PDA

View Full Version : DPNs

knitmama
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I attempted the sock tutorial a few days ago and could not get the hang of dpns. I understand the concept but can't seem to make it work in reality. I've watched the video and everything. Has anyone else had trouble with this, and how did you figure it out? Any help is appreciated!:help:

Newbie2Knitting
01-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I've been using DPNs just a short while now and they're just a fiddly thing to get used to. You'll figure out your own way of holding the other needles out of your way and soon after you'll kinda forget they're even there. ;)

Eccie
01-11-2008, 06:27 PM
*nods* they just take some getting used to, practice practice

desamara
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
I've just started using dpns for the first time. At first it was really strange and the knitted piece didn't look right, but I just kept trying (and frogging and trying again). I wouldn't say that I've got it down perfectly, but I'm definitely better at it and the piece I'm knitting actually looks good. As the others have said, it just takes practice.

Now, if my cat would just stop jumping in my lap every time I go to knit, I could finish this sock...

Mirl56
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
You can try this: knit back & forth in rows for 3-5 rows. Then join them in a circle. It might be easier to handle all those little needles flopping around once you get a good 1/2" of knitting on them. when the socks are done, you can use the tail from the cast on to sew up the short opening.

Do this for 2-3 pairs of socks, then you'll be ready to join them in a circle at the cast on point.

knit2btied
01-11-2008, 10:11 PM
What kind are you using? I've heard that aluminum ones are prone to slipping out of the work. I use the wooden ones and once you get past the initial akwardness of using them they are not too bad to use.

knit2btied

Quiara
01-12-2008, 01:35 AM
If you're like me, you may have tried to cast on the required number over all three needles - 12 here, 14 there and 12 again or whatever. It's easiest (for me) to cast on the total amount of stitches on a single DPN, then slip them purlwise onto the various needles and THEN join. Does that make sense? And for a join, I always always always just swap the first and the last stitch. For me, it makes the smoothest, easiest join and it feels more stable than just knitting the first stitch.

miccisue
01-12-2008, 09:31 AM
I attempted the sock tutorial a few days ago and could not get the hang of dpns. I understand the concept but can't seem to make it work in reality. I've watched the video and everything. Has anyone else had trouble with this, and how did you figure it out? Any help is appreciated!:help:

Have you tried setting the socks aside and practicing on something else? My first (and only) project with dpns has been making little "goodie bags" for my upcoming class reunion.
The pattern I'm using is by Janelle Schlossman, and is called "Knitted Pouch". I haven't had a bit of trouble using the dpns on that, so maybe it's an easier project than what you were working on. If so, play with it and see if that doesn't help you get the hang of dpns (just use some scrap worsted weight yarn). It's worth a shot, anyway, and might just help a lot.
What problem are you having? One thing the lady at the LYS emphasized is that when dividing your stitches onto the 3 needles, you make sure the "cast on" edge is always facing to the inside on all 3 needles, otherwise you end up with a twist in the work (and that may not be your problem, it was just drilled into my brain :teehee: )
Good luck!!!!!!!!

knitmama
01-12-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone! I think maybe I will set the socks aside for now and just practice on scrap yarn til I can get. Having so many needles hanging around is making it very awkward for me, I have almost no coordination skills.:teehee: But I'm not giving up. Thank you for your encouragement and advice!:muah:

rosefields
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Try concentrating on the stitch and not the needles...keep trying :wink: you will get the hang of it!

suzeeq
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM
It may also help to practice on thicker yarn and larger needles than you would use to make socks. It's easier to get used to that way, so when you go back to the socks, won't be as hard.

LynnNH
01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
The first time I used DPNs, I swore I would never use them again. But I finished that mitten and made the mate. And then I started making socks. Now I really like them. Not all the time, but I do enjoy them. I usually hate the first few rounds, but once there is a bit of fabric there, it is much easier to keep the work the way you want it and the needles from flopping all over.

As someone else mentioned, I cast on all the stitches onto one needle, then distribute them to the others.

Good luck!

Mama Bear
01-12-2008, 10:57 PM
1. Bamboo or wood needles (as Quiara) so that you don't have to worry about the needles slipping out.
2. As knit2btied suggested, I always cast on to one needle, and then move them to the needles needed before connecting.
3. Remember that the first couple of rounds will be harder to control. Hang on and work through it and it will smooth out :)
4. Treat the needles you aren't working on as stitch holders. Just let them hang and don't think/worry about them. Basically it's working on two needles, with two stitch holders ;)
You might find it easier to get down the drill working in DK (on around a size 3 or 4 needle) or worsted (6 or 7 needle) first.
Mama Bear