PDA

View Full Version : Suffering for my art

knitpurlgurl
02-02-2008, 09:06 PM
The one thing I hate about being a thrower is that I tend to push my needles in and out of stitches (push them on the points). I have such a sore thumb and sore forefinger. ARGH! I've tried contintental knitting and CAN do it, but I prefer to throw. So for now, I will just suffer for my art. Sore fingers or not, I can't stop knitting!! :)

The.Knitter
02-02-2008, 09:09 PM
What about a thimble... you could try that!

knitpurlgurl
02-02-2008, 09:11 PM
I need to buy one. Or two. I'm not a sewer. I'm breaking into fabric arts one craft at a time. Knitting first. :)

alleusion
02-02-2008, 09:19 PM
You could also try a finger condom thing that they use at the post office. They have them in office supply stores and are usually made of a soft plastic and have little nubbly things on them.

jdee
02-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I understand. I have a callous where I push the needle points.

Mike
02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I do that with Continental. The grass isn't any greener.

I have callouses from polishing rings so it doesn't bother me, except when #3 dpns manage to poke through. Then they always seem to find the hole.
So now I've started pushing by putting the needle under a fingernail.

knitrageous
02-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Ouch! I understand! I do the same thing.

Debkcs
02-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I had to go knit a few stitches to try to figure this out; why are you pushing your needles? I don't understand, and am beginning to freak out thinking there is something that I need to know. Is there???

knittingymnast
02-03-2008, 09:02 AM
why dont you hold the needles like amy? she wraps the yarn around her pinkie and her foefinger goes under the yarn when she knits english so do i

knitpurlgurl
02-03-2008, 09:11 AM
why dont you hold the needles like amy? she wraps the yarn around her pinkie and her foefinger goes under the yarn when she knits english so do i

She also pushes the needle in and out of the stitches in her video.

Newbie2Knitting
02-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm with ya, girl. I do the same thing. Sometimes after I've done a marathon session I can see a little indentation on my forefinger from where I've been pushing the needle. ;)

Lisa R.
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM
You could also try a finger condom thing that they use at the post office. They have them in office supply stores and are usually made of a soft plastic and have little nubbly things on them.

You can put them inside-out and the nubbly things won't snag your yarn.

Wanda Witch
02-03-2008, 01:56 PM
What a good suggestion, think I will be making a trip to the office supply store. I have sore forefinger, I am a thrower - tried continental but haven't gotten the 'hang' of it yet - so think this just might help. Come to think of it, years ago when I worked in an office seems I had something like what you described. I don't think I called it a 'condom' though. Just teasing..... Thanks for the great suggestion for sore fingers!

BabeeBK
02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
lol @ finger condom. I too had sore fingers for a while...but now I'm used to it :mrgreen:

rachejm
02-03-2008, 03:23 PM
i do it too! Used to hurt but now i i'm used to it (still gets a bit sore after while tho), i hav a small callous on my finger. Then again it's nowhere near as painful as my attempt to play the guitar so I'm happy to live with it.