PDA

View Full Version : My Stash Organization Solution! (Images)

AnnArrogance
01-22-2008, 02:42 AM
I'm pretty proud of myself. I've only been knitting since June, so I don't have a huge stash or a ton of supplies yet (although I think it's quite a bit for 6 months!), but it had definitely outgrown the one bin I had bought to contain it. So I made a trip to the Container Store the other day, and here are the results!

This is my new "Knitting Center!"
http://i27.tinypic.com/szv715.jpg
I've got all my straights, DPNs, and crochet hooks in the jars on top, as well as a S&B page-a-day calendar (some great patterns in there so far!)

I have (most of) my yarn in labeled Ziplocs by brand/kind in the top 2 cabinets:
http://i31.tinypic.com/2rq0cd4.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/24mrkma.jpg

I've got all my knitting books in one bottom cabinet:
http://i27.tinypic.com/jab7ty.jpg

And all my circs, notions, travel kits, and small or loose patterns in bins in the other bottom cabinet:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2v1ov8g.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2cf2r29.jpg

And the whole thing's on wheels! Granted, it's almost too heavy to move, but at least I can move it in principle! =)

I have the rest of my yarn in this green bin and that's the knitted knitting bag I made on top of it. I also went to Home Depot and got 2 eyebolts that were the right size for the holes in the side of the crates so I can clip my little yarn pouches to them when I've got a WIP.
http://i31.tinypic.com/24pjtrt.jpg

Anyway, I'm all proud of myself and DH really doesn't care as long as it's not scattered all over the bedroom, so I just wanted to share with y'all! :)

The.Knitter
01-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Nice job organizing. It looks all nice and modern and clean. I think you did a fantastic job! Congrats!!!

knitmama
01-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Wow! Just wow! I totally want to organize all my stuff now.

kimmypooh
01-22-2008, 06:01 AM
I will need to come up with something like that. All of my stuff is in those big plastic bins. And I have allot of craft stuff. Great job!:yay:

GiddyKnitter
01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Right...you have shamed me into organizing my stash!
All my yarn is in 2 big plastic containers with lids on and my patterns
and books are just on a shelf...I love how you have labeled those little containers for all your bits and bobs..A job well done x

Mirl56
01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
That looks really nice! The challenge will be keeping it so nicely organized as your stash grows!!

sue in canada
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
That looks great. Now the challenge is to keep the stash under control.

NJnewbieknitter
01-22-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow, do I have organizational-envy !!

:notworthy:

That Container Store sounds like heaven. How tall are those cabinets, btw??

Always in stitches
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Awesome! I love the way you did this! Very inspiring.

Thanks,
Jeanne

figaro
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
So do you want to come and organize all my stash and other knitting necessities? I need some serious help, my books are in the closet down here, the yarn is in a bin back in the office, my new yarn will not fit there so it is hidden upstairs (hubby does not know about it yet) and my immediate knitting is down here next to the couch....I said I need help!

babsnelson
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
That looks like some fabulous storage!! And I love your knitting bag - so bright and cheery!!

dustinac
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
:woohoo: It looks great!!

I didn't know that the Container stores existed till I seen Oprah... I was so excited when I found out that dh works near one:woot:

Jen17
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I cannot let my hubby see this post!:rofl: If he does, I'm in serious trouble, because my stash and supplies are all over the house! He would be after me even more than he is now ! I keep thinking to myself I'm going to do what you did, but I never get around to it!
I tried to find one of those little icons for "procrastination" but I can't, lol:roflhard:

Jen:knitting:

AnnArrogance
01-22-2008, 12:58 PM
That looks really nice! The challenge will be keeping it so nicely organized as your stash grows!!

Thanks! To be fair, however, I do have some more yarn stashed under the bed in baggies that DH doesn't know about! But not much... once I finish like 2 projects it'll all be gone! :)

Wow, do I have organizational-envy !!

That Container Store sounds like heaven. How tall are those cabinets, btw??

The Container Store is one of my favorite places on earth! :inlove: They have a great website, too. The cabinets are 14" square, and they sell all the bits separately so you can get them w/ or w/o doors, shelves, x-dividers, etc. We have a bunch in our office bolted to the wall as textbook storage, too. I think they're just called "galvanized cubes." I know, creative name, huh? :)

So do you want to come and organize all my stash and other knitting necessities? I need some serious help, my books are in the closet down here, the yarn is in a bin back in the office, my new yarn will not fit there so it is hidden upstairs (hubby does not know about it yet) and my immediate knitting is down here next to the couch....I said I need help!

:roflhard: I would love to! :) I'm a bit OCD (seriously, I have rules in my head for what order I have to brush my teeth in, my books are alphabetized and arranged by subject, stuff like that), so I really love doing organizational-type stuff. Not that you'd know it from the rest of my house! Apparently a house with ZERO storage and two pack-rats living in it does not make for an organized home. Who knew?

I cannot let my hubby see this post! If he does, I'm in serious trouble, because my stash and supplies are all over the house! He would be after me even more than he is now ! I keep thinking to myself I'm going to do what you did, but I never get around to it!
I tried to find one of those little icons for "procrastination" but I can't, lol

Jen

Tee hee... that's WHY i had to do this in the first place! :) I had tote bags full of yarn and needles all over the bedroom, row counters in the living room, scissors in the bathroom... he finally laid down the law, so I grabbed his credit card! :woot:

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, everyone! I am pleased that I have at least inspired some of you to tackle your own stash! thanks again and good luck with your yarn! I swear it breeds! :lol:

bookkid
02-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Want to come do my yarn? HEHE Wow! I'm really impressed with how neat it looks! (and really jealous:drool: ) Very Good job

Jan in CA
02-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Fabulous! :thumbsup:

Debkcs
02-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Oh yeah, you are hooked (needled?) so bad! I'm waiting for the basket to show up next to those nifty shelves.

Before I scrolled over, I thought you were going to say that you had your teeth alphabetized. Do I ever need a new computer! :teehee:

gingergal4l8r
02-11-2008, 08:36 AM
Great Job :cheering:

GinnyG
02-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Nice job!

Koehnae
02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
:yay: Very nice. I'm feeling inspired to reorganize.

When my dear fiance and I moved, I had everything all nicely organized, but I think my yarn has been breeding when I turn my back. I have to see if I have a container store around here... otherwise I may need to claim a bedroom as a craft room. ;)

Pagan Princess
02-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Very nice!!

Mine's stuck in rayon shopping bags. I use wine gift boxes for my needles.

knit2btied
02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh to have organizational ability! A mess just sends me running for cover! You did great! I love your tote too...

Chikky
02-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow... Nifty!! I wish we had a Container Store around here; I bet I'd go nuts! Hehe.

dmknits
02-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Nice job!

marlajap
02-11-2008, 07:03 PM
As soon as I get just a little farther along in stashing (which I swore I wouldn't even do - yeesh!), I will have to get my DH to build me something similar out of MDF or something. He's offered to do so, but I just don't have enough stuff to justify it yet, and besides, I have to figure out where to put such an item.

Do you think my 19 y/o would mind sleeping in the living room so I can just have his room as my home office for work and my craft room for personal? Or maybe he could just move out? (LOL! Just kidding...my bedroom is HUGE, and so is my clothes closet. If I would just clean up all the stuff that's lying around disorganized or not being used, I could probably have plenty of room for some really smoking knitting storage. :)

bobi1218
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, that looks great!! You wanna come here and organize mine? My DH is tired of it being scattered all over our living room :)

knitmama
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, you inspired me. I finally organized my stash. There's no Container Store near me so I made do with some plastic drawers from Walmart, but at least it is all organized. I never realized I had so much.:teehee: