PDA

View Full Version : Any Blood Donors?

vaknitter
01-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Ran by the hospital blood drive on my way out of work and got talked into the hemonetics (double donation) machine. Just wondering how many knitters are blood donors and maybe I can inspire someone to become a donor. It really isn't painful and you save a life - the reason I do the hemonetics is that my blood goes to NICU babies.

scout52
01-18-2008, 11:04 PM
my work does blood drives all the time. I can't though. I don't weigh enough. We have some co-workers with kids with blood disorders so the co-workers give blood as way to support them

debb
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
i give when I can, but lately my iron has been too low and they won't let me.

ecb
01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I was a multi gallon donor, then something happened and they told me to not bother coming in anymore
No blood diseases, no auto immune, one tattoo, but it was done the right way, so I have never gone back.
Also, since I cannot donate, they also will not hire me as a Phlebotic Nurse, or even an intake nurse
Ahhh Politics

ecb

GinnyG
01-19-2008, 12:12 AM
I was a multi gallon donor, then something happened and they told me to not bother coming in anymore
No blood diseases, no auto immune, one tattoo, but it was done the right way, so I have never gone back.
Also, since I cannot donate, they also will not hire me as a Phlebotic Nurse, or even an intake nurse
Ahhh Politics

ecb
How odd.... I am a nurse and never heard of such a thing. Aren't you curious as to WHY? I would want to know.

I am a double cell doner, every three months I give 2 units, they spin off the cells and reinfuse the plasma. I've lost track of how many gallons.

kellyh57
01-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I used to, then I moved and couldn't find a time and place here, then I got pregnant, then I was breastfeeding, then pregnant again, then breastfeeding, then pregnant, and yet again breastfeeding. Ugh. It's been 9 years now! I keep seeing blood drives and think I should do it again, but then I remember that I can't while I'm breastfeeding (iron issues)! Argh. Give me a year and I'll go back!

Kelly

sinistral_needler
01-19-2008, 12:29 AM
I have donated over 5 gallons of blood and have started donating double units of plasma. It's quite rewarding.

Nobones
01-19-2008, 04:43 AM
'Thank you', from a person who has been on the receiving end of a blood donation on more than one occasion.

Because of the medical problems, I can't. But I'd be there as often as I could if they'd let me.

knitgal
01-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I have given blood once and it made me pass out for hours and vomit- I haven't done it since BUT I have volunteered at the blood donor clinic giving people juice and cookies, so if I can't give blood at least I can help those who can!

Lucy78green
01-19-2008, 11:38 AM
I did when I was 17 and 18. I got the trainee the first time I went, but they made my arm go into cramp - missed the vein and had the tourniquet on too tight. As a result I acquired a bit of a phobia about it and the next time I went I nearly fainted so they said they didn't want responsibility for me being sick or becoming unconscious so they took me off the list - and I'm O- so I thought they'd want my blood

laptop_knitter
01-19-2008, 12:27 PM
As soon as I weigh enough I'm going in. My mum used to donate every other month but then developed cancer so they wouldn't let her give anymore.

alleusion
01-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I can't donate. I've tried twice, been successful once. The first time, they couldn't get a vein to work and it ended up being a good thing because I was very newly pregnant with my first. The second time, it worked quite well and they wanted me back.

Now I can't because I'm pregnant, but also because of a surgery I had a few years ago....I've got very low iron. But kudos to those who can.

Jan in CA
01-19-2008, 02:12 PM
I haven't for awhile, but thanks for reminding me! :thumbsup:

Here are the guidelines for donating blood.
http://www.redcross.org/services/biomed/0,1082,0_557_,00.html

iza
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I managed to give blood once even if I don't weigh enough. I think the nurse cheated and let me do it anyways :teehee:. I had no problem at all, and was in perfect shape after!

My boyfriend gives blood regularly, every 2 months or so. He gives platelets too on a regular basis, and he's even on a list for bone marrow transplant. :thumbsup:

Wench
01-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I couldn't give blood for a long time because I was taking part in a vaccine research study, but a few months ago I finally became eligible again and signed up! I'm donating platelets on Monday, and I'm also now on the bone marrow registry.

treehugger14
01-19-2008, 05:31 PM
I just became old enough to donate, i plan on doing it this spring at our High School...we have 2 every school year...so yeah.

misha rf
01-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I started donating blood in college. Then they changed the guidelines, and since I lived on a military base in Germany for 3 years in the 80's, I'm not allowed to donate anymore (neither is anyone in my family). Apparently, I could have eaten some mad cow...

willowangel
01-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm not allowed to because of a few medical conditions that they don't know the origins of yet, but I wish that I could - it's a fantastic thing to do.

lucky_alf2
01-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Me to Misha! We live in the UK for 7 years and now can't give blood or anything back here in the US due to that same mad-cow risk....our blood would be fine if we still lived in the UK tho -- go figure.

Lieke
01-20-2008, 04:50 AM
OMG, the US is so easy on giving blood. I do give blood here in the Netherlands, but I'm only allowed to give 3 times a year. I've got to go soon, but I've just received antibiotics so I'm not allowed now. Here, you have to be 18 and weigh 50 kg or more. Your Hb has to be 7.8 as a women (which is high, I only can make it just before my period) and you have to be healthy and lots of other rules. Sometimes the strictness scares me off, but I really want to help, so I keep on giving (when I'm allowed)

KnittingNat
01-20-2008, 06:13 AM
They never want my blood for some reason. The last time i tried, they said i shouldn't try anymore, because i have low ferritin and i'm not allowed.

vaknitter
01-20-2008, 10:52 AM
WOW - I'm sorry that so many of you have had bad experiences and can not longer give blood. My mom once had a false pos Hepatitis come back so the Red Cross will no longer let her give even though she has been cleared by multiple tests and she has never had Hep. My dad and I try to go pretty regular - there was a period of time I couldn't go b/c of medication, but they have since changed the medication deferal list and I am off the meds now.
I haven't gotten up the nerve to put myself on a bone marrow registry...something to think about and talk to the hubby about though.

knitncook
01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm a great supporter for those that can donate even though I can't. My body doesn't process iron correctly, so no matter how much iron I consume or how many iron supplements I take my blood always tests anemic. I'm healthy, but my blood is "puny" as one doctor put it. This was a major concern of mine when I was pregnant but had bouncing healthy babies with good iron counts and they also have better than excellent iron counts when they were breastfeeding. Seems as though my oldest daughter has inherited my iron store inadequecies. Green leafy veggies are the only iron our bodies will process correctly and there is just so much raw spinach one can eat in one day :)

My parents were both multi-gallon donors until they started doing medical missions in foreign countries. They have to wait either 5 or 7 years from when they last went in order to donate. It's only been 2 years and they have another trip scheduled for later this year. They were popular with the blood donation center because on is O- and the other O+.

GinnyG
01-20-2008, 11:34 AM
I am suprised at the number of people who cannot give blood. While there are many reasons that someone is not eligable to give I would encourage anyone who thinks they can't but does want to to to double check with the Red Cross, they may find that they can.

For those who complain of fainting, vomiting etc there really is no reason that you cannot overcome that. Unless you are anemic, which would be determined during the physical eval, doing things like making sure you are well hydrated and eating a good meal before hand will go a long way toward preventing that. For some, it is just the sight of the blood and the "idea" of it. Sometimes just volunteering at a blood drive or two to serve snacks or help fill out information will help you become more comfortable with the whole process.

The site that Ingrid posted gives alot of very good information and clears alot of misconceptions.
Giving blood is such a simple act with such HUGE benefits.

Samsam
01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm a blood donor =) The first time I gave was november because I was finally old enough. The event was at my high school too, they have people come twice a year. My body didn't take it well though..I became dizzy, fainted and vomited. And I had the medical people and teachers worried. Go figure. I didn't mind the needle or anything...I was mad I caused such problems! I still want to donate because it's nice to do.

GinnyG
01-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm a blood donor =) The first time I gave was november because I was finally old enough. The event was at my high school too, they have people come twice a year. My body didn't take it well though..I became dizzy, fainted and vomited. And I had the medical people and teachers worried. Go figure. I didn't mind the needle or anything...I was mad I caused such problems! I still want to donate because it's nice to do.
Most likely from the anxiety and being nervous. Some people have what is called a "vagal response". Next time, eat a good meal beforehand, drink lots of fluids and you will do better. You will be less nervous because you know what the process is.

KnittingNat
01-20-2008, 01:43 PM
WOW - I'm sorry that so many of you have had bad experiences and can not longer give blood. My mom once had a false pos Hepatitis come back so the Red Cross will no longer let her give even though she has been cleared by multiple tests and she has never had Hep. My dad and I try to go pretty regular - there was a period of time I couldn't go b/c of medication, but they have since changed the medication deferal list and I am off the meds now.
I haven't gotten up the nerve to put myself on a bone marrow registry...something to think about and talk to the hubby about though.
I'm actually registered in Israel in the list of potential donors. So at least i don't feel too bad.

KnittingNat
01-20-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm a great supporter for those that can donate even though I can't. My body doesn't process iron correctly, so no matter how much iron I consume or how many iron supplements I take my blood always tests anemic. I'm healthy, but my blood is "puny" as one doctor put it. This was a major concern of mine when I was pregnant but had bouncing healthy babies with good iron counts and they also have better than excellent iron counts when they were breastfeeding. Seems as though my oldest daughter has inherited my iron store inadequecies. Green leafy veggies are the only iron our bodies will process correctly and there is just so much raw spinach one can eat in one day :)

My parents were both multi-gallon donors until they started doing medical missions in foreign countries. They have to wait either 5 or 7 years from when they last went in order to donate. It's only been 2 years and they have another trip scheduled for later this year. They were popular with the blood donation center because on is O- and the other O+.
KnitnCook, do you have low iron or low ferritin? Maybe eating spinach will help me too?

CountryKitty
01-20-2008, 08:37 PM
I give as often as I can, tho' my iron is often low, too. Just recently while reading the information on the back of a box of instant oatmeal packets I saw that it has 20% of the recommended daily allowance. So I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast almost daily.

My 17yo daughter gave for the very first time last month...she was very nervous about it, but the nurse and the young Amish or Mennonite woman in the next donation chair were very encouraging and she got thru' it.

I was kind of surprised to learn that the Amish and Mennonites, who avoid a great many trappings of 'English' life, donate blood regularly and even put together their own blood drives. Last year one even brought pints of home raised honey to give to the volunteers and Phlebotomists. (Made the front page of the weekly paper 6 months earlier when a Mennonite horse got loose while his owner was giving blood and started trotting down the raod headed for home!)