PDA

View Full Version : Knitting in film

Darcia
01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Here is a sort of trivia. I was thinking of when I have ever seen people knitting in movies. There are some scenes I remember but being terrible with movie trivia I cannot think of the name of the actors movie name. So I am asking if you all know of knitting in movies. Not as the main theme, but just where someone is knitting.

There is one where the actor, the main character is sent to a small town in Newfoundland to write for their paper. The woman, red hair, has children in a home care and she knits while watching hockey. I think it was made in the last decade. :think: UGGGH! I just can't remember any more!

Catz
01-16-2008, 12:14 PM
There's knitting in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. Granted they're knitting by themselves but its still knitting :roflhard:

saracidaltendencies
01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
I can think of only one right now and it was a small scene...The movie is Antibodies. There is a scene where they show the main character talking to his wife and she is knitting. Really interesting movie, though definitely not for the squeamish.

p0tato
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I know it's not a movie, but...

Season seven episode nine of Gilmore Girls has a heavy focus on knitting.

spectorkitty
01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I watched Friday the 13th part three the other day, and right in the beginning a lady is knitting, then missing one of her needles, and ack...Jason kills her with a knitting needle.

I thought it was kind of amusing but then I'm weird that way.

hainangel2000
01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Does this apply for cartoons? Wallas and grammet or chicken run:yay:

Darcia
01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
:roflhard: These are great. Now I want to rent these just to see.

I :heart: Gilmore Girls. Used to watch it all the time but stopped as I don't know what channel and time it is on here, or are they still running it?

Quiltlady
01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I can't remember the name of the movie but Bette Davis has knit in a movie. :knitting:

Phaedra
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I think Anne Bancroft's character in 'night Mother (with Sissy Spacek) knits. Great movie!

knitncook
01-16-2008, 07:50 PM
there is knitting in Raising Helen - several times.

kayeknit
01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
I think I remember Rebecca DeMornay sitting and knitting in a rocking chair on the front porch in "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle"...Creepy.
:shifty:

The.Knitter
01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I know it's not a movie, but...

Season seven episode nine of Gilmore Girls has a heavy focus on knitting.

I miss the Gilmore Girls series. DH and I never missed an episode. We were so upset when they cancelled it. However, I don't remember an episode where it was heavy on the knitting. Is there a way to see that episode?

auburnchick
01-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I watched Friday the 13th part three the other day, and right in the beginning a lady is knitting, then missing one of her needles, and ack...Jason kills her with a knitting needle.

I thought it was kind of amusing but then I'm weird that way.

Actually, the first Friday the 13th has Jamie Lee Curtis babysitting and knitting after the kids go to bed. She winds up stabbing Jason with the needle. Course, this was all I saw because when I saw some of the other stuff in the movie, I put it away...don't like scary and/or sex in my movies. So, knitting could be sprinkled throughout the series.

ecb
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
What about the old classic where Carey Grant learns to knit to prove to a woman he is worth her time?
then later on he actually starts teaching his big-n-burley body guards how to knit, and is correcting "no, you PURL here, and don't knit till there" or something like that
There was another movie where one of the fairly unimportant background caracters is kind-of obsessivly knitting something (focussing in close, always sitting and knitting on a bus or a cafe) Wish I remmebered that movie, but I did not like the main plot
many of the shirley temple movies have her caregivers knitting to pass the time.
that is all I can think of right now

ecb

CountryKitty
01-16-2008, 09:40 PM
One that comes to mind is (I think) A Tale of Two Cities (black and white, made in the 30's-40's), about the French Revolution, where during the trials and later the decapitaions one woman is knitting furiously.

Then there is the more recent Daredevil where the evil Bullseye is being driven to distraction on an airplane by an elderly woman in the next seat--who knits and talks nonstop.

yarnrainbow
01-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I can't remember the name of the movie but Bette Davis has knit in a movie. :knitting:

Are you thinking of the movie Strangers on a Plane? It stars Gary Merrill, Bette's real-life husband. Bette plays a smallish part as another character's once-beautiful now disabled wife. When Gary's character goes to her home to tell her about her husband's death from a plane crash that Gary's character survived, he finds her bed-ridden and knitting and is surprised at her condition/appearance because her husband had been showing everyone a picture of her in her all her former beauty. It's an interesting movie.

ladyjessica
01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
:roflhard:
I :heart: Gilmore Girls. Used to watch it all the time but stopped as I don't know what channel and time it is on here, or are they still running it?

Sadly, no, it's not on anymore. It was cancelled before the end of last season. :cry: It was one of my favorite shows, and I LOVED the knitting episode. :rofl:

losnana
01-16-2008, 11:09 PM
While this is not a movie, my DH and I have been watching MASH reruns. I had forgotten that Hawkeye knits in a few of them. I don't think he ever really makes anything, at least not that I've seen, but he just knits away.

sarahzknitty
01-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Julia Roberts knits in the movie America's Sweethearts.

I think Claire knitted a baby booty in an episode of Lost.

Makes me want to sit and watch movies all weekend.:teehee:

saracidaltendencies
01-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Actually, the first Friday the 13th has Jamie Lee Curtis babysitting and knitting after the kids go to bed. She winds up stabbing Jason with the needle. Course, this was all I saw because when I saw some of the other stuff in the movie, I put it away...don't like scary and/or sex in my movies. So, knitting could be sprinkled throughout the series.

I think that's the Halloween movie, actually.

Mara H
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Here is a sort of trivia. I was thinking of when I have ever seen people knitting in movies. There are some scenes I remember but being terrible with movie trivia I cannot think of the name of the actors movie name. So I am asking if you all know of knitting in movies. Not as the main theme, but just where someone is knitting.

There is one where the actor, the main character is sent to a small town in Newfoundland to write for their paper. The woman, red hair, has children in a home care and she knits while watching hockey. I think it was made in the last decade. :think: UGGGH! I just can't remember any more!
The movie is called "The Shipping News" based on a book by Annie Proulx

kayeknit
01-17-2008, 08:42 AM
This weighed heavily on my mind as I was going to sleep last night...:roll:
I thought of several others:
Morticia in "The Addams Family"
Charlie's grandma (?) in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original film)
and a 1980s movie called "Four Play" (I think) starring Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, with an albino and a dwarf. Do any of you remember that one? She stabs an intruder with her needle I think.

Darcia
01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Mara H Thank-you!!!:yay: The Shipping News. Very good movie.

Wow I'm writing all these down for reference when I rent movies. Except the scary ones, I'm a chicken when it comes to those.

I love MASH. I remember Hawk-Eye knitting too, what ever it was it was very big and long.
On the Flintstones, Betty knits when she is pregnant with BamBam.

Just saw a great movie last night. 'We are Marshal'. My husband loves sports movies I do because they always make him cry. He tries to hide it but I just love it!!:aww:

ScandaKnitvian
01-17-2008, 10:28 AM
In the movie "Ladies in Lavender" Maggie Smith and Judy Densch are two elderly sisters who live in a house on the English coast and find a young man on their beach, injured. They care for him and find out he is a violinist. One of the sisters knits...I think she makes socks for him.

I know there are others but none come to mind right now.

iza
01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
:think: I think there's a scene in Brokeback Mountain where Heath Ledger's wife is knitting.

dustinac
01-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Here (http://www.angelhairyarn.com/movies.html)is a website that lists movies with knitting...

Little House on the Praire had a few knitting scenes too...

I miss Gilmore Girls *sigh*

another movie where Bette Davis also knits is Now, Voyager...she also crochets in several movies... The letter comes to mind right off...

Joan Crawford was a knitter as well... they say that during The Woman she would knit to distract Norma cause they had rival going...there is also this quote they say she made about Davis

On the set of "Baby Jane" was asked about the differences between herself and Bette Davis, Joan stated: "Bette likes to rant and rave. I just sit and knit. She yelled and I knitted a scarf from Hollywood to Malibu."

:teehee:

saracidaltendencies
01-17-2008, 11:52 AM
This weighed heavily on my mind as I was going to sleep last night...:roll:
I thought of several others:
Morticia in "The Addams Family"
Charlie's grandma (?) in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the original film)
and a 1980s movie called "Four Play" (I think) starring Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase, with an albino and a dwarf. Do any of you remember that one? She stabs an intruder with her needle I think.

Oh! Was that Foul Play? I used to love that movie when I was a kid! I haven't seen it in ages.

feministmama
01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
What about the old classic where Carey Grant learns to knit to prove to a woman he is worth her time?
then later on he actually starts teaching his big-n-burley body guards how to knit, and is correcting "no, you PURL here, and don't knit till there" or something like that

ecb

I think that movie was called Mr. Lucky? There's lots of knitting in films around that time.

Well of course there's Breakfast at Tiffany's. Holly go Lightly is making a big red sweater for the guy she's supposed to marry.

In the TV series Judging Amy, Amy's mother knits a lot.

feministmama
01-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, here's a link to a list of movies with knitting in them

http://www.angelhairyarn.com/movies.html

p0tato
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
The cancellation of Gilmore Girls was announced only shortly before the end of season seven. It came as a shock to a lot of people. I put off watching the last few episodes (I wasn't usually home in time to catch them, so shh, I downloaded them) because I wanted to draw out the experience. I personally think the finale was a bit too hokey, but that can be said of several of the last episodes.

However! There HAVE been rumors that it will at some point be continued. I've heard that there is a lot of interest in resuming the show, both by the creator and the actors themselves. Of course, with the WGA strike going on, NOTHING is going to get picked up for a time. But, for example, if you check IMDB...it doesn't show the year the show ends. It does for all other definitively cancelled shows. There may yet be more Gilmore Girls in our future.

The.Knitter:
They have released the entire series in a HUGE box set. so you can easily purchase or rent it. Or *cough* download it. =)

spectorkitty
01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Jamie Lee Curtis was in Halloween. The 1st Friday the 13th is at Camp Crystal Lake, and actually it was Jason's mom that was the killer, Jason didn't kill until part two. I'm a bit of a horror fan. :)

CountryKitty
01-17-2008, 07:28 PM
LOL, just remembered another one--in Demolition Man, a cop convicted of murder (Stallone) is revived from suspended animation in the future. After offending a new friend/fellow officer (Sandra Bullock), he goes back to his apartment and discovers a ball of yarn and needles in with his belongings and begins to knit. Knits her a lovely sweater by way of apology (never show him actually knitting, tho').

auburnchick
01-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I think that's the Halloween movie, actually.

Yep...you're right...sorry! I've actually never seen a FT13th movie.

Darcia
01-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Yes and dh says Jamie stabs him in the eye with her knitting needle, Just to add a nice gory detail.

Gertie
01-18-2008, 02:11 AM
In film - Lady Kluck knits in her first scene in Disney's animated Robin Hood.

In TV - Two Hawaii 5-O episodes. One has an older lady Russian spy knitting very fast while keeping an eye on someone. Another episode has a lady knitting very slowly while telling McGarrett her sad story of her brother's death. In an episode of King of Queens, the wife is knitting (I think a scarf).

Rabbitrescuer
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
The mom on the show Drake & Josh on Nickelodean knits. My boys love this show.

turtledove
01-19-2008, 01:24 AM
In the movie Chicago, Richard Gere tells Renee Zellweger that she has to knit during her trial. She says she doesn´t know how to, and he replies: Then learn!

linknit41
03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Don't do movies much, but there is a Canadian sitcom, Corner Gas,we watch. The mom character,Emma Leroy,knits in almost every episode. We get the show on WGN 11pm central time Mon-Thurs, and 7-8pm central time on Wed. linknit41

KnittingNat
03-03-2008, 06:13 AM
LOL, just remembered another one--in Demolition Man, a cop convicted of murder (Stallone) is revived from suspended animation in the future. After offending a new friend/fellow officer (Sandra Bullock), he goes back to his apartment and discovers a ball of yarn and needles in with his belongings and begins to knit. Knits her a lovely sweater by way of apology (never show him actually knitting, tho').
But they way he winds that yarn!
There's also Marilyn in "Northern exposure" who knits constantly at the reception of Dr. Fleischman's office. I also noticed that in the 2nd season there was an episode in which Cheley did some knitting too.
And yesterday i noticed that in "Accidental Tourist", a lovely movie with William Hurt and Geena Davis, the main hero's sister, Rose, also knits.

PurlyGyrl
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I found a knitting scene in the least expected place---in the television movie Threads--a British movie about nuclear war centering on the aftermath on the city of Sheffield--very gutwrenching. Grandma, before the blast, is knitting an outfit for her new grandbaby. Made me sad.

CarolinaGirl
03-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi! It know these are not movies but Izzie and "Grey" on Grey's Antamony knit in one episode and also Rosario (sp?) knitted in a couple of the Will & Grace episodes. I love both of those shows!!!!! Will & Grace.....all good things must come to an end I guess. So funny!!!! :roflhard:

evona
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
On the Flintstones, Betty knits when she is pregnant with BamBam.

OK - here's where I show what a BIG cartoon nerd I am. Betty was never pregnant with BamBam. He was left on their doorstep :) However, when Wilma first found out that she was pregnant with pebbles she started knitting baby booties and showed the finished product to Fred as a hint that she was pregnant. He said something to the effect of "Thanks for the nose warmer honey" and she started crying, much to Fred's confused and befuddled dismay

Anyone who thinks that being a wealth of Flintstones knowledge is weird should never get me started on Looney Toons :rofl:

KnitClickChick
03-03-2008, 08:44 PM
All About Eve has knitting in it. I am not sure what this movie is about, my boyfriend was watching it on AMC or TCM the other night, and I really wasn't paying too much attention, but I did catch the knitting part! Also, not sure if I missed this in the other posts, but speaking of Izzie in Greys, Katherine H. did some movies, Love Comes Softly was the first in the series and in it she knits.

Darcia
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
OK - here's where I show what a BIG cartoon nerd I am. Betty was never pregnant with BamBam. He was left on their doorstep :) However, when Wilma first found out that she was pregnant with pebbles she started knitting baby booties and showed the finished product to Fred as a hint that she was pregnant. He said something to the effect of "Thanks for the nose warmer honey" and she started crying, much to Fred's confused and befuddled dismay

Anyone who thinks that being a wealth of Flintstones knowledge is weird should never get me started on Looney Toons :rofl:

Your right evona. I stand corrected. Thanks.
I just watched 'A night to remember' last night. The other movie about the sinking of the Titanic. Good movie. The woman in the movie are knitting though out as a pass-time. Plus there are gorgeous crochet jackets worn by the first class women and girls.

Plantgoddess+
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I think most of the Agatha Christie-Miss Marple movies shows Miss Marple knitting.

KnitClickChick
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Granny is always knitting, whilst chatting with Tweety and scolding Sylvester :happydance:

Lollilulu
03-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Jean Arthur's character in "Talk of the Town" (really dull movie) knits, but it's obvious she doesn't know how. She's just kind of moving the needles up and down.

:knitting:

knitspin2001
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Tyne Daly is a very active knitter and was often shown on "Judging Amy" with her knitting in hand.

Hmm this thread definitely has me intriguely--will definitely be on the lookout for more!

Marilyn