PDA

View Full Version : Just Dealt a 1-2 Punch! *Update Page 3*

stacyk9
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I feel like I'm falling apart here lately. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and then today when my blood work came in I was told my LDL was 166!!!! That scares me half to death!!! That is in the high risk for heart disease range. I'm only 34!! I'm not supposed to have these problems! I just want to break down and cry, but I'm at work so I can't. I don't even really have anyone to talk to about it because my so-called best friend and only friend is no longer my friend as of last week and poor DH is trying so hard to help me through this, but I don't want to burden him all the time. I called him as soon as I got the results and he said whatever the cost and time, we would hire a dietician and personal trainer to at least get me started. He is such a sweetheart!!!:heart: I guess more than anything I'm just scared. I know I'm not the only one dealing with such health issues and there are certainly people who are dealing with much more than I am, but it was just such a blow to my self esteem and with no one to confide in, I just feel like it's all building up inside of me and it's going to explode in a mirade of emotions!!

Ugh!! I guess I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I wish I could just leave the office for a little bit and just take a walk, but the other secretary only works on Monday, Wednesday and half day Fridays. That issue is a whole other post!!!!

Stacy

alleusion
02-05-2008, 01:41 PM
I have PCOS too. It's totally manageable and can even end up going away over time. I haven't been tested recently, but I have been off my meds for about 2 years. Plus I got pregnant with no problems...and I know PCOS can cause fertility issues.

The cholesterol is a little more upsetting. But, I'll bet you can get it down.

iza
02-05-2008, 01:55 PM
:hug: Hang in there! The good thing is that you are aware of your LDL level now, and you can do something about it. It will require some changes in your life, but your DH seems very supportive so that will help you a lot. There are tons of people with the same problem, and it is fairly well understood. If you get all the professional help you need, it is possible to overcome it. :hug:

auburnchick
02-05-2008, 02:15 PM
:hug:

A wonderful book to help you..."The Maker's Diet," by Jordan Rubin.

Hang in there.

scout52
02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh I am so sorry you had such a horrible morning!!

Just know you can come here anytime you need to vent and we will be here for you anytime!!:muah: :muah: :hug: :hug: :hug:

eating oatmeal every morning helped me lower my cholesterol by 30 pts!! and it was already at a healthy level. (my bf is a good influence on me!)

your husband sounds like a WONDERFUL man!! with his support, the personal trainer and us here at KH , you will meet your goals!!

lelvsdgs
02-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Yes, the LDL is scary but you can control it with diet, excercise and medication. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high choloesterol just before I turned 43. I have been able to control both with low dose medication and diet changes and excercise. My goal is to lose some more weight and get off the meds totally. So I know it's scary but there are treatments. And be glad they caught it now so you can be proactive in getting and keeping it under control. Hang in there...:muah:

lelvsdgs
02-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Oh I am so sorry you had such a horrible morning!!

Just know you can come here anytime you need to vent and we will be here for you anytime!!:muah: :muah: :hug: :hug: :hug:

eating oatmeal every morning helped me lower my cholesterol by 30 pts!! and it was already at a healthy level. (my bf is a good influence on me!)

your husband sounds like a WONDERFUL man!! with his support, the personal trainer and us here at KH , you will meet your goals!!
My father and my doctor told me to add Cinnamon of all things to my diet. I have and it seems to be working.

Jan in CA
02-05-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry you're having such a rough day!

I was diagnosed young with hypertension and high cholesterol, too. I am on medication for the blood pressure and was able to lower my cholesterol. For me losing weight and diet control alone didn't do it, but when I added plant sterols it actually worked. They are in fruits and vegetables and now have been added to other foods. It can't hurt to add them to your diet along with exercise.

Benecol and Take Control Margarines
Healthy Heart Granola Bars

Here's a link to more and more info.
http://www.corowise.com/products.html

Sharly
02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey Stacy! We all believe you can get this under control! I'm so glad you found out about it before it led to other issues!!

Your hubby sounds like a dear!!

Take care!

stacyk9
02-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for the support. I always know I can turn to my fellow KHers for great information!

Stacy

DQ
02-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Good luck, I hope you will be feeling better and healthier soon

boo1
02-05-2008, 07:42 PM
add all of the other symptoms that I have, it's obvious that I have PCOS. I find this out, even though I requested the test last year, after two miscarriages.

I'm on metformin (glucophage) to control the IR. I hope it helps me with the fertility issue as well.

Please take care of yourself.

Hugs,
Laura

Knitting_Guy
02-05-2008, 08:04 PM
We more often than not have no control over the things that happen to us or around us.

We do have control over how we choose to react to them.

Indygirl
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
We more often than not have no control over the things that happen to us or around us.

We do have control over how we choose to react to them. Very good advice Mason.

Dangles
02-05-2008, 08:17 PM
:hug: I'm sorry to hear you had such a rough morning. We're here anytime if you need to vent.

Good point, Mason. I couldn't have said it better myself.

cristeen
02-05-2008, 09:08 PM
It is a difficult call to get, I know. Especially when you're stuck at the office. :hug:

But, PCOS is not the end of the world. Do what you need to to control it though. The high cholesterol is to be expected, it is a common problem that goes hand-in-hand with PCOS. I would question what your ratio was, since the one number by itself doesn't mean that much. Both PCOS and high cholesterol are highly impacted by diet. Sugar and refined grains are your biggest culprits with both issues.

You can find several wonderful communities of PCOSers, knowledgable about dealing with the dietary considerations. One of them can be found at MDC (www.mothering.com/discussions) in the Finding Your Tribe section.

If you're planning on working with a dietitian, I would highly recommend asking them before hiring them if they have experience dealing with PCOS. Many don't, and the dietary concerns with PCOS are different than for non-PCOSers. You could also ask if they work with the South Beach or Atkins diet, and if they react negatively to that question, I wouldn't hire them. Low carb diets are generally the most effective treatment of PCOS. Some doctors will recommend going on birth control pills, but that's just a band-aid. They may offer you Metformin as well, but I would recommend trying to control it with diet first, as Metformin can have some nasty side effects.

HTH

Chikky
02-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Aye to Mason.

And I hear you on many things, here. I'm 28 and they can't figure out what's wrong with me. Plus, aside from those things, I've found before that I have endometriosis and my hormones don't... work right. I don't ovulate correctly so if I ever choose to have a child it will be extremely difficult.

I often think about my age, and my problems. Though, I did start reading a book that has begun to help me, at least mentally and emotionally.

SusanAnn
02-06-2008, 07:52 AM
You've got a lot of good advice here, I don't think anyone has mentioned this site yet: http://www.soulcysters.net/index.php it's one that I have found useful. There are several sections about dealing with PCOS and other health problems, you might find something that helps you there.

ecb
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I feel like I'm falling apart here lately. Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and then today when my blood work came in I was told my LDL was 166!!!! That scares me half to death!!! That is in the high risk for heart disease range. I'm only 34!! I just feel like it's all building up inside of me and it's going to explode in a myriad of emotions!!
Ugh!! I guess I just needed to vent a little. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I wish I could just leave the office for a little bit and just take a walk, but ...
Stacy
Finding a knowledgeable dietitian will Help you balance a low carb diet, this can help big time with both issues. Please do not fall into the mindset that low carb is only eating meat, you have to eat a TON of green leafy veggies, and they do have very good low carb oatmeal, and you can add Flaxmeal to it to give your body BACK a 1 - 2 Punch (that can feel really good)

dustinac
02-06-2008, 09:36 AM
:hug:

Secksiebrat
02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
I have endometriosis (which can run hand in hand with PCOS) but at this point I haven't been diagnosed with PCOS. There is a lot of things you can do to help control the PCOS. The biggest thing I learned from having endo is do your research. The more you know the better. Unfortuantely there is only a handful of doctors in the US that really know and study endometriosis. You need to educate yourself so you can figure out the best things for you. There is even a lot of natural things you can to help yourself.

For years I was in continous pain. I coudln't get up and function I hurt so bad. I got off all my meds (I wouldn't suggest that without researching first though) and started eating better, excersizing (weight has never been an issue for me) and taking vitamins and something called NPC (natural progestrone cream). That in itself has made a world of difference. Now I'm not curred, I still have bad days, but atleast 24 days of the month I feel great. Before I was lucky to have 4 good days the ENTIRE month! The NPC also helped me to conceive my son!

Research sweetie. That's all I can stress. Because the doctors don't know everything and only YOU know how you really feel inside!

*big hugs*

~danielle~

Abbily
02-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh, Stacy, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so alone dealing with all of this! Sounds like your husband is wonderful, and I know you'll always be able to find lots of support here. Maybe you can hook up with some of the KHers in your area, too. I don't have any good advice for you, but just wanted to add my HUGS!

CountryKitty
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
:grphug:

Crash course in simple stress relief:
The act of breathing deeply and slowly eases the tension of the muscles in your chest that can tighten up the chest and increase pressure on your heart and lungs, slows your lungs so that they work more efficiently at exchanging oxygen for metabolic wastes, plus when you take in more oxygen your heart doesn't need to beat as fast or as often. All of this eases tension and stress, so take time several times a day to just breathe. Try lying down with your eyes closed and your hands on your abdomen...breathe in with the muscles of your abdomen loose enough so that your belly rises and falls with your breathing. After several breaths move your hands to your chest and try to expand your ribcage with every breath so that your chest rises and falls. And remember when you are sitting to sit upright...slouching forward actually compresses your ribcage and makes it hard for you to take more than small breaths (low oxygen levels actually cause anxiety to rise as a biochemical response).

DO research the conditions and learn all you can.

DO investigate all medicinal and non medicinal treatments--but remember that they don't all mix safely so consult your doctor or pharmacist (some herbs have side effects, and some meds require you to avoid certain foods).

DO come here and vent a little, and update us all on how you're doin'!:heart:

stacyk9
02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Thank you all again for all the wonderful love and advice! Once I got home from work the other day I sat and talked to DH and it helped me get my anxiety about the situation under control. I've done alot of research and I decided I didn't need to go to a dietician, just yet. My doctor recommended a low-glycemic diet, basically as if I were diabetic, so I bought the book "The Insulin Resistance Diet". I found it from a PCOS message board and everyone there really seemed to find the "diet" very simple to follow and very easy to adapt into "regular life". If I just can't get it on my own, I happen to know a dietician and I will start meeting with her. I also went to the recreation center here on campus where I get a discount since I am an employee and signed up for the semester, so I will start working out next week. While I was signing up I noticed a couple exercise bikes, the kind where you sit back and just move your feet, and the ladies on the bikes were reading magazines. I think this sounds like an excuse to bring my knitting with me. Who can beat knitting and exercising at the same time?!?

After stepping back a little bit and thinking of the situation, I can see that maybe this was a good thing. I have been talking about getting healthy and starting to exercise for so long that it just became rhetoric for me, but this has given me the push I needed to actually make it happen. Not only will this benefit me, but my DH and DS as well. It wouldn't hurt for all of us to be eating a little healthier!

Sharly
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Atta girl! :yay:

texas1107
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Good for Stacy!! I'm proud of you for turning this into a positive situation. You'll do great now!!

cookworm
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Stacy! I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. :heart: It's very scary to be diagnosed with something that is very serious. I too have PCOS, and cinnamon is said to help with insulin resistance, as is glucophage (insulin resistance can go along with PCOS); glucophage is also prescribed to help with conception. A higher "bad" cholesterol and a lower "good" cholesterol are pretty common with PCOS, and as I mentioned above, insulin resistance can be too; it can lead to something called "Syndrome X". Try replacing your foods with whole grains only--no "white" foods (white potatoes, white flour, white bread, white rice, etc.) as much as you can, plenty of fresh or frozen fruits and veggies, and add "good" fats to your diet--omega 3 primarily (flaxseed oil and fish are two sources); coconut oil is supposed to be a healthy fat source, too--I pop my popcorn in it :drool: . Of course, exercise and plenty of water are good things, but exercise is so hard when you are wiped out tired all the time. :sad:

Here are some PCOS sources of information that I hope can help you:
Natural remedy ideas (http://pcos.freeservers.com/natural.html) (but discuss with your doctor)
PCOS Association (http://www.pcosupport.org/medical/whatis.php)
Treatments (http://www.ivf.com/pcostreat.html)
Facts about PCOS (http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/964648419.html)

Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet's book, "It's My Ovaries, Stupid! (http://www.amazon.com/Its-Ovaries-Stupid-Elizabeth-Vliet/dp/0743210565/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product)", is a good source of information on female health in general. There is some information in there specifically about PCOS that may be helpful.

Just changing a few things in my diet alone helped my "good" cholesterol to increase, so it doesn't necessarily mean you have to make a lot of huge changes to make a difference. The best thing you can do to be a fighter is to arm yourself with lots of knowledge. You know your own body best, better than any doctor will. After reading from various sources on PCOS and gathering advice, try some things that make sense to you to help your health, starting with the most basic part which is diet and exercise. If something the doctor prescribes or advises doesn't feel right, tell them, and be persistent. It sounds like common sense, but there are some doctors that don't really want to take symptoms seriously and kind of dismiss things. Your health is important, your body is important, and don't let anyone brush you off. We're all here if you need to talk. :heart: