PDA

View Full Version : Sock Question

becjo
01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
I love knitting socks - I do them on DPN's - but I've been interested in doing them the circular needle method. I've found 2 different books that talk about knitting 2 socks at once on the circular needles - one with one needles (but I'm reading it has to be a LONG needle) & the other book talks about doing 2 socks on 2 circular needles.
What is the preference out there among you sock knitters? Do they all knit up the same way - stitches look good - easy to grasp? Is it hard to keep 2 skeins of yarn going & not getting tangled between the 2 socks? I'm really wanting to buy one of these books quickly - I'm tired of doing one sock & then having to do another one. I do wish I had them BOTH when I was done - that is a nice concept!
I was thinking about checking out my library to see if they had some books I could look at first - but I want to hear the voice of experience.
By the way - the one book I saw was "2-at-a-time Socks" (which is doing it with one needle) & the other book is "Knitting Circles Around Socks: Knit Two at a time on Circular Needles"
I wish I could afford both - but I can't - thanks for your help!:thumbsup:

Crycket
01-30-2008, 01:19 PM
I am a dpn fan. Something about all the compliments I get from non-knitters sets me a glow *smiles* "Oh look at all those needles...it must be hard"

Perhaps that is self serving...but I enjoy the attention some days...

dustinac
01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
I love my dpns...but I have been using magic loop a lot lately...esp if the pattern has colorwork...it seems to stop the ladders or weirdness you sometimes get with that...I have tried 2 socks on 2 circs once...had such a twisted up mess :teehee: ...I do have a dvd but haven't watched that to see what I was doing wrong...

Jeremy
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Silver has a nice toe up two socks at a time tutorial here
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

becjo
01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
That's what I'm afraid of too - having a wrapped up mess. But I think I could try & deal with it if I have two socks at once. I had even thought of doing two socks at once on two sets of DPNS - just switch between like every 5 rounds.....

PalmettoGirl
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
I haven't tried socks on 2 circs, but I am finishing up my first set of socks using Magic Loop. I loved it. I think it will be my preferred method. I haven't had any problems with the yarn tangling up. I also used Silver's tutorial for toe up socks.

Abbily
01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm doing the first sock of my first pair of socks right now on dpns, but I'm also doing two arm warmers one one circ (magic loop) and I LOVE it! I love that I won't have to worry about counting rows to make sure I get the stripes the same, I love that they will both be finished at the same time, and I love how easy ML is! The dpn's are kicking my fanny with all the little points in the way...

dustinac
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
That's what I'm afraid of too - having a wrapped up mess. But I think I could try & deal with it if I have two socks at once. I had even thought of doing two socks at once on two sets of DPNS - just switch between like every 5 rounds.....

:happydance: Yes, you could...Becka has been trying to get me to try this with my next pair of socks...she knits the cuff...then the cuff on the 2nd sock...then back to the first for the leg...and she just keeps switching back and forth...:thumbsup:

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
i love dpns. my nonknitting friends are like wow that looks realy hard to do you are really talented.

Mirl56
01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I do 2 socks on 2 circs. Love it!

I keep the 2 balls of yarn in quart size zip lock bags - this keeps them from getting tangled up.

I used a combination of these 2 sites to learn how:
http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html

There are other sites, too - just google it.

Also check your library for the books - they might have them.

No need to buy any books you can't afford when the info is at the library and on the web for free.

annomalley
01-30-2008, 06:59 PM
I've done socks on dpn's, 2 circs, and I'm currently working on one using magic loop. Of the three, I'm really liking the magic loop the best so far.