PDA

View Full Version : OMG! The Yarn Harlot's Blog

Spikey
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Has anyone The Yarn Harlot's blog this past week? :thumbsup: I just read her post from yesterday. :roflhard: She has such a way with words and knitting, she never ceases to entertain.

To truly appreciate the 1/15 post, you need to start with the 1/9 post http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2008/01/09/knitter_fun.html

That woman is crazy!

Babyduck87
01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
i know! she is amazing! those tiny little leaves! i am pretty much in awe of her!

bethany
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
oh, those are cute..

Plantgoddess+
01-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Wow! That is incredible and what a hoot she is. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that and had the incredible urge to go price the kit and drive myself insane.

Newbie2Knitting
01-16-2008, 10:54 AM
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?!?:chair:

Those are some truly amazing socks she's got going there. I think it's pretty safe to say I will never, ever touch that kit.

Lisa R.
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I do, I really do feel great sympathy about it all unraveling like that. But ya know? I have to take encouragement in knowing that even a famous, expert knitter like that can have such things happen. It actually gives me hope. :)

I love her writing, btw.

KnitTwit
01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Holy crap!!! I think I've just been truly inspired to learn how to knit socks!! :knitting:

Her blog is always a hoot and she really is an inspiration to all knitters.

Eccie
01-16-2008, 12:10 PM
I always read her blog and when she posted that yesterday i felt her pain all the way from Canada :P If you like the blog, her books are just like it. I got three of them for the holidays :)

knitmama
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
She is too funny!:roflhard: Wow, that sock scares me. I can only hope to achieve her kind of skills some day.:notworthy:

msoebel
01-16-2008, 12:27 PM
This is exactly the reason why my darling dh says I cannot possibly like knitting as much as I say I do.

How can you love something that causes so much frustration, he says, as I frog out yet another project that I am doing to teach me something new...lace, cables, dpns...

Personally, I think it's the muttering that does it.

Her blog is sooo funny. I don't have enough crazy in me to take on grape leaf socks (I'm so in awe!) but it definitely sounds familiar. We knitters are a little crazy.

Jan in CA
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I have a link to her blog on my homepage so I see it every day. Hilarious! She has such a way with words! :roflhard:

And I will never make those socks...then again I said I'd never make another scarf and I am.. :teehee:

cds11
01-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I must say that I've never actually read her blog before... and now I have no idea why I waited so long... I loved the Yarn Harlot, I'm working my way through Knitting Rules (I'm loving the mix of practical knowledge with just pure funness).
I sat here with my hand over my mouth at just the idea of that sock falling... In some ways I think she's crazy for attempting such a sock, it sounds so intricate, yet so exciting... I could see me attempting something like that sometime, the challenge of it makes it fun. (I made myself the Rib and Lace Tank Top from IK over the summer when I had just taught myself to knit in late January, my mom thought I was nuts)

alleusion
01-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I read that yesterday when she posted it. I started out thinking "Wow that sock looks great"...when I got to the part where she dropped it and ...plink plink plink...my jaw dropped. I so felt her pain, but had to giggle at her reaction and what she posted. I check her blog daily, it's such an entertaining read.

Debkcs
01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
That's hilarious, not that she dropped it and it frogged itself, but that she can then write about it. Probably helps her hold onto her sanity.

I was sitting in Borders' one day reading her books, LOL, the guy next to me said, "A KNITTING book is funny?"

2sweetgirls38
01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
I LOVE the Yarn Harlot. I read her every day. I've actually got to get over there today and catch up on the sock saga. Those leaves are so cute, I dream of the day to be that good.

Slim
01-16-2008, 07:19 PM
That's just hilarious! I laughed till I cried. She's a wonderfully talented writer (and knitter, of course)!

gatorjade
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I have her blog bookmarked in my favorites. Reading it is the highlight of my day!

KathD
01-16-2008, 10:03 PM
oooo yeah....those little tiny leaves in all those yummy colors. I can relate to that kind of crazy:hug::happydance:

knitgal
01-16-2008, 10:07 PM
I absolutely love her! I grew up in Toronto, so I love when she mentions little bits about Canadian/Torontonian culture. I love her books and I try to read her blog as often as she updates it. It really does make knitting funny!

Lady Violet
01-17-2008, 10:51 PM
when the sock fell :noway:, i stopped breathing.
when a blog post is titled like that, it's never a good thing. reading her near-daily blogs is like actually experiencing it with her. if there are other people in the house while i'm reading her blog, i kind of have to be careful that i don't laugh too loud. people have actually complained before - namely my mother. hey, that's what they're for, right? :teehee:

Sunshine's Mom
01-18-2008, 12:08 PM
If I start muttering about something that "happened" while knitting - my husband immediately pops up with "I didn't do it!", which cracks me up. However, since I'm still aggravated I tell him to just be quiet and, "whatever you do, just back away slowly."