PDA

View Full Version : advice PLEASE

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 07:15 PM
I was very excited my hubby wanted to learn to knit UNTIL last night. It was his second attempt and he was doing well. Then, to my shock, he made and mistake on his swatch and CUT it with scissors. I was hoping my sharp inhale would discourage this. By the third time, I HAD to ask him to let me help. I taught him how to tink and frog. Then, I left the room and was able to relax with my knitting. Unfortunately, when I returned after he went to bed, he left the yarn and needles on the couch! We have cats.....they love to play with yarn and bite on needles! I put the yarn back in it's bag and the needles in the case. I figured out how to talk to him about those two things.....just calmly explain that the cats can ruin the WIPs. However, how do I explain that he is going to have to purchase his own yarn to work with. My stash is beautiful. I put lots of thought into each purchase....touching the material.....figure out what to make with it.....and protecting it in bags. He feels I could just go buy more yarn and does not understand. Does anyone have any advice PLEASE. I love that he wants to learn to knit and I look forward to shopping in our LYS and knitting with him. Unfortunately, I see knitting as an art to be LOVED and CHERISHED.....he sees it as a hobby.

Lisa R.
01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
However, how do I explain that he is going to have to purchase his own yarn to work with. My stash is beautiful. I put lots of thought into each purchase....touching the material.....figure out what to make with it.....and protecting it in bags. He feels I could just go buy more yarn and does not understand. Does anyone have any advice PLEASE..

Honestly? I think you should point out to him how you feel about your yarn, but unless you are buying one-of-a-kind hand-dyed stuff that you actually cannot, he's right that you CAN go out and buy some more. For me, my relationship with my dh would take precedence over my yarn, and if I told him how important it was to me that he get his own, and he still insisted on using my stash....I'd just go get more when I needed it, and enjoy the time spent knitting with him!

scout52
01-08-2008, 07:42 PM
:noway: :noway: if he is putting up shelves and they go on crooked does he smash them down with a hammer? i think not. he unscrews them and rehangs it straight. reading that just about gave me a heart attack!! I feel your pain!!

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks so much for replying. I do not have one-of-a kind yarn. I got so anxious over the situation, I could not think clearly. Thanks again :)

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
scout52- thank you for replying and understanding how anxious I was. I so LOVE this site! How do you put the smiley faces in the box? I only know how to smile? :)

Lisa R.
01-08-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks so much for replying. I do not have one-of-a kind yarn. I got so anxious over the situation, I could not think clearly. Thanks again :)

Well, it's not MY yarn, so I could think more clearly!:teehee:

The other, fancier smileys show up when you click on the big "Post Reply" button at the top or bottom of the thread, instead of the little reply button on each post.

scout52
01-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Jenny you are very welcome. It wonderful that he wants to knit but he needs to respect the yarn and the needles!! :thumbsup:

Becky Morgan
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
:noway: :noway: if he is putting up shelves and they go on crooked does he smash them down with a hammer?

Mine does. He throws things,swears and screams every time he attempts any project. I do home repairs when he's not around and will not even try to get him interested in knitting.

That explanation aside, yes, explain the basics of your stash and show him what's easy to replace and what isn't.

suecq
01-08-2008, 08:45 PM
I would buy some nice (not special) yarn that he could use. When he wants to knit give him the yarn you bought for his use. If he wants another yarn from your stash just tell him you were saving that yarn for such & such project.

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Lisa R. - Thank you again! I love smiley faces :muah: ! I also love this site! :heart: Everyone is so friendly :grphug:

vaknitter
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
First of all you are a brave woman for trying to teach your husband to knit. I will no more teach the hubby to knit than he will teach me to play mechanic on my motorcyle.(I can change the oil, brakes, wipers, wiper fluid etc in my truck and that's enough)
That being said go to Michaels or even Walmart and buy him a lovely skein of yarn, wind it into a ball, put it in your stash, and pull it out for him to practice with. Explain to him that all your other stash yarn is reserved for project.
HMMM guess I'm kinda lucky my hubby walks a wide circle around my yarn, fabric etc. One morning our puppy had a ball of sock yarn that she was strewing down the hall and he called me to get it fom her b/c he didn't want to mess it up and get yelled at for touching the pretty yarn.

Jennyloves2knit
01-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I want to thank everyone that has given me so many wonderful ideals:woohoo: Everyone is so nice and thoughtful. I love this site :woot: Thanks again:knitting:

G J
01-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Ooh, Jenny, I've got the same thing going on! My DH learned to knit over Christmas break and is enjoying it! I don't have much of a stash, so that part isn't a problem.

The funniest problem I had was that he kept saying he was going to tinkle instead of tink. :doh: I told him you don't PEE on YARN!!!!!

Tia
01-09-2008, 01:15 AM
The funniest problem I had was that he kept saying he was going to tinkle instead of tink.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

starburst
01-09-2008, 01:22 AM
The funniest problem I had was that he kept saying he was going to tinkle instead of tink. :doh: I told him you don't PEE on YARN!!!!!
...oh no...

I think I've been doing it wrong...

Jens
01-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Honestly? I think you should point out to him how you feel about your yarn, but unless you are buying one-of-a-kind hand-dyed stuff that you actually cannot, he's right that you CAN go out and buy some more. For me, my relationship with my dh would take precedence over my yarn, and if I told him how important it was to me that he get his own, and he still insisted on using my stash....I'd just go get more when I needed it, and enjoy the time spent knitting with him!

I didn't read all the posts but this one was pretty good. Unless it's something extra special that you really want yourself then let him have some of your yarn. After all giving makes you a better person and it's contagious, ;) bOR you could go shopping for/with him and tell him you thought about him and got him some nice yarn!
Jen

Jan in CA
01-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Some men would probably just quit if you told them to go get their own. Maybe you could start him off by buying him a few skeins of his own and tell him how you feel about yours for sure.

Jennyloves2knit
01-09-2008, 04:52 AM
What a difference a short amount of time makes! :woot: First, all the wonderful support made me be able to think instead of being anxious :teehee: I went to Michaels and purchased him two beautiful skeins of yarn. I was amazed at how excited he was about having his own yarn.....he is realizing that knitting is an art :woohoo: Then, he completed his first knitted swatch with his new yarn:yay: We discussed, calmly, that WIPs could be ripped out by our cats and what would happen to the bamboo needles after the cats teeth marks. He completely understood. Further, after realizing I only have one pair of needles from size 7-11, he said we could go to our LYN and purchase my first set of circular needles cloud9 :woot: I am so excited!:knitting:

cftwo
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Sounds like you have a keeper, Jenny! I'm glad you've reached a compromise!

G J
01-09-2008, 03:47 PM
What a difference a short amount of time makes! :woot: First, all the wonderful support made me be able to think instead of being anxious :teehee: I went to Michaels and purchased him two beautiful skeins of yarn. I was amazed at how excited he was about having his own yarn.....he is realizing that knitting is an art :woohoo: Then, he completed his first knitted swatch with his new yarn:yay: We discussed, calmly, that WIPs could be ripped out by our cats and what would happen to the bamboo needles after the cats teeth marks. He completely understood. Further, after realizing I only have one pair of needles from size 7-11, he said we could go to our LYN and purchase my first set of circular needles cloud9 :woot: I am so excited!:knitting:

Oooh, Jenny! I'm so glad you worked it out! My DH and I knit together, now, too!
If DH is feeling generous, see if he'd be happy ordring a set of Knit Picks OPTIONS! They're wonderful to knit with and give you flexibility as far as length goes.

Plantgoddess+
01-09-2008, 07:34 PM
You are lucky to have a husband who wants to participate in something important to you. Mine thinks its a waste of time to knit something you can go buy in a store for a lot less. Having said that I am still knitting off a stash he acquired for me by trading labor for yarn. The stash is getting small after knitting from it for almost 30 years. He thinks I should just dissassemble some of my sweaters and knit something new instead of buying more yarn.

redwitch
01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
How nice of him to give you permission... no really good point scout about the shelves! I would have told him if he used the good stuff he would be buying me some more and shown him the price compared to something a bit more reasonable. You are very lucky to have him!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-10-2008, 04:12 AM
Hooray! Glad it all worked out.

KnittingNat
01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm glad you solved it in such a wonderful way! My hubby doesn't want to learn to knit, because he says that his hobby is plenty for him. He collects diecast models and makes them better. But, since i know how much effort goes into each model and the price of it and he knows the price of yarn (which is mostly ordered from abroad - the ones here are no good :noway: ) and the effort of knitting, we always try to save each others stuff and keep it safe. Maybe you should introduce him to KH, like BostonBecca did? He can show off his FO's here too:thumbsup:

Jennyloves2knit
01-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Planetgoddess- I am shocked to find that anyone would thinking knitting is a waste of time even if it is cheaper to buy the item in a store :?? I hope that in the future he sees knitting as an art....my husband is starting to see it that way :woohoo:: I would cry if I had to unravel my completed knitted items:waah: Hopefully, you can purchase more yarn :knitting: However, if it came down to ripping out my FOs or stop knitting, I would have to rip it out. Good luck to you and please keep me posted. :knitting:

KnittingNat- I am delighted that my husband is seeing knitting as an art
now :heart: He already is mesmerized by it and I am sure we are going to love going to our LYS for circular needles and (hopefully) yarn this weekend :woot: I think, in time, he will become as addicted to it as I am. We both look forward to when we figure out how to post our FO's on this site :knitting: cloud9:

marlajap
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I've got one of those hubbys that I would not even dream of teaching to knit - he simply hasn't got the patience. He, too, is the kind of guy who cusses and mutters and tosses things around with every home project. That's always funny to me, in a certain way, because he's a MECHANIC, so you would think he'd be a bit more controlled when using tools. But, sadly, no. :)
Anyway, he's been really sweet about the knitting thing - I'm new at this but have crocheted for years, but never for him, as crochet always seemed way too feminine to make guy stuff. My very first knit project was a scarfette of sorts for him, with the two ends seamed together so that he can tuck it into his shirt at work and not worry about ends flying around and tangling in engines and stuff. He wore it proudly to work last week and showed it off to his co-workers. LOL! Finished the matching watch cap last week, too, which he really seems to love. My holiday gifts from him and sons included a couple of knitting books I'd requested, which was so cool, and the first question he asks after we leave one of our weekend shopping stops is, "do you need to go to Hobby Lobby?", followed by, "well, if you want to go up to Nashville to the yarn store, I'll drive..." :heart:
I figure any all-guy hubby like mine who *volunteers* to go to the yarn shop is a keeper, don't you? :thumbsup:

suzeeq
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Oooh, Jenny! I'm so glad you worked it out! My DH and I knit together, now, too!
If DH is feeling generous, see if he'd be happy ordring a set of Knit Picks OPTIONS! They're wonderful to knit with and give you flexibility as far as length goes.

And with the options, you would both have plenty of needles to choose from. It's worth it in the long run.

Plantgoddess+
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't take hubby seriously. I told him what I posted and he said, but I never see you wear your sweaters. I said I've been wearing sweaters all winter. Oh I thought you bought those.:gah:
Actually I do have a couple of sweaters to frog that didn't turn out as I hoped and are not flattering. I have a habit of trying to take a bit from one pattern and some from another pattern and then go with a totally different yarn than called for. Sometimes it doesn't work out. This site and all the wonderful people are helping to figure out matching yarn to shaping.

Jaxhil
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
I've loved reading this thread! Jenny, I'm glad to hear everything worked out-and just think what fun your going to have SHOPPING with DH at the yarn store :thumbsup: Hey, maybe you should get one set of Options & one set of their Harmonies!! After all, you never know when you're both going to need the same size needles :teehee: HE might go for it, ya never know! :mrgreen:

marlajap, I'm so jealous!! My DH would probably rather have a root canal than take me to the yarn store!! LOL. OTOH, he doesn't mind letting me go for hours :heart:

jeanius80
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
jenny- i know you were anxious (and i am glad it all worked out :thumbsup: ) when you first posted...
but i have to admit, it made me laugh! I would have just given DH a skein of inexpensive yarn to start with, then not care what he did to it. I wish my DH would learn to knit, i think it would really relax him. As it is though, he is really supportive, and doesn't say too much about how much i've spent over the last year, since i started knitting lol. This is why i am determined to knit from my stash this year. i only have two projects i plan on using as rewards (i'll need to buy yarn for them) and one of them is a sweater for him :)