View Full Version : Selling your work

02-03-2008, 10:35 PM

I hope someone can help me. I hoping to start selling the hats and scarves and things I make when they turn out well but I don't know if I would be breaking the law, or breaking knitting etiquette, if I sell something based on someone elses pattern - either from a book or from a website.

Some patterns seem fairly basic - a plain ribbed hat or a simple pair of gloves, and I imagine no one would mind if I used their basic pattern and sold it - should I say where the pattern came from though maybe?

But some patterns are more distinctive - a certain lace patterning round the trim or even more so - gloves and scarves and hats in the shapes of animals or flowers etc. Is it the done thing to ask permission?

Any advice about broaching the professional world appreciated!

02-03-2008, 11:50 PM
You should get written consent from the designer before selling a piece based on their pattern. Usually it says right on the pattern that it is only for personal use and not for resale. If you dig around here there's been a few threads on copywright laws and selling work. IMHO, you're far better off with your own original pattern if you want to sell your work. GL!!!

02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
What newbie said check with the person who published/wrote the pattern. Most people will tell you its okay to sell the things you make from their patterns as long as you don't sell the pattern itself. I had an etsy store at one point. so I had to check into all of this fun stuff.