PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio,TX knitters, where are you?

kozyknitter
02-02-2008, 07:01 PM
:knitting: Just want to start a small knitting group or chat about the latest WIP

labeelady
02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I think you'll find a lot of knitters at the Yarn Barn at 4300 McCullough. However, I just read on their website that will be closing it's doors as of April 15 unless someone wants to take over operations and relocate the store to a new location (they lost their lease). The current owner is 69 and wants to retire.

Secksiebrat
02-02-2008, 11:53 PM
My mom wants to buy it (in her dreams). I wish I lived closer to help her with it!

~danielle~

jheatherley
02-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Here's 1 SA knitter (and crocheter). I'd be most interested in a knitting group. Didn't know the Yarn Barn was closing. Haven't been there in a loooong time -- it's a good way off from me, and their prices are not to my budget's liking.

kozyknitter
02-03-2008, 10:00 PM
I heard about the impending doom of the closure and just about had a heart attack on the spot. One of my friends who is absolutely their best customer and professional knit loiterer extraoirdinaire tipped me off. I go to Yarnivore more often than not, but the prospect of losing options for supplies saddens me. Do you know of another store in town besides Hobby Lobby, Wal Mart, and Big Lots?

kozyknitter
02-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Where are you? I'd be willing to meet most anywhere and am always up for a small road trip. My schedule's a little tight until summer, but once a month is definitely doable. As far as Yarn Barn prices, I'm with you. But, it was nice to go once in a while for the commeradery and to see what they had to offer patternwise. I found a lot of great patterns as well as the occasional reasonably priced skein.

Rosemary
02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I think it would be fun to have a meetup.

Have only been to Yarn Barn once - not to my liking.

Been to Yarnivore - liked it a lot, but not budgetwise.

Have been getting most yarn at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and every now and then JoAnn's. Also online.

Big Lots has yarn?

Hancock Fabrics also has some. So does WalMart, for that matter.

I did go to the LYS in Boerne. That's nice, but any yarn store is going to be expensive. (I do mostly knitting for the babies in the local hospitals.)

BTW, I live in North Central. Off 281, north of Evans.

kozyknitter
02-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I think it would be fun to have a meetup.

Have only been to Yarn Barn once - not to my liking.

Been to Yarnivore - liked it a lot, but not budgetwise.

Have been getting most yarn at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, and every now and then JoAnn's. Also online.

Big Lots has yarn?

Hancock Fabrics also has some. So does WalMart, for that matter.

I did go to the LYS in Boerne. That's nice, but any yarn store is going to be expensive. (I do mostly knitting for the babies in the local hospitals.)

BTW, I live in North Central. Off 281, north of Evans.
Hi Rosemary,
Boerne has some nice things, but Ewe and Eye is YIKES pricey. I've been to Wal Mart many times too. I'm in the NW side of town close to 10 and Wurzbach. Here's my e-mail address for those of you who would like to attempt a get together. I was thinking at least monthly to start since schedules are a challenge sometimes. That would also give us all time to work on our projects before meeting again. keyla773@yahoo.com
As far as Big Lots having yarn, every once in a while in an obscure bin in the back with the furniture, you can dig out some real jewels. I knitted a couple of fashionable and fuzzy scarves for Christmas with dollar skeins:yay:

Rosemary
02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Kozy,

I pretty much am available almost any time. Well, not really. I take care of my granddaughter. Have to pick her up from school every day. Most weekends she spends with her friend, but DGD has had the flu lately so I am home with her.

Why don't you suggest a time and place that is convenient for you and I will see if it's feasible.

BTW, word of warning, I am 68.

jheatherley
02-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Rosemary, you're just a kid -- I'll be 72 before I know it.

Rosemary
02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Rosemary, you're just a kid -- I'll be 72 before I know it.

Thank heavens!!!!!!!

kozyknitter
02-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Well, let's see..... I'm a young knitter but truly believe that aside from physical and undeniable symptoms of age, we're all as young as we feel at any given moment. Each of us is God's CHILD no matter how old or young we may be. ;-) As far as suggesting a meeting place, I'm slightly picky about ambience. I don't like loud places, smoke, or places crowded with loud smoking people. How about the book store in the Huebner Oaks shopping center (can't remember if it's B&N or Borders) not this Sunday but the next at 1:30?

knitknut
02-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Oh, I just saw this thread!! I'd love to join in too. I don't know anyone that knits. I'm in the NW section of SA, too. Bandera & 1604 area. The Borders at Huebner Oaks would be great. Sunday would be nice since I work 2 jobs and usually have that day off of both.

Rosemary
02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Super. The bookstore at Huebner Oaks at 1:30 on Feb. 17th.

I will be the one with knitting needles.

Jaxhil
02-06-2008, 04:44 PM
oooh, oooh!! (raises hand)

Can I come too? I would love to join y'all-I live in Bandera, so it's a bit of a drive, but do-able. And I would love to come!

This sounds like fun-I can't wait to meet y'all!

See you soon!

kozyknitter
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
See you all on Sunday. I'm sooo excited about there being interest in this. Be thinking about a first project. We can sip and knit.
Hi Kozy,

I pretty much am available almost any time. Well, not really. I take care of my granddaughter. Have to pick her up from school every day. Most weekends she spends with her friend, but DGD has had the flu lately so I am home with her.

Why don't you suggest a time and place that is convenient for you and I will see if it's feasible.

BTW, word of warning, I am 68.[/quote]

Rosemary
02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Do you think we should post this on General Knitting?

kozyknitter
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
I think posting on general knitting would be okay. Do you think more people would come out of the woolwork?:woot: Just be sure to mention that it's the 17th, not this Sunday. I'm not sure if that was abundantly clear the first time. A little reminder never hurts.
Do you think we should post this on General Knitting?

Rosemary
02-08-2008, 11:25 PM
I did it. Maybe there will be one or two who don't check this area. I seldom did until recently.

We'll see.

Rosemary
02-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Super. The bookstore at Huebner Oaks at 1:30 on Feb. 17th.

I will be the one with knitting needles.

Today is the day! Anybody else coming? I will be in the knitting books section.

Jaxhil
02-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll be there, Rosemary!

looking forward to meeting you! :cool: maybe it'll just be us :p that's ok!

linknit41
02-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi Rosemary, sorry we missed you. Three of us showed up, but were sitting by the window near the coffee bar. I hadn't seen your message, was just told there would be knitting--so didn't know to go to the knitting-books section. Hope we can try again. linknit41

kozyknitter
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
:grphug: Rosemary, I'm really sorry not to have stopped you. I bet you were the one with short hair and a knitted bag. I had an impulse to ask if you were a knitter. I was buying a caramel latte when you walked past and went straight for the back. I say so with such surety because nothing just happens. In that 1/2 second, we missed each other, and I can sure empathize with how frustrated you must have felt at having waited all that time. We talked briefly about getting together 2 Sundays from now, location to be decided in a later post. I'll wear a ridiculously large hat and wave a sign if it'll avoid another near miss.:thumbsup:

kozyknitter
02-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Linknit41, I found the pattern I mentioned earlier. It was in Interweave Knits after all. The Spring '08 issue on p.76 If you go to the website, you can see pictures but have to buy the mag for the pattern, or I can bring it with me in a couple of weeks when we meet again. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a felted bag pattern:cheering: , kozy

linknit41
02-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks, kozy, i looked it up; pretty cool.linknit41

Rosemary
02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Well, pooh. Yep, Kozy, that was me. It never occurred to me to look in the cafe. Guess I should pay more attention to where within the chosen site we are going to meet!

No hard feelings, no frustration, but I do regret not getting to meet you all. Next time FOR SURE!!!!!

However, all was not lost. I got a copy of Simply Knitting and did some shopping on the way home.

Jaxhil
02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Bummer, I am sorry we missed you too! But we are going to meet up again in a couple of weeks so hopefully we'll all end up in the same spot this time! :teehee:

I really enjoyed meeting you, kozyknitter! I am looking forward to getting together again-and hopefully we can convince more local knitters (and crocheters!) to join us.

kozyknitter
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
:happydance: It'll be lots of fun to get together, this time with Miss Hilary and Miss Rosemary. I cast on for socks. In case you're not aware, my first (and overly ambitious) project ever was a pair of socks. Well, I made A(one lone) sock and was so incredibly flustered that it is now my beloved daughter's puppet rather than the fashionable knitwear I'd like to display on my tootsies. I'm still searching for the perfect felted bag pattern that will be large enough to hold all my mounds of very important junk. What's everyone else working on?

Rosemary
02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
I have too many things on the needles: Neopolitan baby set of blanket, hat, booties; spiral round baby blanket; fan and feather baby blanket; baby argyle socks; round lacy baby blanket; and several (18 in fact) Christmas trees for a seniors project. Also have several baby hats and blankets to make before March 1st.

In case you can't tell, I belong to a group that knits/crochets for babies in the local hospitals.

kozyknitter
02-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Rosemary,
It's wonderful that you knit for babies.:knitting: Passing on our gifts in tangible ways is great, especially when you know that what you do has touched someone in a positive way. Maybe when we meet, you can bring some to show us.:cheering:
kozy

KnittyLynn
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
:grphug: Looking for some local knitters but all are welcome to chat with me! I'm still learning.

kozyknitter
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Hi KnittyLynn, I'm all the way out in San Antonio:-P . What's your latest and greatest creation?:knitting:

kozyknitter
02-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey ladies, I just wanted to find out where we'll be meeting this Sunday. The last time we spoke, 2 was a good time, but we had yet to find a meeting place. I know it's a little early in the week, but better to be prepared.:)

kozyknitter
02-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey there, it's me again. How is everyone?:p It seems as if things have gone nonstop lately. I'm looking forward to meeting up again this Sunday. Just as before, everyone is welcome to just show up. It's nothing formal, and the more the merrier certainly applies. I'll just suggest that we meet at the Borders in the Huebner Oaks shopping area again at 2 this Sunday, the 2nd. I'll be in the coffee shop area knitting something:knitting: If anyone would rather meet elsewhere, please feel free to chime in. Have a lovely weekend, and I hope to see you on Sunday.

Rosemary
02-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds good to me. This time I will find you!

Topacio
03-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Hello all, I am a stay at home mom who just learned to knit this year, and I have been searching for a knitting group. I love the idea of meeting on a Sunday, and if I had found this site sooner, I may have gone to tomorrow/today's meeting. But I have to go to a relative's. Usually I am free on Sundays, and I can leave my little guy with my mom or hubby for a few hours. When is the next meeting, and would it be okay if I joined?? Thanks. :knitting:

kozyknitter
03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
:woot: Hello all! Well, a couple of us got together today at Borders and had some laughs. Miss Rosemary had her pretty blue knit bag in tow along with a lovely round blanket which will be spectacular:cheering: . We met Miss Topacio, who is new to knitting but brilliant and learning very quickly. I took my daughter, who currently knits on and off and is working on an ambiguous but chic square. (The possibilities are endless!:wink: ) We plan to meet again in 2 weeks with the tentative time of 2:00 at Borders in Huebner Oaks shopping area just like today. If anyone would like to change that meeting place or time, please feel free. It's all open for discussion. Talk to y'all soon.:knitting:

Jaxhil
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh, I'm sorry I couldn't come!! I wanted to but I had already driven to SA (from Bandera) twice this weekend and I'm trying to cut down on the trips-gas is getting ridiculous!! Plus it was my Dad's b-day and we had planned on taking him to lunch (which fell through anyway, blah!).

Next time I'm game, though-I really enjoyed our first meeting! I'm looking forward to seeing you again, and meeting Rosemary and Topacio too.

Rosemary: " In case you can't tell, I belong to a group that knits/crochets for babies in the local hospitals."

Rosemary, what group do you belong to? I used to go to a group Called Threads of Love, that knits/crochets/sews for preemie/nicu babies for the local hospitals. I now have four home schooled kids so it's a little impractical to take them but I really enjoyed it. Plus my fourth was a preemie herself cloud9 and now she's four yrs old.

Rosemary
03-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hilary, I belong to a group called BlueBonnet Babies. We have just changed the schedule so we only meet every other month. We knit/sew/crochet at home and bring our items in to the meetings. There is a schedule of what is needed each meeting, but everything is welcome and appreciated. A few of the members do the deliveries to the hospitals. I really, really like it.

kozyknitter
03-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Topacio, how is your pretty scarf coming along? I really like the basket weave pattern you chose.:-P

Topacio
03-04-2008, 01:49 AM
It's coming out great. I worked on it a good while yesterday, and today I worked on it some more before Peanut woke up. :knitting: Last night and tonight I tried to teach my hubby how to knit! :woohoo: He likes to cast on, but he just got the knits today. He was almost done with his first row, when my son got his yarn and ran...I could tell my hubby was upset, and he decided that he would try again tomorrow. He's doing pretty good, but he insists that he wants his stitches to be tight. Still doesn't get what too tight is. But he'll learn. :guyknitting: Bad thing is that his sis keeps teasing him. :yadda: Hopefully I will put an end to that soon.

kozyknitter
03-04-2008, 05:35 PM
:tap: Well, shame on your sister-in-law. Maybe she's just jealous. It's great that he's learning. Knitting will be one more thing you two can share and enjoy together. Who knows, maybe one of these Sundays he'll join us:thumbsup: :woohoo:

Topacio
03-10-2008, 03:48 AM
I finished my scarf! Yay! Now I am trying to think of what I'm gonna take next sunday...I have almost a whole skein left over, so I am going to either make a beanie, or a headband, or some scrunchies. I tie my hair back a lot so they will be useful. Also I can give some away. just gotta figure out a cute design to use. Has anyone made headbands before?

kozyknitter
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I finished my scarf! Yay! Now I am trying to think of what I'm gonna take next sunday...I have almost a whole skein left over, so I am going to either make a beanie, or a headband, or some scrunchies. I tie my hair back a lot so they will be useful. Also I can give some away. just gotta figure out a cute design to use. Has anyone made headbands before?
I've never made a headband before. It'll be neat to see where it takes you. Be your creative self, and I'm sure it'll look great (and be an adventure:happydance: ).
My socks are almost complete, so I'll be casting on for the felted bag before Sunday, unless something else tickles my fickle fancy:eyebrow2: .

Rosemary
03-11-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm still working on the blanket that will never end!

Topacio
03-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I made a scrunchie yesterday, and today I started a headwrap thing, but I have to go back and unravel :frog: it because I didn't know how to make an increase to the front and back. I found a video, and now I have to undo about 7 rows, but it's no biggie. I did learn how to make an i-cord, and it really liked it. Used the yarn from my scarf, so it is going to have a stripe pattern. :yay:

kozyknitter
03-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Rosemary, keep on truckin':) . It's going to be so beautiful. Are you going to bring it with you Sunday? I bet you've made a lot of progress.
Topacio, you're speedy!:star: Have you thought about starting a large project like a skirt or tank top? You'd do great. If you want, I can bring a couple of patterns with me Sunday to share.
As for the socks, I'm nearing the toe on sock 2 but haven't had much time to devote as I'd have liked. I may just cast on at the book store. See y'all soon.:out:

Rosemary
03-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes, I'm bringing the neverending blanket on Sunday! Haven't made much progress because I had to frog a row.

I am also bringing some patterns for you gals. In addition, I have ended up with an extra copy of the Spring 2008 Interweave Knits magazine. I will bring that for you also.

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

kozyknitter
03-15-2008, 07:56 PM
I'll see you ladies at Borders, Huebner Oaks, tomorrow at 2. I look forward to swapping patterns.:yay:

kozyknitter
03-16-2008, 10:07 PM
We had another fun afternoon sit at Borders today. Miss
Rosemary's blanket is coming along beautifully. The lace pattern is really taking shape now. At 200+ stitches per round, it's amazing how fast she's making headway. Miss Topacio has finished several projects and is making a very cute hat that is sure to look just maaaahvelous.:cool: I'm working on a simple blue purse for myself (unless another recipient comes along, as with most projects originally intended for moi:teehee: ). We plan to meet again in 2 weeks at a DIFFERENT location, tba in a later post. We'll be doing a small yarn swap for anyone interested. As always, the more the merrier. :woohoo:

kozyknitter
03-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Hello all. I thought of something fun to do last night while working on my "purse". First, it's not going to be a purse anymore. I've decided it would look better as the centerpiece for a king-sized afghan. Well, this led me to the idea of trading squares. The one I'm making is pretty large, but I plan on scaling down to quarter-sized and change patterns and textures to make it more ecclictic. I just think it would be a lot of fun if we each did one (the more different the better, including size) and bring them with each time we meet. That way, we could see the progress, and since each of us will have contributed a square to the other, we all get a feeling of accomplishment and joy in the finished projects.:cheering: What do you think?

Topacio
03-19-2008, 02:21 PM
good idea, I still have some of the yarn from my hat, which I finished yesterday, and I am all out of ideas of what to do with it. It will be a funky little design, and I will try to practice my cables and such.

Oh, I found a woman that would like to join us next time, her name is Alma, and I think she might be posting on here soon, I told her to go ahead and introduce herself here.

Topacio
03-19-2008, 02:27 PM
heres a map of the borders in san antonio. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=borders+san+antonio&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&ll=29.492804,-98.517151&spn=0.181691,0.298004&z=11

and the barnes and nobles
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=borders+san+antonio&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&ll=29.492804,-98.517151&spn=0.181691,0.298004&z=11

i live closest to the barnes and noble off of san pedro, but am willing to drive to another one.

Rosemary
03-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Strange - I was going to suggest the Barnes and Noble on San Pedro! As an added bonus, there is a Michael's in that same shopping center.

The idea of a square is a really good one.

Topacio
03-19-2008, 09:32 PM
which san pedro were you thinking? I was thinking the one across from north star. didn't know of another. i should check the map again

Rosemary
03-20-2008, 08:06 AM
The Barnes and Noble at Northwoods near 281 and 1604. Let me see if I can find a map.

Rosemary
03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
This one:

http://storelocator.barnesandnoble.com/directions.do

kozyknitter
03-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I haven't been to that B&N, so it'll be an adventure for me. I'll have my hubby drive me, since I get lost going to the grocery store:teehee: . I'm glad you all think the squares are a good idea. I'll post the dimensions tonight. All colors and designs welcome. I look forward to meeting Alma.
update...it'd be great if the squares were approximately 6.5"

Topacio
03-21-2008, 02:35 AM
So are we settled on the barnes and noble on 1604 and san pedro/281? At 2? I've never been there, so I would need to know for any major or neighboring stores in the area. Internet won't tell me what stores are nearby. Thanks.

Rosemary
03-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Let's see. There is a Michael's, Office Max, HEB, Ross, Zio's, Chuy's, and a bunch of others facing 281. In the other part there is a Kohls, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Red Robin and others in the part that parallels 1604. There is also a movie theater and an ice rink in the midst of all this.

The Barnes and Noble is in the section by Henderson Pass.

If this is too confusing we can meet at the San Pedro/410 one.

Sweet_Thang
03-21-2008, 09:09 AM
So are we settled on the barnes and noble on 1604 and san pedro/281?
Just butting in! Too bad I won't be there visiting my Inlaws (I am in Houston) as I would come up and sit with ya'll. That's just down the street from their home!

Have a great time!!

linknit41
03-21-2008, 12:12 PM
there's agroup that meets on Sunday, 2 pm at the Maverick Library--maybe you could check that out? linknit41

kozyknitter
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
B&N on 281 and 1604 sounds like an adventure. I think it's a good idea. If after we've been there, we decide it's too confusing, we can always meet somewhere else. Plus, we each have over a week to figure out how to get there.:)
We'll see you next time Sweet Thang:p

Rosemary
03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Where is the Maverick library?

kozyknitter
03-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I googled the Maverick library and got 8700 Mystic Park for the address. The phone number is 680-9346.

Topacio
03-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Okay, I think I can manage finding my way. It'll be fun getting to know a new neighborhood. I have always wanted to go to Khols (I went to one in N. Carolina, but that was over 5 years ago), and now I have an excuse to stop and check it out.

About Maverick, I think its a little out of my way, so I wouldn't be able to go there. It's sort of the opposite of where we all live, right? The other library that does knit meetings is Great Northwest, and its even further away from my house. I guess library meetups are not for me.

Topacio
03-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Hey there ladies, do any of you subscribe to the magazine KnitScene? I found this really nice sweater from a Fall 2006 issue. I know it was a while ago, but I don't really know where I'd go to find it. I like the way it looks, and if it's easy, then it may be good enough for my first major project. I checked the SA Library website and I don't know how to find out if they carry the magazine. If they did, then they would probably have the issue. Let me know, and thanks in advance for checking.

kozyknitter
03-23-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't subscribe. Sorry. The sweater sounds like a great idea. I went to knit club yesterday and had a great time. You all should come. It was actually my first time, and it was a blast. Every 1st and 3rd Friday at 5 at Yarnivore they knit, eat, drink, and just generally shoot the breeze. I'll tell more about it next Sunday for anyone interested. There were even two ladies who brought their little ones with activities for them to keep busy while they knit. Anyway, Have a spectacular Easter!!!:muah:

Jaxhil
03-23-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi Y'all-I have missed a lot, it seems-lots of new people to meet :p

I wish I'd been able to come to the last Border's meet-up, it sounds like everyone had fun. I'd love to see what everyone's making!

I don't think I can come to the B&N at 1604/281 though-I already drive all the way from Bandera (not the road, the town! lol). Is that going to be the permanent meeting place, now?

Everyone's projects sound great! That's a great idea for making blocks and putting them together-that'd be fun.

The Yarnivore knit club sounds fun-the only thing about that is I'd be tempted to BUY something :teehee: and my stash is almost outta control already! LOL!!

Well, have fun at the next meet-up, everyone!

kozyknitter
03-23-2008, 09:08 PM
1) no permanent residence. we're just trying out a new place possibly with more comfortable seating:wink:
2) temptation definitely comes into play. BE STRONG!
3) the group's never too large to expand.:cheering: if it's too far, we'll meet closer next time. everything's negotiable

cretin
03-24-2008, 12:11 AM
When is the next one at B&N?

knitfan2
03-24-2008, 01:53 AM
My home is San Francisco, but I just got back from a 5 day vacation in San Antonio. Loved the city - had a room overlooking the Riverwalk, took a trolley tour, and learned a little history at the Alamo. Of course, I had to visit the lyss. Loved Yarnivore. Yes, high prices, but I treat myself once in a while, and balance it with purchases at Michael's and Knit Picks the rest of the time. I didn't like Yarn Barn as much because of the messy look and old smell. They did mention to me that they were in the midst of packing and moving. They said there was a new owner who was moving the store to a new location.

Topacio
03-24-2008, 04:03 AM
When is the next one at B&N?

Next meeting is at BnN on sunday march 30th... we meet every other sunday.

jasminarose
03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey I kind of stumbled onto this forum. I enjoy knitting and crochet and I'm glad there are more people out there in town who enjoy it too.

kozyknitter
03-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Next meeting is at BnN on sunday march 30th... we meet every other sunday.
just wanted to add that it's usually around 2 in the afternoon and it'll be B&N on 281/1604

Topacio
03-25-2008, 02:52 AM
Rosemary, Quick question, Where in the BnN are we meeting? My guess is the Cafe, but I've never been there, and I don't know if there are other seeting areas. Since its your local BnN I guesed that you may be familiar with it.

Rosemary
03-25-2008, 07:35 PM
The Starbuck's cafe would be a good start. There is comfortable seating in the "crafts" section, but we can look at that after we meet.

kozyknitter
03-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I'll see everyone at 2 Sunday in the cafe area. I'm bringing some yarn to swap and probably won't be logging on again before we meet. Have a great Saturday.:cheering:

Rosemary
03-30-2008, 06:32 PM
Here is the link to Etsy where you can buy and sell all things handmade:

http://www.etsy.com/

Rosemary
03-30-2008, 06:34 PM
And here is the dishcloth I was talking about:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77918

kozyknitter
03-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Well, we had another fun Sunday afternoon together yesterday. Miss Topacio, Miss Rosemary, and I met at the B&N off of 1604/281 and swapped yarn. Miss Rosemary even made a square out of pretty baby blue yarn in a butterfly pattern, and the blanket goes on:knitting: . It's coming along beautifully. Miss Topacio has finished several projects and has cast on for a flattering tank top with an eyelet pattern. I'm here and there and everywhere, making squares and socks. We plan to meet again on the 13th at 2, tentatively at La Cantera food court with a possible sit outside (weather permitting). More later:p

Topacio
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
just thought i'd share a pic of the tote i made from rosemary's yarnbee yarn from yarn swap. thanks rosemary, I love it!

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc314/mrs_gil/SL380511.jpg

I read that it can be felted, but how do I felt w/out a washing machine? If you know how please share. :)

kozyknitter
04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Topacio, you are on fire!!!:woohoo: We just swapped on Sunday. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with mine.:mrgreen:

Topacio
04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
since the two i got were different, i had to join the two and knit on size 15 needles a very quick knit. but when i went to my tank, i felt overwhelmed by the smaller needles. It feels like i've been knitting it forever and it is only 7 inches long

kozyknitter
04-04-2008, 03:45 PM
In case anyone is interested, just a little reminder about knit club tonight at Yarnivore. Be there at 5ish for some relaxing knit time and community.:happydance:

Topacio
04-07-2008, 02:49 PM
hey ladies, i just wanted to share my excitement about some new yarn I got this weekend. I officially have a stash of yarn! :cheering: I got pictures on my blog if you want to check it out. Also, I have a better picture of my tote and my new hat. bye!

kozyknitter
04-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Topacio,
That looks like a really nice variety of yarns. It'll be fun to see all the cool things that materialize out of your imagination:yay: . I got a skein of yarn today that will compliment that yarn I took off your hands when we swapped:thumbsup: . Eventually, the perfect project will present itself.;) Anyway, more later.

Topacio
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Did we decide where in the food court we are meeting? I don't want us to be on opposite ends thinking the others didn't show... I saw on the site that there's a chick fil a and a subway, so maybe in front of one of these places. Figured subway may not be too crowded. see you all on sunday.

kozyknitter
04-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Subway sounds like a good place to meet. You're probably right about it not being crowded. On the other hand, Chic-fil-a is not open on Sundays, so we may find more seating there. Either one sounds good.

Topacio
04-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Chick fil a sounds good :happydance:

kozyknitter
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Just to reitterate for anyone who may read this and decide they'd like to join in, we'll be meeting this Sunday at 2 at the Chick-fil-a seating area of the food court at La Cantera. (what a mouthful:teehee: ) See you all Sunday, the 13th.

kozyknitter
04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Another glorious Sunday has come and gone. We met at La Cantera food court today. Miss Rosemary brought her sweet grand-daughter with her, and we visited in the warm sun. No knitting today, just chat.:) The next get together will be 2 Sundays from now on the 27th. Place to be determined. Time will most likely be 2 as it has proven to be a great time to meet. I won't be there. It's the day we're having my daughter's birthday party.:woot: More later:cool:

Rosemary
04-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Here is the link to the thread about the bamboo yarn. The first source is in the very first post. The second source is on pg 3.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78246

Really enjoyed today. The sun felt so good and my hands needed the break from knitting.

P.S. DGD got a Webkinz. :teehee:

kozyknitter
04-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Rosemary, I had a feeling she might:rofl: . They're pretty good at finding soft spots, aren't they:pout: I'm glad we chose to sit outside. The only thing is that I let myself get distracted right into a burn, but get this...it's only on my left shoulder, chest, and back. :help: You can even see the outline of the necklace I was wearing. Oh well, I'll just have to wear very very conservative tops to cover up my stupidity:teehee:

Topacio
04-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry I missed everyone Sunday. I was sooo tired from the night before. Had to rescue my Brother in law from a part yhe was at that got out of hand. Didn't sleep til about 6 so i just rested on sunday. :grrr:

Have good news, I finally got my printer working so i can print out my patterns now! :woot:

kozyknitter
04-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Where is everyone? I just thought I'd pop in and say hello. This week in kozyland...school's hectic,daughter's birthday party coming up,tour de cure inching closer,knitting still relaxing:cheering: . I'm starting another square today in a different pattern out of this wonderful book. Rosemary's baby square is finished and looks wonderful. So many patterns, so little time;) . Anyway, someone say hi back soon.

Topacio
04-22-2008, 03:14 AM
hey there, I have been so busy, I haven;t had time to post. Finished shawl, and am working on a baby blanket now. Still have to go back and finish my tank.

Rosemary, did you still want to meet sunday?

Rosemary
04-22-2008, 01:40 PM
Why don't we skip this weekend and try again for the next Sunday. (May 4) That way we will miss Mother's Day.

How does that sound?

kozyknitter
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
May 4th sounds good to me. I wouldn't be able to make it this Sunday 'cause of Anika, and Mother's Day would be hard too. I have an idea though, since we won't be doing it on MD. How about we make a small something for one another since we're all mommies? I think it would be fun. By the way, Yarn Barn is having a big sale this week. I stopped by yesterday and got needles and a sheep tape measure:woohoo: . Let me know if y'all agree about the small project.:knitting:

Topacio
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
May 4th sounds good. I might go to yarnivore to knit. I desperately need to get out of the house! I am working like crazy on baby blanket. Baby shower is Saturday, but I won't be done by then. Hopefully I'll be done by next saturday.
I don't think I could finish another project by MD. Gotta make my mom something for her bday on the first, and MD.

Rosemary
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I may be able to go to Yarnivore this week! DGD may actually be with her mother!

I also think it might be stretching my time a wee bit to try to get something done for MD. I am moving in 3 weeks and I have BlueBonnet Babies stuff to get finished for May 3rd.

kozyknitter
04-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, it'll be fun to get together possibly Friday at Yarnivore then on Sunday, the 4th. :yay: It sounds like everyone has a lot on her plate at the moment, so we'll forget the gift idea. Topacio, you are such a fast knitter. I think that even if the blanket isn't done by the shower, you'll definitely be through soon, and I'm sure it will have been worth the wait. By the way, Rosemary, how is the baby blanket you were working on?

kozyknitter
04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Just to clarify, I meant that knit club would meet Friday the 2nd, not this Friday. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Hope everyone can make it.:knitting:

kozyknitter
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Anyone have ideas about where to meet tomorrow? If no one chimes in by 7ish, I'll be at Borders in Huebner Oaks at 2. I'll only be able to be there for an hour or so, but hope to see y'all there.:)

Rosemary
05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds good to me. Will probably have to bring DGD, but she did enjoy herself last time.

kozyknitter
05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I'll see you tomorrow Rosemary. I might be able to convince Anika to come. Then DGD will have someone to talk to. :woot:
Topacio, are you going to be there?

Rosemary
05-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Here are the instructions for the mitered corners that worked well for me.

If you already have the inside (rectangle) done, this is one way:
Pick up and knit along one border.
K1, M1, knit to the end.
Turn, K1, M1, knit to the end.
Repeat until your border is as wide as you want it and BO. (You'll have a trapezoid sitting on your border.) Don't break the yarn.
Pick up and knit down the diagonal side (your mitre), one stitch for every row.
Pick up and knit along border two. Starting from the corner NOT along border one, K1, M1, knit to the end with the last stitch being a stitch from the first row of border one. When you knit back (away from the trapezoid), just knit to the end (no M1).
Repeat until trapezoid two matches trapezoid one.

Repeat this again for border three. Border four, of course, has no M1s at all, since you're joining trapezoid three and trapezoid one.

Good luck on your exam tomorrow.

kozyknitter
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Rosemary, thanks for the pattern. It'll come in handy. Also, I found out why Topacio wasn't there Sunday. Her internet is on the fritz. I'll be keeping in touch with her via phone till that's resolved. Anywho, thanks again.:thumbsup:

Topacio
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
my web has been down, and so I had no way of finding out where we were meeting. I gave kozy my # so she can let me know the plan for next time.

Rosemary
05-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Good. I missed you.

Rosemary
05-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Are we meeting Sunday?

If so, where?

kozyknitter
05-16-2008, 11:01 PM
I have conflicts again. :sad: Unfortunately, there are a million and one things going on this weekend. As a matter of fact, right now I'm baking when I should be in bed. Sunday, we promised our daughter we'd go to Fiesta Texas. If y'all want to come with just for kicks, we'd love to share the day. I'll be in touch.
k

kozyknitter
05-20-2008, 07:05 PM
How is everyone? Sorry I wasn't able to make it Sunday. Did anyone get together?:) When do y'all want to try again? I'm off this coming Sunday, then I'll be working sporadically on the weekends. I'll look at my schedule and see when's the next Sunday I'm off just in case this Sunday doesn't work out.

Topacio
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't mind meeting this weekend. Rosemary, I pm'd you you my number. I guess its a good thing there was no meetup this last weekend, since I was between projects on Sunday. I did go down to Michaels and buy some new yarn for 2 new projects, and Monday I went to yarnivore. I am currently swatching for a top that was in the spring interweave knits that Rosemary gave me. Thanks again Rosemary. :)

kozyknitter
05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I would like to meet tomorrow. Our usual place and time sounds okay to me unless y'all want to go somewhere else.(Huebner@2)I'll be there.

Topacio
05-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey, guess what! I learned to crochet on Monday. My mom showed me, but we had to use very thin thread. Friday my hubby will buy me some hooks so I can start on the panda. :)

kozyknitter
06-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Rosemary, Topacio and I will be at knit club tonight. If you get this message, please come or if you get it late, call me. Also, ACK meets tomorrow at Shayla's in case you wanted to go. Topacio has my number.

3girlsmom
09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering if any of you guys still get together? I am a new knitter and would love to join. I am still in the practicing stage and haven't started my first project (yet). I tried to sign up for a class ( the only one I could find being offered) but it was full with a waiting list, so if any of of ladies are in the teaching mood give me a holler! :)

kozyknitter
12-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Wow, 3 months later!!! Sorry. First, welcome to the world of knitting. Second, we don't get together as this group anymore, but there are many other opportunities to meet and knit. If you happen to get back into this thread, here's a jumping off place: www.yarnivoresa.com (http://www.yarnivoresa.com) The store knitting club meets every 1st and 3rd Friday of the month at 5:30. If you haven't already found it, we'll look forward to seeing you there and helping you plug in.

tex
01-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Just found the thread and I'm sorry I never saw it before. I was at Yarnivore yesterday and found some great yarn. I work most days and would love to meet some SA knitters sometime. I can't get to Yarnivore on Fridays ever. Anyone available during the week?

linknit41
01-15-2009, 07:47 PM
SA knitters-- there is still a group that meets at Great Northwest library on Saturdays at 2-5 pm and one that meets at Maverick library Sundays 2-5pm. linknit41