PDA

View Full Version : using silver's sock tutorial

photolady
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
OK, I've got my stitches cast on, and, I figured out where to begin my first stitch. I've knitted one and a third rounds, so far, using bamboo needles, and big, fat, green yarn.

one sock on 4 dpns

Silver says: When knitting the first stitch on a needle, be sure to pull your stitch tight to minimize any gaps between the needles.
I'm trying to do that.

Moving to the next needle.
This is where I abandon the other needles, and let them just hang underneath, and concentrate only on the 2 dpns I'm using right now.

I find it easiest if the next needle's tip rests on top of the last needle, then I bring my working needle up from under the last needle.
huh?
I'm just knitting. bring my working needle...well, that's the one with the source yarn dangling from it....bring it up under the last needle.....ok, I get it.....not real different from knitting with 2 needles.
Will post more later, as I get along.:knitting:
I'm not knitting as fast as this gif is, but, that's not real life anywayz.
She isn't knitting sox,either....she's knitting a happy face...
:p

erikalee
01-11-2008, 05:50 PM
I didn't realize that was a smiley face! lol

Eccie
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM

I never noticed it was a smiley face!

Good Luck on the sock tutorial. I'm going to start it soon

knit2btied
01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I think I may try Silver's when I get brave enough to try mine too. Good luck with yours. I'll be watching for updates with interest!

knit2btied

photolady
01-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Oh yeah, it sure is! I LOVE the little gif on your post, "where's the end of the yarn" ha ha ha!

photolady
01-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I found a supposedly easy sock pattern, and here it is:
(still using silver's for reference, if possible)
cast on 36 sts k1p1for 7 rows
k 35 rows in stockinette st
THEN>>
&& here's what I don't understand:
with B color, knit 18 stitches
break the b yarn
slip B stitches from your right needle back to the left needle, and return to the point where you stopped knitting with A. Continue by knitting all sts including the B ones you jsut made with A yarn. &&
THEN, with A work 35 rows, or until foot is desired length, on last row, place 2 markers, one at beg or round, and one18 sts later, then you have to pull the B yarn out, and....OH, I"m too tired to go on.
I don't get the part between the && here.

gargoylelib
01-12-2008, 04:39 AM
I found a supposedly easy sock pattern, and here it is:
(still using silver's for reference, if possible)
cast on 36 sts k1p1for 7 rows
k 35 rows in stockinette st
THEN>>
&& here's what I don't understand:
with B color, knit 18 stitches
break the b yarn
slip B stitches from your right needle back to the left needle, and return to the point where you stopped knitting with A. Continue by knitting all sts including the B ones you jsut made with A yarn. &&
THEN, with A work 35 rows, or until foot is desired length, on last row, place 2 markers, one at beg or round, and one18 sts later, then you have to pull the B yarn out, and....OH, I"m too tired to go on.
I don't get the part between the && here.

That sounds like an afterthought heel. You are basically knitting a
length of waste yarn to "hold" your spot for the heel. After you finish the sock you will go back and remove the waste yarn and put the revealed "live" sts onto needles and knit your heel. A very useful heel when you are doing complicated color patterns! Here (http://www.socknitters.com/lessons/afterthoughtheels.htm) is a link
to a site showing step by step how to do it. Well the pattern starts at making the toe and working your way up but if you go towards the
middle of the pattern you will see the part about knitting in a piece of
waste yarn and then how to go back and create the heel!

Libbie :)

photolady
01-12-2008, 10:31 AM
That sounds like an afterthought heel. You are basically knitting a
length of waste yarn to "hold" your spot for the heel. After you finish the sock you will go back and remove the waste yarn and put the revealed "live" sts onto needles and knit your heel. A very useful heel when you are doing complicated color patterns! Here (http://www.socknitters.com/lessons/afterthoughtheels.htm) is a link
to a site showing step by step how to do it. Well the pattern starts at making the toe and working your way up but if you go towards the
middle of the pattern you will see the part about knitting in a piece of
waste yarn and then how to go back and create the heel!

that's pretty neat. I'll use that for reference. this book leaves out SOOO much.:tap:

photolady
01-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I was knitting last night, and made what looks like a little bundt cake, then, added white, and now, it's back to the tutorial:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/sockdpn.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/socknewcolor.jpg

photolady
01-14-2008, 10:29 AM
More progress, using silver's sock tutorial:

I added ANOTHER color!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/addingnewcolor.jpg

sloppy, but, learning, still going forward:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/sloppybutlearning.jpg

Dividing my stitches, and getting ready to knit the heel flap, I hope this isnt' backwards! Oh well, I'm learning the MECHANICS of sock knitting:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/gettingreadyforheelflap.jpg

Oh look! Some Russian ladies have come to help me! Help, help, Russian ladies, I need your expertise! Please get that kid out of the yarn, though!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/heelflapbegun.jpg

Time for a snack! No lemons, please!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/timeforafruitsnack.jpg

Thank You, Jesus!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/christian_symbol_jesus_fish_sticker.gif

photolady
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Hmm...here's the heel flap, looking pretty good, but, the edge over there has gaps in it. I think I know why.

Still learning, and quite the novice.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/heelflapfirstsockever.jpg

I'm betting those gaps will cause trouble for me, later on.

photolady
01-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Fantastic! Using silver's tutorial, and following the instructions word for word, I've made a little, tiny heel on my very first sock, EVER!

:woot:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/actualheelfirstsockever.jpg

granted, this is a weird looking sock, altogether, probably fit for a goat, but, I've overcome the hurdle! Gotta go take a breather before I faint! this is too exciting!:thud:

cindycactus
01-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for taking us along on your sock journey. I used Silver's Sock Tutorial to make socks and now I have made so many I don't have to look at the pattern anymore. I have a great granddaughter who is Autistic and she has very sensitive skin but she can wear the socks I knit for her because they do not have a seam to rub her feet. Thank You Silver!!!:clink:

photolady
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
I have a great granddaughter who is Autistic and she has very sensitive skin but she can wear the socks I knit for her because they do not have a seam to rub her feet. Thank You Silver!!!:clink:

iSN'T THAT MARVELOUS, THAT YOU CAN MAKE SOMETHING FOR YOUR GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER. I hear autism can be very difficult to deal with, and the autistic person will get upset over the most innocuous things.
Is communication difficult with your great granddaughter, or has everyone learned how best to approach her? Are autistic people generally afraid of anything new?

photolady
01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Next is the gusset. I think so. Looking at the pictures, it looks like I'm joining everything, and then knitting in circles.
Silver, what if I don't know how to pick up stitches?:??
Any links to tutorials on that?

knit2btied
01-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Next is the gusset. I think so. Looking at the pictures, it looks like I'm joining everything, and then knitting in circles.
Silver, what if I don't know how to pick up stitches?:??
Any links to tutorials on that?

There is a tutorial on picking up stitches in the videos on this web-site. Meanwhile, I'm cheering you on....

Sandi
01-14-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm using Silvers Sock Class to. Have gotten halfway down the first one.
It's going well. Just have to take your time when going onto the next step and like it says read all the text between the pictures!
Good luck everyone!

Newbie2Knitting
01-15-2008, 01:25 AM
I am wholeheartedly enjoying your sock-making journey. (Especially the Russian ladies who came to help :woohoo: ) See? Sock making isn't so bad, is it? We knew you could do it. :cheering:

gargoylelib
01-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Way to go with your sock! :cheering: Looks like you are
doing a great job....just watch out...once you learn how to
make socks it can become addictive! I knit socks inbetween
other projects just because it's fun hehe!

sakura-panda
01-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Loved the photo story! Very inspirational! :yay:

I'm going to try Silver's sock tutorial one of these days too, after I get more comfortable with my basic knitting skills. :knitting:

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

photolady
01-16-2008, 09:59 PM
There is a tutorial on picking up stitches in the videos on this web-site. Meanwhile, I'm cheering you on....

Thanks! I have more photos, and.....I learned how to pick up stitches!
I used a crochet hook, until I got the hang of it.

THE GUSSET BEGINS!!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/gussetstsbeg.jpg

I'm SO CORNFUZED! Needle one, needle two...what does it all mean?
I don't get it...wait, I get it now, the 2 needles on the SIDE are the gussetty maker thing sides, and the side on the top is what's gonna go over the top of my foot.
I don't know, though, this is weird....

photolady
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm using Silvers Sock Class to. Have gotten halfway down the first one.
It's going well. Just have to take your time when going onto the next step and like it says read all the text between the pictures!
Good luck everyone!
Yep, reading everything, and I find that looking closely at the photos, is really helping me to see that what I'm doing is right.
Will you show your sock, after it's done?
I'll bet it will be prettier than mine.
I'm going to save this first sock. To show my students.
ha ha!

photolady
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
I am wholeheartedly enjoying your sock-making journey. (Especially the Russian ladies who came to help :woohoo: ) See? Sock making isn't so bad, is it? We knew you could do it. :cheering:

Oh, good! I am hoping to encourage others to try it. IF I can make it, probably anyone else can.

The Russian ladies have FRIENDS! Maybe they'll show up soon.

photolady
01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Way to go with your sock! :cheering: Looks like you are
doing a great job....just watch out...once you learn how to
make socks it can become addictive! I knit socks inbetween
other projects just because it's fun hehe!

Isn't that unexplicably funny? The attraction that develops towards making socks.
I find I'm drawn, mysteriously, to casting on another sock! I'm looking at yarns, differently now, like....hmmm...that thinner thread looks like it would make a cute sock.....I never thought in those terms before!

photolady
01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Loved the photo story! Very inspirational! :yay:

I'm going to try Silver's sock tutorial one of these days too, after I get more comfortable with my basic knitting skills. :knitting:

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

You're welcome. The tutorial is good. Read all the words, even in between the photos, and TAKE YOUR TIME>

My advice: get comfortable knitting on double pointed needles first.
BEFORE THAT, knit on a circular needle. They're kind of the same.
And, use wooden needles for socks. The first time I tried socks, it was dreadful! I had metal needles, and the stitches kept slipping off, and I got real unhappy, and tossed the whole thing in the corner, for a long time.
Needlessly. I could have been happy making little socks all that time that I was doubting my abilities. IT WAS THE NEEDLE'S FAULT, I TELL YA! THE NEEDLES!!

tarrentella
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
YAY for Photolady. you seem so cheery! i like the enthusiasm. I love how somehow b shuffeling the stitches around on your needles and doing aparantly sill things, that tube of yarn you made can turn into a fairly recognizable sock. i have only made two pairs (both using Silver's tutorial) and want to make more.
Are the Russian Ladies Helpful? i might have to get some in ;)

2sweetgirls38
01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Great tip on using the bamboo/wood needles. I'm not brave enough to try socks yet, but I will be soon enough.

You're doing a great job! I've been enjoying watching your journey. I only hope the little Russian women come help me when I start. Do you temp them out?

craff1
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Can I jump in here? I just wanted to post up my new pair too! This is my first pair and I'm doing the tutorial also. I will be keeping an eye on this thread for help as I'm sure I'll need it *smile*

rachejm
01-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Yay socks! :cheering: I did my first one from Silver's tutorial too! There are pictures of it on my blog. The second sock is proving more problematic but I'm gettin there slowly. I'm glad you are enjoying it too!

Plantgoddess+
01-17-2008, 12:56 PM
That is great. All of you sound like you're doing a great job. Silver makes everything so clear. Once you get your first pair on your feet you'll be hankering for more. Best of luck getting them done and your next pair picked out.

bethany
01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
yay photolady! I am loving your journey...I still haven't done more on my sock...can't concentrate long enough and keep coming up with new projects. They're short projects, but still--procrastinator! Anyway, thanks for posting it all!

knit2btied
01-17-2008, 11:39 PM
I took the plunge in so far as a purchase of sock yarn.... Haven't started casting on yet! I'm currently working off of the last of my stash yarn! :wink:

Then maybe...

photolady
01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
The gusset is done!

I think my goat will enjoy wearing this sock!

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/gusset.jpg

photolady
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I took the plunge in so far as a purchase of sock yarn.... Haven't started casting on yet! I'm currently working off of the last of my stash yarn! :wink:

Then maybe...

What's that mean? ha ha ha ha! I think it will take 3 years for me to work off the last of my stash.
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

photolady
01-18-2008, 04:08 PM
YAY for Photolady. you seem so cheery! i like the enthusiasm. I love how somehow b shuffeling the stitches around on your needles and doing aparantly sill things, that tube of yarn you made can turn into a fairly recognizable sock. i have only made two pairs (both using Silver's tutorial) and want to make more.
Are the Russian Ladies Helpful? i might have to get some in ;)

I've just asked the Russian ladies if they have friends who will help you out, and they said Я смотрю телевизор
Я не хочу чай
Я люблю путешествовать
Я люблю читать
Я очень люблю спорт
Он любит Москву
Надя не любит вино
Я знаю, что ты любишь музыку.

heh heh! :mrgreen:

photolady
01-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Great tip on using the bamboo/wood needles. I'm not brave enough to try socks yet, but I will be soon enough.

You're doing a great job! I've been enjoying watching your journey. I only hope the little Russian women come help me when I start. Do you temp them out?

No, I don't temp them out, however, you can find their sisters on Ebay.
Look under nesting dolls, or matryoshka dolls, I think that's how you spell it: http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Blue-Russian-Nesting-Dolls-5-Pc_W0QQitemZ250205839338QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2391QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Russian ladies are here, now, and are demanding to be fed, before they teach me ANY more about sock making!
Gotta go whip up some brownies!!
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/russianladies.jpg

photolady
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
yay photolady! I am loving your journey...I still haven't done more on my sock...can't concentrate long enough and keep coming up with new projects. They're short projects, but still--procrastinator! Anyway, thanks for posting it all!

DON'T BEEEE AFRAAAID! JOIN US! MAAAAKE A SOOOOCK!

:-P

cindycactus
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
iSN'T THAT MARVELOUS, THAT YOU CAN MAKE SOMETHING FOR YOUR GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER. I hear autism can be very difficult to deal with, and the autistic person will get upset over the most innocuous things.
Is communication difficult with your great granddaughter, or has everyone learned how best to approach her? Are autistic people generally afraid of anything new?

Yes it makes me feel so good that I can do something to help. Yes communication is the hardest part of this but she is making progress. She is very smart and the people who are with her most can communicate with her. I don't think she is afraid of new things but does seem to be happiest being alone. They have to work with her to socialize with other children. She has an older sister who has learned her language and helps with communication. Thanks for asking.

knittingymnast
01-18-2008, 06:10 PM

neither did I!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

knittingymnast
01-18-2008, 06:11 PM
maybe its not that funny....

knittingymnast
01-19-2008, 09:56 AM

me either! aswell, I love your avatar of "where is the end"!!!:roflhard:

photolady
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Yes it makes me feel so good that I can do something to help. Yes communication is the hardest part of this but she is making progress. She is very smart and the people who are with her most can communicate with her. I don't think she is afraid of new things but does seem to be happiest being alone. They have to work with her to socialize with other children. She has an older sister who has learned her language and helps with communication. Thanks for asking.

I asked, because I have a relative who has "autistic tendencies", and the thing about introducing new situations, or things, tends to freak them out. And, they like being alone, also. This person is very smart, in one or 2 areas. What is that other disorder called, asberger's syndrome...this relative seems to have that. But, when you look at the symptoms of asbergers, a LOT of people have that. The medical community has to label everything, I think.

photolady
01-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I have some advice for anyone knitting socks for THE FIRST TIME.

#1 use big needles, such as, a size 6, and inexpensive yarn

#2 knit 2 socks, and call them your "learning socks", so, you can
make all the mistakes you want, and not feel nervous about
the sock making process.

#3 by using junk yarn, and bigger needles, and knitting just to find out how to do it, and NOT knitting to make a sock gift, you don't feel stressed at all, and you learn much faster. No frustration, no worries about ruining some 12 dollar a ball sock yarn.

#4 On silvers tutorial, she says to remember which needle is number one, number 2, and number 3. The best way I've found to recall which is which, is, by attaching a piece of contrasting yarn to the stitches already done, on needle one. I was confused a few times this morning about which needle was #1, until I saw the little extra yarn tail I had tied on.

I've started on my second learning sock, using the big needles and the
cheap yarn, and I can confidently say I REALLY know now, how to make a gusset, how to discern btwn needles 1,2,and 3, and how to make a heel, REAL WELL. And, I'm going to keep this learning sock, just to show myself how much I've improved. Ya know?

knittingymnast
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
i started a sock and go to the toes. if you need help you can pm me or contact her via her website.

photolady
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
i started a sock and go to the toes. if you need help you can pm me or contact her via her website.

Are the toes hard? I've never attempted kitchener stitch.
Is kitchener stitch the only stitch that will close sock toes the "right"way?

photolady
01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
this is the gusset of my second sock, and, I'm very pleased with how much better it is constructed, than the first learner sock.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/sock2.jpg

photolady
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Coming along nicely with my sock, I'm finished with it, my "learner" sock, good for no one but me, to look at.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/finishsock-1.jpg

Here, I'm beginning the decrease, and it's all good.

Here, below, is the beginning of the kitchener stitch toe.
I must not have paid attention to every detail, because my toe doesn't look as good as Silver's.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173/nancy7771/readytosewtoe.jpg

For all of you out there, again, my advice for your first sock is to make it a learning sock, for no one but yourself.
Use cheap yarn, and bamboo dpns. Go slowly. Have fun, and like silver says at the end of her tutorial:
No matter how wonky it may have turned out, no matter how many mistakes you made, you have successfully knitted your first sock. Be proud of your work! You've learned the basics of how to shape a sock. Ribbing, slipping stitches, shaping the heel, the gusset and the toes. As well as how to knit on DPNs in the round! All IMPORTANT skills for the knitter to learn.

Go on, make more socks.. they'll only get nicer from here on out!

And, buddy, my sock looks wonky. :yay: :) :p :cool:

photolady
01-23-2008, 05:02 PM
P.S.

I got some nice sock yarn from my swap 2008 secret pal, Bree, so, when those get done, I'll post a photo of them.

I will post photos of lots of things, from spiders to clouds.

bethany
01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
hey! Look at you! Nice work. :) I PROMISE to get on those socks. I'm finishing a pompom for a hat and I'll get going. ;)

knit2btied
01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
What's that mean? ha ha ha ha! I think it will take 3 years for me to work off the last of my stash.
:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

I had a small stash and now have 1 and 3/4 socks knit!!! :aww:

photolady
01-24-2008, 12:26 PM
hey! Look at you! Nice work. :)

thank you! we just have to put our minds and wills to it.

Get that sock going! After you do the first one, it's easy.

photolady
01-24-2008, 12:27 PM
I had a small stash and now have 1 and 3/4 socks knit!!! :aww:

what kinds of yarn did you use? How do you do a gauge for the socks?

knit2btied
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
what kinds of yarn did you use? How do you do a gauge for the socks?

I'm using Plymouth's Sockotta Italian collection with size 2 DPNs. The guage on the package is US 2 = 7 sts per inch.

The first one fits me wonderfully, now if that second does the same! :woot: :roflhard:

photolady
01-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Very good. Care to share the pattern? Can you, or is it in a book?

knit2btied
01-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Very good. Care to share the pattern? Can you, or is it in a book?

Using Silver's Tutorial also. :teehee:

knit2btied
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
There was a big difference between knitting with the sockotta yarn and Jojoland Melody wool of the same sized thread! (I've just started my second pair of socks) The sockotta is a blend of wool/cotton/nylon while the Melody is just wool.

The Melody sure seems a lot more fragile and difficult to knit with. Anyone else notice a difference like that between the same weight threads? They are both fingering weight both size 2 needle= 7 st per inch.

Can't wait to feel the difference on my feet, and see if the wool is warmer and or cooler!

Silver
01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
I've been lurking in this thread, watching what you're all doing. You're all so funny and I'm so tickled that you've turned this into such a fun experience for everyone. Congratulations to those of you who have finished a sock (wonky or not!) And thank you for all the nice things you've said about me and my tutes. I'm so glad people love them like they do. :)

sonflowerjoela
01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Wanted to say thanks for the Silver's tip. I'm new to this forum and I really want to knit socks. I have crochet them. I found the Silver's sock class by doing a google search and am in the process. :muah: So I'm really excited. Thanks again, Joela:p

knittingymnast
01-27-2008, 11:37 AM
oh, i finished my socks. i think theyre really fast.