PDA

View Full Version : Knitting two socks at a time?

heather_dw
02-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I saw this book on Knitpicks called "2 at a time socks" I want to get it, but I have no idea what kind of needles it asks for. I hate getting a book home and then not having the needles.

Does anyone have this book?

see second post too, lol

heather_dw
02-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Actually, I really just want to learn to make two socks at once, it doesn't have to be this specific book. Anyone have suggestions for me?

alleusion
02-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Try this (http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm)tutorial by Silver. While I'm not making 2 at once, I refer to it often for some of the little techniques she has in there.

Mystery_Gyrl
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
That particular sock knitting book just came out in December, so it is a relatively "new" book. If you would like to see some reviews about it check out amazon.com It has received 6 reviews that might be helpful to you.

If you want to learn the technique right now you can check-out Silvers sock tutorial as recommended by alleusion or the one at this web site also http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm
Good luck.
Katrina

Jaxhil
02-08-2008, 07:43 PM
I just recently got this book and am currently making the first (learning) pair of socks. It's a pair of toddler socks, using size four 40" circs-I am actually using my options size 4-47" because that's what I have. She recommends a worsted weight yarn, and while she suggests using the same colors as she is for the example pics, I am just using some wool-ease I have on hand, in two colors (blue and yellow).

It's going really well, and once you get past the initial rows, it seems *very* easy-of course, I am only up to working on the heel flaps, so that could change, lol!

I would think you could learn the technique online, without problem. However, I thought the book was a worthwhile purchase because I like a lot of the sock patterns she gives after the initial sample socks. It was a lot less $$ than the other book I was considering (Knitting Circles Around Socks), too. Plus this method only requires *one* needle! Less $$ for extra needles in the same size!

I just want to mention, I am fairly new to sock knitting, and I have been referring to Getting Started Knitting Socks by Ann Budd while I work on getting this magic loop 2-at-a-time sock thing going, and it is really helping to clarify the process for me.

I hope that helps some! I'm having a ball making these and I really think I'm going to love this method! And I actually like DPN's, but wanted to try this just to see if I could and of course if I liked it. Good luck!

diny0
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
The enlarged image of the cover on Amazon indicates 2 Socks At A Time teaches the technique of knitting 2 socks on one circular needle.

I recently bought the book Knitting Circles Around Socks. It teaches the technique of knitting 2 socks on two circular needles at one time. I had never done this before. I cast them on two nights ago and didn't have to redo it. I am so excited! I am just working on the legs so we will see how it goes but I can attest to the detail in this book if I was able to start the socks in one go, never having done it before.

Diane

harleequinn88
10-09-2010, 09:04 PM
And I actually like DPN's, but wanted to try this just to see if I could and of course if I liked it. Good luck!

If you end up liking this method but still love your DPN's I would try doing a pair of socks two at a time on DPN's!!! Its a technique I found while looking up more patterns for two at a time socks (cause I also bought the book) and I found this I'm knitting my first pair now and it can get confusing but I LOVE my DPNs over the magic loop :) basically your knitting two socks one inside the other on DPNs using a double knit technique. here's the website...

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

P.s. There is also a TOE-UP two at a time socks verison. ;)

RuthieinMaryland
10-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi! :waving:

I have both Ann Budd's "Getting Started Knitting Socks" and Melissa Morgan-Oaks 2 at a time on one long circular needle book. I LOVE them both!!!

Once I learned the two at a time on one needle method I was completely hooked! Now whenever I have anything to knit that requires two of the same piece (gloves, mittens, leg warmers,sleeves, and of course socks) I go with Melissa. It's so great to have both pieces come out the same length without having to count rows!

It's an awesome skill to develop. I would recommend, though, that you get very familiar with sock techniques first so that the 2 at a time on one needle won't be confusing. It's a lot to take in when you're uncertain about the basic how to for socks and then try to do two at once!!!

I also tried the two at a time on 2 needles and found it awkward but that's, of course, a matter of preference. For me the one needle deal was terrific.

As far as the Extreme Knitting of two socks at a time, one inside the other, that is totally FUN, FUN, FUN! It nearly scrambled my brain until things clicked into place. I first learned the technique doing a pair of leg warmers but my next project will be the socks so I can learn the shaping for that method. Also, I used one long circular needle although it can be done on DPN's as well.

Mainly, have fun with it! When I first started learning to knit socks I wanted to try out every possible way there was to knit them and made it my crusade to learn each technique. My thinking was that was the only way I'd ever figure out which was the best for me. What actually happened is that along the way I picked up so many new and wonderful skills that I have this broad repertoire of techniques at my disposal and many of them apply to other projects besides socks! And I can choose whatever method of sock knitting appeals to me at the moment because I've learned several.

So anything you learn in your explorations will be to your advantage. Learn, knit, enjoy....and spread the joy!

Happy knitting (and learning)

Ruthie

Ellieblue
10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
knitpicks has a free pattern for doing this .

RuthieinMaryland
10-19-2010, 07:11 PM
knitpicks has a free pattern for doing this .

Hi, Ellie,

Do you have a link for this pattern? I'd love to find it!

Thanks,
Ruthie

HollyP
10-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi, Ellie,

Do you have a link for this pattern? I'd love to find it!

Thanks,
Ruthie
http://www.knitpicks.com/cfpatterns/pattern_display.cfm?ID=50631220

I love this method. I don't think I would ever finish a pair of socks if I knit them independently.

RuthieinMaryland
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey, Holly!

Thanks for this. I use this one-needle two at a time method most and it's wonderful.

But what Ellie was talking about (I think...) is knitting two socks at the same time but one inside the other. It's a type of double knitting that produces two completely separate socks and can be done on circs or double points. It's very magical when you finish and pull one sock out of the inside of the other! What a hoot!

Here's a link to the first article I found on the subject...
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

I used the method with leg warmers where I didn't have to fiddle with the shaping for heels and toes and it worked like a charm! What a rush!!! But I'm really looking forward to taking some time to try out the whole thing for socks.

Again, thanks for the link. I love it!

Happy knitting,

Ruthie

mat12
10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
I refer to it often for some of the little techniques she has in there.

Crycket
10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I just started knitting magic loop two at a time socks...top down...I don't like toe up socks, and I feel slightly jipped when I don't get to do a bit of kitchener stitch at the end...*smiles*

It was annoying at first, but once you get in the groove, they do move fairly quickly!

GinnyG
10-23-2010, 06:54 AM
This summer I learned how to tow two socks at once on two 24"inc circular needles, TOE UP. I'll never make a sock any other way again!!

There is a great book: Toe-Up 2 at a Time Socks by Melissa Morgan-Oakes with some wonderful patterns.