PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Wool

gingergal4l8r
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
My grandmother is 90 this year and because of her sore hands, she is no longer knitting.

The sweet thing gave me all of her yarn and wool collection.
OMG, DH is going to crap when he sees how much I have accumulated in ONE day.

The question I have...
In the mix of great product is bag loads of buffalo wool.
Now is looks like a chunky, but I have no idea on what to knit or what size of needles.
Do remember that my grandmother is 90, so I think that this wool was bought in the 70's. Good thing she is a storage expert!!!

Anyone have any ideas????
Love to hear them.

knit2btied
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
What did your grandmother use it for, I wonder?

gingergal4l8r
02-08-2008, 05:14 PM
What I know about it.

Back in the day, White Buffalo yarn, was used for making Indian Jackets. They are completely water proof.

It is more a Canadian thing from what I have read but I do know that it is really hard to find patterns for this product. I thought maybe someone has used it before.

My grandma made toques and scarves and sweaters with it.

annek2000
02-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Green with envy:mrgreen: they let me touch the buffalo wool at the LYS and it was love at first touch --- softest thing I've ever felt, but definitely out my budget at $70.00+ a hank!

chrislt8
02-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Knitters Review here (http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/080207_a.asp) and here (http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/080207_a.asp) has recently had some posts regarding buffalo yarn - may interest you to read those for some general info...

Lucky, lucky you!!! Too bad your grandmother can no longer knit, but it was so kind of her to pass her goods on to you!

fibrenut
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
K I have a question, (don't shoot me guys) Are you talking about the brand "Buffalo Wool" or are you talking about actual "bison wool"
Buffalo wool was ( I think) discontinued in the nineties when Patons bought out the company. It's very hard to find it now. It was basically used for the Cowichen style sweaters and was spun in a very unique way. Making pancakes of yarn instead of balls or skeins or hanks.

Now on the other hand, bison wool, is sorta new on the market, unless your grandma was a savvy woman (which all granma's are BTW) and was somehow able to acquire some bison wool back in the day. Well and it's actually from bison or buffalo. This stuff only comes in natural colors (beiges, browns, almost blacks) and from what I hear is very hard to dye. But, also from what I hear, is just to die for when knitting with.

gingergal4l8r
02-09-2008, 12:55 AM
This is what the cover says....

Carded 100% Pure Virgin Wool
for White Buffalo Canadian Sweater
6 strands
Made in Brandon, Manitoba Canada

So this is the discontinued product.
This is the wool that is used for the Cowichan Sweaters.
I searched online. My Nana gave me a pattern for 2 different sweaters, but each bag only contains 227 g (8 bags, 3 black/ brown and 4 white.) Not enough to make a sweater, I am thinking about maybe a hat and scarf set.

I was reading on this product, 100% water proof. The wool actually repels water. I can not tell you how soft this wool is, I can't believe it is being discontinued.

knitgal
02-09-2008, 09:16 AM
It's made in the same town that my parents live in! That's so cool!
Sorry- I have no info for you, I just thought that was really neat.

Plantgoddess+
02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
The patterns I have for that yarn calls for multiple colors in a sweater. If I understand you correctly you have over 1800g of yarn total. Is that enough for a sweater?
I'm jealous, I never found the yarn locally and am not sure how I ended up with a pamphlet of patterns. I think I also have some sweater patterns for that yarn in some old knitting magazines from the 80's.

gingergal4l8r
02-09-2008, 11:50 AM
I think I would have enough for a small sweater, but I would hate to run out and not be able to finish.

I am still pretty new at knitting, my start date is the join date for knitting help.

I would hate to ruin a beautiful sweater. Man do I need some knitting confidence.

This must come from my first sweater I made in Dec of 2006. My first project, a cable running down the front and basic everywhere else.

Well, if the cast from Flash dance were ever cold they would fight for this sweater as it was a half top.

Arms were for a monkey and well if you were able to get it over your head, you would feel like you just got a chemical peel. :teehee:

Maybe I should practice..... :knitting:

gingergal4l8r
02-09-2008, 11:54 AM
It's made in the same town that my parents live in! That's so cool!
Sorry- I have no info for you, I just thought that was really neat.

The company name is METEV WOLLEN MILLS LTD.

Maybe your parents remember it and might have a story or two for you.

SCT
05-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I was searching for ideas on what do to with Buffalo Wool when I came across your post. On a trip to British Columbia I stayed at an inn that had slippers made from this wool. The owner put me in touch with the knitter, who sent me a shop in Victoria. I didn't want to lug the big round "cakes" of it so I ordered it online when I came home. They were trying to get rid of their old stock so I (foolishly) bought it all. If you are still looking for some, I still have quite a lot of it in quite a few colors. The only things I've made with it are mittens and slippers.

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
What is it they say about only taking 7 people to know everyone in the world- I think that number shrinks when in Canada!!! I am from Vancouver island and have family in Brandon too!! Sorry for the hijack..just a weird coincidence! Maybe you could make a toque and slippers?

Hah! I wrote a post the same time as the person above..I am from Victoria...What inn did you stay at?

SCT
05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I stayed in a B&B in Sooke. I'd have to look up the name. But I think the wool came from a shop called the Beehive (or something like that) in Victoria.

pinktoque
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Is buffalo wool similar to quiviut? I saw cakes of quiviut at the Banff Springs when I was in Banff earlier this spring and it was to die for, but like $90CAD per teeeeeeeny tiny cake. I wish I could've afforded enough for a scarf or a toque!

hookedonknitting
05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I stayed in a B&B in Sooke. I'd have to look up the name. But I think the wool came from a shop called the Beehive (or something like that) in Victoria.

HEhe yes I know exactly where you are talking about! Well if *ginger needs to get more to make a bigger project maybe they know where to get more?! ( sry i didn't remember you full handle :S)

imrachel
05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
If it's a bulky yarn and you have 1800 yds, you have way more than you need for a sweater. The largest size of standard Lopi sweater patterns only call for 1200 yds!

SCT
05-11-2009, 08:08 PM
This isn't the quiviut from buffalo. I think it was a brand name of sheep wool. It's very chuncky, 6-ply, and comes in really big round cakes(8-10 inch diameter).as thick as anything I've run across. It seems to be used in Cowichan-type sweaters.

chookiechick
06-10-2009, 01:38 PM
What a coincidence - I have just found 9 balls of this yarn in Goodwill and was searching for information when I found this post.

I paid $1.99 per ball, so am very pleased with it!

knittingymnast
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
What did your grandmother use it for, I wonder?

Yeah really....Hm....

TEMA
06-13-2009, 10:58 PM
Back in the day, I made about 40 Indian, or Buffalo sweaters for all the members of my family. It was a lovely yarn that is so good to your hands as you knit because of all the lanolin still in it.
I used really big needles - size 8 - 10, I'm thinking.
It knits up really nice and the sweaters are all long wearing.
About 10 years ago, I picked up some more Buffalo wool and knit my dh and myself vests...
Decided on the vest because the sleeves are raglin and take forever. This way we both got really nice sweaters and they didn't take me so long.
The Buffalo sweaters is where I learned to use different colours to knit a design... wonderful stuff!
TEMA:knitting:

tgwillis
06-13-2009, 11:59 PM
What a coincidence - I have just found 9 balls of this yarn in Goodwill and was searching for information when I found this post.

I paid $1.99 per ball, so am very pleased with it!

I never have that kind of luck. I haven't seen any yarn at our local thrift stores.

SusanJ
11-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Hi, Gingergal,
About the White Buffalo yarn; I would think that it is a bit too thick and itchy for hats and scarves. It lacks the suppleness that hats and scarves need. I think the idea of slippers or vests or sweaters would better suit that wool type.
I am in the process of knitting a sweater with this wool myself and found this website on google because I am looking for White Buffalo wool to complete my project. I really didn't know that it was no longer made so I am interested in buying some if anyone is interested in selling it. I too was given a bag of it by my daughter who found it at a thrift store so I happily started to knit. The balls are deceivingly large. They run out rather more quickly than I expected. So ... here I am with 3/4 of a sweater, running rapidly out of White Buffalo... Help!

jnshig
01-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Hi - I just joined KnittingHelp and while searching for Buffalo Wool came upon your post about your grandmother's gift. Would you be interested in selling some of it. I have started making Cowichan-type sweaters for dogs and am looking for mainly dark colours like grey, brown or black. I have found quite a bit of white in Elkford, BC of all places! I live on Vancouver. Thanks! Hope to hear from you.

Jocelyne [URL="http://www.dogwearknitter.com"]

rwd1105
01-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I found this, maybe it will help
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/020905_a.asp

ArtLady1981
01-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I found this, maybe it will help
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/020905_a.asp

Perfect article! Thanks for clearing up all the mystery!

ArtLady1981
01-02-2010, 05:08 PM
This isn't the quiviut from buffalo. I think it was a brand name of sheep wool. It's very chuncky, 6-ply, and comes in really big round cakes(8-10 inch diameter).as thick as anything I've run across. It seems to be used in Cowichan-type sweaters.

Right! :thumbsup:

Qiviut (http://www.qiviut.com/store/index.cfm?target=Fiber%20/%20Yarn)is the undercoat from the Musk Ox. Very soft, very warm, very fine, very rare, very expensive. My dream yarn!

Add to that Buffalo Gold yarn! Not to be confused with the White Buffalo yarn that is under discussion in this thread! Buffalo Gold worsted weight yarn is also very rare, and expensive. It would cost $600 to knit my husband a vest using Buffalo Gold yarn. Sigh. :pout: This yarn is procured from the American Bison. Natural, undyed brownish colors. Here (http://knittersreview.com/article_yarn.asp?article=/review/product/080131_a.asp)is Knitter's Review of the yarn.

StitchWitchBella
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
:woohoo: So Cowichan sweaters... yes i love them too. And the wool i know where you can get the exact same wool from a different supplier with a different name. Me. I go out to this very old mill and buy 6 strand unspun exactly like white buffalo wool. The only difference... no packaging. I can get it in 6 strand and 2 strand. I sell the 2 strand on ebay and have a hard time keeping up. I purchase it in large volume and sell it cheap. The 6 strand comes in a rainbow of colors and natural colors white light and dark grey black brown fawn. E-mail me if you would like some and tell everyone who knits these sweater i can help. With the 6 strand colored wool, i like to have a large order as i need to purchase 24 rolls per package, and don't want to have 18 sitting here forever. I usually stock the natural colors. I can send you pictures if you like. You will never know the difference as this is also 100% wool. Ciao Bella!!

StitchWitchBella
08-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Sorry, should have put in this link. This is the 2 strand unspun. Used for lighter cowichan sweaters.

StitchWitchBella
08-07-2010, 12:11 PM
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330432442868&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

borealowl
08-07-2010, 11:36 PM
I definitely envy you the yarn your grandmother left you. I have a pattern from Briggs and Little (a Canadian yarn) that would be suitable for this and they have a similar yarn. It is similar to the Cowichan sweaters with a zipper down the front and you could use your yarn with it. Sounds like you have plenty if you do a color pattern. Maybe it would just be a good idea to hang on to it awhile to you feel more confident with your knitting.

borealowl
08-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I was just doing some websurfing and found some good sites. One is kelyarns.com in Kelowna, B.C. They carry Briggs and Little Roving and Custom Woolen Mills Prairie Wool, both of which are similar to the White Buffalo. They also have some patterns, some of them free. Or you can also go to the suppliers websites like briggsandlittle.com and customwoolenmills.com. B&L has patterns that are suitable for the yarn you have.

margrue
08-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Lucky you! I looked at some buffalo yarn at a new yarn store in town last week and it is really expensive. The store had a display of it with some winter hats and scarves made up, and sold patterns. What they had seemed more like worsted weight though.
I imagine if you find a scarf pattern made with chunky weight yarn, see what the gauge is for that, and work up a swatch with your yarn you will have a better idea what your yarn's weight is.
Maybe if you do a search for "buffalo yarn" you can find pictures of things made out of it.

GloryJ
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I just found this site and had to join today.
Have some Buffalo wool patterns for children and I am sure there is adult sweater patterns somewhere. Also Chinook toque and mitts . Chinook can be interchanged with Buffalo wool.
Vests are a good thing to make, but I have never had a pattern for a vest, used a set in sleeve sweater pattern. Fun to work with buffalo, the project grows fast.

mhird
07-01-2011, 01:55 PM
:yay: Green with envy:mrgreen: they let me touch the buffalo wool at the LYS and it was love at first touch --- softest thing I've ever felt, but definitely out my budget at $70.00+ a hank!

You can also make hats, and slippers. I have patterns for both and sweaters, I can scan and email them to you. Also if you want to get rid of it, I can purchse it from you.

Thanks
Monica

mhird
07-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I just found this site and had to join today.
Have some Buffalo wool patterns for children and I am sure there is adult sweater patterns somewhere. Also Chinook toque and mitts . Chinook can be interchanged with Buffalo wool.
Vests are a good thing to make, but I have never had a pattern for a vest, used a set in sleeve sweater pattern. Fun to work with buffalo, the project grows fast.

I have a vest pattern if you are interested.