PDA

View Full Version : Hello all Canuck knitters!!

Darcia
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm brand spanking new here and would like to say a big hello to all knitters out there, especially us Canadians. Any others who are happy stay at home mommy's? How is everyone's winter going? I love these 'snow days cause we just stay at home and play, do crafts and KNIT!:knitting:

The.Knitter
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Welcome to our wonderful world of knitting addiction. I too am Canadian but I think I am more in the middle than you are. There was no snow day today here because we only had a dusting. I hope you didn't get hit too badly.

Have a great evening!

Dangles
01-15-2008, 08:52 PM
Hello, from the west coast!

Darcia
01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello Dangels! Coast to coast! Your having supper and I'm getting ready for bed, well, soon. After some..:knitting: I actually am from E-town (Edmonton) originally, then Whitehorse for 7+ years then Kamloops then here! All in all I have to say either coasts are the best. There is nothing like being near the ocean. This coast is just a little less expensive for a young family.

Hello The.Knitter! We are OK. This storm was nothing like the other what 5?:hmm: We have had. I don't mind the snow. It is the cold I'm not fond of and the Yukon was great for that. Pretty windy here now though.

Love everyone's nicknames.

Right now knitting a little backpack with a chevron pattern.

iza
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
:waving: Hello from Quebec, and welcome! You're from Atlantic Canada? My boyfriend is from New Brunswick and we try to go visit 2-3 times during the year. I love it! Now if only it didn't snow that much... :teehee:

Krystal
01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Hello from the most Southern City in Canada... :D

I lived for a brief period in Nova Scotia when I was 5. I loved it there. I remember frequent visits to foggy beaches collecting shells and poking beached jelly fish with sticks...

Living near the ocean was amazing.

Dangles
01-16-2008, 01:21 AM
Hello Dangels! Coast to coast! Your having supper and I'm getting ready for bed, well, soon. After some..:knitting: I actually am from E-town (Edmonton) originally, then Whitehorse for 7+ years then Kamloops then here! All in all I have to say either coasts are the best. There is nothing like being near the ocean. This coast is just a little less expensive for a young family.

Hello The.Knitter! We are OK. This storm was nothing like the other what 5?:hmm: We have had. I don't mind the snow. It is the cold I'm not fond of and the Yukon was great for that. Pretty windy here now though.

Love everyone's nicknames.

Right now knitting a little backpack with a chevron pattern.

Ah yes, E-town aka Deadmonton! My in-laws are there.... we usually go up every Christmas but we did not this year. Ugh tell me about expenses! One day, I'd like to take my kids to see the Atlantic Coast. Geez with what we are in now we can get a mansion and then some out there. Oop, gotta fly.

alleusion
01-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Hello from Southern Ontario! I'm a new transplant here myself. I've been in Southern California since I was 8 years old, and just moved here to get married this past August. The cold is definitely a shock to mine and my children's San Diego systems, but we're getting used to it. Am I nuts to say that I'm in love with the snow? From the light dustings to the accumulations, I love it. I hate the snow plow man though....with a passion that knows no end. Anyone know how to knit a voodoo doll?

Darcia
01-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Hello iza! Ya, it sure is allot of snow, but it is just so pretty when it sticks to everything.

Hello Krystal! How do you like Ontario? I have never stopped, only Ottawa and Toronto airports.

Dangles Hello! Yes, Edmonchuk. It makes me sad what a 'boom' can do to a city. My husband and I just don't get the whole 'keep up with the Jone's' attitude. Here you can be yourself and do not feel you are being judged by your size of your house or how many trucks you have.

alleusion Hello and welcome to snowy Canada! We sure talk about the weather allot eh?

Krystal
01-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Am I nuts to say that I'm in love with the snow? From the light dustings to the accumulations, I love it. I hate the snow plow man though....with a passion that knows no end. Anyone know how to knit a voodoo doll?

Hello Krystal! How do you like Ontario? I have never stopped, only Ottawa and Toronto airports.

I don't think you are nuts, Alleusion. Snow is one of my favourite things. I love every season... but winter is my favourite. Even when I get sick of the cold, as long as everything is white and glittery I can deal with it.

Darcia, I love Ontario, we get a pretty wide range of weather here, ridiculously hot summers, very humid and very very cold winters I don't mind so much, like I said before, I love every season... :inlove:

I am so far South I am a bit Americanized though. The majority of my tv and radio and news is all Detroit, so I grew up knowing American Fahrenheit ... When I lived a teensy bit farther North-West Ontario for College everything was Celsius and I was so confused. :rofl:

knitqueen
01-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Even further on the west coast (or the left coast as we affectionately call it! :teehee:), hello from Vancouver Island! :waving:

I am also a stay at home mom to two little boys...well not so little anymore, they are 4 and 6 and time flies!

Darcia
01-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Good Morning Knitqueen! Love your name.

Being a stay at home mom rocks. What is your favorite part of it? Mine is planning and doing activities with my dds. Anything from going on a hike and collecting rocks to baking... you name it.

knitgal
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey Darcia- another Southern Ontarian here. I grew up in Toronto and I currently live in Brantford- near Hamilton. Welcome to KH!

chocogirl
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
YAY....I'm from Ontario....hehehe...

Loving this website so much, and everyone's so nice and helpful.

bonstance
01-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Am I the only one currently hailing from Alberta? I'm in Athabasca, which is a small town about an hour and a half north of Edmonton. I'm a piano teacher and a mom to twin girls who will be five in March. And boy am I looking forward to spring! :)

Dangles
01-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Even further on the west coast (or the left coast as we affectionately call it! :teehee:), hello from Vancouver Island! :waving:

I am also a stay at home mom to two little boys...well not so little anymore, they are 4 and 6 and time flies!

Hi fellow, BC'er! You out in beautiful Victoria?

knitqueen
01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Not Victoria....Nanaimo. We love it here.

Janiegirl
01-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Hello from Calgary! :waving: I'm also a SoCal transplant! I've been here for about 2 years now. I'm starting to get used to the cold, but not the snow. We don't get 'pretty' snow here. Once the morning rush has died down, all we have left is dirty, filthy, slushy yucky, snow. :ick: I never expected winter would be so filthy! I'm looking forward to spring, when I can go work in my garden :happydance:. Of course I get pretty dirty after gardening too, but at least I'm warm LOL. And for now I have my knitting to keep me busy! :knitting:

Darcia
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Beware Janiegirl, in Alberta there is another season before spring, called 'BROWN'. The snow melts and/or evaporates, it is dry and still cold and WINDY. It happens mid-March-about end of April.

bonstance
01-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Janiegirl, I know what you mean about dirty snow! It's really pretty first thing in the morning, but by the time the snowplows have been out, it just looks grimy... Ha ha... Fellow Albertan!

YarnKitten
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Hey, another Maritime knitter. I'm down in southern New Brunswick with our ... odd weather this year. Huge snowstorms one day and now the snow is melting like CRAZY off all the buildings. Fun fun.

Darcia
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello from across the bridge. YarnKitten!
Yes, the snow here is crazy too. I think we ave had four BIG storms now.

Dangles
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
knitqueen: The Island is so beautiful. We've friends that reside in Colwood. You can see the bay from their place.

to all you Albertans, I sympathise with you about the brown ... my ILs live in Edmonton... we usually go up every Christmas. We did not go up this year though ... too much of a hassle with two toddlers. Perhaps we'll drive up in the summer.

knitspin2001
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Hello from Langley BC (a burb of Vancouver) where this morning we have 15cm of snow and the ground and it's officially a "snow day" so I am catching up on some forum reading! I am originally from Toronto (where they believe in snow plows and road salt!!).

Just came back from Victoria this weekend where a LYS was hosting Sally Melville workshops. I have taken most of them when I lived in TO but really wanted to hear her creativity talk again (and I am really very glad I went and did hear it again, very inspiring!!).

Marilyn

alleusion
01-29-2008, 03:30 PM
I am originally from Toronto (where they believe in snow plows and road salt!!).

I have to giggle over this....after I came back from dropping DH off this morning, there was a salt truck going down my road. Keep in mind there is NO SNOW on the roads right now. It's not even supposed to snow here for another day or so. We have minimal snow in pockets on the sidewalks and under bushes and trees, but nothing on the road....and yet, there was the salt truck, plodding along dropping salt all over the road. I actually considered getting a shovel and using it on my driveway for the next time it snows.

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I have to giggle over this....after I came back from dropping DH off this morning, there was a salt truck going down my road. Keep in mind there is NO SNOW on the roads right now. It's not even supposed to snow here for another day or so. We have minimal snow in pockets on the sidewalks and under bushes and trees, but nothing on the road....and yet, there was the salt truck, plodding along dropping salt all over the road. I actually considered getting a shovel and using it on my driveway for the next time it snows.

They have to use up our tax dollars somewhere. Hazel (the mayor) won't let them sit on their behinds and get paid for it. Out they come and salt the roads so the melted snow does not freeze overnight. Silly city workers (but I guess they are only following orders from higher places)!!! Actually, I think you live in a condo complex, so it has nothing to do with the city, it's the condo management you have to blame for that stunt. Welcome to Global Warming in the "great white north".

gingergal4l8r
02-09-2008, 01:19 AM
Well hello to all my fellow Canucks.... :cheering:

Vancouver Island is where I am at....

Cheers to all

knitspin2001
02-09-2008, 12:55 PM
They have to use up our tax dollars somewhere. Hazel (the mayor) won't let them sit on their behinds and get paid for it. Out they come and salt the roads so the melted snow does not freeze overnight. Silly city workers (but I guess they are only following orders from higher places)!!! Actually, I think you live in a condo complex, so it has nothing to do with the city, it's the condo management you have to blame for that stunt. Welcome to Global Warming in the "great white north".

And we have a salt shortage out here so they are now mixing in sand!! Complaints already that sand makes more spring-time mess to cleanup:???: Isn't that what good ol' BC rain is supposed to do?:roflhard:
We had 3cm, yup, 3cm here in Langley on Tuesday morning and it was chaos--hills were not salted and I saw 4 cars in the ditch on 1 major hill and it took 10 minutes for the bus I was on to get down that hill (a bus that was 40 minutes late on a 30 minute run!!). Actually, unfortunately there was a truck driver killed that morning not far from that hill because of road conditions (wet slusy stuff that turns to ice quickly) and 50 students at a local university had to sleep on mats in the gym because of road conditions. And to think in exactly 2 years time we are hosting the Olympics out here. They can't move people on a daily basis, how on earth are they going to manage then (better ship us some of that extra Mississauga salt me thinks:rofl: )

Marilyn

alleusion
02-09-2008, 11:28 PM
DH and I went waddling tonight and there was one section of the road that had a ton of salt dumped on it. I joked with him that we should scoop it up and use on our driveway.

bearlady
02-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I'ts great to meet other knitters. I'm in Dartmouth Nova Scotia. Any other Bluenosers out there?

I've stayed home with my kids too. They are growing up and getting independant but still look for Mom at home when they step through the door.

I don't get to knit as much as I would like as I work from home but have managed to get some socks done in the evenings when I didn't have to work.:grphug:

Sandi
02-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Hi bearlady! I'm from Amherst, now live in Calgary!

zigwash
02-13-2008, 12:06 PM
new brunswick..:)