PDA

View Full Version : Lion Brand Moonligh Mohair

kareBear
01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
I would like to make a jacket out of Moonlight Mohair. I have never used the yarn before or Mohair in a garment. What happens to the little fibers after wearing the garment. Do they pill, get tangled together, etc. Will I hate it after wearing it once?:shrug:
I don't want to put all this time and money into an item and my arms get stuck to my body. :roflhard:
Karen

suecq
01-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I can't answer your question as I have not used the yarn, but wanted to let you know Michaels has it on sale for $2.00 a skein.

kareBear
01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks!

babsnelson
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I can't answer your question as I have not used the yarn, but wanted to let you know Michaels has it on sale for $2.00 a skein.

I saw that in the ad this week. I too was wondering how it wears. I think I might just get some and felt it with some wool. For only $2 it's worth a try!!

Pat in Ca
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I made a shawl out of this.. double stranded with the "railroad track"
yarn I think# 10 needles.. I have used it a lot over other clothes..
I don't think I would like to have it directly against my skin..It is very similar to the "Dune" yarn that was popular a couple years ago..
I have heard that some yarn snobs say that it is the only yarn at michaels they would enjoy using..I got a little sick of it after knitting with it for a while, but I do use my shawl.. the pattern is for sale on the lion brand site it is a really pretty blue. so it goes with my blue jean when I go to the movies I always get cold..a wide rectangle shawl.. I did not put the fringe on it..

Pat in Ca
01-21-2008, 03:16 PM
It does shed a little.. but not as much as some other more traditional yarn.. I find that anything kinda sheds because I wear a lot of black shirts .. I have a sticky lint roller in every room of my house..and take one on vacation too..I haven't really noticed it pilling ..but I have only had it for about 8 months

Pat in Ca
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
There is a jacket in the sally melville book ( i think the purl stitch one) that uses the yarn "Dune" which is very similar to moonlight mohair.. check it out

knittingymnast
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
i dont think that it is actually 100% mohair. i think it does have a little bit of acrylic. it does tend to pill, although i have not used it before. my friend has used to it make a scarf. it is a little static-y but it is good and nice stuff. :heart:

sparkei49
01-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I have used it in a scarf and it wore nicely. I have also used it along with wool for a couple of purses that I then felted. It felts great. I enjoyed working with it.:knitting:

babsnelson
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I have used it in a scarf and it wore nicely. I have also used it along with wool for a couple of purses that I then felted. It felts great. I enjoyed working with it.:knitting:

Thanks - that's what I'd like to do with it. :thumbsup:

kareBear
01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I think I might try it. I want to make a cardigan with a ruffle around the edge. For $2 a ball I can't pass it up.

babsnelson
01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Well - I went to Mike's today and picked up 3 balls. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I just couldn't pass it up for only $2 per ball!!

WandaT
01-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, I didn't realize it felted ... I may have to go pick up some too!