PDA

View Full Version : Three WsIP!

Jan in CA
01-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I have several things on the needles that I am actively working on right now.

Silver's Palindrome Hat (http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindromehat.htm) in Plymouth Encore for DH. He picked out the pattern and color. I must have frogged this thing 5 times before I was happy. The ribbing just wasn't cutting it. That loose stitch between the knit and purl was driving me nuts. I finally worked out a method that worked for me so I can live with it. I kind of wish that the cables were centered (for my picky side), but that is the nature of the pattern. (It's not obvious till it's stretched out like on a head)
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/242572917-S.jpg

My fraternal socks made with Trekking XXL, size 1 and 0 needles. I split the yarn by weight and one ball seems to have more of the coral color so I've had to switch the balls. I may have to do it again. We'll see.
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/242572899-S.jpg

And finally my One Row Scarf (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006/10/12/one_row_handspun_scarf.html) from Yarn Harlot. It's in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted. I want to make a sweater with this yarn, but I am so sensitive to wool that I decided to make a scarf before I commit to buying a sweaters worth. So far it feels nice, but my neck will be the deciding factor. This is a super easy and mindless pattern!
http://purrcat-jan.smugmug.com/photos/242572907-S.jpg

momwolf
01-12-2008, 08:25 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_104.gifEverything looks great Jan!!!!!!!!

bethany
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
they look great...I love the "fraternal" socks...:)

auburnchick
01-12-2008, 09:12 PM
What beautiful yarn!!! I wanna go yarn shopping with you next time!!! :inlove:

knitqueen
01-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Looks great!

Pixywhispers
01-12-2008, 10:33 PM
I love the socks Jan! And the colors are falling so well on the scarf. Very pretty.

MerigoldinWA
01-13-2008, 04:46 AM
I like your husbands pick for his hat. It's looking good.

Socks are more fun when they don't look just alike. A lot less boring to knit too. I see you are doing the socks at the same time. Are they each on their own Magic Loop needle?

Nice yarn and stitch on the scarf too.

KnittingNat
01-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Go Jan! I really liked the socks! And the hat is turning out really beautiful...

sue in canada
01-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Everything looks great. Love all the yarn choices.

knitgal
01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Look great Jan! I absolutely LOVE that sock yarn.

dustinac
01-13-2008, 11:46 AM
:woohoo: Everything looks great!!

GiddyKnitter
01-13-2008, 01:01 PM
The hat is lovely and such a rich colour...The socks are fabulous...dont you just love knitting socks?

Jan in CA
01-13-2008, 01:51 PM
I see you are doing the socks at the same time. Are they each on their own Magic Loop needle?

I am doing them each on two needles. I like doing them this way best and doing both at once... no SSS! :teehee:

Thanks to everyone!

Jaxhil
01-13-2008, 05:15 PM
:muah:they are all gorgeous! I kinda like the "fraternal" socks, they're more unique :p

I love the color your using on the hat, and the scarf too!

Newbie2Knitting
01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Sign me up for another one who loves the sock yarn. Of cours, everything of yours looks fantastic. :muah:

scout52
01-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I love them all!! they all looks great!!

WandaT
01-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Beautiful - all of them!! Ditto on the gorgeous rich color of the hat ... love the differences in the socks too. So, how do you do both of them at the same time on different needles? Just switch back and forth? Do you do a certain number of rows on one and then pick the other one up, or do you do a section at a time? Sorry for the questions, I just want to gather all the information I can before starting my first pair. :)

Ronda
01-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Everything looks great, but I am in love with that sock yarn!! That is just gorgeous!

Slim
01-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Everything looks great! You have wonderful taste in yarn. Those socks are going to be beautiful, and I love the color of the hat! Very nice work.

Jan in CA
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
So, how do you do both of them at the same time on different needles?

I use the two circular needle method which requires two sets of circs. I bought 4 size one needles so each sock is on it's own two sets. I have each one in it's own ziploc just so I don't get them all tangled in my bag and which one I'm knitting on depends on which one I grab first mostly. ;) If I were only grabbing one all the time I'd probably switch them out to give them equal time.

BTW - There are 3 methods for knitting small diameter items like socks: Magic Loop which uses one long circular, DPNs, and two circular needles. There are videos of all three methods in the KH video section. ;)

WandaT
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
k, thanks - I've been doing most of my small diameter knitting using the ML method - DPNs drive me crazy. I have heard of doing both socks at the same time on the same needles though and I just can't picture that. I have a friend who does it all the time. Maybe I'll get her to show me again once I have the basic sock idea down.

Jan in CA
01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
k, thanks - I've been doing most of my small diameter knitting using the ML method - DPNs drive me crazy. I have heard of doing both socks at the same time on the same needles though and I just can't picture that. I have a friend who does it all the time. Maybe I'll get her to show me again once I have the basic sock idea down.

Silver has a sock tutorial for two socks on one magic loop. Check that out, too. ;)

veekcee
01-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Great job on all your projects! They look great!

When I made a pair of socks for my grandson, using self-striping yarn, I tried to start the second sock at about the same spot, color wise, as the first so the stripes would match (my picky side). I almost made it, they were off by just a little bit. Not enough to notice while wearing. Your socks look great and next time I won't be so picky. ;)

HamaLee
01-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Lookin' good, that scarf looks yummy.