PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else eat prunes voluntarily?

vaknitter
01-08-2008, 07:46 PM
My hubby makes fun of me when we go grocery shopping b/c I LOVE prunes. I prefer the ones with the pits, but they are pretty hard to find. Anyway, I was just being laughed at for eating prunes as a snack. I figure someone else out there has to like them too - right : )
P.S. have you noticed they now market them as dried plums, not prunes

bethany
01-08-2008, 08:07 PM
i like 'em! Eat them as they are and in recipes--apricot chicken with sage and "dried plums"...yum! (still no to the juice though..)

Jan in CA
01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I just had some! I buy the small single serving pkgs because I'm on Weight Watchers so it's easy to keep track.

I think "prunes" make people think of the elderly, constipation, sour personality, etc.. Dried plums just sound like any other dried fruit so it is probably more marketable. I call them dried plums. :teehee:

bethany
01-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I just had some! I buy the small single serving pkgs because I'm on Weight Watchers so it's easy to keep track.

I think "prunes" make people think of the elderly, constipation, sour personality, etc.. Dried plums just sound like any other dried fruit so it is probably more marketable. I call them dried plums. :teehee:
that's sort of why I LIKE to call them prunes...gets people all uppity! ;)

Ellieblue
01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
I just had some too!!! Yummey

feministmama
01-08-2008, 09:10 PM
There's a bag of them sitting on my desk at work. That an apricots. I like em as much as apples and the more "fun" fruits. Our house always has a bag of carrots on stock too. We eat those little baby carrots like they're going out of style

ecb
01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
I love them
as do my kids

ecb

starburst
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
I was scared of prunes when i was little because this guy came up to me at the store once and said, "You like prunes? I like prunes! they help me with ma poops!"

So I don't like prunes but I do like asparagus and brussel sprouts! And liver :D

HamaLee
01-09-2008, 12:12 AM
"You like prunes? I like prunes! they help me with ma poops!"
:roflhard: :rofl:
Oh god, I need to start eating prunes so I can say this to some poor unsuspectig soul in public! And the extra fiber will be a bonus!! :mrgreen: :teehee:

treehugger14
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm only 16 and i eat them! YUMMY! they taste like raisins...only better! But, My mom won't buy them, so i get them from my best friend when she brings them in her lunch...and i did notice that i did have help with "ma poops" after eating some...

starburst
01-09-2008, 12:49 AM
this reminds me of a quote from Benny and Joon:
Sam: You don't like raisins?
Joon: Not really.
Sam: Why?
Joon: They used to be fat and juicy and now they're twisted. They had their lives stolen. Well, they taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes. I can't say I am a big supporter of the raisin council.
Sam: Did you see those, those raisins on TV? The ones that sing and dance and stuff?
Joon: They scare me.
Sam: Yeah me too
Joon: It's sick. The commercial people they make them sing and dance so people will eat them.
Sam: It's a shame about raisins.
Joon: Cannibals.
Sam: Yeah!

redmom37
01-09-2008, 02:27 AM
me too. I love them right out of the bag or the way my mom made them for breakfast "stewed"!:thumbsup: .

SusanAnn
01-09-2008, 06:03 AM
I just love them, but have to make sure I don't eat too many of them in my enthusiasm :mrgreen:

I even like prune juice.....like Worf in Star Trek, Next Generation I think it is a " warrior's drink" :)

gingerbread
01-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh I love Prunes, my mom drank a little glass of Prunes every night. :roflhard:
Me I love both and I also thought of Worf when I read the title. Yup those little gems are great. Buy the juice all the time, and the prunes about every other week.
Ya I love Prunes cloud9

iza
01-09-2008, 09:47 AM
:heart: I absolutely adore prunes. But I can only eat a few of them, otherwise... the effect is too strong and I get cramps! :aww: :doh: My boyfriend stops me after 3-4. :teehee: But I could eat the entire bag because I love them so much!

stitchwitch
01-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I eat them and love them! I call them prunes, makes people all nervous. :teehee:

cdjack
01-09-2008, 11:32 AM
If I was at someone's house and they offered me a prune, I would eat it. I don't buy them, though. I like other dried fruit.
But, I must say, when I read the title of this thread, I laughed a bit. Has anyone ever eaten a prune involuntarily?

Quiltlady
01-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I like them without the pit but I can't eat very many of them because they makes to RUN to the ladies room. I also love prune juice but the same result. So I only drink it if I need to "go".:aww:

Abbily
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Mmmm, I love prunes! My mom used to make them stewed too, yummy! They're great straight out of the bag, though.

I love that line about 'humiliated grapes'!

Carrie218
01-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Take a look at the listing that Pim has on her blog regarding prunes...
http://www.chezpim.com/blogs/2007/07/pruneaux-larmag.html

It is something I have been doing for years, based out of a recipe from Paula Wolfert's "Cooking of Southwest France." I like it a lot better than the recipe that Pim was using because with Paula's, you pre-soak the prunes in tea before you soak them with Armagnac. They are intensely elegant and mellow beautifully over time. I have a large jar that are more than 10 months old and they are only getting better (I only eat one every other week or so, just to see how much better they will get!) I need to make another batch soon...

VictoiseC
01-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Mmmmmm, Carrie, that recipe sounds deliceaux! I absolutely have to make those.

I think I'll go buy some today... I've forgot to for a long time.
This may sound really weird, but I try not to drink much coke, maybe 4 a year and I found if you pour prune juice over a lot of ice, add a squeeze of lemon juice, it's kind of like a substitute for coke.
Really. I'm not kidding. :clink:

nefferbea
01-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Oooh, I love 'em! So do my kids, but my husband won't eat them. We like all kinds of dried fruits at our house.

Jennifer

Shandeh
01-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I love prunes, but I can't eat them anymore on my low carb diet. Dried fruits have a high sugar content. :pout:

Sharly
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
I was told by the doctor that I should eat prunes several years ago following a certain little surgery that I won't go into here. (So, I guess, in a way, that was eating prunes involuntarily :)) I couldn't acquire a taste for them, but you guys are making me want to try again!!

Off Topic: Wow, Shandeh - you can really see your weight loss in your face!! Looking good!

Shandeh
01-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Wow, Shandeh - you can really see your weight loss in your face!! Looking good!
Thanks! cloud9

I still have a lot to go before I pose in a swimsuit, though. :teehee:

Sharly
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I would have to have a full-body transplant before I would pose in a swimsuit!! :roflhard:

stitchwitch
01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
OK, if prunes are dried plums then how do they get juice out of them? Isn't it plum juice then? If so, why not just call it plum juice? :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks! cloud9

I still have a lot to go before I pose in a swimsuit, though. :teehee:

I wouldn't have posed in a swimsuit even when I got down to 128 a few years ago!! :teehee:

Sharly
01-10-2008, 04:44 PM
OK, if prunes are dried plums then how do they get juice out of them? Isn't it plum juice then? If so, why not just call it plum juice? :teehee:
That's a great point!! You would think it would be easier to market, too!

iza
01-10-2008, 04:52 PM

This is so confusing for me. In French, "plums" are called... "prunes". And the English "prunes" are called "pruneaux". :zombie: I always forget about the word "plums", I just call everything "prunes" :teehee: It's easier for me to remember.

Jan in CA
01-10-2008, 04:59 PM
This is so confusing for me. In French, "plums" are called... "prunes".

Well there you go.. apparently they call them by the French name then! Interesting.

letah75
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Love 'em...always have. When I was little I used to beg to go to the all you can eat restaurant 4 blocks from our house because they had dried prunes (with the pit), yummy.

Little Jr. loves prune juice and drinks it all the time.

Sharly
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
This may be a stupid question...is raisin a french word?

iza
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
yup! Raisin is French for... grapes! :teehee: There does seem to be a trend here!

Sharly
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Aha! :) Guess french food must be healthier, huh?

I hope that came out funny and not lame!

iza
01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
:rofl: Good one, Sharly! I don't understand why there are so many French words used in English. :?? Maybe it sounds "fancy" for you guys? :teehee: To me it's just weird! :teehee:

Jan in CA
01-10-2008, 06:13 PM
:rofl: Good one, Sharly! I don't understand why there are so many French words used in English. :?? Maybe it sounds "fancy" for you guys? :teehee: To me it's just weird! :teehee:

I'm not sure, but I suspect it has to do with the origin of the food or the originator of the food. We do have grapes so it's not like raisin sounds fancy or anything. :shrug:

starburst
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
The English language is just an insane hodgepodge of non-english words. You'd be surprised just how many English words are German or French. Now the reverse process is happening--English words are seeping into France and Germany(albeit a bit more slowly in France). The Germans have a word for computer, but most of the time they simply call them by the English word

kellyh57
01-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Funny story about raisins/grapes. An old boss of mine was visiting Canada. They were having a pizza party and he grabbed a can of soda. Had a drink and set it down. Went to pick it back up and was a little grossed out. He read the can "Raisin" flavored. Then, turned it around and saw the original "Grape" flavor on the other side. Little did he know that raisin is the French translation of grape :)

Kelly

Becky Morgan
01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I LOVE prunes. And I forgot to get any today when I made my mega-grocery store run. WAAAAAH!...now I'm hungry for them!:D

vaknitter
01-10-2008, 10:32 PM
As I was snacking on yet more prunes I told the hubby how many of you had replied in favor of prunes he said - oh that's b/c their knitters !! All I've got to say is if knitters are prune eaters than I'm proud to be a knitter !! Thanks for the support ladies.
By voluntarily, I meant b/c you like them, not b/c you need them for ... ahem....motivation

starburst
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
hahahah! I've never heard it refered to as "motivation." That's a phrase that I'm going to have to remember

linknit41
03-02-2008, 07:01 PM
I do eat them--especially like the ones that have orange or cherry flavor. linknit41

HamaLee
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I read this thread back when it started and thought "hey, it's worth a try." I bought a bag of prunes to keep in my desk at work for snacks. I LOVE THEM!! :inlove:

Thanks everyone! :muah:

cheesiesmom
03-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I love 'em but have to be careful that I don't get carried away with too many, for...ah...obvious reasons.

I also love dried apricots. But again have to watch it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
I love prunes. I *hate* banannas, so I eat the prunes for the potassium. Tasty!

vaknitter
03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I was suprised to see this thread revived and laughed b/c I just bought 2 more bags today !!!

kayrun
03-03-2008, 10:01 PM
I like prunes, too, but had not bought any forever, until I started seeing those ads on TV for "Ones" (the individ. wrapped prunes that come in a cylinder?)
So of course I had to go try them, and behold! They are fantastic, and even my dh and dd eat them when I leave the container out on the counter....
Yummy!

photolady
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
By voluntarily, I meant b/c you like them, not b/c you need them for ... ahem....motivation

Everybodys doin a brand new dance now.
Come on baby, do the loco-motion.
I know youll get to like it if you give it a chance now.
Come on baby, do the loco-motion.
My little baby sister can do it with ease,
Its easier than learnin your abcs.
So, come on, come on, and do the loco-motion with me.

photolady
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I like the pitted prunes with "orange essence". Yummy!

Mix them with dried pineapple, really a sweet treat.