PDA

View Full Version : HAT OBSESSION

Pat in Ca
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
It started when I made some simple roll top chemo hats for a friend..
the round and round stockinette put me in a meditative state..I am hooked..I have been experimenting with different patterns.. ribbed pattern on brim..cable.. beanie..the problem is.. I look terrible in hats..so I made 3 calometry (1 WW and 1 chunky).. they are more flattering.. but I thought I would ask the experts what hat they like to WEAR best.. also, what gauge and yarn weight is best? I have read that tighter gauge (smaller needles) and chunky weight yarn is the best.. but recently just read a pattern that said a looser gauge gave a hat a "more fashionable" look...I am going on a ski vacation and will actually use my creations!! thanks for any advice on how to cure my obsession for the perfect hat..

Pat in Ca
01-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I meant "roll brim" not roll top , you know stockinette all the way

Jaxhil
01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
I am by no means an expert, but have you tried a beret? I have two that my mother made me and they are cute and you can fiddle with them to get different looks. Be careful though-the first time she made one for me it was as big as a pizza pan :rofl: She's so sweet she frogged it and now its perfect :teehee:

I want to add, I know how you feel about hats-I am the same way, although I haven't made any in a while-they are *extremely* addicting!! Lots of fun, very relaxing, and FAST. What more could you want?!

Have fun on your skiing vacation!

knittingymnast
01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
It started when I made some simple roll top chemo hats for a friend..
the round and round stockinette put me in a meditative state..I am hooked..I have been experimenting with different patterns.. ribbed pattern on brim..cable.. beanie..the problem is.. I look terrible in hats..so I made 3 calometry (1 WW and 1 chunky).. they are more flattering.. but I thought I would ask the experts what hat they like to WEAR best.. also, what gauge and yarn weight is best? I have read that tighter gauge (smaller needles) and chunky weight yarn is the best.. but recently just read a pattern that said a looser gauge gave a hat a "more fashionable" look...I am going on a ski vacation and will actually use my creations!! thanks for any advice on how to cure my obsession for the perfect hat..

OMG! I am so obsessed too!!! :roflhard:

cindycactus
01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I understand your obsession. I totally love making hats and socks. But I don't wear the hats, they go to other people. Socks are mostly mine.:knitting:

Mirl56
01-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I know what you mean - talk about instant gratification!

I like these felted hats: http://webhome.idirect.com/~quanah/patfelthat.html
I made this one, but I keep forgetting to actually felt it!

This year I made myself an earflap hat and my boss gave me a rather nice basic beanie-style hat (he bought) that I know is knit w/that recycled silk suri yarn. I've been wearing either of those 2 mostly this winter.