View Full Version : FO Paperback Book Cover in cotton

01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
So I got to thinking, those dishcloths are just about the right size to fold over and make a paperback book cover out of one. And today I did just that....

Using US #8 needles and Sugar 'n Cream in a colourway called Neptune Ombre, I CO the amount of stitches required for the dishcloth pattern I had chosen (the pictures don't show it well, but it is Cherries).

First I knit 5 rows of garter stitch, then 2-1/2 inches of stockinette stitch, then I followed with the dishcloth pattern, then I knit 2-1/2 inches of stockinette and then the 5 rows of garter stitch. Then I bound off (picture #1).

Once I was finished knitting, I took the cloth and where there were three "bumps" in between the stockinette and the dishcloth patterns, I folded it inside out there at both ends and sewed up the sides with a whip stitch, then turned it back right side out again (picture #2).

I then picked up four stitches from what I perceived the "top" of the book to be, near to where the binding of the book would be, and I knit a simple garter stitch for 9 inches to make a book mark (picture #3).

I think it worked out well. What do you think?

:woohoo: :happydance:

01-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey, that is really neat!!
You are very creative to think that up too!
I especailly love the built in book mark, very cool.

Jan in CA
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Very cool!

01-24-2008, 08:12 PM
That's so cute Christine! Cute colours too.

01-24-2008, 11:54 PM
it looks great christine

01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Cool idea!

01-25-2008, 11:03 AM
:happydance: Great idea and it looks great!!

01-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Very nice! Pretty colors too. :)

01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Very nice! Pretty colors too. :)

Thanks, it's called Neptune Ombre and it is Sugar 'n Cream cotton. I really liked it, but it does not show up the pattern all that well.

01-26-2008, 07:08 PM
You know...I was just thinking that it would be easy to knit a cover for my Bible! Now I think I will after seeing how nice that looks!