PDA

View Full Version : How many hours a day do you get to knit?

Debkcs
02-05-2008, 01:23 PM
When my hands work, I have the time to knit two to three hours a day. How do you carve out time during your day? Those of you who work, have young families, and manage to knit a lot are just amazing.

suzeeq
02-05-2008, 01:29 PM
About 2-3 unless we're doing marathon catch-up-on-tv-shows- we-missed-on-dvd-watching, then it's a few more. Weekends, it's more like 5 hours. I work, but don't have younguns anymore.

KnittinMitchie
02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I have a 2.5yr old so I can knit while she sits and plays with her toys or reads her books. She still does quiet time in the afternoons for a few hours. I say I average 3-4 hrs a day. I can't handle knitting for long periods of time or if I do knit for a long period I tend to switch my projects around.

sakura-panda
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I've recently started taking my showers at night instead of in the morning, and I like to let my hair dry for a bit before I go to bed. For the last couple of weeks I've taken to knitting or scrapbooking during that hour. :knitting:

Before that, I used to knit in the car when I was waiting for DH. If we happened to be out and about during the kids' naptime, if they were sleeping in the car, then I could knit while DH would run into the store for whatever it was we were there to get. When the baby was younger, I spent a lot of time knitting in the car, but now that she is older, not so much. :cry:

Other than that, all of my knitting is in public while waiting for one thing or another. I just have too many other things to do at home, including an afghan that I am crocheting but is too big to take around with me.

I've read some posts where people are self-conscious about knitting where other people could watch them, but between reading lots of Agatha Christie/Miss Marple stories when I was a kid and the crocheting I used to do whenever I was at some get-together with the in-laws, it doesn't bother me to have people watch what I'm doing, even when I frog!

To answer the original question :blush:, about an hour a day. :)

Darcia
02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
If I could, I would knitt all day long. But I knit about 1-2hours each evening while my dh watches his hockey.:knitting:

figaro
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I try to knit at night after the kids have gone to bed and depending on when I go to bed, maybe 1-3 hours a night. That is not uninteruppted knitting though, getting up to herd the kids back into bed or convincing the 2 yo that she needs to go to sleep tends to cut back on my time. I do get to knit more on the weekends unless we go somewhere, I get dizzy knitting in the car. I do knit waiting for the kids to go to/get out of school, that is about 12-20 each morning and afternoon.

I guess I knit more than I thought:knitting:! I just wish I knit faster and made less mistakes and had more fo's :teehee:!

Robinknits
02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I knit at least 1-2 hours a day while watching tv in the evening. I homeschool my kids so I sometimes get some knitting in while watching them do their school work. Twice a week they have band and I get in a couple of hours while waiting for them (One is in beginning and one in advanced band, so we are there for a while.) I'm amazed by friends (who knit) who say they don't have time to knit. You find time for the things you love to do!

erikalee
02-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure really. I knit off and on all day, I guess. Sitting in front of the TV, no matter what time it is, or what's on, I'm knitting. And I take my knitting with me everywhere if it's a small enough project (I've really only done small ones so far).

I do have 2 young kids, one 7yo daughter and one 3yo son. They occupy themselves and each other a lot, though.

I guess if you break it down, it's anywhere from 0-5 hours a day.

scout52
02-05-2008, 02:27 PM
It depends on what time I get home from work. i eat dinner. play a little with my cats and then i start knitting while watching tv and talking to my bf until i go to bed. so if i get home between 2-4 hrs a day. on the weekends i get to knit more if we aren't doing anything.

knitpurlgurl
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Median knitting time 0.5 hrs/day. Some days it's 0 hrs and others 1-2 hrs. It just depends.

knitmama
02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Well I tend to knit on and off all through the day. My 1yo and 2yo require quite a bit of attention, so it's rare that I get to knit for more than 5min in one session. Once they are in bed though I'll knit for about an hour while watching tv. If I add it all up throughout the day I probably get about 1-4 hours in depending on the day.

GiddyKnitter
02-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I average about 2 - 4 hours a day...If I am on night duty I can knit on and off all night depending on my patient.

Secksiebrat
02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I try to knit an hour or two a day. Alot of it depends on how "needy" my 3 year old is. Some days he's great and loves to play by himself or is happy to go play in the back yard. Some days we are cranky and just want mom to entertain us.

I try to knit 1-2 hours per day. Some days it turns out to be not at all and others I might get 3. But even with that. I'm not usually knitting uninterrupted. He always needs a drink, or the phone rings or something or other :)

~danielle~

Sunshine's Mom
02-05-2008, 03:30 PM
I usually get home, cook dinner, get comfy and knit until bedtime, which works out to be about 3 hours each weeknight. However, on the weekends I get up early and watch BBC America ("Cash in the Attic" - Love it!) and knit while my dog sleeps on my lap (everything I make has a little bit of Sunshine in it :thumbsup:) and knit the mornings away. Probably about 3 or 4 hours in the AM, then chores, then knitting all afternoon while watching movies or my DH play video games. So, on the weekends, it's about 17 hours!!! Holy Shamoley! That works out to be 32 hours a week!!! :woohoo:

That is a lot of time spent knitting, however, I sit at work and think about it all day wishing that I could leave early so I could get home to knit!!! I haven't brought any projects to work for lunchtime knitting because once I start I hate to be interrupted so I'd just be frustrated (and it's just another thing to carry).

Great question. Now...how to make it a full-time job...:mrgreen:

Mystery_Gyrl
02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I do most of my knitting while commuting on the train or bus so my knitting time ranges from a half and hour to two hours.

McKnitty
02-05-2008, 03:48 PM
I never have enough time to knit! I just knit whenever I can. Because I often work long hours, I usually don't have time to knit during the week, so I'm basically a weekend knitter.

knitting4-2girls
02-05-2008, 03:57 PM
This is a great question and I have loved reading everyone's answers.

For me, I knit mostly at work. I work nights in a Recovery Room so if we don't have any emergency surgeries there is nothing for me to do....so I knit or play on the internet.

So, on the nights I work about 2-3 hours; on the days I'm home...only about 1-2 hours.

knitgal
02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
It really depends. Sometimes I'm too tired after a day in classes, so I'll only knit for an hour in the evening. On the weekends I have a lot more time, and I watch movies so I can knit during them. I wish I had more knitting time!

Mirl56
02-05-2008, 04:30 PM
During the week when I work, maybe 1-3 hrs in the evining. On wekeends it could be 2-6 hrs/day depending on whatelse is going on.

KnittinMitchie
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
I know several of you mentioned knitting in public. I do that on Thursdays while my daughter is in speech. She's only there for 30 minutes but you would be surprised at how much you cna get done it that time.

Then there is Dean, who is also a speech therapist, and he is TOTALLY blown away that I can knit and without having my pattern out and in front of me. Yes I can darn near knit socks from memory, I just need to look to do the heel.

Looks like I'm going to have to knit Dean something :)

lelvsdgs
02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
This totally depends on what's happening when I get home. I try to get in at least an hour but sometimes I get sidetracked with the computer. I have been unsucessful in knitting and being on the computer at the same time. Plus, I have cats, and they are either sitting on the computer keyboard or chasing yarn so yeah, doesn't really work for me.:happydance:

Plantgoddess+
02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
This winter has been a slow one for me, so some days I can get in up to 6 hours in between housework, baking, shoveling snow etc. Some days I don't get any done, but I think I'm averaging about 30 hours a week.

Suziblues
02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I like to knit all day long. I'm my elderly mother's main care taker so I have lots of knitting time. My mom is the one who taught me!
I only stop to brush her hair or bath her or feed her or read or talk to her. Another words: I knit all the time unless I'm giving my mother attention. Probably about 5 hours a day. But I'm sure once summer comes we will be spending more time outside, walking, so that will take up more time. dang. But I do knit while we are sitting on the porch during summer nights. ;)

gatorjade
02-06-2008, 01:52 AM
It all depends on how much schoolwork I have. For instance, this week I will not be doing any knitting until I finish two exams and hand in a paper that's due on Friday (after which I'll be going straight to my part-time job!). Why can't I indulge in my stress-relieving hobby when I need it the most? :gah:

Debkcs
02-06-2008, 07:10 AM
So we average about an hour to an hour and a half. That's not bad!

I used to be the night nurse in a recovery unit, could't get anything done. Switched to being a night charge in an Alzhiemers unit, and got a lot of crocheting done. It was so much less stress.

Thanks for responding, I did wonder if I was slacking off here.

Deb

WandaT
02-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I, too, tend to get 2-3 hrs (at night) on a normal day. Some days my energy level isn't very high and I get / take more time. On really hectic days, I usuall steal 30 min or so before going to bed at night. I have to get my "fix" !! My youngest is a senior in high school so I don't have little ones to run after. But when she was younger I did daycare in my home and was really into cross stitching at that point. So I would grab every moment to do a few more "x's" ...

Debkcs
02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
(((((Jade))))) Best of luck with the paper and the finals. I remember those days all too well. Spring Break should be soon though, maybe you'll get some time to yourself.

I'm cherishing every moment of my 19 m.o. grand daughter :heart: who we take care of three days a week, ten hours a day, but I sure will be glad when I can get out my knitting around her. I'm afraid that she'll frog the sweater I'm working on. Usually I get out the Palindrome scarf, she can't hurt that too badly.

Birdiegirl
02-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I just started knitting in January 2008....I spend an average of an hour a day...more on weekends...less on weeknights.

I made myself a practice afghan using cheap yarns....and then I got some nicer yarn and made myself a really nice one...and now my son wants one. Plus I've made a practice hat and a practice hood...a practice scarf...then I worked up three "nice" scarves...a bathmat for the bathroom floor....3 hot pads....right now have my first dish rag out of cotton on my needles and am teaching myself the seed stitch pattern...

I've gone a bit crazy!!!

I work full time, ride my horse 4 or 5 nights a week and have a teenage son.

Busy is good...

Robin

knittingymnast
02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
It depends on the day. On Monday, usually about 3-5 hours. Tuesday, 1-2 hours. Wednesday, 1/2-2 hours. Thursday, 1-2 hours. Friday, 4-5 hours. Weekends vary. Saturdays, usually around 6 1/2. Sundays, usually around 7.

Debkcs
02-08-2008, 04:01 AM
BirdieGirl, you seemed to have taught yourself knitting in a very organized way, good on you! I thought that since I was an expert crocheter, knitting would come naturally, and started with a rather difficult sock pattern. Could knit and purl, but didn't know a thing about short rows, and the pattern called for them.

By the time you've been here a year, you'll be making garments like ArtLady1981.

BTW, is that your palamino? Beautiful horse!

Pagan Princess
02-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I get my chores done and try to squeeze in an hour or so. Most of my knitting get's done in the morning. I have trouble sleeping so it helps.

Nobones
02-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm making the effort to put the minimum of 1 hour a day knit time. I've been doing o.k and often spend most of my evening knitting. (Nothing on telly)

I'm also making more of an effort to do knitting in my knit time and less talking about knitting. I'm finding I'm getting stuff done! :teehee:

Sanibelle
02-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Usually I knit at lunch at work if I do not have to go out for something. Then, after dinner, I usually watch TV and knit till I got to sleep - usually 2-3 hours.

SabrinaJL
02-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Since I have no job, I get to knit for as many hours as I want to knit. I do homeschool, but I will knit while I'm sitting there going over lessons with my daughter. You'd think I'd get a ton of knitting done, but I also read a lot.

Debkcs
02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I have trouble sleeping so it helps.

I do also, Lisa, not sure if I like the reason, though it is good productive time.

KnittinMitchie
02-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Over the next few weeks I don't know how much knitting I'll be able to get done. We are leaving Sunday to head for Florida. I would like to get my orange socks finished while in the car. Once I get to Florida on Tuesday I want to cast on The Weasley Sweater for my mom. I'm hoping the sweater will take me through the end of February, but if not I've got some smaller projects lined up to work on while I'm gone.