PDA

View Full Version : ANY READERS OUT THERE?

sparkei49
01-19-2008, 11:35 AM
Have any of you read the trilogy by Debbie Macomber? They are all novels about a woman that owns a LYS. The titles are "Blossom Street", "A Good Yarn" and finally "Back on Blossom Street" which I just started. The patterns the characters work on are in the books and Leisure Arts have joined with the author and printed them separatly to buy. :knitting:

boo1
01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
maybe I'll take another gander.

:)

knittingymnast
01-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Have any of you read the trilogy by Debbie Macomber? They are all novels about a woman that owns a LYS. The titles are "Blossom Street", "A Good Yarn" and finally "Back on Blossom Street" which I just started. The patterns the characters work on are in the books and Leisure Arts have joined with the author and printed them separatly to buy. :knitting:

nope

photolady
01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
I've just begun listening to the audio tape of the Shop on Blossom Street.
I like to listen to books on tape while I'm knitting.
Will let you know later how it goes.

Plantgoddess+
01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
I think I've read 2 of the books. Got them from local library. Just found out that my library also has audio books that can be downloaded from their web site so I am currently listening to the Yarn Harlot's book At Knits End and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm going to have to go back and look to see what else I can download.

2sweetgirls38
01-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I haven't heard of those. I love to read (always too tired to do it though). I'll have to check them out.:)

Jan in CA
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I read them all and enjoyed them a lot. There are other knitty books, too.

Here's the authors with a link to Amazon. There are others, but these have multiple books.
Maggie Sefton (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-5913211-9480437?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Maggie%20Sefton)
Mary Kruger (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-5913211-9480437?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Mary%20Kruger)

katie09
01-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I've only read "A Good Yarn", it's actually what got me interested in knitting. I got it from someone as a gift (cuz I LOVE to read) and throughout the book I thought that they made knitting sound so fun and interesting, so the next time I went to the store I picked up some yarn and the 'I Taught Myself Knitting' set from Boye and been knitting since.

Jackie M.
01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I've read all three of them and enjoyed them very much. I have to say, Debbie Macomber is one of the reasons I'm knitting today. It was reading "Shop on Blossom Street" that inspired me, after my daugher took up knitting.

Mulderknitter
01-19-2008, 03:02 PM
I am downloading The shop on blossom street now to my ipod. I will let you know how it is!

losnana
01-19-2008, 03:40 PM
I think I've read 2 of the books. Got them from local library. Just found out that my library also has audio books that can be downloaded from their web site so I am currently listening to the Yarn Harlot's book At Knits End and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm going to have to go back and look to see what else I can download.
I love the CD of this book. Great when you only have a few minutes.

miccisue
01-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I've read the first two, but haven't seen the third one yet. Is it any good? Honestly, I find her writing a bit simplistic (reminds me of the cheesy stories that used to run in the teen magazines I read many years ago) but the knitting theme had me hooked. LOL!!! I haven't tried either pattern, but then I've never knit socks, either....I have knit blankets, but haven't used the book's pattern yet. Since I do want to do some stuff for Project Linus, I may use that pattern for that.

miccisue
01-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I read them all and enjoyed them a lot. There are other knitty books, too.

Here's the authors with a link to Amazon. There are others, but these have multiple books.
Maggie Sefton (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-5913211-9480437?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Maggie%20Sefton)
Mary Kruger (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/105-5913211-9480437?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Mary%20Kruger)
There's one called "Knitting Under The Influence" by Claire LaZrebnic (sp???) that's pretty amusing.

sparkei49
01-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey, glad to hear the books got some of you started knitting. I hadn't been knitting long when I read "Shop on Blossom Street". It made me want to open my own LYS!!! Thanks to Plantgoddess+ and Jan in CA for the tips on other books. I have seen other bloggers mention Yarn Harlot's At Knits End. I'll have to check it out along with the other authors mentioned. If you do like to read, any of Macomber's books are good. "Susanne's Garden" ties in to "Shop on Blossom Street" in the end. cloud9

photolady
01-19-2008, 06:26 PM

How IS At Knit's End? I tried to snag an audio copy at our LL, but, none. The hard copy is missing in action.
What's the main story of Knit's End?

photolady
01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
I've read the first two, but haven't seen the third one yet. Is it any good? Honestly, I find her writing a bit simplistic (reminds me of the cheesy stories that used to run in the teen magazines I read many years ago) but the knitting theme had me hooked. LOL!!! I haven't tried either pattern, but then I've never knit socks, either....I have knit blankets, but haven't used the book's pattern yet. Since I do want to do some stuff for Project Linus, I may use that pattern for that.

OKAY, WHERE can I get the patterns found connected with the Macomber books? I looked in SOBS book, nothing.

photolady
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM

I had to laugh at her description of what the main character felt like, after ending her first knitting instruction class. That's about how it is!
2 hours to teach everyone how to cast on.
ha ha!

Quiara
01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
They seemed thin and poorly written to me. I didn't care much for them. I know, I know. Heresy, I'm sure. I don't know - I just expect a lot more from a book.

tiedyedbeth
01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Yes! :) I've enjoyed them, and I'm hoping she writes more!

Plantgoddess+
01-19-2008, 10:14 PM
How IS At Knit's End? I tried to snag an audio copy at our LL, but, none. The hard copy is missing in action.
What's the main story of Knit's End?
It's subtitled Meditations of a Woman Who Knits Too Much. It's just kind of rambling quotes from various people and her thoughts on knitting as well as anecdotes of some of her knitting disasters. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but am looking forward to a quiet time when I can listen to more. She's amusing and I think I will listen to it more than once.

Doodknitwit
01-20-2008, 02:52 AM
really enjoyed them...amazing the bond we knitters have!! it made a wonderful story line.:yay:

Debkcs
01-20-2008, 04:43 AM
I've read them all. Debbie Macomber isn't an author whose books I usually read, as they fall into the romance catagory, but this series was given to me by a friend, so I read them. The story lines hold together pretty well, and the patterns look like fun.

Indygirl
01-20-2008, 07:01 AM
I've read all three of them and enjoyed them very much. I have to say, Debbie Macomber is one of the reasons I'm knitting today. It was reading "Shop on Blossom Street" that inspired me, after my daugher took up knitting. I just had to pop in here and say, I love your avatar. Your little guy is sooooo adorable:heart:

sakura-panda
01-20-2008, 09:00 AM
I bought the third book on CD and I really enjoyed listening to it on the drive to/from work! It was so much fun having knitting integrated into the story.

I didn't like the ending -- but I don't like "chick flicks" endings either, so I think it's just part of the genre. ;)

Highly recommend for light reading; I'm seriously considering getting the corresponding pattern book! I've been looking at the other books, but they don't seem to be available unabridged on CD. :pout:

WandaT
01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I've read them all and really enjoyed them. Granted they are a very easy read and have sort of a "Hallmark" feel to them. I usually enjoy a book with more meat, but there are time when I want to read a brainless, feel good book. These definitely fit that bill for me.

Plantgoddess+
01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Debbie Macomber was a Harlequin romance writer for years. Those are the kind of stories they publish, light romance. I was a reader of those for a few years in my perimenopausal stage. Before that it was mysteries and before that sci-fi.
Reading romance novels is to me like watching sitcoms on tv.

miccisue
01-20-2008, 10:11 AM
They seemed thin and poorly written to me. I didn't care much for them. I know, I know. Heresy, I'm sure. I don't know - I just expect a lot more from a book.
If you think those were thin and poorly written, you should read the "Christmas books" she puts out every year. If you can imagine it, they are even worse, IMHO. They truly are like a not very good high school English student writing their own short stories.
I don't even know why I read them......I guess the holidays just got to me, and I was trying to find anything "Christmas-y" to help get me in the mood. As far as these books, it didn't work.:teehee:
Just curious....who are your favorite authors? I like Nora Roberts (sometimes...I find her early writing was much more to my liking than some of the stuff she's come out with lately although some of her later books are OK), Stephanie Bond, Carly Phillips, Joy Fielding, Mary Higgins Clark, and some biographies - some are just more interesting to me than others. I was a Stephen King reader a ways back, but he got some (even) weirder stuff in there that I wasn't crazy about, so haven't read him in a while. Same way with Dean Koontz. Dean's last one was odd - the ending was just.............odd. Oh yes, and I do like the "non-serial" authors. LOVED John Grogan's "Marley and Me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GiddyKnitter
01-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes I have read them all ...I ordered them from www.alibris.co.uk
Great read...I passed them on to my knitting buddy x

babsnelson
01-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I'll add those to my list of books at the library. They sound interesting! Thanks for the tip!!

photolady
01-20-2008, 11:50 AM

This book is purely entertaining. Not deep, not steeped in philosophical
"stuff", not anything but something EASY to read.
Some of us have such stressful lives, that we look forward to an easy escape.

If you want something that will keep you thinking for a long time, try reading these:

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Life-Germs-Observations-Lessons/dp/B00011SOV0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200843911&sr=1-6

don't be surprised if you start carrying Germ-X with you, after reading this.

another good documentary
http://www.amazon.com/Germs-Biological-Weapons-Americas-Secret/dp/B0001OOUGA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200843976&sr=1-13
very interesting read
http://www.amazon.com/Spychips-Major-Corporations-Government-Purchase/dp/0452287669/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200844184&sr=1-2

photolady
01-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I've read them all and really enjoyed them. Granted they are a very easy read and have sort of a "Hallmark" feel to them. I usually enjoy a book with more meat, but there are time when I want to read a brainless, feel good book. These definitely fit that bill for me.

exactly! A hallmark feel is a perfect description...

I really liked Sarah Plain and Tall, when it came out.
Boy, that was SUCH a good story!
Anyone else like that?
Glenn Close and Christopher Walken. A single New England woman responds to an advertisement by a Midwestern widower in which he asks for a bride to help him raise his two children.

I LOVE Christopher Walken as an actor!
The Deer Hunter is a fantastic movie, and his part in it is riveting.
Anyone like Schindler's List?
Liam Neeson was good, but, Ralph Fiennes was better.
Fiennes was good in Wuthering Heights, too
Another good movie, Elizabeth. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0127536/

The FIRST one only, is good, the second one, although Cate Blanchett is marvelous, was disappointing to me.

Phaedra
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
I've read all three; and liked them. Matter of act, I had first discovered the pattern books at my local library, THEN read the books. My very first sock was Lydia's Socks from A Good Yarn.:wink:

bookkid
02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
no. sound good though. I'll have to look at my library

Pagan Princess
02-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I've read the first two. Am waiting for the last one to appear at the library.