PDA

View Full Version : Any Sock KAL 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

dustinac
01-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Welcome to Any Sock KAL 2!!

If you enjoy knitting socks or would like to learn how, then feel free to join in. We love to chat about socks, knitting, and everyday things. You will find tips here as we’ll as links for buying the gorgeous sock yarns that are out there now.

This KAL was started as Any Sock KAL (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62407), but due to the large number of posts in that thread, we have decided to start this one (and lock the other thread).

Please join us in knitting those addicting things we call socks…:happydance:

birdwomn
01-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok, I know people will vary on this and some of you will like dpns best. But, I am trying to get an idea of what I want to try next. Also, what length needles for 2 circulars if doing 2 socks at the same time?

dustinac
01-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi birdwomn, I've only tried 2 circs one time...and I had one that was 24" and one that was 16" (cause Knit picks doesn't have a 20")...that way it was easy for me tell needle 1 apart from needle 2...

I really like using magic loop and use a 24" cable for that...sometimes I still find myself drawn to the dpns :teehee:

fibrenut
01-27-2008, 05:37 PM
:clink: WOOHOOOO!!!! I b here:thumbsup:

How kewl is that that we need to start a "chapter 2" of the sock knitting adventure we all so love!!!
Hiya bird,
Welcome to "chapter 2"
I would use any size that accomodates your stitches and still have some for your "goat udders" cat bordhi reference, you had to be there!!:noway:

G J
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi BirdWmn,
I'm actually knitting 2 socks using Magic Loop on a 32" Options. It works, but longer might be easier. I prefer ML to 2 circs cuz with 2 circs I kept picking up the wrong needle to knit with. :wall: Can't do that with ML.:)

The.Knitter
01-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi:

I am doing my very first ever pair of sox. For my first time trying knitting in the round, I am making a pair of tube sox. This will get me the practice I need for knitting in the round and then the next pair I knit will have a heel and gusset. I am almost finished the ribbing and will soon start into the stockinette stitch.

Thanks for letting me join!

jberry16
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Welcome Bird! I have to say I like the ml method best w/a 32" options. My whole reason is so I dont loose needles-w/3 little ones & all. I tried 2 circs, didnt like...& occasionally I go back to my dpn.
Welcome The.Knitter!
Dustina: way to go with chapter 2!
Well I took a break from dh's socks and went to Target with Caitlin & used a giftcard from Christmas and got a Bumbo chair for her. I'm excited because its the first/only thing that's hers and not a hand me down from the other two and she seems to like it & I'm sure she'll like it with the more head controll she gets and once she can really play with toys she'll love to sit in it. Besides this spring/summer when we're outside planting stuff I'll want her to have something to sit in so she's not eating dirt. Though the Irish saying goes something like-you have to eat a lb of dirt before you die. Ok back to sock knitting. It's dark and cold and windy outside-good day to curl up on the couch/chair with a movie and kids and knit. happy knitting.

G J
01-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Ooh, I just had to share a new podcast I found. It's grammar girl (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/default.aspx). (Okay, so I'm a geek.) It's not at all dry and boring like you might think. It's quick and dirty grammar/writing tips that can make me sound smarter! :whistle: It's worth trying, right!?!:aww:

1to1
01-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi Socksters,

My tip for new sock knitters is to check out Silver's Sock Tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm).

I have tried Magic Loop doing two socks at once using both 32" and 40" and two-24" circs. I like doing toe-up the best using the Figure 8 Cast On (http://www.purlwise.com/2004/06/figure_8_cast_o.html) and EZ Sewn Bind Off (http://www.woolywonder.com/classpages/sewncastoff/sewncastoff.htm). Notice I didn't mention Double Pointed Needles DPNs...never tried them except to make icords.

Please feel free to ask any questions and leave any comments. This is a great group and if we don't know the answer someone will try to find it for you.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite sock method?

Sock on, :waving:
Carla

Jackie Lim
01-27-2008, 08:32 PM
wow, see how fast we r moving...

G J
01-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Welcome, The.Knitter! Glad to have you here!:hug: What method for circular knitting are you using?

Lieke
01-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Thanks all for your nice comments on my socks in chapter one. Also noted in chapter one: my dyeing adventure. Well, I've been untangling for 2 days now (total of 6 hours I guess) and I've got about 60 gram done, so only 40 to go. The other 2 skeins are almost dry and look really how I wanted them. I can't wait to knit with one of them, but I think the tangled yarn will be first. After so much work, I'm really comitted to it.

dustinac
01-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Good Morning Socksters!! :happydance:

The.Knitter~That's great!! I can't wait to see your tube socks...before you know it you will be addicted to socks just like the rest of us :thumbsup:

Tami~Chapter 2 :cool:

Julie~ :rofl: pound of dirt :rofl: ...I'm hoping the smaller size will fit me better of her patterns...I usually CO around 56 sts...

Gina~Thanks I'll have to give them a listen :thumbsup:

Carla~how is all your kal knitting doing :teehee:

Jackie~ How are you guys doing?

Lieke~:passedout: no way could I do that...I can't wait to see what you make from it!!

QOTD: MY favorite sock method is...prolly still dpns and cuff down...I do like a short row heel...and I do enjoy magic loop as well but there is still a strange hold my dpns have over me :teehee:

Well I worked on my mom's socks last night while enjoying a Hallmark movie and I'm to the toe :woohoo: ...I can mark them off my to finish list hopefully this afternoon...then I can start a mitten or a glove...I need to CO for a Cookie sock so I can get on in another KAL drawing :teehee: ...might do twinkle toes in a heavy weight...

I gotta do my usually Monday cleaning before I can but I hope you all have a good day of sock knitting!! :yay:

jberry16
01-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Lieke: You sure do have a mess to untangle-good luck. What kind of yarn was that that you're dying? It's pretty. I'm really curious to see how it knits up into socks, as I'm sure you are too.

Dustina: I watched the Hallmark movie too-what a tear jerker?!

Jacob is still not getting better, his cough is wet now-not a dry croupy cough & every afternoon for the last 8 days he has had a fever, not to mention reg cold symptoms. So as soon as it's 8am I'm calling the dr. office to get him a same day appt today. sigh. Probably wont get much knitting done today-o well.
happy knitting all!

JamOKnit
01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Phew! Made it to the new thread! :)
I have only done one sock at a time so far on DPNs although I would LOVE to learn 2 socks at once since I am an instant gratification kind of girl. :)

I finished sock 1 in the KP Felici Hummingbird last night and hope to CO for the second one tonight. Will try to get a pic up also.

1to1
01-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Morning Socksters,

Birdwomn, There really isn’t much difference between using 2 – 24” circs versus doing Magic Loop on a 40” circ. With the 2 – 24” you have more needles hanging around and you have the costs of buying 2 pairs, the ML you’re just pulling the needles more.

The.Knitter, how’s the sox coming along?

Julie, I really like your new do. You are such a cutie!!! Hope the docs can help little Jacob. I just picked up a scratchy throat and cough…I hardly ever get sick. I think its this crazy weather. Today it is suppose to be 60’s last week it was teens.

Gina, there is a brand new podcast called “Knit Together”. They are two Christian women from Springfield, Missouri. I really enjoyed their first three episodes. I downloaded a bunch of podcasts this weekend and will go through and weed out the ones I don’t like. Yup, there are several…either the sound is bad, boring, or not enough knitting/crocheting info. There are plenty to listen to without having to listen to those.

Jackie, I have to quit going to your blog…I always seem to crave pannycakes.:mmm:

Lieke, you are much more patient than me…but the colors are fun.

Dustina, the Hemlock Ring is coming along nicely. I didn’t get to knit much this weekend…none on my poms. What mitten pattern are you going to use?

JamOknit, can’t wait to see pics.

Hoping to work on my hemlock this afternoon. Now that I got my name and blog changed. I finally just put a link from the old blog to my new one temporarily. I’ve joined some KAL with the old link. I tried to notify everyone that I could think of…not that there is actually anyone that has bookmarked my blog. What a pain!

Sock on,:waving:
Carla

rorygilmore
01-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Here they are! The first pair I've finished since Oct! The pattern is from Favorite Socks, Its the Retro Rib pattern. The yarn is Tofustsies, I don't know which colorway it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/aands81/IMG_2589.jpg

fibrenut
01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Dustina,
I know exactly what the deal-io is with them dpn's. It's that seductive clickety-snick, going round n round dizzily, until we are totally mesmerized!!!:zombie:
:passedout: LOL!!!

jberry16
01-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks Carla! Hope you get better soon.

Alex, nice socks!

Well we just got back from the doc. and she doesn't know what's going on with him. She said it's not an infection she can see, like ear or sinus or strep so she ordered amoxicillian and we'll try that. She said that if he gets the fever again today and tomorrow afternoon for me to call her back, she'll be in tomorrow afternoon and then she's gonna order blood work &/or x-rays. sigh. I'm praying that it's fixed with the antibiotics. He hasn't been on any in so long that I couldn't remember the last time he was on any, or Bailey for that matter. I do have to rant about Walgreens though...grrrrrrrrrrrrr. The doc faxed the perscription over, then we left and got gas-30-40 min later we got to Walgreens and they still hadn't pulled it off the fax machine and there wasn't anyone in line inside, a few at the drive up but hello?! Anyway she put me as a waiter and said it'd be 30 minutes to fill it-I"m not dragging 3 kids inside and didn't want to have to come home and unbundle them and then bundle them all back up again-I'm a little annoyed. Anyway it's been 35 min now so I'm gonna bundle everyone back up and get everyone buckled up again and venture out into the terribley windy day. 35-45mph gusting to 50-yuck!

jberry16
01-28-2008, 01:47 PM
I think so fibrenut! about the dpn, I agree they're seductive.

fibrenut
01-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I just thought of another reason why we sometimes prefer dpn's over cirx.
I know it's gonna sound kinda creepy but heck it makes total sense....
You know how we hold the needles in our hands when we are working it? Well I was thinking, it sorta feels like it's "alive" or something, you know, you can feel it moving with each stitch in the palm of your hand. Almost like you were creating a new life, kinda sorta thing...thing...!
Hmmmmmm....perhaps something to ponder huh?:think:

jberry16
01-28-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!! Part of Sockamania (http://sockamania.blogspot.com/)!
You may just be right, Tami...never thought of it that way.

This may sound wierd, but I know lots of you are cat lovers & I want a kitty (not a kitten) but I dont want to get one until maybe Christmas time, that way Caitlin is not so dependent on me. What do you all think? What's the best age (for kids) to get a cat? What age cat should I get? I wanna adopt one, that's been fixed and declawed and that's good with little kids. Anything else I should think of?

dustinac
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
:woot: I finished mom's socks!! I'll get picts in a bit...

Julie~ yes, I cried I don't know how many times during that movie last night!! Prayers for Jacob and your family!! I'd be annoyed to...that's crazy...we are suppose to get a Walgreens in May...I'm excited cause I've never been inside of one :teehee: ...ohh I think a cat would be great...you can often adopt kittens that are 6mos and have been fixed (in OH they fix them at 5mos)...I have adopted grown cats before that were still considered young and if they hadn't been around kids or anything then it didn't work as well...the younger the cat is the better it will adopt to the kids and the noises...we now have Gideon and Bella who we had from kitten age and they just follow the kids around...Isaiah is their favorite cause he does something to their ears that just puts them right off to sleep lol... :woot: for Sockamania!!

JamOKnit~ Can't wait to see photos :yay:

Carla~I'm hoping to the yarn for the hemlock this weekend at the yarn shop...:happydance: yay for 50% off...I'm finishing up the left bird in hand that I never did do :rofl: ...

Alex~Those are cute!! I love the color :happydance:

Tami~ :rofl: I think your right :rofl:

okey dokey, I'm waiting for dh to get back from his run...he just walked back out the door...then I'll start some dinner when he gets back:blooby:

1to1
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi again,

Julie, its funny to see some of the same socks being submitted for your KAL and my SAM5. I guess if there are prizes people will enter.

You know, we go to ShopKo and I don't care when your prescription is ordered you are going to wait 1/2 hr. When you're sick or you have little ones sick you don't want to have to WAIT. Our Medical Group used to have a pharmacy in the clinic and it was so convenient...but they closed.

Dustina, YAY for going to get the Hemlock yarn and another YAY for 50% off!

Alex, that is the same yarn I'm using for my POMs. I love the crocheted blanket in the background. Did you make it?

I have our knit together at the library tonight. Hope to get a couple rounds done on my Hemlock.

Have a relaxing night!
Carla

jberry16
01-28-2008, 09:03 PM
O Carla I envy you, getting a knit night-I will plan on that, maybe later this summer when Caitlin's not so dependent on me.

Thanks Dustina for the kitty advice. I just have to get Dh to agree to one...that should be fun. Of course I could always tell him we 'found' a cat when we were out and I couldn't just leave it on the road. not sure if he'd buy that story? Kinda like the George Strait song, ocean front property (in Arizona). lol ok we'll I'll keep thinking about it. Not gonna do anything soon though, really want Bailey more potty trained than she is, it's hard enough running her to the potty while nursing Caitlin. O the fun we SAHMs have. :)

G J
01-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Socksters,
Sounds like a bunch of you have yucky stuff. Hope y'all (and your younguns) are feeling better soon! I also hate Walgreens and CVS! They take FOREVER!!!! I usually try to call my refills in at least 2 days in advance, and they STILL don't have them ready. I don't go there unless they have a coupon for $30 gift card if you transfer a prescription. I much prefer Target, Sam's club, HEB or Kroger.

So did y'all know you could use the end of a paint brush or a coffee stirrer for a cable needle?:thumbsup: I was up to the cables on my socks today and had no needle. For the first round, I was at a student's house and spied a paintbrush on the counter. Worked fine. Then I was at the Chiropractor and had no needle but was ready for the second round of twists. Spied the coffee stirrer and tried it. A little floppy, but it worked!

DH is out of town with the digital camera, so I can't show pics. Enough knitting today anyway. Gotta take care of the hands!

Sock on!

rorygilmore
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Alex, that is the same yarn I'm using for my POMs. I love the crocheted blanket in the background. Did you make it?

Nope, I didn't. My Grandmother did, a long time ago. I can't crochet to save my life.

fibrenut
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
GIRLS!!! and dude...
I think I may have found our elusive elastic castoff for toe up sox. Uh huh yep yep yep!!! It's called Russian Bind Off (or Icelandic, same concept actually).

It entails that you k the first st, place it back on the needle and k or p the next st through the first st, slip those off the left needle, place the loop back on the left needle and repeat across, either purling or knitting the next stitch as it presents itself.

This makes a very nice stretchy bind off. Something us toe uppers have been looking for!!!:figureditout:

Jackie Lim
01-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Hi Socksters,

I have request to join in the Sockamania. Hope to be able to complete a pair of sock per month. I ave not venture out of the dpns sock knit and cuff-down, maybe (jus maybe) hope to try other method.

Carla - Pancakes are very easy to make, i m using the Muffin Mix available in most of the major Supermarket here. They are simply yummy.

Julie - Hope Jacob is feeling better now.

Alex - Nice socks.

Dustina - As usual, busy with the CNY preparations, baking cookies, and baking too.

Lieke
01-29-2008, 01:50 AM
Rorygilmore, I love your socks.

As for my tangled yarn, it's flotte socke baumwolle, which is 75 % cotton and 25 % polyamid. I didn't have time to untangle yesterday, and I won't have time the next couple of days, but if I finish my moms socks, I can start on this yarn, because it's 2 50 gram balls and I've already got 1 untangled.

tangle2007
01-29-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi, I'm new (post #2!). Last week, I was talked into trying to knit socks, and I now have the pattern ("Socks for the Family" by Michele Wyman), yarn (Toasty Toes by Interlacements) and what looks like way too many little needles. I'm sure I'll be needing help, so once I get started, probably tomorrow night, I'll be checking in!

dustinac
01-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Good Morning Socksters!! :blooby:

tangle2007~:woot: Welcome to the KAL!! I have that pattern and it's wonderful...really helps you with different yarns and sizes...if you need help just holler :thumbsup:

Carla~I hope you enjoyed your knit together!! I don't feel as guilty buying new yarn when it's on sale :teehee:

Gina~ :woohoo: way to go in finding a cable needle!! You can use straws too if your ever at McDonald's playground and need one :oo:

Tami~Thanks for the new tip...I'm not much of a toe up sock knitter but one reason why is cause of getting that cuff bo right... :thumbsup:

Lieke~It's going to be really pretty...I hope you can work on your mom's socks soon and then start yours! :happydance:

Jackie~:woot: for sockamania!!! Remeber to take time for yourself!!

Julie~I'm thinking of making the kids hedgehogs for Valentines Day...I'm going to dye Isaiah's cause his favorite color is lime green...did you have to hold two strands of worsted together? :think: ....I'm glad to be passed the stage of walking around with spit up on me and not remebering if I had a shower or not...dh is prolly glad too :rofl: ...I attract strays...to the point that dh has wondered does she pretend they are strays??? but I don't...I just put food out and let whatever cat that finds it come and stay if they want...of course only Gideon and Bella are inside the house but we have a few outside...that I have named...even if they won't let me pet them...plus they are good for field mice...so that helps win dh over too...living out in the woods in an old farm house with a field on one side we need cats... :teehee:

Ok I still don't have picts of mom's socks :teehee: ...I also got the bag dotty made for me...so will take picts sometime hopfully today... I love the bag...dotty did such a great job on it...Roo has already tried to take it :rofl:

:yay: I hope you all have a great day of knitting...I gotta go find which Cookie A pattern I want to start...cast on get a photo before Friday...:oo:

jberry16
01-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Dustina: We have a huge orange tabby stray that used to live in our juniper bushes, he/she kills birds and leaves them in the grass for the kids to find when they play.:ick:
:woot: for hedgehogs, I only had one strand ww for mine & they felted great! I used that fishermans wool-bought 2 or 3 skeins and sat up one night and unraveled them all and measured out what the pattern calls for for each piece & for my mil's purse and then dyed them all seperatly with kool-aid. It took a while, but was the cheapest way to do it. And I bought them at JoAnns fabric-used a cupon from the paper and made out like a bandit! I found the funfur @ Michaels & it was on clearance for $1.00 a skein! Can't wait to see them, they are so much fun to make, be sure you have a row counter though. :aww:

Jacob seems to be doing better :happydance: his temp this morning was 98.8! I'll keep an eye on him though -a close eye. I hope to get dh's 1st sock done (at least to where I think the toe dec should start) today and maybe start on #2, but I am gonna put them aside once the sockamania pattern comes out b/c I want a pair of socks for me!
you said something about CookieA's pattern, what's that for-said you have to co by Fri? Did I miss something.

off to knit! well maybe we should have breakfast first. :teehee:

:knitting: Dotty, where are you? :shrug:

Welcome to our Tangle2007! you should think about trying Silver's tutorial (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm). I know lots of people here learned from her tuts.

G J
01-29-2008, 12:09 PM
I second that about Silver's tutorial. :cheering: My first sock was her two-at-once toe-up tutorial. She says not to do it if you haven't knit socks before, but it's easy peasy! It took some practice to get the heel right, but I got it!

1to1
01-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Morning Socksters,

While I was reading through the posts, I noticed that Dotty has been here lately. I know its been warmer here so I doubt that is keeping her from her computer room. Oh Dotty, how are you????

Alex, I think crocheting is much easier than knitting. If your grandma is still around I'd definitely have her show you. My grandma crocheted, tatted and was very crafty...I remember crocheting chains with her but that was it. I do have a few of her hooks and it means so much more to me now. I have memories of her sitting in her rocking chair and she was always working on something...oh how I wish I had her rocker. I'm sure she'd be proud to see my DD knitting and crocheting.

Julie and Dustina, my knit night was spent knitting a round then trying to figure out what I did wrong. When I got home I tink and then did it with no problem. I'm glad I went though since it was just me and my LYS owner. Don't know where everyone was.

Girls, just know that once your little ones are a little older you won't feel guilty about going out for me time. DD usually goes with me but she has been so tired and I talked her into staying home to go to be early. She was still up reading until after 10 pm

tangle2007, Welcome to the group and ask away!

Leike, how your tangled yarn coming along?

Gina, how's it going?

Tami, that sounds like the EZ Sewn Bind Off except you are using a needle. I'll have to try the Russian and see if it is any easier.

Sock on,
Carla

PS I joined the She-Knit Secret Swap...my first one ever.

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Welcome, The.Knitter! Glad to have you here!:hug: What method for circular knitting are you using?

At this point in time I am using cheap metal DPN's because I was not sure if I could knit in the round, so I did not want to expend a lot of money on supplies until I knew I could make it work. I think when I go to get needles I will get the Harmony DPN set, eventually. There are six sizes of needles, with six needles to each size. Sounds good to me!

I had a busy week last week, finishing up the projects for my MIL, FIL and SIL. The shawl is now finished and I am thrilled with it. So is my MIL. She wore it all day yesterday and only took it off because she was going to bed! I didn't get a lot of sock knitting done last week, but I intend to make up for it this week. I am finished the 2" of ribbing and have done another 3" of stockinette stitch on sock #1.

I LOVE knitting in the round. I am thoroughly enjoying this new addiction. Once I figured out how I was most comfortable holding the needles I was off to the races. I am turning into a Knitphomaniac!

Thanks for the welcome!
:hug:

Abbily
01-29-2008, 04:04 PM
I am turning into a Knitphomaniac!

Oh my gosh, I love that! :)

I am (STILL) working on sock one of my first pair of socks... why, oh why, did I pick such a fiddly pattern?! It's Mirabella (link in my sig) and it's beautiful, but holy cow all those tiny little one-stitch cables and stuff.... I keep having to switch to other projects for a while for a break. And I get such little knitting time as it is...

Anyway, hope I can join the sockiness! :)

dustinac
01-29-2008, 04:34 PM
:woot: Welcome Abbily to the KAL!! I have done that before...my first colorwork was on size 0s and socks!! That was just not thinking...:teehee:

Julie~:rofl: eek...my kids find the brought in moles and want to bury them...Thanks for the info on the hedge hogs!! :happydance:

oh the cookie sock that is for a KAL on ravelry...you have 2 mos to complete the sock to be entered into the drawing...but only the first month to cast on...so I gotta cast on if I want to be entered :teehee:

Carla~That's how the civil war shawl is... I work a round that now takes an hour to complete...it won't come out right...tink...and then magic next time I have an hour to work on it...it works out :shrug:

The.Knitter~ I really like the harmony dpns...I wish they were 5" though...:yay: for working on finishing up some projects...that is what I'm trying to do right now... I got a little carried away earlier this month :oo:

yeah...no pictures yet lol...it's a dreary rainy day here today...yesterday it was bright and sunny... I should have took them but I thought today was suppose to be pretty too...:teehee:

tangle2007
01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Thank you for the welcomes, dustinac, jberry and 1to1! I'm excited to get started (checking in from work right now, shhhh) I will definitely check out the recommended tutorial.

dustinac
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
tangle don't worry we won't tell anyone that you are browsing here at work :teehee:

I have Pictures...I love that Isaiah can take pictures for me now and it makes him feel like a big helper...which means I have to find something for Roo to do so she can be a helper too...

Snowflake Socks by Chrissy Gardiner
Telemark in Navy and Creme
Size 2 Magic Loop
CO~ 12/30/07
BO~ 1/27/08 :oo:
I'm wearing my pair...so you can see I did knit 2 pairs lol...while Roo is wearing my mom's...which is why the toes look so weird...there is nothing in them :teehee:

Now I want to make one more pair for the fair...should I stick with blue and white...or change it up some? I want to change it up but wonder if the judges would like the blue/white combo better...:shrug:
You can see my Elvis bag filled from dotty here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/?saved=1)(flickr)

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
You can see my Elvis bag filled from dotty here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9073403@N06/?saved=1)(flickr)

That is one really sweet knitting bag with all those cases and pouches and pockets. It looks kind of like a back pack. Really great idea! My favourite colour too, RED! Can Dot adopt me???

BTW your sox are fantastic. You did a great job on them.

:hug:

jberry16
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Yes Dotty is pretty awesome!

Well so much for knitting today, Jacob's fever is back-day 10. :(
So talkted to his doc and she had us go in for blood work, nose culture and chest x-rays. Good news is that the xrays are clear, not sure about the other yet...just a waiting game for now. Said she'd call me with the blood test results asap, and i'm not sure how long it takes them to culture snot. He seems to be feeling better though-and did AWESOME getting his blood drawn, barely a whimper, pretty dog gone good for a 3 year old. Thanks for all the prayers and hopefully we'll find something I'd really like an answer to why he's had a fever for 10 days. I'll post as soon as I know something.

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
I sure hope they find out what is wrong. Poor little mannie, it's so rough when they don't feel well and can't tell you why.... Hugs to you my friend!

Yes Dotty is pretty awesome!

Well so much for knitting today, Jacob's fever is back-day 10. :(
So talkted to his doc and she had us go in for blood work, nose culture and chest x-rays. Good news is that the xrays are clear, not sure about the other yet...just a waiting game for now. Said she'd call me with the blood test results asap, and i'm not sure how long it takes them to culture snot. He seems to be feeling better though-and did AWESOME getting his blood drawn, barely a whimper, pretty dog gone good for a 3 year old. Thanks for all the prayers and hopefully we'll find something I'd really like an answer to why he's had a fever for 10 days. I'll post as soon as I know something.

SteveDallas
01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
WOW!! A new thread & five pages already! I can't keep up!! Things have been a real zoo lately, especially work... but I just had to drop by to leave a picture of my sock in progress. Did you ever get a book (I've done this with cookbooks and origami books) and see one thing in it, and immediately think, "OK, I just have to make that!!" Well that was my immediate reaction to the Cable Clock Socks in Getting Started Knitting Socks. I'm about halfway through the leg. It seems way too small, though I know all the ribbing and cables are tightening it up.

http://kbarger314.smugmug.com/photos/248934793-XL.jpg

Lieke
01-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Dustina, your snowflakesocks are absolutely stunning.

SteveDallas, I love your cabled sock. It's really pretty.

As for me, I've hardly been at home the last few days. Only to sleep and check KH quickly before I have to leave to internship, so my yarn is the same tangled mess as it was. The other 2 skeins look good, I'll take pics as soon as I find the time. As for my moms socks, I'm working on the ribbing now, so I'm almost done. I guess I'll need a few more traintrips to finish them.

tangle2007
01-30-2008, 02:43 AM
Dustinac, those snowflake socks are amazing. An inspiration!

SteveDallas, I love the cables. I wanted to pick a cable pattern for my first pair of socks, but decided it was probably too much for me this time around.

So, tonight I tried to start making a toddler-size sock, with the seeded rib leg ribbing, from the "socks for the family" book. I think I'm finally getting the hang of working with 4 needles, but I'm not convinced I'm handling the yarn right when switching between needles. I ended up ripping it apart since only 1/3 of the "tube" had the expected ribbed pattern. I can go by the knitting shop tomorrow while my daughters are at dance to see what I'm doing wrong.

jberry, 10 days?! I hope they figure this out soon and your son recovers quickly!

Jackie Lim
01-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Hi to our new friends, welcome aboard.

Julie - how's Jacob is OK today. poor boy!

dotty - we miss you. Common common out..........

Steve - that cable sock is great, nice colour too.

Dustinac - very lovely mother/daughter pair of sock.

dustinac
01-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Good Morning Socksters!!:blooby:

The.Knitter~ain't it neat...she did a great job...:yay:

Julie~ :hug: Prayers for Jacob and your family...I hope he feels better soon :hug:

SteveDallas~ :happydance: Looks great!! One thing about using cable needles you wouldn't have any trouble trying it on right now to make sure it fits ok...with dpns you could but would have to move the sts to a holder ...

Lieke~ Remeber to stop and take a minute for yourself!! :hug:

tangle~ :happydance: YAY for getting the dpns down...sorry to read that you had frog back but with their help I'm sure you will be finishing that sock soon :thumbsup:

Jackie~ A new cartoon is suppose to start I think tomorrow... I'm not sure...Roo has been waiting for a month...it's a new little cartoon about Chinese New Year...I keep forgetting to mention that! :teehee:

Well we woke up late this morning...the wind kept me up last night...and for some reason dh had trouble leaving me with covers and room enough move or do anything...so I kept waking up cause of the wind, being froze, or clinging to the side of the bed...while he was out like a light :rofl: ...so I hit snooze a bit to long this morning...and sent us all into a tail spin...usually by now my house is together except running the sweeper...this morning only our room is back together...it's really starting to drive me crazy too :oo:

I'm hoping to work on my mitten today...have decided not to try and CO for a Cookie sock...will just wait for Feb and CO to a Eunny sock...or a sock that does something different on the heel :teehee:

I hope you all have a great day of knitting!! :happydance:

The.Knitter
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
OK so I have to ask, just what is a Cookie Sock? I keep seeing it mentioned but have never actually seen one.....

dustinac
01-30-2008, 10:15 AM
OK so I have to ask, just what is a Cookie Sock? I keep seeing it mentioned but have never actually seen one.....

:doh: I'm sorry..I should have linked that... Cookie A (http://www.knitanon.com/blog/). is a great sock designer...she has a couple of free patterns on Knitty and here (http://www.cookiea.com/)is her pattern website...The first link takes you to her blog and you can see her different patterns...:happydance:

1to1
01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Morning Socksters,

Dotty, We miss you!!

Steve, I really like the cabled ribbed...looks nice!

Dustina, I froze last night too...yesterday temp dropped from 60 to 7 with -7 wind chill. I wished you lived by me so that you could show me how to make those beautiful socks. I like the blue ones but red or green would be nice too.

tangle, you're brazer than me using dpn.

Lieke, its always nice to hear from you!!

Julie, there is so much different flus, colds, icky, icky stuff going around.

Knitter, Cookie has some wonderful patterns with several that are free.

Jackie, what's new?

I really need to pull out my Poms. The Hemlock has been giving me some problems.

Sock on,
Carla

jberry16
01-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Well as of now Jacob seems better-however as of 12:30 last night Bailey was coughing the croup cough and her fever started last night at 5pm it was 102.2. The doc got some of the results back yesterday and those were neg for whatever she had him tested on and the rest will be back today. She has been so sweet and caring and told me last night that if I needed anything to call her this morning 'cause she'd be in the office. Well I did, called her at 8am (as soon as they opened) and told her that Bailey had the croup cough and a fever and that I had a huge favor to ask her and that was that because we're so financially straped if there was any way she could wave our $20.00 copay and see Bailey today and she said yes. So I thanked her and off we went. She confirmed that she does have croup and I asked for the steroid shot instead of the syrup b/c it's nasty tasting and I dont think she'd take it. So they did that & then just before we left I thanked her again, and she said, "this is the last time." Ok so what'd she mean by that? this is the last time we'll be in for this illness? I could wish that was it, but by the tone of her voice I think she meant this was the last time she's gonna wave the copay. I'm already an emotional mess, she didn'thave to say that. If she didn't want to wave it then she could have said no when I asked her this am on the phone. This isn't the first time she's made me think twice about using her. Guess I'll find another pediatrician now-sigh. I'm so tired and upset-I just keep crying. I really need a nap and someone who cares about my kids and my feelings too. ok sorry that had nothing to do about knitting. As far as knitting goes I haven't done anything since yesterday 2 rounds. I'm worn out. My kids are never sick-and we only go to the doc for well child checks and we have a copay then, and have never asked anyone to wave the copay. I'm so angry. Any advice, moms?

fibrenut
01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
OOO jberry, hun, I know exactly how ya feel, been there done that, still have the credit score to prove it.LOL
Here's a GREAT BIG MONDO cyber HUG fer ya hun. Just remember, (saved my sanity many a time) this too shall pass!\
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

The.Knitter
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
OK, so I am an inch away from having to decide if I make a "real" sock or a "tube" sock. I am at 7" from the cast on edge. I knit two inches of 2x2 ribbing and now I am knitting my 6" of stockinette stitch (not ribbing because I prefer a sock that is not ribbed down to the heel). I am wondering if this will change the way I proceed with the tutorial if I do decide to make "real" socks???

I am still considering both options and have one more inch of knitting before I have to decide.

Feedback anyone???????

Abbily
01-30-2008, 04:17 PM
What are the 'pros' to skipping the heel? I'd go ahead and do the heel just for the practice. It's really quite easy, you just have to trust the pattern and keep going, even though it seems very weird until you're done. :) Go for it!

The.Knitter
01-30-2008, 04:38 PM
I am kind of leaning that way right now. I'll see what happens when I finish this last inch.

I haven't done my inch yet because, *gasps* shock of shocks, the DH sometimes expects me to clean house instead of knitting (silly man). I had to clean out the fridge because tonight is garbage night and I swear that I found a few science experiments hidden in the back corners.

OK I am done cleaning and going back to my inch and then I will decide from there, however, I think I am going to make "real" socks. We shall see....

dustinac
01-30-2008, 04:48 PM
:hug: Julie :hug: ...I don't know how to take what she said either...I would have prolly been stunned at the dr office and then mad as a hornet by the time I got home...Hopefully she meant with the sickness...esp since you haven't asked her before...I think you need an afternoon to yourself...window shopping, driving around, or just getting out...with the kids being sick and it being cold...you just haven't had time for yourself...if I was closer I'd come and get you...tell dh that Sat. afternoon is yours and have fun :thumbsup: ...I hope you get to knit today...if it was warm this weekend you could just go sit at the park and knit for a bit...that would help...

The.Knitter~ I'd give the heel a try...it's not hard at all just follow the pattern step by step...I've made dh's socks with the ribbing for the cuff and then just St st for the rest and it's very boring :teehee: ...that is why I will knit a pattern sock or a sock with k1, p1 all the way down...some think they might be uncomfy in a shoe...I did when I first started knitting socks...but I don't find them to be at all...you don't even pay attention to that...

G J
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh, Julie,:hug:
I would shrug it off (or at least tell myself I should. Actually doing it is harder.) She was WONDERFUL with the kids, didn't require payment and was a big help. Be thankful for that, and blow off the rest. What she meant, we can't know without reading her mind. If she's a good doctor, keep her! She went out of her way to waive the copay. That's a good thing. She surely won't be able to do that all the time, and that's understandable. :hug:

Hope the kiddos are better soon!

The.Knitter
01-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Alright... the decision has been made. My DH is siding with you people. He says "You know you want to, and with it being your first sock you will kick yourself if you don't make a proper sock. You will always wonder if you could have done it. So, just do it. Listen to them and just do it!"

It looks like I am going to "JUST DO IT". I am sitting here with Silver's tutorial in front of me, eight inches on the needles and a heel just waiting to happen. REAL socks, here I come!

Thanks for the "little" push in the right direction ladies!

jberry16
01-30-2008, 07:33 PM
yay!!!!!!!! u can do it! we're here if you get stuck.

Jackie Lim
01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
morning ladies,

Julie - poor mummy ! I do understand the suitation. Pls bear with it, and the nasty bugs will go off. I agree with Gina, if she is good, keep her, if not, check around wif frens and make a change.

I too, sometimes needs time to myself...hv nothing in mind, go shopping, sitting in Starbucks watiching the world goes round (of course with my fav coffee on hand). Jus do nothing....

Dustina - pls check with Roo what's the cartoon name, tks.

Dotty - Are u playing hide n seek with us ?? Miss u !

Carla - We baked our first Chiffon Cake yesterday. Taste nice and look good.

The Knitter - I have never try kniting a sock without the heel, hmm....must try! Love to see yours once done.

The.Knitter
01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
The Knitter - I have never try kniting a sock without the heel, hmm....must try! Love to see yours once done.

It's called a Tube Sock and you just put 2" of ribbing at the top, then knit until your piece measures 14" and then start your toe decrease. You don't even have to do a kitchener stitch as they recommend that you decrease down to five stitches and then thread the yarn through those stitches and tie off. Very simple. However, for this time, I am doing a REAL sock. Perhaps another time I will make tube socks.

I will post a picture when this sock is finished for you though, even though it's a REAL sock.

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Progress report: OK, you guys talked me into this. I knit my heel flap. I turned my heel. I picked up my stitches. It's all good! I distributed them as directed. So far so good. THEN I COUNTED THEM (also as directed). So, I have 25 stitches on needle #1, 32 stitches on needle #2 and 26 stitches on needle #3. Now what? I have one too many stitches. I do NOT want to visit the frog pond. Can't I just K2tog on needle #3 on that first row, or something similar that will then give me the right number of stitches?

H E L P!!!!!

I was so pleased that I was going to shape the gusset, come in and brag and you'd all be proud of me because I did it with no whining, screaming, crying or throwing it across the room. I didn't whine, scream, cry or throw it across the room, but here I am begging a solution for the fact that I obviously cannot count to sixteen when picking up stitches....

TIA

fibrenut
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Hmmmmm, sounds like you missed a decrease there somewhere. o well. schtuff happens ya know. Yeah I would just k2tog in some inconspicuous place to even out the count. No on knows but you n us friends here n I don't think we are gonna go n tell anyone!!! LOL:aww: :whistle: :twisted: O no, just kidding. :roflhard:

Lieke
01-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Well, here it is, my other two dyed yarns.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2232630214_38b48a23c3_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2022/2232630276_a8ec1fdfc0_m.jpg

I'm almost done with untangling the bad yarn, and my moms socks are almost finished as well. Just have to weave in the ends and they are done. Pics of the socks will follow soon!

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 05:36 AM
You did a beautiful job of dying that yarn. I especially like the all blue one. It is simply gorgeous. Nice work!!! I look forward to seeing the pic of your Mom's sox.

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 06:01 AM
And now for my good news! I have a GUSSET (hmmm that sounds kind of like saying I have a goyter, or perhaps some kind of social disease)! I started this evening knitting a REAL sock instead of a tube sock. I am now at the stage of the sock where I have finished ribbing the top, knitting the leg, knitting the heel flap, turning the heel, picking up the stitches, putting the stitches back on three needles, knitting the gusset decreases and I am now knitting the foot section of the sock. I am almost there!!! Sock #1 will make it's grand entrance some time later today or tomorrow morning at the latest. And YES I will post a picture.

But for now... I pulled an "all-nighter" knitting this sock (what my DH calls a "Power Knit") and I think I should go get some sleep.

Later.......

dustinac
01-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Good Morning Socksters :blooby:

Lieke~ Very pretty!!!

The.Knitter~ :woot: YAY for a gusset!!! Yep sometimes that happens...I've done that before if for some reason they want the heel turn to end with odd # of sts...and I just do a K2tog..usually where the center of the heel would be...

Jackie~ It will air here on Feb. 7th at 11am the show is Ni Hao, Kai-lan...and it will also be teaching the kids Chinese...which I find cool...cause Roo has learned some spanish from Dora...and then she has learned some Chinese from Sagwa too...Then I have worked with them both on ASL...:happydance:

Carla~ how are the potawhatever socks coming :teehee: ...I read in the paper that yarn is just going to be 25% off...oh well still a bit cheaper...and I was just going to get Galaway...they just won't get a big sale from me :rofl:

My wrist is killing me this morning...for some reason that mitten on magic loop is really hurting me...I don't remeber the first being like this...I might have to change to dpns and see if that helps some...

I hope you all have a great day of knitting!! :blooby:

jberry16
01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Take a break Dustina. I still have to break-since I moved the kids furnature a month ago, sometimes all I have to do is set the bottle of Ranch dressing down and it kills my wrist for the rest of the night. How's your dh?

The.Knitter: Well are you well rested? I'm so proud that you've done the hard part of your first sock! Sorry I wasn't on her to give you an answer but I have sick kiddos-glad Fibrenut was able to answer you soon. No matter what the question there' s always someone on here to answer it, or lead you to an answer.

Jackie, just a few more days!!!

Dotty...if you're reading, we're missing you, & even if you're not we still miss your colorful posts. & I don't know about the others but we'd sure like to see your valentine socks...

Jacob didn't have a fever yesterday!!!!!!! However Bailey was very craby and whiny~I don't do well with whiny kids-makes me want a big :clink: Thank God everyone slept last night, I feel much rested today!
Someone has been reading my blog & wants to buy my hedgehogs...anyone have any idea what you'd sell them for? Or if you were intereseted in buying them, what would you pay for them? I'd charge the cost of supplies and then my time...any ideas? tia.
Dh is home today (day off) so I hope to get some knitting done on his sock so I'm ready for the sockamania sock ~ wonder if the pattern will be sent out tomorrow? I'm so anxious!

G J
01-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Oooh, Dustina, take a BREAK!!! Pain means you've gone too far. Stop immediately or you'll be like me: All trussed up in splints and able to knit only occasionally!

Julie, hope ALL the kids are healthy today!

The.Knitter, CONGRATULATIONS!

Leike, I like your yarn. PRETTY PRETTY!:woohoo:

SteveDallas, Nice cables! I'm putting just two cables in my Worsted socks.

fibrenut
01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
I know it might already be too late to mention this for some of us, but, don't forget to stretch before you start knitting for the day. Get them muscles all ready to go n stuff.
A couple of good ones is to splay your fingers like you are trying to grab a basketball on your desk and gently push down. Another good one is to hold one arm out and hold your hand up at a right angle to your arm (if you can manage that, if not just as far as you can comfortably go) then take your other hand and grab your fingers of the outstretched hand and gently pull back, count to 5 and release, now put the outstretched hand down and gently pull back on it, count to 5 and release, do that for both sides. Now gently shake out your hands and forearms and you should be ready to knit.:thumbsup:
O yeah and you should take breaks at the most every 20 minutes, more often if your hands are getting sore.

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks! Is this in direct response to my "all nighter" sock knitting spree last night? If so,thanks for the info. I might need it again when I cast on for the second sock, once this one is finished of course.

I know it might already be too late to mention this for some of us, but, don't forget to stretch before you start knitting for the day. Get them muscles all ready to go n stuff.
A couple of good ones is to splay your fingers like you are trying to grab a basketball on your desk and gently push down. Another good one is to hold one arm out and hold your hand up at a right angle to your arm (if you can manage that, if not just as far as you can comfortably go) then take your other hand and grab your fingers of the outstretched hand and gently pull back, count to 5 and release, now put the outstretched hand down and gently pull back on it, count to 5 and release, do that for both sides. Now gently shake out your hands and forearms and you should be ready to knit.:thumbsup:
O yeah and you should take breaks at the most every 20 minutes, more often if your hands are getting sore.

dustinac
01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
:hug: Thanks everyone...the pain eased up this morning while I was grocery shoppping and all that fun stuff...but once I sat back down here and went to use my mouse :wall: ...I don't have my computer set up ver well...the mouse is waaaaaay over there...might have to change it up a bit...

Julie~ I'm not sure how much...I've never sold anything already made knitting wise...when I sold my pillows...we took the cost and my hrs and timed it by something...I'll have to ask mom she figured it up for me :rofl: ...

I got the fun fur today so when I can knit I'll be ready to start their hedge hogs... I could dye Isaiah's yarn today...think Lime green koolaid will give me lime green yarn :shrug: ...to me the answer should be why of course...but I've come to realize with dying you just never know...:teehee:

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 03:13 PM
Dustinac:

Set it up so that your mouse is right beside your computer where you can easily reach it. Put something under the back of your keyboard so that it is tipped up a bit in the back. Get yourself one of those jel mouse pads that has a pad where your hand would rest on it. Get yourself a jel wrist support for in front of the keyboard. These things should help a bit (I hope). Good luck Hon!

fibrenut
01-31-2008, 03:14 PM
Hiya knitter,
No hun, it's just a response for future reference for all of us knitphomaniacs (hehehe). Just like any other continuous motion we need to do all we can to avoid injury. What with the aches n pains as of late. LOL
When I was the foreman for a trim crew, we did those stretching exercises every morning, no exception, and we never once had anyone get carpal tunnel. :thumbsup:

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 03:21 PM
In that case I shall copy and paste this into a document and print it out to use every morning. Thanks so much for caring enough to post this! I would hate to have anything stand in the way of my knitphomania.....

Hiya knitter,
No hun, it's just a response for future reference for all of us knitphomaniacs (hehehe). Just like any other continuous motion we need to do all we can to avoid injury. What with the aches n pains as of late. LOL
When I was the foreman for a trim crew, we did those stretching exercises every morning, no exception, and we never once had anyone get carpal tunnel. :thumbsup:

tangle2007
01-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Leike--that's gorgeous! So cool that you have died it yourself.

jberry--so happy that everyone slept well! Sounds like hopefully you are past the worst of this bout of illness. I agree with the others that if you are otherwise happy with the pediatrician, keep her--I am jealous that you were able to get in at the last minute like that--I have never had such good service from my pediatricians.

I have figured out the dpns! I finally have my first sock underway. Not much yet--but I was so excited just to know I had it started right that I put a couple of pictures at my blog (link below). Now I should be ok until I get to the foot.

The.Knitter
01-31-2008, 04:02 PM
I have figured out the dpns! I finally have my first sock underway. Not much yet--but I was so excited just to know I had it started right that I put a couple of pictures at my blog (link below). Now I should be ok until I get to the foot.

Congrats of figuring out the dpn's. They are not nearly as intimidating as I always felt they would be. Don't worry about the "foot" part of your sock. Use Silver's tutorial. I started my heel last night and already I am half way done the foot. It's so easy and her instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Just knit one row at a time and don't panic. If I can do it, so can you!!! Good luck!

dustinac
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
:woohoo: tangle they are looking good!!! :yay:

Julie~ I was upstairs moving the kids rooms around and remebered you asked how my dh was :teehee: ...he is doing good...he has cut out most caffeine only has it now and then...he is an ice tea drinker but I make it decaffinated now for him...he hasn't had to drive in much bad weather since the last spell...he has started training again for an upcoming 1/2 marathon in April...as far as I know he hasn't had anymore spells :woot: and he promised to let me know...

G J
01-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I finally got DH's digital camera to take pictures:

dustinac
01-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Gina~ :yay: they look great!!

dustinac
01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm making a seprate post for this...I just read (http://www.limenviolet.com/blog/?p=2165)about Momma Monkey's passing...She was the lady behind the website Socktopia (which then moved to ravelry)...she had some great free patterns out there and our own dotty (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dottycam/1339913194/in/set-72157594397200980/)made a gorgeous pair of Kaylee Socks...I lurked basically on the Socktopia site...and joined the ravelry site but after she had already become sick...I have had several of her patterns on my to do list but haven't made them...I'm thinking now would be a perfect time to make my first pair of Momma Monkey socks...from what I understand She was in the middle of changing her patterns around to ravelry and again from what I understand they are now trying to get them all finished and added...you can see most of her patterns here (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/monkey-toes/patterns)(ravelry link)...(:hug: prayers to her family and friends)

cinnamon_girl
01-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi Sock Knitters!
It's so great to see this thread continuing though I'm going to have as hard a time keeping up with Any Sock KAL2 as I did with #1, lol. I'm going to try to keep up with the reading but probably won't be able to post daily. I do enjoy seeing what everyone is working on. Lot's of neat socks in progress and yarn too. :yay:

I'm trying to get back into regular sock knitting after taking a little detour into hats. I finally settled on a pattern for my Louet Wild Cherry yarn.... and (drum roll please) it's the Monkey! I can't believe I waited so long to knit some Monkeys. I'm really enjoying the pattern, I'm doing the no-purl version and they go pretty fast.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello and share my Monkey sock in progress.

Happy Knitting :knitting:

dustinac
01-31-2008, 09:25 PM
:woot: YAY Suzy!! Those are sooo pretty...I love that colorway :inlove:

Jackie Lim
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi there,

Julie - r u feeling good today ? U r a step in making $$ thru your hobby. Isnt it wonderful. I m not sure how much either. Besides the cost price, pls do not forget to add in the labour cost too.

dustina - hope u r feeling better today. that cartoon is not showing here. Jayne loves Dora, Sawaga too. She learns some simple Spanish words from Dora. I think that is a good show for kids.

Suzy - that's lovely sock.

Lieke -i love the red one.

Tami - tks for the workout.

Carla - that is a Convention Oven.

Theknitter - nice going...

jberry16
02-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice and listending to my rants. Things are going better today. I got a break! Dh has the day off and so I took Caitlin with me (of course) and we went to the dmv and the credit union and then to my Grandmothers house and then my mom got off work early so I got to visit with her for about 5hours tonight and that was much needed! I am down to the toe decreases on dhs' sock #1 and hope to finish tomorrow. Didn't htink the bank would take so long, or I'd taken it in there. It only took 1/2 hour at the dmv. go figure. So sorry to hear about the Socktopia lady, how sad. I'm so glad tomorrow is Feb 1, I cannot wait for the sockamania pattern-I'm so excited. night night...it's 10Pm here and I'm turning into a pumpkin.

Lieke
02-01-2008, 03:16 AM
GJ, your socks look really great. I love cables.

cinammon_girl, your monkey looks great. I really love the color.

dustinac
02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
:happydance: Good Morning Socksters...it's Friday :woot:

Jackie~ Thank you...it is feeling better today...aww I wish they were showing it over there too...I wonder why? maybe they will later on? Right now I think I read they have 20 episodes...

Julie~ :hug: so glad you got to get out yesterday for a bit and visit with your mom...:woohoo: on dh's socks!! I've never gotten the sockamania sock on the first :teehee: ...Dec it was the 3rd and last month it was the 2nd...it depends on the e-mail more than anything...so many of us have joined that hotmail won't let her send any more e-mails for a 24-hr period...:rofl:

Nothing much going on here...the kids are on a 2 hr delay...not much snow but rain and ice...icky slicky mess...

I hope you guys have a great day of knitting :blooby:

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 09:54 AM
So, now I can tell the SECRET! I've had a secret since I joined this KAL. I would not say anything until I made sure things were going to work out before I disclosed my secret.

When I CO for the sock, I cast on the largest size. This size probably would not have fit me and I knew that from the beginning... why you ask? Because I was planning on DH getting the first pair of socks I ever knit as a Valentine's gift on our first Valentines together as a married couple. We got married last April. Now that the socks are working out well and there actually will be real socks at the end of this experiment, I can say that these were planned for my DH all along. I will make a pair for myself with Cascade Fixation once these are finished. Mine, of course, will be RED! His are knit in a colourway called Seashore.

I was able to keep my secret until last night when I had to measure his foot. That gave my secret away. It could not be helped because I needed to measure. I am using DK weight yarn, so I guess I am making DH sport sox.

I am 5-1/2" into the foot of the sock, so I am hoping to have it finished today.

It's snowing here today so I will take this whole day to knit and knit and then knit some more! To those sharing the snow day with me, Happy Knitting!

Lisa1216
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Morning everyone! Just wondering if I can jump in and join this KAL! I recently finished 2 pairs of socks using a cotton/bamboo blend that I loved working with. No pics yet, but will get them in over the weekend. I am now working on a pair for my DD who is at college. I have been trying to find a heavier weight yarn for a warmer pair of socks for her to wear with boots or around the dorm. My problem has been finding something that is machine washable and dryable. I'm sure she won't want to hand wash wool yarns. Anyone have any suggestions? The acrylic yarns I have tried really didn't work well. They seemed to stretch out to much and the socks became too big.
Thanks for your help:)

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
I have two words for you. Cascade Fixation!

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 10:20 AM
can I join in on this KAL? I started my Jaywalker on Sunday (I think it was Sunday).

I'm a KAL virgin :oops: , are there any rules etc. that I need to know about?

Lisa1216
02-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I have two words for you. Cascade Fixation!

I just looked this up and the Cascade site says it is hand wash/dry flat. Thanks for info though. The colors looks great. I may try it for a pair for myself.
Has anyone tried Cascade 220 Superwash?

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Sorry, I thought it was machine wash. My bad!

dustinac
02-01-2008, 10:36 AM
:woot: Welcome Lisa and Jodi to the KAL...no rules or anything feel free to join in on the chatter...just have fun :woohoo:

Lisa~You might be able to find a superwash in a worsted...ohh wait last time I was at my LYS we were talking about this...cause my dad wanted 100% wool thick socks...so I made him a pair and now he doesn't wear them cause of having to remeber not to throw them in the washer...anywho they were telling me I could use Encore Knitting Worsted Weight...it has 75% Acrylic and 25% Wool...they told me that was enough wool to make the socks comfy enough for him to wear and not make his feet sweaty :thumbsup: ...also Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com/worsted+weight+knitting+yarn_YL30010106.html)has a Swish Worsted that is 100% Superwash Merino Wool...and a bare that you could dye..

Jodi~Those are looking good!! I love the colors :thumbsup:

The.Knitter~ :yay: YAY on the surprise!!

jberry16
02-01-2008, 10:54 AM
:hug: Welcome!!!! No rules (as Dustina said) just lots of chatter and knitting (socks, mostly). :woohoo:

Love the look of the Jaywalkers.:happydance:

What about Lion Brand wool ease? It's washable, & available at JoAnns, Michaels & Hobby Lobby. :shrug:

Totally cool surprise/secret! How much fun.:woot:

:knitting: I hope to finish dh's sock #1 today, should be able to since there's only the toe to do...but I also have to clean the house and get it ready-we may have his brother & wife over for superbowl. Kinda leaving it up to them since Bailey stil had a fever yesterday afternoon...
:waving: ttfn

Lisa1216
02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Sorry, I thought it was machine wash. My bad!
No problem!:thumbsup:

Dusinta~Thanks for the suggestion and the welcome! The Swish worsted looks good, and they have some colors that I think my DD will like. Thanks!

Lisa1216
02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
:hug: Welcome!!!! No rules (as Dustina said) just lots of chatter and knitting (socks, mostly). :woohoo:

What about Lion Brand wool ease? It's washable, & available at JoAnns, Michaels & Hobby Lobby. :shrug:

Thank you... I never thought about checking out the Lion brand yarns. I'll have to swing into Michaels this weekend.

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
:aww: :hug: thank you for the welcomes and the compliments! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing about everyone sockventures! :woohoo: :)

Lieke
02-01-2008, 12:01 PM
You can machinewash cascade fixations. I do it all the time. I've never done handwashing on my socks and I've got 2 pair with cascade fixations atm.

jodstr2, your jaywalker looks really pretty!

tangle2007
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I was planning on DH getting the first pair of socks I ever knit as a Valentine's gift on our first Valentines together as a married couple. We got married last April. Now that the socks are working out well and there actually will be real socks at the end of this experiment, I can say that these were planned for my DH all along. I will make a pair for myself with Cascade Fixation once these are finished. Mine, of course, will be RED! His are knit in a colourway called Seashore.

That is so sweet! What a great idea for Valentine's day.

tangle2007
02-01-2008, 12:08 PM
jodstr2 & cinnamon_girl; your socks look beautiful! I've got to get moving. I only got about 1 more inch done last night--my knitting on these 3.5 needles is painfully slow. I have a hard time maintaining my tension, which wasn't a problem at all with the bulky yarn and huge needles I used on my first two projects. Maybe I should make my first pair of sock a Christmas stocking, instead of a toddler sock!

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 02:33 PM
thank you Lieke and tangle :heart:

I didn't knit last night 'cuz I was farting around on Facebook :zombie:. fer shure I'm knitting this afternoon after a nap (I'm working 0530-1330 today). I'm a really slow knitter - it's ambitious of me to think I can finish this sock this weekend. but I'd like to! :eyes:

cinnamon_girl
02-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Well, I went and bought some yarn today, I was off work to take my Mom for a routine doctor visit and well... just happened to find myself in the yarn store. After all, it's not often that I'm home before 6pm and they close early most nights. So I went in and now I'll be juggling a new scarf in addition to my socks and other projects. Might not be having a finished pair real soon but the yarn is so pretty though!

Lisa1216... if you're still looking for washable wool. I used Moda Dea, a washable wool I found at AC Moore for socks. It's worsted weight so suited for around the house (or dorm) socks. I really liked it, very soft and squishy.

jodstr2... beautiful jaywalker's!! I love those colors.

Hope everyone else is doing well and getting those socks done.

Happy Knitting :knitting:

jberry16
02-01-2008, 04:13 PM
o Cinnamon girl: can't wait to see how that yarn knits up to be pretty socks...so when you gonna cast on?

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow cinnamon_girl, that is lovely yarn. It will make bee-oooo-ti-ful sox IMHO.

cinnamon_girl
02-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks ladies!
It is pretty but it's worsted weight and destined to become a scarf so I'll probably put my monkey sock on hold until I finish the scarf. I'm using size 10.5 us so it should go fast. It's cold here in Philly and I'm a bit short on wearbale scarves right now. :wink:

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 04:43 PM
:inlove: REALLY pretty cinnamongirl...so shiny, and those melty-sherbet colors! :inlove: I'm looking forward to seeing your socks!!!

1to1
02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi Socksters,

Just wanted to pop in and say welcome to all the new people. Love all the great socks!

I really must work on the Pomatomus instead of the Hemlock this weekend. Maybe 5 rnds on the Pom and 5 rnds on the Hemlock.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. How about a SuperBowl Sockathon...work on your socks during the game? :thumbsup:

Sock on,
Carla

Abbily
02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
The.Knitter, what a great surprise! Sounds like you're doing great!

I just bought size 2 40" circ from knitpicks, I'm going to try to switch my mirabella sock onto it and see if I can do it ML. I just taught myself ML to do some armwarmers for my best friend, and I LOVE it! The darn dpns get in my way on this pattern. I have tiny 1-stitch cables, and they're always right after/before a needle switch, which means the end of the previous/next needle is in my way... I don't know why I can't do them on ML, hopefully I'm right! :) What, you mean most people don't switch needles/techniques in the middle of their first sock? :)

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 05:37 PM
I have 1/2" left on the foot of the first sock and then the toe decreases and the grafting. Then it will be done. I was aiming for finishing it today, but my guilt trips over laundry and cleaning and dishes got to me, so I did that first. Now that I am finished, I am going back to my beloved's sock and hope that no one disturbs me until it is finished!!! I think he is really going to like these socks (I hope). They will keep his feet lovely and warm.

OMG I am sooooooo addicted to this new adventure! I wonder if I need knitting intervention? The neighbour upstairs was just telling me there is a person who lives one street over that knits all the time. I told the neighbour to tell this woman to come over and bring her knitting. I would love to have someone to knit with. I sit here day after day all alone, knitting. I've tried to find knitting groups, but they are all pretty far away. I hope this woman shows up. It would be really nice for me, and for her as well I hope!

Abbily: I hope your ML experiment goes well for you.

knitgal
02-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Can I join? I saw the KAL from before, but I didn't want to join partway in. I'm on my second pair of socks and I think I'm addicted too. They're just so satisfying.

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
C'mon in, everyone is welcome! Bring your knitting bag, your dpn's, your sock yarn, your nice warm drink and have a seat. Remember to check your chair before you sit down in case there is a sock on it, or worse yet, a dpn. Now THAT would hurt!

What are you working on Ann? I'm doing Silver's Sock Tutorial.....

knitgal
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm using "Just yer basic sock pattern" that I found on Ravelry. So far so good. I'm right at the toe decreases and it's a little different than my last pair. My last pair said to end with 7 stitches on each needle and so 14 on the two for the grafting. This one says 4- so it's a little more pointy.
I'm using Austermann Step- it has jojoba oil and aloe in it- the DBF is spoiled!

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Ahhh so you are doing the same thing as me? I am making my first ever pair of sox for my DH for Valentine's Day. What better way to show him I love him than to spend a week on one sock, and a week on another? At least he knows where I am when I am knitting him sox, and that means I am not at the LYS spending his money (YET) LOL!

Yours sound nice. Is that a free pattern? Do you have a link for it? Would you consider sharing that link if you do have one?

knitgal
02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
It's free- just look on my Ravelry and you'll see the pattern.
What sock yarn are you using since you're allergic to wool? The DBF's sister is allergic to wool too and eventually I want to make her a pair.

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
For this pair I am using Bernat Satin Sport in a colourway called Seashore, but for the next pair (which are to be for me I am told) I am going to buy some Cascade Fixation if I can find a nice red colourway. I am using US #3 dpn's. They are about the thickness of a sport sock, if you understand what I mean.

The Cascade Fixation has a bit of elastic in it, so it will keep the socks up where you put them once you have them on. I was told it was machine washable, but then someone in here told me it was not, and then someone else told me it was again. I am hoping it is washable, even if I have to lay flat to dry.

Good luck finding something she will like. Try Mary Maxim, they have a ton of sock yarns and are bound to have something hypoallergenic (I hope, because that is where I shall end up too).

knitgal
02-01-2008, 06:30 PM
I heard good things about Cascade Fixation too- apparently it's one of Ann Budd's favourite sock yarns and you know I like anyone with the name Ann!
I read about one called "On your toes Bamboo". I've also heard about Panda Cotton, but I'm not sure how well that one wears.
I checked their website and it says that their yarn is available at Len's Mill Store here in Brantford, so I'll check next time I go.

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Hmmm a bamboo sock yarn! That sounds interesting. I didn't know you had a Len's Mill in Brantford. I thought there was only one in Cambridge (Hespeler). I am on the hunt now to see if I can find the Cascade Fixation anywhere near here. Good luck with your hunt too!

dustinac
02-01-2008, 08:58 PM
:blooby: Good Evening Socksters!!

tangle~You will get more used to them as you go and your tension will even out :thumbsup:

Jodi~I hope you get to knit this weekend...I'm hoping I can too :teehee:

Carla~ A sockathon sounds like fun :happydance: ...

Abbily~You shouldn't have any problem at all :thumbsup:

The.Knitter~ I hope she stops by...that would be neat :happydance:

Knitgal~ :woot: Welcome to the KAL!! :woot:

I've used Panada's cotton before and it's sooo soft to knit with... I gave them away though so I'm not sure how it wears... I have more to make me a pair...and then mom just bought 1 skein so she gave it to me when she realized she needed 2...I'm going to try and get Roo a pair out of it...

Julie~ Did you get your pattern today? I read where she sent the first half out...I should get mine tomorrow...someone has posted a preview of the Feb sock on Socakamania (http://sockamania.blogspot.com/)and it's cute...perfect for Feb...:yay:

No knitting for me today...hopefully tomorrow I can...I was hoping to have the mittens done to wear to the sale on Sunday...not gonna happen now :rofl:

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 09:00 PM
I am half way done the decreasing for the toes. Update in a coouple of hour or so, when I finish and can post a picture!

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 09:36 PM
go The.Knitter go The.Knitter go The.Knitter go!!! :woohoo:

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 09:41 PM
http://kbarger314.smugmug.com/photos/248934793-XL.jpg

that's really cool! I love the little cables!!! :cheering:

jberry16
02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
I finished Dh's sock today! & co 4 #2!!!
No Dustina I didnt get my pattern :o( maybe tomorrow- I hope! I'm ready...

Welcome new socksters & I'm all about knitting during the game!

jodstr2
02-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Dustina, those snowflake socks rock! :cheering: I've yet to venture into 2 color knitting... I'm intimidated by it :oo:

G J
02-01-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm using Primo from Filatura Crosa for socks. It's superwash (line or dry flat) worsted. It's onsale here (http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/2807/).
Get the grab bag and make contrasting heels, toes and cuffs. Super cheap!

LGM
02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
I am so excited to find a thread focused on socks - my new passion. At the suggestion of a cousin I got Getting started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd and jumped in knitting. My previous experience many years ago was learning the knit and purl stitch - end of story. I just found KnittingHelp yesterday and this is my first post after spending so much time on the site I haven't gotten much knitting done!
I loved your socks Steve and got my book out to find that pattern - it is earmarked for my next pair.
I am using 5 DPN and love them. I get so motivated when I get to the end of each needle it keeps me moving along, just one more needle. What fun!!
I keep hearing the term colourway. Is that a term that indicates yarn with a variety of colors?

The.Knitter
02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I finished my sock. I ACTUALLY FINISHED THE SOCK AND IT LOOKS LIKE ... A SOCK!!!

Ok, so here are a few pictures of DH test driving his new sock. I let him wear the sock just long enough to take pictures and make sure that it fits him.

Here are the pictures of MY FIRST KNITTED SOCK!

I am sorry picture number three is so dark. I was trying to show the heel off, but it did not want to show up too well. Anyways, this is the sock, my very first attempt.

Thanks for looking!

Lieke
02-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Theknitter, your sock looks really nice.

As for the panda cotton, I haven't used it yet, but if I'm off my yarn diet, I think I'll try it. It's a pity they don't have just white, so I can't dye it.

My moms socks were finished, but when I tried if I could get them on for a picture, the bind off was to tight. Now I've got them back on the needles and I'll knit a few rounds more, so I've got enough yarn to bind off and then I'll bind off.

What is the best method for binding off toe-up socks? I've tried the standard bind off and the decreased bind off which were both to tight.

knitgal
02-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Here's the first sock of my second pair! They're for the DBF and they're knit out of Austermann Step (he's so spoiled). The pattern is "Just yer basic sock" that I found on Ravelry with slight variations. I liked this pattern except that the heel isn't reinforced so I'm not sure how it will wear and the toe is soooooo pointy. It still fits pretty well. I'm going to cast on for the second one today.

The.Knitter
02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
That is a great looking sock. Congrats! Yes, your man is spoiled, just like mine. Keep up the good work.

I CO my second sock this morning and am ready to start knitting. I have two weeks until Valentine's Day so I am not stressed. I will have no trouble getting it done, barring any complications. The first sock was CO on Saturday of a week ago, so it took me one day less than a week. Keeping in mind that was my first sock ever, this one should not take as long (I hope).

dustinac
02-02-2008, 11:08 AM
:blooby: Good Morning Socksters!!

Julie~ :woot: YAY on finishing up dh's sock!!

Jodi~Thank you...You should give 2 colors a try... and really this pattern I think is a good starting place...you are knitting with a dk weight and size 2 needles...the pattern is very well written :thumbsup: ...It was in Interweave's Fall issue...

LGM~ :woot: Welcome to the KAL ...that is what I consider a colorway...but I often wonder if I'm wrong :teehee: ...in the wip/fo forum you will see me say pretty colorway...then next time pretty colors :rofl:

The.Knitter and Knitgal~ :woohoo: Great jobs!!

Lieke~ I have that problem too...I thought dotty posted a new way in the old KAL but I couldn't find it...I looked it up on google and found a lot different ways...here is one from wendyknits (http://wendyknits.net/archives/1152):thumbsup:

Carla~ Guess what? They had an opening in SAM5 so I get to join :yay:

I had my sockamania pattern waiting on me this morning...it's so pretty... I want to CO now...but I need to start hedgehogs and finish mittens :think: ...

knitgal
02-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Guess what the DBF said when he put on his sock?
"It feel like lingerie for my feet"
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I don't think he realises that most lingerie is not made for comfort , just style!

jberry16
02-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Ok so I've decided after talking to the ped. last night that she's ok, and she meant that she didn't want to see us sick anymore. I asked her last night.
Ok so I got my sockintine pattern and am soooooooo excited!

Lieke, this is the sewn toe up cast off (http://www.woolywonder.com/classpages/sewncastoff/sewncastoff.htm)that was from the first kal thread (I think)

Got errands to run today and then hopefully I can knit through the superbowl!

The.Knitter
02-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Guess what the DBF said when he put on his sock?
"It feel like lingerie for my feet"
HAHAHAHAHA!!!
I don't think he realises that most lingerie is not made for comfort , just style!

Tell him most lingerie is made from silk or satin or some nasty nylon, but his socks are made from wonderful, warm, soft and cozy wool. I think he gets the better of this deal!

dustinac
02-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok so I've decided after talking to the ped. last night that she's ok, and she meant that she didn't want to see us sick anymore. I asked her last night.
Ok so I got my sockintine pattern and am soooooooo excited!

Lieke, this is the sewn toe up cast off (http://www.woolywonder.com/classpages/sewncastoff/sewncastoff.htm)that was from the first kal thread (I think)

Got errands to run today and then hopefully I can knit through the superbowl!

Julie~ That's great that you guys were able to talk!! Check out the Sockamania blog for an error on Chart Row17..:thumbsup:

Lieke
02-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Knitgal, your sock looks really great.

Thanks dustina and jberry, I'll check both cast off methods out when I'm ready. Hopefully they'll be stretchy enough.

G J
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Leike, here's (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_bindoff.htm) another method from Silver with a good tutorial. I've used it. Do it loosely and you'll be all set!

jodstr2
02-02-2008, 03:00 PM
how is everyone doing today? I'm going to finish up some stuff online then try to finish Jaywalker 1 today.

knitgal
02-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Ohhh, the jaywalkers! I definitely want to make these. How are you finding them?

jberry16
02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Jaywalker pattern (http://www.magknits.com/Sept05/patterns/jaywalker.htm)

I bought some on-line yarn it was pink/white varigated, color # 852 69479 & then I over dyed it (like Dotty always did) and I used a pack of kool-aid black cherry and 1/2 tsp wilsons dye pink and now it's a pinkish red color-I'll post pics on my blog when it's dry. This time I took before & after pics. I think the color it was originally would have been pretty but not for the sockamania pattern for Feb. I'll be co for it once it's dry.

1to1
02-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I've actually worked on my Pomatomus today!

...dotty...
02-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm in ! I'M IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

I figure if you're gonna drop my name, I better atleast let the new 'faces' know who you're talkin' about !

The 'Bleeding Heart' socks are continuing........in actual fact, I am trying to sssssttttttttrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeettttttttccccccchhh hhhhh them out so that I have them to knit on when I go to doctor's appointments and such. But I love the color and the feel and the ease of knitting just plain stockinette with no decisions to make or difficult patterns to remember !!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, having said that, I did finish number one (see why I have to slow down.....number 2 is so easy.......you know, like I said, it's all worked out......no decisions to make). Yeh, right ! ! ! I already knitted the picot edge wrong ! I had it written down, how I did the first one I mean, but I have trouble counting rounds on a knitted piece. I try to mark down each round, but like to count and see if I missed marking one, and I'm never sure if I'm supposed to count the stitches on the needle as a round? And what about that very first 'v' ? Is that the cast on edge, or does it count as a round?
DO I SOUND CRAZY.........I'm getting help for that :clink:

:teehee: ........but seriously, I made this second picot a round taller than the first, and thought, oh well, they're mine...I can live with it............BUT I COULDN'T ! So rip and knit ! But the next try came out fine, and as you can see, at this point I can just sail away to the heel.
By the way, I used this toe...... http://www.socknitters.com/lessons/toes.htm (http://www.socknitters.com/lessons/toes.htm) and it's kindof strange looking off of the foot......soooooooooooo long ! But it fits this pointy toed gal pretty well.

Lieke, I can't remember what bindoff I used on the Alex socks (I'd have to search the old thread, and we all know what a monster it is !), but the sewn cast off was too tight for me, as was a regular bindoff, done over larger needles.

Now........WOW ! What a great bunch of new faces here ! :waving: I love the enthusiasm for finishing first socks...........I remember that ! I still get it to some degree, but that "LOOK ! I knitted a SOCK !" There's just nothing more fun to hear, here ! Congratulations ! Absolutely beautiful job !

I haven't seen anyone mention it here, (although I confess to not having read all the pages), but I thought I'd include the link for the site I use to resize photos for posting here......... http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ (http://www.shrinkpictures.com/) . I used to just use their 'create avatar' page, but realized that they had this resizing thingy too, and you don't have to sign up for, or download anything !

Remember that the yarn for these bleeding heart socks is some Bare worsted weight superwash merino from KnitPicks, that I dyed with Cherry Red, and Pink Lemonade drink mixes.

G J
02-02-2008, 07:15 PM
WhooHooo! Dotty, your socks look LOVELY and it's SO nice to hear from you again! We've missed you around here!:hug:

For those of you who like podcasts, I found one I LOVE! I've been listening to back issues all day! It's Short Cummings Audio (http://www.shortcummingsaudio.com/). Each cast is a 6 minute humorous essay. EXCELLENT! Laugh out loud!

I've been at the frog pond for my knitting time. (Good thing I had the fun podcasts to keep me from screaming!) My Upstairs Stole had something that looked funky a few rows back (I was on row 30) and I tried to get back to it. Unfortunately, I kept dropping stitches and had to go back to my lifeline at row 16. Grrrrr.:wall: That's NINE DAYS' worth of knitting for me! At least I had a lifeline. I think I'll start putting them in more frequently!

The.Knitter
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Gina, so sorry to hear that you had trouble with your stole. I hope things go better for you now.

Dotty, welcome back! Those socks are amazing! Your hand dyed yarn is to die for. I love the picoted edge on those socks. One day when I grow up I want to be able to make socks like that! IF I ever grow up!!!

Jberry, how are the kids feeling, better I hope!

Well, I CO the stitches for my second sock. Then I was cold and went into the kitchen to put on some coffee. BIG mistake! I opened one cupboard and was frustrated by the mess. So I cleaned it. I opened another cupboard and was doubly frustrated, so I cleaned that one too. By the time I was finished I had cleaned every cupboard and drawer in the kitchen, including the cold meat drawer in the fridge. Then I came and sat back down here. I was sitting here when I realized that I had a part bag of orange pekoe tea bags in the cupboard, sitting right beside an empty tea cannister and I had not made the coffee. So up I got and fixed that problem. Then I realized that there is a huge tin of rice sitting in the cupboard where I usually only keep coffee and tea type items. So I fixed that too! Then I came back in here and sat down and looked at my knitting, sitting waiting patiently for me. Then for some reason, I got back up and cleaned the bathroom. I love DH to death, but he won`t even notice! Now I am sitting here and I am still cold, the coffee never did get made, no knitting got done, but the kitchen and bathroom are clean.

The good news is that the spring cleaning in the kitchen is done now and I won`t have to do it again until the fall.

Back to sock number two....

Jackie Lim
02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
hello dear sockagals,

Horray !!! I have the Feb sockamania pattern....hope i can finish it in time ! now shopping for new yarn. Any good buy around ??

Dotty - Miss U. Your sock is lovely, with that fantastic colour.

Hi to all the finished sockies, u sure are beautiful. Way to go...

jberry16
02-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dotty!!!!!!!! So glad to see you here! Love the socks~very Valentinesey.

Kids are doing great! no fevers today!!! I almost have the ribbing done on dh's second sock and overdyed the yarn for my sockamania sock.

The.Knitter
02-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear kids are better and you can be productive again with your knitting.

Abbily
02-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Holy moly, this thread moves fast!

The.Knitter, your sock looks fabulous! Great job!

All the other socks look great, too! LOL at 'lingerie for my feet'! :)

I finished my first sock just a few minutes ago! The ML experiment was a HUGE success- the sock went SO much faster once I got onto one needle instead of 5! I'm getting ready to cast on the 2nd one while I watch Doctor Who. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v387/mommycarey/knitting012.jpg

Lieke
02-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Dotty and Abbily, both your socks look great.

I'm still not sure what cast off to use, but I still have to knit a bit, so I'm safe for now, I can wait deciding untill I'm there.

1to1
02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi Socksters,

DOTTY IS BACK!!!:woot:

My pomatomus was in the frog pond too. I messed up something and tried to rip back a few row...ended up frogging all the way back to the ribbing.

Off to clean up for the SuperBowl Party.

Have a great day!

Sock on,
Carla

knitgal
02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Abbily, what pattern is that? I love it!

dustinac
02-03-2008, 11:44 AM

:woot: Dotty is back:woot: I'm so excited!!!

Jodi~ I hope you go to work on the jaywalkers some :happydance:

Julie~ YAY on the 2nd sock and can't wait to see the yarn...:blooby:

Knitgal~most like the jaywalkers but some do have problems getting the fit just right...I haven't made them cause of this didn't want to have to fight for the fit :teehee:

Gina~ :hug: I hate to read that you spent your time at the frog pond yesterday!! YAY for lifelines!!! :happydance:

The.Knitter~ :teehee: don't ya love when that happens? It gets me sidetracked all the time...

dotty~ Your socks look wonderful and thank you for the resize link...kodak does it for me so I'm no help on that :teehee:

Jackie~ I'm on a no sock yarn diet so I haven't been listening for any good deals :teehee: ...I don't know if Elann (http://www.elann.com/productdisp.asp?NAME=elann%2Ecom+Sock+It+to+Me+4+P ly&Cat=&ProductType=5&Count=27)will ship to you or not but their sock yarn is a good price...I have it marked for when I'm no longer on my diet...I haven't tried it though...

Abbily~Pretty! I'm glad the ML worked :yay:

Carla~ I'm sorry to read that you had frog yours...Have fun at the party...it's just going to be us here...:happydance:

JD fixed me up yesterday with a lower desk and so my mouse and everything is closer to me...I also found on ravelry a pattern for wrist things and think I might try to make one of those...

I worked on Roo's hedgehog yesterday and just have to finish the lower back up today...that is sooo fast...using 0s and 1s most of the time you forget how fast things go on 10.5s and 11s :rofl:

I hope you all have a great day of knitting!! :woohoo:

KnitPit
02-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Hi All, I know I never posted when I finished my first pair of socks...I got busy with vacation and then various emergencies. But I wanted to let you know that I finished them and then I did another pair, which my SO has sworn to wear every day. (A wonderful complement, but I think I better knit more socks so it doesn't have to be true.) Sorry, no pics, my camera battery won't hold a charge anymore, I'm going to have to replace it. I wanted to thank you all for helping me out when I got stuck. Now I'm off to try knitting 2 socks in 1 this way:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

It looks like fun.

alleusion
02-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay, I told myself I wasn't going to join this one because I'm not actively working on a sock. I've got 2 blankets, a bootie, and a hat that I'm actively working on, but the sock has been pushed aside for the moment.

This doesn't mean I don't want to make a sock. I have good intentions. I want to make my baby some socks. I want to make myself some socks. I want to make the world some socks *breaks into song*....

Whew, what came over me.....

I've learned ML and I and in love love love with it. Like, if I had a choice, I wouldn't go back to dpns ever again. I don't really have alot of circular needles though. I have US sizes 2, 7, and 8 I believe. Most sock patterns I've seen call for needles anywhere from size 0 to size 3. I did my taxes last night, they were accepted by the IRS this morning, and in a few weeks I should have my refund. Momma is going shopping! Any suggestions on needles? I'd like to get an interchangeable set, as well as appropriate circs for sock knitting.

That being said, I also want to try your sock pattern Julie. The one on your blog. But I have a question. It says you used "1/2 oz 100% merino sock yarn"....what weight is that? Fingering or DK? I have some merino superwash in DK weight, but I don't want it to be too thick. I'd also like to dye some myself. I think when I do get to go shopping, I'm placing an order at KP for some undyed yarn as well as the circs I need.

But until then, I'd like to try the pattern out at least. If I use DK weight, what needle size would you recommend? Do you think the 2's would be too big? I do have some fingering weight as well...it's not wool, but it's okay. Again...would size 2 needles work? I think I'll play around with this today while watching DH and his friend play video games.

I seem to have this habit where if it's not what the pattern says, I'm very iffy about trying it. Same with baking. I'm just now learning how to experiement.

Oh oh oh (sorry I know this is getting long)...a quick baby update. Emily has turned head down (if the location of the kicks and punches is any indication). I'm having more and more BH contractions every day, and some of them are a wee bit uncomfy. We have 8 weeks until D-Day and I have every intention of keeping her baking until as close to that day as possible. I'm starting to look like a whale.

jberry16
02-03-2008, 12:35 PM
That being said, I also want to try your sock pattern Julie. The one on your blog. But I have a question. It says you used "1/2 oz 100% merino sock yarn"....what weight is that? Fingering or DK? I have some merino superwash in DK weight, but I don't want it to be too thick. I'd also like to dye some myself. I think when I do get to go shopping, I'm placing an order at KP for some undyed yarn as well as the circs I need.

But until then, I'd like to try the pattern out at least. If I use DK weight, what needle size would you recommend? Do you think the 2's would be too big? I do have some fingering weight as well...it's not wool, but it's okay. Again...would size 2 needles work? I think I'll play around with this today while watching DH and his friend play video games.

The yarn I used was fingering weight, sure you could use dk weight and size 2, they'll probably just be a little bit bigger. And you can use size 2 with fingering weight too, it will be a looser fabric than I had with size 1, most likely. I am a tight knitter & always have to go up a size or 2 to get the same gauge that the patterns are written in. Just play with it, see what your gauge is-you can use any yarn and needles for any pattern as long as you get the same gauge. make sense? You could even make her some toddler size socks with your size 7 or 8 & use worsted weight yarn, it would give you some practice and insant gratification. Just follow the pattern and the socks should fit her when she's bigger. If you have any questions you can ask them here or e-mail me, I think my addy is on the blog.
The yarn I used was some from knitpicks that I dyed with kool-aid.
As far as your interchangeable set, I'd vote for the options from knitpicks. I have those and the denise set-the rainbow set colored from Amy (purchased here on this site) and I like the options much more. I do occasionally use the denise set-but like the others better. I don't like wood needles and I don't like the sound of the metal needles (like boye) from the local stores, though that's what I crochet with. just my $.02!

I cannot wait to get a tax refund (hope we do) I really want to buy more sock yarn to dye-it's soooooo much fun! :knitting: I plan to post pics later of the yarn I overdyed yesterday. It's cloudy here today, and it's not quite dry yet...wish it would hurry up. I've put it in the bathroom with the little heater going so it would dry faster. :teehee:

alleusion
02-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Okay, I'm so pysched to try this! I'm going out of town for the day, so I wrote the pattern down, as well as the instructions for the short row heel (no printer...OMG put that on that shopping list...my hand is killing me!) Sadly, I only have fingering weight in white or blue, but it should work. Beggars can't be choosers right now KWIM? Here's to hoping when I get home tonight, I'll have a cute little sockette to share!

jberry16
02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
ok so I couldn't wait-before is pink/mauve-creame & after is wiltons dye & 1 pk black cherry kool-aid
whatcha think? (be honest)

The.Knitter
02-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow, love that colour jberry! Really bright and pretty.

jodstr2
02-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Ohhh, the jaywalkers! I definitely want to make these. How are you finding them?

pretty easy. only 2 pattern rows, so it's a definite "watching TV" pattern. it doesn't have much "give" tho, so if your ankles are as cankly as mine, I suggest making the larger size.

go for it! :thumbsup:

Abbily
02-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the compliments, everyone!

Knitgal, it's Mirabella, there's a link in my signature.

Jberry, I love the yarn color! Beautiful job!

Jenny, wow, only 8 weeks to go! I had TONS of BH contractions with my Emily, probably for the last 3 months or so. And I could always tell she was head down, because that's where the hiccups were (constantly!). :) Anyway, she stayed put till 6 days before her due date.

...dotty...
02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh, Julie, julie , JULIE !
That yarn is to DYE FOR.........no wait,.......I mean, to die for ! Don't you dare dye it anymore............IT'S LUSCIOUS !!!!!:muah:
Now remind me what you're using it for.......is this for your socks or mittens or what?

I go with Julie's recommendation for KnitPicks nickel-plated needles all the way. I love my new Options set, although, yes, they do start coming unscrewed occasionally during a knit (I'm using the size 4 with the 32 inch cable on these worsted weight socks, currently.) But you know it quick enough when the stitches don't slide smoothly onto the cable, and you tighten it and go on about your knitting. The little tightener/lever really does help you get it to where it takes a while before coming loose again..I just keep it in my tin with my sock stitch markers which I reach for constantly anyway. And the fixed circulars are magnificent......if your join isn't perfect, they send you a replacement just for asking. I do wish I had waited until they had the 40 inch, as mine are 32, but I've found that that length works on hats as well, and I really didn't care for knitting two socks at once anyway. (If I made a mistake, I made it TWICE, and it just felt awkward in my hands.) The pointy-ness of KnitPicks needles have spoiled me ! I tried to practice swatch for a lace shawl, using an Addi turbo, and it was like using a dowel instead of a needle ! And Addis are NICE !

I love the look of the Mirabellas.............I mean LOVE !
And , GJ, your COLORS ! ! ! Is that pink and brown, or am I reading it wrong? It looks so good with those two cables !
I missed Steve's cables somewhere along the way........share another picture, Steve.
HANG IN THERE , EMILY-CHILD !

The.Knitter
02-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, I have the ribbing done on sock #2 and I am into the stockinette stitch part now. This is the easy part and should take about a day to knit my seven inches. Then on to that heel flap. I am easily going to make my deadline of Valentine's Day.

Still looking for the "perfect" sock yarn to make my first pair of red socks for me and having no luck yet. I can't order online because I don't have a credit card. DH's is maxed out right now. I will get what I need eventually. I have other stuff OTN that I can finish up while I am waiting for the perfect yarn to magically appear.

I refused to clean today at all, after all that cleaning I did yesterday. So I am just sitting here, lurking in KH and knitting DH's Valentine sock!

G J
02-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Dotty,
It is pink and brown. I'm afraid I'll run out of brown! :hair:I'm loving the cables. Makes it interesting, without having to think too much.

silegose
02-03-2008, 07:35 PM
even though I have a hard time with socks I feel if I keep trying them I will get them right at some point...:)

When you are working the decreases for the toe. which way do they go. I am using the magic loop and everytime I get confused.

Here is how I have set up my needles. Instep are all on one needle and the bottom/heel st on the other. The decreases will be at each end. My problem is which decrease goes where?

jberry16
02-03-2008, 07:43 PM
even though I have a hard time with socks I feel if I keep trying them I will get them right at some point...:)

When you are working the decreases for the toe. which way do they go. I am using the magic loop and everytime I get confused.

Here is how I have set up my needles. Instep are all on one needle and the bottom/heel st on the other. The decreases will be at each end. My problem is which decrease goes where?
just remember that when you're 3 sts away from the end of a needle you do the k2tog and then k1 & when you're beginning the needle you k1 then ssk. Hope that helps.

Yes Maam Dotty, I will leave it alone-the color is growing on me. thanks for the compliments.

silegose
02-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much... I will let you know how it goes. I going to try and finish this will watching the big game... I will somehow get a pic of them when I get them done.
thanks again.

jberry16
02-03-2008, 07:55 PM
you're welcome, I'm off to watch the game too...and work on dh's socks.

Here's the e-mail...
Are you smarter than a 5th grader?
This is a real math problem so don't say that the bus has no legs. There
are no tricks in the question.
If you get the correct answer, that's the password to the attached
spreadsheet. Put your name in the column with the names (look to the
right in the spreadsheet if you open it!), re-save the spreadsheet and
then forward it on if you were smart enough to get the right answer.

ARE YOU SMARTER THAN A 5TH GRADER?

There are 7 girls on a bus
Each girl has 7 backpacks
In each backpack, there are 7 big cats
For every big cat there are 7 little cats

Question: How many legs are there in the bus?

The number of legs is the password to unlock the Excel sheet.

If you open it, add your name, re-save the spreadsheet and send it on to
see who else can unlock it.

Good luck
please post your answers or pm them to me and I'll let you know the right answer. There is an excell sheet that has the answer and until you know it you cannot open the sheet. The little old lady I got this from at church is so puzzled and I said I'd ask around on here to have some fun.

Jackie Lim
02-03-2008, 08:32 PM
morning ladies,

Julie - my answer is "bus has no leg", silly ??

Jackie Lim
02-03-2008, 08:38 PM
dustina - the Elann's socks it to me 4ply 210m for US$2.30 (i think it is worth buying). Cant find the shipping cost for International. Is it expensive ?

alleusion
02-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Well, I'm home from my day trip finally.

Julie, I cast on the sock, and immediately made some mistakes. I don't know if I'm going to make the second sock for thei pair because of all the mistakes I made. I'm okay with them, but I don't know if I can duplicate them.

First, I did the first set of increases, then on the very next round, instead of knitting the round, I did another round of increases. I realized that mistake and continued in the pattern the way it was supposed to be.

The short row heel was interesting. It was my first one, and while it's not pretty, it's not bad either.

Oh and I goofed and instead of increasing to 36 stitches, I stopped too soon and only have 32 stitches. So, the sock is a little small. I'm at the point now where I'm to start the ribbing, but I'm going to bed soon. I'm going to finish the socks though....or sock rather. Once it's done, I'll determine whether or not to make the other one, trying to duplicate my mistakes so they look the same.

I'm using the fingering weight and size 2 circ. With as tiny as the sock is, I think the next one I make will be with DK weight and the same size needles. Experiementation is okay, and occasionally, even when I goof, it comes out okay. I'll take a picture and post it in the morning.

Lieke
02-04-2008, 02:01 AM
My moms socks are finished. No pics, she put them on immediately. I ended up using the kitchener bind off, since dotty said she wasn't happy with the sewn bind off, but that wasn't as stretchy as I hoped eiter. Well, my mom can get them on, so I leave them this way, but I'm still looking for the perfect bind off.

I already started a new pair op socks. The tangled yarn is untangled now and my next socks are knitted with that yarn. I've got a little bit of ribbing done and this far, I really like the colors.

dustinac
02-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Good Morning socksters :blooby:

KnitPit~ Good to see you posting :happydance:

Jenny~I'm so glad you decided to join us again! I love my options as well...Emily hold on :hug:

Julie~ Very pretty!! I agree with Jackie :teehee:

The.Knitter~Can't wait to see the finished 2nd sock!!

Gina~ Oh No! I hope you have enough :wall:

dotty~ :yay: I used my Elvis bag last night!!

Jackie~ I found this (http://www.elann.com/info.asp#shippingint)on their international shipping :thumbsup:

Lieke~ I'm glad your mom liked them and now you can start your pair...can't wait to see picts :happydance:

I started the Sockamania sock last night with Ruby Red slippers from an etsy buy a while back... I made it through one repeat with no problems...the 2nd started out find but then decided I could still knit and talk to mom...I'll be tinking back today :rofl:

I bought my yarn for the throw Carla :yay: ...while there I asked them about my wrist...they think it's from the bird in hand gloves...where I made mom a pair and my right hand one...they say that worsted weight isn't meant to be knitted on 1s and I need to put my left glove up till summer :wall: summer??? I wanted to wear it this year...

I did finish Roo's hedge hog (except felting) so now will start Isaiah's...it's driving Roo crazy cause she knows I'm knitting a surprise for Valentine's day :teehee:

I hope you all have a great day of knitting!! Dh is working from home today :happydance:

jberry16
02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Mornin' everyone!

Jenny: don't worry about the increases, that's easy to duplicate~short row heels can be tricky the first time. That's why when I'm trying something new like that I like to do it on a smaller version ie. a baby sock. Good luck and I cannot wait to see the pictures! :happydance:

Dustina: When you did your sock, did you increase until there were 64 or 68 sts? I just got the revised pattern and it says to do so for 64 sts, the original says to do it for 68. Which is better? :shrug: nevermind I just read the blog and it says total sts is 64. :)

I hope to co for the sockamania socks today~almost have the ribbing done on dh's socks-I think I'm comming down with the cold again-grrr. I feel very sleepy and my nose feels stoped up and yet is runny & my eyes are watery...all I'm missing is the fever. darnit. I have to get the house in order first today before any knitting b/c it's driving me crazy! :cry:
Gotta go get the kids breakfast, I'll check back in later. :waving:
Guys according the the math problem The best answer we've figured out was 10,990-however I don't have excel on my computer so I'm not sure if it's the right password to open it or not.

dustinac
02-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Julie~ I CO for 68 yesterday...but the chart only had 32 sts so I decreased down to 64 and just left it :rofl: ...I hope you feel better soon :hug:

jberry16
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
:rofl: thanks :hug:

jodstr2
02-04-2008, 12:40 PM
good morning and happy Monday :)
I woke my 2nd Hedera from hibernation because it was really bugging me that I hadn't touched it since early November. I'm on the gusset decreases. once I complete these decreases tonight I'll go back to Jaywalker for a bit and alternate between the 2.
my Claudia's in colorway John B. is calling out to me tho... want to start Pomatomus.... *sigh* startitis. argh... :biting:

knitgal
02-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Is it bad that I'm not finished my DBF's pair of socks and I want to start another? We're going to a city with a LYS, and since I'm deprived of a good LYS here I am tempted to go and buy sock yarn! I also want to try wood sock needles. I learned on metal and I think that was part of the reason I didn't like knitting socks at first. I often pulled the needle out and left a whole bunch of stitches hanging. It was quite horrifying actually.
I'll see if we go, if not I'm buying a new knitting book! Fair trade I think.

The.Knitter
02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I reasearched Harmony dpn's. I am asking for this for my birthday. HOLD ON! Our first anniversary is coming up in April. My birthday is not until August. I know what I will do. I'll ask DH for them for our anniversary. LOL.

Back to the needles: there are six sets of six needles in the set, starting at size 00 and going to 3, for only $34.99. They come in a flat plastic carrying case. I want to try wood as well. I don't like the slippery metal dpn's so much, but it's all I have right now, so it will have to do!

jberry16
02-04-2008, 01:17 PM
o how fun knit gal! I prefer the metal to wood...I wanna buy more sock yarn too-just cant seem to want to work from the stash...sigh.

1to1
02-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Socksters,

How is everyone doing?

Dotty, what's on your needles? or sewing machine?

Julie, Hope you start feeling better. I've been fighting this bug for a week. I cough my head off, my eyes hurt, my body is tired and I just want to go to bed. I don't generally get sick and am being a big baby about it.

Dustina, what yarn did you get? I think with knitting and being on the computer our hands sometimes need a break, uh Gina?

I finally got back to where I frogged on the Poms and the Hemlock is coming along nicely. I bought this Carie Lynn bag (http://www.sheknitsforknitters.com/store/productview.asp?prodID=35) pattern and won't let myself start on it until I finish the other WIPs.

Take care and stay healthy,
Carla

Lisa1216
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Good afternoon everyone! I finally loaded in some pics of socks I made a few months ago. The light purple pair was from a pattern I found here at KH. I wish I could remember whose it is because I really liked it. (I can't find the paper I printed it out on). The blue one is the Hedera pattern, although I shortened the heel flap because the one in the pattern seemed way too long. Both yarns are a cotton/bamboo sock yarn I bought at a fiber fest this past fall.

I started another pair for my DD on a worsted weight yarn similar to Encore. It is 75% acrylci/25% wool. I'll see how those go. It seems to be knitted up okay so far.

Glad everyone had a good weekend!

jberry16
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Carla that looks like a nice winter purse.

jberry16
02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
No. of cats with one girl 392
No. of cats with seven girls 2744
total legs of cats 10976
Grand total 10990

Just incase it was driving y'all crazy.
:passedout: that's a bunch of cats!

Abbily
02-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh good, I got it right! :)

The.Knitter- I have the harmony dpns, and I love them! The only problem is they are a pretty dark color... and my socks are dark brown... so I can barely see the stitches! They really do hug the yarn, though. I also have the harmony interchangeables... mmmmm :)

knitgal
02-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Lisa- what was the cotton/bamboo sock yarn that you used? Did it have any wool in it? I'm looking for wool-free sock yarns.

Update on the LYS! I came, I saw and I bought sock yarn! I bought Lana Grossa in a manly colourway for the socks I'm going to make for the DBF's dad. He just had major knee surgery and I thought he'd like a pair of socks to cheer him up. It's a really nice blue/brown/green self striping yarn. Oh- and I also bought some Crystal Palace Bamboo sock needles. Now I just have to decide on a "manly" sock pattern.

The.Knitter
02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Lisa- what was the cotton/bamboo sock yarn that you used? Did it have any wool in it? I'm looking for wool-free sock yarns.

I too am looking for non-wool sock yarns. It was suggested that I get Cascade Fixation but I am having a hard time getting that in Canada. Any other suggestions? I want to make a pair of sox for ME (translate that to mean RED)!!!

Lisa1216
02-04-2008, 05:25 PM
I bought the yarn at the Finger Lakes Fiber Fest here in NY back in the fall. The name of the vendor was Maple Creek Farm Fine Wools. www.maplecreekyarn.com (http://www.maplecreekyarn.com) . The tag says hand painted cotton/bamboo. I'm not 100% sure that there is no wool in it. It defintely doesn't feel like wool. It's very smooth and stretchy. I have their card and the e-mail address is dyemerino@aol.com if you want to send them a question about it.

Hope this helps!:)

jberry16
02-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Lisa those socks are so purdy! what pattern(s) did you use?

cinnamon_girl
02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Hi Socksters!

I've been browsing through the back pages... trying to keep up but you sock knitters are some serious knitters. There's been some great socks posted and it sounds like everyone is getting stuff done. yay!:yay:
Sadly, I have no progress on my Monkey's socks to share. They're on hold right now while I work on finishing the One Row scarf from the Yarn Harlot. I want the socks but with this cold weather I need the scarf so first things first. Then back to the Monkey's.

In the meantime, here's some yarn porn as they say. A friend gifted me with this beautiful sock yarn over the weekend and I'm anxious to knit it! I think I'm going to make those Best Friend socks Rebecca (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/2008/01/best-friend-socks-pattern.html)just shared. What do you think?

fibrenut
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Hiya guys n gals,
I know I haven't been posting for a coupla days but o well. The call of duty I guess....
Well, I have been feverishly working on my grandson's sweater. I got the front and back done and notated most of the instructions. It's gonna be fun.... NOT... deciphering all my gibberish. :roflhard:
But here's a pic of the WIP so far... let me know whatcha think:knitting:

The.Knitter
02-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, now I know why you've been busy. Nice Aran knit. I have one somewhat similar on the go (well a UFO really) that I am having trouble with. I sure hope yours goes smoothly for you. This is just a beautiful sweater and I am sure your grandson is going to be thrilled with it!

fibrenut
02-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Thank you knitter!!:muah:

I am in the process of coming up with patterns for boys sweaters. Some traditional and some not so...:happydance:
I think the next one will be the transformers logo either done with intarsia or purl stitches. Or maybe I'll just write the pattern so that peeps can do both and choose which one they want.
Right now, I'm saving up my sock yarn for the SKP2008 sock knitting olympics contest. I'm waiting for the instructions. That's bound to be loads of fun!!! Lot's of ladies from Germany are signing up. :woot:

tangle2007
02-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Oh, my--I cannot keep up with this thread!! So many beautiful socks posted.

I spent the weekend ripping and re-ripping, and I now have something that is starting to look like a sock!!:woohoo:

I'm hoping to finish it tonight now that the kids are in bed.

knitgal
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow- lovely colours tangle! What yarn is that?

tangle2007
02-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Thank you knitgal--it's a Toasty Toes by Interlacements:
https://interlacementsyarns.com/index.asp

Lieke
02-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Lisa, your socks are really pretty

Tangle, I really love the colors of your sock

The knitter, for the woolfree sockyarn, why don't you use elann.com esprit. It's almost the same as cascade fixations (at least that is said, I haven't tried it before) but less expensive and you can buy it from the internet. You should check out Grumperina's list of woolfree sock yarn (http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/nonwoolysockyarn.htm)

tangle2007
02-05-2008, 05:11 AM
It's done! It's done!

I have my first sock :woohoo:

My model is sleeping so I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see if it fits her. And now I'm off to bed at last!

The.Knitter
02-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Nice going Tangle. Those colours are really bright and cheerful. I hope your model likes her sock. Now get the second one CO so that you don't get SSS. That sock is so cute and small. Was turning the heel hard when working something that tiny?

Lisa1216
02-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Lisa those socks are so purdy! what pattern(s) did you use?

The blue sock is Cookie A.'s Hedera sock pattern. I can't remember the pattern though for the purple one. I'm going to have to dig through a stack of printed out patterns I have to see if it's there. I'll look tonight when I get home from work to see if I can find it.

Tangle~ Great first sock! :cheering:

fibrenut~I think your sweater looks great. I love cables.

cinnamon_girl~The yarn is beautiful. :heart: Can't wait to see how it knits up!

I finished up the first sock for my DD. I actually like the way the yarn is knitting up. Hopefully it will wear well and not stretch out too much.
Everyone have a great day!:)

knitgal
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Anyone have a good men's sock pattern for fingering weight sock yarn? I have 420 yards and I'm having trouble finding a pattern!

dustinac
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Jodi~ Can't wait to see the Hedra's!! :happydance:

knitgal~ Yay for more sock yarn! I like the harmony dpns...I just wish they came in a 5"...I also like hiya hiya dpns cause they do come in a 5" :teehee: ...Have you checked out Becka's (http://whimsicalknittingdesigns.blogspot.com/)site she has several men patterns...:thumbsup:

Carla~ I bought Plymouth's Galaway that's about all the worsted wool they carry....:think: I think that is the only one :rofl: ...I really like that bag!!

Lisa~ They look great!! :yay: Can't wait to see your daughter's socks...

Lieke~How are your socks coming along?

Suzy~ ohhh pretty yarn!! I think Becka's is a good choice or the Cookie BFF sock :happydance:

The.Knitter~ I think I'd ask for them in April too :rofl: ...Aug is to far off...

Tami~ ohh that is going to be pretty...I have trouble finding things to knit Isaiah...

Tangle~ :happydance: Great job!! Very pretty!!

Julie~ did you get to start on your socks? Hope you are feeling better today :hug:

I didn't knit much yesterday only on the three way wrap...it's just st st so thought I would do that for a break...hoping Isaiah's yarn will dry soon so I can knit his hedge hog...that way Valentines day I'm not in a rush (cause normally I would be):teehee: ...It took 3 packets of lime green koolaid to get it where I wanted it...

jberry16
02-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Beautiful work everyone! Love the new yarns!

dustina; no I didn't get to knit yesterday~wanted to try my hand at making a sock bag (instead of my Crown Royal bag I use). Well I need more practice & fabric...The first one I made is too skinny and the second one I made is a very large bag...So I may hire Dotty, or I may just buy more fabric and practice some more...we'll see. I wanna start my simply love socks today~gonna have to re-print the pattern b/c dd decided it need her artistic touch with pens : a little hard to read now ;)
Off to rewarm some pancakes for the kids breakfast & feed Caitlin and then I hope to wind my yarn (since it's dry now) and co for my socks today! I'm excited...
& sofar I'm feeling a little better today, thanks.

1to1
02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Morning Socksters,

WOW, you have been knitting up some beautiful socks.

Tangle, great job on your first sock.

Tami, dontcha just love aran.

Julie, glad you're feeling better. DD12 woke with a major headache this morning. She used to get headaches from red dye and chocolate and I have a feeling she is rundown and it is coming back. Poor thing...she went to school cause she has a test.

Dustina, what yarn do you like to felt with? I'm thinking ahead here for my Carie Lynn bag. If I use Patons I'll be holding 4 strands together. I really like Wool Pak but that will be $140.00.

Knitgal, I think Rebecca has some really nice men's patterns.

Lisa, great socks.

Lieke, great link.

Dotty, how's it going?

Worked on the Hemlock last night and my sock this morning...must get this done.

Sock on,
Carla

JamOKnit
02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Beautiful work, everybody!

I FINALLY cast on for sock #2. Gotta avoid that SSS! But it's sorta taken a backseat to some baby hats I am trying to design for a friend. Will hopefully have more knitting time this week compared to last week.

tangle2007
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Nice going Tangle. Those colours are really bright and cheerful. I hope your model likes her sock. Now get the second one CO so that you don't get SSS. That sock is so cute and small. Was turning the heel hard when working something that tiny?

Thanks, TheKnitter! She loved the sock, and wore it all over this morning. I had measured her foot and thought I made it too long so she could grow into it, but in fact it just fits now. The heel seemed easy once I figured out what I was doing, so maybe being tiny isn't a bad thing? I definitely will get SSS if I don't CO tonight. I already have 2 other projects waiting in the wings that I want to get started, too.

The.Knitter
02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Tangle, can I get that pattern for my DGD (if there's a link or it's a free pattern)? She would love sox made by Gramma. I might even try some for my DGS too if the pattern is for his size too.

alleusion
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I finished my first "real" sock. It's way too small I'm thinking, even for a newborn. I used Julie's pattern and made many many mistakes. One of the things I noticed that I'm not liking is that with the ribbing, I got some bad laddering going on at the joins of the sides. I did ML for it, and tried pulling tight and twisting stitches in between, but nothing seemed to work.

So, I'm not making a second for this one (hence the short ribbing). However, I do have some nice DK weight yarn I plan to use for the next set I'm going to make. In fact, I'm wanting to cast on for them at some point today.

http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/sock%20002.jpg
http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/sock%20004.jpg

And a close up of the laddering between the ribbing. You can't see it on the other side because that's where I wove in my ends so I could sew up a huge hole made at the top of the heel >.<

http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/sock%20003.jpg

G J
02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Nice socks, everyone!

Alleusion, I don't twist when I do ML, but I do pull the 1st 2 stitches REALLY tight around the cable. NO ladders. In fact, those stitches look a bit too tight sometimes. Personally, I love your little sock. SO CUTE!

As for me, I went back to the frog pond. :hair: I could tell I was going to run out of brown yarn for my pink and brown worsteds, so I frogged about 2" and added a dark pink stripe. Good thing I got the grab bag and have lots of colors to choose from!

jberry16
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Jenny it doesnt look bad-to a non knitter they'd be super impressed...not sure what to tell you about the laders? Cant wait to see the next one! You may want to try this (http://www.p2designs.com/pdfs/ptn-SoxBasicBaby.pdf)pattern~I like hers too...toe up or top down.

I still havent knit today-trying to motivate the kids to clean & keep the tv off

...dotty...
02-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Girls ! There's no way I can reply to all of these posts , but WOW ! You're all going great,,,,,full speed ahead ! ! !:muah:

On the subject of MagicLoop and ladders, I haven't gotten any ladders since I switched, and I don't twist either. I just pull that first couple of stitches really tight to the cable, and since the cable is smaller than the needle itself, it seems to overcompensate and things even out as I go.

Julie, congrats on the bag attempts........pm me if you want my measurements.........I don't want to sell one to someone who can make one themselves ! I'm all for promoting the efforts of any handi-crafter !
Carla, I have an idea for a child's lap quilt that I want to make, but as it lay in the floor for 3 days, and the cat and dog decided I was providing a play mat for them, I've picked it up. I just can't seem to get motivated on it. It's either too cold to work in here, or so danged beautiful outside that the last thing I want to be doing is stay inside and sew. Yesterday was 80 something degrees and we're expecting snow today.....:roflhard:

Thursday night is my next long appointment wait, so I'll get to work on the 'bleeding hearts' then.......:woot:

Oh, and Dustina, I tried swatching for that shawl I want to do !!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, this yarn is LITERALLY THREAD . It's just what the pattern calls for and I know it would/will be beautiful, but I could never have imagined any yarn being so fine. I need to order the KnitPicks needle to do it with, the Addis just aren't pointy enough ! I really want to order SOMETHING anyway,.........ya ever get that urge?

alleusion
02-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Jule - I"ll try that one. I like the hat that goes with it. In fact, I can do both with yarn I have in my stash. Thanks for sharing!

The.Knitter
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm half way done the second sock. I am half finished knitting the flap. This is the easy part because half of the stitches are slipped on the knit row. It goes very quickly. I had no trouble turning the heel last time because I have done that on the hood of Teddy-All-In-One many times.

My in-laws 62nd wedding anniversary is on Saturday. My DH (bless him, he's my enabler) has asked that the socks be finished so he can wear them to the party and show his mother his first pair of hand knit socks. He is so proud of these socks, I can`t believe he asked me to finish them so he could wear them to show them off! I will have no trouble meeting my deadline. MIL is still seriously ill so we are making a really big deal out of their anniversary this year. Can you imagine being married to someone for 62 years and both of you living to tell about it...

Now, if only I could get the sock yarn I want for me, I'd be set! Perhaps I will have to go to the hibernation bin and finish something that's waiting on me while I search for "the perfect" sock yarn for me. So I might have to leave this KAL in a few days, but not for long! I have the feeling every time I get bored with what I am knitting I will have my "Merry" (the bag Silver made for me) stocked and ready for knitting another pair of sox.

G J
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
So I might have to leave this KAL in a few days, but not for long! I have the feeling every time I get bored with what I am knitting I will have my "Merry" (the bag Silver made for me) stocked and ready for knitting another pair of sox.

No need to leave the KAL! Hang out while you're knitting other stuff! I couldn't knit at all for awhile and this wonderful group wouldn't let me go!

tangle2007
02-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Tangle, can I get that pattern for my DGD (if there's a link or it's a free pattern)? She would love sox made by Gramma. I might even try some for my DGS too if the pattern is for his size too.

The pattern was from "Socks for the Family" by Michele Wyman. It is basically one pattern with four options for ribbing, and four options for leg stitch patterns, and it tells you how to scale the pattern up and down from toddler to men's sizes. My LYS recommended it for a beginner, and I think it was great for me. I think I can make an infinite variety of socks from this booklet.

Alleusion, I think your socks are adorable!! I ended up with laddering when I tried seeded rib ribbing (that's what my pattern called it, anyway), but not when I switched to regular 2x2 ribbing--I don't know why, since I think I was pulling just as tightly with both.

jberry16
02-05-2008, 07:43 PM
well I completed the toe on my sockamania sock and then 10 rows of the pattern, and realized that somewhere inbetween I had droped a yo st & couldn't figure out how to frog back to that point, so I froged back to the end of the toe increases-grrrrr. Ok so maybe I'll get to work on it tomorrow.

Hey this is OT but I'm trying to get Caitlin to fall asleep on her own, not going very well. She'll cry for ever and then I go an pick her up and put her on my left shoulder (she doesn't like the right one) and she's out instantly...any ideas? She wont take a binki and when she's mad she wont suck on her fists either. Also at night I have to nurse her to sleep-something else I'd like to end. I would ultimately like to nurse her and then put her in bed and have her doze off on her own. It was easier with the other two b/c they had their own rooms, but she's sleeping in our room now and then will share with her sister. I used to let the other two cry it out, but I can't do that with her b/c she'd wake her sister up, or if she's in our room crying then we cant go to sleep...any words of wisdom? thanks mommies

dustinac
02-06-2008, 10:00 AM

Julie~I bet you can get a bag to work out...I can't sew so there was no way I could...I've tried and can't get lines to stay straight or well get the machine to work like dotty and my mom can :rofl: ...hope you get to work on the sock today... I had to frog my 2nd repeat...this is one that seems like I should be able to do it while everything is going on but I'm finding out I can't...

For sleeping well I tell ya my mom worked miracles with both of mine...she stayed a week with Isaiah and 2 with Roo...by the time she left I would feed at midnight they would then sleep till 4am...and then back up at 8am...Her plan: bath right before the midnight feeding, keep the calm after bath and midnight feeding done in the dark with only quiet voices, 4am feeding in the dark and no noise...after burped they went right back into their beds...with Isaiah he liked to listen to this bear that sounded like a momma's womb...roo hated the thing but loved to be swaddled in her blankets pretty good...:shrug: it was my mom I think lol...

Carla~.I have used wool of the andes and patons...I think patons works better...what about a bulky weight like lamb's pride? I've used the worsted for felting and it did a great job too...:happydance:

JamOknit~ YAY for cating on to the second sock...would love to see the hats you design too :happydance:

Jenny~ I agree with the others..it doesn't look bad at all...I'm having trouble with the ladders on this sock I'm doing... I'm not sure why :rofl:

Gina~ So sorry to read that you had to frog again!! :hug:

dotty~ :rofl: I know...sock yarn will feel huge to you after making the shawl lol...I use the options with lace work and the points are really good... I know addis is making a lace needle now but at the charity knitting last month they felt my options and thought they were pointer :happydance:

The.Knitter~ Gina is right once you join you can't leave :rofl:

Yesterday it was so nice but it rained pretty much all day... we had Ice on Monday...hight 60/70s yesterday...nice this morning...snow tonight :wall: ...I want spring lol...

I reached the heel of the sockamania sock...I decided to try the sherman heel and I couldn't wrap myself around what to do at all last night...but I kept getting interrupted...so maybe today I can get Roo interested in something enough for me to give it another try :teehee:

ever had a day that you just couldn't type? well today is my day so I hope this makes sense :rofl:

You guys have a great day of knitting :blooby:

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh nooooooooooo, I've been kidnapped by KH KAL Sock Club! OMG whatever will I do. I guess it means I will have to sit here and knit socks for the rest of my life. What a horrible tragedy that is going to be!!! I ... WILL ... TRY ... HARD .... TO ... GET ... AWAY! Nope, can't do it, just don't have the strength!

Oh well, I guess the solution is to pick up this sock and keep on knitting. I am going to go through my stash today and see what I can find to make socks with. I don't think I have anything suitable, but who knows...

Anyways, we all have our ups and downs and yesterday was mine. I was not good for much other than to sit here and knit. I did no cleaning at all. I just sat here and knit. I did not move too fast. I hate it when my ears go crazy on me! On the plus side, I am finished the gusset and heading for the home stretch with sock #2 for DH's Valentine present.

And life goes on.....

...dotty...
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes, oh yes, the.knitter.........the sock web draws you in, and then you're here for LIFE ! Sorry about the down day,........I know about those........glad you could just take it easy.
Tangle, that sock is gorgeous ! I think I'd still be wearing it.......love the colors, too !

Well, I may have found a way out of here. Internet costs $50.00 a month here, and all of the less expensive options have such complications and contracts ............yuk ! So, I may wait until the end of the month and see if Mike is approved for his disability payments. If not, it may be bye-bye outside world ! I don't mind tellin' you that that thought freaks me out JUST A LITTLE BIT !:noway: You guys are my FAMILY !
Dustina, the last time I did a Sherman heel.........a week ago on this worsted sock, I went ahead and put the two stitches onto the needle, one at each end, that you are supposed to wrap (from the instep), and separated them with a marker between them and the heel stitches, before I started the knit and turn stuff from the heel procedure. Does that make sense to you? It made it much easier with less 'pull' on those two stitches, and reminded me to knit them with their wraps as a last step. I think I may have still picked up an extra stitch or twisted those stitches or something, to make it look good and solid. Truth is, I wound up taking that heel out, too, and doing a heel flap the third time I knitted that heel ( I had made the cuff too tall and was going to run out of yarn on the second sock).

1to1
02-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Socksters,

The Pommaaotomus is almost to the heel. I'd like to get this finished before the 15th.

Dotty, one of these days I will try a small quilt just not ready to start that craft yet. To many things to knit and crochet first.:knitting:

Julie, my DD12 had to have someone sleep with her until last year. :sleepy:So I don't have any good advice for you.

Dustina, my LYS doesn't carry Lamb's Pride and I really want to buy from her. I will probably end up using Patons Classic Wool...I really like how my clogs felted with this. Let me know how your heel goes...I don't think I've tried that before.

Allusion, I love your baby socks. Baby socks are so fun to knit.

Gina, don't you hate that frog pond? :gah:

The.Knitter, what do you mean about your ears going crazy? I've had trouble with ringing before. Or maybe I missed what you're talking about.

Tangle, now you're ready for two at once? :wink:

Sock on,
Carla

tangle2007
02-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Carla, I was looking longingly at the two at once on dpn thread--but that is way out of my league at the moment!! I still don't have any circular needles, but maybe I should try that next.

p.s. I smile every time I see you write "sock on"!

dotty, thank you! I looked at your pictures in the link in your signature, and I love all the colors you use.

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
The.Knitter, what do you mean about your ears going crazy? I've had trouble with ringing before. Or maybe I missed what you're talking about.

Sock on,
Carla

I have a disease called Menieres Disease (you can look it up on the internet). When the weather changes fast, or sometimes just for no reason at all, I get symptoms. These are caused when the inside ear fills with fluid and "springs a small leak". Then the fluid on the inside of the ear drum meets the fluid on the outside of the ear drum and the two don't mix well. It causes ringing in the ears, buzzing noises, severe pain from the swelling, vertigo attacks (sometimes causing vomitting for several hours, one time eight hours straight), dizziness, nystagmus (rolling eyes), dropsie attacks (where you are fine one minute and the next you are laying on the floor and don't know how you got there), a feeling like someone is stabbing you in the ears with a hot poker (they don't give this a name), brain fog (for a while after an attack you can't remember much and all thoughts are confused), deafness and headaches.

I am fortunate enough to still have adequate hearing in my "good" ear, but they say the strain from not hearing well out of the "bad" ear will make the "good" ear go deaf eventually as well. I have that to look forward to.

All this is caused by a car accident I had in 1997. The woman who ran the stop sign, and hit me on the driver's door while I was driving, was much older and grabbed her chest, so I worried a lot more about her then I did about me. I did not sue her. I wish now that I had. I will pay for her mistake for the rest of my life.

This is why they have labelled me "disabled". I am not reliable. I can be fine one minute, and look fine, and function well, and the next minute I am worshipping the great white porcelain god. The worst time for me is when the weather changes rapidly as it has been doing for the last week. I HATE this so much!

I cannot even go out for a walk by myself because I "can't be trusted alone". I have to carry gravol (anti-nausea pills) and a cell phone everywhere I go "just in case". I cannot have a shower if I am the only one home because if water gets in my ears I hit the deck instantly, with no knowledge of how I got there. The first number programmed into my cell phone is 9-1-1.

I had a bad spell a year ago. I was walking from the livingroom to the bedroom. DH (who was a fiance at the time) was sleeping. He heard the noises. I did NOT. I apparently had a dropsie attack while I was walking. I fell first to my knees (causing much bruising and swelling) then to my elbows (breaking three ribs along the way, damned if I know how) and then my head bounced off the floor, TWICE (cracking the skull on my forehead). The second bounce is what brought me back around. When I got to the hospital, they sent the police in to "visit" with me because it looked like I had been beaten.

I'll be damned if I know why DH married me, knowing that I will never get any better, but I am grateful every day that he did! We will share our first wedding anniversary in April and for me it will be a very special day!!!

Anyways, I cannot work. The company I worked for fired me when they found out I was not going to get better (they got sick of driving me home after a spell).

I do not qualify for disability because my disease is not "recognized" by my government as disabling, yet the doctors and specialists all say I cannot work. It is very depressing.

I am grateful every single day for the fact that I can knit (when I can afford the yarn). I CAN make things with two sticks (sometimes four) and some yarn, because I can sit still to do so. I create happiness for my family members. It's the only thing I can do these days, and I sometimes do it for 10-12 hours at a time. I prove to myself that I am a worthwhile person, even though I am not reliable and cannot function "normally" in society.

1to1, if you have any symptoms like these DO NOT HESITATE; insist on testing! It could save your hearing. It is a frightening and frustrating disease because you look normal (except when your head is in a bucket). Some people think you are "faking to get attention". I have been accused of this several times, once by one of my own children!

Oh well, I did not intend for this post to be this long.

That's my story! Aren't you sorry you asked now?

Abbily
02-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Julie, how old is Caitlin? Is she napping enough during the day? Both of my girls slept HORRIBLY and woke up WAY too early if they weren't getting enough napping time and/or weren't going to bed early enough. If they got overtired, they couldn't calm themselves to get to sleep. I nursed/rocked/patted both of mine to sleep till they were about 6 months old, then started slowly getting them used to soothing themselves to sleep on their own. I did let them cry it out eventually.

Can you move the other two kids into one room together, until Caitlin gets used to soothing herself to sleep? That way you might not have the issue of her waking her sister up. Or, while she's in your room, let her get herself to sleep before you are ready to go to sleep, so that she's done with the crying before you are trying to get to sleep.

Just some thoughts, hope there's something helpful in there. :)

alleusion
02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Trust her...I've seen the pictures and the scar on her forehead. I had inner ear problems as a child and thank god daily that they've gone away. But like Knitter, when the weather changes rapidly, or there's a sudden drop in pressure (another reason I hate flying), it's not a happy fun time.

We have snow today. DH and I were outside last night when it started. He had a sudden craving for something sweet around 12:30am -- and I'm the one that's pregnant. I decided since I hadn't gone out waddling in a while, I'd walk to the store with him. The snow started while we were out, but didn't really start coming down until we were walking home. The flakes were clumping together before they hit the ground. I looked up into the light from a street light and well...it all looked kind of magical, ya know?

This is my first real winter, having grown up in Southern California, but I think I'm finally getting used to the snow. Unfortunately, I think DH forgot to set the alarm this morning, because I woke up an hour after he was already supposed to be at work. I hussled him into the shower and set out to tackle the driveway. FYI...women with 7 ish weeks to go till delivery really shouldn't be out shoveling snow. But the snow was soft and it went quickly. By the time DH got outside 20 min later, I was almost done. He finished up for me and off we went.

When I got home, DD came outside in her pj's (not winter sanctioned at all) and asked if she could help. All that was left was the steps, so I let her get dressed and do those while I looked on .....

http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/shoveling%20001.jpg

In knitting news, I've been "training" my size 2 circ to not curl up on itself all day yesterday. This morning, it looks like it learned it's lesson, so I'm able to CO for the socks I want to do now. The only problem is, I started something else while my circ was otherwise occupied. Now I need to finish this and it's match. It's a bootie, knit flat with a cable running up the top. I'm to the ribbing now, and it looks great. The first picture shows the stitch pattern, the second picture shows the colour of the yarn I'm using accurately.

http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/c_bootie%20002.jpg
http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/c_bootie%20001.jpg

One last question. What can I use on my poor dry hands? Knitting has been horid for the past few days because my dry dry fingers keep catching on the yarn and I've had to completely stop some projects because it just feels icky to knit like that. I've got some body lotion I've been using, but it only helps for a little bit.

Lisa1216
02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
The.Knitter:hug: to you for having to go through this. As an FYI~have you ever heard of Lifeline Systems? http://www.lifelinesys.com/. It is an emergency alert system that can alert family members or emergency personel if you are at home and having trouble. It is used a lot for elderly people who live alone, but it sounds like something that would be helpful for you. My MIL (who is 80 yo) has it because she lives alone and is prone to falling. She wears a necklace that has a button on it that she can push if she falls or is having some sort of other trouble and can't get to a phone. The system responds to her through a machine that is hooked to her phone. If she doesn't answer them, they notify 911 immediately. If she feels she's not hurt and can answer them, they start calling family members that are on a phone tree in their system. It isn't that expensive either. It's about $38 a month, but worth it for the peace of mind. The only draw back is if you have digital phone service and the power goes out. The system has battery back up, but with digital phones, you lose your service if the power goes out. We had to switch my MIL back to a regular phone service so she is never without it.

Hope your feeling better soon!

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I might look into that. Thanks for the info.

1to1
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
:hug:The.Knitter:hug:Thanks so much for sharing your story. I can't begin to understand all that goes on inside our heads. I did have testing done just so that they would have a basis to go off of if the ringing got worse. It finally stopped after months but I still get it every now and then and worry about how long it will last. But its nothing at all like what you live with.

G J
02-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Can't type much today. Thumb is very swollen & painful. No knitting.:wall:

I use Neutragena Hand CREAM. WORKS GREAT!

dustinac
02-06-2008, 07:29 PM
dotty~ :passedout: I'd be lost with out you...Have you checked out NetZero? Thanks for the tip on the heel...I did have to go back cause I thought instep? why the instep...and yes it was the instep :rofl: ...if I have 32 for my heel how do I know when to stop and go the other way? will it make sense to me if I stop reading and just try the crazy thing? :teehee: I'm wearing your one picture out with the links :oo:

Carla~what colors are you going to do? :happydance:

Where is Julie? :hug:

The.Knitter~ I'm so sorry that happened to you and you are now dealing with this...my grandmother has been tested cause she falls, gets dizzy, and has ringing...:hug:

Jenny~ Great picture of the snow and your daughter!! Next time get her up to help you :teehee: ...to help with the cable they say if you dip it in hot water that helps...pretty yarn too :happydance:

Gina~ :hug: I'm sorry you can't knit today!!

I have tried many lotions cause my hands and feet are awful this time of year...I can't even wear rings cause I get this awful painful thing under them...so far my wedding set hasn't done this to me this winter but my two thumb rings did... the best thing I have found is Gold Bonds Ultimate but it's pricey...so I picked up Curel Ultra Healing Intensive Moisture Lotion for extra dry skin with extra-strength skin hydrators...it cleared up my thumbs so fast...and Roo chapped her hands bad and it cleared it up really fast... it protects and heals for 24hrs...great stuff :thumbsup:

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
:hug:The.Knitter:hug:Thanks so much for sharing your story. I can't begin to understand all that goes on inside our heads. I did have testing done just so that they would have a basis to go off of if the ringing got worse. It finally stopped after months but I still get it every now and then and worry about how long it will last. But its nothing at all like what you live with.

Did you, before the ringing started, have a bad cold or an ear infection? Sometimes that will start ear problems. Also, throat infections sometimes cause ringing in the ears because the throat swells and cuts off the space the ear drum sits in. Give it some thought and see if you remember back to when it all first started. Then mark it in a journal so if a specialist asks, you have dates for him. They are very insistent about having dates.

I hope the tinitus (ringing) stays away for you. I would not wish ear problems on my worst enemy!

...dotty...
02-06-2008, 08:38 PM
The.Knitter, we are not sorry she asked ! We are one big family here and we all have our real troubles and our real joys. You are to be admired, and yes, hugged......:hug: .......for withstanding all of the trials in your life.

Dustina, I write down every step of my Sherman heel, since mine is never over the same amount of stitches as the original.
I make a little chart on paper that says (say I'm doing the heel on 32 stitches)

----------K------------------------------------ P-------
--30------ 28----- 26 ----------------29----- 27----- 25
---1----- --2 -------3 -----------------1 -------2 ------3
and, so on.

The top number is how many I knitted or purled (after slipping the first one) across, and the bottom number is how many stitches were left before the marker or the end of the needle.

Then when I get the heel or toe as narrow as I want it, I start the purl row where you purl two fewer stitches than were knit on the previous row. So my next chart looks like this........say I knitted 12 stitches on the previous row...
-----------P ------------------------------------K--------
--10----- 12----- 14 ----------------------11 -----13 -----15
---8 -------7 ------6 -----------------------8 ------7 -------6

The top number being the number of stitches I purled or knitted (after slipping the first stitch) and the bottom number being the number of stitches left after doing the encroachments. When there is only one stitch left after knitting the encroachment, you start back around the entire sock, knitting the wrap with the stitch on the two instep stitches that you wrapped.

(Hope these numbers stay in line like I typed them !)

Okay the numbers were screwed up, so I added the dashes !

dustinac
02-06-2008, 08:46 PM
:yay: Thank you dotty!! I'm off to try it Crossed Fingers

The.Knitter
02-06-2008, 08:55 PM
The.Knitter, we are not sorry she asked ! We are one big family here and we all have our real troubles and our real joys. You are to be admired, and yes, hugged......:hug: .......for withstanding all of the trials in your life.

Thanks so much! I hope your situation works so that you can keep your internet. To some of us, it is a lifeline to the outside world.

Thanks for including me in the family. It is so nice to have someone who, although they may not understand completely, supports me and makes me feel good about me!

Lieke
02-07-2008, 06:43 AM
Tangle, your sock looks really great!

alleusion, I think your first sock looks great and I don't see any mistakes. As for the ladder with ML, I've got the same problem. I try to ignore it and since I really liked my socks being finished at the same time, I'm doing a new ML-pair. I'll post here when I've got the answer to the ladders. I already tried the suggestion of Dotty, but it doesn't seem to work.

As for my socks, they are coming along nicely. I've made up my own pattern so I can't give you an idea of what I'm knitting with the yarn. I'll try to post pics soon. I'm really happy with my handdyed yarn, it was really worth all the effort of untangling.

jberry16
02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm here! Was out most of the day yesterday-dh was home then and today, yesterday was a vacation day. (when he's home he hogs the computer) Didn't get any knitting done. Today I need to work on making a pattern to cover the seat on my father in laws scooter seat, though I only want to knit.

Dotty: I understand, we pay $50 for internet too & I think that sucks, but we don't have a land line phone so we can't get it any cheaper. Try netzero or peoplepc or even walmart has their own access that I believe is based off aol and is only 15.00...there's lots out there that don't cost $50. & I'd really hate to see you go, you'd have to give us your phone # so we could stay in contact-mail is too slow. What I don't understand it the explination of the heel above, royally confused me-esp. the dashes and then when I read you put dashes to keep the numbers where they were I was still confused. I was blond as a child. :) I'm hoping to go to the fabric store today and look at fabric-the fabric for a sock bag shouldn't cost much, really only need 1/3 yard of each color-esp since most are 45" wide. I'm excited to try it (again). People don't understand when they see my socks in a Crown Royal bag-think I'm some drunk-then they see me with 3 kids under age 4 and I never have to explain. lol, jk.

Lieke: can't wait to see the socks.

The.Knitter: Dh said you should move here to New Mexico, the weather doesn't change as drastically as often. Glad you shared with us, my Great-Grandmother suffered a little from this. Though I was too young to know just how much it affected her & she had 6 kids (well 8 but two died before they were 1). The internet is my access to the 'world'.

Jenny, how is ms Emily doing? How are you after shoveling all that snow?

dustinac
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM

I am/was a blonde too... which is why I frogged that heel last night more times than I can remeber...and it was all cause of crazy mistakes...not slipping one...getting my count off... forgetting what I was doing :wall: ...I think I'm at the narrow part now and can start going the other way...:rofl:

I agree, The.knitter about the internet...having all family in another state...being a SAHM...being shy and not very social...the internet has helped me and I have made some wonderful friends...:hug:

Lieke~ Glad your socks are coming along nicely!!

Julie~ we used to go through that but now dh has us hooked up with 2 computers so we don't... although I hear are you on the knitting site? your slowing me down :rofl: ...

I'm behind on my schedule today... I don't like when I get it all messed up lol...so I'm off now to get somethings caught up..hope you guys have a great day of knitting!! :happydance:

oh mom went to a quilt shop on Sat and they had fabric with chickens knitting...so I checked at the Vac Shak yesterday and they have it ordered...mom is hoping for darker colors from them so she can come up with a cute quilt... I'll prolly buy some to add to my fabric stash that is just waiting for me to take some kinda class so I can use it... the closet in our room has shelves to the ceiling and it is stacked full of fabric...:rofl: I tell dh well if we ever get to where we can't go out or leave our houses I can knit and try to sew us something to use :shrug:

...dotty...
02-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh, Julie and Dustina........my explanation may have caused more confusion than help ! That's just what works for me.....put it out of your head if it doesn't work for you ! Be sure you haveCabezalana's explanation (http://cabezalana.blogspot.com/2007/04/sherman-short-row-sock-pictorial-tour.html) handy.......I use it more than the original Sherman Sock instructions.

dustinac
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh, Julie and Dustina........my explanation may have caused more confusion than help ! That's just what works for me.....put it out of your head if it doesn't work for you ! Be sure you haveCabezalana's explanation (http://cabezalana.blogspot.com/2007/04/sherman-short-row-sock-pictorial-tour.html) handy.......I use it more than the original Sherman Sock instructions.

Nope your post helped me a lot :thumbsup: ...I made the chart and would check them off...it was basically me just not paying attention to what I was doing :rofl:

alleusion
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Julie, thanks for asking! Ms. Emily is kicking away, happy as a clam where she belong (I never understood that...are clams reall as happy as they claim?). I had to shovel more snow this morning, until DH got downstairs and took over for me. I think I'm too anal about how the driveway gets shoveled. I prefer not to leave a thin layer of snow because when you drive or walk over it, it gets compacted into ice. I'm clumsy enough as it is, the last thing I need is to try and walk on ice. If you saw our driveway, you can tell where I stopped and DH took over.

I do however, have horrendous back pain...as well as pressure in the lower regions. I'm trying to get what exercise I can...walking with DH when he goes to the store for provisions, walking to get the mail, and such. So far, snow shoveling provides the most cardio workout...but makes the back hurt very much badly. I had a contraction this morning that could not be brushed off as a "fake" contraction or braxton hicks. It started low in my back and then low in my abdomen and finally, I could feel the belly tightening. It didn't last long and didn't come back, so I feel better now. I'm taking it easy today. Sitting on the couch knitting....in between going up and down the stairs with the laundry (hey I'm out of undies!).

I CO for the baby sock in DK weight last night. It's a tighter knit, but I like the way the yarn handles. It doesn't feel as delicate as the fingering weight. I can already tell it's going to be bigger. I'm using your pattern again, Julie, because it's the simplest and it looks great. My mom thinks the white sock I did is just adorable. I may have to break down and make it's match.

1to1
02-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Hi Socksters,

Dotty, Praying that you find a way to stay connected. I know that it is hard for you to get out but do you have a library close by?

The.Knitter, my GMIL has Menieres Disease and it has really affected her too. Yup that is what they called it…tinnitus. I’m sure I had something else going on cause I hardly ever go to the doctor. I’m not good with dates but I know my medical records show it. But I will pay more attention to it the next time it happens and see what is going on.

Here’s another thing I worry about…I listen to my iPod all the time even fall asleep with the ear buds. Its either that or have the TV on & with the iPod I don’t wake anybody else up. Will this affect my hearing? And try to explain why I don’t like the radio on in my van. I guess will all have our little quirks.

Carey, are you on Ravelry? Just wanted to check out your twinkletoe slippers.

Jenny, It is so cool to see pictures from Ontario. Is that you shoveling? I did the same thing when I was past due with my son. He was due Christmas day and I was shoveling the drive and going on walks everything to get things started. He wasn't born until 1/2/94…hard to believe that was 14 years ago.

You need to check out these booties (http://www.knittingdaily.com/?ET=knittingdaily_blog:e998:26111a:&st=email&utm_source=Trouble-Reading-S1&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=KE080206) over the right on the patterns side. Dustina, I thought of you when I saw these mittens.

Lieke, can’t wait to see your new design.

Julie, just wait til your kids are on the computer. They really eat up my computer time. I want a laptop so bad.

Dustina, knitting and computer time take me away from my motherly duties. The other day I was knitting and thinking I really should make a meal…instead I waited for kids to get home and asked what they wanted. They had Kraft Mac & Cheese and hot dogs.
With the Carie Lynn bag, I will probably stay with her colors but I keep changing my mind about what yarn. Patons, (Wool Pak or Cascade Eco Wool will have to be ordered).

I worked on my Pom and the Hemlock and even banged out my Feb Dishcloth last night. Had my Wed nite knit together and it is always fun to see what everyone is working on. We even have a guy in our group…he always came with his wife so he decided to join us in knitting. DD12 even went but she did homework…she doesn’t have time for knitting these days. Its amazing how close we all are …just like here. I don’t know most of their last names or where they work but we are all united in our knitting/crocheting.

Sock on,
Carla

alleusion
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Jenny, It is so cool to see pictures from Ontario. Is that you shoveling? I did the same thing when I was past due with my son. He was due Christmas day and I was shoveling the drive and going on walks everything to get things started. He wasn't born until 1/2/94…hard to believe that was 14 years ago.

Nope, I made my daughter take over by then and I grabbed the camera.

jodstr2
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
hello :hug:.
sorry I've been scarce. work has been crazy and I've been pretty dead by the time I get home :sleepy: :zombie:.
I hope all of you have been happy and healthy and cozy and have had time to work on your socks :hug:.
I hope to finish Jaywalker (first sock) tonight, but I always overestimate my progress :wall:.
I got to the end of the gusset decreases on Hedera and picked Jaywalker up again. I'm anxious to finish both of these so I can start Pomatomus. oh wait :doh: I have a Monkey pair to make for my GFIL's wife. I forgot.

alleusion
02-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Okay so, I finished the toe increases and am 5 rows into the body of the sock on the DK weight, size 2 needles. These are meant to be baby socks. I put the baby sock up next to the new one, and the size difference is...well...there's a difference. It seems all the socks I start are either too big or too small. There has to be a happy medium.

http://photos.alleusion.com/albums/userpics/10001/newsock%20001.jpg

fibrenut
02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
alle, I feel for ya hun. Sure would be nice if manufacturers actually got together and decided on standard weights for their yarns. I know the yarn council is trying but it's still not totally consistent. One mantufacturers dk is another one's worsted etc.
It just looks like the weight of the yarn is different than the one you used for the first sock. A little thicker. O well, ya'll can finish those blue ones and then have the wee one wear em when they are older.:guyknitting:

alleusion
02-07-2008, 03:50 PM
fibrenut - they are different weights. The white one is fingering (Bernat Baby) and the striped is DK (Bernat Softee Baby). I'm going out tomorrow and looking for some good sock yarn to make my mom some nice socks for Mother's Day, and I think I'll take a look at something for the baby as well. The fingering I used on the white socks seems thinner than the sock weight yarn I have that's actually supposed to be used for socks.

It's pretty confusing. One day I'll figure it out :p

fibrenut
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
:whistle: DOH!!! Yep, that splains it!!! LOL!!!
Fingering is gonna be a teeny weeny bit thinner than sock yarn. Lately most of the sock yarns have their own weight not really one or the other (sport or fingering) but somewhere in between.:zombie: Figuring all this yarn weight stuff is almost as bad as trying to buy ink cartriges for printers.

alleusion
02-07-2008, 04:07 PM
:whistle: DOH!!! Yep, that splains it!!! LOL!!!
Fingering is gonna be a teeny weeny bit thinner than sock yarn. Lately most of the sock yarns have their own weight not really one or the other (sport or fingering) but somewhere in between.:zombie: Figuring all this yarn weight stuff is almost as bad as trying to buy ink cartriges for printers.

And just as expensive.......

The.Knitter
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
OK, so where's the drum roll? My DH's Valentine Socks are finished. The grafting went MUCH better on the second sock than they did on the first sock. These things even LOOK like socks! WOW, I did it!!!

Sorry ladies and gents, my model is at work. These things sure as heck are not gonna fit me, so I laid them flat on the table to take a picture of them. First I stuffed them with water bottles, but that looked weird because the legs sat nicely but the feet were flat. Anyways, these pics will have to do!

Now for the pictures.....

fibrenut
02-07-2008, 07:35 PM
OOOOOOO knitter, them's perty!!!!!:thumbsup: :knitting:

The.Knitter
02-07-2008, 07:38 PM
OOOOOOO knitter, them's perty!!!!!:thumbsup: :knitting:

SHHHHHHHHH, don't tell him them's perty or I'll never get him to put them on!!! Thanks fibrenut.

:woohoo: I am a little pleased with myself right now!