PDA

View Full Version : Knitpicks Options Sets....

sakura-panda
01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
How many do you have? Reading through some of the other threads, I've notices several people say that they have both the nickel Options and the Harmony ones.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger and ordering a set of Harmony Options (wondering if they will get to me by the time we leave for our trip on Thursday) and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and plan on getting both sets and saving myself the trouble later. :roflhard:

I'm going to try to make this a poll...

knittingymnast
01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
i would buy both to see which one i liked more
but thats just me

Lady Violet
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
you could get a pair of tips in each to see which ones you like more. i have heard it mentioned (and now have to agree now that i have experienced both) that sometimes the nickle tips are best and sometimes the harmony works better. it just depends on the project. i plan on getting the set of harmony sock dpns sometime in the near future because i like the way the wood holds onto the stitches, but the laminate allows them to be slipped off much easier than with regular bamboo needles. i really like the nickle tips for heavier yarn (like malabrigo) because they keep me from knitting way too tight. come to think of it, if you like knitting cables you might want to get the harmony cable needles. they were the first harmony needles i tried and i fell in love with them. there's no way they will fall out of my stitches because the grooves really do hold on to them. plus they're just so pretty and smooth! they're like the knitter's version of a worry stone. :thumbsup:

i have a question about your poll. by "one set" do you mean one set of tips or an entire enterchangeable set?

cristeen
01-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a single set of tips in each style. I completely agree that it depends on the project. The project I just finished I did with the harmony tips and it worked very well, but I have another project I'm doing with the options tips and I don't think the harmony tips would work well with that particular yarn.

I'll probably wind up buying the Options set, actually, and getting the larger sizes in Harmony.

AnnArrogance
01-25-2008, 09:51 PM
I just got the Harmonys (well, they haven't arrived yet, but they are IN HOUSTON. SO CLOSE!!!), but I have now discovered that I do like metal needles (got an Addi circ from a friend) for some things, so I have a feeling that I might have to go back and get the nickel at some point, too. I'm in LOVE with the cable needles, too--I got those a little while ago and think they are the best things EVER!

Jan in CA
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
I put only one, but I do have several classic circulars as well.

Silver
01-26-2008, 12:20 AM
I have two nickel sets. I just like metal better.

panchita
01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
I just have the traditional circular needles... Maybe I'll get a Harmony set at some point. They're BEAUTIFUL!! I really don't like the joins from cables to tips on the ChiaGoo bamboo sets I have. My yarn always gets stuck. Does anyone else have that issue?

Quiltlady
01-26-2008, 05:41 AM
I first used my Denise Set all the time. Then KP's came out with the beautiful Harmony Set and I now only use them. I am VERY happy with them. The metal ones never appealed to me. The wooden ones do.:yay:

GinnyG
01-26-2008, 07:14 AM
You didn't include an option for have one, want more!!!

I have one set of metal and someday hope to get the wooden.

I doubt my Denise will ever get used again, may just have to sell them!!!

mimi
01-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Options all the way.

sakura-panda
01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
i have a question about your poll. by "one set" do you mean one set of tips or an entire enterchangeable set?

You know, I don't know. :blush: I'm going to say "either", because the point is if you already have one in the size you need, do you also get the other one in the same size? Do you really need more than one?

Of course, a lot of you have several WIPs, so maybe that is the answer to my question. :doh:

As a side note, I did go ahead and order the Harmony set, as well as a 40" cable AND two #2 Harmony 24" circulars. :knitting: I figure I can always order the metal ones later if you all convince me. ;)

sakura-panda
01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
You didn't include an option for have one, want more!!!

I have one set of metal and someday hope to get the wooden.

I doubt my Denise will ever get used again, may just have to sell them!!!

:roflhard:

I reallly thought I had all my bases covered! I'll see if I can edit the poll; if not, I think you can pick the two or more option. :thumbsup:

edited to add: I can't seem to edit the poll. Sorry!

Jaxhil
01-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I only have the Options now, but I am seriously thinking of getting the Harmonies and the Harmony DPN sock set too!

I hope that will finally put my desire to buy needles to rest! :teehee:

Lisa R.
01-26-2008, 04:51 PM
I bought both (well, I wouldn't have, but the Harmonies were a Christmas gift). I wanted it because I do a lot of knitting on two circulars, and needed two of several sizes. I had planned to get another set of the original Options, but then the Harmonies came out, so I figured I'd go for both.

Lady Violet
01-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I just have the traditional circular needles... Maybe I'll get a Harmony set at some point. They're BEAUTIFUL!! I really don't like the joins from cables to tips on the ChiaGoo bamboo sets I have. My yarn always gets stuck. Does anyone else have that issue?

sometimes i knit so vigorously that my tips unscrew some (never completely) from the cables. i've just gotten used to making sure they're tight after each row/round. sometimes it bugs me a little, but i'd say it's worth it. they're just so daggone cool! :teehee:

the harmony needles are WONDERFUL. the only time i could think of that someone would not like them at all (even just for some projects) is if they were the world's fastest knitter and could not stand the thought of the slightest grab slowing them down. they are just the tiniest bit grabbier than the regular options. that's why i l:heart:ve the dpns for socks.

Lady Violet
01-26-2008, 05:01 PM
As a side note, I did go ahead and order the Harmony set, as well as a 40" cable AND two #2 Harmony 24" circulars. :knitting: I figure I can always order the metal ones later if you all convince me. ;)

that won't be too hard. :cool:

eta: i just voted that i have two or more sets. i have sz. 4-9 tips in the regular options, and a couple different size cables (not nearly enough :teehee:). i plan on getting the harmony sock set and quite possibly the regular harmony set (when i win the lottery or find out about some really rich relative who just died and left me their fortune - whichever comes first). i might even get a fixed harmony circ for lace. i don't think the interchangeable join would be too conducive to really, really skinny plied yarn. i don't even want to think about it. :shock:

yarnfreak
01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I have the Options set, and just ordered a few Harmony tips. We'll see how long until I own that set, too. lol

suecq
01-27-2008, 09:41 AM
I've used the Options on really thin (almost cobweb) yarn and there was no problem with the join.

gingerbread
01-27-2008, 11:32 AM
silly me I didn't even know that harmony made the cable needles. Wow that is going on my wish list. I always take a few dollars at tax time....:roflhard: I gotta keep up with KP for my extras from now on :shock:.
I love my options nickel set. I still have to get the larger needles to finish out the set. My my I do want the sock set, but it is a size 6" long has anyone used them yet. I have 7" needles for my sock knitting. Love them also but I find they do bend I knit a little hard...:p
So maybe go for the options nickel set ..........

Jaxhil
01-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Teri, I haven't used their sock set yet but I WANT it LOL!! I have however, used 6" needles (crystal palace) and in my opinion, they are perfect in length. The 7" are too long to me and after seeing the 5" length in person (not the harmonies, just the 5" size) I would definitely go with the 6 inchers,. The smaller ones look very easy to lose stitches off of! :teehee:

Marni
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Yikes! You guys are killing me. :pout: I wanna try the Options line of needles. I've been pretty happy with the Boye set, but oh my, what if I'm depriving myself of something really really great!

maniago
01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
I just have one pair so far, more on the way!! they are wonderful.

Ellieblue
01-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I have several prs of options tips and cables as well as fixed circs and dpn's. I usually buy them as needed and to get my order up to the min. for free shipping.

AnnArrogance
01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
My Harmonies finally came and I'm totally in love with them. I've barely been able to put them down, and am now racing to finish this one project that I'm using metal needles on because the yarn is SO sticky, even on the super-slick Harmonies, so I can pick them back up! I ADORE them! They're so warm and smooth and delicious. They make me feel happy. I had no idea what I was missing out on with bamboo!

Now I want the Options, too. I can definitely see the benefit of having both, especially with yarn like this... :inlove:

booskibabe
01-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I have one set of Options but I don't use them anymore. The join between the cable and the metal tip has broken on nearly every cable I have. It's unfortunate that they broke because they were very smooth, fast, and perfect for magic loop.

suecq
01-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Sounds like you got a bad batch of cables. If you let customer service at Knit Picks know they will send new ones and you do not have to return the bad ones.

booskibabe
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I did that once already, and while the customer service was great, those cables also broke. I think maybe it's how I knit.:shrug:

jdee
01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I have both sets. I got the nickle set for my Birthday, the year they came out, and DH let me order the harmony wood tips for Christmas this year. I LOVE them both, but I use the wood more. Of course that might be because they're still new to me.

Jens
01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
I have both. If you want speed get the nickel they are really fast verra verra nice. The wood is very pretty. They are slippery but not like the nickel. I agree it is very very nice to have both sets.
Jen

kellyh57
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
I did that once already, and while the customer service was great, those cables also broke. I think maybe it's how I knit.:shrug:

Yeah, mine broke too. I broke 3 of the 4 within 2 weeks. I was within my 30 days, so I sent them back and got my money back. I thought it was just me too, but really, they shouldn't break that easily. I was crying the 2nd time it broke in my sweater and I had to put all those stitches back on and realign them. I think they've gotten sloppy with them to keep up with demand. They are nice, but it's so sad that they can't take the extra 2 seconds and a drop of glue to make them stay together. I'd call and see if they'd give you your money back. It really isn't worth it to have them laying around unused. Or see if someone on here would like to buy them from you.

Kelly

sakura-panda
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
You all are so much fun! I love hearing how people love the tools they work with. :yay:

I am a little concerned about the breaking cables; I really hope that I get a "good batch." At least from reading this board I know that it is a "known" issue and that it is worthwhile to send them back in for replacement. :thumbsup:

Sanibelle
01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I got the Kitpicks Harmony set about 2 weeks ago and I love them. I am making a sweater right now on them. The sweater is knit all in one piece and at one point I had to put the sleeves on a holder and it was so so convenient putting them on the cables and then using the caps. The tips are as smooth as glass and they are a pleasure to knit with.

Plantgoddess+
01-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Finally I got my Harmonys and yarn. The first package KP sent didn't show up after 2 weeks, so they sent it again. Last night when I got my mail both packages were there. I went through and checked all the needles and cables and found one #6 needle that the ferrule was crooked on and formed a lip where it screwed on and one 24" cable that had some scrapes and was rough.
I called KP to let them know that the lost package showed up and asked about sending the extra back.
Upshot is that they offered me the other 4 skeins of yarn at a 20% discount ($6.57) and told me to take the #6 needles and the package of 24" cables to replace the problem ones out of the other box. She asked if I also wanted the 2nd Harmony kit at 20% off. I was tempted but resisted so am just waiting for a return mail label.
Now if only it would quit snowing so I could spend some time playing with my new tools.

sakura-panda
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
What terrific customer service! I'm glad your needles finally arrived. :happydance:

I checked my own tracking and I expect my package to be waiting for me when I get home from work either tomorrow or Thursday. We're leaving for a two night trip Thursday night, so I should have them for my trip. :yay:

starburst
01-29-2008, 11:46 PM
I got two sets of fixed nickel circs and one of them broke the first day. I was tightening a ladder and POP! off the needle came. I emailed customer service and they said that they were sending a new one, but I haven't heard from them in over a week :S

GinnyG
01-30-2008, 08:25 AM
:waah: I had my first cable seperation today.........I was at the end of a 240 cast on and all of a sudden the cable came out of the connecter.

I am sooooooooooooo bummed. I thought I had finally found the perfect needle.

iza
01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
:pout: I'm sorry Ginny... that's annoying!

It's so sad they have so many issues with the cables. I just can't convince myself to spend 60$ (+ 9$ of shipping, + duty... no free shipping for us in Canada) on something that will likely break. :wall: :shrug:

boo1
01-30-2008, 12:40 PM
I just prefer my Addis. And after all the negative stories I've heard, I'll keep reaching for the Addis first. Options are just a back-up at this point that I'm thinking of selling anyway.

:)

GinnyG
01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Yea, I'm pretty bummed. I now have a compelte set of Denise (including all the extra cables) and a set of Options with extra cables and I'm thinking I should just go back to my old standy Addis:gah:

Doublereeder2
01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Oops, I read this wrong. I have relaly only one set of Options, but I do have extra tips in my most popular sizes. So may I put in my vote for 1 1/2?

Koehnae
02-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I first used my Denise Set all the time. Then KP's came out with the beautiful Harmony Set and I now only use them. I am VERY happy with them. The metal ones never appealed to me. The wooden ones do.:yay:

This is my story, too. I loved the convenience of my Denise set, but the Harmony needles can't be beat. They just suit my knitting style better than any other needles in my collection... not to mention they are beautiful. When I'm out and about, I actually get as many compliments on my needles as I do my projects!

I can't offer much opinion on the nickel. I can't use metal needles because of a skin condition. (Blisters and knitting :oo: )

sakura-panda
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I got my needles on Thursday -- I had to go to the post office for them because they didn't deliver them and we were going to be out of town on Friday. The woman behind the counter was nice enough to go look for my package even though it had just arrived that morning and hadn't been sorted through yet. I was so happy when she came out with them!

They knit like a dream -- I had no idea knitting could be so smooth! I was so excited that I went ahead and moved both of my WIPs onto them and they work fantastically on both the acrylic and wool yarns. I've moved from "hobby" knitter to obsessing when will be the next time I can pick it up again. :)

Thanks for all the responses everyone! At the moment, I think I'm going to stick with the wooden ones (and not get any nickel) although I can see myself probably buying more tips and cables in the future. :blush:

shortnsweetly
02-07-2008, 09:22 PM
I love my knit picks options needles. I'm having a bit of trouble though. Every so often, my needle tips are unscrewing and detaching. Is anyone else having this problem?