PDA

View Full Version : "sensible" knitting books

Lucy78green
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
We used to have a knitting magazine of my granny's from the 40's or 50's with patterns for the basics such as gloves, socks, pullovers etc. Unfortunately last year it went missing and we thing that it may have gotten lost among a pile of newspapers that went out with the recycling (bit annoyed as well as the adverts were also hilarious).
I decided I would like to replace it with a "sensible" book with basic patterns that can be adapted. The local books shops all have either a limited selection or ridiculous books full of stuff I would never make (a whole book devoted to tea-cosies?????) I did see "knitting classic style" by Veronik Avery on sale and was very tempted - but she lists specific brands of yarn rather than weight so I don't know if I would be able to adequately substitute. Has anyone else got it, do they like it??? I only had time for a quick flick in the shop... I also ordered Barbara Walkers "Knitting from the Top" from a shop in the US. Any recommendations???

Mystery_Gyrl
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Hello,
I do not own the book "Knitting Classic Style"; however, may I suggest the book "Sweater Workshop" by Jacqueline Fee. Knitpicks sells the book for around $20 dollars, you could also try a used bookstore or eBay. Another book you might be interested in looking into is "Sweater Design in Plain English" by Maggie Righetti. Both books give basic sweater design and work with different body types for a comfortable fit. By the way, if you want to "test drive" either book before buying one see if your local library carries either one of them. HTH.
Katrina

scout52
01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
I just received Knitting Classic Style for christmas from my little brother. I am planning to knit the a couple of the patterns. but I am planning to substitute the yarn by using the gauge

the patterns are really pretty.

Plantgoddess+
01-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I second the Jacqueline Fee book. I checked it out of the library and liked it so much I bought my own copy. I also found another book at the library I liked well enough to buy a copy for my own library.

annomalley
01-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I would also recommend the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns and the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns, both by Ann Budd. The patterns are based on your yarn, your gauge, and your measurements.

Jaxhil
01-30-2008, 09:42 PM
I have the book Knitting Classic Style as well, and I love it, though I have yet to knit anything from it. I second (third? lol) the recommendations for Jaqueline Fey's book Sweater Workshop, and Ann Budd's Handy Book of Sweater patterns. Ann Budd also has a book called (I think) Handy Book of Knitting Patterns-it has basics such as hats, gloves, mittens, socks, scarves, vests and even a simple roll neck sweater. I've been wanting to get it as well.

Good luck!

fibrenut
01-30-2008, 10:06 PM
O lucy, I feel yer pain. I used to have several of the huge McCalls Needlework and Crafts mags and well dang , I only have one left. I think we lost em on the move from Cali to Co a few years ago. I wish I had em back.

wholycow
01-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi,...although I've just rentered the knitting world,(and forgot everything I use to know..sigh..)I consider myself a novice knitter. However I've acquired quite a knitting library...my sorta dream knitting library. I found that SALLY MELVILLE does a bang up job of entertaining,as well as instruction,and some fab.fashion as well,and nothing 'over the top'..ex: as beautiful as vogue is, it's not for my lifestyle,which I am very comfortable with.:thumbsup: I liked her 'BOOK 1:THE KNIT STITCH, so much I also bought BOOK 2,AND 3..THEY IMO are classics.:knitting: knit on~

knitpurlgurl
02-01-2008, 09:52 AM
I just got the Maran Illustrated Knitting and Crocheting book. It's a GREAT book for beginners. It has info on how to do all of the basic things as well as stitch patterns and then basic patterns to practice the stitches. I LOVE it!

fibrenut
02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok, I know we all want the LATEST books, but some of the old ones are still the best.
Any of the McCall's Needlecrafts books for knitting.
The Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework is an excellent choice. Mostly because they show you options on stitches and how to do them plus designing tips on necklines, sleeves, finishing. etc. Just about everything you would need to know is in there. Not big on patterns but HUGE on techniques.

One set of books that I have been unable to find are the "Torstar" Needlecraft books. They come in volumes and cover everything from simple garter to designing your own garments. They have tons of patterns and techniques. But they aren't just knitting they cover tha gamut of all the needlearts.