PDA

View Full Version : Patons Pooch Yarn - Project ideas?

mrsmcg
01-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I got a great deal on some Patons Pooch yarn at a local discount store for just a $1.00 per skein.

It looks like it would knit up something fun & funky, but I am not sure what to do with it. Any ideas? I wasn't sure how much one skein would knit, so I got 6 skeins in the same dye lot.

The store had more of this yarn, so if I find some great suggestions soon, I might just have to go back and buy some more.

I haven't tried knitting with this type of yarn before. Any suggestions? Is it difficult to work with?

Thanks,
Colleen

knittingymnast
01-28-2008, 07:35 PM
post a pic of what it looks like

boo1
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
What about a baby beret with a ribbed band with regular yarn and have the top made from the Pooch? That would be REALLY cute!

Just a thought!

knittingymnast
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
what color is it? im on the patons site.

knittingymnast
01-28-2008, 08:10 PM
oh that would boo!

mrsmcg
01-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Here is a link to what the pooch yarn looks like.

http://www.patonsyarns.com/product.php?LGC=pooch.

I the skeins I got are purple sunset. The store had other colors -black sheep and pastel frost, I believe.

I don't really have a reason to make a beret - I actually don't know anyone who is pregnant at the moment.

bonstance
01-28-2008, 09:58 PM
A Patons Pooch garter stitch scarf I made was coveted by a lot of my friends, so I made a bunch in different colours - I used 12mm needles and two skeins for each, and they came out lovely. If you don't think of anything else, make a mindless scarf! You can't see any stitch definition, but because of the texture it looks complicated. :)

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I was actually thinking of doing a scarf, but I wasn't sure how many skeins it would take. I was also wondering if there were any ideas out there besides scarves. I didn't find a lot on the Paton's site. The rise or brim of a hat might be fun.

bonstance - How long was your 2 skein scarf? Is the yarn hard to work with?

Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Colleen

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 01:13 AM
I found a simple poncho pattern perhaps you might be interested in. It happens to call for six skeins of yarn too! Have a look and see what you think.....

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTponcho.html

:hug: Good luck!

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Thanks, the poncho looks fun. I recently make a poncho. I am looking for a way to be able to block it. Then I will take a photo of it to post.

I just signed up of Ravelry, so hopefully I will get an invite soon. :)

Here is a link to a scarf I have in progress.
http://flickr.com/photos/18199599@N05/2227332690/

Colleen

The.Knitter
01-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Here is a link to a scarf I have in progress.

Colleen

No link here that I could see.

Thanks.

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 01:35 AM
oops, sorry about that. I forgot to post the link. I edited my post to include the link... but here it is again.
http://flickr.com/photos/18199599@N05/2227332690/

bonstance
01-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I think I cast on something like 12 stitches on 12 mm needles, used two skeins and it was between five and six feet long and probably six inches wide. It took a bit of getting used to knitting with, as far as having all the bits sticking out, but I found I got into a rhythm fairly fast. I'm jealous that you got the yarn so inexpensively - the closest Michael's to me sells it regular priced at $6.99 per skein!

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the stitch/needle size info. I might give that a try.

If you have a store in your area called Big Lots give them a try. That is where I got mine. They had other types of yarn as well, at it all seemed to be $1.00 per skein. I felt like buying up all they had, but the paycheck wouldn't allow it.

bonstance
01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
No - I'm in Canada, so we don't have a lot of stores you do in the States... But thanks anyway!

I'm glad I could help you out! I hope whatever you make turns out well. :)

msoebel
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM
I was going to make dd a hat in this yarn...and abandoned it quickly. But the yarn looks pretty balled up on a shelf in a bowl with other "unpleasant" yarns.

Although this yarn was so pretty (I think I got the same color as you) I really disliked knitting with it. I quit after 15 rows. I just got tired of fighting with it.

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks msoebel for telling me about your experience with the yarn. I will give it try see how things go.

Colleen

mrsmcg
01-29-2008, 06:39 PM
I can see where it would be very challenging yarn to use to make a hat.

I had a go at starting a scarf. Here is a link to what I have done so far... (done on size 15 needles - the largest I have)

[URL="http://flickr.com/photos/18199599@N05/2229566368/"]

My stitches seemed to occasionally get tight as the loops in the fiber would get stuck under the front of the stitches. Not sure if there is really a way to avoid this. I would certainly hate to drop a stitch using this yarn!

bonstance - when you were finished with your scarf, how did you weave in the ends?

Colleen

bonstance
01-30-2008, 11:59 AM
mrsmcg - What I did to avoid the stitches tightening was to give a good tug on the finished part of the scarf under each stitch after each row, and sometimes the loops in the yarn holding the stitches too tight would pop down, keeping the tension more even. Hope that helps! Let me know if I did a terrible job explaining that... Ha ha...

As far as weaving in ends, I don't think I did anything special... :)

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 06:13 PM
good ideas, you guys!

rissa
01-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I think that yarn would make a great Urchin from Knitty.com! Along with a garter scarf it'd look wonderful!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTurchin.html

Sanibelle
01-31-2008, 11:42 AM
I bought some pooch last summer when it was $1.00 at Michael's too. I crocheted it around some flip flops and they turned out really cute. Here is a link to a website where she explains how she did it with fun fur - but you can do the same thing with pooch.
http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/Furry%20Shoes.html

After I wore mine - all my friends wanted a pair and I wound up making about 10 more. They are fun and fast to make!

jodi63755
06-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Colleen, I would LOVE to buy this yarn from you if you still own it. I live in MO and will not only pay for the yarn, I'll pay all shipping costs.
Jodi in MO:happydance:

I got a great deal on some Patons Pooch yarn at a local discount store for just a $1.00 per skein.

It looks like it would knit up something fun & funky, but I am not sure what to do with it. Any ideas? I wasn't sure how much one skein would knit, so I got 6 skeins in the same dye lot.

The store had more of this yarn, so if I find some great suggestions soon, I might just have to go back and buy some more.

I haven't tried knitting with this type of yarn before. Any suggestions? Is it difficult to work with?

Thanks,
Colleen

heatherg23
06-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I made 2 neckwarmers out of them and an ear warmer.