PDA

View Full Version : Circs for two socks at once

cheesiesmom
01-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I want to order a book from knitpicks for knitting two socks at once. Of course, Iíve ordered some sock yarn too. But what I need to know is how long should the circulars be? I have sets of 24" that I use for socks. For two at once, do they need to be longer. It doesnít say in the description of the book and Iíd like to order them if there is a particular size necessary. Anyone know?

Ellieblue
01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
your 2 24" circs will work just fine. As for "how to's" check out advanced techniques for 2 circs in the help vidios. Also check Silver's sock tutorial. :sun: Ellie

boo1
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
you try two? I'm wondering b/c I have the video for 2, but not 1 at a time.

(I made a pair years ago with dpns-that's my only sock experience)

Knitting_Guy
01-22-2008, 09:23 AM
It would probably be a little easier if you knew how to do a single sock at a time, so you understand the basics of sock construction, but I really don't see why you couldn't learn it doing two at once.

cheesiesmom
01-22-2008, 01:58 PM
I know how to knit socks, cuff/down; toe/up, on 2 circs and (my fave so far) dps (brittany birches). I love knitting socks. I've made about a dozen pairs in the last 2 years, but I want to do two at once cuz I thought I could knit them faster and have time to...make more socks!

I know Knitty had a method of doing two by knitting one inside of the other, but that seemed too much of a challenge. And I've noticed that my two socks are ever so slightly off in length. I figured two at once would help that situation.

If you've done the two at once thing, comments please.

Thanks all for your input. :muah:

fibrenut
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Hiya cheesy,
Well you've gotten the basics down with one at a time. I think it would be easy on the two cirx thing to just cast on the other sox with a different ball of yarn on the same needle and just make sure that you don't get the balls mixed up when you are knitting for each sock.:knitting:

1to1
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Two socks at once with 1 - 40". KnitPicks now sells them!!!:muah::woot:

I heard the author on a podcast and all the patterns are for cuff down. I like toe-up and she said she was looking into doing a book for that too.

Lisa_H-Town
01-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Two socks at once with 1 - 40". KnitPicks now sells them!!!:muah::woot:

I heard the author on a podcast and all the patterns are for cuff down. I like toe-up and she said she was looking into doing a book for that too.

I have been waiting for over a week for KP to e-mail me that I can order the 40" Fixed :tap: They are out of stock....

Yay on the book!! Haven't listened to her Podcast in a while....

a.shin.grace
01-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Lordy, I feel like the last 10 posts I've done I've been raaaaving about silver's tutorial, and how I'm learning to do 2 socks at once. I've NEVER done socks before, in fact just started knitting for real a few months ago. I'm a pretty crafty person in general, grew up twisting lanyards and hemp and floss so I figured knitting was the next step. So far, it's been a blast.

I was worried about the tangle-factor of having two separate balls of yarn coming from one set of needles, but I put each ball into a separate plastic bag and set them on the floor, one on either side of me. With one strand coming from the left, the other coming from the right (as opposed to both in the same bag sitting on one side of me on the couch), as long as I'm mindful to keep untwisting every few rounds, I haven't had a single problem with getting tangled up. After a while it becomes intuitive and with every round of you rotate it the right way you'll never get twisted up.

I decided to go for 2 at once on 1 circ because a) I'm not too fond of DPNs.. I'll tolerate it for doing decreases at the top of the hat when my circ becomes too big to accomodate the fewer stitches, but now that I've learned how to do small diameter knitting with 2 circs (thanks KH!), to be honest I don't think I'll ever have use for DPNs again... maybe I speak too soon. =] and b) I figured it's best to kill two bird with one stone (har har, double double entendre) and c) between the two at once on 1 circ and two at once on 2 circ tutorials on silver, 2 on 1 circ is with worsted weight on size 5s, 2 on 2 circs is like, normal sock weight yarn on like size 1s... I figured the worsted weight would be a quicker knit, so I went with that. =]

Hope that helped!

cheesiesmom
01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I prefer cuff down so I won't mind getting some new sock patterns. The two skeins have sort of put me off. I tried doing two sweater sleeves at once, it became an awful mess and I found it frustrating. Hopefully, the sock thing will be easier.

BTW where does one find Silver's 2 at once sock tutorial? :??

Silver
01-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Ahem. ;)
Sock Classes (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks)

Lisa1216
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
I just finished doing 2 socks on 1 circ. I used a 32" circ and knit them top down. I found I would have liked a longer circ once I picked up all of the gussett stitches. The stitches were way too crowed and I had trouble pulling the cable around to work on each side of the sock. I think a 40" cable would have been great, but I didn't have one. After a while I just put one of the socks on stitch holders and finished them one at a time.

Miss Kittie
01-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I have done them on 24" cir.
I like doing the toe-up then you can see how much yarn you have left to make them longer without running out of yarn..
I lost one of my (or it's on a UFO) 24" cir so I'm using one 18" and one 24". :teehee:

Mirl56
01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
When I make 2 socks at once on 2 circs, I put each ball of yarn in a quart size zip lock bag. Keeps them from getting tangled.