PDA

View Full Version : OR "What'cha Not Knittin'?

Indygirl
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
I have a confession to make. I have started socks with many different yarns. I have tried the toe up and cuff down. I have only finished about 4 pair in the 6 years I have been knitting. I have all these on needles and some have been put away for years. I'm not sure why I do this. I love sock yarn and I really do like handknit socks. Does anyone else have this problem?

knittingymnast
01-30-2008, 09:41 PM
oh yah

dustinac
01-30-2008, 09:44 PM
:inlove: look at all the pretty sock yarns!!

I try really hard to finish one sock...start the next...this month I don't know what got into me...I had 1 sock here...another sock there...1 mitten there...1 glove there...I've decided to catch up and give them all mates before starting anything new...:rofl:

Jaxhil
01-30-2008, 09:49 PM
you are (definitely) not alone :-P

babsnelson
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I think this might be why I don't knit many socks. I hate to do anything twice - like mittens, socks, etc.

scout52
01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
ooh and that dark red one is SOOOOO PRETTTY!!! i haven't yet branched out to things that need pairs besides sleeves.

Indygirl
01-30-2008, 10:43 PM
:aww: I guess I'd just as well tell the whole story! Over the years I have really stocked up on sock yarn. What's in these pictures is not all of it. Yes I do have more:oops: I feel like I'm doing the Y.A.A.
So you see I really NEED to get on with knitting socks and finishing them.

auburnchick
01-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Tell ya what...

Ooooo laaaaa laaaaa!!!

Send some of that yarn to me, and I'll knit 'em into socks! No sss here!

:teehee:

yarnbee
01-31-2008, 12:31 AM
:roflhard:This is not a problem I have, but I have other vices. Just send those socks to me and I'll finish them. Of course, they probably wouldn't match because I'm a tight knitter.

I really do envy your stash! Have you thought about knitting two at once on 1 circ? I'm almost finished with my first pair after getting the new 2 at a Time Socks book. No SSS!

Indygirl
01-31-2008, 12:57 AM
:?? I guess I don't know what SSS is? I really love all my sock yarn. I don't think I could part with any of it at this time:teehee: sorry. You see, IT IS A SICKNESS :shrug:

Debkcs
01-31-2008, 04:04 AM
Well, Indy, sss is 'second sock syndrome'. Not wanting to start a second sock after finishing the first one.

This is one problem I don't have, thank God, but lots of folks do.

I ENVY you your sock yarn stash!

WandaT
01-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Ooohhhhh! What pretty yarn!!! Maybe we can shame you into using it! LOL

McKnitty
01-31-2008, 11:57 AM
I love your beautiful stash of sock yarn! As long as you are enjoying your yarn and the knitting, what does it matter? Finish it whenever you feel like it.

Suziblues
01-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Thats so funny! I have a lot of stuff 1/2 done too. A sock is one of them. A second glove is another. I guess I have that SSS thing. But I also have this sweater thats been waiting patiently in the basket for 6 months (maybe longer) to be finisihed. and a baby blanket.
I think it's so fun to start something new, with new yarn and new expectations and all that. By the time I get 1/2 done, some other pattern or yarn has caught my eye....
Knitting is suppose to be calming, right? So calm down and knit when the mood strikes. :heart:

tootie44
01-31-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh what beautiful yarn!! If you ever want to part with any I'd be happy to take some off your hands!!

I have the opposite problem. I only knit socks. I try to knit sweaters, ponchos, afghans, etc but they just don't do it for me like socks do. I never finish.

Indygirl
01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
:roflhard:This is not a problem I have, but I have other vices. Just send those socks to me and I'll finish them. Of course, they probably wouldn't match because I'm a tight knitter.

I really do envy your stash! Have you thought about knitting two at once on 1 circ? I'm almost finished with my first pair after getting the new 2 at a Time Socks book. No SSS! I took a class for the two on one needle. I didn't much care for it. I do like to use two circ. for one sock though.

astonh
01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
...I've decided to catch up and give them all mates before starting anything new...:rofl:

Yea, good luck with that. :roflhard: I tell myself that ALL the time and just like a New Year's resolution, it NEVER happens. :roflhard:

Indygirl
01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I love your beautiful stash of sock yarn! As long as you are enjoying your yarn and the knitting, what does it matter? Finish it whenever you feel like it.

I like the way you think:wink:

Indygirl
01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping :roflhard:
I will finish my socks, I will finnish my socks, I will finnish my socks. I didn't say when, but I will finish them some day:teehee:

nonny2t
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
At least you are brave enough to start them. I have yet to even do one stitch of a sock and I know I can do it, but I always make an excuse to make something else.

Mulderknitter
01-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping :roflhard:
I will finish my socks, I will finnish my socks, I will finnish my socks. I didn't say when, but I will finish them some day:teehee:
I say that to people all the time when they ask for a knitted gift. I will make it, but I wont say when. the knitting muse has direct oversight of what I am knitting. I have no control. If the muse wants me to make 18 mismatched socks, so be it. If she wants another garter stitch scarf because she is bored with the other WIP, so be it. \
I have learned, DO NOT TRY TO CONTROL THE KNITTING MUSE! she will retaliate with crappy knitting, I promise. I have a closet to prove it!:roflhard:

Knit4Fun
01-31-2008, 09:10 PM
Too funny, Mulderknitter...I am starting to see that you are right, o wise one! :)

miss_molly
02-01-2008, 12:30 AM
I really love all my sock yarn. I don't think I could part with any of it at this time sorry. You see, IT IS A SICKNESS

I can SO relate to that, Indygirl, but my sickness is the baby yarn version. Any yarn worth having for baby knits ... I have it! in every colour worth having .... I'll never be able to knit through it in a lifetime, and still I keep buying. :shrug:

yarnbee
02-01-2008, 01:26 AM
Thinking outside the sock, I'd say the solution to your problem is to wear mismatched socks. After all, they're your feet, and there are no sock police, right? :shrug:

Indygirl
02-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Thinking outside the sock, I'd say the solution to your problem is to wear mismatched socks. After all, they're your feet, and there are no sock police, right? :shrug:
Now that's an idea :roflhard: I might start a new trend.
The problem is I can't even get the first one finished though.

redheadrachel
02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
SSS is Second Sock Syndrome, where you knit one sock and just can't seem to knit the second one.
I've fortunately never had that problem. Once I finish a sock, I think, "YES! I get to do another!"

So if you're not getting the time to knit all that lovely sock yarn up, you could send it my way :muah:

Indygirl
02-01-2008, 07:37 PM
SSS is Second Sock Syndrome, where you knit one sock and just can't seem to knit the second one.
I've fortunately never had that problem. Once I finish a sock, I think, "YES! I get to do another!"

So if you're not getting the time to knit all that lovely sock yarn up, you could send it my way :muah:I don't think I have SSS. I can't even get the first one completed. I think once I finish the first one, I would be excited to do the other. I just lose interest along the way. I have completed a few pairs. Maybe :wink: starting this thread will give me the incentive I need to finish what I start. I can only hope.

Mulderknitter
02-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Indygirl, maybe just throw one of the socks in progress in a small bag and take it with you wherever you go. So if you are stuck in line, in traffic, at the dr's office, your car is broken down, etc, it's there. Maybe that way you can get a row a day done, and it won't feel like a chore?:shrug:

lelvsdgs
02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I like the way you think:wink:
I concur...

Indygirl
02-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Indygirl, maybe just throw one of the socks in progress in a small bag and take it with you wherever you go. So if you are stuck in line, in traffic, at the dr's office, your car is broken down, etc, it's there. Maybe that way you can get a row a day done, and it won't feel like a chore?:shrug:Thanks, That's a fine idea. I think about all the socks I have OTN's and it get's overwhelming.

jdee
02-02-2008, 01:47 AM
If you know another knitter, you can have them make the second sock.
I used to embroider designs on pillow cases, and I had the same problem with doing the second one in the pair, so one year, my sister and I got together, and each make one. Then we gave them as Christmas gifts from the two of us.

dawnk777
02-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I've only knit one sock in my life. It's mate is on the needles right now! LOL! So, I'm not quite in your position. I'm hoping to finish the 2nd sock before I buy new sock yarn. It's my daughter who is collecting sock yarn, but not knitting any socks! Although, she has made 2 pairs of socks for herself and one pair for a baby, to the one sock that I have finished.

Indygirl
02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I am almost finished with my dgd's clogs. As soon as I get those finished I'm getting back to SOCK'S. I'm telling myself, take one pair at a time and finish the one's otn and of corse the mate. Go to the next one otn and so on . I hope I don't make myself sick of sock's completely. If by any chance I do get any of these finished I will be posting them on here. I will not cast on anything else untill I have completed at least one full pair of socks.
HOW'S THAT? :teehee:

KnittingNoob
02-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Thats so funny! I have a lot of stuff 1/2 done too. A sock is one of them. A second glove is another. I guess I have that SSS thing. But I also have this sweater thats been waiting patiently in the basket for 6 months (maybe longer) to be finisihed. and a baby blanket.
I think it's so fun to start something new, with new yarn and new expectations and all that. By the time I get 1/2 done, some other pattern or yarn has caught my eye....
Knitting is suppose to be calming, right? So calm down and knit when the mood strikes. :heart:

I'm with you there! I think we can make a new illness: YADD
Yarn Attention Deficit Disorder
:teehee:

Indygirl
02-11-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm with you there! I think we can make a new illness: YADD
Yarn Attention Deficit Disorder
:teehee: I agree with you. :roflhard: That sounds like a great excuss for having all these UFO's in my yarn stash. I am going to get back on my cascade fixation socks today. I have a new friend on here that I made a deal with. She will finish her's if I finish mine. Here is what I have knit on it up to now.

KnittingNat
02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Maybe you could join us on the 2008 Year of the stash KAL (i don't remember if you're already there :teehee: ), then you'll have to finish all these UFO's.

Indygirl
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Maybe you could join us on the 2008 Year of the stash KAL (i don't remember if you're already there :teehee: ), then you'll have to finish all these UFO's.
Well that sounds like a great idea. Do I just go to that thread? or how do I go about that? I have about 8 first sock's otn's.

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Ok, this is a pair that was just about finished. I'm now on the fixation's and I have two cuff's almost all the way down. I am thinking I might get them finished this weekend. The ribbing is what takes the longest. It should go fast from here out.

Samsam
02-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I have the same problem as you, I must admit that. I have 3 socks going right now and I know I'll never finish them. I don't know why =(
I keep getting sock yarn but all I do is make a swatch and that's it. Now this really makes my mom sad because all she wants from me are socks and I tell her I'm working on them..but I just lose intrest. Yucky :pout:

knit2btied
02-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Indy,

Nice socks! You've got some steam going, don't stop now! :woot:

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 01:12 PM
I have the same problem as you, I must admit that. I have 3 socks going right now and I know I'll never finish them. I don't know why =(
I keep getting sock yarn but all I do is make a swatch and that's it. Now this really makes my mom sad because all she wants from me are socks and I tell her I'm working on them..but I just lose intrest. Yucky :pout: I started this thread in hopes it would give me the insentive to get going on my socks. It has help me some. I was really interested in trying the toe-up sock. I have some started that way too. I'm not so sure what my problem is. :shrug:

The.Knitter
02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I am going to get back on my cascade fixation socks today. I have a new friend on here that I made a deal with. She will finish her's if I finish mine. Here is what I have knit on it up to now.

Your "new friend" is on the foot part of sock #1 now. I had to frog the first sock because of laddering. How are you doing with yours Indygirl? Do you find you get laddering with the Fixation?

:hug:

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Your "new friend" is on the foot part of sock #1 now. I had to frog the first sock because of laddering. How are you doing with yours Indygirl? Do you find you get laddering with the Fixation?

:hug:
I'm doing fine with the fixation. I made the leg 7' and I have the #2 leg about 5' down. I try to get the rib out of the way first. No, I don't have ladders, I make sure I snug up between the needles. I have had before but not with this yarn :) Lets keep on until we get these babies finished :wink:

The.Knitter
02-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I pull the yarn nice and snug on each needle change, but am still having small ladders. It's driving me nuts. I only have one pair of size 5 dpn's so I have to finish one sock before I go on to the next one. I'm now at 5" into the foot. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be finished sock #1 and can go on to #2. We shall see! Keep up the good work and we'll compare notes in a few days!

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I pull the yarn nice and snug on each needle change, but am still having small ladders. It's driving me nuts. I only have one pair of size 5 dpn's so I have to finish one sock before I go on to the next one. I'm now at 5" into the foot. Perhaps tomorrow I'll be finished sock #1 and can go on to #2. We shall see! Keep up the good work and we'll compare notes in a few days!
Ok, I wanted to say I'm using a # 3 needle with my fixation. Maybe that's part of the reason. I also am a tight knitter.
I was wondering if you could crisscross the last st and the first st at each needle change from the two needles and then work them as normal. I haven't tried that but, it might sung up that ladder some.

The.Knitter
02-16-2008, 01:42 PM
It would leave a lump, which would be uncomfortable IMHO.

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 01:57 PM
It would leave a lump, which would be uncomfortable IMHO. Hummm, Maybe your right. I know I do that when I join in the round, It works great to hold the two st's together nice and sung. I just thought maybe every 4th row or so. Good luck! Happy knitting.

The.Knitter
02-16-2008, 02:22 PM
That is how I join too! I found it was the only way to not start a ladder at joining. I got that idea from Shandeh's YouTube video and it works well for me. If you feel where you joined though, there is a small bump.

I wish you Happy Knitting as well!

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
That is how I join too! I found it was the only way to not start a ladder at joining. I got that idea from Shandeh's YouTube video and it works well for me. If you feel where you joined though, there is a small bump.

I wish you Happy Knitting as well!
As soon as my DD. picks up my DGD. I am going to join two knitting buddy's. We are going out to eat and then knitting the rest of the day and however long we can stay awake :woot: . They have both knit for many years. I will see if they have any idea's on this ladder thing. They just called and said to bring any new knitting related things I might have. This will be a fun thing :woohoo: . They always have lots of new goodies too. I will be working on the fixation socks all the while :)

The.Knitter
02-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Sounds good, can I come too?

Indygirl
02-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Sounds good, can I come too? :teehee: That would be nice, wouldn't it. I'll eat some pizza for you :mmm:
These women always have lots of new and very nice yarns. I'm going to be so jealous :mrgreen: .....:wink: