end is on just the cable. Can't that stitch get tight since it is on just the cable not the needle keeping it to size?

That's how I usually do it since I use shorter needles than you would for ML, so I just do half a loop. I just watch it and don't pull the yarn too tight when I loop out the right needle.

Phaedra
01-08-2008, 11:57 PM
As much as I like circulars for socks, I still would keep my DPNs. Sometimes I use them to knit the heel and then switch back to the circs. for the gusset. I also like them for swatching.

Lighting57
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
I do all of my small circular knitting with the ML method. Haven't used DPN's since I learned. I find it easier and quicker.

KnittinMitchie
01-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I absolutely love my KP Options Nickel Circulars BUT I still use my DPNs. I haven't yet ventured into knitting socks on circluars. I have however mastered Magic Loop. I knitted Sheldon (http://mitchiecanknit.blogspot.com/2008/01/sheldon.html) fron Knitty.com and did the body magic loop.

Silver
01-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I have a full set of straights and a full set of DPNs (well nearly full anyway), and I only use my DPNs when doing a DPN tutorial. Otherwise I use 2 circs for ALL my small diameter knitting.

I have two sets of Options and use them for 99% of my knitting. Best money I ever spent on knitting. IMHO.

(I use my straights only when teaching. Using circulars for flat knitting right out of the box only confuses students.)

redwitch
01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
A circ is actually double-pointed. It is just more flexible. That's what you are doing knitting in the round on 2 circs, you are knitting with 2 dpns that are more flexible than the usual little ones. You could knit with 4 or 5 circs the way you do with 4 or 5 DPNs.
A circ is more fiddly for Icord but of course works. DPNs can be nice stitch holders or cable needles where appropriate. Circs to of course, but far more awkwardly.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Yep, gone. I could do away with straights too. I use circs for everything.

KnittingNat
01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
I use ML for some projects, like Fetching for example, but I have the KP DPN set and i'll definitely use it for socks. I like knitting with both :)

Plantgoddess+
01-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I think this thread shows that just as some knitters prefer continental style, others prefer english. Some of us prefer dpns and others circular. It doesn't really matter in the end which you choose, just what feels most comfortable and enjoyable for you.

bethany
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
So I see! I was just trying to get a feel for which would be most beneficial--going for circs only or getting both...I think circs for dpn use AND cable needles (even though KP Harmony needles are pretty AND inexpensive). But I liked the bobby pin idea too for cable stitch holders (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73458)! AND THEN I can buy more yarn! :D

suzeeq
01-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I think this thread shows that just as some knitters prefer continental style, others prefer english. Some of us prefer dpns and others circular. It doesn't really matter in the end which you choose, just what feels most comfortable and enjoyable for you.

Yep, that's it exactly. There are no `rules' on what you have to do; it's mostly individual preference.