PDA

View Full Version : Help me quit smoking

KnitWit1987
01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone, I am 20 years old and have been smoking since I was 12:oops: I want to quit so bad but I just can't. My fiance has never smoked and he hates it I already dont smoke in my house and have tried patches. Dont get me wrong I really want to quit but I enjoy smoking so much. Please give me any ideas you might have or methods that worked for you. Thanks!!

dancemom
01-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Hi knitwit, I feel your pain! I have been smoking since I was 15. I am now 41. I have tried many times to quit, and it is very hard. I wish I would have never ever picked up such a terrible habit. All I can say is you really have to want it bad enough or you won't do it. Patches work well and also, the Commit Lozenges too. Ha notice how I can tell you this , but have not quit myself! I will try soon again, hopefully we will both succeed!

mwhite
01-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I understand both of you and am working on quitting myself. At 51, I've already begun feeling the physical effects.... COPD, signs of EMPHYSEMA and general loss of circulation and energy. These are the BIGGEST reasons for you to quit. I am currently taking a product called Chantix and it has curbed my smoking from 2 packs a day to less than 1/4 pack a day. Some days are easy, some are harder. This is a prescription drug, so you must see a physician first but it does work. This addiction will kill you and me. Uh, need I say more. I support you and hope you'll return the favor! :thumbsup: Mary

figaro
01-21-2008, 11:19 AM
I started in high school and I can't remember how I quit but if I were you, make a appointment with your Dr. and start there. Also ask him/her if they know of a local support group, strength in numbers and all. If anything try to not smoke every other cig, it might be somewhere to start from. Maybe instead of having that after dinner smoke (that was a weakness for me), try getting up and walking around the block a couple of times until the urge is gone maybe? You might be able to replace the after dinner smoke habit with a after dinner walk habit.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress and just know that you will feel better when you are done with 'em!:grphug:

Jen17
01-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Hi,
I know what you are going through, but I can tell you when you do stop, you will feel great! You will have much more energy, your clothes and hair will not smell, you won't have to think about when and when your next cigarette will be. No more standing out in the freezing cold! Your doctor will be happy, you will add years to your life. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do, they are young enough they won't remember you smoking and if you don't, you won't have to worry about quitting when you decide to get pregnant. You will be able to walk up the stairs with out feeling like your going to pass out. You can check off NO to any doctor forms, life insurance forms to the "do you smoke" questions! It feels great to do that:cheering:
I can tell you all this good stuff because I quit smoking 5 years ago this past December 17, 2007 which happens to be the day my granddaughter was born (she will never know me as a smoker).
It is the best thing I have ever done for myself and yes it is hard as hell, but it beats the alternatives!!
This is how I quit...it may not work for everyone, but it did for me. I smoked for 25 years, not 24 not 26 exactly 25 long years.
In September of 07 I decided I was going to quit, I had never tried before and I was determined I was only going to have to do it once.
I picked December 17th as my quit day
I smoked my brains out until that day. I enjoyed every minute of it, because I didn't feel guilty because I knew I was going to quit.
On December 16 I smoked so much that even at midnight I had to have ONE more, so I did and then I slapped on the nicotine patch.
(o.k. one big mistake here and don't you make it!:rofl: it wasn't funny at the time, but I'm looking back here...I had smoked so much that day, that by adding a patch I was on nicotine overload and spent my first quit day throwing up and shaking, but at least I didn't feel like smoking!)
The patch has three steps. After the first step (which I think each step was for 3 weeks) I did it again. I did the second step for the one time and I did the third step two times. So instead of using the patch for the usual 9 weeks, I did it for 15.
I sucked on Werther's butterscotch and yes I did gain weight, but that is because I didn't exercise. So I went to Weight Watchers 6 months after I quit and lost it.
Anyway this is a long enough letter. I am still not smoking and I can't believe it doesn't bother me...I never thought I would see the day and I can't believe it is 5 years.
It is not easy, it will probably be the hardest thing you ever do. That's why I started out by telling you all the good things first.
I wish you luck and will keep you in my thoughts:muah:

Jen:knitting:

greenwitchknitter
01-21-2008, 11:47 AM
I was a smoker in high school and now would never think to pick it up again... so the moral of this story is YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
Like all have said, it does take will power but you have to at least try.. you will surprise yourself. Cold turkey worked for me, just decide, within yourself, for yourself, that you just wont be a smoker!
I wish you all the luck in the world!!

mwhite
01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you, Jen and Christine, your support is greatly appreciated! Mary

mcginnhold
01-21-2008, 12:04 PM
:yay: Congratulations !
You are not alone. I have gone for 4 wks. now. I never would have thought for one moment that I would want to choose not to smoke because (unfashionable as this may sound) I really loved smoking. Some of the ways that I tried to stop was chewing gum , the regular type. Then went on to the nicotine patch which left me feeling sick and jittery. Nicorette was something I used and enjoyed but didn't find it helped me very much at which point I figured nothing would help and I would forget quitting . My physician suggested that I try Chantix and I "kinda" was enthusiastic and skeptical . As you can see from the beginning sentence it worked. I'm with ya sista' If I can do you can too...yes really:grphug: .:angelgrin:
:pray: for you too,
elise

Jen17
01-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Mary, my heart goes out to you. I hope that the prescription continues to help you quit and that the other physical problems will be solved. Also, thank you for writing...hopefully "Knit" and other's will see what you are going through and will think more seriously about quitting before they start to have serious physical effects from it..:hug:

Jen17
01-21-2008, 12:18 PM
:woohoo: YOU GO GIRL!:hug:
Keep up the good work!

Ellieblue
01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
We all have a different story of how we quit. With me it was when I was pregnant. (this was before all the scare warnings you get today) I was having morning sickness ad the cigs just made it worse. The only helpful advice I can give is that you can/t just cut down;you have to stop smoking completely. good luck

alleusion
01-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I smoked after my first was born and until I got pregnant with my second. Quit cold turkey one day. I picked it back up again for a month or two during my divorce and quitting then was very hard. But I did it the same then as well. I have to say it doesn't work for everyone the same way.

However, I've heard alot of wonderful things about Chantix, so I suggest making an appointment with your doctor and discussing it with him or her.

Banrion
01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I quit back in August with the help of the Chantix. The key to the Chantix is that it stops your brain from absorbing nicotine, therefore your brain doesn't produce the chemicals that make you feel good. Patches and gums are just replacements, so you are just getting your nicotine through another method, they don't actually help to break the physical addiction, they focus primarily on the psycological addiction. Obviously, both types of addiction need to be addressed, but I found that with the Chantix, not having the physical cravings helped me to keep my will-power in check through the psychologial cravings.

Feel free to contact me if you want to know more about the first hand experience with Chantix, or just need some support.

vaknitter
01-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm not a smoker so maybe I shouldn't be posting, but....CONGRATULATIONS to all of you who have quit and best of luck to all of you who are trying to quit.
I "helped" my cousin quit by making her pay me everytime she lit up and/or bought a pack of cigarettes, if she thought about buying a pack and didn't then she put the money in a jar. It worked really well and once she quit for a year she had all this fun money to spend. She relapsed after a few years and is now on Chantix that seems to be working well for her.
Another option I have heard people talk about here in the hosp is hypnotism.

knittingymnast
01-21-2008, 03:45 PM
i dont smoke either but vaknitter has said it all.

saracidaltendencies
01-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm having the same problem. I want to quit smoking, but, I don't REALLY want to...lol...I was thinking about starting something like the Knitting Diet Challenge, only calling it Quitting For Knitting, an attempt to quit smoking...Basically when you feel the urge to smoke, pick up your needles instead. I have noticed, when I knit, I can go for hours without a cigarette. The only reason I haven't posted the challenge is 'cause...well, I'm not quite ready to quit yet...Bah! Maybe I should just go ahead and post it and just try. I tried once before and didn't smoke for about a month (well, aside from when I was pregnant...but I went back to smoking after my kids were born) and I felt really ready then. Since I started back up, I just haven't built up enough willpower again to seriously quit.

Jan in CA
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm so glad to see that so many of you are trying to quit! I never smoked, but my dad did and his health is suffering now because of it. He's got asthma, bronchitis, early COPD, etc. DH quit on his 35th birthday and I know you all can do it, too! :hug:

LoAnnie
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
My husband and I both recently quit, so I can give you two different person's methods. I quit first. It was an "I'm just not going to smoke anymore." method. I just decided I wouldn't smoke anymore. Also it helped that I didn't know anyone at my new job who smoked, so I couldn't go out for a socialization cig. A method I've heard of is when you find yourself wanting one, wait 5 minutes and reevaluate. Often you'll get busy doing something else, and will forget about the cig. My husband tried the gum, but decided that it was only taking the edge off enough to make him really want a cig. We are also people who really loved to smoke. We decided to do it for the children we don't have yet, because we didn't want to look like hypocrites later in life. I won't say it's easy, because every time I smell a cig or see one on TV, I want one. Just decide it's really what you want to do, and go for it. Best of Luck!!

LoAnnie

KnitWit1987
01-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I really appreciate it and its hard to believe how much help you can get from a forum. Each and every one of you have great ideas, now I just have to decide how I want to quit! I will keep you guys posted! Thanks :hug:

Mulderknitter
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I believe that today Oprah is doing a show on this.
I also really want to quit. let me know how the process goes for you!

gingerbread
01-22-2008, 10:02 AM
I quit and then oops I started again. I am on the Chantrix and it does work. The thing is you do have to want to quit smoking. Besides you have to keep on the chantrix even if you do quit, that is what I didn't do the last time.
I am giving you some big hugs :hug::hug: and hope that you quit soon. We are here to help you if you need us to keep you going for not smoking.

mcginnhold
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Jen :hug: :muah:,

It was so nice that you wrote and I thank you for your encouragement. It's nice to have your friendship and kindness.
:grphug: Elise

GinnyG
01-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I am a Cardiac Rehab Nurse and do Smoking Cessation for individual patients and groups.
First, CONGRATULATIONS on your desire to quit. Even though you do have a long smoking history it will be so much better to quit now than waiting til you are older.

SUccessfully quitting smoking requires PLANNING. Those who plan and prepare are much more successful than those who quit on a whim. Simple acts like picking a quit date and psychologically preparing yourself ahead of time as well as physically preparing your surroundings go a long way to helping you be successful.

There are three areas that you need approach smoking from; Physical Dependency; Psychological Dependency; and Habit.

Physical Dpendency is actually the easiest these days, despite the terribly addictive nature of nicotine. NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) and drugs have come a long way. See your Physician about the best regimine for you. Chantix is a MIRICLE drug and I have seen amazing success with it. NRT is also very effective, but the key is to use it correctly. Many people use it incorrectly and wonder why it doesn't work. The drug companies will tell you NOT to use NRT if you are on Chantix but many people find that as helpful as the Chantix is they still need to use the gum, patch or lozenge. There is no absolute contraindication for using them both if you need to.

Physchological Dependency is that believe that you can't handle life and stress without your cigarettes. YOU CAN. Many people believe that cigarettes help keep them calm, in fact cigarettes physiologically do the opposite. Learn how to manage your stress, through meditation, relazation techniques, exercise, yoga, WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU. Learn a relaxation technique and practice it DAILY.

Habit is the act of picking up a cigarette and smoking it at specifice times; after meals, in the car, when you get on the phone etc. You need to REPLACE the cigarette habit with something else. Some people change their routine, getting up right after a meal and washing the dishes, changing from coffee to tea, using a cordless phone and riding an exercise bike while talking on the phone. What ever you need to do to "changeup" those times when you most often pick up a cigarette.

Gum, hard candy and flavored toothpics can be helpful "oral" substitutes. Drinking lots of cold cold water can shock you mouth out of the "hunger" for a cigarette.

Plan ahead of time how you are going to deal with stressful situations, arrange a support network of people who are sensitive to your struggle and will help you through the difficult times. Find an on line forum (there are several) to share your struggle with.

And, knit knit knit. Knitting will occupy your hands and your mind at times when you are most desperate for a cigarette.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mwhite
01-22-2008, 11:49 AM
I actually quit buying packs about 4 months ago. I found that having a pack just made them totally available and I'd smoke one after another and not think about the damage it was doing. The coughing and constant congestion drives me and everyone around me nuts! I have been on the Chantix for about 2 weeks. It makes it very hard to smoke... I have no cravings and have taken up chewing gum again. I am down to about 5-6 cigarettes daily and sometimes the clock rolls around to 10pm and I am actually anxious to go to bed so that I can't consciously think of cigarettes. I make my housemates (husband and son) hide theirs so I can't just walk up and pick them up.

I've set Thursday, January 24, as my quit day. My son and husband, both smokers in transition as well, will be heading out for a 10 day fishing trip and their packs of cigarettes will no longer be available to me. My hope is that they will stop smoking as well. I will fill my time with knitting, sewing and decorating my new home, a home that will NEVER have a cigarette smoked in it!!! One of the results of long term smoking has been the horrible and yucky collection of nicotine on my furniture and all of my household belongings. When we began remodeling/renovating this house, the sheetrock on walls and the ceiling had years of nicotine residue buildup from the former owners. NO MORE!!! My 2 yr. old granddarling will come over Friday afternoon through Sunday and keep me occupied otherwise. We have never smoked around her and her mere presence on this earth is the single, biggest reason for me to put them down.

I appreciate everyone's encouragement and support. Thanks, bigtime! :muah: Mary

figaro
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Knitwit1987-I sill send you positive "stop smoking" vibes! You can do this, if you feel the urge, either pick up your knitting or log on here until the urge passes.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_9_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

And I hope don't mind if I hijack the thread for a moment but I just had to say this:

Mary, congratulations on picking the date to stop smoking! It sounds like you are in the right frame of mind to do it.
Good Luck to you Mary!!!

Jen17
01-22-2008, 12:06 PM
:woohoo: Congrat's to you! You will be so happy that you are doing this and having a grandchild there with you will certainly make it easier..all you have to do is look at him/her! I had written in my first post that my quit date had been Dec. 17, 2002 and my granddaughter was born Dec. 17, 2007! Well, I also have 3 other grandchildren, who do not remember me smoking. I picked the original date because my second grandchild was due to be born a couple of weeks after my quit date and she born was Jan. 4, 2003. I was smoking when my first grandson was born (he is now 12) and I was going to quit then, but they got stationed in Hawaii when he was 3 months old, so they weren't around. But when they came back and got stationed in CA (I live in RI) and I went to visit I remember him looking at me, outside having a cigarette and pointing and saying "Grandma, fire"! Jeez, I remember feeling terrible!
So grandchildren are another great reason to quit.

If you are having a hard time when the date gets here, come on to the thread...I'll be looking...and let us know how you are doing! We all care!:muah:

bethany
01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
my dad had to quit when he had his heart attack at 52. No choice there! My DH quit then too, and drinking Coke at the same time! I didn't realize it until one night I said "what is WRONG with you!?" He said "I haven't had a cigarette in 3 days!" Oh---great job honey! :) (I was in grad school and crazy busy, so I didn't notice!) BUT--you can do this. Make up your mind and do it. Use whatever you need to use, but do it. Throw away the ashtrays, wipe your walls down and see how yucky yellow they are... :) You can do it!

Jeremy
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Silver quit a good while ago and started a blog thread. I found it and bumped it up for you guys to use. Its called "The No Smoking Zone". I'm rooting for you!:grphug:

annomalley
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
The last time I smoked a cigarette was on September 24, 2004. I started when I was 18, quit when I got pregnant with my son, and then I was stupid and I started again. From the second time I started smoking, I smoked for 12 years. During that time, I tried quitting four times. I tried the gum, but it made my heart race when I chewed it, and that scared me. I tried cold turkey, which didn't last that long. I tried going to a smoking cessation class and weaning myself off of them, and it worked until my ex, who wanted me to quit, sabotaged it. I counted out my next day and the day after's allotment of cigarettes, told him to hide the day after's so I wouldn't cheat, and then I found out that he took one out of tomorrow's and added it to the day after's so I ended up having more when I was supposed to have fewer. I tried the patch, which only lasted me about two days before I was ready to climb the walls.

Finally, I ended up going to my doctor and he prescribed me some Zyban. One of the "effects" of that pill was that after a few days when you took it, you would start to feel nauseous when you smoked. I was able to quit the first time because I suffered from very bad morning sickness while I was pregnant and, believe me, the last thing I wanted when I was so nauseous was a cigarette. It also helped that at the time I started taking the Zyban, we also moved, so my routine was upset quite a bit. And we were also moving into a place that did not smell like cigarettes.

One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life was quit smoking. I can give you advice, and I can share my own experience, but in the end, to be successful, you have to find the way that works the best for you. You also have to realize that yes, you will stumble and you will give into temptation, but the key here is to not beat yourself up over slipping up. There is not one single person on this Earth who has not slipped up in one way to another. Realize why you slipped and learn from that. Use it to help you go on. That's how I ended up trying the Zyban. :)

Good luck to you, and remember, there are lots of people here who have been in your shoes that would also be more than happy to lend an ear, too. :)

msoebel
01-23-2008, 11:47 AM
For some reason, I watched Opray yesterday. I don't usually, but dd was occupied with various little things and I was knitting, so the background noise was nice.

Her entire show was on quitting smoking. If you go to her website, I am sure she has tons of information on it.

Best wishes! And good for you for choosing to do this! Just remember to do it for you, and not for your fiancee.

Silver
01-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Www.quitnet.com (http://www.quitnet.com) really helped me find motivation during the first days of my quit. I still visit every so often to help others quitting. I quit 2 years, 110 days ago. I'm Silver925 on Quitnet.

This was my 4th quit, and so far, my longest. The key, I believe, is that you have to not want to smoke anymore, not just want to quit. I quit while on my way to buy a pack of smokes. The store is less than 2 minutes from my house. On the way there, I decided to quit, and left with a box of nicotine gum instead. I haven't had a single puff since that evening, October 5th, 2005 at about 5:30pm. I have zero desire to smoke again, even when I'm with a crowd of smokers. I really believe this is it for me.

You CAN do it. It doesn't have to be as hard as they say. Just make up your mind and the willpower comes from within. If you believe it will be hard, it will be hard. If you believe you will quit, then you will.

Best of luck to all of you quitting. I hope you soon breathe better. :hug:

Sharly
01-23-2008, 02:14 PM
I have never been a smoker, but I have lost loved ones to smoking related diseases. I hope you can quit soon. Good luck! :thumbsup:

susi
01-23-2008, 06:14 PM
the thing that wored for me was everytime i went to light up i told myself that this actually smells lile a horse smuck heap smoldering (and it does, i have horses and do burn it, its nasty like that).

try that along with will power and patches see if that help

susi

mwhite
01-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Knitwit1987, I've spent the whole thinking about the benefits of not smoking, preparing myself to quit. I want first to apologize for hijacking, as figaro put it, your thread but I needed and really appreciate you starting it. :muah: :muah:

To everyone else, I'm gonna do it and I so appreciate the advise, experiences and input you are giving. Tomorrow, my quit day, I intend to keep myself busy and will check in occasionally to keep in line. I've argued several times with myself, or rather the "smoking" self who thinks I need them to function. NOT SO!
I can do this!

Nighty Night! :mrgreen:

KnitWit1987
01-24-2008, 01:40 AM
mwhite, I sincerly wish you the best of luck and you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how your doing and I know you can do it!! If you need any help or just to chat pm me as I am on here ALOT!! BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!! :)

mwhite
01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
It's abouty 2:20pm here and I'm doing good. I caught myself looking at my husband and son's shirt pockets for packs of cigarettes about 10:30 this morning. NOPE! Don't need them! They left for Costa Rica about 1:45pm and took those shirt-pocket-cigarettes with them, so as long as I don't drive 10 miles to the nearest store, I'm safe! I just have some change and a credit card, so NOT gonna buy them and waste my bucks.

I've quit coughing and my breathing is much better. I think the last cigarette I smoked was around 10:30 last night. Fixing to each some lunch and sit down to finish my top-down pink sweater, only one more sleeve to go!!! :woot: :woot:

:knitting: :knitting: :knitting: :thumbsup:

Silver
01-24-2008, 10:08 PM
You can do it!!! Keep it up!! :woohoo:

figaro
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
You can do it!!!:woohoo::hug::woot:

KnitWit1987
01-25-2008, 04:55 AM
YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!! :yay: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

mrs.hre
01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
i smoked for about 20 years. i took the chantix pills which are expensive. it took me twice with them and now it is a year i am smoke free. i do get cravings but i think of when inhaling and coughing i say i don't need it. also at work all the people that smoke all they do is hack i hate to use that word but that is what it is, and i think that was me doing that for yrs. and the smell yuck. YOU CAN DO IT MAGGIE

Jen17
01-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey Mary!
How are you doing? Was thinking about you today when I was at the store and saw the cigarettes behind the counter...so I came home and logged on to see how you are doing?
Here's a big:hug: if you need it!!

mwhite
01-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Lord, have mercy, this is the hardest thing.... I am really having to keep myself occupied and literally argue with myself to keep from buying them. I did okay yesterday but today has been tough. I took off this morning, went and had the tires rotated/ oil changed. Then went to town to look for things I need for the house.... I have gotten on my last nerve... finished my sweater-- the neck is too big to suit me, sleeves are too tight at the wrist... I am disgusted, threw it into the washer to block tomorrow. Maybe some magical, genie thing'll happen in the washing and it'll look better. NOT!

I put up one of the blinds I found and I would have given my last dollar to someone to get the bloomin screws to start!!! Ugh... Maddi and I have been playing, giggling and generally having fun. I swear, sometimes that child is the only person that keeps me sane. LOL! Okay, I've started a pair of socks for myself and only had to rip out about 7 rows of the heel, so not doing so bad. I need to get into the sack so I can stay ahead of the two year old tomorrow, but wanna get to a stopping point on the first sock....you know, just let me get to the end of this row.

I'm not usually very hard to get along with but I pity the fool that decides to cross me in the next few days.

Love ya'll for your support. It really helps me to know someone's out there pluggin for me. Mary

KnitWit1987
01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Mary I hope your doing well. I have a lot of respect for you as I havent been able to get the guts to try and quit yet. Good luck and hopefully it is getting easier for you! :hug:

gamerchik
01-26-2008, 09:52 PM
I wish you the best! I know you can do it.

My hubby and I quit in April and although it was difficult, we are very glad that we quit smoking. It's been almost 10 months now since we quit smoking! We used the Commit lozenges for a month and it REALLY helped us to ween ourselves off the nicotine so that we weren't screaming and yelling at each other. We only had about 3 lozenges per day at first (they recommend that you take more) and we did just fine -- it really took the edge off.

I also recommend that you visit a place called www.quitnet.com -- it is a very cool web site with lots of support. It keeps track of your "quit smoking stats"...here are my stats:

Your Quit Date is: 4/2/2007 4:00:00 AM
Time Smoke-Free: 299 days, 14 hours, 50 minutes and 29 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 5992 :woohoo:
Lifetime Saved: 1 month, 15 days, 18 hours
Money Saved: $897.00

Good luck! I'd be more than happy to chat with you if you ever need quitting-support.

You can do it! :D

Dangles
01-29-2008, 12:21 AM
mwhite and knitwit1987: Keep it up you two. You've got my support :)

DQ
01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Good luck to everyone trying to quit :hug:

I've never smoked myself, but when my DH quit he used nicotine gum at first and then switched to regular gum.

texas1107
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
I'll jump on this band wagon. I've smoked since 12, 39 now. DH stopped Dec. 7, 2006, just stopped. But, he was sick and going to Gastroenterolgist for chokiing on food and was being checked for cancer, wasn't, thank God. He's been on me to quit too and I really want to, even if I do enjoy it. It makes me sick to my stomach sometimes and I have migraines after smoking too much. I am going to try the commit losenges first.

mwhite
01-29-2008, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the band wagon!

I'm hanging in but am so totally addicted, it's not easy. I find my nonsmoker self arguing with my addict self and my addict self flat out telling me I a hopeless smoker. I feel so good physically and emotionally when I don't smoke. So I am making myself keep busy.

Jen17
01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Mary:hug: Good for you, you're doing great! I keep coming back to see how you are doing! Hang in there:woot:

ArtLady1981
01-30-2008, 04:24 AM
While I'm not recommending this...but here is how I managed to quit: I got pregnant. Five times...but quit for good when I was pg with #3.

Not too long after that, my Mom died from smoking. She was only 46.

I've managed to stay around for 59 years so far. My 5 children and 10 grandchildren thank me.

I wish Momma had stayed around! She'd be 77. She's missed out on a lot!

Jen17
01-31-2008, 12:41 AM
:hug: It must have been hard to lose your Mom when she was so young, because you must have been very young yourself.
I quit for myself, because if you don't do it for yourself, it's not going to work. Then, once you have quit, everyone else reaps the benefits. I mean I was thinking of my kids and quit 2 weeks before grandchild #2 was born, but deep down you really have to want to do it for you.

I just thought of something..now any of you that have read this and say to yourself...hmm, I don't know if I really am doing it for myself or someone else, so therefore I don't need to try...yes you do! Try anyway..you'll be so happy when you do!

texas1107
01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
I started on the Committ losenges today. Cross your fingers!! I really do want to quit, I just don't have any willpower. I will start telling myself that I don't need to quit or that I enjoy it and start up again. At least, in the past I did. I won't let that happen this time.

Silver
01-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Best of luck Texas!! You can do it!! :hug:

knittingymnast
01-31-2008, 08:54 PM
good luck every1!!!! :muah:

Jen17
01-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Texas,
Good luck:cheering: You have taken the first step. Don't worry about having "willpower". All you need is a desire to quit and get healthy for yourself and the rest will follow. Come back and talk with us here on this thread or other threads if you are having a hard day or hour!
Take care:hug:

texas1107
02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I may need to. So far, so good. We'll see how today goes. I'm already to a point of wanting a puff.

mwhite
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
You do not need them.... remember the reasons you want to not smoke.... suck in a few very deep breaths... get busy doing something that you need to get done or makes you feel good about yourself.....

texas1107
02-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I know. I am dissolving my 2nd commit right now. It really does help the craving. I'm so glad. It's just that it is so boring here by myself at work. I'm a manager of a storage place and there is noone to talk to. I at least have my knitting, but, that is getting to me too. LOL:knitting:

mwhite
02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
A journal/accounting of your thoughts is something to do as well. If you must stay in one place and you're alone, the journal can be a companion. Make lists of things you need to take care of short-term. Make lists of things you need to do long-term. Keep track of your goals and dreams. Heck, list all the knitting goodies you want to make....surfing for new patterns really fills the time, too. I'm at home, with only the cats and the dog, organizing my stash, washing clothes, wiping the dust from baseboards... LOLOL!!! Now, how in the world did those get dusty in one week's worth of living in this house??? Yep, I'm a tad nutty but nobody's here to laugh at me and I'm dealing with this new, NO SMOKING life and I gotta do something.... I'm here to communicate with ya, though! Mary

texas1107
02-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Well, I hope you stop too. I guess we HAVE to just do whatever it takes to get our brain to detour away from it however we can. I wish I could be home right now. I have tons of things that need to be done and don't have time when I work 6 days a week. Well, I'll be around for you too.

mwhite
02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I know how that is... Hubby and Son are in Costa Rica working and fishing for this week, will be home Monday. I can't work on boats, so I'm off work...we usually work Mon-Sat and all this free time is very strange to me. I love it, but not used to having to decide what to do. I have quit smoking, used to be a 2-pack a day smoker. I have smoked 4 cigs since last Thursday. I am taking the Chantix, which makes me nauseated but curbs the craving. In fact, I think the only time it makes me sick is when I smoke, so I'm not smoking. I am 9 miles from the nearest store so I have intentionally stayed at home as much as possible this week. It's not easy but I just keep telling myself that I don't need them and I certainly ain't gonna die without them!

What other things do you like to do besides knit?

texas1107
02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Sleep:roflhard:
I don't have much that I have time for anymore. I used to love working on wood with DH's scroll saw. I love doing the detailed stuff.
I used to stay in the garage doing stuff with it and doing yard art. I love drawing. I used to have a job in graphics at a sign company, but, got laid off when jobs were slow coming in. I loved doing the artwork and cutting the vinyl and putting on the signs and seeing the finished product. I miss it sometimes. Now, I am looking for another job to get away from where I am. I need insurance and days off!! LOL

Maybe I should get a couple of drags from a cig. One of the side effects is nasea if I smoke. Too much nicotine.

mwhite
02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Love woodcrafts, just don't have the machine or tool skills.... I used to love to sew but turned it into a job and now I garden or knit. Yard art is so cool! All the garden shops are full of things but handmade is best. We have a new Jackson and Perkins shop in the nearby town... I think Park Seed bought them out, anyway this outlet has tons of yard art. You have talent!!! Don't you hate it when you can't use it in your job?

texas1107
02-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I know. I would love to be able to get paid for making things from wood. I'll post the 3 things that I still have on here, if I can remember when I get home. I don't remember things too well anymore. LOL

mwhite
02-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Are you actually in Texas? My father was born there... just wondering. I have an aunt that still lives there... hmmm, not sure will have to check the maps. Yep, my memory is not as good either... I refuse to admit that it's age but I'm sure it is.

Banrion
02-01-2008, 02:24 PM
I am taking the Chantix, which makes me nauseated but curbs the craving.

Eat bread a little bit right before, and a little bit right after you take your Chantix. It doesn't have to be boring bread, just something bread-like, muffins, toast, biscuits, crackers. This REALLY helped me with the nausea part of the Chantix, I just wish I had figured it out sooner. Took me about 4 weeks! For me, the morning pill was much worse than the evening, and I think it has to do with an empty stomach.

texas1107
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeap, I'm in Texas. I'm about 80 miles east of Dallas, near Greenville.

mwhite
02-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Eat bread a little bit right before, and a little bit right after you take your Chantix. It doesn't have to be boring bread, just something bread-like, muffins, toast, biscuits, crackers. This REALLY helped me with the nausea part of the Chantix, I just wish I had figured it out sooner. Took me about 4 weeks! For me, the morning pill was much worse than the evening, and I think it has to do with an empty stomach.

Thanks! I've actually changed my lifestyle and am now eating breakfast, so that helps. I have a whole box of saltines on my desk at work for the afternoon. I'll just be glad to get rid of the smoking and the Chantix.

texas1107 Yeap, I'm in Texas. I'm about 80 miles east of Dallas, near Greenville.

Daddy was from Mineral Wells. Our son goes to Carrollton for outboard motor school every couple of years. Actually, I think they've moved but not very far from Carrollton. Will have to look at a map when I get back to work next Wednesday.

What's really funny is that I live about 80 miles west of Greenville, here in SC, too! LOL!

texas1107
02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Daddy was from Mineral Wells. Our son goes to Carrollton for outboard motor school every couple of years. Actually, I think they've moved but not very far from Carrollton. Will have to look at a map when I get back to work next Wednesday.

What's really funny is that I live about 80 miles west of Greenville, here in SC, too! LOL!

My son was staying with a friend in Pleasant Garden NC, about 5 miles south of Greenville, NC. LOL Sure are alot of Greenvilles!:roflhard:

mwhite
02-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Well, I'm off to take a much needed nap! One of the advantages of being home alone............... Hang in there, you can do it!

KnitWit1987
02-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I am so glad to see you two are doing so well :yay: I must admit just reading you guys posts is giving me the will power to try! Thanks for keeping us informed on how you are doing and good luck!!! :muah:

mwhite
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm Ba-ack! LOL! So join us.... I have a dinner with my daughter and son in law at 6:15, will bring my granddaughter home with me and I'll be checking in until around 10pm EST.... It does help to have someone sharing the same experience. I'll be able to check in until late Monday everyday. Then will have to get ready to go back to work and the springtime grind season... We work on boats and motors so as soon as it gets around 65 degrees, all the "Boat People" come out. Join Us and Quit!

texas1107
02-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I want to come work with you mwhite LOL
Yes, join us knitwit. If I can do this, anyone can. I have no willpower, but, the commit's are helping with the cravings. I just have to find something else to do with my hands. I have put the knitting down for the time being as I got mad earlier and almost frogged the things in a huff. Nope, not going to take it out on my hard work. I would cry then. LOL

mwhite
02-01-2008, 09:35 PM
How bout you go to work FOR me! I would stay at home and be a lady of leisure, watch the flowers grow and keep my house spotless! Remember, I work for/with my son and husband--- Who's the boss?

texas1107
02-02-2008, 12:42 PM
How bout you go to work FOR me! I would stay at home and be a lady of leisure, watch the flowers grow and keep my house spotless! Remember, I work for/with my son and husband--- Who's the boss?

LOL, yeah, I can see where might be conflict

texas1107
02-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I am having a really hard time today. The withdrawls are getting to me right now. I need to go to the bank, but, I know, if I do, I will get cigarettes. DH laughed and said, oh, only about 2 weeks more and the really bad will be over. ARRRRGGGHHHHH:gah: :hair: :help:

mwhite
02-02-2008, 03:31 PM
You will have to be strong, make yourself understand that you control this situation!!! Don't let the nicotine control you! Yes, it's hard but I know you can do it! Shame on DH, he should know better! I'm that mouse in your pocket and think of me going through the same struggle.... We can do this! Mary

texas1107
02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
You will have to be strong, make yourself understand that you control this situation!!! Don't let the nicotine control you! Yes, it's hard but I know you can do it! Shame on DH, he should know better! I'm that mouse in your pocket and think of me going through the same struggle.... We can do this! Mary

I know it sounds mean what he said, but, he really is trying to help. He wants me to understand that it isn't going away over night and to put it in my head to FIGHT. He does have a mean streak though when he is teasing, that is for sure. I get him back though, don't worry:happydance: Thank you for being here and I want to be here for you too. We'll both be smokefree and feeling better soon together!!:cheering:
I just found out that my sister, who will drink from noon until bedtime everyday, except work days, where she will grab a beer as soon as she walks in the door, hasn't had a drink in a month and she is doing this on her own. She is 45 and has been drinking like this for at least 20 years. If she can do that, I can damn sure do this!!

mwhite
02-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Good for Sister and not trying to be hard on DH. I'm off to take a walk with granddaughter and check the mail. I'm here for ya!

texas1107`
02-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I AM OVER 72 HOURS COMPETELY SMOKEFREE!!:yay:
I have never gone 48 hours without a puff here and there to curb the cravings. I can honestly say this time, I have not even touched a cigarette since 8:30 am Thursday morning.:woot: :balloons:

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 07:52 PM
oh, Stacy! how good! wow, you might even quit! (hopefully!! lol) keep up the good work! you GO girl!

KnitWit1987
02-04-2008, 01:57 AM
I am so happy for both of you keep up the great work!!!! :yay: :woot: :woohoo:

mwhite
02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Husband and Son decided to come home early....:waah: my peace and quiet totally shattered but I'm managing. Missed my afternoon nap yesterday.... still not smoking but those Cuban cigars, G brought for his friend, JB, did try to get my attention. I just :yadda: :yadda: , didn't give them a second look.

Might get to knit some today.... working on finishing a circular afghan for the livingroom.

You're doin GREAT, Texas! :yay: :cheering: :woohoo:

texas1107
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
THANKS!!
Today is a little hard. I've wanted a cigarette all morning. I'm not going to give in though. Too many reasons not too other than my health. Keep it up Mary!!
knitwit, anytime you want to join in, feel free!!

knittingymnast
02-04-2008, 05:03 PM
awesome guys! just resist the urge a little longer.....

grandmabobbi
02-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Not to sound unsympathetic or anything, but you've only been smoking for 8 years. My grandma is almost 70 and had been smoking since high school. She just decided to quit, and she did it. No patches, gum, or anything. You just have to have the willpower.

mwhite
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Not to sound unsympathetic or anything, but you've only been smoking for 8 years. My grandma is almost 70 and had been smoking since high school. She just decided to quit, and she did it. No patches, gum, or anything. You just have to have the willpower.

Not to worry, no sympathy needed... I've had this habit a very long time... I'm 51 and remember smoking at 10, not really anything to be proud of. Good for your Grandma!

texas1107
02-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Don't need sympathy here either. It's been a little longer than 8 years for me too, 27 to be exact. Your grandmother is a strong woman and should very proud of herself as should you. This isn't for sympathy, this is for us smokers trying to get better to lend support to each other.

KnitWit1987
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Don't need sympathy here either. It's been a little longer than 8 years for me too, 27 to be exact. Your grandmother is a strong woman and should very proud of herself as should you. This isn't for sympathy, this is for us smokers trying to get better to lend support to each other.
Well said texas that was the exact reason for starting this thread! Not looking for sympathy, afterall we all made the choice to smoke ourselfs. Just simply wanting to encourage other people to quit and get support here :) I am so proud of you guys and I WILL be joining you soon!!!

texas1107
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
ONE WEEK!!!!!
I cannot believe, I have gone a whole week without a cigarette. I also quit the Commit. It was trading one for the other. BUT, today, I FEEL GREAT!!! I haven't even craved one today at all!!! It took me 10 lozenges. I think I will donate the rest of the 72 to my sister!!

Jen17
02-08-2008, 01:39 AM
Wow Texas:woohoo: good for you! You must feel fantastic! I haven't been able to be on the computer for a couple of days and I came back to see how you and Mary are doing! Keep up the good work!
:woot:

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
congrats all of you! :woot:

mwhite
02-08-2008, 10:52 AM
ONE WEEK!!!!!
I cannot believe, I have gone a whole week without a cigarette. I also quit the Commit. It was trading one for the other. BUT, today, I FEEL GREAT!!! I haven't even craved one today at all!!! It took me 10 lozenges. I think I will donate the rest of the 72 to my sister!!

:muah: :muah: :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay: :teehee:

Isn't it nice to be able to smell your own perfume??? I love it and OMG, food tastes too good..... uh-onto the next life changing adventure...:mrgreen: :mrgreen: ;)

texas1107
02-08-2008, 11:17 AM
THANK YOU ALL!!!
The food, omg, I can't believe that I can already taste the difference. It's more savory. I crave an egg, sausage and cheese croissant every morning now after having one Wednesday. LOL

texas1107
02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Soooo, how's everyone doing?? I'm on day 9 and doing better each day. I will still be sitting here and do something that will trigger a habit puff, and think, okay, time to smoke, then I say, oh yeah, I'm not poisoning myself anymore:mrgreen: then I just find something else to do. Yeah, it is still a good tug and makes for a little jittery few minutes, but, it goes away. I'm getting a little congestion now. Guess I'm cleansing??:woot: :yay:

texas1107`
02-24-2008, 11:38 AM
So, haven't heard about anyone in a while. Today my counter told me that I have a milestone day, 1 day of life saved today. I am 24 days quit, not smoked 289 cigarettes and saved $95.61!! I never thought I could do it, but, I did! WOOHOO!!:happydance:

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 12:13 PM
WAY TO GO TEXAS! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :cheering: :cheering:

Maybe that ninety-some dollars can be used to buy YARN! Have a great one! :muah:

texas1107`
02-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I have to find time for knitting now. LOL. I was promoted kinda, to another facility that is REALLY busy and the bosses are there daily, so, I lost my knitting time. I can knit on Sunday and on any other day off, if I get one, after cleaning. I am just now getting done with the 2nd panel of a throw that I started a month ago:pout:

knittingymnast
02-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Aww, if I could, I would give you all the knitting time in the world! You deserve it!