PDA

View Full Version : DONE with 'em (Options)

kellyh57
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
I know, everyone here is ecstatic about them, but I'm fed up! Three of my four cables have now come undone from the connector part. I'm sick of it! I wasted about an hour last night getting the stitches back on, realigned, recounted, etc. I called last week about the first two to break and they're supposedly shipping out the replacement cables, but come on...I don't want to have to put a life line in just because I can't trust my needles! I don't need this to worry about. Yeah, they may be nice to knit with being nickel and all, but the quality of them SUCKS! You think they could stick a drop of glue in them themselves instead of waiting for us to get them, break them and do it ourselves. I've been using them for 13 days. I'm within my 30 day return policy, but I lose the $10 extra my husband paid for fast shipping. Ugh. I guess there's a $10 lesson I learned the hard way!

I really thought it wasn't that big of deal. I've heard that they do break and all, but there was SO many good comments on them I figured it was worth it. I can't believe after selling so many of them and replacing so many peoples' as they obviously do, that they'd get smart and bump up the quality. I think they've done just the opposite and they've gone downhill. Ugh. What a nightmare.

/Rant over. I just had to vent! I'm ordering Denise's later today.

Kelly

Jan in CA
01-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I've never had any trouble with mine (knock on wood). I'm sorry you aren't happy. The Denise needles are quite different. I hope you like them!:hug:

Newbie2Knitting
01-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Huh. I've heard so many people say this about their Options and it really does make me think twice about getting them. I have the Denise set and I've had no problem with the cable coming undone, but I still really would like something with a thinner cable... I guess we always want what we don't have, huh?

Ingrid
01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
I haven't had a problem, either. I'm sorry they haven't worked out for you.

cindycactus
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I love my options and have not had a problem with them. Sorry you do!:knitting:

ChrissyB
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Two of my cables came undone when I first got them. About 10 minutes and a couple drops of super glue and I have never had a problem since, well over a year now. Yes, it is a little aggrevating when it happens, but if you just fix it and move on they are definatly worth it, at least in my opinion. I recently started doing magic loop with them and was worried about the stress on the joins, but no problems.

KathD
01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
I understand you're frustration. When you buy something you expect it to be right and its worse when it makes extra work for you. Sorry you've been unhappy with them.:hair:

GinnyG
01-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Just be forewarned, the reason I ordered my Options is because the Denise came apart so very often. I NEVER made a project with them that the needle and cable didn't seperate at least once and frequently it was several times.

I'm on my second sweater with my Options and haven't had a break yet.

I'm sorry you are having such a difficulty time.

bip
01-14-2008, 06:07 PM
About 10 minutes and a couple drops of super glue and I have never had a problem since, well over a year now. Yes, it is a little aggrevating when it happens, but if you just fix it and move on they are definatly worth it, at least in my opinion.

Two of mine have come off. I used Zap-a-Gap, special kind of superglue for fishermen. They held about a week. Fortunately, KP replaced them, but I get very nervous that they are going to break again. I don't use them for any project that might put weight on the cables, such as sweaters in the round or afghans.

Sigh, I don't know, there are problems with my Boye set too. I guess you just choose your poison

Jaxhil
01-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I am sorry you've had such problems with them! I like mine, but honestly, if I were in your shoes I'd be thinking the same thing.

I do have the Denise set, and for the record, I like them just as much (if not more) than my Options. They are SOO, so easy to put together, and much more versatile as far as the lengths you can make (plus the endcaps for flexible needles of course). They're quiet, and warmer than metal too. And I have done magic loop with them too :teehee:it was a bit bulky, but it'll work :p. Also, they come with more tips (sizes 5-15 instead of 4-11). Okay, only one more, but still! And I love how organized the case is-I *really* dislike the Options case! I only bought the Options because I couldn't afford all the Addis I wanted :mrgreen:

And my Denises have *never* come apart in a project.

Anyway, I really hope you are happy with your Denises-good luck!

Jens
01-14-2008, 06:26 PM
This disturbs me cause I my dh just bought both sets of options for me. If they fall apart we will both be pi$$ed. To me if they need to be glued together then knitpicks should add a little glue before selling them. just crossing my fingers and hoping mine will stay together....
Jen

scubasinger
01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Been using mine almost daily for 9 months with no problems at all. There have been only two times that I recall that they started to unscrew: once when I was doing a huge cable that was putting a lot of torque on the needle and once when I tried to cheat and not use the little tightening key.

I have never had the problem some have had with the cable actually popping out of its socket.

psquidy
01-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I've been debating on buying these things or not. I have so many circs now i just don't know if i need them or not. I am the kind of person who wants something i paid for to work, if i can fix it or not i don't care if i paid for it i don't feel i should have to fix it. So I totally understand why you say your done with them.

Jennyloves2knit
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
I am sorry you don't like them. I, also, understand that can be frustrating :hug: I purchased a Denise set this weekend and I LOVE them. :knitting:

BinkyKat
01-14-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been using them for 13 days. I'm within my 30 day return policy, but I lose the $10 extra my husband paid for fast shipping. Ugh. I guess there's a $10 lesson I learned the hard way!
Kelly

Are they charging you for delivery of replacements? :??
I had long past the 30 day mark when I discovered that one hole in the metal cap on the cord was too small for the pin thingy for tightening to fit. I emailed them the best guess as to when I had actually ordered my Options and without question, I got an email telling me when the replacement was being sent out.
Even though they seem to always send replacements, based on what I have read here, I am kinda surprised that they don't make mention of it publicly. It doesn't seem that the problems have stopped, again based on what people report here. But I would feel totally like you do now having gotten a set so recently and the problems that have gone on for a while don't seem to be stopping.
I hope things work out for you in the long run ! :thumbsup:

Slim
01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
I think I understand how you feel. I'm having problems at the moment with a defective 40" Options cable, and also with the replacement cables they sent. I don't understand why they can't get these quality issues under control. I guess it costs them less to send out replacements endlessly, than to correct the manufacturing problems. Still, overall I'm happy with my Options. I love knitting with them, and have never had a problem until now. I like them better than Addis because of the sharper tips, and much better than Denise because they're so fast.
I hope you find a set of needles you enjoy using. Knitting should be fun!

Debbie
01-14-2008, 10:48 PM
I've been using mine for over a year and have not had any problems. I hope you find some needles that you are happy with.

kellyh57
01-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I've been thinking about it all day. I haven't touched my knitting either. I'm so afraid of it falling apart again. I did glue one of the cables, but I'm frustrated. I just think it's really sad that they can't do that themselves. I don't want to wait past my 30 day return so I need to make the decision this week. This is stressing me out and I don't like that :(

It is a sweater in the round, by the way, my first...I had no idea that it would be too much on the needles. I like to make big things so I can't imagine what would happen with an afghan or when I'm further along on the sweater. If the needles aren't made for holding a whole item, they should tell you that.

Kelly

saracidaltendencies
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm so sorry that happened, that is so frustrating! I don't have an Options set, but I do have a Boye and Denise set. There was only one time one of my Boye cables came unscrewed and that was because I was too lazy to dig out the tightening pin and do it correctly...lol...I make sure to use the tightening pin every time now, and, I haven't had any problems since. My Denise set, however, is a different story. While I still really like the Denise set and use it often, I have had the cables come off, more than once, right in the middle of a project. I have made it a habit now, when using my Denise set, to make sure the cables are secure as I'm knitting. The first time it happened, I had no idea what happened until more and more stitches fell off...Grr!

Jens
01-14-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been thinking about it all day. I haven't touched my knitting either. I'm so afraid of it falling apart again. I did glue one of the cables, but I'm frustrated. I just think it's really sad that they can't do that themselves. I don't want to wait past my 30 day return so I need to make the decision this week. This is stressing me out and I don't like that :(

It is a sweater in the round, by the way, my first...I had no idea that it would be too much on the needles. I like to make big things so I can't imagine what would happen with an afghan or when I'm further along on the sweater. If the needles aren't made for holding a whole item, they should tell you that.

Kelly
The thing is they should hold a sweater!! Why buy cirs if you are only going to make something small? I'm really going to check mine when they get here. If they're junk i'm returning them and getting something else.
Jen

dreamsherl
01-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I stick by my Addi's. I've never had any problems.

2sweetgirls38
01-14-2008, 11:30 PM
So sorry this is happening to you. I have the Denise set and LOVE it. I love the flexibility of the cable. The size of it doesn't bother me. Hopefully you'll get this all straigtened out.

starburst
01-15-2008, 12:46 AM
I have the Denise set and I've never had a problem with the cables separating from the needle. Today I did have a problem that the cable and the little black piece at the end of it started to come apart, but I pushed them together and didn't have another problem. If it were to happen again, I would send it back though. After I pushed them back together, I pulled on both ends fairly hard and it didn't come apart, so I'm not too terribly worried.

ArtLady1981
01-15-2008, 05:43 AM
I haven't had any cables come undone except one...the 40" cable.
I'm callin' them tomorrow.

You know, maybe they have a bad batch of glue or somethin'.
I'm going to ask.

Crystal Palace had some 'coming apart' issues about 2 years ago...and since then, they have remedied the quality control issues.
It was the glue. But their circs were very dependable for years and years, then they had a problem...and since the issue was fixed...they can be counted on again! :thumbsup:

I am sorry that you have had such a frustrating experience with your OPTIONS. :cry:

The.Knitter
01-15-2008, 06:02 AM
I love my Denise set. I have used it exclusively since I got it in the fall. I have never had a problem with the tips coming undone. Keep a paperclip handy (with one end unbent, I keep mine in the case with the needles and even the instructions tell you to do this) to give the needle that 1/4 turn it needs in order to lock the tip in and you won't have any problems. And yes, the case is fantastic and sooo organized! I have not tried ML yet with my Denise set, but will be doing so in the near future.

Sorry your Options did not work out for you. Best of luck with your new Denise interchangables.

bip
01-15-2008, 10:38 AM

Kelly

That's how I feel too! I don't want a set of needles I can only use for smaller items, especially since I can't use them for socks (I need sz 1-3 needles for socks, I don't like bulkier socks). What exactly am I supposed to knit with them?

tropicallie
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I hate my options. I love my boyes. Go figure. I'm still waiting for the replacement for 3 of the 4 cables and an end cap that came with my options set. The cables have had issues since KnitPicks started selling the things. There has been more than enough time for them to get their quality issues solved. I think they just don't care. No one should have to carry glue in their knitting bag because they can't trust their needles. I also prefer the boye case. Lots smaller and much more organized.

iza
01-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I have two regular circs from KnitPitcks (size 1-2) and I adore them, but I'm hesitating to get the Options because of all the issues with the cables. :shrug: It's frustrating - it's definitely a problem they've been having for a long time and it's not getting better. I don't want to spend the money if I'm unsure of the quality. :pout:

I suppose if you're looking for Addi's-like needles in an interchangeable set, it's an awesome deal regardless of these problems. But if you're happy with bamboo or resin needles, it's not as attractive.

justsmi
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
oh boy. I just bought some of the Options interchangeables. I haven't even got them yet, and now i'm nervous. I'm on a pretty tight budget, and these were the most affordable option i have right now, i hope they don't turn out to be terrible. The only other circular needle i have is a boye fixed set, and i can't seem to get it to stop coiling up on itself. (can you tell i'm a newbie to knitting?)

bip
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
The only other circular needle i have is a boye fixed set, and i can't seem to get it to stop coiling up on itself. (can you tell i'm a newbie to knitting?)

That's not because you are new, it's just the way they are. You are supposed to be able to soften them up in boiling water, but even that doesn't always solve the problem (not to mention you don't always feel like boiling a pot of water every time you want to switch needle sizes or start a new project!) When my mom taught me to knit, she handed me down her set of fixed Boyes. You would think being ~30 years old would soften those cables up a little! Nope, they are probably more stiff than they originally were! I use them for very big, heavy projects that keep the needles behaved.

Debkcs
01-15-2008, 01:17 PM
We're all having such different experiences, it's kind of funny to read. I've never had a problem with my Denise set, except when I don't attach a needle to the cord right. If they came apart and I lost stitches, I'd be frantic.

Good luck with whatever you wind up with next.

Kithic
01-15-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry you have had so many issues with them! I've had my options for over a year and have never experienced any problems.

Jan in CA
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
oh boy. I just bought some of the Options interchangeables. I haven't even got them yet, and now i'm nervous.

For you and everyone who is considering ordering them.. keep this in mind. People who have problems are the most vocal so of course you hear about issues with them. Those of us who haven't had problems aren't going to make a lot of posts about how our needles are perfect with no problems. I would bet there have been thousands of knitters who bought Options and that there are really only a small group who have issues. Knitpicks has fabulous customer service and will replace any cord/needles no questions asked.

This is not to make light of anyone who is having problems and I completely understand that some of you may not want to deal with it anymore. :hug:

ArtLady1981
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
As I posted earlier, I have a 40" cable come undone a bit. Not quite all the way...but enough to snag the yarn.

I called KP this morning, and even though I bought these cables in June 2006...they are sending me a new cable! I didn't have my receipt ready, but she found me in the system...then I found my receipt for her...and she was surprised I had ordered them so long ago. She didn't hesitate to replace my 40" cable. I told her that I don't use the 40" often.

She said they are working on the quality control issues.

I also mentioned that one of our forum members had the Post Office break her Harmony's in the mail. The customer service rep said they guarantee that, too. They also guarantee "lost in the mail" issues as well.

They don't want to lose their customers, and want to keep us happy, she said.

IMHO...Options and Harmony's are so great to knit with, such a great concept, and affordably priced...I don't want to give up on them. Maybe they are experiencing the growing pains that every new product goes through. (Like, Windows XP and now, Vista!)

bjc1050
01-16-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm glad that I haven't wasted my money on the Options. If you have to glue the cables to the needles, then they wouldn't be interchangeable anymore - would they? I'll stick with my Addi's, Inox Express, or Susan Bates Silverado.

bip
01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm glad that I haven't wasted my money on the Options. If you have to glue the cables to the needles, then they wouldn't be interchangeable anymore - would they? I'll stick with my Addi's, Inox Express, or Susan Bates Silverado.

You don't have to glue the needles to the cables, that wouldn't fix the problem. Where they are coming apart for most of us who have had problems, is 100% on the cable side of things. If you look on the Options homepage, you can see at the end of the purple cable, there is a little silver piece that screws into the tips. It is this little sliver piece that is coming off the purple cable. It is supposed to be fixed! It is not the part that screws. We are having to glue the cables back into the part that screws into the tips...and the glue is holding for some and not for others (me, for example).

I have to say that if they fixed this problem, I would PAY to replace all my original cables, I otherwise like the set that much. But as they are now, I can only trust them for certain kinds of projects (light, flat, no yos or complicated inc/dec).

PCwombat
01-16-2008, 04:43 PM
I haven't had my Options long, only about a month or so, but I haven't had any problems yet. I love them. So shiny and smooth and fast!

I agree with Jan, most people who don't have any problems aren't going to post. So, even though some people have had problems, there are most likely many more who haven't.

Quiltlady
01-16-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry you are having problems with yours. It would be very frustrating for that to keep happening.
I have the Harmony set and so far so good.

Crycket
01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
I haven't tried options, only cause the denise set came with more sizes. I have not had a problem with Denise, and as long as I don't, I will not bother with Options. I refuse to buy Boye simply cause every needle I own of theirs, the paint or coating starts wearing off where the needles rub together, and to me, it gets to the point where it feels like nails on a chalk board.