PDA

View Full Version : Mourning FOs that I didn't take pictures of

bip
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
For the first two years that I knit, I didn't really think to take pictures of things, and I gave away almost everything that I knit. At first it was no big deal. An iPod arm band from Knit-1 made from Red Heart acrylic. A belt and scarf in Matrix.

But now I am sad that I didn't take pictures. I have managed to talk some people into taking pictures of the things I have given them, but I am not in regular contact with everyone who got a knitted something-or-other from me, and I have completely lost touch with others.

Things I am missing photos of:
- Greek Pullover in Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk (technically, I have a photo, because she wore it in her Christmas card picture, but it isn't one I can share in the Whatcha Knittin forum)
- Zeebies Bag from SNB Handbook
- Meemas Marsupial pouch in pink and grey for MIL (I got shots of the ones I made in pink and black for grandma and mom)
- Clementine, from 25 Bags to Knit (and another little purse from that book)
- Two sets of Spa Facecloths from a 2005 issue of Creative Knitting
- Tilting Blocks Baby Blanket in pistachio
- A sweater for my dad in Big Noro (mom would snap a pic for me, but it has been worn for over a year now, wouldn't be the same as a "fresh off the needles" shot)
- A diagonal baby blanket in Homespun that I altered to be rectangular
- A shawl for my grandma in Linnie 114 Space ribbon yarn in a rainbow verigated colorway

Sigh. I have to stop. This list is depressing me! I am considering making some of the items again just so I can get photos! I couldn't be the only one who goes through this, right?

sue in canada
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
I never took photos of anything I made until finding KH. I would love to look back on all the baby things I have made over the years. I doubt if many thought about it before digital cameras came along.

sinistral_needler
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
There are many afghans that I donated to charity that I never took photos of. It does bother me but I consider it water under the bridge. Try not to let it bother you too much - just enjoy making new things and take pictures of those! I wouldn't recreate them - just make what you love.

It is one of those things that is kinda sad, but it is not a tragedy and you will be OK! :thumbsup:

bip
01-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I never took photos of anything I made until finding KH.
That was why I started taking pictures too. And Ravelry made it worse (now I even sometimes take WIP shots). It has gotten to where I will admit to choosing projects in part based on how the photos will look here and on Ravelry!

Plantgoddess+
01-11-2008, 11:51 PM
I also don't have photos of about 70% of what I've knitted over the years. If you add in all the crocheting I've done since I was a teenager, I have photos of next to nothing I've done. Oh well. I don't even remember the patterns of all I have made.

Knitting_Guy
01-12-2008, 01:02 AM
The real joy is in the knitting not in the accolades. You got to experience the pleasure of knitting them so don't sweat the lack of pictures.

bip
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Ever since Ravelry asked for TWO of my photos to be the models for the pattern, I've been very caught up in the accolated aspect of knitting. I can only presume it will pass :mrgreen:

babsnelson
01-12-2008, 03:48 PM
I understand how you feel. I had a major issue with that over Christmas - I ended up giving a fabulous felted bag to my FIL's girlfriend. We didn't have a gift and needed something quick. The worst thing about it is that she's not a crafty type person and just really didn't appreciate it. Made me so sad....it's a big reason I started a blog. It gave me a reason to take pictures of everything I make. It's nice to have a record of it all in case I want to make something again, or if I need something similar.

cam90066
01-12-2008, 05:23 PM
I can relate. I didn't have a dig cam until long after I'd given away numerous items. At one point I had a recip snap loads of pics, was certain I'd saved them, but now they're nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, with quite a few pieces, they were for my newborn nephew and I know the blankets, hats, etc have since been 're-gifted' or donated... so no longer around for part deux of pic taking. In a couple instances the recip still has what I made and I'm having pics taken now. If nothing else, I like to have a record of what I've done and, in some cases, the pics reminds me of what I liked, didn't like, what I'd have done diff, etc.

cam