PDA

View Full Version : To All Ravelers: Did you know....??!!

ArtLady1981
01-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Ravelers!

I guess I could've posted this over at Ravelry, but wanted to
let my KH Ravelry Buddies know first!

Did you know: after you have created your Stash List in your Ravelry Notebook...you can click DOWNLOAD TO EXCEL...and the entire list, notes and all, can be saved to your computer?? The icon for DOWNLOAD TO EXCEL is 3rd icon to the right of "add new yarn" button.

So, now you have an EXCEL file of all your Stash in your own files, or desktop which is what I did.

Now I have to discover if changes I make online at the Ravelry Stash Folder will automatically be changed on my desktop version.

I like the EXCEL version because I can make changes like FREEZE FRAMES, fill-in color, adding total yardage down to a GRAND TOTAL, etc.

Anyhoo, this info is NEW to me...maybe not to you. ;)
I am usually the last one to discover anything! :eyes:

But just wanted to share the info with y'all, just in case! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't have Excel. That's neat that you can do that though!

Lisa R.
01-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh good grief! I worked up an Excel spreadsheet for my stash before I got my invite to Ravelry, and then went from that. Wish I'd known! Maybe I'll go ahead and do it anyway, to see how it looks. Probably better than what I have! :)

ArtLady1981
01-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh good grief! I worked up an Excel spreadsheet for my stash before I got my invite to Ravelry, and then went from that. Wish I'd known! Maybe I'll go ahead and do it anyway, to see how it looks. Probably better than what I have! :)

Hi Lisa! :waving:

Don't feel bad! "Like minds think alike"! I did the same thing, too... last year when I was trying to sort through and organize my yarn for the "Year of the Stash 2007"! :eyes:

Well, it helped me greatly when I finally got my Ravelry invite...so adding to my Ravelry Stash folder wasn't as painful as it coulda been! My next goal is to take photos of all the yarns and get them uploaded to the Stash Folder. I know that I certainly appreciate photos when others share them!

I think you will like the EXCEL DOWNLOAD version very much.
It is all alphabetized, etc.

Oh, one thing my own EXCEL version has that Ravely doesn't:
I have 5 worksheets in mine...for worsted's, dk's, bulky's, super bulky's and speciality's.

If I am looking for a dk weight, I open the dk worksheet. It helps locate what I am searching for. I will still keep my EXCEL version updated. I worked too hard on it to just trash it now! ;)

Jen17
01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Hi,
When you decide to bottle all that energy you have, I want to be the first one on your list to buy it!:teehee:

Jen:knitting:

Newbie2Knitting
01-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Nope, hadn't noticed that. There are so many cool things about Ravelry - I'm sure I haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg yet.

On sort of a tangent, I was going to start inputting the list of things I want to knit. There is a button I can just drag up to my toolbar so if I'm on a website with a pattern I like I can just click the button & it'll add it to Ravelry automatically. For some reason it won't drag to my toolbar. Any ideas?

ignora
01-18-2008, 10:01 PM
It doesn't work with Internet Explorer, only Firefox and... that one that starts with an "S".. I can't think of the name of it.

Anyway, I downloaded Firefox just so I could use the little buttons. :)

WildMountainHoney
01-18-2008, 10:14 PM
Yep, know about!

If you don't have excel, you can openoffice for free (www.openoffice.org)

No, it won't automatically update between the two, you need to download again as you make changes in Ravelry.

Newbie2Knitting
01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
...off to download Firefox...

sue in canada
01-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I agree with Jen17. I'll be second. I haven't done a thing with Ravelry except look at patterns and yarns.

WandaT
01-19-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll be third ... the only thing I've done with Ravelry is look at all the patterns and read some of the forums. The idea of getting my stash inventoried is just overwhelming ... but I guess I could start with my current projects and that would be something huh?

AnnArrogance
01-19-2008, 12:42 PM
It doesn't work with Internet Explorer, only Firefox and... that one that starts with an "S".. I can't think of the name of it.

Man, I can't WAIT until my invite comes!!! Ravelry just keeps sounding cooler and cooler. Kate... must... have!!! :) I will be SO organized in like, 10 days. There are like 3700 people in front of me, and I'm seriously chomping at the bit to get going!

And I think the other browser you're thinking of is Safari for the Mac. It's the only one other than FireFox I know that supports drag-and-drop tabs and bookmarks.

2sweetgirls38
01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Only 756 people in front of me. I should be able to join you soon in finding out cool things about the site. I only have a teeny stash, but it is good to know about the excel feature.

AnnArrogance
01-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Tee hee... I'm checking obsessively. Only 3535 people in front of me now! Man, I am SO impatient! I really want my invite! :gah: :wall:

feministmama
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM

Safari?

princess
01-19-2008, 09:16 PM

you mean safari? that would be for mac users if thats the case, we pc'ers arent special enough for it :P

ignora
01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, that's the one. I couldn't remember what it was called for the life of me! :)

Knitting_Guy
01-19-2008, 10:32 PM

Open Office can work with Excel files. It can be downloaded for free.

AnnArrogance
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Woo hoo! Only 2338 to go before me! =) So, that's what, like, 4 days? Sweet! :D Sorry, I'm SO antsy! But man, it went down FAST today-- it was about 3700 this morning, and now it's only about 2300!

Doublereeder2
01-20-2008, 12:58 AM
We have Excel but I have no idea how to use it (since it doesn't help me play the oboe....)

Guess I'll just knit instead :-)

ArtLady1981
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
We have Excel but I have no idea how to use it (since it doesn't help me play the oboe....)

Guess I'll just knit instead :-)

Hi Doublereeder! :waving:

If you have EXCEL on your 'puter...and want to tinker around with it a bit...go to all ALL PROGRAMS>MICROSOFT OFFICE>EXCEL and click open.

The EXCEL program allows you to do lots of things...but the feature I use most is, for example, itemizing BILLS. I can make a list of my bills from top line 1, down to line 20 (for example). Then in the columns on the right side of line 1, I can enter amt due, due date, date paid, etc.

The nicest feature of EXCEL is that I can add up the column totals from top to bottom, and/or from side to side.

EXCEL is a nice workbook to keep track of all kinds of things, Stash for one! Bills, Business Expenses, Commissions, Summarizations, etc. You can also PRINT a workbook, too.

With the WORD program you can create tables, etc...but these tables will not add totals for you.

When I first entered the world of 'puters, I bought a boatload of books and boned up on how to use WORD, EXCEL, OUTLOOK, and OFFICE in general. I am still very much a novice, and could take my self-training further, but so far, it is serving my needs just fine.
Haven't had the need for more sophisticated applications of EXCEL yet.

nitewyngs
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
I am a newbie to Ravelry (got my invite Friday)! I am still trying to figure out how to work it but thanks to you I played around with the stash part.

knitpurlgurl
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM

Jan and others that may not have Microsoft Office.. Did you know that you can download Open Office Suite (http://www.openoffice.org/)? It contains the same type programs as Microsoft Office. And the best part is that it is:
1.) 100% FREE
2.) 100% Compatible with Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excell, Access) - You can even save the files in Microsoft format.

I know this because we use this at our school (a public school system) in place of Microsoft. The license agreements were killing us and the kids don't really care as long as the programs are compatible with their programs at home. Dh and I also installed this on our 'puters at home and it works great!

(Sorry this is off topic - but I thought that many of you may want to use the Excel feature from Ravelry, but choose not to purchase Microsoft Office due to the expense.)

Oops - I JUST noticed that someone posted about Open Office already. (I didn't read past Jan's post when I replied.) Oh well, great minds think alike!

2sweetgirls38
01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Now that I got my invite, I need a good "stash". The Debbie Bliss and Rowan at my LYS is screaming to come home with me. I need to utilize the organzational features of Ravelry, right? Yhea, that's my story...

knitpurlgurl
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Now that I got my invite, I need a good "stash". The Debbie Bliss and Rowan at my LYS is screaming to come home with me. I need to utilize the organzational features of Ravelry, right? Yhea, that's my story...

Yes, I agree. I think I may need to increase my stash so that I can add everything to Ravelry! I like that!

2sweetgirls38
01-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Good idea, huh? My poor little WalMart bag full of yarn is just screaming for some new friends.

AnnArrogance
01-21-2008, 07:27 PM
OK, I am READY for my invite. I took pictures of all my FOs (not a lot of those yet...) and my yarn (too many of those!), got a Flickr account, put them up on Flickr, and noted on each photo name, color, yardage, etc. Now all I need is my invite... 1284 more people to go!

MAN, how am I ever going to makit it through the next 2-3 days??? Someone should start a "Things to Do While Waiting for Your Ravelry Invite" thread. I can only scrub my entire bathroom down with a toothbrush so many times...

ArtLady1981
01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you KnittingGuy (Mason) and KnitPurlGurl for the information about OPEN OFFICE SUITE!

I totally didn't know about this feature! So good of you both to post!

Microsoft Office Suite was bundled into the purchase of my Dell laptop...

but...if you had to purchase it separately.....ACK...it is very expensive like you mentioned!

Thanks again! :thumbsup: