PDA

View Full Version : Ever have a pattern that you just keep messing up even though it's not hard? >>>

boo1
02-06-2008, 07:10 AM
I'm dealing with this right now.

Do the knitting goddesses not want me to make this?

Anyone else have this problem?

Debkcs
02-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Yes, one of Cat Bordhi's sock patterns. Ishkaboodle, it's gone!

But Bool, I have faith that you CAN do it, especially if you ask for some help from the experts here.

WandaT
02-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Yup, wanted to make myself a Fat Bottom Bag (from S&B Happy Hookers) from some suede a picked up. Made one last year wtih no problem. I know I must've started that thing about 10 times and still couldn't get it to come out right. I finally just put it away and moved on to something else. Maybe next time I try to make it the knitting goddesses will let me. LOL

gingerbread
02-06-2008, 07:30 AM
Yup the knitting goddess was there when I wanted to knit a shawl. It was the Ripple Shawl by Lion Brand. I tried it every once in a while and nope just can not do it. I made sure I had the right number of stitches. Counted all the repeats and by the third row it was all a mess. Two many stitches or two little. I am now convinced that it is not the pattern for me. I just love the ripple too. :sad:

WandaT
02-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Yup the knitting goddess was there when I wanted to knit a shawl. It was the Ripple Shawl by Lion Brand. I tried it every once in a while and nope just can not do it. I made sure I had the right number of stitches. Counted all the repeats and by the third row it was all a mess. Two many stitches or two little. I am now convinced that it is not the pattern for me. I just love the ripple too. :sad:

I would chalk that up to it being a Lion pattern ... I seem to ALWAYS have problems with their patterns! LOL

Eccie
02-06-2008, 08:45 AM
yup, I can't seem to make a sock. I have the needles, I have the yarn, I have teh pattern. I cast on and then I realize it's too small, or too large, or twisted on the needles. They just don't want to be made just yet.

Ronda
02-06-2008, 09:11 AM
It happens to me frequently.

boo1
02-06-2008, 09:26 AM
But Bool, I have faith that you CAN do it, especially if you ask for some help from the experts here.

On this particular pattern, I don't even need help as the pattern is pretty straightforward with repeating sections. But inevitably, I find I made an error. I ignore it, continue on, and oops, another error!

It's making me crazy but I am determined. I'm considering frogging it and starting over with a fresh mind. And maybe some attention to detail? Please???

KnittingNoob
02-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh my goddess, YES! This JUST happened to me last night. I'm trying desperately to do the TwinkleToes pattern from knitty using rowan calmer yarn. At first, I was having issues because I couldn't find calmer (too lazy to order online) but my LYS has it. Now, I CANNOT get the darned w&t to work without holes! I'm following Cat Borhdi's videos and she makes it look sooo easy. But this confounded calmer is so elastic, I'm having a heck of a time even seeing the wraps when i get to them! Calmer my @ss!!!! lol

P.S. did i mention i've frogged this thing 6 times!

Lisa R.
02-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I was just dealing with this the last two nights. First, I simply got my count off, and had to choose between unknitting an entire 88 stitch round, or going ahead with it and changing a bunch of purls to knits and knits to purls at various places. I chose the latter, but I kept confusing myself. Finally, got it fixed, and knitted on.

Last night, same hat, I dropped the stitch marker for the start of the round, and was about 3 inches past where it should have been. So, I tinked that (which happened to involve cables!), and headed off again. And after the cables, realized I'd held them in front instead of behind. So, I had to go back again.

However, I refused to admit defeat, and carried on with success to the end of the row--and promptly put it down till another time!!! I'll pick it back up tonight or this weekend.

misha rf
02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
You are SO not alone!

The first time I made a ball-band dishcloth, it took forever. My poor husband actually left the room & took cover elsewhere! My brain just kept twisting the directions. I think it took about 8 tries over 2 nights before it finally clicked. :doh:

The first time I made the Forest Canopy Shawl, I just couldn't get how the pretty edge was constructed. Yes, I saw the directions. Read them. Didn't get how I was supposed to do it. See, I did read the section that said it was a top-down construction, but my brain didn't register that fact. I thought I was knitting from the bottom up! :roflhard: (Feel free to laugh!) I went so far as to email the pattern's creator & ask. She was incredibly nice about it. And my shawl did turn out lovely.

Knowing me, this will happen again, and again, and again!!

msmelody
02-06-2008, 12:06 PM
If things good right with a pattern, I get nervous that something else in my life is going to go wrong. I made five perfect items and MIL dies. Frog projects more than once and everything great:roflhard: . So bring on the knitting problems in my life, make the rest of it seem great.

Newbie2Knitting
02-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Mmmm-hmmm. Doing this right now. I'm making a pretty easy backpack for my DD. Very simple, St st with an intarsia flower in the middle. Somehow, someway I've messed it up in several places. I am just thanking the knitting gods that it's gonna be felted and no one will ever know how much it was screwed up.

boo1
02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh my goddess, YES! This JUST happened to me last night. I'm trying desperately to do the TwinkleToes pattern from knitty using rowan calmer yarn. At first, I was having issues because I couldn't find calmer (too lazy to order online) but my LYS has it. Now, I CANNOT get the darned w&t to work without holes! I'm following Cat Borhdi's videos and she makes it look sooo easy. But this confounded calmer is so elastic, I'm having a heck of a time even seeing the wraps when i get to them! Calmer my @ss!!!! lol

P.S. did i mention i've frogged this thing 6 times!

Six? I think I'm tied with you. :wall:

Quiltlady
02-06-2008, 09:43 PM
For me its the "baby surprise sweater". I made one and did fine but ripped it out half way thru due to wanting to use different yarn. Then I tried to knit it two more timed and NEVER got it right. Something was always "off". So I gave up!! But I have since made a lot of other more complicated sweaters perfectly...so I don't know what the problem was.:knitting:

holamiis
02-07-2008, 01:13 AM
I cannot seem to get lace down... i don't know what it is but I have not gotten a single, simple K2tog, YO, pattern completed.... what the heck is up with that?

gatorjade
02-07-2008, 01:46 AM
I just wrote a blog post a few days ago talking about this very same thing! For the life of me, I've never had so many problems with a pattern as much as I have for the tunic I'm knitting. Don't let it frustrate you! You'll get it. :thumbsup:

cindycactus
02-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes. That is when I take a break or go to something else I am knitting. :knitting:

Plantgoddess+
02-07-2008, 11:08 AM
I did an afghan that I had to frog a couple of times before I could get the pattern to line up. For some reason I just couldn't get the yo's and pattern stitches to line up properly. I also found I hate working on #15 circulars so the next one I dropped down to #11's for a similar pattern afghan and had no problems.

knittingymnast
02-07-2008, 04:55 PM
It happens to me whenever I try to knit sweaters. This time, success will be mine!