PDA

View Full Version : 2 socks at once using DPNS

lactosefree
02-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I've always wanted to try knitting 2 socks at once using DPNS as described in this article on Knitty:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

Does anyone want to do a knit along together using this method?

auburnchick
02-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I actually might like to join around the end of the month, when my classes will be over. Great idea!

knittingymnast
02-02-2008, 01:05 PM
i will! sure!

lactosefree
02-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi Nathalie and Rosalie,

Thanks for responding! I would love support from others while doing this project. Rosalie, when did you want to start? I have some sock yarn sitting around and would just have to sit down and pick a pattern.

Yay new project!

mwhite
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: This is that round of applause for all three of you and I really want to try this just don't know if my brains and hands can stick together through this and tax season... I might not get to join in with sticks but will definitely be watching cause I wanna be able to do this! Mary

You know what's really cool about this is being able to do two sleeves, socks, etc... at the same time and have them match perfectly without having to remember how many rows... Love this whole concept!

lactosefree
02-05-2008, 03:45 AM
I have my yarn picked out and the instructions printed. I am going to attempt to cast on tomorrow. I will post pictures as soon as I find my camera upload cable. Anyone else joining in?

Karina
02-05-2008, 06:28 AM
This is why I love knitting Help. You get so many new ways of doing things that you would not have thought of your self. I love this idea especially with regards to sleeves. I think I will start with a practice session and than if all goes well move on to Socks.

cookworm
02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
:thud:
Oh my gosh!!!! I had NO IDEA you could do socks two at a time on DPN's!!!! :notworthy: That's AWESOME!!!! Thanks so much for posting this!!! I don't know if I'm ready to do a KAL (I'll have to really study this method), but I'm psyched about this new prospect of knitting two socks at once on DPN's. I've tried looking magic loop on line and I just can't understand how to do it, so this technique will hopefully open up a whole world to me.

If you all wouldn't mind posting your progress, I'd love to hear about it. I'll just be the silent stalker. :teehee:

oneyarn
02-05-2008, 07:15 PM
I think this would be great to learn. I got some new dpn's from a friend along with sock yarn and hated the thought of doing 1 sock at a time. I love doing 2 socks at once with magic loop, but always ready to learn something new.
Knitting along together will definitely be a plus.
Thanks, Susan for posting the site. I am going to print out the instructions and practice casting on.

lactosefree
02-06-2008, 03:14 AM
http://lh5.google.com/susanyoo/R6lZVcUydzI/AAAAAAAAASg/w5OjE1R8PrY/s400/socksdpn.jpg

I went against all good sense and decided not to use 2 different yarns. I'm biting the bullet and trying this with the same yarn so that in the end I will have a matching pair. I know I'll be regretting this, I know that I'll be ripping it out multiple times, but I figure hey - why not think big.

So far I just finished setting up. The directions are printed, the yarn is separated into little baggies in my desperate attempt to distinguish between the two yarns, and I have slipped on my 2 cast on stitches.

Next up is attempting to DK cast on. Wish me luck!

------
Update:

I couldn't sleep so I figured I may as well get up and start the cast on. It was surprisingly easy once I figured out what the article meant by spin the needle 180 degrees - you simply flip over the needle. It's now it's 1:49am CA time and I have got to get some sleep.

http://lh3.google.com/susanyoo/R6mAC8Uyd0I/AAAAAAAAATA/3bwG72a1aMk/s400/caston.jpg

oneyarn
02-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Great pictures of your start. Like the way you have everything set up for using the same yarn. (I haven't decided if I am going to be as brave as you and not use 2 different yarns.)
Looking forward to "watching" you knit on. I will be casting on this afternoon.

redheadrachel
02-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I would most definitely like to try, but I probably won't be able to cast on for them for a couple of weeks or so. I'll check up on your progress to see how it goes and maybe get ideas. I'm confused as to how the decreases will work...
:notworthy:

McKnitty
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I read over the article, several times, and my poor little brain just can't seem to grasp this technique. I will be watching this KAL with great interest and will hopefully learn something. I'll be cheering you on!

lactosefree - I'm curious about your name. Are you lactose intolerant? About 6 months ago I found out I am severly lactose intolerant, and it has been such a hard adjustment. I need a mentor!

lactosefree
02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for all your encouragment everyone! :)

McKnitty - Yep, I am severly lactose intolerant and have been for all my adult life. The secret lies in the lactase enzyme. Lactaid is the brand-name that is most common. Places like Walgreens, Target, etc have their own generic brands. Just make sure that you read the box and it says 9000 FCC Lactase Units per pill. I buy mine at Costco since I've found it to be the least expensive. It's 180 pills for $15. It's Kirkland brand and it's called Fast Acting Lactase. You swallow one with the first bite of food and you're good to go. One pill usually last me one meal.

A truely lactose intolerant person (vs. someone who is allergic to milk, or would get better by building up the enzyme) is when the body doesn't or can't produce the enzyme to break down the milk sugar found in dairy. This happens in when the food hits your small intestines. The pill that you swallow with your meal provides your body the enzyme that you would have secreted if you weren't intolerent.

I have adopted the phrase 'hmm... is this lactaid worthy?' when I eat food. It can get costly but the box from Costco lasts me about 2 months. I carry a supply of lactaid with me wherever I go. My friend once said to me that I carry lactaid like a man carries condoms. Hilarious.

McKnitty
02-06-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't mean to take away from the awesome 2-socks-on-dpns' KAL, but I want to say 'thanks lactosefree'. I only know two people who are LI, and they both have a very light case of it. Unfortunately I have tried the Lactaid pills without any luck, so I've completely given up all dairy. I really miss pizza and lasagna! :pout:

lactosefree
02-06-2008, 06:10 PM
McKnitty - Don't give up! Are you sure the pills you took were the 9000 FCC's of Lactase Enzyme? The other one are not high enough in dosage for me... especially the chewable ones and the ones where they make you take 2 at a time. I am severly intolerant to the point where I can't even have a pat of butter on my bread and the pills work. I have also come to absolutely love soy milk and alternative vegan items. Living in the SF bay area there are tons of choices for me in terms of non dairy foods. Amy's is a company that makes organic foods and there is a fantastic frozen lasagna (individual sized serving) made with soy cheese. I'd be happy to talk to you about all this if you want to PM me.

Sock update - I have successfully moved my cast on stitches onto 4 dpns and have knit all the way around once. Now i'm onto purling the next round. I think I'm going to attempt a k2p2 leg for the sock after these first two 'test' rounds. Will post pictures tonight when I get home from work.

oneyarn
02-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Well I wasn't brave. I ended up casting on with 2 different colors of yarn for my test socks. Also maybe it's cheating, but I am doing little socks to get the technique down.
Got my k1,p1 rib done and a couple of plain knit rows finished. It's really sort of fun to knit this way. But I admit it might be easier to go with bigger socks.

lactosefree
02-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Oneyarn - your sock looks fabulous! :cheering:

I just got home from dinner and so far I have an inch or so knit in k2p2 ribbing, but I've decided to unravel and start over.

When I followed the directions from the article I didn't realize that the # of cast on stitches was for learning and I wouldn't end up with a 'real' pair that would actually fit! I should have realized when there wasn't a gauge or foot measurements! :pout:

So I'm going to figure out the gauge for the yarn I'm using and recast-on with the appropriate number of stitches.

-----

Update:

I've figured out the gauge for my yarn and have determined the number of cast on stitches required. I hope to be done with my cast-on and first few rows tonight.

lactosefree
02-07-2008, 10:49 PM
http://lh3.google.com/susanyoo/R6vB2cUyd2I/AAAAAAAAAUU/Rjgdx11O6ug/s400/socks.jpg
I have recast on with the appropriate stitches for my gauge for adult sized socks and this is what I have done so far.

I have come to realize though that knitting socks this way turns out much looser. The article actually suggests knitting with smaller sized needles just for this very reason, but of course I didn't really read that carefully until just now.

Oneyarn - how are you holding your working yarn? I'm attempting to hold both yarns with one hand, but it's not going as smoothly as I would like. I tried to hold one in my right and the other in my left but am finding that a bit awkward.

knittingymnast
02-08-2008, 11:39 AM
i tried to co but its hard....ahhh!

lactosefree
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Rosalie - You can do it! The biggest problem I had when casting on was figuring out what 'spin your needle 180 degrees' meant. Which part did you get stuck on? Maybe I can help. I'll try to explain the cast on:

When you cast on you'll be holding the needle up and down so that the two points of the needle are facing North and South.

Put your two slip knots on the needle. Yarn A's slip knot (with the working yarn on the right side of the needle) should be put on the needle first so that it sits below yarn B's slip knot (with the working yarn on the left side of the needle). (Took me a minute to figure that out cause in the article it doesn't show you which color yarn is which letter in the example)

Now make your first cast on stitch with color A and put it on your working needle on top of your current yarn B so that now you have three stitches A, B, A on your needle. Make sure the new stitch you just put on your needle has the working yarn hanging off the needle on the right side. (Your one B stitch still has the working yarn hanging from the left side)

Ok, you're still holding the needle up and down in the same position. Now you're going to flip your wrist to the left so that the working yarn from yarn A is now on the left and the working yarn from yarn B is on the right. Knit with yarn B and put that new cast on stitch on top of the stitch you just made with yarn A.

Flip your wrist back to the right so that all the working yarn from yarn A is on the right again and the working yarn from yarn B is back on the left side of the needle and make a cast on stitch with your yarn A.

Keep going slowly back and forth until you have cast on the total # of stitches that you want. In the end it sorta looks like a caterpiller.

oneyarn
02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I am holding my yarn this way---
"front" yarn with my right hand
"back" yarn with my left hand
I tried the little thimble thing that seperated the yarn for you, but could not figure out how to get tension on my 2 yarns that way.
Today at work I turned my heel and got my gusset done and now just knitting on the foot.
It looks really good but since my socks are so tiny I didn't notice I had forgotten to loop back to the front a couple of times on the leg of the sock.
I don't feel I can drop the stitch and get rid of the loop since my heel is already done. I don't think I can fix them. Bummer.
But making these socks even with that mistake has made me want to go forward with "life size" ones. I think I can catch the problems easier.
Here's my tiny socks with the heel turned...

lactosefree
02-08-2008, 07:05 PM
One yarn - Your sock looks fabulous! :yay:

What's the little thimble thing that separates yarn for you?

I have a little over an inch done of the leg and I feel like it's taking forever! I will try to separate the yarn into both hands and see if it's any easier. I can't wait to get to the heel!

oneyarn
02-08-2008, 07:48 PM
The thimble thing is by Clover and they call it a yarn guide.
It didn't work for me. You might have better luck with it and tell me what I am doing wrong. I found just holding the yarn in different hands worked great for me.

lactosefree
02-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I am an English knitter, so I figured if I'm going to knit with both hands I better watch a how to Continental knit demonstration. I watched the one here on this site and another from uTube and I gotta say - It's so much more efficient!

I just finished knitting 2 rows with my front yarn in my right and my back yarn in my left as Oneyarn did and it's much easier than holding both of the yarns in my right hand.

Has anyone ever switched from knitting English syle for many years to Continental? I'm having the hardest time keeping the tension as I'm Continental knitting, but I guess it's like learning how to knit for the first time. Practice, practice and more practice!

lactosefree
02-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I had no idea such things were made. I will look for it in the store. In the mean time, I'm going to practice my Contiental knitting.

lactosefree
02-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Ugh I'm so frustrated! :gah:

I discovered two different spots where the 2 socks collided on the leg. I tried to fix it by using a crochet needle as stated in the article, but in the end the yarn won. :sad:

I have completely unraveled and will start again. I've decided that the silver lining in all this is that I can now use a smaller needle to get the correct gauge.

*sigh*

lactosefree
02-11-2008, 06:39 PM
I have re-cast on and I'm going to make sure it will be my last time. I'm being very dilligent making sure there aren't any mistakes before moving onto the next needle. So far I have 10 rows done in a k2,p2 rib.

Needle: US 1 (2.25mm) dpns
Yarn: Regia Silk Color - Colorway 190... I got it on clearance at my LYS this summer :)
Cast on #: 64 for each sock for a total of 128

I will post a progress picture when I'm done with the leg. It may take me the better part of this month.

Oneyarn - are you done with your sock? I'd love to see a picture.

oneyarn
02-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Still working on the tiny socks, but have regular size ones going on some other dpn's.
Will post a picture later this week.

knittingymnast
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
i kept knitting the 2 socks together somehow......:pout:

Mike
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I guess I'm in on this by accident.
I've got it started but I don't know how fast I'll be doing it. I mainly started it to practice for a double knit hat I just finished.
For all I know the yarn might be too big, Lion Wool on #4/#3 so it may never get finished.

Holding the yarn is also giving me problems. Continental with the inside sock and English with the outside sock is slow and confusing.
On the double knit hat I was keeping both yarns together and it didn't stick together (except for the color changes naturally) so I think once I get some length I'm going to go to a 1 hand/2 finger hold dragging both strands forward and back together.
Either that or I'm going to have to try k1 s1 then k-the-other-1 s-the-other-1.
All I know is 2 hands isn't giving me joy.

I did the cheat cast on the page lists. I liked it so much that's what I used for my hat ... and the 2nd time I redid the sock ... and the 3rd time too.
(First time knitted the cast on together, second time didn't trust that they weren't stuck together. I smell 2 more restarts in my future when I try the different ways :) )

I also used the same colors.

I think I'm only 2 or 3 rows into it because I've got other stuff I want to do or want to get out of the way before I get two floppy skeins (one thing is to make a knitting bag to hold 2 skein projects).

lactosefree
02-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Yay another fellow knitter doing the 2 socks in one! :)

I am having the same struggles as you are with holding the 2 yarns. I tried to strand both on one finger and it drove me nuts trying to separate the two.

Oneyarn told me about the Clover Yarn Guide, so I went to my LYS and bought one. It's very handy, but it's still not the ideal having to swinging the yarn back and forth between the two socks.

So now i'm knitting with one strand in each hand since it seems to be the most efficient to me, but I am not a continential knitter by nature - so it's going verrrry slowly.

I can't wait to see everyone's progress! :cheering:

lactosefree
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
i kept knitting the 2 socks together somehow......:pout:

Hi Rosalie,

After you cast on, before you start knitting, make sure that the yarn that you'll be knitting with is the same color as the first stitch that you'll be knitting into. Then, when you're done with that first stitch, make sure you move the yarn to the front and then knit the second stitch with the same color yarn as that second stitch and keep that yarn in the back. I hope this is helpful.

knittingymnast
02-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Susan, although I think I just need to focus on something simpler. Its making a wreck out of my brain! :eyes:

Mike
02-20-2008, 11:58 PM
You took me away from my sweater to mess with the socks again.
I tried 2 strands, 1 hand, 2 fingers. It worked better this time but I ended up using my thumb often to hold the front yarn.
That made holding the needles a little difficult but I at least got a rhythm swinging the yarn.

I didn't have a problem keeping them separate when doing the hat even when I got down to 12 stitches and I couldn't use 2 fingers any more, but that was 2 different colors. I guess the hat was practice for the socks.
I saw one of those thimbles but I figure I can make something like that if I figure out how to steer the yarn around with one finger.

I figured out before trying it why the strands can't stay together all the time. If the backside gets knitted after the front strand gets there it's crossed over and locked in with the stitch.
So that's one restart I don't have to do. Now that I'm thinking about it, missing that part of the instructions was the cause of one of my restarts.

I also tried the k1 s1 p1 s1. It worked but it wasn't fun or any less confusing. At least I only had to do 1 needle's worth.

I had a bridge that I fixed with a crochet hook. For not getting very far I at least feel like I accomplished something.

This is my progress.

Mike
02-21-2008, 12:04 AM
How about a double knit hat, knittingymnast? That seemed to be a good primer for me.

Here is my fingering method (wrapped around pinky like in the double-knit video).
1. Far strand knit
2. Near strand knit
3. Far strand purl
4. Near strand purl

Karina
02-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Hi Mike, There is a double knit video? could you post a link Thanks

Mike
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
It's on the Advanced Knitting Techniques section of this website. The View Videos link is at the top of the pages here.

lactosefree
02-23-2008, 03:09 AM
My socks so far:

http://lh4.google.com/susanyoo/R7_F6ha6LKI/AAAAAAAAAZc/jZPQ8e7iCJ4/s400/2in1dpn.jpg

It's been slow going, but I think I finally got the rhythm of knitting continental and english at the same time. I'm trying to decide how long I should knit the leg before I start on the heel.

momwolf
02-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Ok this sounds cool,I'm picking up my needles and joining this one right now:woohoo:Only got a couple hours then I'm going out to lunch but will check in later:woot:

feministmama
02-23-2008, 03:14 PM
y'all are so brave!!!! I love watching yer progress and I'm just here to cheer you on :cheering::cheering::cheering::cheering: GO TEAM!!!!

Mike
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
I just got beyond the ribbing (which the pattern gladly only calls for 2 1/2" of).
It's taking a while to get used to the new rhythm but it's going much faster. And I haven't knitted the socks together making the switch. :cheering:

redheadrachel
03-01-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm about to cast on... starting... now!

Mike
03-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm about to cast on... starting... now!
Good luck.
I think starting is the hardest part (of course I haven't got to the heel yet :) ). Once you get it going it's pretty easy to see which strand goes where.

knit2btied
03-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Since I'm in the middle of a pair of socks, I'll sit this one out but subscribe to the thread so I can follow your progress! Go everyone!

redheadrachel
03-02-2008, 12:59 AM
IT WORKS!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w184/RedheadRachel/DSCN0438.jpg

lactosefree
03-02-2008, 02:13 AM
It's so wonderful to see and hear everyone's progress.

I have temporarily put the socks on hold. Right now I'm in the middle of a fair isle bag and 2 other gifts, but once those are done I will pick the socks back up again.

You guys are inspiring me to get back to the socks! :thumbsup:

Karina
03-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Haven't had a chance to cast on yet, but have bought the yarn and seen the pattern that I want to do. Its a pair of high socks from Garn studio http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=104&d_id=9&lang=enudio . I was wondering how you would go about doing K2tog when you knit sock this way?

Mike
03-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I was wondering how you would go about doing K2tog when you knit sock this way?
This is the way I did it with my DK hat.
You have to slip the first side B stitch (or in this case sock B) onto another needle to rearrange your decreases BB AA instead of BA BA.

You could probably temporarily drop it but I feel safer using something to hold it.
I think the original link drops it after the decrease and picks it back up but I didn't look at that part too close.

redheadrachel
03-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah my socks I'm doing now are just for practice... and it's good to know that Knitpicks Essential and Universal Yarn's Pace DO NOT knit up to the same gauge. lol After only like ten rows, the Pace socks is significantly shorter than the KP!
This is also my first short row heel. I think once I get the technique down I'm going to be a DK master :D

Mike
03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
We're a talkative bunch aren't we? :)

I'm only an inch away from starting the heel flap (or short row if I decide to do that method). Too bad I don't like shorter socks.

So far I've only knitted them together the one time. But I did purl a knit when I changed to my KP DPNs, that was easy to fix on the outside sock but really hard to get the crochet hook into the inside sock.

My sister was over today and I showed her. She asked if it was a sock and I said, "No, two socks" and pulled the inner one out.
She didn't know I was describing one sock inside the other over the phone. She was amazed and then confused.
I showed her some stitching, "K inside sock, K outside sock" and it didn't help her confusion.

Mike
03-22-2008, 11:23 PM
I got the heel flap and turn done.
I should either get the gusset done tonight or tomorrow.

It's amazing how fast it goes when you actually sit down and work on it.
It may seem to take a while but at least when I'm done I'll be done with the PAIR.

No real problem decreasing. I'd slip one, drop one, either slip the other over (for 2tog) or knit it over (for SKP), pick up the dropped stitch, slip the 2 back over and knit them or pass the stitch over the knitted stitch then decrease the second 2.

Getting my hand up in there to check if I've knitted them together is beginning to be a problem.

Mike
03-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Now that I'm around the heel I can try them on for fit.
They're a bit too tight which makes them a lot thinner than I wanted and stretches open some holes around the flap. They're a lot shorter than I wanted.
That's pretty bad since I extended the men's sock pattern leg I was working with by 2"-4" and added 4 stitches.

I guess the pattern was sized for guys with extremely thin feet who wanted ankle socks. I shouldn't be too hard on the pattern writer, they'd probably would've fit me perfectly as written, WHEN I WAS TWELVE!
(Sorry, just venting about the lack of men's sock patterns actually fitted for a man's foot in a style men wear.)

They'll probably work for suit socks but I'll have to dye them.

lactosefree
03-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Mike! Your socks look fabulous! :thumbsup:

My plan was to knit at least 5 inches of the leg in ribbing before moving onto the foot, but now that I see yours with the heel being turned I'm even more antsy to get a move on. Perhaps I should reconsider and start the foot pretty soon.... :think: What a bummer about the pattern. I hope it works out.

I keep trying to pick my socks back up to get a move on it, but it seems something always gets in the way. I'm currently trying very hard to finish a lace scarf I'm knitting for a friend's birthday that already passed. I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish it.

For some reason any projects that are just for me always end up being pushed aside, but I really do need to start devoting a little bit of time every day to knit for myself.

Mike
03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
I'm sure they'll make good suit socks and be warmer than my other suit socks, everyone always seems to die in winter.
Blocking should get them to ease up a bit.
Good thing is I know I need more like 56 stitches next time, bad thing is I probably need at least 4 more inches on the leg. I'd better start those as soon as these are done if I want them done by winter. :)

Knitting and crochet is a meditation for me.
All of my crochet was for me because my sister has the market cornered on baby blankets.
I've found that knitting wasn't as relaxing, I think that was because once I managed to figure out hats I started a sweater for a great niece and when I do stuff for other people I put too much pressure on myself to finish. That gets me panicking, which was the whole reason I started crochet.
I think once I get the sweaters for my nieces done I won't be doing stuff for others for a while.

With my own stuff (as long as I'm not trying to beat the weather like starting a double knit wool hat at the end of Feb.) I can set it down when I get bored.
That's why I picked up the socks. I've got at least another skein to get the back of my sweater done (which was started because of a catastrophe with a sweater for another great nice), and there was only an inch to get to the heel flap. The socks won.

But now that I'm passed the gusset I'll probably slow down until I get near the toe. (In fact I put the socks down and picked the sweater back up tonight.)

This should get you even more antsy.

Mike
03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I started another pair. This time black (and I'll probably put a couple of blue stripes in) with 60 stitches instead of 44.
They look large but the others looked right so hopefully they'll fit.
I figured if they large is better than small. I can use them as layers if they're large.

It's going much better this time, although 60 stitches starts every other needle with purl on the ribbing. That gets a bit confusing so I may switch to 4 needles to finish the ribbing.

Once I get the yarn puke cleaned up I'll have to finish the brown pair or make another small sock bag.

Mike
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Finished.
There not as warm as I was hoping. Probably because even though I really stretched them for blocking they still stretch thin and open some holes.

Mike
04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Started

These should take quite a while. Having to add at least 4" to the leg is going to bore me.

lactosefree
04-04-2008, 03:16 AM
Oooh Mike! I'm so envious of your finished socks! They look terrific! I've completely abandoned ship on mine for now. I've actually put them to 'sleep' on my projects page on Ravelry! I completely understand what you mean by the boring 4" of leg. The leg is exactly where I am right now as they're sleeping in my stash.

I was going to pick up my socks again when I saw your heels turned, but my heart went pitter patter when I had the opportunity to do a KAL for the Central Park Hoodie since I've had the yarn to make my CPH in my stash for over a month.

I've also decided to knit my cousin an afghan as a wedding present. The 35 skeins of yarn came today and I'll need to get a move on that.

And to top it all off work is crazy busy right now and I feel like I barely have time to sit down and have some down-time for myself let alone knit.

I feel like I'm literally drowning in my knitting! But sort of in a good way I guess since I'm enjoying knitting my first sweater.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the new socks!

Mike
04-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Once you get the rythm down the speed of it isn't that bad, especially on the stockinette.
When I actually sat down and did work on the socks and only the socks (for the foot) I was knocking off rows faster than I realized.

I just mentally can't get into nothing but "14 inches of round and round" with no end in sight.

I don't think there's any way I could do socks one at a time.

That afghan sounds like it would take me years. 20 super saver skein crochet afghans take me a year easy and I find I have more tolerance for repetition in crochet than in knitting.

lactosefree
03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
After almost a year has passed since I last worked on these socks I have finally picked them back up! I just turned the heel and am working on the foot. Hoping to get them done by the end of the month.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3351596843_bbaa899987_o.jpg

Mike - are you still knitting socks this way? I was thinking about how one would go about using this method trying to cable. The only way i can think of doing it is by taking the stitches off the needles all together for the cable section and separating the 2 and then cabling and then putting them back on after twisting.. I cable without using a cable needle, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

cheley
03-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi there...I just checked out this blog about 2 socks at a time...then realized you are posting from San Fran...Can I ask you a question, please? We are planning a trip to San Fran in June...I was in the area a few years back and stayed with relatives in the Marin County area (Novato)..This year it's gonna be me and DH and niece..We want to get an apartment to rent (or hotel) near San Rafael..that puts a close to all the family...Should we look into San Fran or outside of SF? We are checking online, nothing is jumping out at us except Salsilito..Thanks for any input

lactosefree
03-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Hi cheley, I sent you a PM.

knittingymnast
04-25-2009, 11:09 AM
I just re-looked at that. It now boggles my mind. :)

knittingymnast
04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
After almost a year has passed since I last worked on these socks I have finally picked them back up! I just turned the heel and am working on the foot. Hoping to get them done by the end of the month.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3537/3351596843_bbaa899987_o.jpg

Mike - are you still knitting socks this way? I was thinking about how one would go about using this method trying to cable. The only way i can think of doing it is by taking the stitches off the needles all together for the cable section and separating the 2 and then cabling and then putting them back on after twisting.. I cable without using a cable needle, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

He posted on my thread I started and said that this was the only way he did it. :passedout:

knit2btied
04-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Beautiful socks, BTW!

knittingymnast
05-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I just printed the pages out and I'm going to try again to cast on tonight!!

knittingymnast
05-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I casted on twice last night before i got it right. Like oneyarn, I'm making it considerably smaller and I'm using leftover sock yarn. :thumbsup: Pics soon.

linknit41
05-15-2009, 07:25 PM
i knit English method for years, until my dd persuaded me to try Continental and it does take concentration and practice. am glad to be able to do both, in case my fingers get weary knitting for awhile using one method, can just switch to the other and rest the weary fingers. linknit41