PDA

View Full Version : On strike

psquidy
01-18-2008, 11:17 AM
So i decided to make a nice pair of thrummed mittens for a friend. What I really wanted was to get rid of this wool i've had in my stash. I'm almost done and I RAN out!!!! :hair: now i'll have to buy more and i'll have even more in my STASH!!:gah: I'm so annoyed I 've put them away and i haven't bought more wool and i'm just so mad i haven't knit anything in weeks!!! Anyone else gone on a similar strike? I don't know who I think i'm getting back at on this strike but it's just how I feel!

feministmama
01-18-2008, 11:38 AM
you strike girl. You have every right to be frustrated and angry. So to hell with the yarn gods and goddesses, strike away!!!!!

bip
01-18-2008, 12:18 PM
You are doing the right thing. Let me tell you a story about doing the opposite. About 3 years ago when I was a relatively new knitter, I bought a bunch of Noro Kureyon in color 102 for a sweater. The sweater came out TINY. Child-sized, even though I was pretty sure I got my gauge. The sweater sat around for about a year until I finally decided it was too much "good" yarn to be sitting around like that, so I frogged it.

I decided to use it for this (http://www.canknit.com/free/ns.html), which I think we can all agree is lovely. I chose a bunch of other colors to drown out the 102 and went to work. About 1/2 through, I realized two things. It was HIDEOUS and I was going to need a lot more yarn. So I got more and hoped that it would be less hideous. About 2/3 through, I decided that it was not getting less hideous, and I frogged. I decided to make KathyMarie's Paintbox afghan (pic below) that I saw on Ravelry. But I didn't pay close enough attention to what she had done, and instead of using one color per square, I switched colors for every leg of the log cabin and ended up with something completely different. It is still a WIP, so I'm not sure if in the end it will look ok. I also didn't pay enough attention to how much yarn would be needed, so I got to buy yet MORE yarn! And I don't even like Kureyon! And it costs a fortune.

When all is said and done, this blanket will have cost almost $300!!! And I may have used up a lot of the original color 102, but not all of it, PLUS I will have some leftover other colors. It had better be gorgeous!!!

So I say hold your ground. You can't let a project run you!

Abbily
01-18-2008, 12:21 PM
I don't know if you need a lot more or just a little, but you could ask around here and see if anyone has some 'leftovers' in their stash that they'd be willing to part with.

Lisa_H-Town
01-18-2008, 02:36 PM
I don't really go on strike for knitting... I usually start a new project when a WIP starts misbehaving....

then I can let got of my frustration for that, but still have something to work on! But I also switch between knit and crochet... so when one is bugging me, I work on the other!

May explain why I have so few FOs.....:think: :)

psquidy
01-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks everyone! I knew I couldn't have been the only striker. The thought of having someone send me some yarn sounds nice but it's just crappy stuff from walmart so it would be cheaper if i just buy some new stuff. Plus i don't have the color sleeve anymore!! I'm on my way right now so i can finish this and get started on my sweater!