PDA

View Full Version : How has KNITTING changed your life?

knitpurlgurl
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Okay, besides turning me into a yarn-crazed, caffeine-junky who stays up at all hours to finish 'just one more row..' knitting has really had a profound effect on my life.

I am a work-a-holic, mother of 2 children (1 of which has Asperger's Syndrome and the other a 3 yo), wife, and budding crafter. 2 years ago, my son was having some real problems with his writing skills and his ability to focus and complete projects (little did I know that knitting isn't always the best way to COMPLETE alot of things). I read a really interesting article about art and children with disabilities. I placed my son in a pottery class and he flourished! A friend of mine told me to try knitting as a way to help him with his small motor coordination. Well.. to say the least, I was NOT a crafty mommy. I had always wanted to craft, but never had the time to. So I was on a mission to learn to knit.

So I went to my LYS and preceeded to pick up 6 or more different hanks of yarn and knitting needles. I looked absolutely clueless and the sales lady noticed and came rushing over to me. I told her my whole story and she told me to come back tomorrow with my son. I did and she helped us pick out some yarn, needles, and notions. She sat with us for 30 minutes teaching us to cast on and perform the knit stitch. We went home and knitted all afternoon. It was horrible. I couldn't believe that I teach adult women to draw blood and perform medical procedures, but I couldn't knit a scarf to save my life. I felt like a failure.

I went online and found this site. The videos helped us tremendously. That summer, we knit scarves (kinda) together. Since then, we don't knit daily due to our very hectic lifestyle. But we do sit and knit together one day a week. His handwriting was so much improved this fall, that the teachers asked me what we were doing. I have also taken more time out to craft with my kiddos. They so enjoy the creativity and the time together. And I've even learned that I don't need to be perfect to have fun. (Not true in medicine!)

So all in all, knitting has brought me and my son so much closer. It has helped him find an outlet for his frustrations (less meltdowns); improve his handwriting; and increase his self-confidence because he creates and finishes (more than I can say for myself) projects; and has helped to foster a love for art. He was never good at sports or music and felt really down about himself. Now he has this to feel good about.

What's your story?

medic777
01-24-2008, 11:54 AM
I have been knitting for about 1 year...still so much to learn...but cannot seem to keep the laundry done, DH's supper cooked, housework done....anything but KNITTING. I am addicted and it is all I really want to do. Take my knitting bag with me everywhere I go, just in case there is an extra long red light, I can get in a stitch or two :teehee: . It's my sanity right now. Yeh for KH!!:cheering: :cheering:

karebear1
01-24-2008, 12:05 PM
I taught myself to knit just a few months ago. For me, it is an awesome creative outlet but it is also my way of keeping sane and helping me with my self worth. I was diagnosed with lupus about 5 years ago. It wasn't until recently that I have experienced my first real flair up (and still going through it). There isn't much I can do some days due to the lack of energy or just being in so much pain. So I sit and knit (and crochet). I can at least feel like I have accomplished something that day...even if it just a few rows...I at least have something to show for it.

Dobek1011
01-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Knitting has helped me to find "my center". I'm not really into the whole serenity new age thing, but knitting calms me so much when I am stressed. It has really given me something to turn to, almost like a friend. It also boosts my self esteem. I have been amazed at what I have been able to accomplish with yarn and 2 needles (not ready for the multiple needle thing yet LOL!!!). I LOVE knitting and won't ever stop!!!!!!

knitpurlgurl
01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Knitting has helped me to find "my center". I'm not really into the whole serenity new age thing, but knitting calms me so much when I am stressed. It has really given me something to turn to, almost like a friend. It also boosts my self esteem. I have been amazed at what I have been able to accomplish with yarn and 2 needles (not ready for the multiple needle thing yet LOL!!!). I LOVE knitting and won't ever stop!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean. Knitting is an outlet for me as well. And it's better than Prozac. Hee-hee.

Darcia
01-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Well said Dobek1011.
Knitting also for me is my connection to my mother, grandmother, great-great grandmother, and on and on. All the women in my family I have loved and looked up to knitted. Now with all of them gone, I feel close to them when I knit. Seeing my dds 4 and 2 interested and beginning to learn to knit is an example of the connections of all generations before and those to be.

NC Girl
01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
My sentiments exactly, Darcia!

I am just now getting back into knitting. It really does make me feel closer to my mom and aunt who were avid knitters, crafters, sewers, etc. (Hmmm, those groups of words didn't sound exactly right.lol)

I try to do a little each day now so that I can feel like I've accomplished something.

CBH

The.Knitter
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
When my son was two, we lived in a house that had an apartment building next door. A woman used to sit on her balcony and knit and watch the baby play in the backyard every day in the afternoon. One day I invited her to come down for coffee and to sit in the yard to knit. I watched her carefully. The fourth time she came down I asked her to teach me, which she did. We had a LYS right on the corner of the street so I went and got some yarn and needles and started knitting that same day.

I knit two items, one was a sweater for my son and one was a hoodie (which never got finished and I have no idea where it even is these days). Life got busy, I had another baby and I put the needles away and didn't knit for a long time. When I moved to another town I met a woman who knit A LOT. I brought out the needles and made a "sweater" to teach myself how to knit again. It is horrible, the sleeves are too short and I don't like the colour, but I learned how to knit sweaters. However I was discouraged. Again the needles went away for a while when life was too busy with teenagers and work and, well, life in general.

All of a sudden I woke up one day and my DS was long gone, my DD was grown and gone and PREGNANT!! I was going to be a Gramma. I took up the needles again (9 years ago now) and have not put them down since. I made a very complicated pattern called a Teddy-All-In-One and it took me three months to finish it. I then made a matching blanket. I then made bottle warmers. I then made a teddy bear. I wrapped them all up and delivered them to her baby shower. I was totally addicted!

At first it was just one or two projects a year (usually something sizable like a blanket), but then the addiction grew and now it is more like three or four projects OTN a month.

I used to be a VERY active person. I never stopped. Then life gave me a reality check. Five years ago I got quite ill. It took the medical profession two years to find out what was wrong with me. It took another year to stabilize me with medication. I almost died twice during this process. Coming that close to death gives you a different approach to life. You become a little bit greedy and a little bit selfish and you just want more and more of the life you almost lost.

So I decided to do something fun AND useful. I knit... AND I knit... AND I knit some more. The second Christmas I was ill, I knit 10 sweaters and one baby dress as Christmas gifts for family members. I started in July and finished Christmas day as the guests were arriving.

I went from having one project on the go at a time, to three at a time during this period. I am now labelled "disabled" and I am so grateful for my knitting skills because it makes me feel somewhat useful right now, when I can't do a lot of the things I used to do. I am also labelled "addicted" because no matter where I go, I have a knitting bag with me and I am always coming up with new things to knit. I like that I can sit here with a few sticks and some yarn and make something that makes my grandchildren happy.

Knitting has taught me patience, attention to detail, endurance, determination, has given me a sense of self worth again and has given me back my sanity.

a.shin.grace
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Knitting has changed my life in that if there ever was a nuclear winter or I somehow ended up in some post-apocalyptic world where we didn't have internet and cheaply manufactured clothing, I could sustain myself and make all the things that me and my loved ones would need to survive. If I ever find myself in that situation, I know that I would have an invaluable skill that would contribute to the well being of whatever community I find myself in.

We moderns think we're sooooo smart, but how many of us could live off the land without the aid of technologies we don't understand? I'm so glad I've learn to knit. My loved ones will NEVER have to worry about keeping their head, neck, feet or hands warm. Ever. And that has changed my life.

I'm in my early 20's, so I've taken all that for granted until very recently. You don't realize when you're 12 that even just two generations ago, people lived VERY differently, worked VERY differently... and how quickly things can change and how knowing how to do for yourself can mean the difference between treading water all your life and having enough to get by.

I'm getting ready to head off to a class called Science, Mind and Philosophy, so maybe that explains the weird twinge to that post. xD

jodstr2
01-24-2008, 02:10 PM
knitting calms me and fulfills my need to have a creative outlet. I sit here at work and look forward to perhaps having an hour or so of knitting in the evening. I grew up in a musical and visual art household and was always encouraged to express myself through those mediums. for a period of over 10 years starting in my early 20s I didn't do any art as a hobby - either because of lack of money, lack of time, or depression - or all 3 combined. I didn't start knitting until I was a month shy of 34 years old, but I'm so glad I did! I love color and texture and it still amazes me that a little string can turn into something fun/useful/interesting.

Jax3303
01-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Knitting being so meditative has helped me get through a lot of stressful times. It gives me another way to express my creativity, which is also another way for me to express how much other people mean to me. It's made me snack less so it's helped me loose some weight. It keeps my fingers and wrists active and that relieves my arthritis pain.

mdog182
01-24-2008, 02:37 PM
I've always longed to be good at something crafty. I tried scrapbooking....didn't hold my attention very long. It was by coincidence, and ignorance as to the difference between knitting and crocheting, that I took up knitting. It makes me so happy to be good at something that I can make with my own hands. It gives me a sense of accomplishment and I feel like it filled a void that I had in my life.

knitgal
01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Knitting, for me, has been a huge bonding experience with my aunt. At least it started that way. I learned in school when I was younger, but no one could help me or teach me after that. My aunt and I became close when I moved to the same city for university. The summer before last she re-taught me how to knit and I've been hooked ever since. It's great because we have a common interest and it keeps us connected.
I also love that it is something that my ancestors have done for generations. My mom knits, my aunt, my grandmas and before them. My grandma was a very skilled knitter and made gorgeous and complicated fair isle sweaters. Unfortunately I never got to meet her, but I have a sweater that she made for my mom when she was pregnant.
I also love that knitting is something hands on and productive in a day and age where everything is computerized. I love that when I come home from sitting in front of a laptop I can pick up my needles and create something. Something real, tangible. And it's something not everyone can do, especially people my age.

SusanAnn
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I started picking up knitting again this November/December. I had health problems ( which are still being investigated) and just had to take it easy, so teaching myself to knit continental style ( I learnt English as a child) has given me an attainable, well mostly attainable;) creative challenge.

Knitpurlgurl, I am soo impressed that you knit with your son, and that learning to knit has helped with his handwriting. My son has autism and I never thought of teaching him to knit, you have given me a great project for us to do together this half term.:grphug:

knitpurlgurl
01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Knitpurlgurl, I am soo impressed that you knit with your son, and that learning to knit has helped with his handwriting. My son has autism and I never thought of teaching him to knit, you have given me a great project for us to do together this half term.:grphug:

Thank you. I hope you and your son enjoy it. My son is AS and 12 yo. Where on the ASD is your son and how old?

SusanAnn
01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you. I hope you and your son enjoy it. My son is AS and 12 yo. Where on the ASD is your son and how old?

My son is ten years old and his " official" diagnosis is high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. We're in the UK, so some of our termology might be different, but as far as I understand high functioning autism is pretty similar to Aspergers, but my son's consultant said that his speech delay as a small child means that he fits best into the high functioning autism category.

knitpurlgurl
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
My son is ten years old and his " official" diagnosis is high functioning autistic spectrum disorder. We're in the UK, so some of our termology might be different, but as far as I understand high functioning autism is pretty similar to Aspergers, but my son's consultant said that his speech delay as a small child means that he fits best into the high functioning autism category.

My son is a moderate Asperger's kid. He has some real social issues. No speech delays or other physical delays, fortunately. However, he is very socially impaired and we are actually pulling him out of the public school system due to the complete lack of positive socialization and constant bullying from other children. I plan to quit my teaching job after this school year and homeschool him next year. Our insurance company is not required (here in the states) to cover any diagnoses on the autism spectrum, so therapies are not easily available to us. We try whatever will work. I don't know how easily available therapies are there for you. Good luck to you. And thank God your son is high functioning. I thank God every day that my son is so high functioning. My heart goes out to parents of children who are extremely low functioning.

photolady
01-24-2008, 04:11 PM
I try to do a little each day now so that I can feel like I've accomplished something.

That's part of it. It's MY space, my accomplishment.

photolady
01-24-2008, 04:18 PM
Knitting was suggested to me, by a professional, as a way to cope with
being kept waiting while DH got ready to go somewhere with me.
I began picking up needles and knitting, instead of getting more impatient while he dawdled.
Pretty soon, he saw I wasn't interested in looking at the time, and even in being there on time, and I was more interested in finishing a row, than in seeing if he was ready to go.
Now, I like being creative, learning more advanced knitting techniques, as a challenge to my mind. I like learning about yarns, and seeing how things look, once completed.

Now that I think about it, there isn't so much waiting for DH anymore. He's gotten better, at being ready on time.

So, knitting has done whatever THAT is, for me.
What is that?

Mommy22alyns
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I can feel proud of myself for learning a new skill and doing it well. On the other side, I can look forward to learning even more - you never get "to the end" of knitting - there's always more to learn!

It plays to my love of multi-tasking. I can knit and watch baseball! I don't feel like my time has been completely wasted waiting in a doctor's office. I can take advantage of idle time while getting my hair done or riding in the car.

It relaxes me and helps me unwind, which I definitely need. I have a hard time shutting down my brain and I can occupy it with something calming and repetitive instead.

It's hard to feel down on yourself when you're in the middle of creating something beautiful from two sticks and a ball of yarn! :wink:

Plantgoddess+
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
For me knitting is an extension of the type of things I've always liked to do. I like being creative, but want what I make to be useful. I used to have a milk cow and raised hogs, chickens, calves and sold milk and eggs. I loved making cheese and butter and ice cream. At one point in time with the animals and my garden all I had to buy was sugar,flour, salt and a few other items. We live off of my "hobby". My cow died and I got into breeding horses and training them for others until my health wouldn't allow me to ride much anymore. I then started a perennial nursery and did that for about a decade until my body wouldn't tolerate the workload. Throughout knitting had been something I did when I couldn't be outside. As I have aged and damaged more of my joints, knitting has become the primary way I still create. It has darn near become an obsession since I found KH. I still am making something useful and enjoying myself at the same time.

marlajap
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
For me, knitting is partly an experience like Amber's - I am not one to sit idly and watch television or just look at the scenery on a car ride. I used to read obsessively, but I concentrate on that so deeply that I usually don't hear what's going on around me, which drives the men in my life insane! :) So, now I knit...when I'm not working or blogging or on this forum or cooking or shopping or just "Being Mom"!
You see, I have two sons, ages 12 and 19, a hubby, a bunch of pets, a couple of friends and *their* pets borrowing my spare room for various reasons, and a very busy, very high-stress job. My DH and older son both have ADD, and my younger son is just, well, 12! So, I always wind up having to be the brain in the family, in addition to the stress of my job.

So - knitting is part relaxation, part keeping me from the inanity of watching TV, and part creative outlet. And a lot of pride in producing something to keep someone warm or make them feel pretty or something.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
01-25-2008, 02:17 AM
it's brought me out of my shell.... I'm normally the one hiding away in the corner because I hate crowds and don't like talking to people (i have been dealing with an anxiety disorder).

I have some of the most interesting conversations in some of the oddest places and have even been caught on camera (Capital news 9... they showed me standing in line w/ my dh waiting for our Harry Potter book 7 knitting away on my son's sweater LOL)...

gatorjade
01-25-2008, 03:01 AM
I taught myself how to knit after a very painful breakup; I was living with my boyfriend, and after "irreconcilable differences" I moved out quite abruptly. As a poor college student (with a diet consisting of nothing but Ramen noodles and a beat-up car that always seems to be out of gas), I had to force myself to continue managing both school and work on top of moving mid-semester and handling my anguish over my failed relationship. As desperate as it sounds, I had to relearn the joys of life without having my partner there.

My new roommate (and dear friend) suggested that I find a hobby in order to regain contentment with my single life. I went to the bookstore, searched through a big book of hobby ideas and developed a "crush" on the prospect of knitting. Alas, instead of coming to terms with my singularity, I was driven into the arms of another.

My knitting and I have been together since late October, and I think we're in it for the long haul! :heart: In fact, I've already had to give up half of my closet space. :teehee:

Gertie
01-25-2008, 03:52 AM
My story isn't dramatic. Yarn/fiber therapy is truly helpful. It helps to always have a super easy project OTN at all times. Knitting is also my favorite art form.

I also have a super soft cat when I need a fur fix.

And then of course there is prayer.

KniftyKnitterGal
01-25-2008, 04:18 AM
I started both knitting and crocheting when I started college this year. I can't get enough of it. Every day I always discover something new about knitting and can't wait to learn it. Knitting is always my zen too for when I get stressed with work. Knitting is my stress reliever, and my life!
:knitting:
:woot:
~Jak

Quiltlady
01-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I've been knitting seriously now for almost 5 yrs. I really love it. It has a calming effect on me. I also enjoy buying knitting books and wonderful yarns.
I knit almost daily now. It makes me feel creative. I see a project and then I knit it to prove to myself that I can do it. Then I move on to the next thing.
Having two young grandchildren has been a big encouragement to keep on knitting.:knitting: :knitting:

knittingymnast
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
i taught myself to knit 3 months ago!! yay me!!

kimmypooh
01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
I just learned to knit this month, I thought it would be something to do sometimes. HA I'm already obsessed. We moved here in June so that my DH (who by the way found this site for me) could go back to school to become a teacher. I have some fairly serious medical problems that keep me from working, and doing all the things that I used to enjoy. I have been extremely depressed since moving because of the lack of knowing anyone or having anything to do. MY MIL actually asked me if there were any classes I wanted to take, so I took a knitting class. It has given me something to do, that gives me something to show for all the time that I sit in this house, calms me when I am anxious, gives my mind something to do (there will be lots of learning, I would think for years to come), allowed me to meet another person in this state, and I hope allows me to make beautiful things and meet some more people. My DH family lives here but they... humm well lets say are usually less than understanding.
So thank you to MIL, all of the nice knitters on the net, and to the yarn gods :happydance: and absolutely who ever runs this site (I really love those videos!):yay:

Knit4Fun
01-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Knitting is definitely changing my life in some wonderful ways...

I tend to be left-brained as a rule and so anything creative that I can do tends to balance me out nicely and it's a great calming outlet for a stressful day (being step-mom to two teenagers can give you just a wee bit of stress now and then!).

I think what attracts me most to knitting (and I don't in any way mean to not include men in this but it's focused more toward women) is that when I knit, I feel connected to not only thousands of you women now that are doing the same craft but to countless women from past generations who were knitting too. It's like a connectedness thing, I guess.

:-)

Rosemary
01-26-2008, 01:30 PM
I am 68 and "retired" from a hectic career 1.5 years ago. I left everything and moved in with my DD to take care of my then 9-year-old granddaughter.

Trying to adjust to not being in charge was difficult. Rather than end up as live-in help, I escaped to my hobbies.

I have knit for years and years, but not very well. I saw a picture of one of Alan Dart's Gnomes and just had to do one. That got me started it.

I wanted to knit all the time. It doesn't get that cold here in San Antonio and, if it does, it doesn't last long. Needing an outlet for my efforts, I found a wonderful group called BlueBonnet Babies. Most of the members crochet (it hurts my hands too much for me to do it all the time) and we make blankets, hats, booties, etc for the local hospitals and for Fort Sam Houston.

In order to meet the self-imposed requirements I bought a low-end knitting machine. I can crank out the stockingette stitch items then finish them up with handknitting or crocheting.

This Christmas I was able to knit something for everybody in the family and they actually liked them!

My DGD loves to give her friends things I have made. She isn't quite ready to start knitting yet, but I do see it coming.

tiedyedbeth
01-26-2008, 02:33 PM
I learned to cross-stitch when I was a kid, and I always wanted to knit and crochet. My mom crochets, but she never taught me.

Well, cross-stitching and kids don't mix very well. So I found this place, and figured out knitting. At first though, the kids still wanted to help me too much with knitting, so I didn't make anything at first other than a really lopsided washcloth since I didn't, at that time, quite get how to keep from accidentally increasing or decreasing. So for about a year after the washcloth I didn't knit.

I just picked it back up after last Thanksgiving, and the kids are old enough now that they leave my WIP alone.

But I haven't answered your question...what has it done for me? It gives me something productive to do, and is a good outlet for the desire to create something.

laptop_knitter
01-27-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm much the same as many of the knitters on here - I'm dealing with an anxiety disorder. Knitting keeps me centered and calm and lets me experiment with new stuff without feeling like 'everyone' will know if I fail. It gives me something to be 'good at' - with one sister who paints and dances and sings, and one who dances and acts and sings, it helps to feel I stand out within the family. It's also a connection to my grandmother, who taught me on boxing day 2005. She's passed away now, but I always think of her when I pick up the needles.

paintinggrams4450
02-02-2008, 01:20 AM
I am 57 and learned to knit as a child but never kept up with it. I would always get frustrated because I was taught on aluminum needles and would drop stitches and become so discouraged that I wouldn't pick them up again. I've always been creative bound between tole painting, cross stitch, crocheting and cake decorating but have always felt bad because I just could never get the hang of completing a knitting project. I'm an avid reader and about two years ago I started a series of books by Debbie Macomber the first one was the Shop on Blossom Street I believe and it was such a good book and they made knitting sound like such a relaxing and enjoyable hobby that I decided I was going to give it a shot again. So for the last couple years I have tried and tried again and was the hardest critic to myself and then I found this site. Watched video's over and over and managed to teach myself the continental method as I only knew the English method before and was never pleased with the tension I was getting. Since learning continental I have finally felt good about how my knitting looks and have actually looked forward to sitting and working on a project when I come home from work. Now I'm juggling 5 great hobbies lol but love each and every one of them. In the last three weeks I have made three scarfs for my daughters three kids and they all love them and won't go out without them on. Someday I hope to be able to master making them a sweater while they are still young.:knitting:

knittingymnast
02-02-2008, 11:44 AM
lol

Frogger
02-02-2008, 12:19 PM
I also find knitting a great stress reliever; especially after a long day at work, where you can finish something, but there's always more waiting to be done. Then, you come home and do a little housework, but there's always more waiting to be done.:zombie:

I love that there is an actual feeling of accomplishment at the end of a project. It's esteem-boosting, and it makes me want to do more projects. Thus we have the Circle of Life:Knitting Style!

Like Knit4Fun was saying, I also find that there is a feeling of connectedness. Meeting a fellow knitter is like running into an old friend you haven't seen in ages.:grphug:

Wanda Witch
02-02-2008, 12:53 PM
knitting calms me and fulfills my need to have a creative outlet. I sit here at work and look forward to perhaps having an hour or so of knitting in the evening. I grew up in a musical and visual art household and was always encouraged to express myself through those mediums. for a period of over 10 years starting in my early 20s I didn't do any art as a hobby - either because of lack of money, lack of time, or depression - or all 3 combined. I didn't start knitting until I was a month shy of 34 years old, but I'm so glad I did! I love color and texture and it still amazes me that a little string can turn into something fun/useful/interesting.
Gee, I have little to add as all the posts above as they all pretty much sum up how I feel about starting up knitting again, after more years than I care to remember. My only regret: I ever gave it up! Of course, the house is a lot dustier, messier, dinners more simple (thank goodness for frozen foods), but sitting quietly in MY knitting corner, in the sunlit kitchen (glass roof over part of it), I find peace and enjoyment of creating something from scratch. I have sewn, quite well if I do say so myself, for many years but knitting is just different. More calming to me anyway. Thankfully, this came back into my life and I intend, as long as I can see, move the old hands, to continue clicking away.

Sissy
02-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I tell you.......Knitting brings PEACE into my life......About a week after 9-11 happened , I really started to knit. It helped me with the pain, anger, fear, stress.........It let me escape from reality and TV and goes to a nice place for awhile......Now I am in love with it and its my special time for just ME!

knittingymnast
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I am a relatively new knitter. I took up knitting 3 months ago, and for about a month and a half, I just toyed with the yarn and needles. I found this site while playing with purposely-dropped-stitches through a Google search. I just wanted to Google, "knit", because I was obsessed. Addicted. Whatever you want to call it.

My schoolmate taught me. she taught me "wrong" and instead of the right needle in back, she puts it in front. I bought books and went online to find resources. I taught myself to purl, cable, make bobbles, and do everything. Except the knit stitch. Thank you, Bee!

After a month and a half, I got bored out my mind making ipod covers. Bleh! I never want to make short, teeny-weeny scarves and fold them over any more! I decided to look in the "Whatcha Knittin'?" section of this site. I found some interesting patterns. i got Cat Bordhi's book, "Socks Soar On Two Circular Needles" for Christmas. I was so addicted that I took it really far. I bought yarn almost once a week and never went any where without a projects. I admit it. I am a lazy, caffine-OBSESSED, addicted knitter.

This January, I realzed all the good things I could be knitting. I got DPN's and worsted weight yarn. I went to Silver's site and taught myself to knit socks. Now I am sock obsessed. I recently just decided to CO for my first sweater.

Thank you for listening to my ramble. LOL

evona
02-02-2008, 08:33 PM
I am a mother of 2 teenage children and from 1995 to 2004 was a single mother. I am not technically out of single motherdom yet, but my DBF is so wonderful and so involved with the kids lives - going to parent teacher conferences, plays, taking them back to school shopping, etc - that it feels like I'm a little less "single" :wink:

Anyway, I suffer terribly from anxiety and have been known to be way over protective. If my children didn't call me when they got home from school and I couldn't get a hold of them I would immediately assume the worse. I literally have cried myself silly believing that one of the other one was seriously injured or worse just because I couldn't get a hold of them for a few hours. What ifs were driving me nuts!!!!!

I think some of it came from guilt because I couldn't be a stay at home mom for them and I didn't provide them with a good dad. I began to realize lately that my constant worry was making me sick. I had gastrointestinal problems, chest pains, fatigue and many other issues. I also realized that being out with my DBF and freaking out about the kids was going to put a kabosh on a good thing real quick! Thank God he's a patient saint of a man . .. lol

I did 2 things to help me calm down. I bought a watch with 3 alarms. When those alarms go off I re-evaluate my emotional thermometer at that moment, stop whatever I'm doing unless its dangerous to do so and just breathe a few times. I also started knitting. Its unbelievable how much different I feel in just a short amount of time. I've been knitting since November and I'm addicted. I'm calmer, I'm healthier and I'm happier - and so are my kids and DBF. My 17 yo DD even got to go out on a date without my hovering over her beforehand and when she was 10 minutes late . . . . I didn't call her cell phone :)

wrenchwench
02-03-2008, 11:19 PM
OK after reading all the posts on this thread I have to wonder if Knitting releases something like Serotonin? I wonder because I feel the same way as many of you do in regards to relaxation.
I have both Migraines and mild OCD,(obsessive compulsive disorder). Because of this I find that repetitive actions are soothing, they are said to aid in the stimulaton of the types of chemicals that lower aggressive and anxious emotions.
Because of the OCD I cannot sit and watch TV, just can't do it. I have to have something to do, it used to be Jigsaw puzzles but I got bored with that as I can to a 1000 peice in a little more than an evening.

When I started Knitting it was not with yarn. I used to knit with wire, I made ChainMaille, yes as in armour.

See, I am a Mechanic by trade and preference so I understood wire, yarn was a mystery to me. (As are most of the female arts, I am a horrible tomboy still in my 30's) But you cannot sell/give away as many peices of armour as you might think. ;)
So I switched to yarn and have been happily dragging around a knitting bag ever since.
This has shocked many people as I never owned a purse in my life and this looks mighty similar.

Knitting has given me a shared common interest with my grandma and my mom, and gives my son and I something to do together while watching TV. He is 13 and just learning.

Jen17
02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
:tap: knitting has made me more patient! No more tapping of the foot...I just knit! I started 3 years ago this month. Next weekend I am taking a lace knitting class and can't wait! I could probably teach myself how to do it, but it is so much fun to meet with the "girls" of all ages and learn and talk. I've made friends :grphug: that I wouldn't have otherwise. We support each other in bad times and laugh in good.
Meeting knitters is funny too, you meet them everywhere. I was on the treadmill at the Y today and the girl next to me asked where I work, so we talked about that for a minutes and I said I was going home to watch a movie and knit and she said that SHE knits and what do I have on my needles?!
The other day I was trying to remember what it was I did with my time when I didn't knit! Oh yeah..house work,LOL:roflhard:

Jen:knitting:

Doodknitwit
02-04-2008, 12:20 AM
i'm more satisfied to be still....i snack less so it works as a diet too.
i'm addicted....:yay: