PDA

View Full Version : KnittingHelp Monthly Challenge - February

Braden
02-01-2008, 09:48 PM
This month's challenge will be...

SHAWLS!

Shawls are extremely versatile projects. They come in a variety of shapes, styles, and can be worked with any yarn you please, from laceweight to bulky.

They can also be done in a variety of stitches, from lace to cables, and can be worked in any shape - circular, square, triangular and spiraled.

There are many patterns available from Knitting Pattern Central, Schoolhouse Press, as well as from many books.

I will be knitting Meg Swansen's Spiral Shawl, available from Schoolhouse Press.

Good luck, I'll be available every day to answer questions!

suzeeq
02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Ooooh, ooooh oooh! I just finished one of elann's patterns, have started another and bought a bunch of laceweight and fingering for some more. Some of which I haven't decided yet which pattern to use. I'll be checking in here to see how it goes.

redheadrachel
02-02-2008, 02:19 AM
Ahhh!!! I'm about to start a shawl in the next couple days! woohoo!

Moonlight Sonata Shawl

Dangles
02-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Ahhh!!! I'm about to start a shawl in the next couple days! woohoo!

Moonlight Sonata Shawl

Now that sounds like a very cool looking shawl. Bethoveen happens to be one of my favourite composers :)

dustinac
02-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Ok I'm in but ya'll are really going to have to stay on me... I want to get the Civil war shawl off my needles!!! :rofl:

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 08:26 PM
i am a music freak-o matic. where is the pattern for the moonlight sonata shawl? both my parents are musicians........lol

suzeeq
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM
It's here http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=206024

redheadrachel
02-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I just cast on yesterday for it :D It's fun!

Karina
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I am trying to work up the courage to cast on for a Adamas shawl. I have bought some lace weight Malabrigo yarn which I absolutely adore. still trying to figure out what all the little symbols mean

suzeeq
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
There should be a key for the chart... It takes a bit to learn to read them at first.

dustinac
02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
One thing I find that helps me with a chart...is color coding the symbols in the chart...that way I don't have to keep looking at the key...:thumbsup:

Karina
02-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks I will use that tip of colour coding. I still trying to figure out the stitches, have been watching videos on You Tube about Lace knitting. This will be a first for me, so will practice on some cheap yarn before I use the Malabrigo. Seems so delicate don't want to manhandle it to much.

redheadrachel
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Hey guys! This is my first shawl and my first big lace project. I have a question about the pattern in the Moonlight Sonata Shawl (pattern here (http://www.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=206024))

Body of the shawl:
For the first R1 - R12 sequence, repeat *( )* 3 times. The edging sts and center stitch are in Bold print. Stitch counts are for successive repeats of R1 - R12.

How many times do I repeat *( )* for the subsequent repeats of the pattern?

suzeeq
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
At the end of the 12 rows it has this note - "Repeat R1- R12 nine more times, or additional times for the desired length, working additional sts into pattern repeats as established." You work the new sts into the pattern by doing more repeats of what's between the ** according to how it fits the pattern. I think by the time you've done the 12 rows you should be able to figure it out.

redheadrachel
02-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Here's what I've got so far with my Moonlight Sonata Shawl in Alpaca Sox :woot:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0201.jpg

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0202.jpg

Debkcs
02-09-2008, 04:19 AM
That's really pretty, Rachel. I see that you put in some life lines, smart thinking!

redheadrachel
02-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Thanks! I used Amy's tip about putting the life line yarn into the little tightening hole on my interchangeable needles. The life line goes in as I knit :) This method works well for me because I use two life lines. That way if I mess up on the row as I'm knitting the life line in, I still have a point I can frog back to.

I KNEW I would love lace knitting! It was really hard for me to get through that first 12 row lace pattern repeat; it took three and a half tries or so. Once I worked through it, though, I understand it a lot better and it's going fairly quickly now :)

labeelady
02-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I've been working on Kathy's Clover-chain Shawl from "Wrapped in Comfort". The yarn I'm using is Meredith Bay from Patternworks in a lovely purple color. I've got quite a bit done on it, am now in the second repeat of the pattern (there are 28 rows in the chart and you repeat them twice). The bottom edge has 12 rows which are not charted like the Yoke and the Body are. :sad:

WshUpnASta
02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I have never done any shawls. But I did do the BSJ that was on my list for last month. Its all sewn together and even has buttons on it.

Braden
02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi everybody! I'm sorry about not being here in so long, and I haven't even started on my spiral shawl. I've been sick, I've had to help coordinate spiritual emphasis week at school, and I just haven't had time. It's been a very hectic month for me.

knittingymnast
02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Redheadrachel, that's really REALLY pretty!

redheadrachel
02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay I might not finish while it's still February because I'm knitting three pair of socks for gifts. But I will have it finished in the first half of March! :) Let me know what you think...

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0410.jpg

merryknitter
02-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Rachel,
You are doing a great job! I love the color and the pattern. You're doing great with lace...I knew you would...the way you knit all those socks...LOL! Keep us posted on your progress!

suzeeq
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Oooh purty! Of course I'm a sucker for blues and greens, especially together....

redheadrachel
02-27-2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'm going to try my haaaaardest to get it done in the next three days... lol wish me luck!!!

sakura-panda
02-27-2008, 12:01 PM
That's so pretty, Rachel! :inlove:

I bought yarn but I think that's as far as I'm going to get on a shawl this month. :rofl:

dustinac
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Rachel so pretty!! :yay:

:rofl: I made it to Rnd 123...I know I won't finish...This was taken on Rnd 120...just gotta make it to Rnd 161 and then I can do the edge :happydance:

suzeeq
02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
oooooh, very pretty!

sakura-panda
02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Dustinac -- that is a beautiful shawl! I love the color and the pattern!

redheadrachel
02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Dustinac, that's gooooorgeous!

dustinac
02-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks everyone!! I have put a lot of time in it and really wish I could finish it. The rounds just take so long now it's hard for me to get an hour undistracted to work on it. I stayed up late one night but then my mind wasn't as fresh :rofl:

It's The Civil War Shawl (http://fibermill.yurtboutique.com/shawl2.htm)and the yarn is KP's Shadown in Vineyard Heather

redheadrachel
02-29-2008, 02:51 PM
It's the last day... I WILL PREVAIL!

ETA: I'm halfway through the picot bind-off... it's taking FOR-EV-ER! I'll probably be done within the next hour and a half.

redheadrachel
03-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Finished my February shawl with two hours to spare! :woot: Yay! I'm about to wash and block it now, but here's a pre-blocking photo!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0428.jpg

suzeeq
03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Yay! I've been working on elann's Sun Ray shawl using TLC essentials in Rust. And getting sidetracked on many other things. But I may get it done in a few days, I think I'm on the last repeat. I'll have to get a lesson on how to use the camera, then how to get the picture to the computer then how to upload to the site. That may take longer than knitting the shawl....

redheadrachel
03-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Ahh! So I just finished pinning my shawl and I absolutely love it! Blocking does wonders for lace (of course... but just needed to restate that because I personally feel like it would be difficult to overemphasize the importance of blocking ANY garment) and I couldn't resist showing! Okay, and even though the garter stitch edge took several hours and the picot bind-off alone took over two hours, I loathe to admit... it was totally worth it! The edging looks SWEET :D Hurray! I'm so glad we picked this for the February project!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0429.jpg

dustinac
03-01-2008, 12:07 PM
:inlove: so pretty!! You did a great job, Rachel :yay:

Suzeeq~I can't wait to see yours!!

Mine is still stuck on Rnd 123... I haven't gotten a quiet hour to work on it :rofl:

Arielluria
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I've already started a very simple (rectangular) shawl from Lionbrand.....I just need to use up some old Homespun :eyes:. So I guess I'm in. Not a very exciting shawl, but there it is.....

It's the Comfort Shawl (http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/60085A.html) and I'm doing it in 2 colors:

http://www.lionbrand.com/stores/lionbrand/pictures/60085aa.jpg

mimi
03-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Rachel, I have been watching your progress and your shawl came out just perfectly. You should be very proud of yourself. Now what is your next project?!

redheadrachel
03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
lol I don't know! I'm working on some socks as gifts and I'm working on two socks at once on DPNs, but I'm just practicing and I'll have those done in a couple days. Maybe the March KAL will be something fun? (Are we gonna have a March kal?)

WshUpnASta
03-02-2008, 08:10 PM
lol I don't know! I'm working on some socks as gifts and I'm working on two socks at once on DPNs, but I'm just practicing and I'll have those done in a couple days. Maybe the March KAL will be something fun? (Are we gonna have a March kal?)

Is there a new thread for March?

redheadrachel
03-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Is there a new thread for March?

Not yet... *hopes*

Arielluria
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I made that and LOVED it. I got to wear it to church this weekend. Fun!

Arielluria
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I joined this KA wayyyyyyyy too late. I posted on 3/1!!!!!!!!! LOL. Oh well, how time flies! Guess I'll check out what the march KA is!